Prelude: Of Lawyers, Interpreters, and Private Investigators

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Prelude: Of Lawyers, Interpreters, and Private Investigators

Post by amarriner »

Law Offices of E. E. Saltonstall and Associates
Conference Room

Monday June 6th, 1927 9:15 am

A deposition is taking place. Papers are strewn about the large oak table which consumes much of the space in the room. Gregory Atkinson, attorney for the defense, is writing furiously and paying close attention to the questions being posed to his client Miss Girard. Seated close to Miss Girard is Ondine Dumont. Since Miss Girard only speaks French, Ondine was brought in as an interpreter. Aldous Dexter, esq. is opposing council and is peppering Miss Girard with questions. She seems to be very nervous and doesn't speak very loudly. From time to time, Atkinson leans over and whispers something to Ondine who in turn whispers the translation to Miss Girard. The only other person in the room is one Miss Seaton the stenographer. She's busily taking down everything that's spoken out loud--though nothing in French, of course.

The deposition has been going on for about a half-hour now, and most of the participants other than Miss Girard are starting to get bored. Many of the questions Dexter is posing are nothing out of the ordinary. Every once in a while he'll ask something to which Atkinson will take umbrage with, but for the most part things are calm.

That ends abruptly as the door to the conference room swings open violently and none other than E. E. Saltonstall himself storms into the room followed by a man Gregory and Ondine recognize as Jack Roberts. Everyone turns to look at Saltonstall for a moment. They're a little shocked by the intrusion. Saltonstall slams a copy of this morning's Arkham Gazette down on the conference table. He begins talking very quickly.

I'm giving you a new assignment, Atkinson. Effective immediately. Herbert Cardigan phoned me this morning. Do you know who he is? Of course you don't! He's only one of our biggest clients! He's concerned about his boy, Richard. Herbert was supposed to see him yesterday but Richard never showed up. And now this!, he says pointing to the paper. I've brought Jack in to help. You're going to find him, and you're going to find him yesterday!

Saltonstall pauses as if expecting his "minions" to scamper away and do his bidding. Most around the table are just dumbfounded at the sudden interruption and are struggling to keep up. Gregory is a little unsure of what to do as the deposition is not over yet. Ondine simply sighs as if she's witnessed this sort of behavior before.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Of Lawyers, Interpreters, and Private Investigators

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine leans over to Miss Girard
{french}It appers the winds have changed my dear. Sit quiet for a moment you may need to reschedule.{/french}

and then turns to look at Gregory He'd best not forget lunch, no excuses this time.

We can change the context of that last statement should Gregory be married
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson

I'm going to assume that, as a new associate, I do not have the luxury of a personal secretary.

Right away Mr. Saltonstall.

Nods quick greeting to Jack.

Ondine, could you let Miss Girard know that we will need to reconvene on... shuffles papers on desk until he finds his appointment calendar...Would Wednesday at 10am work for you, Mr. Dexter?

Assuming this works for all parties, Gregory will bid quick farewells and pick up the paper to see what is so urgent.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Dexter checks his pocket watch, rolls his eyes and mutters something under his breath. Like Ondine he's been victim to this sort of blustery performance from Saltonstall in the past. He relents, though, as there's not much that can be done. Wednesday would be fine, thank you, he says and begins to pick up and pack away his documents and papers.

Greg picks up the newspaper as this is happening and reads the following story on the front page:
Arkham Gazette for Monday June 6th, 1927 wrote:Student Missing On Camping Trip
Richard Cardigan, a Junior at Miskatonic University, remains
missing today, apparently the victim of a camping accident.

Fellow camper Henry Atwater was discovered early Sunday
morning wandering the streets of west Arkham, suffering from
amnesia, and is currently hospitalized.

The young men left Arkham Thursday, to return on Saturday.

Police located the campsite beside the river a half mile
northwest of Cabot Road Sunday, but found no trace of Richard
Cardigan. A search for the missing student was abandoned till
Monday when a violent thunderstorm erupted. Police and volunteers
plan to search again today.

More volunteers are welcome and are requested to meet after
day-break at the Cabot Road dead-end. Cabot road runs north off
the Aylesbury Pike about three miles northwest of Arkham.

