Prelude: Of Lawyers, Interpreters, and Private Investigators

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Of Lawyers, Interpreters, and Private Investigators

Post by amarriner »

Samuel wrote: Yes nurse.....? I will wait for a name and then continue
Holt, sir.
Samuel wrote:Pleased to meet you Nurse Holt.
She visibly stiffens a little when Atwater's name is mentioned. The group can tell she's a little uncomfortable. Uh ... yes. Well, Dr. Hardstrom isn't allowing any visitors, but I'll fetch him for you if you'll wait just a moment. He might be in the mood to answer questions, but I wouldn't bet on it. She doesn't wait for a response, but immediately turns and strides off down a hallway.

Nurse Holt is gone for several minutes, and the group is left by themselves to wait it out in the dreadfully silent asylum. Presently, a tall man walks up to them clearly agitated. Gregory winces internally anticipating another Saltonstall-esque production here.

I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the press, Atwater is in no condition to talk to anyone. I don't want him overdoing it as it'll just make things worse! I don't see why it can't wait until later in the week when he's regained some of his strength. Hardstrom, being as tall as he is, is both literally and figuratively looking down his nose at the group.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont

Visions from stories of incarceration as told by her grandfather race through her head while standing here in Arkham Sanitarium. So strong in fact that she hardly notices the Nurse is speaking. It's Fine, their not here to hall you off, your heritage hardly shows any way. slightly startled when she realizes a conversation has started she breaks free of her dread. at least Gregory has things under control.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Samuel »

amarriner wrote:I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the press, Atwater is in no condition to talk to anyone. I don't want him overdoing it as it'll just make things worse! I don't see why it can't wait until later in the week when he's regained some of his strength. Hardstrom, being as tall as he is, is both literally and figuratively looking down his nose at the group.
Here's where a question of style I have comes up. I'd like to try to Persuade him (or Fast Talk, if you think that is the more appropriate skill). Shall I go ahead and roll, post the results and then add the dialogue, or do you want us to wait until you give the okay to roll? I have dealt with gamekeepers (and DMs, GMs, etc.) that want players to take that initiative, and others that get really annoyed if you roll without prior permission. Either way, Gregory will try his best to convince the good doctor that it is in everyone's best interest to let us see Atwater, a boy is missing, after all. I'm ready with my next part as soon as I here from you.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

I'm pretty easy-going so I don't mind if you roll yourself without prompting. Conversely, if there's an instance where you're not sure, feel free to ask if you should roll. The only other thing to mention is that I'd prefer you don't interpret the roll as it pertains to the other character/NPC involved. For example, in this example, you might make a speech for your character and post the roll link for him. Whether it succeeds or fails, I would then post how the other character/NPC reacts to it. Because even if it succeeds, it might not have the affect you expect so I'd say wait for me to interpret the roll before continuing. :) But otherwise, you're free to roll or not as is your prerogative (that goes for everyone, by the way).
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

amarriner wrote:I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the press, Atwater is in no condition to talk to anyone. I don't want him overdoing it as it'll just make things worse! I don't see why it can't wait until later in the week when he's regained some of his strength. Hardstrom, being as tall as he is, is both literally and figuratively looking down his nose at the group.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1459038/

This is gonna go over REAL well...

Dr. Hardstrom, we have a missing boy out there and Atwater is the only witness, as far as anyone knows. It is imperative that you let me speak to with him. There is a very concerned father worrying himself to death over this!

Is that dramatic enough for my miserable failure roll?
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Samuel wrote:Dr. Hardstrom, we have a missing boy out there and Atwater is the only witness, as far as anyone knows. It is imperative that you let me speak to with him. There is a very concerned father worrying himself to death over this!
Hardstrom's face reddens in rage and he takes a moment to compose himself before speaking again. His disdain is almost tangible now. I'll say it one more time, Mr. Atkinson, because it seems as though your ears are stopped with cotton ... no one is to see Mr. Atwater right now. He pauses again taking a deep breath. He seems to realize that you're not just looking for a story, but are genuinely concerned about the other missing camper and softens--if only a little. If you must, you may come back later this afternoon or early this evening and I will see how he is doing at that point. Hardstrom glowers at the group.

Samuel wrote:This is gonna go over REAL well...
Yeah and he was mad already! :)
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

amarriner wrote:If you must, you may come back later this afternoon or early this evening and I will see how he is doing at that point. Hardstrom glowers at the group.
If Ondine or Jack have anything to say or add, then Gregory won't say the following unless they fail as badly as I did. Thank you for your time, doctor, we will explore some other avenues of inquiry. I appreciate the offer and we will return later today.
Samuel wrote:This is gonna go over REAL well...
Yeah and he was mad already! :)[/quote]

With 50%, I wasn't counting on success, but a 96? If I had rolled 100, would you have had him call the orderlies and bind me up? What a roll!
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Samuel wrote:With 50%, I wasn't counting on success, but a 96? If I had rolled 100, would you have had him call the orderlies and bind me up? What a roll!
Haha yeah a roll of 100 probably would've gotten a harsher response (i.e. binding you up ;)). I didn't want him to get too out of control, though, even at 96. Glad you didn't roll 100!
Riotopsys
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by Riotopsys »

Ondine Dumont

after Hardstrom's out burst Ondine immediately leaves the building, She can be found outside on a bench visibly shaken clutching a handkerchief and drying her eyes I should not have gone in there, stupid girl following that man to that place!

Am I being over melodramatic?
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

Riotopsys wrote:Am I being over melodramatic?
Not possible, this is Cthulhu afterall..... I am going to wait until HellBlazer can get a word in before taking any additional actions. Jack has been awfully quiet so far.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Samuel wrote:
Riotopsys wrote:Am I being over melodramatic?
Not possible, this is Cthulhu afterall..... I am going to wait until HellBlazer can get a word in before taking any additional actions. Jack has been awfully quiet so far.
Agreed--no such thing as over-melodramatic! :)

I, too, will wait for Jack to post before doing anything else. It looks like the other group might be getting the Sanitarium soon, too, anyway ...

Return to “The Condemned”