Page 1 of 1

Chapter 2 : V-day Unulaq and Tornuaq

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:19 am
by DSIGFUSS

Tornuaq slept soundly next to the pale faced stranger as Unulaq stood guard. The whales and the Ijiirat were gone but both brothers could still smell danger in the air.

Unulaq could feel the shiny blade in his ijirat skin pulse with life as he stared at the fire. The fire took his mind off the knife but he had been keeping it safe from his brother's greedy eyes for well over two hours now and he could feel the blade getting to him. Not enough to overtake his will, like Unulaq was sure it had taken Tornuaq but he could feel it was more than a tool. It had a presence and possibly even a mind.

Tornuaq had not slept a wink. He pretended to sleep when his brother looked in his direction. Sleep was important out in the open snow. A tired hunter was a careless hunter and a careless hunter was as good as dead out here. Tornuaq could not stop thinking about the blade and the mountains. His urge to charge headstrong into the mountains had left him, but Tornuaq was angered to his very core that his brother, whom he loved so dearly, could keep something so important from him. He did not yet need the knife, but Tornuaq knew he would have to have it soon.

Maniitok had been gone now for six hours and should be arriving at any moment with many of his people if everything had gone to plan. Now shivering from the cold and the eerie sort of omnipresence of the knife, Unulaq looks over at his brother and finds him staring right at him from across the fire.

Re: Chapter 2 : V-day

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:01 am
by ImpInTraining
"Tornuaq, you are awake," Unulaq states the obvious. "I was thinking about the shiny stone knife. I think it is more than that, like it has a life of its own." He looked down at the fire and edged a little closer to keep the chills off. "I wonder if it speaks in another language."

Re: Chapter 2 : V-day

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:59 pm
by Andrew
"I already knew that Unulaq, you need to throw the knife aside, it is dangerous, throw it out to Sedna for only she could harness the power of the knife." Tornuaq could barely believe his words. He wanted Unulaq to discard the knife so he could take it back without force but throwing it to Sedna? Where had that come from? Could a knife, no matter what life it held inside it really make him turn against his brother? He loved Unulaq and maybe they'd come to blows over a woman or something more important but he could never harm him over a knife... impossible.

Re: Chapter 2 : V-day Unulaq and Tornuaq

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:38 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq shook his head, "No. If this man turns out to be violent" he motioned to the sleeping Viking, "I will give it to him... and he can be driven to the mountains."

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:12 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq's expression turned to anger, "You wanted that knife for yourself! You tricked me into thinking that it was evil when you wanted it all to yourself. Hand me the knife Unulaq, I love you, you are my brother and it angers me to the core you would trick me so you could have it. Give me the knife Unulaq or I will take it by force..." Tornuaq's eyes grew wide and he placed his hands over his mouth in disbelief. In a low soft tone he said, "I'm sorry brother, cast that thing away!"

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:01 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq tilted his head and remembered a story he was told when he was young, about a little man who found a magic whale's bone, and how it transformed him into a loathesome beast... he called it 'his precioussss.' He nodded, "Yes... I think it is best to cast it away. I will just take a little walk down to the water's edge. Let Sedna drive it to the bottom of the ocean." He stood and turned from the fire, "Watch the Viking. I'll be back soon."

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:02 am
by Andrew
OOC: Nice! Give me my precioussss! Now you stupid Eskimo!

Tornuaq eyed him suspiciously, "How will I know if you have really thrown it to Sedna or if you just hid it? How can I..." Tornuaq stopped in mid-sentence, it was his brother, of course he could trust him. They may have had their feuds and petty competitions but when it came down to it, Unulaq would never do something to harm him or let something stay around that would do so.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:21 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq walks away from the fire along the shoreline. When he is certain Tornuaq can no longer see him, Unulaq stops and readies himself to throw the knife in the water.

[o.c.- pm me and tell me what you do with the knife please. please keep it to yourself what you did. I know you two are thick as thieves. haha!]

Tornuaq watches his brother walk away from the fire and a great sadness takes him. The pale faced man seems to share Tornuaq's sentiments as he groans. He mutters something in his own tongue and then continues to moan as if he were in considerable pain. The dagger's hold on Tornuaq is not as strong as Unlualaq takes it further away from him. Still it would have been nice to hold it one last time. [o.c - my precious]

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:23 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq heads down to the water's edge, looking at the angry seas. He kneels down and recovers the tainted package from his boot, stands up, and throws it as far as he can throw it into the water.

With the task done, he heads back to Tornuaq and the Viking. "That knife will bother you no longer, brother."

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:58 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiled and said, "When you put distance between me and the knife I could feel my struggle ebb away even, it was not so strong. Brother, can you ever forgive me for the way I acted? I was not myself but I was weak when I should have been strong, I apologize for my words and my weakness."

He stoked the fire a bit and added in a low tone, "Still... I wonder what was so urgent in those mountains."

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:44 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq looked off toward the mountains and said, "Perhaps one day when the winds are not so cold, we will retrieve the curse and seek out its mysteries." He smiled at Tornuaq and shook his head, "I know it was not you... for the way you behaved was so ... well, it was not you speaking. The knife has a curse upon it. And now we know why this Viking came to be on our beach."

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:20 pm
by Andrew
"Agreed, he was searching for the mountains. I wonder though why our people attacked him, what could he have done to provoke them to attack?" Tornuaq wondered aloud, he took out his old knife and began to inspect it's quality and sharpness, he half heartily smiled and added, "Still though, it was a rather nice knife."

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:13 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq nodded. "Perhaps this stranger has friends who would like to trade - their weapons for our hunted kills." He looked again at the sleeping stranger and lifted an eyebrow, "I do not know why he was attacked by our cousins. We will find out eventually."

He leaned back and pulled his clothes tighter around his exposed face saying "I think I will nap for a little while. Can you stand watch?"

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:08 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq stood and grabbed his spear and looked at the sea, "Yes of course, get some rest, it has been one interesting day." Tornuaq took a few paces towards the water but stopped, the sea had done so many strange things today that Tornuaq wondered what was next.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:11 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq can't help but think of the knife as Unulaq sleeps. It's not near as powerful as when it was his, but the shiny blade still held his thoughts.

[o.c. You feel like a smoker who has been smoking for years and then gives up smoking. Day 1 all you can do is think about smoking even though you know you don't want a cigarette. Every 5 minutes the knife pops into your head]

Another hour passes and both Unulaq and Tornuaq are startled to attention when the pale faced stranger suddenly sits up and screams. His eyes wide and filled with terror as he looks upon Tornuaq and Unulaq from across the fire. Both brothers can see the delerium etched in the white man's eyes. Who knows what the ghost man sees this far into his fever.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:44 pm
by Andrew
DSIGFUSS wrote:[o.c. You feel like a smoker who has been smoking for years and then gives up smoking. Day 1 all you can do is think about smoking even though you know you don't want a cigarette. Every 5 minutes the knife pops into your head]
OOC: I know EXACTLY what that's like. Although I still smoke, hopefully Tornuaq has a stronger willpower than I do.

Sitting next to Unulaq and staring at the pale stranger, Tornuaq just sits there wondering what horrors is running through his mind, Tornuaq then pulls out a cup and packs it with snow and holds it next to the fire to melt. Once it's water he tries to offer it to the man.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:55 pm
by ImpInTraining
"How long does it take them to get here?" Unulaq asked, tiring of babysitting this Viking. "I could have come and went and come back again by now." Unulaq touched the back of his hand to the Viking's forehead to feel the fever. "This man needs help that we cannot give. I think we should try to get him back to the sleds and make our way home."

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:52 pm
by Andrew
"I agree, it's taking way to long, I wonder if something happened to Mannitok or if the elders are in disbelief." Tornuaq stated. He stood and looked at the man to where their sleds were, "What is the best way you think of taking him? His screaming will frighten the dogs."

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:58 am
by ImpInTraining
"We could bind and gag him. In fact, that is probably a good idea so he does not throw himself out of the sled while we are riding," Unulaq stated. "I have some extra reins for the dogs at the sled, just incase some break. Should be strong enough to hold his hands and feet together."

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:26 am
by Andrew
"Agreed." Tornuaq simply stated as he stood once again.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:31 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: did the guy scream, then fall back asleep, or is he still freaking out?

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:52 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The pale faced stranger stares blankly at Tornuaq and Unulaq as they discuss their plans.

He reaches for his pocket and is even more alarmed when he discovers his knife is missing. He pats himself all over his body searching for it but quickly gives up. It's no stretch of the imagination that his captors would have disarmed him.

He looks up at Tornuaq and Unulaq and half smiles accepting the water from Tornuaq graciously. He greedily slurps it down and then makes eating motions with his hands.

Faida! Faida!

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:55 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiles and begins looking in his pack for rations.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:57 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq finds some walrus meat that he remembered to be quite tastey and the Viking wolfs it down quickly. He smiles back at Tornuaq and then does the same for Unulaq.

Finnad bragad af godur! Godur! Godur! Ha Ha Ha!

He finishes the walrus that Tornuaq gave him and uses the drinking cup to scoop up some snow as Tornuaq had done. He melts it over the fire and takes a sip.

Mmmmmm! Godur!

