Page 1 of 1

Chapter 2 V-day! The Dorset Tribe

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:12 am
by DSIGFUSS

Maniitok stands and surveys the grim violence all around him. The Shaman had completely healed his wounds suffered at the teeth and claw of the red eyed Ilijiraat . Of the 14 Dorset Eskimos riding seven sleds, pulled by close to 30 dogs, Only 17 dogs remain and seven Dorset warriors lay dead in the snow, their bodies torn to shreds and bloody carnage by the merciless Ilijiraat.

Image Image

All eyes fell on Unulaq and his brother Tornuaq as they drove their own sleds (shy a few dogs themselves) up to the Shaman and their Cheif.

Maniitok's eyes brightened when he saw his old friends. He waved and called to them as if pleading for deliverance from this terrible evil that had just been delivered to the Dorset people. Then he saw the Norseman and his eyes narrowed some.

Strapped to Unulaq's sled lay the unconscious body of the Viking. He had pale white skin and long red hair and looked as though he had just been through hell and back again. His face was badly bruised and he had cuts along his exposed shoulders and hands.

Qannaq, the venerable hunter, rose to his feet and couldn't help but stare at the pale faced stranger. If not for his wisdom and fearless nature, all of the sled dogs would be dead and the tribe would be trapped out on the icy plains.

Faroo, helped Qannaq to his feet. He was the aging Dorset's only friend and served as his apprentice hunter. Faroo was just made Dorset Warior last winter and with Qannaq's training, will make an excellent hunter.

Fraqanaq, Just a boy come along to see the Belugas... He hoped by volunteering, Chief Kalituk would choose Fraqanaq as the youngest. The boy under 15 who was allowed to travel with the Dorset men and take part in the Great Cariboo Hunt. Now he lay unconscious in Yuralria's arms. He had benifited from the Shaman's healing but it was not enough to wake the boy from his harsh injuries sustained during the Ilijiraat attack.

Image Image

Yuralria, Shaman to the Dorset people. And just as promised by Tornuaq's and Unulaq's latest kill, the Shaman's throat was torn and bloody from the Ilijiraat's savage attack. If not for her faithful protector Ogtuk-Luk, Yuralria would certainly be dead as well as bloodied.

Chief Kalituk frowns at Tornuaq and Unualq as they ride in with the pale faced stranger.

He holds up his hand and points the mighty chieftain's spear Wanatom

What ill spirit to you bring us Unulaq! We have already lost so much....

oc -There is no need for introductions... You have all know each other since you were born. Except for the Norseman. He's new! :D

Re: Chapter 2 V-day! The Dorset Tribe

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:25 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq moved closer to Chief Kalituk, as he did so his eyes barely registered the carnage that surrounded him. How could one Ilijiraat do all this damage when Unalaq destroyed one on his own in just a few attacks and was not even injured during the fight?

"Mighty Chief Kalituk, Unalaq and I found the creature who did this before we came here, Unalaq destroyed it in a flurry of ferocious blows. The man on Unalaq's sled in named Thorrin, he is a Norseman, a Viking and he helped to save my life. Unalaq and I were attacked by four other Viking warriors. I killed two with the help of Thorrin and Unalaq killed one, the other escaped before he could get to him." Tornuaq stated while bowing to show the respect that the chief had earned.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:12 am
by trixie
Yuralria laid Fraqanaq's weak, feeble head in the snow and threw a spare fur over him to warm him. She couldn't help overhearing such a conversation....such an obvious misunderstanding.

She strides up to the Chief, watching Tornuaq eagerly relay their findings, Her face stretches into a grave, concerned look. Did he say they fought these strangers? Did he really say he battled them? What would they think now! It would surely turn sour! Oh...but the gods would not favour them now....creating strife is not the way of our people....

"This was not one Iljiraat, Tornuaq."
Yuralria murmured, eyes flitting to the injured men in hopes to save their suspicions. "This was far worse that merely one. Tell me, what did you find on the mountain? You say you found other strangers?"

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:17 am
by ImpInTraining
"More like ... they found us. I believe the Norsemen... or Vikings, not really sure which they like to be called, were after this one. Let me start at the beginning."

Unalaq motions toward the unconscious Viking and said "Thorrin, as he calls himself, was unconscious with the beluga and had this knife on him that had special powers. It steals your soul and commands you to head into the mountains." He looked at Tornuaq considering just how much he should tell to spare any hard feelings, and then said back to the others, "It even started commanding us and we were almost powerless to do anything about it, so I got rid of it."

He scratched his head a moment and shook it blinking saying, "I ... there was something more, but I forget exactly." He shook his head, "No matter. The seas started getting angry and swallowed up the beached beluga, so we started to leave... and that's when we came across the other Vikings. They chased after us and shot at us with little spears (arrows), so we defended ourselves. It was a hard fight, for the Norsemen wear skins like this," Unalaq retrieved some metal armor from one of the dog sleds and threw it down to the chief's feet, "and they use hard, sharp weapons like the one Tornuaq carries."

He looked again to Tornuaq and then his own self-bandaged arm and said, "We were injured in the fight... but even near death, Thorrin fought like a true warrior helping to fight against his own people." He pointed off to the direction they came and said "We came across a man wandering in the snow, bloodied... and we asked if he needed help. He..." Unalaq shook his head again, "I ... cannot remember. But I took this from him." Unalaq pulled out a small square of skin that bore a strange symbol on it and flung it to the snow face up:

"Then we followed the trail of blood here, knowing the shaman had been killed by that man we fought out on the ice."

