IC: Scene 2 - Bijou Cafe

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

IC: Scene 2 - Bijou Cafe

Post by amarriner »

Bijou Cafe
Monday June 6, 1927 11:05 am

Just down Peabody Ave. from the Arkham Sanitarium is Independance Square. Much of the town governmental buildings line the open park area, but there are a lot of commercials here as well. Gregory leads the group to a little french-style restaurant called the Bijou Cafe. Since it's summertime and the weather is nice today--unlike the storms of the past weekend--they get a table outside. A short, thin waitress comes by and hands them all menus then leaves while they decide what to order. Albert has parked his car around the corner on Curwen St.

I've updated the map with the location of the Bijou Cafe. You can stay here and discuss the situation as long as you'd like and I'll move you on whenever you're ready. I'll pop in as needed (if you want to order something, ask questions of people, etc.).
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: IC: Scene 2 - Bijou Cafe

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

Although the cafe is near, Albert takes his car and parks it near by.

Having seated down and ordered his meal, Winston retakes the conversation where it had stopped.

Mickey, you have concluded that "River ... water ... lightning ... old ... tent " were about camping. The campsite was near the river, consequently water. Lightning refers to the storm. But do you know if Henry had an old tent? Or this tent means anything else? Tent could be use as a small roll or plug to keep a wound open. Does this mean anything to any of you?

Or it could be that lightning could give them a power book, an old book. Or to wait upon the book, a powerful book.
He tries to figure it out what those words mean.

OOC: Folks, as English is not my first language I'm using the dictionary. This should mean something and as one word could have more than one meaning, I think looking at the dictionary could be a good idea. :)
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont

as the waitress passes Madame I'll take the bouillabaisse, thank you.

listening to Dr. Winston she replies A string of words like that could have any number of meanings. However I must agree the Mickey's appraisal of the aforementioned portion.

The remaining portion "them ... power ... book" seems rather disturbing especially "them".
If an answer is to be found it's probably in the persons themselves we should look into their domiciles.

Mickey were either of the boys in any sort of trouble and did you know Atwater personally?
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Having taken a seat, and upon hearing Ondine’s order, Mickey wonders to himself What on earth is a bouillabaisse? I can’t wait to see what that is. Erm, just a ham sandwich and a soda for me please, ma’am.
Miss Scarlet wrote:Mickey, you have concluded that "River ... water ... lightning ... old ... tent " were about camping. The campsite was near the river, consequently water. Lightning refers to the storm. But do you know if Henry had an old tent? Or this tent means anything else? Tent could be use as a small roll or plug to keep a wound open. Does this mean anything to any of you?

Or it could be that lightning could give them a power book, an old book. Or to wait upon the book, a powerful book.
Richie's tent was relatively new, but because of the amount of time he'd been camping, it was looking kinda worn, you know? Shrugging his shoulders, Mickey continues, I doubt the tent thing relates to the other definitions you came up with, Dr Winston, but you never know. I'm pretty sure it's camping related.

OOC - I may have taken a liberty with the description of the tent, so I hedged my bets!!
Riotopsys wrote:Mickey were either of the boys in any sort of trouble and did you know Atwater personally?
No, no. Richie wasn't in any trouble as far as I was aware. He was my friend and a good student. Sorry, I'd never met Henry, although I'd heard of him around campus.

To Ondine, Mickey asks, stumbling over the pronunciation, How's your bouillabaisse, Miss Dumont?

To the rest of the group, Mickey asks through a mouthful of ham sandwich, So what's our next move? Check out the campsite?
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson
To the waitress: Coffee, black.

To the group, after listening to the discussion for a bit: I don't think that analyzing a delirious boy's mutterings are getting us anywhere. No offense, doctor, but sometimes there is no hidden meaning. I think it is time we head out and start seeing the site ourselves, and not rely on the local law enforcement's wolf hunt for results.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
Donald has ordered a sweet cake and coffee with milk. After it arrives(What's taking them so long? It's just coffee and sweet cake) Donald enters the conversation. Not before he tries the cake and coffee of course.
Mickey wrote:So what's our next move? Check out the campsite?
Well we could go to the campsite. We could also go to see the boy's parents. Do you happen to know where we could find them?

Donald takes another sip and bite.

As to the words I heard from Henry, I'm sure the police would have found at least SOME trail if "they" attacked the campers or some such. But upon considering the law enforcement in this town, I might be mistaken.

Another thing that's intriguing me is the book. Do you know by any chance if one of the boys was into strange books, Mickey? If not, I think we might have to ask the parents.

@ Gregory
Well I wouldn't go as far as say it wasn't getting us anywhere.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont
To Ondine, Mickey asks, stumbling over the pronunciation, How's your bouillabaisse, Miss Dumont?
Wonderful, it's the house signature . and a mild fishy smell fills the room from her bowl of soup
Samuel wrote:Another thing that's intriguing me is the book. Do you know by any chance if one of the boys was into strange books, Mickey? If not, I think we might have to ask the parents.
Ah if it's there reading habits that interest us we could check with the college library. The head librarian what's his name, Armitage? he'd know. Furthermore the college could supply an address for the Atwater family, the Cardigan's don't seem to know anything.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

The waitress brings food and drinks for the group as they order it and is available should they request something else.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston
Mickey O'Dwyer wrote:Richie's tent was relatively new, but because of the amount of time he'd been camping, it was looking kinda worn, you know? I doubt the tent thing relates to the other definitions you came up with, Dr Winston, but you never know. I'm pretty sure it's camping related.
Well then, so the tent was new, although very used. But I'm not convinced this "tent" means the tent they used to camp... He thinks.

