Chapter 2 : V-day Unulaq and Tornuaq

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2 : V-day Unulaq and Tornuaq

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unulaq comes crashing down on the second Viking from his hiding place. His spear tip is deflected on the shiny shirty the Viking wears. Some of his spear finds the flesh of his neck as it bounces off the armor, however, and the Viking cries out in pain. The Torch bearing Viking continues on towards the sled as his companion's cry was drowned out by the sound of Unualq's six mad barking sled dogs. The Viking drops his bow and draws a long dagger to face Unulaq.

o.c. - Viking armor deflects 5 damage so he takes 4 damage from Unulaq's surprise attack. (Unless you know something about surprise attacks that I don't that would have let you do additional damage)

The Viking facing Tornuaq winds his arm back and thrusts his sword into Tornuaq's gut. His sword refuses to pass through Tornuaq' s hide and feels as though the Viking were simply poking him with a dull piece of driftwood. The blade should have pierced his hide with very little effort based on the sharp point of the knife Tornuaq had held in his hands just a short time ago. Now, even in the midst of the battle, the knife pops into Tornuaq's thoughts. Tornuaq pushes them out and brings his own bone sword down on the Viking. Again, Tornuaq's bone sword pierces through the metal armor as if it were made of wool. His bone sword cuts deep into the Vikings chest and he falls to the ground coughing and spitting up blood.

Meanwhile, the Viking atop Thorrin, pushes his hand deep into Thorrin's wound and Thorrin screams. The Viking begins to pat down Thorrin, searching for something hidden beneath his clothes.

Hvar er thad?

oc - IMP (init (1d10), strike (1d100), parry (1d100), damage)
Oc- Andrew (init 1d10, strike 1d100, parry 1d100, damage) also guys... if you don't roll a parry roll, I'll assume you don't want to parry. It's a free attack action, so you can attack and parry in the same turn. I also forgot about your shield... Your shield has an even less chance to break 10% when struck by a metal weapon.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by Andrew »

OOC: Yes! First viking kill! Then again I'm also defending a viking.

I haven't been using parry because I don't know how to use it. I don't see 'parry' or anything but didge on the character sheet.

Initiative (Dex:12) (1d10=5)
Attack (Sword 70%) (1d100=70)
Damage (1d6+1=7)
Parry (?%) (1d100=4)

Well I'm not sure what I needed to roll for a parry but I'm sure a 4 does the trick. :)

Tornuaq let out a war cry as he spun around and saw the other viking on Thorrin. He knew what he was looking for. "It was thrown to Sedna you son of a Qallupilluk!" Tornuaq shouted as he attacked.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc: Initiative;Attack (70%);Parry;Damage (1d10=7, 1d100=65, 1d100=9, 1d6+1+1d4=5)

Maybe the parry is just added to the attack roll of your defender, thereby making his result higher than it would be normally? I've never used it before either... but far be it from me to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Unulaq growled at the Viking that faced off with him. He considered saying something, but knew the Viking wouldn't understand it. He ducked and weaved to avoid the dagger, meanwhile thrusting his spear toward the man's mid-section... although it was heavily armored at that point.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

o.c. - Sorry guys.. should have explained Parry more. I was just learning about it myself.

Mr. Hand explained the parry rule very well in the OC- thread : Game Questions.

Basically I'm having you do all of your rolls to save time. But Mr. handy was right. When you roll to parry (if you want to ) your base % chance is equal to your weapon skill that you used to parry. Or Shield% in Tornuaq's case. Also if fighting more than one opponent you must specify which enemy you wish to parry. So far thaqt hasn't come up yet but it might for Unulaq soon. heheh!
:twisted:
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

OOC: Hey no problem, just rolling with the punches. I read the post Mr. Handy threw in so I think I understand the parry rule. Now I do have a question right up your alley, where is Tornuaq in comparison to Unulaq? Helping Thorrin is all right and all but Tornuaq would be more concerned about Unulaq.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unulaq is a good 3 rounds of running ahead of Tornuaq.
Maybe 2 if Tornuaq really books it.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

OOC: Did Tornuaq kill that viking on Thorrin then? I'm not sure what happened yet.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Viking turns to face Unulaq but the Dorset warrior is too quick. Unulaq thrusts his spear and hits the Viking square in the chest. The spear just bounces off the Viking's armor leaving Unulaq exposed for a return blow. The Viking brings his long scrimsax down on Unulaq but Unulaq manages to get his spear up to parry the blow.