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:49 pm
by trixie
Yuralria's eyes flicker, "It is important that we all talk as much as possible about what just happened, otherwise the Iljiraat will take our memories of all that has happened. We cannot allow them to steal such important information away. Unulaq! Do you believe this may have happened to you? Is that why you have difficulty remembering?" Without waiting to hear his response, she turns to the group and shouts out.

"Everyone! Talk to your neighbor about what just happened! Try to be as detailed as possible, or your memories will be taken from you! Please, this is important!"

After a moment's thought, she turns back to Unulaq with a puzzled look clouding her features. "Wait.....the shaman? Aglakti? She is dead?" She voice cracks as she says it. Obviously this piece of news was affecting her greatly.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:43 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Chief Kalituk puts his hand on Tornuaq’s shoulder and eyes the Norseman

Good work son… You say this white skinned man helped you kill his own kin? Hmmmmph!

He then picks up the skin and looks at the symbol seemingly burned into the Ilijiraat’s flesh. He hands it to Yuralria. Kalituk then thrusts his spear into one of the dead Ilijiraat at his feet and turns the creature over. The dead wolf bears the same symbol on his belly.

What do you make of this Shaman? Have you seen this mark before?

oc – Yuralria has a nasty bite on her neck.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:29 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq shrugged to the question posed to him. Was that what he forgot? He looked to Tornuaq and asked, "Did we fight more of these?"

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:42 am
by trixie
Yuralria looks at the scrap of leather thoughtfully, furrowing her brow as she thinks on the symbol.

"Yes I have, although not for long. I was given a book that I saw this symbol in. But...I don't know what it means. I suppose I could find out if I were left be for a bit."

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:08 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiled as Chief Kalituk put his hand on his shoulder, "Yes he did! Thorrin was a great help to me, while I fought off one he fought the other and when I killed the first I helped him to kill the second. If I had to face both at the same time I probably would have been killed. We need to help him to recover, we need to know more of these Norsemen. Unalaq and I fought four and one escaped, I am sure there will be more coming."

Then Tornuaq turned to Unalaq and said, "I remember that you had a mighty deed and that I could merely watch but it seems more like a dream I had and I do not remember any real details about it. You had your spear and we were on a beach, I think the Belugas were there but I do not know for sure." Tornuaq tried to think hard about the Belugas and realized that he seemed to have a gap in his memory. "Although I do not seem to recall part of our day."

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:42 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Yeah, the most momentous occasion in my role-playing history... rolling two 1's in a row... and ironically forced to forget it in character. Very mean, Mr. Keeper.

Unalaq shrugged and said "Me too. I do not remember fighting on the beach, but something nags at me deep within... something inside me says I was in a battle." He laughed slightly looking to Tornuaq and said, "It must not have been anything too dangerous. We were not hurt from it."

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:19 pm
by trixie
"The Ijiraat wish us to not reach the mountain. One of them told me so. What is on the mountain that they are keeping us from? It would be important. Tornuaq, Unulaq, can you remember?"

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:57 am
by Andrew
"I don't think we were hurt because you were so aggressive, I remember... somewhat not doing anything, I feel ashamed for it." Tornuaq stated and then looked at Yuralria and said, "The knife wanted us to go into the mountains, showed me where I needed to go even but did not tell me what was there. I don't remember any Ijiraat though, I'd would have hated to fight one of them because they're so evil and they steal your memories... hey wait."

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:54 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq responded "Whatever is in the mountains ... it would be madness to try to get it this time of year. They are unpassible, merciless things when the winds are blowing and the snow is flying. That is why I got rid of the knife. It would have been suicide to go where it demanded."

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:11 am
by DSIGFUSS
Qannaq begins to gather all the dead sled dogs into a single pile. Faroo helps him, leaving the discussion to the more hardened members of the Dorset tribe. In hard times the dogs wouldn't be wasted but they would be rushed and could not possibly sled them all back to the village.

Chief Kalituk simply listens to the conversation unfold... looking over to Thorrin often.

Maniitok nods his agreement with Unualaq.

You made the right choice brother... to throw the knife away. I am shamed that I was not there at your side to help you through those difficult times. You were both wise to send me away. I could not control my temper. Please forgive me!

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:55 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq ignores his injuries for the time being. There were far more people who were injured far worse than himself. So he began helping with the cleanup of the corpses.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:21 pm
by trixie
Yuralria looks puzzled, "Wait, a knife? A knife told you to go into the mountains? Was this knife magical, do you think?"

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:55 pm
by Andrew
"I would say so, it spoke to whoever held it and tried to get them to go into the mountains. I wouldn't say magical but cursed for sure." Tornuaq stated as he too began to help with cleaning up.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:21 am
by ImpInTraining
After helping clean up the corpses, Unalaq went over closer to Yuralria and Chief Kalituk and said, "I would like to speak with both of you privately."

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:26 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq frowned slightly, he did not like keeping secrets and wondered what Unalaq had to say that he could not say with himself around. He decided that whatever it was, it was in the best interest of the tribe as Unalaq had always thought that way.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:48 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Chief Kalituk watched his people dispose of the dead and offers a tribute to Sedna with a song… that he sings proudly atop the highest snow drift.

