Chapter 2 V-day! The Dorset Tribe

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2 V-day! The Dorset Tribe

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Ununiaq's wife Anhah of 13 years accepts the necklace from Yuralria and begins to weep and pray along with all of the other Dorset villagers who lost their husband or son in Ijiraat attack. They all give the Shaman the space and respect she deserves and disperse to mourn for their lost loved ones.

Sashila stares wide eyed up at Tornuaq and she too begins to cry for the dead. When the crowd disperses and Tornuaq climbs down from his speaking stone, Sashila hugs him tightly.

Oh Tornuaq…. Was it the white man… Did he bring all of this evil to our people?

The few Dorset males left behind grip their spears in hand till their knuckles turn white. It isn’t very often the Dorset people express true anger, but the Ijiraat’s villainy has sparked such an emotion in the Dorset warriors that they cry out for vengeance. Luckily Unualq had brought Thorrin into his hut for he hears shouting.

The white man did this. The ijiraat are peaceful. The white man turned them against us! Kill the white man! Send the white man away!!

Thorrin stirs and opens his eyes. He turns his head towards the shouting and then he looks back to Unulaq.

White man! Thorrin white man. Unulaq fólk hatur Thorrin. hatur white man

He says, pointing to his chest. Its obvious Thorrin has been listening and feels as Unulaq feels; that learning each other’s language is very important in this delicate time.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Andrew »

Tornuaq roars, "ENOUGH!" He then moves in front of Unalaq's igloo and draws his sword, his viking sword and brandishes it in front of the crowd. "The 'white man' has a name and it is Thoriin. He saved my life and Unalaq's life and I will cut down anyone who attempts to harm him! He is a friend and no one will lay a hand on him!" Tornuaq never thought that he would stand against the entire Dorset tribe with violence hanging in the air.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq shook his head looking sadly to the white-skinned man. He said slowly and using plenty of miming "My people," shaking his hands toward the voices "... Inuit." He nods and repeats again "Inuit." He pointed to Thorrin, "Your people ... Vikings."

"Inuit fight..." he grabbed his spear and jumped up stabbing at his shadow. "Many die..." he fell down onto his bed of furs.

"Inuit think..." he pointed to his head, "Vikings evil." He stood high and stretched his hands up looking as much like a ferocious bear as he could manage.

Sitting down beside Thorrin, "What is this?" He held his spear out before him. "Inuit ... spear."

After getting the equivalent Viking word he nods... and goes on to another word, "What is this?" He holds out a stone knife. "Inuit ... knife".

After getting the equivalent Viking word he nods and smiles. It was going well. Now for something tricky. He took the knife and scratched into the ice surface of his home, "What is this?" and etched:

He followed it with, "Inuit ..." and shrugged his shoulders, hands to the air with a look of wonder on his face.

"Unalaq think," pointing to his head, then pointed to the sign etched on the floor, "Evil. Inuit fight Evil." He stabbed the symbol with the stone knife. "Many die."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Thorrin smiles, thoroughly enjoying himself as Unulaq makes his dramitic motions. His smile quickly fades when Unualq shows Thorrin the symbol. He reaches out for his Viking sword and stabs the ground, pointing at the symbol.

Loki!

He then looks up to the sky and holds out his hands.

Loki! .....Viking drotinn!

He then closes his eyes trying to remember the word.

Chief drotinn!

Odin chief drotinn!

Thorrin then shapes his two fingers into a walking man and moves them along the floor.

Loki!

Thorrin points to his walking fingers and repeats the word.

Loki.

Thorrin then makes another set of walking fingers and calls them Vikings.

He then has the first set of fingers walk in front while the second set of fingers follows closely behind.

Vikings fylgja Loki

He then makes the same fingers and calls them Odin and calls the other walking fingers Thorrin.

Thorrin fylgja Odin.

Odin godur...

Thorrn godur...

Unulaq godur...

Loki vondur....

Thorrin stabs the ground again.

Loki evil.....
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Outside Unulaq's hut, the villagers stare blankly at Tornuaq. Most of them quickly back down. One Dorset warrior left behind speaks his mind bravely, moving to the front of the mob. His name is Arrluk and he was a great hunter before he fell ill to a powerful sickness that ravaged his lungs and weakened his heart. His will was still strong and the Dorset people respected Arrluk's words.

Then why would the Ijiraat make such a bold move against our peeople Tornuaq. Why would they kill when for so long they have kept to themselves? Tell me this?
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

"I do not know Arrluk, I am not an Ijiraat. I do know that Thoriin could have killed me or Unalaq when we were riding on the sleds though. I know that he helped fight against his own people to help me and Unalaq." Tornuaq stopped and sheathed his sword and walked over to Arrluk and placed a hand upon his shoulder. "Brother, I am not saying that all the white men are good, all I am saying is that Thoriin is good, he is a good natured man and if his skin were like ours he would fit in with us. Thoriin is godur... that is their word for good... I think, other white men may not be so."
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq nodded with a smile of understanding, slapped the man friendly on his shoulder and stood to leave the igloo. It was time to face the croud and try to ease things over.

He stepped out beside Tornuaq and nodded to his close friend then turned to face the croud as he tried to explain the answers to what everyone was wondering.

