IC: Scene 1 - Arkham Sanitarium

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Arkham Sanitarium

Post by amarriner »

Inside the Sanitarium

Before Albert enters
HellBlazer wrote: Excuse me Doc but my name is Jack Roberts and I am a private investigator working for Mr.Saltonstall I was brought in to help with the quick recovery of his son , now the only person on earth who knows exactly what happened out there is that boy that is in your charge. It would really help matters if we could avoid another trip to this asylum , now I am a former police officer and I have dealt with these kinds of situations before and every hour that passes increases the chance of never finding the lad.
Hardstrom just about loses it at this point. He's fed up with telling people no, and it seems like more people just keep coming and badgering him about his patient! How in the hell am I supposed to treat this poor lad if I'm not left alone!

I, frankly, couldn't care less who you are, sir! I feel bad for the missing boy, I really do, but he's not in my charge. Atwater is and he is my only concern right now! You lot barging in and spewing questions at him in his current condition will only make things worse! He's not even speaking coherently right now! Now please leave!

After Albert Enters
Miss Scarlet wrote:Good morning Hardstrom. I'm sorry to disturb you but could we talk about a patient?
Hardstrom is still fuming from dealing with Gregory and Jack, but when he sees Albert he calms a bit. He's attended lectures with Dr. Winston and holds him in high regard. Good morning, Albert! So good to see you again. A patient? Oh don't tell me you want to see the poor Atwater boy, too? Hmm. He stops to think for a moment. Clearly he's torn. He truly feels that Atwater shouldn't be talking to anyone right now and the best thing for him is rest. However, he does feel that Albert might be of some help in diagnosing the problem.

Okay, Albert you can go in. You can take one person with you, but that's it! I don't want a room full of people asking him questions. Just two people--no more.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Hello Eric. I see this whole incident is causing a lot of distress here. He pulls Hardstrom to someplace apart from the other man.

As a matter of fact I'm here to talk about Henry Atwater, but I'd like to talk to you first to know how he is going and then evaluate if it's a good idea to talk to him now. The other student, Richard Cardigan, is in my class and he's a very good student, one of the best. So you can understand my concern, but first is the conditions of Henry. I don't like to force anything because it could only make things worse.

But tell me Eric, how is the boy? In which conditions he was found? How is he now? Which treatment is he receiving?
He asks one question at a time, giving Hardstrom time to answer them.

OOC: Folks, Winston will call someone to go with him, probably the Coach, since Mickey is very agitated with the situation. But give him sometime to talk to Hardstrom. :)
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Inside the Sanitarium

He's not doing well at all, Albert. He was sent to us just yesterday from St. Mary's as they felt they couldn't treat him. Evidentally he was found wandering the streets Sunday morning. From the sounds of it not much has changed in his mental state since then. He seems to be in relatively good health physically. He's very incoherent, though. I've not been able to get any kind of rational story or even single thought out of him! We had him heavily sedated for a time, but have recently backed off of that to see how he responds. Apart from that there's not much we can do as yet. Since he's not really talking and doesn't seem to hear us, though I can't be certain of that.

Detective Stuckey from Arkham PD is in with him right now, so you can go in when he's finished, if you choose to.

Yeah you six can decide who you think should go with Albert (if anyone) and just let me know.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

He's being incoherent... Interesting. Is there any sign of lightning? The papers mentioned something about that... Do you think he could have been hit by a lightning and in consequence of that he lost his memories? Then Albert lowers his voice. Do you think is a good idea the Detective talks to him right now? Which interrogation techniques he's planning for the poor boy? Winston seems concerned by the possible damage a police interrogation could cause in Atwater's mind.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
Riotopsys wrote:Ondine Dumont
Pardon our rudeness, My companion is Gregory Atkinson and I am Ondine Dumont. then offers her hand to Donald
Yeah, I know Mickey too :)

Taking Ondine's hand gently and bending down almost in half, Donald gently touches the back of her hand with his lips. It's just the way he was brought up, or maybe... Still holding her hand and looking straight into her eyes, he says:
A pleasure to meet you Madame. My name is Donald Lutherhagen, but I'd be delighted if you'd call me Donald.

Letting go of Madame Dumont's hand, he extends his hand to Mr. Atkinson.
Donald Lutherhagen, pleased to meet you. I'm sorry if my clothes are a bit casual, and maybe a bit dirty here and there, but I had to cancel my teams baseball practice in the middle of it due to the sad news. Richard is my best shortstop. I hope he's OK and we find him soon. I'm expecting Gregory to have taken the hand put before him.

