IC: Scene 1 - Arkham Sanitarium

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

Dondero
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: IC: Scene 1 - Arkham Sanitarium

Post by Dondero »

Outside the Sanitarium - Mickey O'Dwyer

Standing close by the Saltonstall employees, Mickey listens intently to the conversation taking place between Jack and Detective Stuckey.
amarriner wrote:We didn't find much yesterday except for that bloody shovel those sensationalists in the press thought fit to print.
Mickey brings out the newspaper and checks the report, Er…Detective, sorry to interrupt, but there’s no mention of a shovel in the press report.

Feeling the need to clarify his presence, Mickey shrugs and mutters a nervous, I’m a friend of Richie Cardigan’s.

With all sorts of gruesome possibilities whirring through his mind, What’s the significance of the shovel? Is it evidence? Has it been used as a weapon? Or used to dig something? You have checked for disturbances in the ground?

Aware that firing off a barrage of questions at people was becoming an unhealthy habit for him, he realises that this may not be the best target for interrogation, so he mumbles an apologetic Sorry, blushing slightly, I’m just concerned about my friend.

OOC - I know the shovel was mentioned in the game app, but I couldn't see any mention of it in the newspaper report, but I may have missed it! :roll: so I'm treating this as new information. Feel free to put me straight!
Last edited by Dondero on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by amarriner »

Outside the Sanitarium
Whatcha' got there, the Gazette? Naw, it was in the Advertiser. At Mikey's questions, Stuckey starts to get a little defensive. He's a big burly sort and not used to having to explain himself. 'Course it's evidence! What do you take me for? Shovels usually are used to dig things, aren't they? We haven't yet determined the significance of the shovel, but we soon will. I think they used it to defend themselves from a wild animal of some kind. Bear or wolf or something. Stuckey seems less than convinced at his own theory. After Mickey apologizes he lightens up slightly. Well, I can understand you being worried about your friend.

Dondero wrote:OOC - I know the shovel was mentioned in the game app, but I couldn't see any mention of it in the newspaper report, but I may have missed it! :roll: so I'm treating this as new information. Feel free to put me straight!
Oh no, no worries. You're right it wasn't in the Gazette article I gave you earlier. :) It is new information.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont - Outside

Mickey, there are plenty of reason for a shovel to be at a camp site, lets not jump to anything rash.

Um.. I'm assuming the infection in Stuckey voice was bloody as in "blood coated shovel" not "Damn shovel"
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Outside the Sanitarium - Mickey O'Dwyer

Sorry, Detective, I meant no offence. Just seems a little unfortunate doesn't it: a wild animal attack and a lightning strike? That's some camping trip that Richie and Henry had themselves don't you think? Gee, I'm glad I never went with them, after all.

It'll be interesting to see the campsite for ourselves.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Outside the Sanitarium
That's why I don't go traipsing around in the woods! There's some weird things going on out there. Give me the city any day!, says Stuckey.

Correct, Riotopsys. I meant a shovel with blood on it. Good distinction, sorry about that.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Inside the Sanitarium

Albert Winston
River ... water ... lightning ... old ... tent ... them ... power ... book.
River, water - I think he's meaning the Miskatonic River. If I remember correctly they went to camping near the river.

Lightning - it could mean they were stricken by a lightning.

Old tent - was their tent old? Or is he referring to anything else?

Power, book - this doesn't make much sense. Were they taking a book with them or did they find a book there? But if so, where? In the middle of the woods?

Albert thinks remembering all his studies about Medicine and Psychology to understand, to connect what Henry is saying with his present condition. And what it could mean to Richard and his whereabouts.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Inside the Sanitarium
Miss Scarlet wrote:Albert thinks remembering all his studies about Medicine and Psychology to understand, to connect what Henry is saying with his present condition. And what it could mean to Richard and his whereabouts.
Albert assesses the patient as best he can given the short time frame and limited resources available to him. He definitely agrees with Dr. Hardstrom in that there doesn't seem to be any physical symptoms manifesting themselves. No burns, cuts or bruises are visible. Atwater definitely seems groggy, but that's most likely due to the sedative. Dr. Winston is not sure of the cause of the mans psychological problems--he feels that something very traumatic happened which has caused him to regress to where he has trouble putting words together. He definitely does not think Atwater was struck by lightning.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont - Outside
amarriner wrote:Outside the Sanitarium
That's why I don't go traipsing around in the woods! There's some weird things going on out there. Give me the city any day!, says Stuckey.

Correct, Riotopsys. I meant a shovel with blood on it. Good distinction, sorry about that.
You can say it "Stop being a pita. I don't mind"

Weird things, detective, the way your talking it sounds as if you have information the public may need to know about that area. Just what sort of "Weird Things" are you referring to?
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Inside the Sanitarium

Donald Lutherhagen
Miss Scarlet wrote:
River ... water ... lightning ... old ... tent ... them ... power ... book.
River, water - I think he's meaning the Miskatonic River. If I remember correctly they went to camping near the river.