"I think I have discovered what is truly to blame for all of our strife. Thorrin has confided in me that they have at least two gods, one named Odin who is apparently the chief god, and another named Loki. He said the Vikings that were attacking us follow Loki, and Loki is evil. He says that he follows Odin, and Odin represents good. I showed the symbol we found on those creatures we fought earlier, and he said it was the sign of Loki. So the Ijiraat are not to blame... and not all Vikings we come across will be a threat to us. I must tell our Chief." He looked to the tribe members standing around and listening and implored to them, "This man Thorrin is different from us - but still a man. He is nothing to fear. He can help us... so please do not cause him harm."
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

Yuralria looks up from her spot with the newly widowed wives in startled shock. Were they talking about Loki? They really know him??

She disperses the last few necklaces, trying to not appear too hurried with her demeanor, then nods to the remaining women and crosses the village grounds to meet with Unulaq.

She speaks in hushed tones, with curious, piercing eyes, "Loki? I have met him Unulaq. What is this about him being evil?"
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"You met Loki?" Unalaq questioned looking somewhat shocked. Of course she did, she is a shaman after all. That's what they do. "It is what Thorrin told me in what little conversation we could manage. The sign on the creatures... they were Loki's sign."
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

Tornuaq nodded his head in understanding, "Loki" he repeated, and then he looked at Unalaq and asked, "So if this Loki is a god and an evil one at that, why have they come here? Does it have something to do with the mountain the knife wanted me to go to?"

Then Tornuaq went over to Sashila and held her hands. "See... Thoriin is not evil but the people who follow this Loki are, so do not worry your pretty face, we will fight back this evil and bring peace to the Dorset Village once again." Tornuaq only wish he felt as confident as his words.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

Yuralria looks hot around the collar at Unulaq's loud response...and then Tornuaq too....

She fidgets, having not meant for anyone to overhear them. "Ssssh!!!" she says forcibly to the pair of them. "What'll the villagers think if you speak too loudly of such things?!!" She whispers, then motions Unulaq into a nearby hut.

Once they are by themselves, she leans in to continue their conversation in private......
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

OOC: Seems like Tornuaq gets left out of everything here. :(

Tornuaq looks at Yuralria and shrugs, "Let the villagers hear, they'll at least know what's coming instead of being blindsided."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Arrluk nods to Tornuaq and listens carefully to Unulaq’s words. The Dorset people were all brothers and sisters when push came to shove. Disagreements were common but their fellowship would not be broken by something as unfamiliar as a white-faced stranger.

Very well then Unulaq... Tornuaq… If this white man gave help to you when you were in need, then we are all in his debt. We will let the elders decide what to do with him. I am just thankful you have returned to us safely. Please forgive us… We spoke with anger in our hearts and spears in our hands… That is not our way.

Meanwhile Maniitok speaks with Ugtuk-Luk in private.

oc- Ogtuk-Luk please check pms
oc - Sashila will speak to Tornuaq in private. You'll probably like what she has to say. :D
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq looked curiously at the upset shaman as she led the way into the nearby hut. He didn't see what the big deal was. He looked over to Tornuaq and shrugged, "The Inuit have a right to know what is responsible for the deaths of their family, do you agree?" He looked back at his igloo where Thorrin lied within, nearly helpless, and said "At least they can focus their anger on the ones that deserve it, and not kill a strange visitor just because he is different."

Once inside the hut, he looked to Yuralria expectantly awaiting what ever it was she had to say to him.

ooc: PMs?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

oc - yes pm's. wait for Andrew to post though to see how he reacts. all pm's should be addressed to the keeper and all those involved in the private conversation.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

Tornuaq smiled at Arrluk and nodded his agreement, he could understand about the anger over the deaths of the warriors, he too was angry as well but he at least had a larger understanding of what was going on, however... until Unalaq came back, Tornuaq would stand guard in front of Unalaq's igloo... just in case.

When Unalaq spoke of the people's rights and where they should direct their anger, Tornuaq slowly nodded his head in agreement as well, their people should not be kept in the dark, secrets should not be kept from them, that only bred mistrust... no wonder the shamans were view the way they were, shrouded in mystery.

As Unalaq went off Tornuaq cleared his throat loudly and caught Unalaq's eye. It was a brief exchange but from the look Tornuaq gave Unalaq, it was known that he would not move from the entrance of the igloo until Unalaq returned, had they not grown up together, hunted together and fought together, the look might have gone unnoticed or misconstrued.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq returned a quick smile and nod to Tornuaq before disappearing into the hut.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

Tornuaq looked back at Unalaq and Image
DSIGFUSS wrote:oc - Sashila will speak to Tornuaq in private. You'll probably like what she has to say. :D
Where's my PM then? Hmmm? Image
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sashila stays close to Tornuaq and watches the hut closely. Neither can hear what is being said as no voices have yet been raised. Tornuaq spots Maniitok whispering with the Shaman's protector Ogtuk-Luk. Maniitok catches his eye and approaches.

We must begin to carve spears Tornuaq. For the Vikings and for the Ijiraat. The council will take too long to make their decisions. If we are attaked again, we will not survive.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq came out of the hut that he and Yuralria had entered, looking somewhat cross. Thereafter, he made a direct path for the Chief's hut with a sense of purpose.

Return to “Chapter 2 : V-day!!”