Atwater's Condition
Though physically well, Atwater suffers from amnesia and
has been entered in Arkham State Sanitarium. Doctors foresee a
full recovery.

Police hope he can soon add details to their knowledge, and
help locate the missing Cardigan. They speculate that the youths
may have been struck by lightning Friday evening, and fear that
Cardigan may have been seriously injured.
Sorry forgot to answer your question. Correct, Greg doesn't have a personal secretary.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont

{French}Miss Girard we are to continue this on Wednesday at 10am, pleasure to meet you and I look forward to seeing you once more.{/French}

Ondine leans close to Gregory and silently reads the article. she chuckles to her self and whispers to him Well things seem to be looking up for you. Mr. Saltonstall must have taken a liking to you no.

then to the group at large as Miss Girard and Mr. Dexter exit Pardom my asking, did Mr. Cardigan say if he knew anything about this trip or the Atwater boy before they went missing. while showing no intent on leaving.

An accident and disappearance is a strange reason to get your lawyer involved, somethings not right
HellBlazer
Layman
Layman

Post by HellBlazer »

Jack follows Mr.Saltonstall through the doors and into the room , waits for him to address his employees and sits down at the table with the others. Jack removes his brown fedora hat and nods a greeting to Ondine and Gregory

Assuming jack has read the paper already...

" Well folks this seems to be a very odd situation indeed , and whenever there is a missing person involved time is of the essance." Jack looks around the room at the people he is with and says " So where do you think we should begin? , I suggest we either help with the search effort or go interview the other lad and see if we can get anything out of him that might help us." Jack reaches inside his trench coat and pulls out a pack of camels , lights one up and waits for the others to share their opinion's.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont

There are plenty of police to do the searching, finding the extent of Mr Atwater's memory may be more beneficial in expediting the recovery of Mr. Cardigan

I know my character is over stepping her bounds here I'm just trying to stay in the scene
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Riotopsys wrote:{French}Miss Girard we are to continue this on Wednesday at 10am, pleasure to meet you and I look forward to seeing you once more.{/French}
Miss Girard looks sheepishly at Ondine and nods. {French}I'm so confused. First all these questions and now we must reschedule ... I will be here Wednesday morning Mme. Thank you very much for you assistance.{/French}
Riotopsys wrote:then to the group at large as Miss Girard and Mr. Dexter exit Pardom my asking, did Mr. Cardigan say if he knew anything about this trip or the Atwater boy before they went missing.
Saltonstall says, Listen miss ... uh Missus ... uh, and looks around for his secretary who isn't there. Most of the time his secretary knows more about what's going on then he does. Miss, Herbert Cardigan just said his son went on a camping trip that was only supposed to last a few days. Richard was to take the train into Boston to see Herbert on Sunday, but he never showed. That's all I know. Well that and what was printed in the Gazette this morning. Herbert's a big client and we need to keep him happy. He is not happy right now!
Riotopsys wrote:I know my character is over stepping her bounds here I'm just trying to stay in the scene
No, no, that's not a problem at all. She's not over-stepping bounds by any means. That's why she's in the scene. Saltonstall might be a jerk to her, but he can't really stop her from helping and he does want the boy found so as long as it gets done he doesn't care how. Sorry, I'd meant to have Miss Girard respond to Ondine before, but I forgot!
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Gregory Atkinson

The game just started and my character is already considering a trip to the sanitarium...hee, hee, hee.

Au revoir, Mademoiselle Girard. In what is, hopefully, not too mangled of an accent....
Riotopsys wrote:Ondine leans close to Gregory and silently reads the article. she chuckles to her self and whispers to him Well things seem to be looking up for you. Mr. Saltonstall must have taken a liking to you no.
Quick, discreet smirk at the comment. Low man on the totem pole, I guess I get to be gopher-boy for Saltonstall today.

Jack, I agree with Ondine, they already have a search party, why don't we see if the kid is feeling better yet and what he might have to say. I'm sure the police are on top of this, but going over it all again will make me look like I'm doing something and satisfy Saltonstall and his client. Perhaps we could also speak to some of his fellow students and professors, see if they might have heard any additional plans the boys might have had.

