Prelude: Of Students, Professors, and Coaches

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Of Students, Professors, and Coaches

Post by zielonobrody »

Digesting Mickey's words, Donald listens intently and only nods.
Dondero wrote:Sorry for taking up so much of your time, Coa…I mean, Mr Lutherhagen, but I said I’d get back to Dr Winston and let him know if Richie turned up for baseball.
OK son. Just tell me where I can find Dr. Winston and you when I finish here and..

COACH, COACH!

Oh no, not again...

Coach, did you see the hGazette this morning? Oh my God, Ricard's missing!

Donald doesn't even notice that Arnold is shouting so loud that the whole High School can hear, just takes the given newspaper and reads quickly. Meing Gott, nein! Das ist schrecklich!

Handing the newspaper to Mickey he turns on Albert evidently angry with him as he now realizes the whole team must have heard. Quietly yet intensely, he says to the boy:

Albert, how many times must I tell you not to run around yelling disaster? How many times must I tell you NOT to call me Coach? Please, think before you act in the future.

Yelling to the team:

Boys, come here. When they come closer in his normal voice: As you may have heard, our friend Richard has disappeared. If any of you has the time to help the Police look for him, I'm sure he'll appreciate it once he's found. Although I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, and he'll be found soon enough. Now hit the showers. That's it for today. I'll keep you posted once I find out anything useful. Now, scat! You too Albert, get back to your work.

To Mickey:
I'm sorry son. I'll do everything I can to help find our friend. The first thing we can do is inform Dr. Winston. Lead me to him, please.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Mickey is left reeling by the words of Arnold Halsey and the report contained in the Gazette.

Oh my God, mutters Mickey as he reviews the article. Poor Richie. Gee, a lightning strike. Do you think that’s possible, Mr Lutherhagen? That storm was pretty bad on Friday night I suppose.
zielonobrody wrote:I'm sorry son. I'll do everything I can to help find our friend. The first thing we can do is inform Dr. Winston. Lead me to him, please.
Putting the newspaper in his bag, Mickey nods as the Coach talks. OK, let’s head back to campus. Shaking his head in disbelief, Mickey is struggling to think straight as he leads the Coach back to Dr Winston’s office in grim silence.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by amarriner »

Robert Carter Memorial Hall
School of Human Conduct

Monday June 6, 1927 9:20am

On the way back to the School of Conduct, Mickey and Donald's mood his considerably worse than it was 30 minutes ago. The news from the Gazette really brought them down. They thought it was strange that Richard was missing, naturally, but neither of them really believed he was in all that much trouble. They figured he'd show up soon. Now with the idea that Cardigan might have been struck by lightning ...

They get back to the Memorial Hall and make their way back to Dr. Winston's office. Miss Dalton hasn't returned from the Registrar's Office yet--or at least she's not in the suite right now. The door to Albert's office is open and he's in it sitting in a high-backed chair behind his beautiful mahogany desk. There is no one else in the suite and the other office doors are closed.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen

Ah... You must be Dr. Winston... Extends his hand toward the man Hullo. I'm Donald Lutherhagen, I'm the coach of the Arkham Fiends. I'm afraid we're the heralds of bad news. Motions to Mickey to give him the newspaper.

I'm surprised you jumped into looking for Richard so fast. Is he a good student? That would explain his abilities to read the situation on the field. He'll turn out to be a great sportsman someday.

Although Donald has been brought down by this news, he evidently keeps his act together. He still remembers his student days. Getting lost in the woods after some drunken camping party wasn't really unusual. But sobering up usually helped in finding his way home or finding a lost friend. There's probably nothing to worry about and he will not let his mind wander into the dark regions of thought. He's been able to keep it constrained from doing so for years, so there's no reason to do let go of it now. I must be strong for Richard. For everyone...
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

On Donald's instruction, Mickey hands the newspaper over to Dr Winston. Mickey waits quietly whilst he reads it and absorbs what’s written on there, before retrieving it and putting it back in his bag.

Do you think Richie’ll be ok, Dr Winston? That storm was pretty bad on Friday night, says Mickey with a worried expression, looking for some reassurance.

Mickey becomes impatient whilst waiting for Miss Dalton to return, and starts pacing the office. Looking at the two men, Mickey says I really feel like I should be doing something, you know? How about if I head off to take a look around Richie’s room while we’re waiting for Miss Dalton to get back? There may be an innocent explanation for his disappearance….he may have left a note or something? That goon, Martin Gifford, is worse than useless.