I sing to you Sedna….
Keep watch over our dead
Keep them warm.
Keep them full.
Keep them peaceful.

I sing to you Sedna….
Keep watch over your people.
Keep us warm.
Keep us full.
Keep us peaceful.

I sing to you Sedna….
Keep watch over our enemies.
Keep them warm.
Keep them full.
Let there be peace.

Chief Kalituk then takes an audience with Unulaq. The two speak for a short time before calling Yuralria to his side next to the fire.

OC – please respond to my pm Imp and Trixie.

Meanwhile…

Maniitok approaches Tornuaq and looks at him with great concern.

You think they are talking about you and the Norseman. I can see it in your step little brother. Do not fear. They only want what is best for you Tornuaq. We all do.

Maniitok smiles and then looks down at the unconscious Thorrin.

Tell me more about the Norseman. You say he fought with you against his own people. Who would do such a thing?

Maniitok holds up his hand and motions for Ogtuk- Luk (excluded from the private meeting between Yuralria, Unulaq and Chief Kalituk) to come closer and examine the Norseman with him.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:28 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq did not like where this was going, if Chief Kalituk, Unalaq and Yuralria really were discussing the Norseman and himself and now Maniitok and Ogtuk-Luk were now by Thoriin it seemed to Tornuaq as if there would be more blood spilt. He stepped in closer to Thoriin and gripped the hilt of his sword, ready to defend the unconscious Norseman should he need to, he would not kill his brothers but he was not going to let them harm a man that possibly saved his own life.

"He did fight against his own people Maniitok, his reasons are his own, especially since I do not know what he says. I owe this man my life and so does Unalaq, if Thoriin hadn't helped me then I would not have been able to help Unalaq, however... the other Norsemen actually did attack Thoriin. I do not recall the particulars but I believe that the one Norseman ran right for Thoriin." Tornuaq stated and then added, "I will guarantee it had to do with the knife that Unalaq..."

Tornuaq stopped and his face became bright red in anger. "Unalaq did not throw out that knife! He lied and kept it!" Tornuaq suddenly felt a rage burn through him as his suspicions were suddenly brought to light.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:40 am
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok can see the inner turmail burning in Tornuaq's eyes and lowers his head as Tornuaq puts a hand on the Viking blade. He puts an hand on his shoulder and speaks softly to his friend.

You need not fear me brother.... I will follow your judgement on the white man. His fate will be in your hands alone for you saved his life. The Chief will have to see this. His life belongs to you and to Unulaq. I do fear that the paranoia of his people has had its effect on you brother. That quality which drives them to war has infected your mind Tornuaq. I fear for your heart.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:43 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq turned to Maniitok and released the grip on the sword. "It is not my heart you should fear for but yours and those you love. If these Norseman come back and I know they will, we are all in grave danger." Tornuaq then sat on the snow and looked at Thoriin but he still spoke to Maniitok, "He was under the curse of the knife, I know it, his brothers attacked him to get the knife. I know why Unalaq took it from me and I understand why he kept it and why he speaks to the chief and witch alone. I know that at one point, had I believed he still had it I would have attacked him for it, Unalaq is wise." He then looked up at Maniitok with a small smile, "One day Unalaq will be chief, I can see that."

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:51 am
by DSIGFUSS
After speaking in hushed voices with Yuralria and Unulaq, Chief Kalituk holds up his hands...

Cover the dead... we will return for them later... Tether the dogs to as few sleds as we can... We must hurry back to the village... We leave as soon as we can.

He then turns to Yuralria.

Do what you can for the dead Shaman. We must hurry.

The Chief walks over to the sled dogs to assess the damage.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:56 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq heads out to check the dogs on Tornuaq and Unalaq's sleds and make sure they're ready to continue onward... having had the opportunity to rest, and feed. Then he heads over to help with the dead bodies, covering them up with snow and ice.

Any blood-stained snow in the clearing, he takes the opportunity to cover that up as well.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:11 am
by trixie
Yuralria takes the extra blankets from the sleds, and covers each body up, chanting over each one her spell of protection and peaceful rest. The gods would keep the bodies safe until the villagers had time to properly bury them and pray.

Yuralria wondered where Alornerk had gotten to, and kept a watchful, worried eye on the dogs laying in the snow. She tried to whistle occasionally, knowing Alornerk would come if she were alive to her call.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:42 pm
by Eskimohermit
Ogtuk-luk moves over to Yuralria now that there conversation is finished.
May I be of help with the dead.
He still feels the sting of guilt for letting get injured in the fight.The sight of the strange pale man puts him on edge.
He longs for the hunt.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:31 am
by trixie
Yuralria looks up from kneeling over the dead body of Anuniaq, a fellow villager and strong hunter of the cariboo. Her eyes seem to look right through Ogtuk-Luk for a moment, as though she doesn't recognize him, before she finally snaps to.

"Anuniaq's wife would want me to return this," she says, as she reveals his arrowhead necklace. "It was a gift from the chief many moons ago for a successful hunt. It is difficult to think they are gone, and so quickly taken by the Ijiraat. I hope they don't steal our memories as well, so that we may still relay the details of their heroism to their wives and families."

She stands and takes another painful glance at the mutilated bodies, some of them already covered with blankets. "We should check them before covering them...for things such as these." She indicates the necklace of Unaniaq's, slips it into her pocket, then passes half of the remaining blankets to him, stooping again to inspect the next body. Her hands check any pockets for herbs and other things each one would have carried. She will take anything helpful, as well as any sort of necklace to give to the wives. I'll have a terrible time explaining it to them...we were to leave for the hunt tomorrow....