Lightning - it could mean they were stricken by a lightning.

Old tent - was their tent old? Or is he referring to anything else?

Power, book - this doesn't make much sense. Were they taking a book with them or did they find a book there? But if so, where? In the middle of the woods?
I believe you missed one Doctor. "THEM". I have some other thoughts than yourself. If you think this is all we'll get out of him, how about we leave him be, and converse outside?
So they either leave or stay, no difference.
I'll start off with a comment to your thoughts. Old and tent doesn't mean they go together does it? We can check that out at the campsite, or ask Mickey if Richard had an old tent. What I can't come to understand is who THEY are. Are they old? Have they got power? Maybe they scared the boys with a little illusionary trick into a mental breakdown? Oh gee... I don't know what to think.
Donald seems a bit upset and distraught. He's thinking heavily, his brow full of deep wrinkles , his lips tight together and his cheeks moving with the air he's distributing around them unconsciously.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Inside the Sanitarium

Albert Winston

Albert looks a little longer to Henry, thinking about what could cause his conditions. Then he stands up.
I believe you missed one Doctor. "THEM". I have some other thoughts than yourself. If you think this is all we'll get out of him, how about we leave him be, and converse outside?
There's a lot of interpretations, Herr Lutherhagen, but it's better to leave Mr. Atwater to rest for now.

Winston leaves the room and before continuing his conversation with Donald, he talks to Hardstrom. Eric, could you ask someone to pay attention to what the young Atwater is saying and write it down. Maybe we can get some clue about what's happened and what's caused his present condition. Anyway, thank you very much for your help. I'll keep you informed on what we conclude. It might help his treatment.

Then he walks toward the main door, discussing with the coach what possible interpretations Henry's words could have.
I'll start off with a comment to your thoughts. Old and tent doesn't mean they go together does it? We can check that out at the campsite, or ask Mickey if Richard had an old tent. What I can't come to understand is who THEY are. Are they old? Have they got power? Maybe they scared the boys with a little illusionary trick into a mental breakdown? Oh gee... I don't know what to think.
You are right, Herr Lutherhagen. I was only speculating. Maybe if we talk to O'Dwyer he could help us in a better interpretation.

Absorbed with his thoughts, Winston arrives outside of the Sanitarium and notices the group is now gathered around Detective Stuckey. He approaches them and introduce himself.

Pardon me, Detective. I'm Dr. Albert Winston from the School of Human Conduct at the Miskatonic University. I've just talked to the young Atwater and I understand you've talked to him to. He told us some words and I'd like to know if he said something to you too. Maybe we can compare this information.

OOC: I'm considering both Winston and Donald left Henry's room. I think it wouldn't be the best behavior for a Psychologist to talk in front of the patient.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Inside the Sanitarium

Donald Lutherhagen
You are right, Herr Lutherhagen. I was only speculating. Maybe if we talk to O'Dwyer he could help us in a better interpretation.
A bit lost in thought Donald only nods and follows Dr. Winston out of the Sanitarium and sits down on a bench to contemplate.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Outside the Sanitarium
Gregory Atkinson

Shaking his head after coming out of of his introspective stupor, Gregory catches up on the conversation:
amarriner wrote: Detective Stuckey said: Whatcha' got there, the Gazette? Naw, it was in the Advertiser.
Do you have a copy of the Advertiser article on hand?
amarriner wrote:Detective Stuckey said: I think they used it to defend themselves from a wild animal of some kind. Bear or wolf or something.
Well it certainly wasn't wolves, sir, there hasn't been any in Massachusettes since, what? before the Civil War? Common knowledge. I'd say any wild animals they would have fought off would be more likely some sort of bootlegger or other criminal.
Riotopsys wrote:Ondine said: Weird things, detective, the way your talking it sounds as if you have information the public may need to know about that area. Just what sort of "Weird Things" are you referring to?
Yes, could you elaborate please?

So those are not all at once, and are delivered politely, not scoffingly. Got my paperwork and such caught up, and am ready to stay on top of things here. Thanks for all those good thoughts.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Outside the Sanitarium
As Albert and Donald walk outside, Dr. Hardstrom pokes his head out the doors as they're walking down the steps. We'll keep an eye on him, Albert, and as you know will document everything he says and does. Feel free to come back tomorrow if you'd like as I suspect he'll be in much better condition to speak. Hopefully the sedatives will have fully worn off by then. With that, he heads back in a closes the doors to the asylum.

