Welcome

A group of strangers at a highway truck stop must cooperate to survive as the world becomes overwhelmed with legions of the living dead. But more terror awaits them as they race to prevent the end of mankind and the coming of the Zombie Apocalypse. (This is a Blood Brothers Campaign based on Call of Cthulhu Rules and the films of George Romero).

[This game accepts new players]

Moderator: Mr. Handy

welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Welcome

Post by welsh »

Welcome new and old players.

For those who don't know, Zombie Apocalypse actually began on another forum, NMA-Fallout.com, home of all things Fallout.

For those who seek a review of that campaign check out-
NMA - http://www.nma-fallout.com.

Zombie Apocalypse begins here- http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19285
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Welcome

Post by SuAside »

zombies? in my C4XTC?

it's more likely than you think!
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by OathinBlood »

So, when/how is this gonna start, and how do I get myself involved in the I Love Being Rinsed in Zombie Brain Matter society?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome old and new players alike!

I'll be posting instructions over the next few days explaining how players can get started. For now, just post in this thread and let me know if you want to play. You're in now, OathinBlood. Our players from Chapters 1 and 2 who are joining us here are Fearlessfred, Mr. Zombie Killer, SuAside, and Stompie if he returns (though he's been missing for over two months now). Several other players have expressed an interest, and I'll be letting them know we're getting started soon.

I'll be fairly busy over the next few days, but I expect to get the character sheets up this weekend. All characters are pregenerated, and there are over 30 new characters to choose from. There are also plenty of available characters from the first two chapters, though a lot less than there used to be... :twisted:

I'll explain the details of character selection when I post the character sheets, but each player will be choosing three characters from the pool of pre-gens (or four if you're feeling daring). Our existing players already have most of their characters from before, but they'll be able to replace their dead characters. New players will have first pick of the new characters, since they cannot choose existing characters unless they've read one or both of the preceding chapters, and those are very long. Any characters that have not been selected by players will be NPCs and will be available to replace losses...if they survive. A few characters can only be played by the Keeper.

Once the character sheets are up, character selection should take about a week. I hope to get started playing either on the evening of the 15th or on the 16th. I'll have extra time this coming Monday and Tuesday, and I'm off from work on Monday the 18th, which will help me get everyone started and the game moving.

I expect players to post for each of their characters at least once a week, preferably twice if you can. I hope to update each story thread at least twice a week, time permitting. If you haven't posted for your characters and you haven't given me any standing orders for them by the time I update, they'll just stand around doing nothing. Unlike most games, time is very critical in this one. Each major update represents approximately one minute of game time. This may seem slow, but don't worry - there's a lot going on! If you disappear for more than a week without letting me know, your characters may revert to NPCs until you return, or something very bad could happen to them. Of course, something very bad could happen to them anyway, but it's more likely in this case.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Fearlessfred
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Fearlessfred »

I'm still here waiting for the game to start.
I hope my characters have as good luck as in the first chapter.
A robot will guard its own existence with lethal antipersonnel weaponry, because a robot is bloody expensive.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome to the new home of Zombie Apocalypse, Fearlessfred! Actually, you didn't join until the second chapter, but you were lucky not to lose a single character yet. I think the only other long-term players who were lucky enough not to lose any characters were Stompie (though one of his characters has been bitten) and myself (unless you count Sean Blank, but I was only temporarily playing him while his player was AWOL). All four of my original characters are still alive, but that's likely to change in Chapter 3.

For those who don't know, this is a very lethal game. Characters will die, which is one reason every player has multiple characters. Of the original cast from Chapter 1, around 40% of them died in that chapter. In Chapter 2, 25% of the combined pool of survivors from Chapter 1 and new Chapter 2 characters kicked the bucket, and a few others have been bitten by zombies but are still alive. Chapter 3 is likely to be a lot more dangerous than Chapter 2.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Fearlessfred
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Fearlessfred »

My bad I ment the second chapter. Also zombies aren't the only thing to watch out for :twisted:.
A robot will guard its own existence with lethal antipersonnel weaponry, because a robot is bloody expensive.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Don't worry about it. I knew what you meant anyway.

Yes, that's true about zombies not being the only danger. Humans are something you especially have to watch out for. Humans have killed more people (or gotten them killed) in Zombie Apocalypse than any other threat, including the zombies themselves. Humans have probably killed more humans than all the other dangers combined, in fact.

