Chapter 2 : V-DAY! : VIKINGS!!

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Chapter 2 : V-DAY! : VIKINGS!!

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Osvald led Orm onto the top deck as his friends were dragged away to the hold by the no good bastard whore Gilliog. Captain Gunwarr followed silently watching the two venerable Vikings. Osvald stopped and looked out to sea. Captain Gunaharr looked worried and intense. Osvald then turned to Orm.

We're all going to drown Orm. How does that make you feel? Are you ready to die?
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Re: Chapter 2 : V-day : Orm

Post by Henrik »

"I've been ready to die for what feels like a man's age. Nothing would please me more than entering the afterlife." Orm answers.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Osvauld nods and holds his serious tone.

Good! I sensed that about you when you first boarded. You are not like the other Viking men. There is an air of sadness and suffering about you Orm that I cannot ignore. I hear you have no family to speak of? That you are alone. Have you heard this passage from the Sayings of Har?

Osvauld looks back into Orm's eyes with a deep and penetrating gaze. He closes his eyes and recites the Havamal from memory. It nearly brings a tear to Orm's eye. Captain Guinharr nods his approval as Osvauld speaks with the confidence and sincerety of spiritual champion.

He who has seen and suffered much,
And knows the ways of the world,
Who has traveled', can tell what spirit
Governs the men he meets,

Osvauld stops and opens his eyes, waiting for Orm to speak his mind. Osvauld looks so peaceful where as Captain Gunharr is tense and seems ready to pounce on Orm and smash his face into a thousand bloody shards.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"It is indeed words that ring true to me. I had family and happiness once, but that was taken from me." Orm is suddenly struck by a thought. It is becoming hard to remember her face. Shouldn't he be able to keep that to himself or will he lose that as well?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

That is why I singled you out Orm. You could serve your people and win a place for yourself in Valhalla. For you and for your lost loved ones.

Captain Gunharr, listening closely, approaches Osvauld and Orm and draws his sword.

The witch Melkorka has seen the Icebreaker... lay waste upon the rocks of Helluland in one of her divinations. The foul wretched creature says all who die will earn their place in Valhalla.

Captain Gunharr spits on the deck boards in disgust.

It is the ones who live that interest me.... I must stay with the ship and see to as many men as I can but the witch holds power over us all. Our King himself insisted we see to Melkorka's survival.... and to her shifty Bard. She must reach Helluland, but I fear her plans will stray from our goals Orm.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"So what do you wish for me to do? Watch the witch and her bard?" Orm is curious indeed of the witch and her follower.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Captain Gunharr steps forward and silently nods his respect for Orm. Osvauld maintains his intense concerned stare on Orm.

We are not traveling to Helluland as Conquerors Orm. What interest would our king have of this flat wasteland. There are much more prosperous lands to the south. No!.. we are explorers. Our king believes this island holds a long lost secret to the Viking people. We seek the last of Odin's runes. That which was kept from us by the very gods. Our king seeks it. He dispatched three ships with three goals to the island of Helluland. We are to make sure the first ship complete's its task and clear the way for the third ship. Melkorka has her own orders but all the Captains were told of our true mission. Of all the witches, Melkorka's the worst of em. She'll try to keep the last rune for herself. You can be sure of that Orm. The god's have pointed their finger at Osvauld... I seen it with me own eyes. I want you to stay close to Osvauld Orm. Stay close to Osvauld and keep your eye on the witch. I'm counting on both of you to see this thing through. Can I count on you lad?
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Of course. I'll do my best or die trying. But what use will our king have with the last of Odin's runes? Shouldn't such things be left for the gods?"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Captain Gunharr grins wide and slaps Orm on the back.

You were right in pickin' this one Osvauld. My sentiments exactly Orm! Odin gave us 17 of the 18 runes he found. There must have been a reason he kept the last a secret. If'n it was my choice, I'd leave the last rune on Helluland with the gods. Alas.... I'm no King and decisions like that are left to those men with thrones and crowns. But our king puts too much trust in Melkorka . If she weasels her way to the last rune and aims to keep it for herself..one of you good Viking lads has to stop her. The bard's in her favour too, but I don't get the sense he's for her if you catch my meaning.
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

Osvauld nods at Orm's response and smiles slightly. "We are bound by oaths of loyalty to obey our King and seek this rune to which man has no rightful claim. If the gods resist our attempt we will surely die trying, but at least we will die as true warriors. And who knows? Perhaps the gods will be impressed by our courage and integrity. If found, we will make sure the rune is brought to the King, and not stolen by ... anyone unworthy."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 2 : V-day : Orm and Osvauld

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Captain Gunharr nods his approval and places an arm on both Orm and Osvauld.

