Chapter 2 V-day! The Dorset Tribe

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2 V-day! The Dorset Tribe

Post by DSIGFUSS »

oc - for sure! hahah! so funny. It sounded good in my head. I made that one a bit more abstract I guess.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unualaq thinks about what Thorrin had just tried to explain. Confused, he stares blankly at the Viking with the other Dorset hunters. If Unualq didn’t understand what he was talking about, what hope did Maniitok and the rest have.

Unualaq then remembers Tornuaq’s sword and how it had pierced the Viking armor as if it were made of blubber and not tempered steel. He went over Thorrin’s little game of charades in his head. By jabbing at the caribou skin and not being able to penetrate it, Thorrin had attempted to describe the spear as being too dull. Then after the song… probably a spell of some sort, Thorrin pretended to make the spear pass through the caribou skin with ease. Unulaq reasoned that the rune "Fa" must be magical in it’s design and makes a man’s weapon sharp enough to ignore armor. (Similar to the Shaman’s magic that allows a hunter to carve a shape into his spear head and once blessed by the Shaman will pierce the specific hide that corresponds to the carving. (ie Viking carved spears should in theory pass through Viking armor.)

The other runes must have magical properties as well for those that can use them.

That would mean skjalarmerkja must mean armor.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Ogtuk-Luk follows Yuralria back to her hut, silent and obedient for his Shaman.

ooc – I think we lost Eskimo hermit. If you can find someone to play him that would be radical. Until them I’ll NPC him as he’s important to the plot.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq explained what he thought to the other Vikings, "I believe he says this rune of 'fa' permits his weapon to strike true the creature he attacks, even if his weapon is too dull to draw blood." He smiled amused with the Viking and nodded, slapping the man on the shoulder, "Runes ... Spells. Skjalarmerkja ... Armor." He shrugged and asked, "What rune you keep from Loki?"

The act of coming to know this foreigner and his ways was quite exciting for Unalaq. All his life, he had known only the Inuit ways, the Inuit people. Now he was experiencing a whole different culture. He wondered if they had Shaman as well, or if anyone could cast their magic? He wondered if the 'fa' rune had a time limitation, or if it lasted forever. But he had no idea of how to ask such questions.

He looked to the chief and said, "I think we should consider digging some pits around our village, cover them with thin ice. That way if any unexpected visitors come, they may fall into the pits and be trapped or crippled."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Thorrin smiles at Unulaq and chucks him on the shouder, when he finally gets the Viking’s meaning. All of the other Dorset warriors clap and cheer their excitement as they continue their carving. Chief Kalituk nods his approval and then looks to Thorrin with joyful impatience when Unulaq asks his next question.

Thorrin thinks for a second.

He dips his stick back in the fire and continues drawing runes on the caribou skin with his makeshift charcoal writing utensil. He draws seventeen in total. Naming or counting each as he draws them. Unulaq is fairly certain he is naming them as he calls the first rune Fa.

Thorrin then draws a circle in place of the final eighteenth rune. He looks into Unulaq’s eyes with a sort of sadness. He then crosses it out with an X.

Thorrin then proceeds to touch each of the other runes with his stick, repeating the word Viking after touching each rune in order.

ie. Fa… Viking

When he gets to the circle with the X, the last rune on his list… Thorrin looks gravely at Unulaq

No Viking rune… Odin’s rune….

No Viking…. No Loki…. No Thorrin….

Odin!

Thorrin then quickly draws a picture which Unulaq knows to be the shape of their island. All of the Dorset warriors seem very concerend that Thorrin would know the island so well. Chief Kalituk appears on the verge of posing a whole host of questions but Thorrin quickly continues before anyone can get a word in. He points his stick at the island.

Helluland!

He then draws a series of triangles near the south east corner of the map, easily recognizable as mountains. Every Dorset hunter knows of the vast mountain range.

Thorrin points his stick at the mountains.