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:02 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiles broadly at the man and repeats, "Godur!" He looks sideways at Unulaq and whispers out of the corner of his mouth, 'Now what do we do with him?' He then begins to see if there is anything else that the man can eat.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:54 pm
by ImpInTraining
"He seems capable enough to travel. Still has a fever, but at least he is awake. As long as he stays this way, we should not need to tie him." He kneels to the Viking and says as he pats himself on the chest, "Unulaq." He motions to Tornuaq and says, "Tornuaq." Then he pats the Viking on the chest with a questioning look as he asks, "Viking?" For all Unulaq knew, it was the man's name.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:18 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiled and repeated his name as he patted his chest. He then held his arms out to help the man stand he was going to try and help the man to the sleds.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:41 am
by DSIGFUSS
The Viking reaches a hand out to the brothers. He grabs hold of Unulaq's hand and shakes it.

Thorrin!

He smiles at Tornuaq and repeats their own names back to them, with only a bit of trouble using his own native tongue.

Un-lak Tor-nak! Thorrin! Godur! Godur! Ha Ha Ha!

His mood suddenly shifts as he looks off into the distance. Thorrin throws his mug of water onto the flames and throws the coat Unulaq had offered him onto the fire, smothering it almost instantaneously. A giant cloud of smoke billows under the burning fur coat and the three men begin to choke on it.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:48 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq quickly moves away from the smoke but stays close to his brother and looks out to where Thorrin is looking.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:02 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq sees several torches coming from the south along the inlet. Four in total. One torch seems to be held much higher than the others and a great black shadow moves beneath it, as if the bearer were riding some great beast of burden.

Thorrin grabs Unulaq's shoulder and tugs at it.

Struka! Struka! Their vilja drepa Thu!

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:22 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq looked at Unulaq and whispered, 'Now would be a very good time to be able to speak the same language as Thorrin.' A dread like Tornuaq had not known began to creep into his bones as he gripped his spear tighter, suddenly the mountains sounded like a very good idea.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:26 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq didn't like the looks of things. He nodded to Thorrin and said to Tornuaq "Take him to the sleds, now." He points in the direction of the dog sleds and says to Thorrin, "Go!" He scoops up handsful of snow to put out the rest of the fire buring it quick, and then rushes behind the other men, scooping up his spear in the process.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:15 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq grabbed Thorrin by the shoulder and made his way as quickly as he could to his sled.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:12 am
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin tenses up when Tornuaq grabs his arm. He's tight like a tiger. He resists at first put quickly understands Tornuaq's intent. He presses his hand to his wounded gut and runs with Tornuaq as fast as he's able.

The torches don't seem to pick up speed as Unulaq puts out the rest of the fire. Perhaps they didn't see the fire. And perhaps they can't hear the sled dogs barking furiously in the wind. Unulaq sure can.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:16 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiles at Thorrin understanding the man's hesitation and tries his best to make the trip to the dogs as easy as possible. Tornuaq remembered about two summers ago when he split his leg open to the bone while hunting. If it hadn't been for Unulaq and Mannitok helping him, he didn't know if he'd ever be able to walk, let alone hunt again.

Tornuaq helped Thorrin on his sled and helped to prepare Unulaq's so they both of them could leave together.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:32 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq arrives to a barking pack of sled dogs. He can see two torches moving quickly towards him from the west. They're still a few hundred meters away but they are gaining ground quickly.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:10 am
by ImpInTraining
Once the fire is out, Unulaq starts sprinting as fast as he can for the sled dogs, keeping low to try to avoid detection from those travelling up from the south. He wonders who they might be... more Vikings perhaps? And if so, why is Thorrin avoiding them?

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:55 am
by Andrew
When Unulaq gets close, Tornuaq points out the lights from the west. "I somehow think we're in trouble here, we need to get home... fast."

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:01 am
by ImpInTraining
"Once we get on the ice, we will outdistance them easily," Unulaq says hopping on his dog sled after seeing that Tornuaq had gotten it ready for him. "Thanks for the help with the dogs. Everyone ready?"

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:51 am
by Andrew
"Yes brother, of course. I wanted to make sure we got out of here as quickly as possible. Where to, home I assume?" Tornuaq asked. He didn't like this situation, this day had gone from strange to scary quickly and it only seemed as if it was getting worse.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:59 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq nodded, "Home sounds good... but let us start by heading due west, and we will adjust later once we hit ice. That way, if they do try to follow, they will go the wrong way." As he took his reigns in hand he said, "We'll stop half way and Thorrin can ride on my sled, giving your dogs a break from the extra weight."

Unulaq snapped the reigns and called out the command for the dogs to start running. He started running as well pushing from behind, allowing the sled to pick up speed quickly until he was winded, and jumped on the sled to rest up some.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:48 am
by DSIGFUSS
The dogs continue barking as Tornuaq and Unulaq strap Thorrin down to the sled. To make room for the thin Norseman, they had to toss some of their supplies but nothing to important; just some blankets and food. Nothing they would need for the four hour sled ride home. The two Viking torches are closing the gap quickly, now only 100 m away. The dogs bark furiously as The brothers get their dogs back under control in the pitch black arctic afternoon.

{O.C. Ride Dog Sled check and a Listen check please.]

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:15 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Ride Dog Sled (45%); Listen (45%) (1d100=23, 1d100=36)

Unalaq (I've been spelling it wrong ... hehe) continues to drive his dog sled in the darkness with little complications.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:05 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Drive Dog Sled 45% (1d100=97) and Listen 55% (1d100=78) I hate that damn site, I never make a roll on there.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:06 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq's dog's are going ballistic. With all the barking and the yelping, Tornuaq just can't get his calls through. He can't get the dogs under control. With the approaching Viking torches getting closer and Thorrin bleeding profusely, the sled dogs just won't let up. Unulaq on the other hand has no problem starting his sled and tears off ahead of his brother.

Tornuaq: Luck check

pm coming your way Unulaq.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:32 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Luck 60% (1d100=35)

Tornuaq knew he had to keep the dogs moving in a forward direction and yelled at the top of his lungs the command for them to be silent.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:38 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq looks over his shoulder and notices the problem that Tornuaq is having. He commands his dogs to turn wide to the right. His intent is to hopefully draw half of the approaching party into following him. If both the men with the torches continue to close down on Tornuaq's dog sled, then Unalaq will circle back to reunite with Tornuaq.

If they split up, he will continue to lead the trailing individual off through the snow and ice and away from Tornuaq's concern.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:40 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq begins to edge his dogs forward. Luckliy the dogs are trained to follow the lead sled and since Unulaq's sled sped away without a hitch, Tornuaq's dogs quickly followed suit. His sled lurches forward as the dogs begin to run. Tornuaq fails to notice that one of his dogs had fallen dead and was still attatched to the sled line. He hears a terrible yelp as one of his healthy dogs trips over the dragging corpse and brings one whole side of the team down to the ground with him. The sled continues forward and runs over one of the fallen dogs. Tornuaq hears a loud cracking noise as the sled runs over the rear dog's leg.

Sled dog check: Tornuaq

Now even closer (75m) the two torches separate. One torch follows after Unulaq and the other continues towards Tornuaq and Thorin and the growing dog sled crash.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:26 am
by ImpInTraining
After a short distance, Unalaq looked back and smiled knowing that he succeeded at splitting up the two followers. He headed toward a small hill and rode around it then drew his dogs to a halt. He ran back to the side of the hill, spear in hand, and waited for the torch-bearing person to come about, hoping to catch him by surprise.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:17 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Dog Sled Driving 45% (1d100=55) Yes! So glad I failed! Sarcasm of course. Image Image

Tornuaq tried everything he knew but nothing was working. Having a dead dog really hurt the others and now that other dogs were injured it was impossible. He pulled the reigns and shouted for them to stop, he knew he couldn't go on like this, it seemed like it was time to confront these torch bearers.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:29 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq can't get his sled under control and it tips over crushing his wounded dog under its weight. The sled comes to a sliding stop and Tornuaq jumps clear. Thorrin begins to undo his straps and calls out to Tornuaq!

Tornaq! Hjalpa!

The torch closing in on Tornuaq moves even closer (25m) and Tornuaq can see two men wearing shiny shirts charging his overturned sled. Each grizzly bearded man holds a bright long shiny blade that sparkles in the light of the torch. They both yell their battle cries as Tornuaq readies himself.

Unulaq leads the second torch away from Tornuaq and he feels something fly, whizzing past his head. An arrow by the sound of it.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:05 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq quickly spins around and uses his spear tip to cut the straps on Thorrin. He knew that there was no way for him to fix this before these men in the shiny shirts got to them, instead he began to cut the surviving dogs loose, hopefully they would be useful in helping him fight.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:14 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq can hear the Viking's boots crunch against the cold hardened snow as Tornuaq manages to free two of his sled dogs. Thorrin howls in pain as he raises himself to his feet. To Tornuaq's surprise the red haired Viking begins to sing in the most soft and handsome voice he had ever heard. It was truly beautiful.

Thessir songmadur EG vita , hver ne Thad ad vera sonur af mannskapur ne drottning í a konungur domsalur vita.