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:24 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq helps out with covering the dead, he looks at the faces of brothers he'll never see again in this world and frowns as memories come flooding back to him about each one of them, it was always hard when a brother died unexpectedly but mass deaths like this was almost unheard of to them. When things became more normal for the Dorset Tribe, hunters with experience would have to work now that much harder to ensure that the tribe survived.

After the dead were covered and the dogs were rearranged on the sleds, Tornuaq went over to Thoriin and checked on him before they took off.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:44 am
by trixie
Yuralria silently motions to Ogtuk-luk to follow her after they finish with the dead. She moves away from the circle, so that they will not be overheard.

O.C. Did Alornerk come to Yuralria's whistle?

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:55 am
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin seemed in pretty bad shape. He responds to Tornuaq, however, and opens his eyes for a few seconds before closing them again. He tries to speak....

Tornaq minn vinur....

Thorrin drifts off mumbling.

minn vinur........

oc- Yuralria. roll luck. :evil:

oc - My first post tomorrow morning will take place back at the village. If you need to settle anything before then.. Now is your chance. The ilijiraat battle seems pretty wrapped up... nice work!

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:00 am
by trixie
O.C. Luck :cry:
Spoiler:
Why am I intimidated by that rotten smilie of yours?

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:01 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq approached Tornuaq as he checked on Thorrin. "He might not make it to our home." He suggested, "We should see if they can do anything for him before we get on the move again."

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:24 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq nodded and went over to see Yuralria. "Before we leave, our pale friend is gravely injured, is there anything you can do to help him before we leave? Unalaq and I both agree that he probably will not survive the trip home."

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:11 am
by trixie
Yuralria looks startled at Tornuaq, as though she'd forgotten all about the stranger amongst them. She silently nods her head and goes to join the pair by his side.

O.C. Where is Thorrin hurt?

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:43 am
by DSIGFUSS
OC - Thorrin has a nasty wound in his gut and shulder as well as a huge lump on his head. I'm assuming you heal him. That's three healing spells Yuralria has cast and three sanity loss. Any more healing and your sanity loss will double. All those other injured Dorset will have to wait unless you don't mind the sanity loss. When you heal Thorrin his wounds close and his fever immediately drops. Just like Fraqanaq, he remains unconscious. He should make a full recover with proper rest.

OC - Alornek was set free by Qannaq and avoided the ijiraat attack.

OC - I'm gonna move you guys along now so if you have any unresolved issues here, please pm me and the player you are speaking with. Thanks!!!

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:52 am
by DSIGFUSS
The survivors of the Dorset hunting party arrive back at the village around 9pm. As they pull their sled dogs into the village center, heads start poking out of huts and igloos. Soon the whole village is alive with scattered movement. It’s obvious that the purpose of the Dorset’s journey had spread like wildfire through the village after Chief Kalituk and his warriors had departed to assist Unulaq and Tornuaq. The villagers begin to fire questions at no one in particular. Some of the women, obviously mother’s or wives of the dead; begin to panic as they search the horizon for more incoming sleds.

Where are the Belugas? Where is Dugnu? Is this the white man? Is he a devil or spirit? Where are the other sleds? Whose blood is that? Where is Gaginuq?

Chief Kalituk ignores them and pushes through the crowd. He marches into the elder’s hut whose fire is already lit, obviously expecting the visit.

Qannaq’s wife and daughters exchange loving embraces before Qannaq leads them all away to the peace and warmth of his own igloo. His daughters wiggle and wobble behind Qannaq, casting smiles and giggles over their shoulder towards Unulaq and Tornuaq. Qannaq’s daughters are fat and both have large child bearing hips like their mother. They will make excellent wives some day.

Sashila (Maniitok's sister) makes her way through the crowd and hugs her brother tightly. She then extends the same courtesy to Unulaq and Tornuaq, hugging each warmly in turn. Sashila was slender and fit for a Dorset woman. She was sure to succeed Aglakti as the village Shaman, but when Aglakti began to see the Shadow Bear and was forced to leave the village, Yuralria, who was older than Sashila, was trained in Sashila's place. Sashila carried a look of great relief for her brother’s safe return but seemed to keep closer to Tornuaq as the greeting wore down.

You found them Maniitok. I was so worried. What a wonderful tale you two must have. Were there really a hundred Belugas beached on the ice. I wish I was there with you. How brave you must have been Tornuaq.

Sashila holds Tornuaq’s hands in her own. She stares bright eyed up at Tornuaq and pays Unulaq very little attention. (for a change)

Where are all the others Tornuaq? Why have you returned with so few hunters?

Meanwhile, all the villagers give Yuralria and Ugtuk-Luk a wide berth as they brought their sleds to a hault. Most of the villagers fear the Shaman and when Yuralria was chosen by Aglakti to succeed, she lost many of her female friends and her male admirers. The only Dorset to even approach the Shaman was Fraqanaq’s mother who did so with tear soaked eyes. She gently picked up he her son and thanked Yuralria for all her care. She then carried Fraqanaq back to her tent so she could further care for her son. None of the Dorset give Ogtuk-Luk a second glance. Sometimes Ogtuk-Luk thinks the Dorset people fear the Shaman’s protector more than they fear the Shaman herself. This could be true. It is not until the families of the dead realize their loved ones are not amongst the returning sleds that they express an interest in the Shaman.