Don't discount the other nasty things out there, however. The zombies are an ever-present threat, and they can kill you too. Then there are the other horrible things that aren't zombies but aren't human either. They've inflicted their share of casualties already.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Well Fred- I have to say that I took special delight in "the Evil Mosquitos from outer space that inject victims with the venom that turns them into zombies." The thing below was another fun monstrosity. And more nasty surprises await.

- Anonymous Cannibal
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Some questions. Feel free to PM me the answer if you don't want to reveal it to other players.

1. Zombies. Shambling, Romero-esque zombies, or berserker infected from 28 Days Later? A mixture of both, perhaps? I'm guessing about only an minimalistic level of intelligence and an unnatural sense for finding living humans.

2. Is this a pseudo-supernatural game, ala Resident Evil, or a pseudo-scientific game, ala Romero?

3. Is disease an issue that we will have to cope with?

4. Injuries. Is there long-lasting damage, causing limps and broken arms, or is there the HP system?

5. Bites. One bite and we're doomed, or is there a cure?

6. How does one become a zombie? Does one have to be bitten, or just die under any circumstances?

7. Are headshots the only thing that will stop a zombie, aside from de-limbing it?

Thanks. Can't wait for this to begin! ;)
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Also, if anyone would care to read what I consider THE best piece of zombie literature EVER, read David Moody's Autumn series. you can read the first book, Autumn, free online, which is an awesome marketing tactic. He puts a new spin on zombies which is really nice - not too different that it will turn you off, but just enough that it will intrigue you. I really do adore his work.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OathinBlood wrote:Some questions. Feel free to PM me the answer if you don't want to reveal it to other players.
I'll post the answers here, since this is good for all players to know. Just remember to keep your characters' knowledge separate from your personal knowledge (and keep their knowledge separate from each other for that matter).
1. Zombies. Shambling, Romero-esque zombies, or berserker infected from 28 Days Later? A mixture of both, perhaps? I'm guessing about only an minimalistic level of intelligence and an unnatural sense for finding living humans.
You've pretty much got it. There's a mixture of slower-moving, Romero-style zombies and fast-movers like in 28 Days Later. About ten percent of all zombies are runners.
2. Is this a pseudo-supernatural game, ala Resident Evil, or a pseudo-scientific game, ala Romero?
As far as everyone knows, it's pseudo-scientific. There are a number of scientist characters who have put their knowledge to good use.
3. Is disease an issue that we will have to cope with?
It's certainly something to consider. Anything that can happen in the real world can happen here.
4. Injuries. Is there long-lasting damage, causing limps and broken arms, or is there the HP system?
Both. I use hit locations, and high damage to a limb can break it. A couple of characters currently have broken limbs even though they've healed much of the original injuries in terms of HP.
5. Bites. One bite and we're doomed, or is there a cure?
There is no known cure, and one bite is always lethal in the end. There is one exception: one of the characters has been bitten twice and appears to be immune. She has shown no symptoms so far, but why this is the case is one of the mysteries of this game.
6. How does one become a zombie? Does one have to be bitten, or just die under any circumstances?
Anyone who dies becomes a zombie. However, those who died from severe head injuries (or received them post-mortem) did not rise up, and anyone whose body is destroyed would not become a zombie either.
7. Are headshots the only thing that will stop a zombie, aside from de-limbing it?
Doing enough damage to a zombie's body will keep it from moving, though it will remain animated until either its brain or its spine is damaged enough. A dismembered zombie is still active and can still bite, it's just immobile. The only quick way to take out a zombie is with a headshot. I'll explain the rules we use for that when I get around to posting a rules thread.
Thanks. Can't wait for this to begin! ;)
No problem. I can't wait either! :twisted:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

So, can i join?
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Correction to Handy's rules-

No, you can destroy a zombie with sufficient damage.

The head shot is really the quick way. Zombie heads that take, I think, 10 points of damage, essentially destroy the zombie. But if you don't do the head shot, you may want to go for full body damage. So for instance- if a zombie takes a certain amount of damage from a blast (I think its like 50-60 points), the zombie is essentially destroyed.

So a zombie riddled with bullets will still be coming for you. But if you riddle him enough, then you might have done enough damage that he is essentially non-functional. (You may still want to smash in his brain, cause you can never be sure).

Also- there are other nasties in this game. Zombie dogs, evil mosquitos, and strange tenticulared beasts.
As well as your fellow mankind.

