Prelude: Of Students, Professors, and Coaches

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Prelude: Of Students, Professors, and Coaches

Post by amarriner »

Miskatonic University
Dormitory West

Monday June 6, 1927 8:40 am

Mickey O'Dwyer walks up the tight staircase to the second floor of the West Dormitory of Miskatonic University. It's warm, and the early morning sunlight streams through the small windows that dot the walls. Reaching the top, he continues into the hallway counting down the doorways until he reaches 215.

He hasn't seen his friend Richard Cardigan since before he and that other student left on their camping trip last Thursday. Room 215 is Richard's room along with his roommate Martin Gifford. Mickey supposes that Richard could just have been busy Saturday night and Sunday, but it's unusual for them not to at least meet up. Mickey is especially interested in Richard's findings on the trip. Initially, it was O'Dwyer who was to go with Richard, but he ended up having to cancel at the last minute. Instead, Richard went with Henry Atwater who O'Dwyer has never met.

Presently Mickey knocks on the door. There's some rustling from in the room, but no one answers after a few minutes so Mickey knocks again--longer and louder this time. Finally the door creeps open and the pitch blackness from within seeps out like a living thing. Instead of Richard, though, O'Dwyer sees Gifford.

What the hell do you want? It's way too early to be knocking on people's doors.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Of Students, Professors, and Coaches

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Mickey had gotten up at 6am this morning, and spent a couple of hours at work before class. He worked for Mr Potter, the University Groundsman, and his morning duties in the summer consisted mainly of watering, feeding and pruning the flowers and shrubs throughout the university. Although he picked up a meagre wage for this, Mickey would gladly have done this job for nothing. It was a pleasure for him to be out in the fresh air tending to 'his' greenery.

Before heading back to his room at the dorm, Mickey decided to check in on his friend, Richard. Mickey had been due to go camping with Richard over by the river, but a last minute assignment had scuppered his plans. Looks like I had a lucky escape, the weather was atrocious. Poor Richard must have got drenched in that storm!

Humming to himself as he ascended the stairs, Mickey adjusted his cap. Because of his facial affliction, Mickey subconsciously spent most of his time with his head down or trying to cover it up. Although he’s aware that his harelip can put people off him, Mickey has grown used to the long stares and laughs behind his back. A good-hearted and easygoing nature means he always tries to see the best in people.

Upon reaching Richard’s room, Mickey awaits an answer. Smoothing down his striped casual shirt and brown corduroy trousers, and fiddling with his bag, he’s puzzled by Richard’s absence. He’d expected a call from his friend. Before he was able to dwell any further, the door was flung open and Mickey took a slight step back when confronted by Richard’s irascible room-mate.

Er, hi Martin….how are you? Um….I don’t suppose Richard is around is he? I thought I might have bumped into him yesterday. I was just interested to see how he got on camping at the river. Gee, that storm was pretty bad on Friday, huh?
Taking off his cap, he wrings it in his hands thinking to himself, What does he mean by too early, it’s nearly nine a.m!
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Martin rubs the sleep out of his eyes and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to answer Mickey's question. He yawns and stretches a bit which Mickey must endure watching.

What am I, his mother? Naw, he ain't here. Haven't seen him all weekend, come to think of it. Martin pauses as if thinking. His bloodshot eyes go to the ceiling for a brief moment and then level on Mickey's eyes again. I think the last time he was here was Thursday. Had some stupid camping trip or something like that. With that Atwater guy. Clearly, Martin doesn't think much of either Atwater or Cardigan--or even O'Dwyer for that matter. He has his Psychology class on Monday morning so I suspect that's where he is. I think after that he has baseball practice.

He doesn't make much mention of the storm other than to say, Yeah maybe the Miskatonic flooded and he was swept away, huh?, with a cruel smirk. Anything else I can do for ya Mickey ol' pal?
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Nervously fidgeting with his cap in his hands, Mickey thinks Gee, Richard was right about this guy….what a jerk!

Upon discovering that Richard hadn’t returned back to the dorm after his camping trip, Mickey becomes immediately concerned and fires a barrage of questions at Martin, What, you mean he’s not come back yet? Didn’t that strike you as odd? You’ve not seen him since Thursday? He was due back on Saturday night, Martin, and you never thought to let anyone know?