A Thridi EG vita : ef sar Thorf oxl koma af a stafa til dvol minn foes ; hveaer AG syngja Thessi songur , hver munu sljor Theirra skylmingamadur , ne Theirra vopn ne tunnustafur geta sar.

thurisaz thurisaz thurisaz
th th th th th th th th th
thur thar thur ther thor
thu tha thu the tho
th th th th th th th th th

Tornuaq could not help but turn to watch Thorrin, despite the two brutish looking viking soldiers headed his way. Thorrin stood standing now, one arm leaning on one of Tornuaq's extra spears, the other holding his still bleeding gut.

Then the Vikings were on them.

ooc- Tornuaq : roll Initiative (1d10 +DEX), Strike, Parry or (Dodge in place of Strike, Parry), Damage and add a brief description of your intentions. (That's 4 rolls.)

ooc -Unulaq : You are not yet in combat. arrows are being shot in your direction so a dodge roll could be made. Also give me a brief description of where you are now headed and your plans.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:13 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: I thought there were just two people following us, and one turned off to chase me?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how are they firing arrows if they're holding a torch at the same time?

And I already mentioned my intents in my last post... but I will reitterate:

After a short distance, Unalaq looked back and smiled knowing that he succeeded at splitting up the two followers. He headed toward a small hill and rode around it then drew his dogs to a halt. He ran back to the side of the hill, spear in hand, and waited for the torch-bearing person to come about, hoping to catch him by surprise.
Dodge (50%) - rolled a few extra ... use them in sequence if you want. (1d100=31, 1d100=74, 1d100=73, 1d100=21)

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:57 am
by DSIGFUSS
o.c. - One torch two Vikings.

Sorry bout the last bit though Imp. I got all caught up In Andrew failing two consequetive dog sled rolls. Poor Bastard.. I'll go back and fix it tonight.

Roll a Hide and a Dog sled check to get control of your dogs.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:07 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Drive Dog Sled (45%); Hide(55%) (1d100=94, 1d100=48)

Unalaq could not bring the dogs to stop around the hill, so he jumped off and let the dog sled continue on without him. He knew the dogs were trained to return back to his home even without him.

After bailing, he hid behind the hill and awaited the two Vikings that were chasing him. In this darkness, they wouldn't be able to tell that the driver had dropped off the sled until it was too late.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:42 am
by Andrew
OOC:
Initiative (Dex:12) (1d10=10)
Attack (Sword 70%) (1d100=9)
Dodge 39% (1d100=46)

I can't roll damage I have no idea what the weapon does, bone sword isn't listed. So if you could just roll the damage for me to speed it up.

Tornuaq stabs his spear into the ground and draws his sword, instead of attacking at first he shouts, "Godur!" He then pats his chest and says, "Tornuaq!" He then points to Thorrin and says, "Thorrin! Godur!" Then with a questioning tone he says, "Hjalpa?"

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 pm
by DSIGFUSS
oc- Andrew your bone sword does 1d6+1. In a combat round you can attack and parry or just dodge. If you parry a steel sword, your weapon has a 20% chance to break. Also both Unulaq and Tornuaq are wearing hide armour. Resistance 3 (absorbs the first three damage)

Unulaq jumps off his sled and the dogs come to a stop but continue to bark. He sneaks up a snowy hill and hides in ambush. The two Vikings follow the sound of the dogs and head for the sled. Unulaq remains hidden on the hill as the Vikings pass.

Tornuaq meets the two Vikings head on in a clash of sword and bone. Tornuaq stabs at the the first Viking and is surprised to see his bone sword pierce the shiny metal like a spear through blubber. The Viking cries out in pain and swings feebly for Tornuaq's head. Tornuaq ducks the blow with ease and readies himself for another attack. The second Viking runs past Tornuaq and knocks Thorrin down to the ice. Thorrin stabs at him with his spear but mises his mark. The Viking, holds Thorrin down and shakes him demanding in his own tongue.

Thorrin! Hvar er hnífur?

Thorrin cries out as his stomach wound throbs with pain.

Oc- Tornuaq does 5 + 3 = 8 damage.

oc - Unulaq - surprise attack roll and damage if you want to attack as the Vikings pass or you are free to change your mind and post what you do..

oc - Tornuaq - Inititive, Strike, Parry?(If you want to), Damage

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:11 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Ok, had to look back to see what I said my spear was in the last fight ... any chance you could write that on my character sheet to help save time? My memory sucks. It's a stone spear, 1d6+1 damage. I have +1d4 melee bonus for str+siz.

Spear attack at the trailing Viking (1d100=15)
Spear damage (1d6+1+1d4=9)

Unalaq waited for the Vikings to approach, and the first one to run past, then attacked the trailing one by surprise (hopefully the same one with the bow ... since that's the one Unalaq is upset with, the nerve of some people - shooting at complete strangers). He leaps off the hill, bringing down his spear with some fury into the back of the Viking.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:59 pm
by Andrew
Initiative (Dex12) (1d10=6)
Attack Sword (70%) (1d100=31)
Damage (1d6+1=7)

Tornuaq now knowing that these men in their shiney skins could bleed like men, wasted no time in his attack against the man before him. He would kill this man and help Thorrin the best he could.

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:36 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq comes crashing down on the second Viking from his hiding place. His spear tip is deflected on the shiny shirty the Viking wears. Some of his spear finds the flesh of his neck as it bounces off the armor, however, and the Viking cries out in pain. The Torch bearing Viking continues on towards the sled as his companion's cry was drowned out by the sound of Unualq's six mad barking sled dogs. The Viking drops his bow and draws a long dagger to face Unulaq.

o.c. - Viking armor deflects 5 damage so he takes 4 damage from Unulaq's surprise attack. (Unless you know something about surprise attacks that I don't that would have let you do additional damage)

The Viking facing Tornuaq winds his arm back and thrusts his sword into Tornuaq's gut. His sword refuses to pass through Tornuaq' s hide and feels as though the Viking were simply poking him with a dull piece of driftwood. The blade should have pierced his hide with very little effort based on the sharp point of the knife Tornuaq had held in his hands just a short time ago. Now, even in the midst of the battle, the knife pops into Tornuaq's thoughts. Tornuaq pushes them out and brings his own bone sword down on the Viking. Again, Tornuaq's bone sword pierces through the metal armor as if it were made of wool. His bone sword cuts deep into the Vikings chest and he falls to the ground coughing and spitting up blood.

Meanwhile, the Viking atop Thorrin, pushes his hand deep into Thorrin's wound and Thorrin screams. The Viking begins to pat down Thorrin, searching for something hidden beneath his clothes.

Hvar er thad?

oc - IMP (init (1d10), strike (1d100), parry (1d100), damage)
Oc- Andrew (init 1d10, strike 1d100, parry 1d100, damage) also guys... if you don't roll a parry roll, I'll assume you don't want to parry. It's a free attack action, so you can attack and parry in the same turn. I also forgot about your shield... Your shield has an even less chance to break 10% when struck by a metal weapon.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:19 am
by Andrew
OOC: Yes! First viking kill! Then again I'm also defending a viking.

I haven't been using parry because I don't know how to use it. I don't see 'parry' or anything but didge on the character sheet.

Initiative (Dex:12) (1d10=5)
Attack (Sword 70%) (1d100=70)
Damage (1d6+1=7)
Parry (?%) (1d100=4)

Well I'm not sure what I needed to roll for a parry but I'm sure a 4 does the trick. :)

Tornuaq let out a war cry as he spun around and saw the other viking on Thorrin. He knew what he was looking for. "It was thrown to Sedna you son of a Qallupilluk!" Tornuaq shouted as he attacked.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:12 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Initiative;Attack (70%);Parry;Damage (1d10=7, 1d100=65, 1d100=9, 1d6+1+1d4=5)

Maybe the parry is just added to the attack roll of your defender, thereby making his result higher than it would be normally? I've never used it before either... but far be it from me to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Unulaq growled at the Viking that faced off with him. He considered saying something, but knew the Viking wouldn't understand it. He ducked and weaved to avoid the dagger, meanwhile thrusting his spear toward the man's mid-section... although it was heavily armored at that point.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:16 pm
by DSIGFUSS
o.c. - Sorry guys.. should have explained Parry more. I was just learning about it myself.

Mr. Hand explained the parry rule very well in the OC- thread : Game Questions.

Basically I'm having you do all of your rolls to save time. But Mr. handy was right. When you roll to parry (if you want to ) your base % chance is equal to your weapon skill that you used to parry. Or Shield% in Tornuaq's case. Also if fighting more than one opponent you must specify which enemy you wish to parry. So far thaqt hasn't come up yet but it might for Unulaq soon. heheh!
:twisted:

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:47 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Hey no problem, just rolling with the punches. I read the post Mr. Handy threw in so I think I understand the parry rule. Now I do have a question right up your alley, where is Tornuaq in comparison to Unulaq? Helping Thorrin is all right and all but Tornuaq would be more concerned about Unulaq.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:15 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq is a good 3 rounds of running ahead of Tornuaq.
Maybe 2 if Tornuaq really books it.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:36 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Did Tornuaq kill that viking on Thorrin then? I'm not sure what happened yet.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:33 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The Viking turns to face Unulaq but the Dorset warrior is too quick. Unulaq thrusts his spear and hits the Viking square in the chest. The spear just bounces off the Viking's armor leaving Unulaq exposed for a return blow. The Viking brings his long scrimsax down on Unulaq but Unulaq manages to get his spear up to parry the blow.

