Character Selection, Creation, and Discussion

A group of strangers at a highway truck stop must cooperate to survive as the world becomes overwhelmed with legions of the living dead. But more terror awaits them as they race to prevent the end of mankind and the coming of the Zombie Apocalypse. (This is a Blood Brothers Campaign based on Call of Cthulhu Rules and the films of George Romero).

[This game accepts new players]

Moderator: Mr. Handy

He-who-is-Expendable
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Character Selection, Creation, and Discussion

Post by He-who-is-Expendable »

Ok, then I shall distribute guns skills accordingly. As a fighter on the mean streets of LA, its likely he learned that how to shoot pretty well, not so stupid as to think that everyone who he decided to beat-down would let him get close enpouph to mess them up with his bare hands, and haveing been in the airforce MP's for 17 years, he has probably gotten some experience with Guns. ok, last question, what weapons would I likely be given as an MP?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

You'd be issued a handgun, most likely a Beretta M9. You might also possibly get an additional weapon if you were skilled enough with one. For example, Sergeant Larry Dauterive is an MP, and he also has an M4 carbine.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
He-who-is-Expendable
Layman
Layman

Skills: Grapple:85 Martial Arts: 75 Law:30 Bargain:30 M9 Pistol:60 M4 Carbine:60
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

SKills don't start at zero. Every skill in Call of Cthulhu (with the exception of Cthulhu Mythos, which doesn't exist in this game) has a base skill level of at least 1%, often higher. This is what you roll against if you try to use a skill in which you haven't invested any points, and it is to this level that your points are added. Grapple has a base skill of 25%, Martial Arts(I presume you're going with Mixed) has a base skill of 1%, Bargain and Law both have a base skill of 5%, Handgun has a base skill of 20%, and Rifle has a base skill of 25%. This means you still have another 36 occupational skill points and 45 hobby skill points to spend. Use them wisely, since you don't have that many. You can find the base skill levels of other skills in a blank character sheet (available from Chaosium's site, including as part of the Quick Start rules - there's a link in the Rules and Guidelines thread).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
He-who-is-Expendable
Layman
Layman

Yes, I am mixed Martial arts. MMA. Skills: Grapple:85 Martial Arts: 80 Law:30 Bargain:32 M9 Pistol:65 M4 Carbine:65 Spot Hidden: 30 Phsychoanylize: 30 First Aid:40 Pursuade:35
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The points still aren't adding up correctly. The occupational skills you've put points into are Grapple, Martial Arts(Mixed), Law, Bargain, and First Aid, for a total of 199 out of 220 points. Your hobby skills are Handgun, Rifle, Spot Hidden, Psychoanalysis, and Persuade, for which you've spent 139 points, but you have only 120 to spend. It's possible that you've mixed up Psychoanalysis with Psychology, which is an occupational skill with a base level of 5%, but that would result in you having spent 224 points on occupational skills and only 110 on hobby skills. You may spend hobby points on your occupational skills too, but that still leaves you with 6 hobby points unspent.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
He-who-is-Expendable
Layman
Layman

sorry for the confusion, I meant Phsychology. I give the 6 points to Bargain. is that OK?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that works. I've posted your character sheet in the character sheets thread. I also added three other MPs to Gold. They appeared towards the end of Chapter 6, so I added them as Chapter 6 characters. They will have a little catching up required, but not much. If anyone else wants to play one of them, they're available.

Next I'll add information on the new characters to the Locations and Weapons thread, and I'll send you Gregor's secrets. I'll start up a new thread for them when I can, but I probably won't have time tonight. I'll try to get it done tomorrow night.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Laine »

Here is my character with the last of the skill points spent. Thank you.

Piauyu Deertrack:

Nationality: Dine(Navaho)

Strength: 7 Idea: 90%
Con: 11 Luck: 40%
Pow: 8 Know: 85%
Dex: 14 Sanity: 40%
App: 9 Hit Points: 11
Int: 18 Magic: 8
Size: 11
Ed: 17

Skills:
Climb: 70%
Dodge: 75%
Jump: 75%
Ride: 68%
Swim: 70%
Throw: 75%
Run: 80%
Natural History: 16%
Own Language(English):85%
Other Language(Navaho):15%
Occult(Navaho Rituals/Prayer): 40%
Spot Hidden: 55%
Listen: 55%
.Hide: 45%
Knife: 55%

Paiuyu Deer track grew up in a remote corner of the Navaho reservation. She and her brothers would run 6 miles everyday to the bus stop for school and the 6 miles back. Eventually she began to out run her brothers and her merit in running granted her scholarships to pursue a college career. She underwent culture shock as she entered the western world and her academic standing at the University of Nebraska was in jeopardy. Her commitment towards her sport was nearly religious and deeply seated in Navaho rituals and traditions.

