IC: Scene 8 - Arkham Gazette, June 7th

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

IC: Scene 8 - Arkham Gazette, June 7th

Post by amarriner »

Arkham Gazette
Tuesday June 7th, 12:00 noon

After a long bumpy ride down Bowen Rd and back along the Aylebury Pike, Gregory and Jack make it back to Arkham proper. The cabbie winds through the streets to the north of town and finally onto Hyde St between Jenkin and Brown. The huge building that is the Arkham Gazette looms before them as they step out of the cab. It seems to ooze age and information at them merely by its presence.

The two head inside for some investigation. There were quite a few people on the street outside walking to lunch and it was relatively noisy, but that's nothing compared to the din of the innards Gazette building. Desks are strewn seemingly at random around the huge room and there are people at most of them either on the phone or clacking away at their typewriters.

A man with glasses at a desk close to them--whose nameplate reads: Wade--looks up as they walk in. Yeah? What can I do for you?
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: IC: Scene 8 - Arkham Gazette, June 7th

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
amarriner wrote:Arkham Gazette
A man with glasses at a desk close to them--whose nameplate reads: Wade--looks up as they walk in. Yeah? What can I do for you?
Hello, we're working for the family of Richard Cardigan, the boy who was found dead by the river, and would like to speak to the person who reported the story originally. This is Mr. Roberts and I am Mr. Atkinson.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Oh yeah Cardigan. Poor kid. Still dunno what the hell happened there. Wade takes off his glasses and polishes the lenses while he talks to Jack and Greg. The police have their theories, sure, but we all got our own around here. And what about the raving madman they found, too? Who's he and why was he there? That's what I want to know. 'Course, they won't talk to me over at the sanitarium ... Wade rambles on for a few more minutes, oblivious to the fact that he hasn't really addressed Gregory's question. When prompted again, he says Oh right the article. It was Peck who wrote that one. Willard Peck. He's around the corner there in a small office.

Gregory and Jack head in the direction indicated by Wade and see a small door with the name PECK etched into the glass. It's open, and inside the office is a squat round man sitting behind a desk crashing away at his typewriter. He's wearing a large red bow tie.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
amarriner wrote:Gregory and Jack head in the direction indicated by Wade and see a small door with the name PECK etched into the glass. It's open, and inside the office is a squat round man sitting behind a desk crashing away at his typewriter. He's wearing a large red bow tie.
Excuse me Mr. Peck, this is Mr. Roberts and I am Mr. Atkinson, we are interested in the Cardigan boy affair. May we have a moment of your time?
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Peck looks up from his typing, obviously annoying by the intrusion. Jack and Gregory aren't fazed, though. They want information, and this guy doesn't exactly exude confidence. Do I know you gentlemen? You're not from the Advertiser are you? What would you like to know?
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
amarriner wrote:Do I know you gentlemen? You're not from the Advertiser are you? What would you like to know?
No sir, not at all, we're from E. E. Saltonstall and Associates, and Cardigan's father hired us to look into the affair. We are just trying to make sense out of the whole thing, and are trying to speak with anyone who may no something. You broke the original story, perhaps you may know some information that others may have missed. Lord knows the authorities are botching everything as usual. The couldn't find the body originally, it took a group of us to go back out there and find it, and now the Atwater boy has gone missing.
Jack lets that information slip in, hoping to tempt the reporter with something new, and he will be watching to see if it makes an impression, ready to press any advantage.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Ah that's good. Can't have Advertiser spies around, can we? Yes, Saltonstall is a good enough fellow. Bit of a blowhard, I suppose, but still ...

Anyhow, yes I broke the initial story about the missing kids. Shame that. Amazing the police couldn't find the body. And the living one, too!!! I was just getting started on a follow-up article. It mostly has to do with the kids and the whole situation, but it's also going to be a larger piece on the "fantastic" tales surrounding the forest and the river--hell, the town itself, really. I hope to be able to stretch it into a few articles. Maybe even a book someday!
Gregory and Jack are starting to hope he gets back on track.

I've got a lot of research to do, though. Probably hit up the archives here at the Gazette and then maybe talk to old Peabody at the Historical Society. He's always got something to say about everything that happens--or happened--here in Arkham. In fact, I think he wrote something about that area a while back, too. I think we published it.