Meanwhile Tornuaq charges the viking atop Thorrin, still incapacitated with pain. He thrusts his sword into his back and the bone weapon punctures the Vikings armor again with very little resistance. The Viking rolls off Thorrin and swings wildly at Thorin's neck with his sword. Thorrin just gets his own sword up in time to stop his head from rolling onto the snowy ground. Thorrin still in excrutiating pain, reaches for his spear and stabs for the Viking, missing pathetically.

oc - You are lucky you rolled a critical parry there Tornuaq. In Helluland, the only thing that can parry a critical hit is a critical parry. Lucky you rolled that 4 man...

oc - Unulaq and Tornuaq roll 1d100 to see if your weapon breaks.

oc - Next round.. Next set of rolls and actions. Please make weapon breaking rolls first. Thanks...

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:13 pm
by Andrew
OOC: No kidding! I guess Sedna doesn't want Tornuaq dead yet!

Weapon Breakage 20% (1d100=32)
Initiative (Dex:12) (1d10=4)
Attack (Sword 70%) (1d100=12)
Damage (1d6+1=4)
Parry (70%) (1d100=22)

Tornuaq parried the blow from the viking assaulting Thorrin, his eyes grew wide as he realized how close he was to loosing his head. He then struck with grim determination to kill the bastard hurting Thorrin.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:42 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Um, not sure what I should be rolling against for weapon breakage. Stone spear.

Weapon Breakage (?%) (1d100=34)

Spear Attack (60%); Damage; Parry; Breakage (1d100=95, 1d6+1+1d4=10, 1d100=6, 1d100=56)

Unalaq is surprised by the strength of the man when their weapons collide. He takes a step back from the force and his attack is off.

ooc: Please take whichever is appropriate.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:00 pm
by DSIGFUSS
oc- unless specified. Weapon breaking for bone weapons is 20%. weapon breakage % is all listed in the Eskimo and Viking Equipment thread...

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq's spear holds up to the Viking's long kniffe. Unulaq is forced back up the snowy hill as the Viking continues to slash at him. No blows find their mark as the two warriors battle for position in a flurry of offensive and defensive movements. Unulaq fumbles with his spear as he reaches the crest of the hill. He sees the other Viking charging up the hill carrying the largest most beautiful axe Unulaq has ever seen.

O.C. - Unulaq roll luck. (or drop spear (due to 95 attack roll))

Just a hundred meters away, Tornuaq squares off with his own Viking dance partner. The Viking lunges forward at Tornuaq and flies past him, right onto Thorrin's spear. His spear pierces the armour with ease, impaling the Viking. Choking on wood, bone and blood, the Viking reaches for his horn at his side. Still impaled by Thorrin's spear, he puts the horm up to his lips and sounds out his distress call for less than half a second before Tornuaq beheads him.

Thorrin collapses to the ground and clutches his side.

O.C - Tornuaq San check 1/1d6 for killing two men.

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:04 pm
by Andrew
Sanity 68% (1d100=54)

Tornuaq beheading the viking smiles wickedly and picks up the Viking's sword. Then with his own bone sword in hand and the Viking's shiny sword, Tornuaq runs as fast has the winds will let him to Unalaq's side. "I'm coming brother! Hold on!" Tornuaq shouts as he runs he switches the swords so that the new shiny sword is in his primary hand.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:23 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Don't know if you seen it, but Mr. Handy says a critical failure on my spear is at 96%... so i shouldn't risk dropping it. However... just incase:
Luck (if needed) (1d100=3)

In a ditch effort to keep the battle even, Unalaq throws his spear at the Viking with the axe charging up the hill hoping to stop him in his tracks, then draws out his huge bone club to parry the attacks from the dagger-bearing Viking.

Spear attack (70%); damage; parry; breakage (1d100=31, 1d6+1+1d4=4, 1d100=53, 1d100=65)

ooc: Four damage, looks like I forgot to take the protective caps off my spear before fighting.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:10 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - Sorry Imp! haha! I was just being a dick cuz you rolled so close. you're right though... this will probably be tough enough without you having to worry about close rolls failing too... Backto the action yo.

Tornuaq sees his brother struggling with a Viking atop a small snowy hill. The Viking swings his long dagger clumsily at Unualq and loses his footing. He slides just a few feet down the hill and looks to his left. He smiles and calls out to his large Viking partner with the giant shiny axe.

Braega! Drepa hann!

Unulaq takes his chance and hurls his spear at the giant Viking. The spear hits him straight in the chest but simply staggers him for a moment as he makes his climb up the hill. Unulaq quickly slides off his whale bone club from around his shoulder and readies himself for the Viking's charge. The two warriors clash and the sound of steel on solid bone echoes across the snowy plains. Both men can feel eyes on them from above and all around and look past the other to see if any other opponents lie in wait. There, of coarse is noone, but both men soon come to realize the eyes of the gods are watching this fight (Both Viking and Inuit) and they are eager to discover the victor.

ooc- He was slashing down on you, but you parried. please roll to see if your bone club breaks. 10% chance. Also tell me what you do. (rolls or other)

ooc- Tornuaq make a DEX-5 roll to see if you can make it there in two rounds instead of 3 as you run through the snow.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:31 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Hells Yes! Dex x5=60% (1d100=18)

Tornuaq, with grim determination at seeing two of these people attack his brother yells out hoping to distract them and either give Unalaq a chance for a killing blow or a chance to better defend himself. Tornuaq hoped as well but didn't expect it, for one to charge him and even up the odds.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:05 am
by ImpInTraining
DSIGFUSS wrote:ooc- He was slashing down on you, but you parried. please roll to see if your bone club breaks. 10% chance. Also tell me what you do. (rolls or other)
ooc: First of all, how can I parry an attack that was never delivered? The Parry was conditional ... if it was needed, use it. I did that to speed things up, not just because I like smashing my clubs against hard objects to get my rocks off. Since he didn't attack, there was nothing to parry... so how could my club break?
Secondly, I also included the breakage roll in my last post - also conditional.

Club Attack; Damage; Parry; Breakage (1d100=31, 1d8+1+1d4=7, 1d100=6, 1d100=76)

Unalaq stepped in such a way as to put the two Vikings in a line on one side of him... that way, if the other Viking wielding the long dagger wanted to attack, he'd have to get around his brother and further up the hill. As he did so, he brought his club in toward the belly of the Viking with the axe, and swiftly brought the bone club back to parry an attack from the axe. He didn't relish the thought of losing an arm in this battle.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:52 am
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq quickly slides off his whale bone club from around his shoulder and readies himself for the Viking's charge. The two warriors clash and the sound of steel on solid bone echoes across the snowy plains.
oc- The viking with the axe did hit you. I just described it with some color yo! The clash was the axe weilding Viking's strike and Unulaq's parry coming together in a glorious narrative. 8-)

oc - Unulaq hits btw(next round). I just need to talk to Handy about blunt damage and armor. I think the metal armour should protect less against a club. If you got the cthulhu rules for this let me know but Handy usually help me out pretty quick. Thanks Handy if you're reading this.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:25 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Sorry, I misread something last time, thought you said he wasn't slashing at me... ??? My bad. Anyway, tell me this, since two weapons are colliding, shouldn't both weapons risk breaking during the parry? Far as armor goes, my book doesn't say anything about different weapon styles vs. armor types... but it's only 5th edition.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:12 pm
by DSIGFUSS
oc - I just got a pm from Handy and until we find the actual rule in the book. Chainmail armor which is the best armor you'll se eon these guys deflects 5 vs slashing weapons such as swords/axes etc.... 4 vs bludgeoning weapons such as clubs maces and hammers..... and 3 vs piercing weapons such as spears and arrows. Until somebody corrects me on this, I'm sticking to it. Anybody feel free though to drop me a pm and set me straight.

oc- also Imp. Only your weapon has a chance of breaking cuz it's made out of wood and bone material and not folded steel. Gotta get a Shaman to enchant that suckah up yo!

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:36 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq finds his position between the two brutes and the Viking Braega swings his axe fast and furiously for Unulaq's head, also wishing to end the battle quickly. Unulaq easily gets his club up in time and the Viking's huge axe digs deep into the whale bone club. The club holds and Unulaq brings it down hard on Braega's back, staggering the Viking, clearly not used to this sort of resisitance.

The Viking Archer gathers his bow and takes careful aim at Tornuaq. He fires off two arrows which soar safely past Tornuaq's head.

oc- Unulaq does 4 damage to the Viking Braega.

oc- One more round of charging, Tornuaq ,and you'll be there.

oc- Unulaq. Rolls please....