Meanwhile Tornuaq charges the viking atop Thorrin, still incapacitated with pain. He thrusts his sword into his back and the bone weapon punctures the Vikings armor again with very little resistance. The Viking rolls off Thorrin and swings wildly at Thorin's neck with his sword. Thorrin just gets his own sword up in time to stop his head from rolling onto the snowy ground. Thorrin still in excrutiating pain, reaches for his spear and stabs for the Viking, missing pathetically.

oc - You are lucky you rolled a critical parry there Tornuaq. In Helluland, the only thing that can parry a critical hit is a critical parry. Lucky you rolled that 4 man...

oc - Unulaq and Tornuaq roll 1d100 to see if your weapon breaks.

oc - Next round.. Next set of rolls and actions. Please make weapon breaking rolls first. Thanks...
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

OOC: No kidding! I guess Sedna doesn't want Tornuaq dead yet!

Weapon Breakage 20% (1d100=32)
Initiative (Dex:12) (1d10=4)
Attack (Sword 70%) (1d100=12)
Damage (1d6+1=4)
Parry (70%) (1d100=22)

Tornuaq parried the blow from the viking assaulting Thorrin, his eyes grew wide as he realized how close he was to loosing his head. He then struck with grim determination to kill the bastard hurting Thorrin.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc: Um, not sure what I should be rolling against for weapon breakage. Stone spear.

Weapon Breakage (?%) (1d100=34)

Spear Attack (60%); Damage; Parry; Breakage (1d100=95, 1d6+1+1d4=10, 1d100=6, 1d100=56)

Unalaq is surprised by the strength of the man when their weapons collide. He takes a step back from the force and his attack is off.

ooc: Please take whichever is appropriate.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

oc- unless specified. Weapon breaking for bone weapons is 20%. weapon breakage % is all listed in the Eskimo and Viking Equipment thread...
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unulaq's spear holds up to the Viking's long kniffe. Unulaq is forced back up the snowy hill as the Viking continues to slash at him. No blows find their mark as the two warriors battle for position in a flurry of offensive and defensive movements. Unulaq fumbles with his spear as he reaches the crest of the hill. He sees the other Viking charging up the hill carrying the largest most beautiful axe Unulaq has ever seen.

O.C. - Unulaq roll luck. (or drop spear (due to 95 attack roll))

Just a hundred meters away, Tornuaq squares off with his own Viking dance partner. The Viking lunges forward at Tornuaq and flies past him, right onto Thorrin's spear. His spear pierces the armour with ease, impaling the Viking. Choking on wood, bone and blood, the Viking reaches for his horn at his side. Still impaled by Thorrin's spear, he puts the horm up to his lips and sounds out his distress call for less than half a second before Tornuaq beheads him.

Thorrin collapses to the ground and clutches his side.

O.C - Tornuaq San check 1/1d6 for killing two men.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

Sanity 68% (1d100=54)

Tornuaq beheading the viking smiles wickedly and picks up the Viking's sword. Then with his own bone sword in hand and the Viking's shiny sword, Tornuaq runs as fast has the winds will let him to Unalaq's side. "I'm coming brother! Hold on!" Tornuaq shouts as he runs he switches the swords so that the new shiny sword is in his primary hand.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc: Don't know if you seen it, but Mr. Handy says a critical failure on my spear is at 96%... so i shouldn't risk dropping it. However... just incase:
Luck (if needed) (1d100=3)

In a ditch effort to keep the battle even, Unalaq throws his spear at the Viking with the axe charging up the hill hoping to stop him in his tracks, then draws out his huge bone club to parry the attacks from the dagger-bearing Viking.