Ondine, looks like lunch is off, unless you would care to come along?
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont

Monsieur Atkinson, I would love to as my day is free. I feel we should start with the University as Mr Atwater may be potentially a lost cause.

She rises form the table and starts to collect her things into her purse.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Dexter finally has his papers together and leaves the conference room. Miss Girard smiles at Gregory and responds with an au revoir of her own. Je retournerai mercredi. She leaves as well.

Saltonstall stays a bit longer until he's satisfied things are starting to happen and then mutters something under his breath. I'll be in my office if you need anything. Don't come back until you've found Cardigan! With that he leaves just as abruptly as he came in. Jack, Ondine, and Gregory are left by themselves in the conference room.
HellBlazer
Layman
Layman

Post by HellBlazer »

Jack takes a long pull of his cigarette and exhales

"Well , I agree with you miss Dumont , and you Gregory"

Jack butts out his cigarette in a nearby ash trey.I assume they have ash trey's everywhere in the 20's... no smoking ban yet! ;)

" I say we start with the kid in the hospital , if he is to far off then on to the M U we head."
Dames probably right about the boy but I still want to see for myself the condition he is in....maybe it will give us a clue of what happened.

"So whats the verdict gang ?"
Last edited by HellBlazer on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Just let me know where the three of you decide to go, and I'll get you there! :)
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

HellBlazer wrote:"So whats the verdict gang ?"
Sounds like we should take a quick stop at the San, maybe it's a waste, but Saltonstall and his client will not be satisfied unless we cover all bases. All this is said with only the slightest, driest hint of sarcasm. And then yeah, off to the school.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

I'll just wait to see if Ondine agrees about going to the Sanitarium before moving you all there.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont

such a lovely thought spending the day in a sanitarium talking to a guy with a fried brain.

with a small sigh Alright Gentlemen, the sanitarium it is. Do either of you have an automobile.

the faster we get there the sooner we leave, please don't be a locked ward, I couldn't handle that.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Riotopsys wrote:Ondine Dumont

such a lovely thought spending the day in a sanitarium talking to a guy with a fried brain.

with a small sigh Alright Gentlemen, the sanitarium it is. Do either of you have an automobile.

the faster we get there the sooner we leave, please don't be a locked ward, I couldn't handle that.
I do not know where the law office is, but if it is close to the Sanitarium:

Why don't we take the short stroll, it is a very fine morning and I have no car.

If we are too far away for walking:

I'll call us a taxi and Saltonstall's client can foot the bill.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

It's close enough for a walk. I'll get you guys there soon.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Arkham Sanitarium
Monday June 6, 1927 10:00 am

It's a nice walk up Gedney Street from the law offices of E. E. Saltonstall & Associates to Derby at the edge of town. Making their way east on Derby, Gregory, Ondine, and Jack enjoy the warm Arkham summer day. After a short while, the sanitarium comes into view. The largest of its kind in the region, its fenced grounds are imposing. Whatever good thoughts were in their heads as they walked quickly drain as they approach. It's almost as if there's less light in and around the sanitarium then elsewhere. The building seems to literally drain them. No sound can be heard emanating from it, but they imagine they hear things just the same.

A posted orderly stands at the front gate and allows them access after asking them their business. The huge wrought-iron gates swing open giving way to a short sidewalk up to the edifice and into the front door. They notice that all the windows have bars on them.

Once inside they're immediately greeted by a nurse. She doesn't offer her name, but simply says, Is there something I can do for you, gentlemen and lady?
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

amarriner wrote:Once inside they're immediately greeted by a nurse. She doesn't offer her name, but simply says, Is there something I can do for you, gentlemen and lady?
Yes nurse.....? I will wait for a name and then continue:

Pleased to meet you Nurse fill in the name here. My name is Gregory Atkinson of E. E. Saltonstall and Associates, and these are my associates Miss Dumont and Mr. Roberts. Our client, Mr. Herbert Cardigan, is the father of the missing boy, Richard Cardigan, and he has retained us to track his son down. I understand that Henry Atwater, Richard's friend and fellow camper this past weekend, is currently a patient here. We would like to see him and get an account from him about the missing young man, if possible.

Return to “The Condemned”