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:04 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc: I want to note, I am keeping the guy with the axe between me and the guy with the bow and arrow (I am not between them... that was never the intent)... that way if he's shooting at me, he's shooting at his friend too. I think I missed my parry this time... which is just as well because it would have broke my club anyway. I hope he misses though.

club attack; damage; parry; breakage (1d100=27, 1d8+1+1d4=10, 1d100=88, 1d100=13)

Unalaq continuously adjusts his footing to keep the axeman between him and the arrows, making it an even smaller target for the archer ... and he risks shooting his own friend as well in the progress. Unalaq smiles with the satisfaction of sound strategy as he brings his club down hard in an overhand strike toward the Viking wielding the axe. He hopes to cave in the man's skull, but he'd be happy just to shatter a collar bone.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:34 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc: I want to note, I am keeping the guy with the axe between me and the guy with the bow and arrow (I am not between them... that was never the intent)... that way if he's shooting at me, he's shooting at his friend too. I think I missed my parry this time... which is just as well because it would have broke my club anyway. I hope he misses though.

oc - gottcha! Bow dood is firing on Tornuaq but your position is noted.

Braega holds his axe up high and brings it crashing down on Unulaq's arm. Unulaq raises his massive bone club to stop the blow but the Viking is too quick. Unulaq screams out in pain and retaliates with a savage blow to Braega's leg. Both men fall to the ground in terrible pain. Braega rolls away from Unulaq down the opposite side of the hill clutching a sharp piece of Bone protruding from his knee. Unulaq wasn't sure if the bone came from his club or belonged to Braega, but either way, Unulaq had injured Braega severely.

The Viking with the bow retreats down the snowy hill and fires off two more arrows towards the dangerously approaching Tornuaq. The first arrow hits Tornuaq right in the chest knocking the air out of the Dorset warrior. The second arrow snaps in half as the Viking's string comes loose and smacks him in the face. The Viking drops to his knees and scoops up a bit of snow to stop the burning sensation left by the lashing of the bow string.

oc- Tornuaq Conx5 check to see if you lose time reaching the Viking. Also give me a luck roll... (for kicks)

oc- Unulaq please wait to find out how much damge you take. In think it will be 7.

oc - Please allow me time to look up a critical hit with an arrow and a piercing hit with an axe. Both Vikings rolled very well.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 am
by Andrew
DSIGFUSS wrote: Both Vikings rolled very well.
Apparently so.

Conx5= (70%) (1d100=52)
Luck (60%) (1d100=80)

Tornuaq gritted his teeth as he felt the arrow sink into his chest. He tried as hard as he could to keep his pace to get to his brother.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:14 am
by DSIGFUSS
oc- OK...

Unulaq - You take a total of 8 damage from Braega. Roll DEXx5 to avoid falling down the hill.

Tornuaq - You are fine and still trucking... You can attack now with a -5 Initiative.

From now on, depending on how successful you were in striking, I'm going to say this :

20% of your attack roll is an incredible strike. Of that 20%

1-10% -completely bipasses armour.
11-20% - bipasses half of the armor.

so if your skill is 60%. then 12% is your range.

1-6% completely bipassses armor.
7-12% bipasses 1/2 armor.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:52 am
by Andrew
Initiative (1d10-5=-4)
Sword (70%) (1d100=28)
Damage (1d6+1, 1d4=[4, 1], [2])
Parry (70%) (1d100=98)

Tornuaq hauls ass to Unalaq's side attacking with the viking sword. He gets up on the hill and strikes for the viking with the battle axe.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:01 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: You should make sure to jot these house rules in some thread so we can all look back and find them later when we need to. So you don't have to go searching through all the threads to find out where you posted it at when you need it.

DEXx5 (70%) (1d100=17)

Unalaq clutches his arm as blood gushes out from the axe blow. However, he maintains his footing on the slippery slope and watches as the Viking rolls down clutching his knee. Finally, he was not alone, "Tornuaq, I've never been happier to see you." With Tornuaq charging for the man with the axe, Unalaq went for the man with the bow. "Now, let's finish this!"

He closed the distance and hefted up the club, then howled in the pain of using his wounded arm and missed his attack terribly.

Club attack (60%); damage; parry; breakage (1d100=88, 1d8+1+1d4=12, 1d100=13, 1d100=92)

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:40 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiled at his brother at first until he noticed his arm. "You're hurt brother! I hope the wound isn't to bad." He then holds out his bone sword for Unalaq, "Take this if you like, I killed two of them with it, it seems Sedna has blessed this sword."

Tornuaq knew only one thing in this whole confusing situation of a day. That of all the people he knew and loved, it was Unalaq that he was here with now. Tornuaq loved Mannitok as his brother but always thought him more as a younger more playful sibling, Unalaq he looked up to as his older, wiser and stronger brother, the brother that you would want to fight back to back with if someone had attacked you. With that thought in mind, Tornuaq spun around so that his back was against Unalaq's.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 am
by DSIGFUSS
The bow carrying Viking rolls to the side and looks up at Unulaq with genuine fear in his eyes as he brings the club down hard into the snow. He rolls to the side still holding his long viking blade and turns to run as Tornuaq joins Unulaq's side. Braega (on the opposite side of the hill ) begins to limp away as well into the darkness, his torch lay burning atop the hill at the brother's feet.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:09 am
by Andrew
"Unulaq? Pursue or let them go? Your call brother." Tornuaq stated, he hoped like hell it was pursue. For starters no one attacks his brother and walks away and also he just obtained this new sword, it was time to try it out.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:28 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq looked at the bowman running away and then shot a look at the axeman limping away, and pointed at the later, "We will not catch the runner... but that one is leaving a trail of blood and limping slowly. He dies... we will be doing him a favor, a swift death instead of dying slowly in the snow and ice."

He started chasing the man with the axe, holding is arm as he ran. He paused for only a second as he slid the bone club back on his back and scooped up his spear.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:49 am
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq and Unulaq follow the tracks through the snow with no need for slowing down. His trail is thick with blood and disturbed snow. In no time they reach him, limping and breathing heavily. Braega looks behind and then stops to face the two Dorset brother's and most likely his doom.

oc - Dorset boys - roll init plus all the others yo.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:26 am
by ImpInTraining
Initiative (1d10=10) (Dex = 14)

Stone spear attack (70%); damage; parry; breakage (1d100=51, 1d6+1+1d4=6, 1d100=88, 1d100=5)

"There he is," Unalaq smiles an evil little grin as they caught up with the axe-weilder. He moves in quick, his uninjured arm doing most of the work as he thrusts with his stone spear... but he can tell the damage of the impact wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. He needed to get his arm checked out.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:39 am
by Andrew
Initiative (1d10=4)
Sword (70%) (1d100=59)
Damage (1d6+1, 1d4=[5, 1], [2])
Parry (70%) (1d100=91)

Tornuaq steps up and attacks as well. He knew it was a mercy killing at this point but he felt more like a murderer. The man was dead but he couldn't even put up a fight.

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:24 am
by DSIGFUSS
Braega lifts his axe high in the air in one last ditch effort to save himself. Unulaqis first to reach him and drives his spear deep into the Vikings side before he can swing his axe. The Vikings amour deflects the majority of the blow but Unulaq still manages to find some fleshy revenge for the wound Braega gave him back on the hill. Tornuaq follows in close behind his brother and with his new Viking weapon, finishes Braega. Braega collapses into the snow and lies still in the cold cold wind.

oc - San 1/1d6 Checks all around people for the battle. (This is the first time either Tornuaq or Unulaq has killed a human being)

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:23 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Just a couple notes on the last post...
DSIGFUSS wrote:Tornuaq is first to reach him and drives his spear deep into the Vikings side before he can swing his axe.

I think this was supposed to say Unalaq.
(This is the first time either Tornuaq or Maniitok has killed a human being)

I think that was supposed to say Unalaq instead of Maniitok too. Help, I'm being written out of the story!

Oh, and as a reminder, you need to update my hit points on my character sheet, unless you're keeping track of them somewhere else. Probably not a bad idea for a Keeper, keep all the PC hit points, power points, and sanity points (values that change a lot) in one centrally located post. Just a suggestion.

I'd also like to try a few other skill checks. First aid on my injury, Insight to see if I can figure out anything about these people, Spot Hidden on this dead dude to see if he's hiding anything, Repair/Devise to figure a way to combine the sled dogs together, lash the dog sleds together, and drive them like that - I figure that way, both Unalaq and Tornuaq can get dog-sled drive checks and if one of them succeeds, then they're good to go. Is it feasible? If not, we can take one dog from my sled and put it on his sled, then put the injured dog(s) that are still alive in my sled tied down.

Unalaq said "Thanks for the offer of the sword, but I never touched one before. I would just as likely throw it across the ice as strike my foe with it." He took only a moment to regard the fallen warrior.

Sanity (53) (1d100=6) Lost 1 point.

He supposed he should feel bad about it, but he knew there was no time for feeling guilty. This man had comrades, and they're likely to be brought their direction soon once that bow-wielder finds them and warns them.

Unalaq knelt down beside the man and started stripping the chain shirt off of him. "This stone skin ... it is very good against my spear. I think maybe good against that sword too, and the axe. We would do well to put it to use for us." As he was stripping the chain armor off, he was looking for other items hidden on the man's body.

Spot Hidden (70%) (1d100=58)

With the chain and axe (and whatever else he found) taken from the body, Unalaq starts making his way to his dog sled. He says "Come on, I will give you a ride back to your sled."