Where is my husband Shaman. Where is my son? Where are they? Why are they not with you?

They quickly begin to crowd Yuralria, separating her from Ogtuk-Luk and pulling wildly in their terrified panic at her furs and hair.

Where is my son? Where is my husband?

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:16 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiled warmly back at Sashila and suddenly he felt euphoric gazing in her eyes, his smile broadened and he was about to happily tell her the tale of the Belugas when he heard the commotion of the villagers and suddenly saw what they were doing to the shaman. He ran over to a rock and stood upon it to be seen by the village and yelled in a voice as loud as thunder, "They are dead! Killed by a Ijiraat! They fought bravely and died like true warriors. Now release Yuralria and let her pass!"

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:21 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq smiled to Tornuaq and shook his head... "Tell her your tale. I'll see to the dogs and Thorrin."

He eyed the Shaman, Yuralria, sympathically as she was mobbed and was glad he had an easy task. He started with Thorrin, carefully unbinding him from the sled and carrying the man into his igloo. He lived alone there, and there was room for one more easily... so Unalaq would see that he was comfortable and warm while he recovered. He still believed to learn how to speak their tongue was paramount in survival of what was to come.

After Thorrin was placed on the empty bed and covered with a spare fur, Unalaq went back out to remove the dogs from the sled, feed and water them.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:08 am
by trixie
Yuralria backs away from the clambering grasps, wincing in pain as they pull at her hair. She raises her hands silently, eyes pleading with the crowd to quit.

Once they'd settled, she slips her leather pouch over her head and opens it, revealing Ununiaq's arrowhead necklace. She looks it over once again, running her hands over it, then rests her gaze on his wife, Ahnah. Her eyes show the pain she feels and the sorrow she shares with his wife. Yuralria never knew him like Ahnah did, but still, he was an important figure in the village's life. He was a man that would always have two or three kills following him on the sleds behind, and his skill was known among their neighboring tribes as well. He was a man that all the hunters strived to be like, and now he was dead.

Yuralria's tears spill down her cheeks as she raises the pendant in the air and rests it in Ahnah's hands.

"He died valiantly."

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:18 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Ununiaq's wife Anhah of 13 years accepts the necklace from Yuralria and begins to weep and pray along with all of the other Dorset villagers who lost their husband or son in Ijiraat attack. They all give the Shaman the space and respect she deserves and disperse to mourn for their lost loved ones.

Sashila stares wide eyed up at Tornuaq and she too begins to cry for the dead. When the crowd disperses and Tornuaq climbs down from his speaking stone, Sashila hugs him tightly.

Oh Tornuaq…. Was it the white man… Did he bring all of this evil to our people?

The few Dorset males left behind grip their spears in hand till their knuckles turn white. It isn’t very often the Dorset people express true anger, but the Ijiraat’s villainy has sparked such an emotion in the Dorset warriors that they cry out for vengeance. Luckily Unualq had brought Thorrin into his hut for he hears shouting.

The white man did this. The ijiraat are peaceful. The white man turned them against us! Kill the white man! Send the white man away!!

Thorrin stirs and opens his eyes. He turns his head towards the shouting and then he looks back to Unulaq.

White man! Thorrin white man. Unulaq fólk hatur Thorrin. hatur white man

He says, pointing to his chest. Its obvious Thorrin has been listening and feels as Unulaq feels; that learning each other’s language is very important in this delicate time.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:39 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq roars, "ENOUGH!" He then moves in front of Unalaq's igloo and draws his sword, his viking sword and brandishes it in front of the crowd. "The 'white man' has a name and it is Thoriin. He saved my life and Unalaq's life and I will cut down anyone who attempts to harm him! He is a friend and no one will lay a hand on him!" Tornuaq never thought that he would stand against the entire Dorset tribe with violence hanging in the air.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:36 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq shook his head looking sadly to the white-skinned man. He said slowly and using plenty of miming "My people," shaking his hands toward the voices "... Inuit." He nods and repeats again "Inuit." He pointed to Thorrin, "Your people ... Vikings."

"Inuit fight..." he grabbed his spear and jumped up stabbing at his shadow. "Many die..." he fell down onto his bed of furs.

"Inuit think..." he pointed to his head, "Vikings evil." He stood high and stretched his hands up looking as much like a ferocious bear as he could manage.

Sitting down beside Thorrin, "What is this?" He held his spear out before him. "Inuit ... spear."

After getting the equivalent Viking word he nods... and goes on to another word, "What is this?" He holds out a stone knife. "Inuit ... knife".

After getting the equivalent Viking word he nods and smiles. It was going well. Now for something tricky. He took the knife and scratched into the ice surface of his home, "What is this?" and etched:

He followed it with, "Inuit ..." and shrugged his shoulders, hands to the air with a look of wonder on his face.

"Unalaq think," pointing to his head, then pointed to the sign etched on the floor, "Evil. Inuit fight Evil." He stabbed the symbol with the stone knife. "Many die."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:03 am
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin smiles, thoroughly enjoying himself as Unulaq makes his dramitic motions. His smile quickly fades when Unualq shows Thorrin the symbol. He reaches out for his Viking sword and stabs the ground, pointing at the symbol.

Loki!

He then looks up to the sky and holds out his hands.

Loki! .....Viking drotinn!

