Character Selection, Creation, and Discussion

A group of strangers at a highway truck stop must cooperate to survive as the world becomes overwhelmed with legions of the living dead. But more terror awaits them as they race to prevent the end of mankind and the coming of the Zombie Apocalypse. (This is a Blood Brothers Campaign based on Call of Cthulhu Rules and the films of George Romero).

[This game accepts new players]

Moderator: Mr. Handy

wizbit
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Character Selection, Creation, and Discussion

Post by wizbit »

Hey Mr Handy. Further to the PM I sent you I'm ready to get involves in what looks like a great game. At the moment I'd like to take on two of the 'pre mades' please, Senior Airman Sam Wright and Erin Holloway. I've also found a couple of portraits I'd like to use for them if thats ok.

I'll let you work out who's who ; )
zhirinovsky
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by zhirinovsky »

Wow, mind-boggled by the amount of information! But, I'd love to go for the following 3 characters if possible:

Technical Sergeant Jessica Valdez
park ranger Julie St. James
John Lee

I kinda picked them at random, but I've wanted to play some characters that I haven't had any input on for a while now, get the roleplaying juices flowing :-)
Right, back to reading the rules!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard, both of you! You've got the characters you requested now. If you look in the Chapter 5 subforum at the Locations thread, the first post has a list of hyperlinks for each character next to his or her current location. These tell you which threads (or parts of threads) to read in order to catch up on their stories. For Sam Wright and Jessica Valdez, you'll be reading Fog of War first, but you'll start partway through. The links go to the first post you're allowed to read in that thread. At the end of that thread, both characters move to the thread called Triage, which is where they are now. For Julie St. James, you'll start by reading Rangers in the Night. After that, you'll go to Terror By Night. During that thread, you'll be redirected to Damsel in Distress, which is where she is currently. Don't worry, there are hyperlinks in each thread that point you to the next one, as well as spoiler buttons containing information that your character has but others in your thread do not. For Erin Halloran (who happens to be blonde, but that picture can be from a time when she colored her hair differently), you'll start by reading A New Beginning and then Family. After that you'll be linked to a post in the middle of Another Fine Mess, her current thread. John Lee starts out in Newcomer, then moves to the middle of Secrets, and finally goes to Another Fine Mess, which is his current thread. Note that John Lee is injured, but he's received medical attention, so he's doing somewhat better now.

I'll be sending each of you your characters' secrets via PMs. Once you've caught up and read your secrets, you can start posting in your current IC threads any time you're ready. I'll be updating both Sword and Omaha later today, so it'll probably be before you post. Gold may be a little while before I update it, so you might post there first. If you do, Jessica Valdez and Sam Wright should both make Listen rolls.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
grimgate
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by grimgate »

Well, I like what I am reading so far. (still have a bit before im finished)

But I'd like to play Lt. Oscar Gomez. I think it will be fun. :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, grimgate! I've just sent you his secrets, and he's yours now. If you later decide to choose or create additional characters, you can post here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ricardo Azuul
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 2 months

Post by Ricardo Azuul »

Handy,

I've taken a look at the characters you mentioned were available, and would like to select Jessica Valdez and Erin Halloran if possible.

At least, if they are indeed available, because I see that both of them were selected in March this year...

Cheers,

Richard
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, they're both available. Jessica's player had to drop her, as it was just one character too many to juggle. Erin's player hasn't been seen for weeks.

For Jessica, you'll need to read Fog of War, starting with the post in the link next to her name in the Locations post, and then you'll need to read Triage, which is her current thread. That's where you'll be posting.

For Erin, you'll need to read A New Beginning, then Family, and finally Another Fine Mess starting from the point at which she entered the thread.

I'll PM you their secrets when I get a chance, but I won't have time until tomorrow night. Once you've caught up and you've read their secrets, you can go ahead and post for them. I won't be updating Gold or Omaha until the weekend anyway. Welcome aboard, and have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheGiggles
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by TheGiggles »

Hey id like Regimental Sergeant Major Raymond Crew and also to create a character for Omaha
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, Raymond Crew is yours now. I'll send you a PM with his secrets soon. In order to catch up on what happened to him so far in this chapter, you'll need to read Fog of War and then Triage, which is his current thread. You'll be posting in Triage, and you can go ahead and post for him once you've read those threads and his secrets.

You can create your character for Omaha in this thread any time you're ready. The instructions are in the next-to-last post in Rules and Guidelines. Feel free to ask in this thread if you have any questions. Welcome aboard, and have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheGiggles
Layman
Layman

Post by TheGiggles »

My rolls
STR DEX INT CON APP
SIZ + INT
EDU

Name: John Lake

Stats
Str:13 Dex:14 Con:12 Pow: 12 App:8
Siz:13 Int:12 Edu:17 Idea:60 Luck:60
Know:85

HP:13
DMG bonus:+1d4
Magic Points:12
Sanity:60

Skills
(Occupation Points 340)
(Hobby points 120)

Bargain:30
Dodge:50
Fast Talk: 60
First Aid:40
Hide:30
Law:70
Listen:60
English:85
Spanish:19
Persuade:60
Psychology:30
Sneak:30
Spot Hidden:70
Track:15