If anybody cares to notice, Donalds scent is that of rather expensive cologne mixed with a bit of sweat. Of course he's still using the cologne he used to buy while his wife was still alive, so both fragrances compliment each other really well, and the sum of them is quite pleasant and still managing to be definitely manly.

Concerning going in, I'll be away for a while, so if anybody wants to go instead of me it'll keep the action going. Donald will take care of the Lady engaging her in casual conversation, but as to let Mickey share his thoughts also
Last edited by zielonobrody on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Inside the Sanitarium

Hardstrom says, Well probably the most frequent word he's said is "lightning". However, whether that means he's actually been struck or not we don't quite know yet. It seems as good an explanation as any, though. Certainly it's the only theory we have at the moment. I believe that's what they initially concluded at St. Mary's, too.

Oh don't worry about the detective. He's a blustery sort, but he's harmless.
Hardstrom smiles. Anyway he's not interrogating Atwater. At least not yet. Henry is not a suspect or anything like that. Stuckey just wanted to ask him a few questions. Believe me, I'd rather not have him in there either, but there's not much one can do with when the PD leans on you. At least not one in my position.

Perhaps a love triangle brewing outside the asylum? ;)
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

I understand, Eric, I understand... He says refering at the Police's request.

I know the lightning is the most plausible explanation for that, but I'm not too convinced. If he had been stricken by a lightning shouldn't he present any sign of burning? And if he's in perfect "body health" I think it could be the trauma to see the lightning striking his friend, Richard, than himself. What do you think?
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Inside the Sanitarium

Hardstrom responds, Yes, that's just it, Albert. There doesn't appear to be any physical indication that he was struck by lightning. Since that storm was rather bad, your idea makes a lot of sense. Still, I honestly don't know what happened out there. Unfortunately, the two people who do know are either ramblingly incoherent or missing entirely! Hopefully Henry, once he's feeling better, can shed some light on the subject. Until then, I'm afraid all we have are hypotheses. Nothing more.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

Indeed my friend, indeed. Well, I'll see who wants to go with me to talk to Herny. I'd like to be one of his friends. To see a friendly face always helps.

Please, let me know when we can talk to him.
Saying that, Winston will go outside the Sanitarium to talk to the others, unless Hardstrom has anything to say.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

Winston goes outside the Sanitarium and sees the group talking. He approaches them and greets.

Good morning. And waits to be introduced to those he doesn't know.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Inside the Sanitarium

Hardstrom says, No problem, Albert. I will let you know when Detective Stuckey is finished.

I will wait until you decide who will be going in with Dr. Winston before posting again unless I need to step in for any reason. Just let me know whenever you decide. When you're ready, Detective Stuckey will exit the asylum and Hardstrom will come out as well to find Albert.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Mickey stifles a laugh at Donald’s extravagant greeting of Ondine. What a smooth operator. Urgh, you’d think he’d know better at his age. Gross!

Mickey shyly shakes hands with Ondine and Gregory, Pleased to meet you both
Samuel wrote:Actually, son, we were planning next to see if we could find any of Richard's friends, but it looks like we may have had a stroke of good luck after bad.
What do you know of the boys' camping trip? Did Richard give you anymore details of his plans this past weekend?
Well, I was meant to go camping by the River with Richie last Thursday, but something came up and I had to take a raincheck. I’m not exactly sure which spot they were camping at, although….Mickey rummages around in his bag and retrieves the newspaper, Yeah, here it is….half a mile north west of Cabot Road. Just off the Aylesbury Pike.

OOC – I’m assuming Mickey has camped there before with Richard, or will at least know the spot?

Sensing a bit of rivalry between Donald and Gregory, Mickey is beginning to feel a bit like a gooseberry. Shaking his head and rolling his eyes he thinks to himself It’s hardly the time and the place for this. Still, I guess it’s just Mr Lutherhagen's competitive nature.

Sighing, Mickey asks if Gregory and Ondine have any other information they could share. Mickey waits until he sees Dr Winston emerge from the asylum, Doctor, is everything ok? What’s happening? Surely they’ll let you of all people see Henry? he asks, appalled at the thought of the doctor being refused access to the patient.
Last edited by Dondero on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Dondero wrote:OOC – I’m assuming Mickey has camped there before with Richard, or will at least know the spot?
Mickey has a pretty good idea of where it is and could definitely find it without too much trouble. However, Richard had many camping spots along the Miskatonic so it's hard to say for sure if this is one he's used in the past or not. Mickey knows he's camped in roughly that area before, but possibly not that exact site.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston
Doctor, is everything ok? What’s happening? Surely they’ll let you of all people see Henry?
Albert can't help himself on smiling about the sequence of questions Mickey's made.