You shall both serve our king and the gods lads! I'm thankful Odin saw fit to send me you two pearls in a sea of coal.

The cabin door to Melkorka's private chambers swings open as Torvog (The Icebraiker's jailor) and the witch walk out onto the deck. Torvog looks frightened and runs across the deck to the hold on the other side of the ship.

Melkorka walks slowly behind him and eyes the three Vikings talking quietly in the dark. Her eyes rest on Osvauld for a time as she passes.

Osvauld... Gunharrr... Who is this one! He reaks of destiny as do so many others on this ship. Pleasant night for a secret meeting yessssss?

She walks right past the three Vikings, not waiting for a response, and cackles to herself as she continues on to the hold.

So many will die and soon. Hope you have what it takes eh boys? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

The sight of the witch chills Orm's bones. If it was up to him he would slay the witch without question. Old crones like her can never be up to any good.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Osvauld watches the witch until she reaches the hold. Whatever his thoughts, they remain hidden behind his eyes.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"So what is we to expect in Helluland? Where is the ruin located or is that for our witch to divine?" Orm asks knowing that a warrior must be properly prepared for the dangers he will meet.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Captain Gunharr nods at Orms sound thinking.

Helluland is a vast flat rocky island Orm.... It will be covered in snow this time of year. We had planned to make sleds with driftwood and use the horses to cover the ground, but now, I don't know what we will do with this grim prophecy hanging over heads like a noose.

Captain Gunharr looks around to make sure they are the only one on the deck. He moves in closer and lowers his voice to a whisper.

I'll tell you what I was told by the Viking King himself before we set out. The witch has a scramasax that has been enchanted in some way. As were two others..... They are connected somehow. I do not understand such things but we were told that the first scramasax will find Odin. The second blade will find Thor. The third will take us to Asgard. I know.... it sounds mad. All three blades can also be used to find the other. It's as I said... they are connected.

Captain Askil's witch Gelga has the first scramasax. Melkorka that old hag.... has the second. That's all I know.. Each captain was told in secret the plans of the ship sailing ahead. I assume the third scramasax will journey to Helluland on the third Viking ship. It's captain was kept secret.... even from me.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

"Hmm. It's hard to plan when we know our ship will meet disaster. Unfortunately, I think the best we can do is guard the witch so that she can find the rune." Osvauld runs a hand through his beard. "Of course, if we're guarding her, we also have the best chance to keep an eye on what she's doing."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Excellent.... I'm glad I can count on the both of you.

Captain Gunharr reaches into his belt and pulls out a piece of parchment. He hands it to Osvauld.

This is the Kings' seal. I won't be needing it for much longer. Your bretheren are bound by honor and will have to face Odin's judgement if they do not follow he who holds it. Do not let Melkorka get her hands on it.... She will use the seal to her own purposes, you can count on that! And do not use the seal unless you must. Hold to your own strengths before you turn to the gods for aid.

Captain Gunharr looks out to the sea.

Osvauld sees the odal rune inscribed into the inlaid silver. No doubt, as the gods demand it, the rune of Odin will be written in the King's own blood on the scroll itself.

Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm is silent. What is this quest they have set out upon? A grave in a land cold as Hel's embrace seems as a likely outcome of the whole affair.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Osvauld is grave as he accepts the parchment. He tucks it into his belt and grasps Gunharr's arm. "You have served the king with strength and wisdom. Your last duty will be to lead these men to Valhalla. If the gods will it, we will come join you there."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 2 : V-day : Orm and Osvauld

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Captain Gunharr smiles grimly....

If you should fall on this quest lads... may the gods speed your way to Valhalla..... I leave you to your thoughts then. Trust in each other brother Orm and brother Osvauld. Trust in no others.

Captain Gunharr walks away from the two Vikings leaving them to discuss their plans.

Return to “Chapter 2 : V-day!!”