- Anonymous Cannibal
stompie
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by stompie »

Hello! I do suppose that its been quite some time since I've posted. Since then, I moved back home, am working 40 hr's a week, and taking 14 units at a community college. I would like to rejoin, if their are no hangups. It will be great playing with you guys again.
stompie
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by stompie »

welsh wrote:
Also- there are other nasties in this game. Zombie dogs, evil mosquitos, and strange tenticulared beasts.
As well as your fellow mankind.
... Did I miss something?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard, kabukiman! Welcome back, Stompie! You're both in, and there's no problem.

Stompie, you've still got all of your characters alive. Wallace did get bitten, but you can continue to play him for the rest of his life. He only took 1 damage from the bite, so it'll take him longer to die than usual. He should last a few hours, which is more than the average life expectancy for a Zombie Apocalypse character anyway. Duke hasn't been infected, but he has been exposed to...something. You did miss a bit, so you should read the rest of Chapter 2 to catch up while I'm setting up Chapter 3 and getting new players ready to go. The mosquitos were in Chapter 1, but they haven't shown up again yet. There were zombie dogs in Chapter 2 when you were still here. As for the strange beast, Duke had a run in with it. There was also some human-on-human violence you missed.

Currently, Wallace is up on the motel balcony. In your absence I had him agree to help Captain Lereux take his command back in exchange for being allowed to stay at the motel since everyone else at the garage had done so. Things didn't go exactly according to plan, however. Ortega is in fine shape, and he even got a promotion to Acting Senior Airman. Hockey freaked out and blew a Sanity roll. He ran away and slid down the zipline (badly). He took 2 damage from colliding with the lamp post at the bottom, but that's nothing medical treatment won't fix. He then ran to the diner and came to his senses just outside, and just in time to help out Willie and the other civilians. However, he got trapped below ground in the underground facility when the zombies overran the diner. Duke is even further underground, exploring the lower level of a secret lab.

EDIT: Welsh is correct about the damage zombies can take before going down. 10 or more damage to the head will kill any zombie, but doing less damage will also slow down a faster zombie. Otherwise, it takes 40 damage total to neutralize a slow zombie and 50 for a fast one. This is almost impossible to do with a single shot, so head shots are the way to go. A neutralized zombie ceases to move around or pose a threat, unless you do something silly like walk up to its head. It may still be animated, it just can't go anywhere or do much of anything. It's a "twitcher." Putting a bullet or two in its head at this point should be simple.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Hello All,
i am waiting to play Chapter 3 having played since late in Chapter 1. I have lost 3 characters so far :twisted: and am currently playing Alice the history professor who is a babe, Jim Kerr who is a fish and wildlife cop, and I just picked up Bobby Sheen who is a sniper. I would like to pick one more character but i have to wait to pick from the new until all you newbies have picked.
Oh and Mr. handy I just finally got a new job and will be working 40 hours a week. This job last until April at least but hopefully I will pass the temporary position and get a permant position at the company. Anyway I can still play. Oh and since we are now at this site do I have to leave the other site up and bookmarked or are all the posts going to be at this site from now on?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome to the new forum, Steve! Congratulations to you and Stompie on your jobs as well!

All posts will be made here from now on. I'll lock the OOC thread on the old forum now that the gang's all here. For any information that's needed from the old board, I'll either copy it here in new posts (such as with character sheets) or post links to it (such as with the first two chapters).

So far we've got all four of our existing players and two new ones confirmed. I'm hopeful that Laraqua and Andrew will join us as well. I'll start posting character sheets Friday night if I get a chance, and I hope to have them all up by sometime on Saturday. Note that existing players can freely choose characters from the first two chapters at any time. If you've seen all the new characters and you'd rather have an existing one, and you have any slots left, you can pick them. You should have at least three characters when we start, and you may optionally take a fourth if you're up to it.

Here's the cast so far:
Fearlessfred (1 slot available):
Trooper Joe Barring
Javier Ramirez
Sgt. Sam Black

Mr Zombie killer (1 slot available):
Alice
Jim Kerr
Airman Bobby Sheen

Stompie (0 slots available):
Wallace Red Crow
Duke
Airman Justin Hockey
Acting Senior Airman Manuel Ortega

SuAside (2 slots available):
Luke the Hunter
Bob Larkin

kabukiman (4 slots available):

Laraqua (3 slots available):
Trooper Rick Brenner

OathinBlood (4 slots available):
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

If we have multiple characters, are we expected to RP all of them at once?

Return to “Zombie Apocalypse”