IC: Scene 12 - Day 3 Begins

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: IC: Scene 12 - Day 3 Begins

Post by amarriner »

At the Bakery
Syrinx wrote:True to his estimation he arrives at the bakery by half past nine. Buff is panting by beside the chair Timms occupies on the outside serving area of Miss Pine´s Bakery.
Jack Roberts strolls into the bakery just as Timms is finishing up. As he orders his morning breakfast, Jack spots the latter and walks over to him. You're Timms, right? I had done a little digging and asking around at the police station about people who were involved in the search for Richard Cardigan who might know a little more about the woods surrounding the Miskatonic. They mentioned your name and showed me your picture so I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but I was wondering ... well hoping, really ... that you wouldn't mind if I asked you a few questions. Or even better, if you wouldn't mind accompanying me to a law office around the corner and talking the situation over with an acquaintance of mine. I know this is all very sudden, but we could use a fresh perspective on things and you might just be the man to help us out. What do you say? Jack scratches the scruff of Buff's neck.

Cliched and a little forced, but it works, right? :)

Arkham Historical Society
Arch and Donald decide to head over to Albert's office to see if he's in yet. They greet Miss Dalton on the way in and she directs them into the professor's room. He's there shuffling through a few school papers, but greets them eagerly and is ready to get started again on the trail of things. He asks them to give him a moment while he finishes up his filing so they wait in the foyer and small-talk with Dalton.

Presently, Albert comes out of his office, hands a few things to Miss Dalton and ushers Arch and Donald through the door and out into the warm Arkham day. They mention heading to the Historical Society and he concurs so they pile into the Ford again and head over there. Once there, they head inside and ask Janice Putnam if they can meet with Peabody.

After another few minutes, Peabody does finally come into the Hall and greet the trio. Good morning again, gentlemen. I hope this day finds you well. I hope the bridge article was of some help. What can I do for you? Ghastly news about that murder, right?

If this gets too unwieldy, I'll split it into two threads. I suspect you'll all meet up again at some point, though.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Who want´s to know?", Rascee asks as he looks the man in his mid thirties over. "Been digging some yourself have you?" Actually the company could be welcome... He watches Buff´s reaction, the fact that this falla´hadn´t lost his hand was evidence enough that he was solid. Timms demeanour changes and the lined face sows a hint of a smile, "Just pick up the tab here, and I´ll see your firends, Mr?"
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

Arch tips his hat. Good morning. Did you know the victim?
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

TakeSolo wrote:Arch Ackland

Arch tips his hat. Good morning. Did you know the victim?
Well no, I don't think I do. However there's something ... familiar about her that I can't quite put my finger on. Williams is a fairly common surname, to be sure, but for whatever reason it's striking a chord with me. Something in relation to that bridge you asked about yesterday perhaps. Perhaps not, I can't say at the moment. At any rate I had just started researching it a bit, but have nothing to show for it just yet. Maybe it was something about where she lived? Peabody trails off a bit here as if he's asking the question to himself. Hmm, I don't know. Maybe not.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Syrinx wrote:"Who want´s to know?", Rascee asks as he looks the man in his mid thirties over. "Been digging some yourself have you?" Actually the company could be welcome... He watches Buff´s reaction, the fact that this falla´hadn´t lost his hand was evidence enough that he was solid. Timms demeanour changes and the lined face sows a hint of a smile, "Just pick up the tab here, and I´ll see your firends, Mr?"
Oh, I'm a fool, my apologies. The name's Jack Roberts. Jack genuinely seems sorry and offers a handshake to Rascee. I'm afraid digging is part of who I am. Just can't help it. I'm a P.I. by trade. Only been in Arkham for a few months, but yeah that's the vibe I give off, I'm afraid, Jack says with a smile. He then promptly pays the bill for Rascee and steps towards the door. Shall we? Are you ready? No rush, mind you. We're just heading a few blocks south to the Saltonstall offices.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Timms nods and pushes the chair clear of the table. He exits through the door Jack presently holds open. Buff trails after him at a leisure pace. Knowing the town, Rascee leaves the cart outside the bakery. As the pair of rugged men walk towards the offices Timms clears a pipe and lights it using a match against the palm of his hand.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Jack leads Timms through the streets of Arkham to the corner of Gedney and Hyde. The offices of E. E. Saltonstall are there and Jack enters. He asks the secretary if Gregory is in and she points him towards the latter's office since she recognizes Jack, though she doesn't know who Timms is.

Gregory is sitting behind his desk, trying to clear everything out so he can concentrate on the Atwater/Cardigan case. He's just returned from the diner after reading about the murder in the paper.