He then closes his eyes trying to remember the word.

Chief drotinn!

Odin chief drotinn!

Thorrin then shapes his two fingers into a walking man and moves them along the floor.

Loki!

Thorrin points to his walking fingers and repeats the word.

Loki.

Thorrin then makes another set of walking fingers and calls them Vikings.

He then has the first set of fingers walk in front while the second set of fingers follows closely behind.

Vikings fylgja Loki

He then makes the same fingers and calls them Odin and calls the other walking fingers Thorrin.

Thorrin fylgja Odin.

Odin godur...

Thorrn godur...

Unulaq godur...

Loki vondur....

Thorrin stabs the ground again.

Loki evil.....

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:15 am
by DSIGFUSS
Outside Unulaq's hut, the villagers stare blankly at Tornuaq. Most of them quickly back down. One Dorset warrior left behind speaks his mind bravely, moving to the front of the mob. His name is Arrluk and he was a great hunter before he fell ill to a powerful sickness that ravaged his lungs and weakened his heart. His will was still strong and the Dorset people respected Arrluk's words.

Then why would the Ijiraat make such a bold move against our peeople Tornuaq. Why would they kill when for so long they have kept to themselves? Tell me this?

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:21 am
by Andrew
"I do not know Arrluk, I am not an Ijiraat. I do know that Thoriin could have killed me or Unalaq when we were riding on the sleds though. I know that he helped fight against his own people to help me and Unalaq." Tornuaq stopped and sheathed his sword and walked over to Arrluk and placed a hand upon his shoulder. "Brother, I am not saying that all the white men are good, all I am saying is that Thoriin is good, he is a good natured man and if his skin were like ours he would fit in with us. Thoriin is godur... that is their word for good... I think, other white men may not be so."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:50 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq nodded with a smile of understanding, slapped the man friendly on his shoulder and stood to leave the igloo. It was time to face the croud and try to ease things over.

He stepped out beside Tornuaq and nodded to his close friend then turned to face the croud as he tried to explain the answers to what everyone was wondering.

"I think I have discovered what is truly to blame for all of our strife. Thorrin has confided in me that they have at least two gods, one named Odin who is apparently the chief god, and another named Loki. He said the Vikings that were attacking us follow Loki, and Loki is evil. He says that he follows Odin, and Odin represents good. I showed the symbol we found on those creatures we fought earlier, and he said it was the sign of Loki. So the Ijiraat are not to blame... and not all Vikings we come across will be a threat to us. I must tell our Chief." He looked to the tribe members standing around and listening and implored to them, "This man Thorrin is different from us - but still a man. He is nothing to fear. He can help us... so please do not cause him harm."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:46 am
by trixie
Yuralria looks up from her spot with the newly widowed wives in startled shock. Were they talking about Loki? They really know him??

She disperses the last few necklaces, trying to not appear too hurried with her demeanor, then nods to the remaining women and crosses the village grounds to meet with Unulaq.

She speaks in hushed tones, with curious, piercing eyes, "Loki? I have met him Unulaq. What is this about him being evil?"

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:28 am
by ImpInTraining
"You met Loki?" Unalaq questioned looking somewhat shocked. Of course she did, she is a shaman after all. That's what they do. "It is what Thorrin told me in what little conversation we could manage. The sign on the creatures... they were Loki's sign."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:10 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq nodded his head in understanding, "Loki" he repeated, and then he looked at Unalaq and asked, "So if this Loki is a god and an evil one at that, why have they come here? Does it have something to do with the mountain the knife wanted me to go to?"

Then Tornuaq went over to Sashila and held her hands. "See... Thoriin is not evil but the people who follow this Loki are, so do not worry your pretty face, we will fight back this evil and bring peace to the Dorset Village once again." Tornuaq only wish he felt as confident as his words.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:13 pm
by trixie
Yuralria looks hot around the collar at Unulaq's loud response...and then Tornuaq too....

She fidgets, having not meant for anyone to overhear them. "Ssssh!!!" she says forcibly to the pair of them. "What'll the villagers think if you speak too loudly of such things?!!" She whispers, then motions Unulaq into a nearby hut.

Once they are by themselves, she leans in to continue their conversation in private......

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:29 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Seems like Tornuaq gets left out of everything here. :(

Tornuaq looks at Yuralria and shrugs, "Let the villagers hear, they'll at least know what's coming instead of being blindsided."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Arrluk nods to Tornuaq and listens carefully to Unulaq’s words. The Dorset people were all brothers and sisters when push came to shove. Disagreements were common but their fellowship would not be broken by something as unfamiliar as a white-faced stranger.

Very well then Unulaq... Tornuaq… If this white man gave help to you when you were in need, then we are all in his debt. We will let the elders decide what to do with him. I am just thankful you have returned to us safely. Please forgive us… We spoke with anger in our hearts and spears in our hands… That is not our way.

Meanwhile Maniitok speaks with Ugtuk-Luk in private.

oc- Ogtuk-Luk please check pms
oc - Sashila will speak to Tornuaq in private. You'll probably like what she has to say. :D

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:47 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq looked curiously at the upset shaman as she led the way into the nearby hut. He didn't see what the big deal was. He looked over to Tornuaq and shrugged, "The Inuit have a right to know what is responsible for the deaths of their family, do you agree?" He looked back at his igloo where Thorrin lied within, nearly helpless, and said "At least they can focus their anger on the ones that deserve it, and not kill a strange visitor just because he is different."