Spear attack (70%); damage; parry; breakage (1d100=31, 1d6+1+1d4=4, 1d100=53, 1d100=65)

ooc: Four damage, looks like I forgot to take the protective caps off my spear before fighting.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

ooc - Sorry Imp! haha! I was just being a dick cuz you rolled so close. you're right though... this will probably be tough enough without you having to worry about close rolls failing too... Backto the action yo.

Tornuaq sees his brother struggling with a Viking atop a small snowy hill. The Viking swings his long dagger clumsily at Unualq and loses his footing. He slides just a few feet down the hill and looks to his left. He smiles and calls out to his large Viking partner with the giant shiny axe.

Braega! Drepa hann!

Unulaq takes his chance and hurls his spear at the giant Viking. The spear hits him straight in the chest but simply staggers him for a moment as he makes his climb up the hill. Unulaq quickly slides off his whale bone club from around his shoulder and readies himself for the Viking's charge. The two warriors clash and the sound of steel on solid bone echoes across the snowy plains. Both men can feel eyes on them from above and all around and look past the other to see if any other opponents lie in wait. There, of coarse is noone, but both men soon come to realize the eyes of the gods are watching this fight (Both Viking and Inuit) and they are eager to discover the victor.

ooc- He was slashing down on you, but you parried. please roll to see if your bone club breaks. 10% chance. Also tell me what you do. (rolls or other)

ooc- Tornuaq make a DEX-5 roll to see if you can make it there in two rounds instead of 3 as you run through the snow.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

OOC: Hells Yes! Dex x5=60% (1d100=18)

Tornuaq, with grim determination at seeing two of these people attack his brother yells out hoping to distract them and either give Unalaq a chance for a killing blow or a chance to better defend himself. Tornuaq hoped as well but didn't expect it, for one to charge him and even up the odds.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

DSIGFUSS wrote:ooc- He was slashing down on you, but you parried. please roll to see if your bone club breaks. 10% chance. Also tell me what you do. (rolls or other)
ooc: First of all, how can I parry an attack that was never delivered? The Parry was conditional ... if it was needed, use it. I did that to speed things up, not just because I like smashing my clubs against hard objects to get my rocks off. Since he didn't attack, there was nothing to parry... so how could my club break?
Secondly, I also included the breakage roll in my last post - also conditional.

Club Attack; Damage; Parry; Breakage (1d100=31, 1d8+1+1d4=7, 1d100=6, 1d100=76)

Unalaq stepped in such a way as to put the two Vikings in a line on one side of him... that way, if the other Viking wielding the long dagger wanted to attack, he'd have to get around his brother and further up the hill. As he did so, he brought his club in toward the belly of the Viking with the axe, and swiftly brought the bone club back to parry an attack from the axe. He didn't relish the thought of losing an arm in this battle.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Unulaq quickly slides off his whale bone club from around his shoulder and readies himself for the Viking's charge. The two warriors clash and the sound of steel on solid bone echoes across the snowy plains.
oc- The viking with the axe did hit you. I just described it with some color yo! The clash was the axe weilding Viking's strike and Unulaq's parry coming together in a glorious narrative. 8-)

oc - Unulaq hits btw(next round). I just need to talk to Handy about blunt damage and armor. I think the metal armour should protect less against a club. If you got the cthulhu rules for this let me know but Handy usually help me out pretty quick. Thanks Handy if you're reading this.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ImpInTraining »

ooc: Sorry, I misread something last time, thought you said he wasn't slashing at me... ??? My bad. Anyway, tell me this, since two weapons are colliding, shouldn't both weapons risk breaking during the parry? Far as armor goes, my book doesn't say anything about different weapon styles vs. armor types... but it's only 5th edition.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

oc - I just got a pm from Handy and until we find the actual rule in the book. Chainmail armor which is the best armor you'll se eon these guys deflects 5 vs slashing weapons such as swords/axes etc.... 4 vs bludgeoning weapons such as clubs maces and hammers..... and 3 vs piercing weapons such as spears and arrows. Until somebody corrects me on this, I'm sticking to it. Anybody feel free though to drop me a pm and set me straight.

oc- also Imp. Only your weapon has a chance of breaking cuz it's made out of wood and bone material and not folded steel. Gotta get a Shaman to enchant that suckah up yo!

Return to “Chapter 2 : V-day!!”