Character Selection, Creation, and Discussion

A group of strangers at a highway truck stop must cooperate to survive as the world becomes overwhelmed with legions of the living dead. But more terror awaits them as they race to prevent the end of mankind and the coming of the Zombie Apocalypse. (This is a Blood Brothers Campaign based on Call of Cthulhu Rules and the films of George Romero).

[This game accepts new players]

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Character Selection, Creation, and Discussion

Post by Mr. Handy »

It'll be at least Friday night by the time I start posting character sheets, but I'll explain how character selection works here. Each player should choose three characters, though you are optionally allowed a total of four. The survivors are divided into three groups, as follows:
OVER: The helicopter group, and the new characters at an airfield in central Nebraska
UNDER: The characters trapped underground in the facility beneath the T-Bone
THROUGH: The characters on the surface in and around the motel, and new characters about to be added in that area

You may choose existing characters from the first two chapters at any time, provided you have read the relevant chapter(s). Characters introduced in Chapter 2 may be chosen if you have read that chapter. Characters introduced in Chapter 1 may be chosen if you have read both of the first two chapters.

There will be around 30 characters added for Chapter 3, and no prior reading is required to play them. New players get first choice of the new characters, since they are unlikely to have read the earlier chapters and thus would be unable to play existing characters. Though the character limit is four, you may only choose three initially so that other new players have a wider selection. Once every new player has chosen their three characters, the remaining characters are available for all to select. This means existing players may fill their slots with new characters, and new players are also free to choose a fourth character from those still available. This also means that the last new player to pick characters gets to choose up to four at once.

Characters are given out on a first come, first served basis. You pick them by replying to this thread and telling me which ones you want, and then I'll send you their secrets by PM. Once you've received their secrets, your decision is final.

There are three batches of new characters being introduced, one in the OVER group and two in the THROUGH group. Due to the situation, there are only existing characters in the UNDER group, but new ones may be introduced later in the chapter.

The following restrictions apply to choosing starting characters:
  • You may have no more than four characters in all
  • You may have a maxmium of two characters in any one group. If you do choose two characters from the same group, you should take them from different subgroups. I'll explain what the subgroups are when I post the character sheets. For instance, the OVER group consists of the existing characters on the helicopter, National Guard characters at the airfield, Nebraska State Police characters at the airfield, and civilian characters at the airfield.
  • The only exception to the above restriction is that you may have three characters in the THROUGH group if they are not all in the same batch and you already have one character in either the OVER or UNDER group. This is because the OVER group has the smallest number of characters and may run out if every new player takes two of them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Re: Character Selection and Discussion

Post by OathinBlood »

I'm intrigued most by the THROUGH, so I'll probably go for a single character there. I want to play another character in the OVER, but I'm not sure I'm up for it. We'll see. ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The OVER characters are up now. I'll try to get the UNDER and then the THROUGH characters up tonight. If you're a new player, you should only choose one of the OVER characters for now. This is the smallest group, and most of the new characters are in THROUGH. Character who are already being played by someone else are marked in green, and those who are played by the Keeper are marked in blue. Some of these latter characters have been bitten by zombies, so you might not want to play someone with a short amount of time to live. Others are important to the plot and/or rather involved. If you really want to play one of them, let me know and I'll see if we can work something out, but be prepared for a challenge.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The UNDER characters and most of the THROUGH characters are now up as well, but I might not be able to get the last batch of characters up until tomorrow. If you're a new player and you want to choose characters before that, I recommend only taking two at this point in case you see others you want in the final group.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

So Mr. Handy,
Let me get this correct.
1) I have to wait until the newbys have picked thier characters before I can choose my 4th guy
2) Since Alice and Jim are in the Under group and Bobby is in the through group I cannot choose anyone else in the under group but I can choose one in the over group or one in the through group right?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

1) Yes, unless you decide you want an existing character rather than one of the new ones. Then you can choose that character at any time. I won't be able to post the rest of the characters until tomorrow, but if you don't see any new characters you like after that you might want to go ahead and choose an existing character.

2) Yes, that's correct. You can either take a second character in THROUGH or one of the OVER characters. You already have two characters in UNDER, so you shouldn't have a third.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by OathinBlood »

I've decided on my characters. Good selection - a lot of them are interesting.

UNDER - Michael Walters, British Psychologist

THROUGH - Igor Malanowski, Communications Expert

I'm also interested in Harry Flynn for OVER, but I think I'll limit myself to one or two characters at first. ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Have you read the first two chapters already? Michael has been in the story from the beginning and he's a great character, but you should know what he's done so far in order to play him best. Malanowski was introduced in Chapter 2, so you wouldn't need to read the first chapter to play him, but you ought to have read the second in that case. I'll hold both these characters for you. When you confirm that you're certain you can play them, I'll send you their secrets.

Harry Flynn is a new character, so no prior reading is required if you decide to play him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Kranix
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by Kranix »

Micheal Walters is off the table then? Drat! He looked so very interesting

i'de like to pick up

Bo- Bored State Trooper
Airman Greg Applebee

for sure, and mr.foo if micheal walters is unavailable.

Now, to read through the previous chapters, I should be done all that by tommorow.