Once inside the hut, he looked to Yuralria expectantly awaiting what ever it was she had to say to him.

ooc: PMs?

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:14 am
by DSIGFUSS
oc - yes pm's. wait for Andrew to post though to see how he reacts. all pm's should be addressed to the keeper and all those involved in the private conversation.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:02 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq smiled at Arrluk and nodded his agreement, he could understand about the anger over the deaths of the warriors, he too was angry as well but he at least had a larger understanding of what was going on, however... until Unalaq came back, Tornuaq would stand guard in front of Unalaq's igloo... just in case.

When Unalaq spoke of the people's rights and where they should direct their anger, Tornuaq slowly nodded his head in agreement as well, their people should not be kept in the dark, secrets should not be kept from them, that only bred mistrust... no wonder the shamans were view the way they were, shrouded in mystery.

As Unalaq went off Tornuaq cleared his throat loudly and caught Unalaq's eye. It was a brief exchange but from the look Tornuaq gave Unalaq, it was known that he would not move from the entrance of the igloo until Unalaq returned, had they not grown up together, hunted together and fought together, the look might have gone unnoticed or misconstrued.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:47 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq returned a quick smile and nod to Tornuaq before disappearing into the hut.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:05 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq looked back at Unalaq and Image
DSIGFUSS wrote:oc - Sashila will speak to Tornuaq in private. You'll probably like what she has to say. :D
Where's my PM then? Hmmm? Image

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:56 am
by DSIGFUSS
Sashila stays close to Tornuaq and watches the hut closely. Neither can hear what is being said as no voices have yet been raised. Tornuaq spots Maniitok whispering with the Shaman's protector Ogtuk-Luk. Maniitok catches his eye and approaches.

We must begin to carve spears Tornuaq. For the Vikings and for the Ijiraat. The council will take too long to make their decisions. If we are attaked again, we will not survive.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:43 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq came out of the hut that he and Yuralria had entered, looking somewhat cross. Thereafter, he made a direct path for the Chief's hut with a sense of purpose.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:43 pm
by Andrew
DSIGFUSS wrote:oc - Sashila will speak to Tornuaq in private. You'll probably like what she has to say. :D
Where's my PM then? Hmmm? Image

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:43 am
by DSIGFUSS
oc - Ok everybody is in private threads right now whispering their secrets.... please wait til I post before you post back in these threads once your pms are done. It will be quick.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:01 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq has left the hut that he and Yuralria were speaking in... and Yuralria followed close behind still talking with him. It doesn't appear that Unalaq was too interested in continuing a conversation though. Suddenly, he stops and points at his hut while speaking privately to Yuralria.

He looks over to Tornuaq and whistles to get his attention. "If Yuraalria wants in to speak with Thorrin, by all means, let her. But do not leave Thorrin alone with anyone." He then turns on heel again and continues his march - it looks like he's heading toward the chief's hut with a sense of purpose.

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:05 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok nods to Tornuaq.

Everything will be fine… I will begin the preparations myself. Look after your friend. I hope the council will allow Thorrin to stay with us…. If he has indeed turned on his own people, he could be very helpful if they return for more blood… Then again, what if they return and wage war just for him. It is a difficult decision and I am truly glad it is not mine to make. I will support you though Tornuaq in whatever you decide.

Maniitok puts his hand over his heart and then begins to gather a few of the remaining hunters. They all head to Ogtuk-Luk’s hut. The hunters seem to be excited they have simply been included.

Outside, the villagers have lost the air of anger and hatred that had been hovering over the entire village. Now they were all tangled up in the drama. Some followed Yuralria and Unulaq as they marched to the Elder’s hut having a seemingly hushed heated discussion. (I’m assuming you meant the Elder’s hut cuz that’s where Chief Kalituk is) Others followed Maniitok and the Dorset men he had chosen to help him in Ogtuk-Luk’s hut. And some (mostly women) stayed close to Tornuaq, smiling at Sashila and giggling whenever they met eyes with Tornuaq. Others simply lingered and looked to Unualaq’s tent (Where Thorrin is kept) with renewed wonder.

Chief Kalituk had been speaking with the elders since he returned. If the Dorset people were going to war, the Elders had to approve. The Elders all gathered in the same hut, day after day, and discussed tribal issues. Their concerns were usually for the hunt or the winter storage or whether or not a new couple was fit for marriage. The Elder’s hut was the largest structure in the Dorset village and during ceremonious times, most of the village could squeeze in. The last time the hut was used for council was with the Thule. The Dorset Elders decided to trade the hunting rights of the inlet (Where Unulaq, Tornuaq and Maniitok found the Belugas) for the right to hunt the caribou deep into Thule territory. (Unulaq and Tornuaq were being naughty Eskimos hunting on newly traded land) After the trade, the Elders threw one hell of a party.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:57 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq nodded his understanding to Unalaq, he had no intention of letting anyone in alone with Thorrin but it wasn't really the time to bring up these details. Instead he watched as Maniitok and the other hunters went off to make spears and he frowned slightly wishing he were around the fire with his brothers making spears, talking and reliving exciting moments of a hunt.