Once they are back to his sled, he takes a look at his arm injury, and tries to bind it to keep it from bleeding further.

First Aid (30%) (1d100=14)

"You took an arrow, are you all right?" Unalaq asked Tornuaq before trying to move out on the sled.

"I wonder if maybe we can strap our sleds together somehow and combine the dogs to pull both sleds?" He considers the idea, then dismisses it, "No... it would probably be too burdensome for the team."

Repair / Devise (20%) (1d100=71)

Knowing they aren't in any immediate danger now, he takes his time to get the dog sled rolling without risking harm to the animals.

Drive Dog Sled (45%) (1d100=49)

ooc: I know ... this fails, do I roll it again or does something bad happen? He's not in any rush, so I wasn't even sure a drive roll was needed.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:59 am
by DSIGFUSS
I think that was supposed to say Unalaq instead of Maniitok too. Help, I'm being written out of the story!
oc- woops.. I think that was a Friday night drunken post. haha!
Oh, and as a reminder, you need to update my hit points on my character sheet, unless you're keeping track of them somewhere else. Probably not a bad idea for a Keeper, keep all the PC hit points, power points, and sanity points (values that change a lot) in one centrally located post. Just a suggestion.
oc- That's a good idea for HP and Sanity points. I'll make a thread up.
I'd also like to try a few other skill checks. First aid on my injury, Insight to see if I can figure out anything about these people, Spot Hidden on this dead dude to see if he's hiding anything, Repair/Devise to figure a way to combine the sled dogs together, lash the dog sleds together, and drive them like that - I figure that way, both Unalaq and Tornuaq can get dog-sled drive checks and if one of them succeeds, then they're good to go. Is it feasible? If not, we can take one dog from my sled and put it on his sled, then put the injured dog(s) that are still alive in my sled tied down.
oc- You can take the time to bind your wounds but remember the three other torches on the beach calling for Thorrin. They are no that close but it would be risky to hang around, escpecially since on of the Vikings escaped.

oc- roll idea or come up with a plan... but it would be good to get away quick. Your first aid is successful. Unulaq gets back 3 HP. Your spot hidden is also successful.

Unulaq seaches Braega and finds several small throwing axes looped into his furs. Braega wears a shiny metal neclace with a beautifully crafted amulet on the end. The amulet bears symbols similar to those on Thorrin's dagger but different. Braega also wears a scrimasax and scabbard on his leg.

When the brothers arrive back at Tornuaq's sled to assess the damage. Thorrin is passed out yet again but is still breathing.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:06 am
by ImpInTraining
Idea (60%) (1d100=37)

Seeing one of Tornuaq's dogs dead (right?), Unalaq takes one of his dogs off and puts it on Tornuaq's sled. While he's doing that, he tells Tornuaq "Take the shiny skins off those two as well," he points at the Vikings laying dead.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:06 am
by Andrew
OOC: Yup... dead dog.

Tornuaq runs over to the two vikings and strips them of their shiny skins and another other new and interesting objects they carried. "You still wanting Thorrin to ride with me?"

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:03 am
by ImpInTraining
"Does not matter to me. Either way it will weight about the same," Unalaq responds.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:47 am
by Andrew
"Maybe you should take him then, we both saw what a disaster it was with him on my sled. Apparently I can drive a sled with animal carcasses but not a live person." Tornuaq answered while quickly helping to prepare to take off.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:40 am
by ImpInTraining
As Unalaq was strapping both Thorrin and the armor into the sleds, he said, "The last time we took off, you were rushed. When you try to rush things, that is when mistakes happen. But if you are apprehensive, you drive my sled. Try to keep my dogs alive."

As there was no one bearing down on the two Inuit right at the moment, Unalaq snapped the reigns and called the commands to get the dog-team moving. He ran with the sled, pushing from behind to help the dogs get inertia.

ooc: Should I roll? Or is starting and stopping a dog sled under normal circumstances routine enough not to require a roll?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:45 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - I'll only make you roll a sled roll if pressed for time and the dogs are distracted. Now the dogs are back under control so you are good to go. Tornuaq lost 2 of his 6 dogs. The first Tornuaq finds dead with an arrow sticking out of his chest. The second, got tripped up by the dead sled dog and Tornuaq ran him over, snapping his leg and neck. If you are not carrying anything, 4 dogs can pull it at a slower pace....

Sparing little time, Tornuaq and Unualq strap Thorrin to Unulaq's sled and load the armour and any other trinkets they discovered from the three Viking corpses onto Tornuaq's sled. Tornuaq still shaken from his sledding accident takes up the reins of Unulaq's fresh sled and the two brothers journey back North. Unualaq turns his head and notices the three torches from the beach coming over the rise of the hill. Neither torch seems to be moving quickly and do not give any indication of pursuit. Both brothers are certain they can't be seen from this distance in the darkness.

They travel for nearly five minutes before they hear a horn call in the distance. The horn echoes across the snowy plains and seems to be coming from all directions. Unualaq and Tornuaq are used to this sort of echoe during polar bear mating season but the sound still chills them to the bone. The Vikings are coming!

ooc - Nice fight boys....
oc - Please allow me time to look up a critical hit with an arrow and a piercing hit with an axe. Both Vikings rolled very well.
I think I forgot to tell you how much damage you took from that arrow Andrew!

You took 7...

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:48 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq called over to Tornuaq over the noise of the sled dogs, "We have to get back and warn the others. These men are too dangerous. They may slaughter our wives and daughters without a second thought." He looked down at Thorrin to see if the man was still holding on.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:25 am
by Andrew
OOC: 7 damage to the chest, got it.

Tornuaq answers back, "Agreed, it was obvious that they were not here just to talk and meet new people, the first one ran right up to me and started attacking."

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:17 am
by ImpInTraining
"They fired at me as I rode away," Unalaq responded. "They had no interest in talking. I think they are also enchanted by the call of the knife."

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:51 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq feels a pain deep inside him at the mention of the knife and turns away from Unulaq with his own thoughts. Unualaq notices Tornuaq turn away and quickly understands why. The pain quickly subsides,however, and the two brothers continue North well on their way back to their village.

ooc - Unulaq : Spot Hidden

ooc - Tornuaq : San check 0/1

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:06 pm
by ImpInTraining
Spot Hidden (70%) (1d100=41)

Unalaq hoped they could find home in the darkness. It wouldn't be easy, but at least the snow reflected what little light was coming down from the sky to help illuminate things.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:14 am
by Andrew
OOC: Sanity 68% (1d100=79) Sorry about the delay. I was wondering why we weren't moving along... turns out it was my fault, sorry again!

Tornuaq hated the damn knife at this point, he could actually feel his mind slowly start slipping away because of it. He couldn't wait until this was all over and he could forget about the whole damn thing... or he died, then he wouldn't have to worry about it but he really didn't want that.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:49 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq noticed the look on Tornuaq's face, and he looked down at Thorrin as well with a curious look on his face. "You know... it was almost as if he understood me. That knife ... it is a wicked, overbearing thing. For such a small weapon, it has so large an impact. And now, probably because of that knife, those Vikings will hunt this area, maybe kill everyone we know and love just to obtain it again. In fact, if we were to swim into the freezing ocean, retrieve the knife, and hand it back to them, they would probably still kill us. What a cursed blade."

He shook his head and was eager to get back home. "I wonder what had happened to Maniitok," he said loudly to change the subject.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:42 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - Tornuaq and Unualq have some sled riding ahead of them. It's slow moving because Unulaq's sled (Tornuaq's sled actually) is shy two sled dogs. Do you guys want some time to discuss stuff? You escaped the Vikings so now it's "you" time. If you just want to push forward with the story, that's cool too. Let me know. Sorry that your thread slowed down. You guys are way ahead of everyone else though. Nice work boys!

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:12 pm
by Andrew
OOC: I'm cool with pushing ahead but if we're that far ahead I don't want to unbalance things either.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:26 am
by ImpInTraining
Once some distance from the pursuing Vikings is guaranteed, Unalaq will call to stop the sleds, balance the number of dogs out, and check the wounds on Thorrin. If he doesn't look like he'll make it, Unalaq will consider trying to patch him up better.

ooc: As far as the game timing goes, I'm ok with just sitting by and letting the others catch up. What with the holidays and all... it's just convenient for me at this point in time.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:55 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq gathers everything they took from the Vikings and examines Thorrin while Unulaq is switching the dogs. The cold is biting and it would be a good idea to rest and build a fire for a short time to warm Thorrin and the dogs. Unless thye Vikings had sled of their own, they would be hard presswed to catch them.

ooc - we should wait. Christmas is a good time to break. Check the thread from time to time for fun. Maybe I'll wake Thorrin up and you guys can learn some more Viking. I'll post what you got from the Viking with some pics too. Merry Christmas boys!!

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:51 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Happy Kwanzaa! Or Hanukkah, or Merry Christmas... whatever suits ya!

Happy Chrismakwanzahanukkah!

Unalaq will fetch some wood... if there's any to fetch.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:29 pm
by Andrew
OOC: I guess that's really why Happy Holidays came around. Simplify things. So with that... Happy Holidays!