Trying his best to stay composed, and not let his disgust at Martin’s flippant attitude show, he asks Who’s he got his Psych class with? Dr Winston?

Gnawing on his lip, Mickey says, more to himself than to Martin, I knew I should have gone on that trip with him.

Putting his cap back on his head, he says I’d better see if he’s showed up at his class. I’ll probably be back later to see if he’s turned up. If he does show up, tell him I was looking for him would you?

About to head off, Mickey turns over Martin’s words in his mind: Yeah, maybe the Miskatonic flooded and he was swept away, huh?
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Dondero wrote:What, you mean he’s not come back yet? Didn’t that strike you as odd? You’ve not seen him since Thursday? He was due back on Saturday night, Martin, and you never thought to let anyone know?
Listen mate, I don't ask him to keep track of me and I sure as hell ain't keeping track of him. Why should I? I've got enough to think about. Somehow Mickey doubts this. Sometimes I'm gone for days at a time! Maybe he's found himself a girl or maybe one of those illegal booze dens. Who knows? All's I know is he ain't here!
Dondero wrote:Who’s he got his Psych class with? Dr Winston?
Uh yeah, I'm pretty sure that him. I dunno, I've never taken a psych class. Bunch of hogwash if you ask me. Which, of course, Mickey didn't.
Dondero wrote:I’d better see if he’s showed up at his class. I’ll probably be back later to see if he’s turned up. If he does show up, tell him I was looking for him would you?
Oh you can be sure I will! Should I take down his other appointments and calls for him? Maybe write a term paper or two? Mickey, intensely glad to be putting ground between himself and Martin Gifford, hears the door to room 215 slam loudly as he hits the stairs down to the first floor.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Perturbed and slightly upset by Martin’s attitude, Mickey heads slowly back downstairs, weighing up his next move. Checking his watch he sees that it’s almost nine a.m. Although conscious that he has also classes of his own to attend, his concern for his friend outweighs this.

Walking over the busy quad, Mickey can’t shake the bad feeling that seems to have descended on him. Despite the sunny weather, he shivers involuntarily. His hand absently caressing the shrubs he had tended to just hours before, he passes through the shade of the Copley Memorial Bell Tower.

Mickey enters the maze that is the Robert Carter Memorial Hall and looks for a schedule within the School of Human Conduct showing where Dr Winston’s office is. Taking off his cap, he nervously knocks on the door to the office and enters when he is admitted.

Um…Dr Winston…excuse me, sir, my name’s Mickey….um, Mickey O’Dwyer. I’m a friend of Richard Cardigan’s – he’s a student in your Psychology class?

Well….um…I was expecting to catch up with him over the weekend. He’d been away on a camping trip, and he was due back on Saturday. Well, his room-mate hasn’t seen him, and I just wondered whether you’d seen him, as he’s due in your class?

Standing there, twisting his cap in his hand, Mickey tries his best to hide his nervousness.

OOC - Sorry, couldn't resist name-dropping a few places from my Miskatonic Uni sourcebook!
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Dondero wrote:OOC - Sorry, couldn't resist name-dropping a few places from my Miskatonic Uni sourcebook!
No problem! I'm using the Arkham Unveiled book and I think I can scrounge up a copy of the MU book as well so we may have some discrepancies, but that's easily glossed over or retconned. ;)

The class that Cardigan is in ends around 9:00 so when Mickey walks into the suite of offices, Professor Winston isn't there yet. However the secretary is and tells you he should be back shortly. So I'll post that and we'll defer your questions until Miss Scarlet posts for Albert. She can answer them. :)

Mickey opens the door to the suite of offices and looks around. In front of him is a small desk with an older woman sitting behind it. This, presumably, is the secretary for the professors in this suite. There's a small placard with the name 'Dalton' etched on it sitting atop the desk. Two doors with frosted glass windows are on either side of O'Dwyer. He notices the name Winston on one of them.