Winston is interested in the answer about if there is any trouble with Henry and Richard. No trouble. Good sign. I know he's a good student, but to have problems is a different thing.
Gregory Atkinson wrote:I don't think that analyzing a delirious boy's mutterings is getting us anywhere. No offense, doctor, but sometimes there is no hidden meaning. I think it is time we head out and start seeing the site ourselves, and not rely on the local law enforcement's wolf hunt for results.
Albert only smiles at this statement. He knows how important is to listen what one says. And how reveling it could be...

If you want to do something useful, the best is going to the campsite and help the Police to find Richard. Talking to the family could be a good thing to do, but which benefit it could bring now. The Cardigam family appears to know nothing, as they hired you to find Richard. And about the Atwater family... I don't think it's a good idea to talk to them now about Richard. They are far more concerned about Henry, who lies in a hospital bed, without much conscience.

I think the best we can do now is to help find Richard at the campsite. After all is it not because of him that we are here? To find him?

But that's only my opinion...
He shrugs his shoulders, letting the others give their opinions too.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Quickly finishing off his sandwich, Mickey gulps down his soda. Nodding at the suggestions going on around the table, Mickey says Well, in my humble opinion, I think the next logical step would be to survey the scene of the....diasappearance. Once we get some idea of what may have happened there, well, it might lead us to Richie, or at least our next course of action.

Rubbing his chest, Mickey begins to regret bolting his food and drink, thinking Man, I'm gonna pay for this later!
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen

Finishing his coffee and cake.
Well we might as well, since we don't have any better ideas at the moment. I guess it is the best course of action for now.

Donald waves the waitress over and pays for his coffe and cake and for Ondine's soup. that's what it was, wasn't it? :D He won't take no for an anwser if she argues.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

zielonobrody wrote:Donald waves the waitress over and pays for his coffe and cake and for Ondine's soup. that's what it was, wasn't it? :D He won't take no for an anwser if she argues.
Merci vraiment. and offers Donald a sweet smile, well we had best be off to the camp site then, I've no intention of being caught out there in the dark, bear or no bear.

Yes, fish soup.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

Having finished his meal, Albert calls the waiter to pay his bill. Then he turns to the others: I agree with M.lle Dumont. We should go to the campsite. I can take Herr Lutherhagen and Mickey with me. You, Mr. Atkinson could take a taxi with M.lle Dumont and Mr. Roberts and get your car at your office. I'll meet you there, so we can go together to the campsite. What do you think?
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson

Slightly annoyed that it took them a whole lunch to come around to the suggestion he made at the asylum, Gregory pays his bill and says: Yes, we've wasted too much time already. Taxi? It is only a couple of blocks to the office. It would take longer to get one than to just walk there. The rest of you wait here and I'll get the car and pick you up. Not waiting for another drawn out discussion, Gregory heads off immediately.

Amarriner, you are nice enough to give us the car, is a driver included? I'll be jumping ahead here, as I want to pick something up.

Back at the office, Gregory reports his "progress" to the boss: We got a short statement from the Atwater boy (so he's exaggerating slightly ;) ) and met up with some people from the University that know Cardigan. The group of us are heading up to the campsite and plan on joining the search parties after checking things out. I need a car and a driver, he can help search after dropping us off. You said this was top priority.

After whatever answer Saltonstall gives, Gregory hurries to his office, grabs his Luger from the drawer (wolves? idiot! still, a bear is possible, and it is always best to be safe) and heads to the car. Alone or with a driver, he speeds quickly back to the café to pick up the others.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont

when Gregory arrives with the car Ondine takes a seat and asks to swing by her apartment, where she collects an electric torch and a set of unstylish practical boots.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen

Lets give ourselves an hour or so for getting equipment and such and meet at the campsite afterwards.

Donald will search the attic for his old trekking backpack. He'll take a hunting knife and a utility knife, a blanket, trekking shoes, spare socks, an electric torch. He'll change into something more comfortable for the outdoors and he'll take a coat. Something to make a fire. He might look wierd with a backpack on his back, but what the heck. Just like the old days... Anyway, it looks quite small on me. i feel twenty years younger already. Oh.. I almost forgot.. somthing for poison ivy and my trusted first aid kit. All in greens and khaki Donald returns to the car.

Let's go. I'm ready for everything.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

Winston will take a cup of tea while he waits for the others. He has nothing else to take but him.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson

Unless Jack needs to stop anywhere, like Ondine, Gregory will drive (or be driven) directly to the closest point a road will take them to the campsite.
These University folks sure like to take their time Gregory thinks to himself. We can meet up with them when they manage to show up. Meanwhile there is a missing boy out there and daylight is wasting.

Sorry if it seems like I'm railroading the story, but my character's situation and persona makes me think he will be wanting to satisfy his boss ASAP, and not dilly-dally with contemplation. I know this can be lethal in Cthulhu, but I have to be true to him.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

E. E. Saltonstall & Associates

Saltonstall listens to Gregory and nods a bit, but doesn't really react too much to the news. He just wants Atkinson to figure it out and doesn't care much for the details. Take a cab and put the bill on the firm. Shouldn't be a problem.

Return to “The Condemned”