Indeed her religious beliefs are hanging by a spider's silken thread as the zombie plague broke out her rituals became obsessive. Nearly everything she encounters has a superstitious perspective. How could it not now that the dead walk the earth.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Excellent! You're all set. The only other thing I need is a one-line in character quote for your character, much like you'll see in the other character sheets. I should have time to add your character sheet and get you into the game this weekend, when I plan to update all of the other threads with active players as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

"The bilaganna follow the road of the Ánt’įįhnii, because of their corpse poision now all of humanity will be punished. My people will face this struggle and survive, as the rest of the world collapses we will seek refuge in our pastures and mesas as we have always done. My people have survived centuries of genocide and we will survive this as well."
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

I'm sorry, but I couldn't find your post regarding starting equipment. Piauyu wouldn't have much, but I hope for the following.

Hunting knife
Several smaller knives for throwing
Back pack
A medicine box containing:

ritual feather fan with beadedmand carved handle with eagle and macaw feathers
Sage bundle
Cedar pouch
Dried grand father peyote
Small obsidian dagger
Fire stick with painted handle
Tobacco pouch
Traditional running moccasins

Also,
Piauyu is a rather thin woman with prominent bone structures in her face. She has a typical runners build and may come off as too thin compared to the average person. Her hair is thick, long and a deep black, she doesn't fit the western ideal of beauty(her massive mileage on foot has depleted her breasts) but still has her own charms.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

There are no problems with your equipment list, and it's approved. I've put your character sheet up and added your character to the locations and weapons thread. My Character Creation post in the Rules and Guidelines thread was where starting equipment is discussed, towards the bottom.

Thank you for your patience. I expect to send your secrets and have a new thread up for your character tonight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Pickman37
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Pickman37 »

I have chosen the following two pre-gen characters:

In Gold, Airman Jason Baker

In Sword, Rancher Jake Bell

I have reviewed the appropriate IC threads for each character and believe I'm ready to go!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great, they're both yours!

Jason Baker actually puts in an appearance at the end of Chapter 6, so you'll need to read much of the end of the Sword thread Ranger Danger in that chapter. His story starts in the last post on page 22 here and continues most of the way down page 23, until several of the characters leave Jason Baker and Peter McBain behind. Once you've read that and your characters' secrets, which I'll send you tonight, you may post in your characters' IC threads when you're ready.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Quinch
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years

Post by Quinch »

I'd like to take on the following characters:

SWORD: Staff Sergeant Larry Dauterive
GOLD: Airman Peter McBain

Hope that's ok.

Mike
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's okay, but both of these characters actually came in at the tail end of Chapter 6. If you still want to play them, you'll need to read the last few pages of Ranger Danger, one of the IC threads in Chapter 6, starting here. You can even read it all the way to the end, past the point where your characters are no longer present, as Carolyn Wagner will have informed her sergeant of what she observed. You'll also need to keep each character's knowledge separate from each other. If this is okay with you, let me know, and I'll PM you their secrets on Sunday.

Larry Dauterive's IC threads for Chapter 7 are Best Laid Plans followed by Deadly Mission (his current thread). You'll post for him in Deadly Mission when you're ready. Peter McBain's Chapter 7 thread is Martial Law, so you'll need to read that from the beginning. That's the thread in which you'll need to post. Once you've caught up and read your characters' secrets, you may start posting whenever you're ready. If you decide you want different characters instead, let me know.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Quinch, are you still around? I've been waiting for you to confirm your character choices before I send you their secrets.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Quinch
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 12 years

Post by Quinch »

Sorry, I've been away but I am now officially back. I'll post imminently. Sorry for messing you around.

Mike
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's okay, and thanks for posting. I'll write up your characters' secrets and PM them to you when I get the chance, probably later this weekend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Zombie Apocalypse”