After asking the secretary about Professor Winston, she informs him that his first class of the day is about to finish up and that he always comes back down to his office before his next scheduled class at 10:45. If you'd like to take a seat and wait, I'm sure he'll be here in a moment, she says smiling.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Albert Winston

I hate Mondays. Winston thinks as he heads back to his office before his next class. I know Freud has a good explanation for this, some resentment regarding authority or some trauma at childhood... He shakes his head again and a discreet smile appears in his face. Although all the work at the University, that sometimes was so bureaucratic and Albert hates this, he loves the human mind and he's amused by the perspective of finding what was the cause of his hatred on Mondays.

As he enters his office, he notices there a student there. He turns to Ms. Dalto and asks if he has any messages.

She indicates the student that wants to talk to him.
Mickey O'Dwyer wrote:Dr Winston…excuse me, sir, my name’s Mickey….um, Mickey O’Dwyer. I’m a friend of Richard Cardigan’s – he’s a student in your Psychology class?

Well….um…I was expecting to catch up with him over the weekend. He’d been away on a camping trip, and he was due back on Saturday. Well, his room-mate hasn’t seen him, and I just wondered whether you’d seen him, as he’s due in your class?
He looks at him first and notices his concern about Cardigan.

I'm sorry, but I didn't see him this morning. And it's very odd because he's not used to miss classes.

Did he go alone for camping or have someone with him? If you know who could be with him, maybe we can check if this person is back, or not...

I told you. Monday it is...
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Mickey shakes his head No, I agree, it’s not like Richard at all. He’d never miss a lecture. It’s so unlike him not to call.

Gnawing at his bottom lip in worry, he responds to Dr Winston’s question, Richard went camping with another student, Henry Atwater. I’ve heard of him, but never met him. I was due to go, but was landed with a last minute botany assignment.

He shrugs, fearing he’s said too much, You know how these things are.

I spoke to Richard’s room-mate, Martin Gifford. He mentioned that he’s got baseball practice next. Now, there’s no way he’d miss that...... The Coach would make him do a hundred press-ups next time round!

Trying to mask his feelings with a feeble attempt at humour did little to quell his worry.

Sorry if I’ve taken up so much of your time, Dr Winston. I’ll maybe see if I can track down the Coach. He’s not exactly hard to miss is he?
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Not at all my son. And as you have the name of his mate, let's check on him. Then Winston turns to his secretary and asks her to find this student "Henry Atwater".

Which class does he attend? Where can we find him now? He poses those questions and waits for her efficient secretary to do her job.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen

Mornin' boys. You're all looking refreshed after the weekend. As I always say, it's good to start the day with a bit of exercise. I've already done four laps around the field, now it's your turn. I'll run along with you and check who's absent and who's still got a hangover. Any hint of alcohol warrants a prize two more laps. Anyone new? I don't see, I can't hear, so lets go.

Of course the alcohol rule isn't new, and anyone who ever came hung over knows the harsh life it would warrant for weeks after coming to practice in such a state, so everyone is sober as wheat in dry summer. The team starts running after some minor complaints and they soon catch up to their coach. The names begin to fall. Not two names into the list...

Richard Cardigan, where are you boy? OK, I've had it. that's the third missed practice in a row. If any of you see him after practice, send him over to me immediately. He'll be better off to come, lest I start looking for him myself. Never a hint of anger in his words.

This boy better have a good explanation for messing with this team.

If any of you get the impression that I will let this kind of behavior fly, you are mistaken. Missing practice is an insult to your intelligence and to your teammates. Keep that in mind please.

Donald's booming voice silences any whispers that Richards absence had aroused. Everyone else is present, and after the rest of a very silent run, individual practice commences.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Robert Carter Memorial Hall
School of Human Conduct

Monday June 6, 1927 9:00am
Mickey and Albert

Miss Scarlet wrote:Which class does he attend? Where can we find him now? He poses those questions and waits for her efficient secretary to do her job.
Ms. Dalton answers, I'm sorry sir I don't know off the top of my head. However, I'd be more than happy to run over to the Registrar's office and try to get the boy's schedule. It might take me a little while, though. The Registrar is across campus. Plus you know how slow old Mr. Wharton is, she says smiling.

Arkham High School
Baseball Fields

Monday June 6, 1927 9:00 am
Donald

The coach is a little concerned. Richard is one of his best players and not having him at practice is going to cause an issue. He doesn't let players who skip practice play in the next game, but he can't afford to sit his starting shortstop. The others aren't going to like it, but he might have to bend the rules. Where is that damn kid, anyway?, he thinks.