Stuckey, now feeling a bit like one of his interrogation victims, fields the groups questions:
Miss Scarlet wrote:He told us some words and I'd like to know if he said something to you too. Maybe we can compare this information.
Well, I'm afraid I didn't get much out of him. He didn't seem to want to talk much. Dunno if it was the lightning's made him mute or what. I asked him some simple questions, but got no answers out of him. Poor kid didn't speak a word to me.

Samuel wrote:Do you have a copy of the Advertiser article on hand?
'Fraid not. Didn't have much more than the Gazette did, though. Just that bit about the shovel.

Samuel wrote:Well it certainly wasn't wolves, sir, there hasn't been any in Massachusettes since, what? before the Civil War? Common knowledge. I'd say any wild animals they would have fought off would be more likely some sort of bootlegger or other criminal.
Gregory gets the impression Stuckey wouldn't know what a wolf looked like if it came up and bit him. He's not exactly what you'd call a nature person. Well, still coulda been a bear. But I wouldn't deny it coulda been a bootlegger, too. We've had a lot o' problems with them lately.

Riotopsys wrote:Ondine said: Weird things, detective, the way your talking it sounds as if you have information the public may need to know about that area. Just what sort of "Weird Things" are you referring to?
Aw, you ought to know if you've spent any amount of time in this town. Whispers about things on the outskirts. People go missing, or worse come back crazy like poor Henry, Stuckey says pointing a thumb back at the sanitarium. Me, I don't think there's anything supernatural about any o' that stuff. Simple explanations, I'm sure. You know how superstitious the folk of this town are, though. Things that go BUMP in the night and all that.

No worries, Riot. You're not being a pita. :)
I think I answered everyone's questions, but if not feel free to ask them again. Stuckey won't get mad. :) Otherwise he's about to leave.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont

A bear, officer, you must be joking, it would take more then a shovel to discourage a bear. As for "things on the outskirts" I alway chalk that up to shotty police work. {french}Miserable lazy Oaf{/french}
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

Winston pays attention to the answers of Detective Stuckey trying to understand what about a shovel and a bear. He keeps quiet and when the detective leaves he'll ask Mickey what was said.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Eyes widening at Ondine’s scathing retort to Detective Stukey, I can only imagine what that means in French, and it ain’t good!

Retreating from the group, Mickey spots Mr Lutherhagen sitting on a bench being uncharacteristically quiet. Concerned, Mickey goes over to join him. Hey, Mr Lutherhagen, how’re you doing? Was it really bad in there? He inclines his head to the asylum.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Riotopsys wrote:A bear, officer, you must be joking, it would take more then a shovel to discourage a bear. As for "things on the outskirts" I alway chalk that up to shotty police work. {french}Miserable lazy Oaf{/french}
Stuckey's eyes narrow a bit as he stares at Ondine. Apparently that comment didn't go over well. He waits before speaking. You wanna be careful who you're talking to, Miss ... With that he lumbers towards the big gates and off the asylum grounds.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

Nodding as he bids farewell to the Detective, Albert heads to the bench were Her Lutherhagen and Mickey, he asks: Mickey, do the Detective said something interesting about the case? I've heard something about a shovel. I don't remember anything about it in the newspapers. Does the Detective have the impression there was an animal attack at the campsite?
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Still sitting beside Mr Lutherhagen on the bench, Mickey responds to Dr Winston’s questions.

Yeah, the report in the Advertiser expands slightly to what was in the Gazette. It mentions a blood-stained shovel was found at the campsite. The detective seemed to think it may have been used to fend off an attack by a wild animal. Nodding his head to Ondine, Mickey laughs I think Miss Dumont pretty well represented our feelings on that assumption!

His voice taking a more serious tone, Mickey asks Dr Winston, How did it go in there with Altwater, Doctor? How’s the kid doing? Did you learn anything useful?
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont
Dondero wrote:Mickey O'Dwyer

Still sitting beside Mr Lutherhagen on the bench, Mickey responds to Dr Winston’s questions.

Yeah, the report in the Advertiser expands slightly to what was in the Gazette. It mentions a blood-stained shovel was found at the campsite. The detective seemed to think it may have been used to fend off an attack by a wild animal. Nodding his head to Ondine, Mickey laughs I think Miss Dumont pretty well represented our feelings on that assumption!

His voice taking a more serious tone, Mickey asks Dr Winston, How did it go in there with Altwater, Doctor? How’s the kid doing? Did you learn anything useful?

Thank you, Mickey that's sweet of you. turning to Dr Winston Sorry, I simply detest men like that. We've motioning to Gregory and Jack been hired by Mr Cardigan father to investigate his sons disappearance and seeing the state of local law enforcement I understand why. Please how is Atwater, we seem to have the same goal so surely a pooling of effort would be wise.

Return to “The Condemned”