About to head off, he turns back around, and says You’re both welcome to come with me, of course. Do you think it would be possible to take a peek at this Henry Altwater’s room too?
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Miss Scarlet »

If it’s ok with you, sir, I’ll see if I can find the Coach. Maybe Richie turned up for practice. Who knows? I’ll come back and let you know what’s happening. I’ll maybe stop by Richie’s room afterwards and have a look around. We should maybe contact his parents too?
I think it's too soon to alarm his parents. Let's find first where Atwater is. Winston answers understanding Mickey's "hurry". The younger are always in a hurry as they'll miss something if they don't do anything fast enough... He smiles at the student.
Thanks a lot for all your help with this, Dr Winston. I hope you don’t think I’m letting my imagination run away with me…..I’ve just got a bad feeling about this. Let’s hope I’m wrong.
I understand perfectly. I'm also concerned about Richard. He's a good student and he's not used to miss classes. But we should be calm and try to get as much information as we could about this camping. And Henry.

I'll be here, waiting for you.

Later...
Ah... You must be Dr. Winston... Hullo. I'm Donald Lutherhagen, I'm the coach of the Arkham Fiends. I'm afraid we're the heralds of bad news.
Winston greets Herr Lutherhagen offering his hand to shake. Nice to meet you Herr Lutherhagen. And he takes the newspaper and read the headlines.
I'm surprised you jumped into looking for Richard so fast. Is he a good student? That would explain his abilities to read the situation on the field. He'll turn out to be a great sportsman someday.
He is a very good student indeed. I'm glad to hear that he has skills in the sport too.
Do you think Richie’ll be ok, Dr Winston? That storm was pretty bad on Friday night.
We only can hope for, Mickey. But let's hope for the best.
I really feel like I should be doing something, you know? How about if I head off to take a look around Richie’s room while we’re waiting for Miss Dalton to get back? There may be an innocent explanation for his disappearance….he may have left a note or something?
Now we know where Henry Atwater is. He's at Arkham State Sanitarium. We don't need to wait for Ms. Dalton anymore.

And as it's in the article, Richard should have a shock, like they are assuming Henry had, as he's suffering from amnesia, and because of that he might have got lost in the woods. If he's suffering from amnesia too, it is very probable.

You’re both welcome to come with me, of course. Do you think it would be possible to take a peek at this Henry Atwater’s room too?
I don't think there is something in his room, or Atwater's, because it seems an accident. They didn't expecting it to happen. I don't think we will find something at his room, but if you want to go there, I'll accompany you. I just have to leave a message for Ms. Dalton telling her to cancel my classes for today.

I think the best we can do is offering our help to the Police to search the woods looking for Richard. I also would like to go to Arkham Sanitarium and see Henry. Maybe I can help...
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

As with the other group, just let me know where you'd all like to go and I'll get you there. :)
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Miss Scarlet »

OOC: Winston would like to go first to the Arkham Sanitarium.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Mickey O'Dwyer

Mickey smiles at Dr Winston’s eagerness to get to the sanitarium. It’s probably like a home from home for him.

You’re right, of course, Dr Winston. I guess I’m just clinging onto the hope that Richie made it back here. The thought of him still out there…. he doesn’t finish his sentence.

I don’t know anything about this Altwater kid, but Richie was a pretty good judge of character, so I guess he must be ok too.
He shrugs his shoulders, Well I don’t have an automobile, and the asylum’s over the other side of town. So if you don’t mind me tagging along? I promise I’ll try not to get in the way.

Looking around at the doctor and the coach, Mickey says sheepishly, No offense, but it may do this Altwater kid some good to have someone of a similar age around. You two can be pretty intimidating at times!

Mickey takes out the newspaper from his bag and re-scans the report, nodding his head Good, it gives a location for the campsite. We can maybe check that out later.

Realising he’s never been in an asylum before in his life, Mickey begins to feel nervous.

OOC - Happy to go to the nut-house too - we can't do any worse than the other group - ouch, that roll was brutal! Ooops, I've been caught peeking! :oops:
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Donald Lutherhagen
I'm not a person to go searching through peoples rooms. Anyway, I'm sure the police already looked there if they thought it was necessary. Anyway, I wouldn't believe they'd get lost on purpose, so there's probably nothing to look for there anyway. We could ask their roommates though. Is Richard would have been acting weird lately I'm sure I'd have noticed, or one of his teammates would have told me. I'd propose a nice stroll to the Sanitarium. It's a nice enough day. Unless you prefer driving, although I can't provide a car.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Albert has a car you can take. It would probably be too long of a walk. I'll be posting your arrival there in a new thread shortly ...

Return to “The Condemned”