Character Ideas and Generation

Two M.U. students headed out on a camping trip on the banks of the Miskatonic a few miles west of Arkham. Now one is missing, and the other is found wandering the Arkham streets and a raving madman.

Moderator: amarriner

Dondero
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: Character Ideas and Generation

Post by Dondero »

amarriner wrote: Also, if anyone truly hates their rolls we can discuss a re-roll of the character. I'd like people to keep their initial rolls if possible, but if it'll lead to a disinterest in the character then I'd prefer we work something else out.
You've obviously seen my rolls!! :lol: I'm going to keep them, I'll just have to play my guy with all kinds of afflictions. Maybe a limp.

Forgive the newb question, but is there a program we can use to populate our character sheets or do we just type them in the Dramatis Personae thread?
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

I wish to ask if I my character may amount a +3 Edu and -2 App for being 56 years of age? I guess the deaths of loved ones has had it's effect on his appearance, but not his state of mind. This is an option I found in the character creation of the 5.6 rulebook.

Furthermore, the investigators Companion(I'm looking at vol. 2 at the moment) the Manager/Coach class has a "Special: +1 to SIZ". May I take that as well? :)
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by amarriner »

Dondero wrote:You've obviously seen my rolls!! :lol: I'm going to keep them, I'll just have to play my guy with all kinds of afflictions. Maybe a limp.

Forgive the newb question, but is there a program we can use to populate our character sheets or do we just type them in the Dramatis Personae thread?
Yeah those were pretty brutal! :) Sorry about that. Before you post in the Dramatis Personae thread PM me your character so I can look him/her over or post them here. You can either type them up or sign up for the http://www.myth-weavers.com site and put them into a character sheet there. If you do that I'll probably just type them up for the DP thread anyway so either way is fine by me. Sound good?

EDIT
On second thought, I think I'd prefer not to use myth-weavers. I'd like them typed similar to how Riotopsys did if that's feasible for everyone. Pictures aren't necessary, but if you want to look for one you can use the site Riotopsys used (http://www.silentladies.com/) or something similar. The NY Public Library has a nice archive of pictures (http://www.nypl.org/digital/). I believe welsh from this site told me about it.

zielonobrody wrote:I wish to ask if I my character may amount a +3 Edu and -2 App for being 56 years of age? I guess the deaths of loved ones has had it's effect on his appearance, but not his state of mind. This is an option I found in the character creation of the 5.6 rulebook.

Furthermore, the investigators Companion(I'm looking at vol. 2 at the moment) the Manager/Coach class has a "Special: +1 to SIZ". May I take that as well? :)
Yep, those things are perfectly fine!
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

OK. one more thing. I'm thinking about a sixth sense sort of thing. When somebody is a goalkeeper, they tend to sense where the ball is going to be kicked. I'd like to incorporate that somehow, like Donald could tell where something is going to fall, and automatically jump to catch it, or it could be used negatively -> something gets thrown, he doesn't know what it is, but instinctively jumps for it(it turns out to be a rock portal and he gets sucked in never to be seen again ;) ). I guess it's not something I could use as the player, but an instinct that the Keeper could use at his discretion:)
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

zielonobrody wrote:OK. one more thing. I'm thinking about a sixth sense sort of thing. When somebody is a goalkeeper, they tend to sense where the ball is going to be kicked. I'd like to incorporate that somehow, like Donald could tell where something is going to fall, and automatically jump to catch it, or it could be used negatively -> something gets thrown, he doesn't know what it is, but instinctively jumps for it(it turns out to be a rock portal and he gets sucked in never to be seen again ;) ). I guess it's not something I could use as the player, but an instinct that the Keeper could use at his discretion:)
Sounds interesting. I'll keep it in mind! :)

We're doing really good with character creation. Two are fully complete (one just hasn't been posted to the DP thread yet) and a third is 99% complete. So once the last two players are able to get their characters in we'll be ready to get things started! Let me know if anyone has questions so far.

My initial thoughts are that the student and the coach will begin the adventure together in some fashion and the lawyer, interpreter and private investigator (HellBlazer's character) will begin together and they'll meet up shortly thereafter.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Miss Scarlet »

I'm thinking about a Psychiatrist. Albert Winston was born in Arkham and went to study in Boston then in Vienna. Now he's back to his city to lecture at Miskatonic University.

He's single. He lives in his parents' house (since they are dead now). He's 42 years old.