OOC I took the liberty to returning Gregory to his office, hope you don't mind, Samuel.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
amarriner wrote: Gregory is sitting behind his desk, trying to clear everything out so he can concentrate on the Atwater/Cardigan case. He's just returned from the diner after reading about the murder in the paper.

OOC I took the liberty to returning Gregory to his office, hope you don't mind, Samuel.
That is why I left his destination vague, I figured you could meet us up on the street, here, or wherever.

Jack! I was just about to start looking for you. Have you heard about the latest murder? The crazy Atwater boy is out there, and I'm sure he's behind this. We better get him back in, and quick.......Sorry, who's this?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

The lined face of Rascee remains watchful as he waits for Jack to deal with the introduction. His business, not mine... He looks at the desk to make out what´s the man is working on, and to get an idea of what kind of fellow this Gregory guy is. (Sloppy or tidy?)
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

The desk looks messy enough. Timms decides to get this over with, "Rascee Timms, I gather you have some questions about a grave? Or maybe the Cardigan fella´?"
He scratches the stubble on his chin and waits for the man behind the desk to acknowledge the new arrivals.
TVblog

TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

According to the paper, the address was 374 Curwen St. Does that stir up anything for you?
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
I wonder what the Advertizer wrote about it. Seems thay have a different approach to things than the Gazette that I get. Might you have today's Advertizer Mr. Peabody?

OOC: I'm sorry if I mixed up the name of the other Arkham newspaper. correct me if I'm wrong.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

To Arch, Peabody says, Nothing jumps into my head. It's across the river up in the north side of town. Some call that neighborhood Northside, in fact. Actually, I think it's on the same block as the Gazette. Not too far from the asylum, now that I think about it. Just a few blocks west.

OOC: Yep, the other paper is the Advertiser.

To Donald, Peabody says, Hmm, let me see if I have today's. I'm sure I do ... Peabody shuffles off into another room where the investigators hear him shuffling around for a bit. Mrs. Putnam is neatening up her desk. Presently Peabody comes back in and shows today's Advertiser. Nothing more here, I'm afraid. They pretty much report what the Gazette said. Just that Mrs. Hope was found dead by her maid early in the morning.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
Yeah, well she had a number "1" incised on her head. Anything to do with numbers about the bridge?
faytaladdiction
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by faytaladdiction »

Jack Roberts

Jack simply stares at Atkinson, a blank expression on his face. As Timms speaks Jack snaps out of his seemingly never-ending daze. I found him at the cafe down the street. Some of the boys down at the station think he could be of some use, he knows the woods around the Miskatonic. Any new information come in while i was gone?

Im sorry i haven't gotten around to posting this past week, i've been so busy i just haven't had a chance to sit down.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
Nice to meet you Mr. Timms, any information we can get will be a help.

Nothing new, Jack, but I think we need to get on this latest killing first, I hope my gut feeling is wrong and want to prove it.

Why don't we talk to the police and see what else we can learn, and also see what the Professors are up to, I'm sure they have heard about all this.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Historical Society
zielonobrody wrote:Donald Lutherhagen
Yeah, well she had a number "1" incised on her head. Anything to do with numbers about the bridge?
Peabody thinks hard on this one. Hmm, no not that I can recall. Nothing is sticking out, at any rate ... He almost seems a little unsure, but doesn't have much else to say about it.

Saltonstall Offices
You guys could head over and meet the others at the Society if you'd like as I'll assume you all knew you were going there eventually today. Otherwise, you could go to the Police Station as you mentioned, or the Asylum. Just let me know your next move.

Short post, just getting back into the swing of things here. Sorry for the pace of this game.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
Oh well... I guess we'd like to hear what you can tell us about the history of the bridge then. That's what we came here for mainly.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

zielonobrody wrote:Donald Lutherhagen
Oh well... I guess we'd like to hear what you can tell us about the history of the bridge then. That's what we came here for mainly.
Peabody thinks hard on this before answering. I've been trying to think on that, actually. Nothing comes to mind immediately other than the article I showed you yesterday. Here, let me get it again ... With that, Peabody leaves for a minute to get another copy of the article (http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtop ... 331#p55317). He rushes back into the room obviously more frantic than before. By the gods! I can't believe I'd forgotten. You asked before if I'd known Miss Hope, and I said I didn't think so, but it sounded familiar! Look at the last sentence of my article! "My particular thanks to Mrs. Nina Williams Hope of Arkham, who supplied information important to my tale." I'd interviewed the poor woman while researching this article! Curse my aged brain! I wonder if something could be gleaned from seeing the murder site. I don't know that the police would let us in, but it might be worth a try!
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
Mein Gott, there's no time to waste in that matter. Although I think e may need the asistance of a fellow Private Detective if we want to see the site. Let's hope the police didn't dislodge any important clues in the Hope residence. Oh my, pun not intended... Let's go.

Return to “The Condemned”