Tornuaq stops his dogs and helps Unalaq by checking on Thoriin. "This day has definietly been the most unusal day of my life. I guess I shouldn't have wished for something interesting or different to happen."

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:02 am
by DSIGFUSS
Image Image Image Image Image

As you fled the battle you were able to take two Viking swords, two short scramasax's (knives), one long scramasax, a large double headed two handed axe and an asoortment of silver jewels inlaid with gems the likes of which neither Tornuaq and Unulaq couldn't have possible even ever imagined.

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:44 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq takes his bone sword and tosses it in the snow and replaces it with the viking's shiny, sharper blade. He saw first hand how well the knife cut through the polar bear hide and he knew that this blade would be much better than his bone sword.

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:28 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq was only mildly disappointed that there were no spears or clubs in the bunch. He checked all of the weapons for symbols like what they had found on the other cursed knife, before claiming the large knife as his own. He wouldn't be using it to kill anything, but it would be very useful in cutting the meat of their hunt. He also studied the amulet curiously. "These men ... they have skills far beyond our own. I could not even imagine how they made these weapons... but we should redistribute them to our men as fast as we can. So we cannot stay here long, just long enough to warm back up from the frigid night air."

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:28 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq was only mildly disappointed that there were no spears or clubs in the bunch. He checked all of the weapons for symbols like what they had found on the other cursed knife, before claiming the large knife as his own. He wouldn't be using it to kill anything, but it would be very useful in cutting the meat of their hunt. He also studied the amulet curiously. "These men ... they have skills far beyond our own. I could not even imagine how they made these weapons... but we should redistribute them to our men as fast as we can. So we cannot stay here long, just long enough to warm back up from the frigid night air."

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:00 pm
by Andrew
"I agree brother, with what these men bring to the fight they make us look like primitive igloo living Inuits... oh wait we are." Tornuaq stated trying to cause a laugh. "However bad my joke... I do agree that we need to get back and pass out what we have. I wish we had time to skin that shiny skin off them, did you see how it protected their bodies from harm?"

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:30 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc: We didn't take their armor?

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:08 pm
by Andrew
OOC: I didn't see that listed under what we grabbed. Although I did say that Tornuaq started to undo at least the one suit. Could have been an oversight but I didn't see it listed in what was grabbed.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:15 am
by DSIGFUSS
As Unalaq was strapping both Thorrin and the armor into the sleds, he said, "The last time we took off, you were rushed. When you try to rush things, that is when mistakes happen. But if you are apprehensive, you drive my sled. Try to keep my dogs alive."

OC- OK we're back on. As for tyhe Viking armor, there were three chain shirts in total. I wasn't sure wether or not Unulaq grabbed the chainmail but based on the above post he grabbed some armor right? We'll say he had enough time to grab the shirts only from the two Vikings that Tornuaq killed cuz they were close to the sled he is now on. That means you have three chain shirts. One of them is Thorrins. You had to leave the Viking with the big ass axe with his armor on cuz there wasn't the time to strip him down properly. Sound good?

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:27 am
by Andrew
OOC: Sounds good here, carry on sir.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:09 am
by DSIGFUSS
After a brief rest the two Dorset brothers continue across the icy plains back to their home. Unulaq's sled moves much slower than Tornnuaq's with the loss of the two sled dogs. Tornuaq has to slow their pace if they wish to stay together.

They travel for just over an hour and Tornuaq's thoughts drift often to the knife. Thorrin stirs on cue as Tornuaq fantasizes about holding the Viking blade once more in hands. He mumbles incoherently in his Icelandic tongue.

Unulaq, trailing behind, spots something in the distance just to the north east of them. A lone figure scarcely dressed for the harsh winter environment stumbles through the snow. He heads south for the ocean but is far too undersupplied for the journey.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:58 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq whistles to Tornuaq and veers off course by shifting his weight and guiding the dogs ... he starts heading toward the person off wandering by his lonesome.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:19 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq looked behind him and seeing his brother change course did so as well. Once the course was changed he slowed down to get beside him and asked, "What is it brother?"

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:04 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq pointed in the direction of the person walking off in the distance as he said "I see someone ... they may need help. So may we." He turned his attention back to driving and looked for the person again, hoping not to lose sight of them in the tundra terrain.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:26 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq too began scanning the ice and snow for the lone person Unalaq mentioned.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:02 pm
by DSIGFUSS
In the now cloudless sky,once properly noted, the lone figure walking the plains is easy to keep in sight. He doesn't seem to notice the two brothers approach by sled until they get to within 50 metres or so. He stops and takes a defensive postion, angling his body to the right to minimize his exposure to attack. Tornuaq notices the man is clutching his side and seems to be stumbling and his movements are very shakey.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:30 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Does he look viking or inuit? I'm guessing viking or else he wouldn't be worried about an attack.

Tornuaq slowed his sled down and shouted, "Hjalpa!" and pointed at the man, he then pointed to himself and said, "Tornuaq." and then to Thorrin and Unalaq and repeated their names. He then looked to the wounded man and said, "Hjalpa? Faida?"

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:09 am
by DSIGFUSS
Upon closer inspection the figure looks neither Viking nor Inuit. Wearing a thin cloth fur lined hooded robe, he could not have travelled far. He slowly lifts his head as Tornuaq begins to call out in what little of the Viking tongue he had picked up so far from Thorrin and those men he had killed. He raises a hand to the two brothers and both Tornuaq and Unulaq can see that it is drenched in blood. So much so that it is dripping onto the snow. As her turns to address the brothers, they also notice hs robes are drenched in blood as well. In a raspy hollow voice he calls out.

Go away! I'll kill you all!

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:27 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq looked to Unalaq and shrugged, "Who are we to go against his wishes... unless he's killed others." Shouting to the man, "I am Tornuaq, whose blood drips from you?"

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:32 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq looked to Tornuaq and shook his head, "It is not anyone but his own blood, Tornuaq." He stepped off his dog sled and took just a couple steps toward the man before stopping, "This area is dangerous. There are ... strangers on the ice, not like yourself ... but like him," he pointed to Thorrin, "... only not so peaceful. They tried to kill us. They will find your trail of blood and kill you too. Let us try to stop that bleeding. If you wish, we can bring you back to our village and we can help you heal up before you head off on your journey."

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:03 pm
by DSIGFUSS
As Unluaq approaches, he notices the man is keeping his face hidden from him behind his hooded robe. He coughs and spits as he chuckles to himself, covering a large patch of snow with his own blood and snot.

The Norsemen... Yes! They will reach the mountain! You will not! As the for the blood..... it is mostly mine!

He then puts his blood soaked hand up to his lips. Both Dorset brothers can see the man's tongue slowly reach out from behind th hood and lick at his bloodied fingers.

But not all of it. Some belongs to the Shaman! So delicious, her magic and her marrow.

OC - Spot Hidden checks.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 am
by ImpInTraining
Spot Hidden (70%) (1d100=18)

Unalaq frowned noticably. Another dispicable creature in their midst. How violent the unforgivable icelands had become lately. "Why would you attack a shaman?" he asked the person before them as he took a few steps back toward his sled - closer to his spear.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:42 am
by DSIGFUSS
Why?

The hooded man wheezes and spits out even more blood. He turns and looks away from Unulaq, his face receeding further into his own shadow. He growls very much like an animal and the effort forces him onto one knee hacking and convulsing as he vomits a shower of blood and bile onto the snow.

We will drive you from this land human. For the one true god has come!

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:59 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Spot Hidden (60%) (1d100=71)

Tornuaq suddenly became interested in the sky the way the clouds moved swimmingly through the darkness and the moon seemed to playfully hide behind them... so beautiful. He heard Unalaq speaking to the stranger and knew it was time to kill yet another evil presence on the ice.

Tornuaq shook his head and drew his new viking steel, "Well where we come from, you kill a shaman, we kill you."

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:36 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq snatched up his spear from his sled and nodded, "I have had just about enough of you arrogant creatures trying to bully your way into our land. You will die just like your cousin back at the beach. Make your peace with your god."

He lifts his spear and starts to charge the thing.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:03 am
by DSIGFUSS
So be it then human! You will die like your friends.

The hooded man with great effort rises to his feet and as he does so, his hood slides off his head. His face is contorted and bubbles as if his blood were boiling beneath his skin. He looks at Tornuaq with red glowing eyes and snarls. Large fangs begin to form in his mouth and his blood soaked hands now seemed clawed. The effort forces the creature back onto his knees and he laughs spitting out even more blood onto the snow. Hairs begin forming on his face and arms as he growls… waiting.

Come to me plainsmen! I will taste your blood on my tongue before the end.

oc - Both of you go first if you are chosing to attack.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 am
by Andrew
Sword (70%) (1d100=10)
Parry (70%) (1d100=92)
Damage (1d6+1=3)

Tornuaq runs up to the damn thing and attacks.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:00 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Is there charging damage with a spear?

Unalaq levels the spear chest high to the thing and starts running intent on running the thing straight through.