*edit* 50 pages eh... this may take longer than anticipated.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard, Kranix! That is a lot of reading you've got there. Each of those pages is several screenfuls, so you're looking at something novel-length there, but it is enjoyable. Good luck! Greg Applebee is yours for certain since he requires no further reading. I'll reserve Bo and Mr. Foo for you, but you'll need to confirm that you can make it through the first two chapters and want to play them. They're both great characters, and I played them at the start of the game when I was a player. If OathinBlood decides he doesn't want Michael Walters after all, then you'll get first crack at him. There are also a bunch of characters I haven't posted yet, but they should be up this afternoon.

I'll wait to send out secrets for those who have already chosen characters until I get final confirmation on those choices. Once I've posted the rest of the characters, then you'll see everything that's available and I'll start sending out secrets to those who choose from that point forwards.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

All character sheets have now been posted, so go ahead and choose. I hope to start the game proper next weekend.

Here's the cast so far:
Fearlessfred (1 slot available):
Trooper Joe Barring (UNDER)
Javier Ramirez (THROUGH)
Sgt. Sam Black (THROUGH)

Mr Zombie killer (0 slots available):
Private Julio Alvarez (OVER)
Alice (UNDER)
Jim Kerr (UNDER)
Airman Bobby Sheen (THROUGH)

Stompie (0 slots available):
Wallace Red Crow (THROUGH)
Duke (UNDER)
Airman Justin Hockey (UNDER)
Acting Senior Airman Manuel Ortega (THROUGH)

SuAside (2 slots available):
Luke the Hunter (THROUGH)
Bob Larkin (OVER)

kabukiman (0 slots available):
Senior Airman Harry Flynn (OVER)
Max the dog (UNDER)
Airman Gordon Cheng (THROUGH)
Melinda Christie (THROUGH)

Laraqua (3 slots available):
Trooper Rick Brenner (OVER) [awaiting confirmation]

OathinBlood (2 slots available):
Michael Walters (UNDER)
Airman Igor Malanowski (THROUGH)

Stoned_Golem (4 slots available):

Kranix (1 slot available):
Lucy Armstrong (OVER)
Airman Greg Applebee (THROUGH)
Lewie Newton (THROUGH)

Andrew (3 slots available):
Lawrence Black (THROUGH)

Bosco (1 slot available):
Dr. Bernard Smith (OVER)
Sergeant Larry Hendrix (THROUGH)
Ernest Granger (THROUGH)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

I would like to choose those:
Lynn and Max from Under
Harry Flynn from Over
Melinda from Through
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Have you read the first two chapters? Lynne and Max have been in the game from the start, so you should read what they've done so far in order to be able to play them. I think you can get away with playing Max if you haven't read them provided you read the Chapter 1 synopsis - I could fill you in on what Max has done in Chapter 2. Also keep in mind that Lynne has a broken leg. The first two chapters are very long, so you probably won't have time to read them before we start if you haven't already. If you're sure you can play Lynne, please confirm that here. If not, you can always choose a different character or just play the other three.

Melinda and Harry are new characters, so you can play them with no problem even without having read the earlier chapters. OathinBlood had expressed interest in Harry Flynn, but he never reserved him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I have read the first chapter... some 6 monts ago, so i don't remember any dog. Ok, i don't choose Lynn, unstead i chose Cheng from through. I prefered Lynn because i wanted to play a troublemaker/intriguist. Well, i can act with Melinda as i want... :lol:
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's no problem, you can still play Lynne if you've read the story up to this point. It doesn't matter how long ago it was. I haven't read Chapter 1 myself in ages either. Reading the synopsis that's linked to in The Story So Far should refresh your memory. I just wanted to make sure you're aware she's got a broken leg and can't move around as fast. Lynne is a lot of fun and I think you'll enjoy her. There were actually two dogs, Max and Buddy. Mr Zombie killer played Buddy when he came in late in Chapter 1, only to lose him tragically when Lynne opened fire on a zombie with a submachinegun she had no idea how to use and accidentally cut him down. Max is still alive and in good shape, so I think you'll like him too.

Let me know if you want to play Lynne after all, or if you'd rather have Gordon Cheng.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Thanks, but i will choose Cheng.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, you've got Max, Harry Flynn, Gordon Cheng, and Melinda Christie. They should all be fun to play. I'm not at home now, so I don't have their secrets on me, but I'll send them to you tonight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Bosco
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by Bosco »

Hi,

I'd like to play, Sergeant Larry Hendrix, Dr. Bernard Smith and Ernest Granger.

Ben.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

MR Handy,
Since people are choosing and the ones I wanted to play in Over are dropping like flies can I reserve the one that I want to play that is left, Julio Alvarez, or do I still have to wait until all have been picked?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great, you've got them, Bosco! I'll send you their secrets tonight.

Steve, you just need to wait for Stoned_Golem to pick. If Stoned_Golem doesn't take Alvarez or doesn't make a selection by Thursday, you can have him. Andrew is only playing one character and OathinBlood is only playing two, so they've already made their choices. I haven't heard from Laraqua, but she has already chosen one character from Over.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Zombie Apocalypse”