Pistol:65
Rifle:50

John Lake was born into a small suburban family in the suburbs of Lincoln Nebraska. At a young age he had a desire to join law enforcement like his father. Instead of joining a police force right away John attended the University of Nebraska for criminal justice. After receiving his bachelors degree John applied to the DEA and was accepted. (Sorry this part isnt detailed I'm not 100% on their recruitment process other than what they require). After working in California for a year after his initial training John was then moved to a DEA office in Omaha.
Last edited by TheGiggles on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks great so far! I know exactly how to fit him in. Please finish up your character when you have a chance, and then I'll send you his secrets and get him started. I presume you're using the Police Detective template for occupational skills, which is the right one to use. That would make his occupational skills Bargain, Fast Talk, Law, Listen, Persuade, Psychology, Spot Hidden, and one other. Which one is that? If it's Handgun, then that still leaves you an extra 10 occupational skill points to spend, but you've overspent on hobby points. You have 120 available, but it looks like you've spent 135, so you'll need to lower those skills by 15 points while raising one or more occcupational skills by a total of 10.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheGiggles
Layman
Layman

Post by TheGiggles »

I updated it. I added background info too. I left it kind of vague in case you wanted too kind of shape him more to your purposes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, I'll write up some secrets for him and PM them to you. Later today I'll set up a thread for him and get him started. Feel free to flesh out his background as much as you like. The only things I'll be specifying for him are his current assignment and what has happened to him so far today.

The only other thing I need is a one line in character quote, like you'll notice on the other character sheets.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheGiggles
Layman
Layman

Post by TheGiggles »

for a quote how about "Only a matter of time till the FBI shows up to steal our thunder."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! Your character sheet is up now. Note that your starting Sanity has been reduced due to the events of the day so far. I'll add your character to the Locations and Weapons thread next, and then I'll start an IC thread for you. You'll start earlier in time than the other characters in Omaha, but you'll catch up with them eventually. You'll be the only PC in your thread, so it can move at your pace. I'll be able to post relatively frequently this weekend, but not so much during the week.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by masonstone »

:P I'll post up one for Gold and one for Omaha, if you don't mind the clutter ;)

an airman for Gold and I was thinking a looter for Omaha, the sort of person who sat uneasily with the law before the apocalypse, let alone after it.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome back, masonstone! You don't need to create a new character for Gold, but you can create one for Omaha any time you want. You can take back Raymond Crew at this point, as TheGiggles hasn't posted for him in just under two weeks with no notice of any impending absence.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by masonstone »

I'll hop right in, the Omaha profile is on it's way soon :)

oh and I'll warn you now, my language is strong, as keeping with a rough SM and a street thug.

masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by masonstone »

Brian Stevenson

3d6 → [6,5,4] = (15)
3d6 → [1,1,4] = (6)
3d6 → [5,3,6] = (14)
3d6 → [2,4,4] = (10)
3d6 → [5,5,5] = (15)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2589916/

2d6+6 → [1,3,6] = (10)
2d6+6 → [3,1,6] = (10)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2589918/

3d6+3 → [3,6,4,3] = (16)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2589919/

STR:3d6 → [6,5,4] = (15)
CON:3d6 → [5,5,5] = (15)
POW:3d6 → [2,4,4] = (10)
DEX:3d6 → [5,3,6] = (14)
APP:3d6 → [1,1,4] = (6)

SIZ:2d6+6 → [1,3,6] = (10)
INT:2d6+6 → [3,1,6] = (10)

EDU:3d6+3 → [3,6,4,3] = (16)

Idea: 50
Knowledge: 80
Luck: 50
DamageBonus: +1d4
HitPoints: 13
MagicPoints: 10
Sanity: 50

Profession: Ex-Mechanic

Craft Vehicle Engineering (05%) = 55%
Drive Automobile (20%) = 60%
Electrical Repair (10%) = 55%
Locksmith (01%) = 51%
Mechanical Repair (20%) = 60%
Navigate (10%) = 30%
Operate Heavy Machine (01%) = 41%
Spot Hidden (25%) = 60%

Melee Weapon Large Club (sledgehammer, crowbar ect)(25%) = 55%
Shotgun (30%) = 50%
Handgun (20%) = 50%
Dodge (DEX x 2%)(28%) = 48%
Own Language (EDU x 05%) = 50%

A casual observer would describe Brian Stevenson as just any other guy, working his way through life in an honest job, looking for a woman to sashay into his life and not much else. Beneath the typical blue-collar-worker appearance however is a broiling mass of anger at both those around him and humanity in general. Brian feels resentment towards the world because he feels betrayed by it. All his life he has been fed the media line that everyone is special, everyone is a hero, while the government just sees him as another tick in a box. Until the apocalypse this anger was only expressed in a controlled and sterile manner, with regular sessions at the local gun club and firing range as well has hard, fast driving. Brian used to endeavour to break as many little insignificant laws as possible without being caught, but now with the advent of the Zombies he has found that he can now break all the rules, all of the time, with no consequences. Amidst all this fun Brian has had another revalation too. All along they told him everyone was special, everyone was a hero. Well now with the Zombies in the streets and every man for himself being the main rule of survival Brian has found himself. He can finally be what he's always known he should be, the hero, or anti-hero, of his own story.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Looks great! Own Language is EDU x 5, so that's actually 80% for you. You're good to go. When you get a chance, the only other things I need are Brian's age and a short in character quote like the other characters have. I'll send you a PM with his secrets, tell you what equipment he has, and set up a thread for him. Once that comes up, you can go ahead and post whenever you're ready. Brian's starting Sanity will actually be 40 due to everything he has been through today.

By the way, in Triage, I'm not sure if you realized that the characters have retreated to the hall outside the padded cells, and that they are currently being attacked by one of the mosquito-things. You may want to edit your post to reflect this. You also have the option of taking a shot at the creature before it has a chance to attack Captain Kelleher.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Zombie Apocalypse”