What do you think?
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Does he still live with his parents? :D Sorry, I just had to ask :D We'll find out soon enough :P
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

No, his parents are dead now. That's one of the reasons he came back to Arkham. He has no siblings and had to take care of the business of his family. He has only one sister, but she's married and lives in Boston.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

I was trying to make a joke :)
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Miss Scarlet wrote:I'm thinking about a Psychiatrist. Albert Winston was born in Arkham and went to study in Boston then in Vienna. Now he's back to his city to lecture at Miskatonic University.

He's single. He lives in his parents' house (since they are dead now). He's 42 years old.

What do you think?
Sounds great, Miss Scarlet. I'm not sure how best to match your character up with the rest, but that's all part of the fun of being a Keeper, right? ;) Welcome to the game! Go ahead and roll Albert up and submit his character sheet here or via PM for me to look over.

I don't think I'd start you off with Donald or Mickey, but maybe with Ondine. I had another path for her, but she might be able to start with Albert instead. We'll see how things go.

So we have 3 complete characters out of 6. Samuel and HellBlazer, do you need any help with your characters at all?
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

amarriner wrote: Samuel and HellBlazer, do you need any help with your characters at all?
No trouble anymore, now that the power is back on (Northern California, we had hurricane speed wind on Friday). I got the majority of my character worked through last night, and will PM you with the details for you to review after work today. A couple of harsh rolls, but they actually gave me some ideas for a background.

-Samuel
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Samuel wrote:
amarriner wrote: Samuel and HellBlazer, do you need any help with your characters at all?
No trouble anymore, now that the power is back on (Northern California, we had hurricane speed wind on Friday). I got the majority of my character worked through last night, and will PM you with the details for you to review after work today. A couple of harsh rolls, but they actually gave me some ideas for a background.

-Samuel
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about weather problems! That can be scary stuff. I didn't mean to rush you by any means. Just wanted to make sure you weren't stuck on something (though you probably know more than I do! :)). Anyway, thanks for letting me know.

Oh yeah, did you decide on a student or a full-out lawyer? As I mentioned either one is just fine.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

zielonobrody wrote:I was trying to make a joke :)
I got it. :) But I was trying to make sure he's not a "mom's boy", "au contraire".

Albert is ready. His character sheet is at "Dramatis personæ". He's now a teacher of Psychology at Miskatonic University. So maybe through there he knows the others...
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

amarriner wrote: Oh yeah, did you decide on a student or a full-out lawyer? As I mentioned either one is just fine.
Due to the nature of the stat rolls, I had to go with full lawyer with a background to explain the 6 and 8 I ended up with. I aged him up a little and will use a war injury to explain the low CON, etc. I'll send a fleshed out idea for your approval tonight, but I think it makes the most sense.

-Samuel
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Samuel wrote:
amarriner wrote: Oh yeah, did you decide on a student or a full-out lawyer? As I mentioned either one is just fine.
Due to the nature of the stat rolls, I had to go with full lawyer with a background to explain the 6 and 8 I ended up with. I aged him up a little and will use a war injury to explain the low CON, etc. I'll send a fleshed out idea for your approval tonight, but I think it makes the most sense.

-Samuel
Sounds perfect! That should fit in quite nicely. As I said, I wasn't trying to rush you on your character.

On another note, it seems like a lot of you got some bad rolls via InvisibleCastle. That's too bad, but I think everything will be fine. In one of my games here (Miss Scarlet's game, actually) I've twice rolled a 100 on San checks and have yet to even pass a San check yet, I believe! :)
Samuel
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Samuel »

In this game I have found that Stats and skills count for far less than good planning and roleplaying, compared to other games. A difference of 2 or 3 hit points really doesn't matter if you are dumb enough to rush into the cultists' inner sanctum in the midst of a summoning.
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

Amen to that, Samuel! My strategy will be to cower behind Donald, the hulk of a Coach, for most of the game. Hell, with a SIZ of 17, I think we could all use him as a human shield! ;)
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Dondero wrote:Amen to that, Samuel! My strategy will be to cower behind Donald, the hulk of a Coach, for most of the game. Hell, with a SIZ of 17, I think we could all use him as a human shield! ;)
Haha, I think that's a strategy a lot of CoC player use. ;)

You guys are right, though, the stats don't seem to matter as much as in other games.
Miss Scarlet
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Miss Scarlet »

When we play table games (CoC), we usually say, if some player couldn't come, he/she will become our human shield. He/she will always enter first in the rooms, or follow the passages in the first place. :)
Dondero
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Dondero »

I'll definitely make sure I post daily then! :D

Return to “The Condemned”