Odin Rune….. Asgard!
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq blinked with sudden realization... he looked to the Chief wide-eyed and said, "The knife... it was sending him to Odin's rune... in the mountains. We have to get the knife. Loki wants the rune, and if the other Vikings get the knife first, then they will get the rune." He looked down and cast his glance to the floor as if searching for answers as he said "If Loki gets the rune, I can only guess it means disasterous ends for us all."
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by coffee demon »

Qannaq, the aged hunter, sits in his usual spot near the entrance to the igloo. He's repairing the leather traces of his dog sled with a bone awl and caribou sinew.

Qannaq listens closely, saying nothing. He watches the young warrior, Unalaq, and occasionally glances across the space to judge the chief's reactions.

This talk of magic and disaster. The omen of the wolves, this White Giant. , Qannaq thinks. Something bigger is going to happpen. May our people stay strong.

Qannaq sighs and pulls at his most recent repair, testing it's strength.

May these changes strengthen us, like sinew stitching strengthens damaged leather.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Yuralria's Hut

Ogtuk-Luk frowns at Yuralria, deeply concerned for her feelings on this matter.

I do not think they are under his control if that is your meaning Yuralria… I think they are simply blinded by all the excitement the Viking’s presence brings. His ways and his people are new to us. I believe he hopes for the best. Perhaps he is right and Thorrin is here to help. If they are wrong, however, it will spell doom for our people in the end.

Ogtuk-luk places the spearheads in front of Yuralria for her blessings.

I am here for you Shaman. Whatever course you choose I will defend with my life.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Mainiitok's Hut

Chief Kalituk is speechless. His long life as warrior has not prepared him for any if this. It seems now more than ever he is relying on the advice of others.

What do you suggest Unualaq. Your brother believes you discarded the knife. The elders will not allow us to return for it with the Shaman’s ceremony so close at hand. They will want us all present when Yuralria meets with Sedna tomorrow morning and I won’t risk sending any of my warriors tonight with the Viking threat looming so close to
our village.

Chief Kalituk stands and addresses the circle.

We cannot wait for the elders to reach a decision. In the first morning light, assemble a hunting party. Retrieve this knife, but do not hold it. Who can we trust now with this artifact if we believe our Shaman is under Loki’s spell?
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by coffee demon »

Qannaq sneaks outside for a breath of fresh air. For anyone else, it might be rude to walk out while the chief was talking, but Qannaq was older, and everyone knew this was his Way. He needed time alone. Like the snow fox, Qannaq enjoys silence.

Qannaq would follow the decisions of the tribe, and trusted the Chief.

Outside, Qannaq lets the chill autumn air cool his exposed chest. He breathes slowly through his nose, and looks out at the stars.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq looked to Thorrin and back to the chief, "I ... do not know." Since he returned, it was like everyone was expecting all the right answers from Unalaq, but he was working on gut instinct more than anything. "I could take Tornuaq... we could take extra cold weather gear and follow the path into the mountains... retrieve the rune. But I do not know what we would do after that. If the Vikings are all fighting over the rune, then we would have a bargaining chip that might strengthen our chances of survival."

He looked to the chief questioningly, then looked around to the others in the room to see what their take on the idea was.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Faroo was standing now... encouraged by Unulaq's words. Maniitok remains in his seat, his face grim and frightened.

Thorrin seems confused but smiles at Unulaq.

Chief Kalituk lifts his spear high!

We will leave in the morning after the Shaman's ceremony. It would be unwise to upset the goddess when we will need her guidance and support in this dark hour!

All the Inuit in the hut hoot and hollar for their chief, eager to begin their adventure. Maniiok doesn't share their enthusiasm. He stares at Unulaq with sad worried eyes.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

DSIGFUSS wrote:Yuralria's Hut

Ogtuk-Luk frowns at Yuralria, deeply concerned for her feelings on this matter.

I do not think they are under his control if that is your meaning Yuralria… I think they are simply blinded by all the excitement the Viking’s presence brings. His ways and his people are new to us. I believe he hopes for the best. Perhaps he is right and Thorrin is here to help. If they are wrong, however, it will spell doom for our people in the end.

Ogtuk-luk places the spearheads in front of Yuralria for her blessings.