At that moment, another man walks into the room holding a couple of photos in his hand. He doesn't realize Gregory and Jack are there at first because he's looking down at the pictures and begins talking to Peck, Peck, I've got those photos you wanted for the article ... oh sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt. The name's Arch.

Welcome TakeSolo to the game!
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by TakeSolo »

Arch Ackland

Arch steps forward and shakes both of their hands. He speaks with a British accent. Arch Ackland, I'm a photographer. Pleased to meet you. You guys new here? He steps over and hands the photographs to Peck.

I hope I'm doing this right! :|
Last edited by TakeSolo on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Right on :) good luck :) Yo're gonna get it now :twisted:
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
TakeSolo wrote:Arch Ackland
Arch steps forward and shakes both of their hands. He speaks with a British accent. Arch Ackland, I'm a photographer. Pleased to meet you. You guys new here?
Shakes hands back. I'm Mr. Atkinson, this is Mr. Roberts, nice to meet you. We're speaking to Mr. Peck about the Cardigan boy. Turns back to Peck. I've already seen some strange things out there, could you elaborate a bit?

Have we lost another Jack? I keep waiting for justinhorner to pop in with something, but I guess TakeSolo and I will have to get things moving here.
Welcome Takesolo, I'm running out of ideas on where to go next, help!
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Peck responds, Oh you know just local superstition and all that. Still, makes for good reading for those not from Arkham. People really seem to eat it up!

Yep, I think we're down another Jack alright. We should be getting a new character coming in soon, but I'll see what I can do about getting Jack another player. You and TakeSolo can continue on, though, and I'll NPC him as necessary for now.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
amarriner wrote:Peck responds, Oh you know just local superstition and all that. Still, makes for good reading for those not from Arkham. People really seem to eat it up!
Well, we're hitting a dead end here, Atwater's missing, the old man's missing, Cardigan's dead, I don't know how we can figure out what happened. Do you have any thoughts Mr. Peck? Maybe we'll look up that Peabody fellow, if he knows about the area around the bridge.
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TakeSolo »

Atwater? That's the boy that went missing from the looney bin. I wanted to get some photos of him, but he vanished. Think you could use some help trying to find him?
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson

Gregory waits for Peck's reply first, then:
TakeSolo wrote:Atwater? That's the boy that went missing from the looney bin. I wanted to get some photos of him, but he vanished. Think you could use some help trying to find him?
Sir, we could use all the help we can get. Gregory then fills Arch in on the general idea of what has been occurring and the dead ends that have been hit.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

OOC
Okay I have no idea what happened here. I posted Peck's response to Gregory on Monday, but now I see it's not here!!! Dunno what happened. Did either of you guys see it? I'll rewrite it here, but it's going to be a bit abbreviated since I don't remember it in it's entirety. Sorry about that!!!

Samuel wrote:Well, we're hitting a dead end here, Atwater's missing, the old man's missing, Cardigan's dead, I don't know how we can figure out what happened. Do you have any thoughts Mr. Peck? Maybe we'll look up that Peabody fellow, if he knows about the area around the bridge.
Well yeah I think Peabody would be your best bet, to be honest. That guy knows just about everything that's happened in Arkham since its incorporation! He works down at the Historical Society. He's not there every day, though, so you may want to ring them first to see when he's working. 'Course, you could always go anyway and do your own research, too.

There's also The Gazette's archives, but it'd probably take you a week to sort through them and find what you want unless luck is on your side. Peabody could probably get you the information you want much quicker, but it would work as a last resort.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
amarriner wrote: Well yeah I think Peabody would be your best bet, to be honest. That guy knows just about everything that's happened in Arkham since its incorporation! He works down at the Historical Society.
Thank you sir, I guess we will go see this Peabody fellow.
Nods to Jack to follow on the way to the door, pauses, looks at Arch:
I'm not sure if we're getting anywhere with this, but you are welcome to come along.
On the way outside, Gregory checks the time to see if he should head to Peabody's or meet at the Bijou with the others first.
And will do whichever is appropriate.
TakeSolo
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TakeSolo »

Sounds good to me. I just finished up my last set of photographs for Peck and I'm intrigued about this kid. Arch grabs a cigarette from his pocket and lights up. He follows Jack and Gregory out the door. I wouldn't mind getting some prints of him.

Return to “The Condemned”