Parry (70%); Attack (70%); Damage (1d100=35, 1d100=37, 1d6+1+1d4=6) - what a crappy roll on damage. :(

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:04 pm
by Andrew
OOC: I said the same with my damage. I really hate that site, usually my rolls are really high.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:36 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Both Dorset brothers press their advantage on the foul creature. Tornuaq’s blade merely bounces off his thick hide, seeming to have lost its earlier enchantment Thorrin had given it with his beautiful song. (ooc- Or the creature is resistant) Unulaq’s spear however digs into the creatures belly and it howls in pain. (3 damage) It slashes out savagely at Unulaq with little precision to its attack. His claws swing wide, and Unulaq easily pushes the blow aside readying himself for another strike.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:05 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq laughs in the midst of battle to Tornuaq, "That Viking sword does not seem all that great to me." He pretty much forgoes defense to focus on his attack, jumping to the left in attempt to flank the creature on both sides with the Inuit warriors and lunged his spear in low and lifting up with it hoping to find another weak point.

Parry(70%);Attack(70%);Damage with Spear (1d100=97, 1d100=11, 1d6+1+1d4=10)

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:41 am
by Andrew
Seeing that his sharper, new sword was somehow ineffective against the Ijiraat, Tornuaq decided that instead of attacking the Ijiraat he would defend his brother instead.

OOC: Now how does that work in CoC? Basically on all my turns I will defend any attacks that come in for Unalaq. I know in real life it can be done, done it but I'm not sure if CoC has anything like that. Regardless though, that's what Tornuaq is doing.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:29 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Your sword isn't necessarily ineffective... it just absorbs some of the damage I think. You have to do more than 3 points when you hit it.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:41 am
by Andrew
OOC: I'm not sure if Tornuaq would realize that or if he would think the creature had an immunity to this kind of weapon. If he get's a clear shot while doing defense for Unalaq he'll take it, otherwise he's just going to defend his brother.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:15 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: You could always stand back and just pelt it with snowballs.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:26 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- Two things…

One - Imp is right. You have to do more damage. You guys have a 3 Damage resistance with your armor as well.
Two- I still haven’t decided whether or not I am going to allow parrying vs. animal attacks. I’d like some feedback from you guys. What do you think? Can you parry a claw? Since we’re the first group to address this, whatever we decide here will be law!

Unulaq drives his spear into the flailing creature and it howls much like a wolf as it dies and slumps to the ground.

ooc – San checks 0/1 (You’re having a really weird day!)
ooc – Inuit Mythos check
ooc – Spot Hidden check

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:07 pm
by Andrew

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:39 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Aren't we supposed to get some sanity back when we defeat creatures like this? I mean, if this keeps up, I don't stand a chance. I'll be laying fetal with my thumb in my mouth in no time.

Sanity (53%); Inuit Mythos (15%); Spot Hidden (70%) (1d100=34, 1d100=54, 1d100=26)
Made the Sanity check, missed Inuit Mythos, and made Spot Hidden.

As for parrying animal attacks, tactically speaking, I don't see why an animal attack can bypass a parry. But if you ask me, I think the parrying in this game is kind of weird. I can understand if you forgo your attack to parry and use all of your weapon skill % to do so, or maybe if you split your skill (divide in half) to parry and attack in the same round, but allowing a parry at the same time as an attack with the full weapon % effectively gives each character two actions a round with their melee. Is it really supposed to work that way? Can you parry and dodge in the same round too?

Unalaq looked at the fallen foe and flipped it over face up, then jabbed the spear in its throat just to make sure it was dead. "Tornuaq, I am afraid our peaceful lives have gone to the dogs. I guess we should backtrack this creature's path to see if that Shaman it attacked needs help."

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:50 pm
by Andrew
OOC: All a parry is, is deflecting a harmful blow away from yourself. If a cat goes to scratch and you knock aside it's paw it's a parry, you can even parry a head. My dog lunges at me with the intent to lick the crap out of me and I use my hand to shove her head to the side, it's a parry. Now with a weapon I'm going to possibly do damage, especially a bladed weapon to a hostile animal. I think it's the GURPS system that says if you parry an unharmed opponent or animal they take half the damage of the weapon because even though I'm using the weapon to parry them, I'm not throwing any force in it like an attack.

Parry or block it's the same thing really. With a shield you have big area for defense and a sword it's the same thing but a smaller area for defense. That's one of the things I came to quickly learn in the SCA. If I'm fighting sword and shield I have my shield strapped to my arm and can more easily deflect attacks but if I'm fighting two swords my left sword is my defense but instead of having the big protection it's a lot smaller but still does about the same job.

So in answer to the question: Yes you can parry animal attacks. To me it'd be crazy not to be able to do so. However I also agree with Tom in the craziness of this system and their parrying rules.

Tornuaq looked down at the creature and listened to what his brother had to say, in answer he replied, "I agree, if things keep going this way we'll have to find a new homeland. As for checking on the shaman I agree there as well, if she lives maybe she will be able to help Thorrin as well."

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:22 am
by DSIGFUSS
ooc – I agree with the parry thing too. Ok then…. you can parry animal attacks, and they will do take half weapon damage. (Without the Strength bonus)

ooc - As for the sanity loss Imp… I hear yah. It’s a flaw in the game. I’ll ask Handy for some suggestions to curb it.. but you are having a pretty weird day. As far as I’m concerned I treat Sanity loss rolls for how well you are handling yourself at the moment of the San Check. So if something starts to freak out and I ask for a San check and you pass, your character should act normally. If you fail the check then you should let your freak flag fly.

When the brothers turn the beast over, Unulaq spots a symbol on its chest. He can’t remember where he’d seen it, but it seemed very familiar as did the creature with the red eyes. Was it in a dream?

oc- Unulaq’s and Tornuaq’s fight with the Ijiraat polar bear is now almost completely gone from their memories. It all seemed like a fading dream. Everything else, they remember. The Beluga whales, finding Thorrin, fighting off the Vikings. They just can’t seem to recall their encounter with the Ilijiraat polar bear. They will soon forget meeting this Ilijiraat in its true humanoid form as well.

A trail of blood left by the Ijiraat can be easily followed North. Tornuaq remembers a hilly region close by, where his people often stopped to rest on their way to the ocean hunting grounds where they had found Thorrin.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:03 am
by ImpInTraining
Curious at the mysterious symbol on its chest, Unalaq started cutting that section of the skin off of the man to take with them. He would show it to the Shaman when they saw her, and maybe she could clue them in on what exactly they just killed. After that, he made his way back over to the sleds and took one dog off one sled and put it on the sled that was short by two, therefore they'd be running at the same speed, roughly. He checked on the Viking... "Norseman... that's what that thing called him. Viking... Norseman, I wonder which is right?" Unalaq questioned aloud before hopping back to the back of the sled and getting the dogs going again. They'd follow the trail back as far as they could... try to piece this mystery together.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:39 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq helped where he could and merely shrugged unknowing at Unalaq's question. Once the sled's were prepared he followed close behind his brother.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:57 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The two bothers follow the thick trail of blood across the plains with very little difficulty or need to slow down. As they suspected, the trail leads back to the Dorset resting ground. They have both camped there many times before. In the summertime, wild mountain cranberries littered the rocky plains. Tornuaq, Maniitok and Unulaq would often pick berries with Maniitok’s sister, competing fiercly with each other for the greatest crop.

Now, the cranberry bushes were covered in snow and as they reached the hilly region his people often used, both Unualaq and Tornuaq could not help but stare in stupefied horror. The clouds gone, the moon lit up the battlefield before them.

Ogtuk-Luk, the Shaman’s protector, stood with his spear raised looking out over the icy plains. Qannaq, the venerable hunter hobbled beside him as Faroo, the young spirited Dorset warrior helped him along. Two Dorset warriors (or was it just one) were ripped apart, their bodies mangled beyond recognition. All around him bits and pieces of the Inuit’s sled dogs littered the icy ground. At least half of the sled dogs had been slaughtered. Others were injured and the rest were whining to their masters. There was just so much blood.

Beyond the dogs, Tornuaq and Unulaq could hear the cries of their Shaman Yuralria, praying aloud to her gods to save her fallen Dorset warriors and deliver them from this terrible evil. Her voice sounds hoarse and strained.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:32 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq shook his head in disbelief, "That creature did all this?" He gave a special thankful prayer that he and Tornuaq didn't have to face it full strength. He pulls the sled a good distance away from the dead to keep the dogs as calm as possible, then heads over to speak with the Shaman Yuralria. He waited for an appropriate time to interject, not wishing to interrupt her prayers.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq rubbed his eyes, hoping that they were playing tricks on him but when he realized they were not he said, "By Sedna's hair... That, that thing did this?" Following Unalaq's actions, Tornuaq did the same.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:11 am
by DSIGFUSS
As the brothers walked past the sled dogs, they could see the remains of several dead wolves that bubbled and frothed in an all too familiar fashion. The creature they had killed was just one of many ilijiraat that assaulted the Dorset tribe. Two of the wolves with blood red eyes, lay at Chief Kalituk’s feet as Yuralria, the tribe’s Shaman called to her god’s for help in healing Maniitok. All the surviving Dorset warriors look wide eyed at Thorrin, thinking him a ghost or a spirit coming to them in these dark and terrifying times.

OC - CONTINUE TO CHAPTER 2 : V-day : The Dorset Tribe :D