IC: Scene 11 - Arkham Sanitarium

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

IC: Scene 11 - Arkham Sanitarium

Post by amarriner »

Arkham Sanitarium
Tuesday June 7th 1927, 3:10pm

After checking out the photo and digesting the newspaper article as best they can, the group decides to head back to the Arkham Asylum. It takes them just a short amount of time to make the trip back to the Sanitarium. There aren't as many cops around now, but there's still a presence. However, no one stops the group from entering the huge iron-wrought gates or from walking up the front steps and into the building. After speaking briefly with a nurse, Albert as able to get them in to see Hardstrom. He's sitting at his desk looking through some papers and barely realizes there are people with him at first. Finally he looks up with tired eyes and welcomes them in. He gives a quick glance to Greg and Jack, but doesn't say anything and doesn't ask them to leave at all.
What can I do for you, gentlemen?
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: IC: Scene 11 - Arkham Sanitarium

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
Hello doctor. We were just at the Historical Society and we stumbled upon a weird text. But about that later. We're curious how the patient from the campsite incident is feeling. Also has anything else popped up with the boys escape? Did the police find the tracks leading from his window to the wall and out through a hole under the wall? That's what we found outside. The police seem a bit careless about the situation, don't you think?

OOC: I'll take the lead since Miss Scarlett is away.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

So far the patient is doing well. Better than I expected, to be honest. He's not quite coherent yet, but my guess is he'll be a little less "fuzzy" tomorrow or the next day. He's healing up remarkably. As I said, a bit faster than I would have anticipated, but I'm pleased with his progress so far. He hasn't really said anything cogent yet, but I'm hopeful.

As far as the police, they did mention something about footprints and they claim they have a lead, but to be honest I'm a bit skeptical. I don't know if I'd classify them as "careless"--I'm not a policeman, after all, and I don't know the first thing about how they go about their job--but your point is well taken. It does seem like more could be done. They do, however, feel like they can find Atwater so I guess we'll find out just how capable they really are.

You mentioned a text you found at the Society? What kind of text? How does it relate to me?
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

Arch checks his photographs, making sure they are ready to be shared if necessary. As they talk, he shuffles in place, uneasy.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
Maybe I shouldn't be gatting all crazy and paranoid in the Asylum.
Well actually it was about the story of the bridge we found the man near to. It said something about some wicked crippled magician. I guess I jumped to conclusions that he was the same guy, bot how probable is that? Donald chuckles nervously and wipes the sweat from his forehead.
It also stated that there are some markings on the pillar of the broken bridge, but Mr. Ackland here has pictures of that bridge and none can be seen.
You think we could talk with the man anytime soon, doctor?
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson

Gregory stands in the background and tries not to be noticed by the doctor. Hopefully they can all get on with the investigation without any more "incidents".
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Answering Donald, Hardstrom says, Ah yes, Arkham is full of stories about magic and monsters, isn't it? I, for one, tend not to put too much stock in them, no matter how reasonable they may sound on the surface. I prefer things I can touch and see with my own eyes and things I can analyze scientifically. Not this hocus pocus nonsense.

As far as the bridge itself goes,
says Hardstrom after taking a quick look at Arch's photos, I'm afraid I've never been there and I don't know much about it. Can't help you there, sorry.

Sure, you all can meet with the man if you'd like, though I'm not sure how much information he's going to give you today. I'm hoping tomorrow might give better results. We'll see. At any rate, follow me. He's certainly okay to have visitors--he's just not saying much that makes sense.

Hardstrom stands and exits his office, not missing an opportunity to give Gregory a quick stare. He leads the group through the halls of the sanitarium. It's eerily quiet. Everyone sort of expects to hear a lot of sound, but there's really none save for the footsteps echoing down the corridors.

Once inside the old man's room they see him again. Not much changed since last time except quite a bit cleaned up and shaven. He still looks very old. His eyes do not focus on any one thing for very long before moving on to another. No one can be quite sure if he knows they're in the room with him or not. Hardstrom takes a small chair from the corner of the room, places it nearer the center and sits down. The first thing we've been trying to ascertain is his name, but we've had no luck there yet.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
Donald looks at the man and then ad the doc and says He looks so old... I still have this creepy gut feeling that this indeed is the magician. What if his name really is Sermon Bishop... That's a silly name if you ask me anyway. Donald tries to say this casually but he can feel that his hands are trembling in anticipation that the man will focus his stare on him once he gets says the name. He wipes his sweaty forehead again as emotions roll over him and he finally comes to the name which comes out rather shaky...
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

Seeing the old man for the first time, Arch is a bit shocked. He steps back a couple steps to the far wall, almost intimidated by the man. Although still not convinced with what Donald says, he can't help but let the story along with the old man's appearance shake him a little.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

It's hard to say, exactly, if the man reacts to Donald or not. He doesn't sit still for very long and he's constantly looking from one person to the next. Donald certainly thinks the man glanced at him when he spoke the name, but he can't be entirely sure. He also doesn't know if the man just reacted to the sound of his voice or not.

Hardstrom speaks up, Who's this Sermon Bishop? Is that who you think this man is? Why do you think that?
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
The article I was talking about. It's nothing. Just some creepy feeling. Clearly he didn't react to the name when I spoke it. No point sitting around here, he's not telling us anything anytime soon, so we might as well go. Thank you doctor for your time and patience with us. Donald makes to leave and shakes the docs hand.
Geez, I sure hope I didn't see what I think I saw... I gotta relax, I'm getting a bit carried away here. There's no possible way this guy is a few hundred years old and spent a lot of his time being buried. Donald doesn't feel like sharing his thoughts with the others afraid he might be taken as a bit of a loony.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Hardstrom stands and shakes Donald's hand and nods to Albert as he rises, too. I'm sorry he couldn't be more helpful to you, gentlemen. I'll of course be keeping a close eye on him. As I mentioned, I'm hopeful he'll be more lucent tomorrow so feel free to call on him again if you'd like--either then or the next day. I suspect seeing people other than the asylum staff can only help matters.

If anyone else has questions for Hardstrom or want to interact with the man before you leave, go ahead and post. Otherwise feel free to chat in the OOC thread about your next move.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Well, gentlemen I'll take my leave of you then. Good night. Hardstrom herds everyone out of the man's room and heads back to his office. The group is left in the asylum foyer but themselves. A nurse at her station stands off to a corner.

Return to “The Condemned”