I am here for you Shaman. Whatever course you choose I will defend with my life.
Yuralria picks up the spear head and mindlessly turns it over, appearing pensive and bothered. She furrows her brow.

"Thorrin has divided our tribe, Ogtuk-luk. He's like a knife that has split us down the centre. Do you believe it to be true as well?" Her eyes flicker as she says it, with self-doubt and worry. Why am I feeling this way? Why do I second guess myself all of a sudden?

After a moment she takes the three spear heads and places them in her bowl of elk's blood. She seems bitter, holding her mouth in a set way that seems to portray a certain distaste for the way things are going. She slowly stirs the mixture with a twig, and muses. "Tell me Ogtuk-luk. What were they speaking about while carving spears?"

Ogtuk-luk knew that he was Yuralria's other eyes and ears. She quite often poked him for information when she felt unsure of the tribes feelings. Ogtuk-luk was always quiet enough that they would sometimes forget he was present, and speak recklessly in front of him. It proved to be helpful in times such as today.
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq nodded to Chief Kalituk, "As you wish." He stepped closer to Thorrin and grabbed up a knife. Pointing to the knife, he says, "Knife." He pointed to Thorrin and said, "Your knife..." and he held the knife outward before him, acting like the knife was pulling him around. He put his right hand over his eyes as if blocking them from the glare of the sun while peering in a distance, then said "Odin's Rune?"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Thorrin shakes his head.

Tornuaq’s knife. Thorrin no knife! No knife! Tornuaq’s knife.

Thorrin throws his hands up in the air with frustration. He falls on his back and covers his face. He obviously has a lot to say on the subject of the knife but doesn’t know how to properly express himself.

Thorrin finally sits up and takes a deep breath.

He goes back to his caribou skin with a map of the island. He draws three shapes and names them. He then points to each shape and says Vikings. Vikings. Vikings! The ships are spaced out in equal distances from the island.

Thorrin points to the 1st shape and says

Knife… Thorrin… Vikings…

He then points to the mountain range near to the Dorset village.

Thorrin points to the second shape and says

Knife…. Melkorka… Vikings…

He then points to a group of mountains north of the village.

Finally Thorrin points to the 3rd shape furthest from the island and says

Chief… Vikings… Brunhilde!

After saying the word BrunhildeThorrin makes a series of hand gestures. Brunhilde is obviously someone or something important and possibly mystical in nature.

Thorrin shakes his head grimly at Unulaq hoping he got through…
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

"Tornuaq's knife?" Unalaq questioned. He wasn't sure about much of anything Thorrin was telling him except that their comfy home was being invaded by masses of Vikings.

Unalaq pointed at the second ship and asked "Melkorka, evil?"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Thorrin looks at Unulaq and squints his eyes trying to remember the meaning of Unulaq’s words. He then points top the second shape, which Unulaq has figured to be a ship of some sort (Even though the Eskimo have no real word for ship) - Big canoe. (haha)

He then starts listing off names.

Melkorka, Evil …. Loki, evil…. Odin… No evil…. Alrik… No evil.. Alrik…. Thorrin friend… Chief Gunharr… no evil. Vikings… No evil.

He then smiles and pats Unualq on the back happy they are finally getting somewhere. He smiles at the other Eskimos who are clearly glad Unulaq is on top of this.

Thorrin points to the first boat and circles it again, repeating the word Loki before listing off another series of names.

Thorrin… no evil. Chief Lar-gut… evil Sigelda…. evil Vikings…. evil.

Finally Thorrin points out the last shape or ship as Unulaq sees it.

Brunhilde…. Chief Chief ….. evil…. no evil…

Thorrin shrugs his shoulders suggesting he doesn’t know.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

Unalaq sighed and rubbed his forehead. "I am weary from this long day, I think. Maybe I should try to get some sleep, and then get together some cold-weather gear for the journey ahead." He smiled and clasped Thorrin's arms nodding appreciatively, then bid good night to the others.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Imp, Eskimo Hermit and Yuralria Please go to new thread:

Sedna's Comb

Return to “Chapter 2 : V-day!!”