No problem on getting Donald started. He's just not got much to do yet until the other two meet up with him. :) The baseball team sometimes practices at the Arkham High School which is right across Church street from campus.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

Ms Dalton wrote:I'm sorry sir I don't know off the top of my head. However, I'd be more than happy to run over to the Registrar's office and try to get the boy's schedule. It might take me a little while, though. The Registrar is across campus. Plus you know how slow old Mr. Wharton is.
I wasn't expecting you knew this at the top of your head. Winston says with a smile to his secretary. She's a very efficient woman, but not a machine and he didn't expect, or like, she was.

I want exactly what you said, to go the Registrar's office and try to find this for me, which I really appreciate.

Then he turns to Mickey. You are welcome to wait with me for Ms. Dalton verification, but if you want to check with the Coach, I'll wait for you here. And if Ms. Dalton come back with the information about Henry Atwater, I'll check him.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Miss Scarlet wrote:I want exactly what you said, to go the Registrar's office and try to find this for me, which I really appreciate.
Of course, sir, right away! I'll be back as soon as I can. She straightens up her desk a bit, looks around to be sure things are all settled, and walks out the door of the suite off to the Registrar's Office.

Mickey and Albert are the only ones in the suite now.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Having taken a seat, Mickey waits patiently in Dr Winston’s office. He’s impressed with the way he talks to his secretary. If only my lecturers were as pleasant and respectful as him .

Watching Ms Dalton head off to obtain Henry Atwater’s schedule, Mickey says to Dr Winston, If it’s ok with you, sir, I’ll see if I can find the Coach. Maybe Richie turned up for practice. Who knows? I’ll come back and let you know what’s happening. I’ll maybe stop by Richie’s room afterwards and have a look around. We should maybe contact his parents too?

Donning his cap again, Mickey smiles awkwardly at the psychiatrist, Thanks a lot for all your help with this, Dr Winston. I hope you don’t think I’m letting my imagination run away with me…..I’ve just got a bad feeling about this. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

Heading back out his office, Mickey makes his way down Church Street to Arkham High School. Not relishing the prospect of interrupting the Coach whilst in the middle of practice, Mickey steels himself for the encounter.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Arkham High School
Baseball Fields

Monday June 6, 1927 9:05 am

Even before the High School is in sight, Mickey can hear the crack of a baseball bat every couple of moments. It's a nice mild day in Arkham, and Mickey enjoys the walk even if his mind doesn't really stop thinking about what's going on with Richard. As he gets closer to the fields, he hears the players shouting things to one another and periodically the Coach shouting even louder.

Mickey finally arrives at the baseball fields and sees the players shagging fly balls. The Coach is standing close to home plate giving orders to his troops.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Feeling completely out of place, any kind of sporting activity is totally alien to Mickey. With his hands in pockets he waits tensely near the sidelines, not daring to interrupt the Coach, and keeping an eye out for any stray balls.

Looking around, he realises that his friend isn’t here. About to turn away and head back towards campus, Mickey sees the Coach looking at him. Oh no , now I’m done for! groans Mickey to himself, as he trudges over with his head down.

Hearing the sniggers of the players who have stopped to wonder what “Freaky Mickey” is doing here, and without looking up, Mickey mumbles in a quiet voice, I’m sorry to interrupt, Coach, but I wonder if you’ve seen Richard Cardigan today? Um…he’s a friend of mine, and he appears to have gone missing. He never came back from his camping trip up by the River. No-one’s seen him since Thursday, and he was due back on Saturday. I heard from his room-mate that he was due to have baseball with you today?

Looking at the Coach, Mickey says Well, I guess he’s not here. I’d better be off then and let Dr Winston know he’s a no-show here too. Er....sorry to interrupt your practice. Keen to extricate himself from the intimidating company of the Coach, Mickey has visions of being forced to do a million sit-ups for daring to interrupt his practice session.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Dondero wrote:Mickey mumbles in a quiet voice, I’m sorry to interrupt, Coach, but I wonder if you’ve seen Richard Cardigan today? Um…he’s a friend of mine, and he appears to have gone missing. He never came back from his camping trip up by the River. No-one’s seen him since Thursday, and he was due back on Saturday. I heard from his room-mate that he was due to have baseball with you today?
Donald stands baffled by this unsuspected information. Mein Gott...
Dondero wrote:Looking at the Coach, Mickey says Well, I guess he’s not here. I’d better be off then and let Dr Winston know he’s a no-show here too. Er....sorry to interrupt your practice.
Before the boy gets a chance to split:
Now, hold on a second. First off, I didn't get your name. I sense that the team knows you, and that sniggering will earn them a few laps.