Then he looks at the others: I'm Doctor Winston, Albert Winston. And you are? He asks before telling what's happened inside the Sanitarium.
HellBlazer
Layman
Layman

Post by HellBlazer »

amarriner wrote:Inside the Sanitarium

I, frankly, couldn't care less who you are, sir! I feel bad for the missing boy, I really do, but he's not in my charge. Atwater is and he is my only concern right now! You lot barging in and spewing questions at him in his current condition will only make things worse! He's not even speaking coherently right now! Now please leave!
Jack is a little perturbed by the doctors response but also realizes that he is speaking the truth.
I understand doctor , good day.
With that Jack turns and heads outside to meet up with the others and notices that his group has almost doubled since he last saw them , he approaches and shakes hands with Donald,Mickey and Albert.

Greeting's, Jack Roberts P.I., I assume you have met my colleges already could we have stumbled upon some visitors for young Atwater?

Well needless to say I had no luck with that doctor and we really need to focus on another lead ,you okay Ondine? .
He pulls out a cigarette and sparks it , exhaling through his nostrils

I'll wait for you guys to bring Jack up to speed about what Mickey has said.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Re: IC: Scene 1 - Arkham Sanitarium

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Realising that Dr Winston was waiting to be formally introduced to the group of people, Mickey took the initiative and made hurried introductions. Dr Winston, this is Ondine, Gregory and Jack.

To the three, Mickey says impatiently, Doctor Winston’s our psych professor at MU.

Getting more excited and animated as he speaks, You’re not going to believe this, Doctor, but these people have been hired by Richie’s dad! To investigate his disappearance. That’s good news, right? The more chance we have of finding him. They were here to see Henry too, looks like we all lucked out. Mickey says this last sentence with resignation in his voice, and his shoulders slumping.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston
Dr Winston, this is Ondine, Gregory and Jack
Nice to meet you lady, gentlemen. And he nods his head as a compliment.
Doctor, is everything ok? What’s happening? Surely they’ll let you of all people see Henry?
Answering your questions, Mickey, well the situation does not seem good. Henry Atwater is until now incapable to speak coherently. And the doctors couldn't determine what his problem is. A Detective is talking to him now and when he finishes Dr. Hardstrom allowed two of us to go talking to Henry, myself and someone else. I'd like to be someone Henry could recognize from University. It'll help if he sees a friendly face.
You’re not going to believe this, Doctor, but these people have been hired by Richie’s dad! To investigate his disappearance. That’s good news, right? The more chance we have of finding him. They were here to see Henry too, looks like we all lucked out.
It's good to hear you are here to help finding young Richard. I hope we have luck and could find him very soon.

And also I hope we have luck talking to Henry. That could feel more comfortable in a presence of someone from the University and be able to talk to us and tell what's has happened at the camping site... He thinks.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
I'll go then. I think I can handle it. If you could tell me some basic things I should or shouldn't do while in the presence of the boy, I'll be ready. I'm a calm person.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

There's nothing especial to say. The most important now is Henry can see familiar faces people that he could recognize from some where. It'll help him to trust and maybe to talk to us.

He's in shock. Maybe because of a trauma of seeing a lightning so close. Maybe because of something else. It's impossible to know for now. We're going inside to try making him talk coherently. He's just said some words until now and none of them making a sentence. Accordingly Dr. Hardstrom, one of the most frequent words is lightning, but without further information to connect it it's difficult to figure what's happened to him and to Richard.

The he turns to Ondine, Gregory and Jack: I'll try my best to get some useful information from him and you can be sure I'll tell you everything he says, if he says anything at all... Let's hope for the best.

Richard is one of my best students and I hope the Police could locate him in no time.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Grateful for Donald’s intervention, Mickey didn’t really feel up to interviewing the catatonic student. Although Donald could be quite an intimidating man to be confronted with, Mickey was concerned that his nervousness and immaturity might distress Henry Altwater further.

Knowing his skills will be of use in other areas, Mickey turns to the other group and says The interview with Henry might take a while, if you guys have a vehicle, do you mind if I tag along? Have you got any further leads or lines of enquiry?

Return to “The Condemned”