To the team:
Go on, circle the field, until i finish talking to your fellow student... I think you didn't hear me clear enough, ah, that's better.

As the team runs off muttering under their breaths:
Ok, come here and we'll have a talk if you have a minute.

Leading him to the nearest bench.
Since I'm not your coach as of yet, please call me Mr. Lutherhagen. Unfortunately Richard hasn't been around lately and I must say, I'm afraid I'll miss my one of my best players for the next match. Heck, that sounded like I didn't care about him at all as a person. Please don't get me wrong, I love these kids like the ones I never had, and I'd be devastated to find out that anything happened to one of my boys. So if there's anything you can tell me, or if there's anything I can help you with, don't be afraid to tell me. I'm Richards friend too.

OK, so maybe Donald is a big softie deep inside. I've decided not to get ahead of myself and not answer to the info I'm about to receive.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Uh….ok…Mr Lutherhagen Gee, I hope I pronounced that correctly.

Reluctantly walking back to the Coach, Mickey says Sorry, sir, my name’s Mickey. Mickey O'Dwyer. I’m a botany student and friend of Richie’s. We were due to go camping up by the river on Thursday, but I got landed with a last minute assignment, so Richie went with this other kid called Henry Atwater. I don’t suppose you know who he is?

I was due to catch up with Richie over the weekend, but he’s been a no-show at his psych class, and now he hasn’t turned up here either. I don’t want to set hares running, but I gotta tell you – I’m worried.

Dr Winston’s trying to track down this Atwater kid. He seemed pretty concerned too.

Sorry for taking up so much of your time, Coa…I mean, Mr Lutherhagen, but I said I’d get back to Dr Winston and let him know if Richie turned up for baseball.

The coach’s words: Since I’m not your coach as of yet rang in Mickey’s head. Please God, as of never!

Mickey waits politely to be dismissed by the Coach, but his impatience to be off is evident, particularly when he sees the glares the other students are giving him in retaliation for their punishment.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

COACH, COACH!

Mickey and Donald turn when they hear someone shouting, trying to get the Coach's attention. From out past left field a young man is running towards them waving something above his head. As he gets closer, Donald recognizes the man as Arnold Halsey, a student who tries out for the baseball team every year but never makes it. Donald let's him hang around because he's a good kid, but he's a little over-eager.

Coach, did you see the Gazette this morning? Oh my God, Richard's missing! Today's Arkham Gazette is the item Halsey was waving over his head and he thrusts it into Donald's hands as soon as he's close enough.

On the front page is the following story:
Arkham Gazette for Monday June 6th, 1927 wrote:Student Missing On Camping Trip
Richard Cardigan, a Junior at Miskatonic University, remains
missing today, apparently the victim of a camping accident.

Fellow camper Henry Atwater was discovered early Sunday
morning wandering the streets of west Arkham, suffering from
amnesia, and is currently hospitalized.

The young men left Arkham Thursday, to return on Saturday.

Police located the campsite beside the river a half mile
northwest of Cabot Road Sunday, but found no trace of Richard
Cardigan. A search for the missing student was abandoned till
Monday when a violent thunderstorm erupted. Police and volunteers
plan to search again today.

More volunteers are welcome and are requested to meet after
day-break at the Cabot Road dead-end. Cabot road runs north off
the Aylesbury Pike about three miles northwest of Arkham.

Atwater's Condition
Though physically well, Atwater suffers from amnesia and
has been entered in Arkham State Sanitarium. Doctors foresee a
full recovery.

Police hope he can soon add details to their knowledge, and
help locate the missing Cardigan. They speculate that the youths
may have been struck by lightning Friday evening, and fear that
Cardigan may have been seriously injured.

Return to “The Condemned”