As the women stood around him, he smiled to each but said little and did his best to directly avoid their gaze, it was Sashila he was interested in but even now he almost wished she'd go away as well. He wanted to go in and check on Thoriin but not when so many people were about and he didn't want to leave Sashila's side either.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:46 am
by trixie
Yuralria scowls a bit at Unulaq as she walks away from him, and heads across the village. She doesn't say a word to anyone, rather she whistles loudly for Alornerk and heads directly for her hut, making way to avoid Unulaq's hut and the rest of the villagers.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:02 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq continued on to the elders' meeting place and knocked (or whistled, or tap-danced... whatever it is they do to introduce themselves at the door) awaiting permission to enter.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:13 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OC – there is no formality with the elders. Anyone, man woman or child is free to enter the elders hut. If they don’t wish to see you, you will be asked politely to leave.

Unulaq enters the elder’s hut. It is a large tented structure lined with various skins and decorated with intricate bone carvings. A large fire is always lit in the center of the hut and the four elders sit on mats near the far eastern wall. Bone pots tied to Narwhale tusks are filled with burning scented oils that illuminate the elder’s faces. The elders have no rank amongst themselves and each elder’s opinion counts for the same. Chief Kalituk is standing in front of the elders holding his chieftain’s spear. When Unualaq first entered, Kalituk was shouting, but he quickly quiets himself when Unualaq storms in. He looks upset for a moment and then smiles when he sees Unualaq.

This is the hunter I was speaking of Elders. He is brave and will shed much light on these troubled times.

ooc – Go to pms again now please Imp so you can speak with the elders and Chief Kalituk in private.

The crowd hovering around Tornuaq and Sashila begins to lose interest as the evening progresses. It is almost time for bed in the village and there is much to do. Especially for those who have lost loved ones during the Ijiraat attack. Mothers and wives must gather stones to cover their lost loved ones. In this case, the dead were left behind, so the families will have to make do and perform what rites they think appropriate.
Some of the crowd lingers outside the elder’s hut, eager for news from the chief. Sashila wishes Tornuaq well as her father calls her to return home leaving Tornuaq alone with Thorrin.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:08 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq stood there alone in the dark sadly watching the image of Sashila disappear into the night. He then turned his attention back to his surrounding area making sure no one came towards the tent.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:38 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq keeps watch over Unulaq’s hut as Thorrin rests peacefully inside. The village has all but cleared itself of any stragglers. He stares up at the sky as it begins to snow. Good news to Tornuaq’s eyes. The Viking archer that had escaped, during the assault on the Dorset brothers, could have easily led the rest of the Vikings back to the village by following their tracks through the snow. The fresh snowfall will make it that much more difficult. Of course, as a hunter himself, Tornuaq knew the tracks could be followed back to the village if the tracker was skilled and took his time.

A fresh snowflake lands on Tornuaq’s nose and it seems to melt away his anxieties. The night was quiet and he was finally awarded some peace. Then as if on cue, Tornuaq hears Thorin call out, his voice shaky and clearly frightened.

Ekki the hnífur! Tornuaq er minn vinur! Thoknast don’t drepa hann Melkorka!

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:47 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq sighs deeply and ducks inside the tent, he really wished he knew what Thoriin was saying. "What is it Thoriin? What is so urgent?" Tornuaq stated putting his hands in the air in a confused state and shaking his head.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:51 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq leaves the elder’s hut and feels a glimpse of disturbing familiarity to the scene. The stillness of the air, the cold, the silence, the smell of fresh herbs and boiling blubber drifting from each of the village huts as they prepared themselves for the long night ahead. It reminded him of something….. something close.

Unualaq stops to ponder the feeling for a brief moment when he hears screaming coming from his hut. He spots Tornuaq darting in just after the screaming starts. Thorrin is in trouble.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:55 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq wastes no time rushing over to his hut and entering within, his bone club in hand, ready for the worst.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:32 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq hears Tornuaq call for help just as he bursts into the hut.

Unulaq, Maniitok!

It’s difficult to understand what is actually happening. In the light of the fire, Unualaq sees Thorin floating in midair as Tornuaq desperately tries to hold him down. The Viking’s clothes are being shredded before his eyes. Tornuaq draws his new Viking Blade and begins to wave it through the air at nothing. As Unualaq enters the hut, Tornuaq stares dumbfounded at his brother before he finally regains his composure.

OC- Sanity Check 0/1d4

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:49 am
by ImpInTraining
Sanity check (53%) (1d100=52)

Unalaq can hardly believe his eyes... but after everything else that's happened over the past couple days, is this really so far fetched?

He says to Tornuaq, "Keep him down... I will get the Shaman!"

He turns about and exits his hut to run full sprint into Yularia's own, not waiting for permission to enter.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:30 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq arrives at Yuralria‘s hut and bursts in. The Shaman is deep in meditation, her legs crossed and her eyes closed tight. Bundled herbs and clay pots filled with colorful powders smoke and fizzle all around her, filling the room with a musty pungent odor. She doesn’t seem to notice Unulaq enter the Shaman’s hut.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:17 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq physically shakes Yuralria out of her trance, "Come quick! Thorrin's being attacked!"

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:25 am
by DSIGFUSS
Yuralria is completely unresponsive for the first few seconds Unulaq shakes her. Her eyes then suddenly pop wide open.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:43 am
by trixie
Yuralria opens her eyes with a start and stares at Unulaq, mystified for a moment. She blinks once, twice, then looks up at him, confused. "Waaahh??!"

"Unulaq! What is it??" She stands, somewhat unbalanced, tottering for a moment, then seeming to regain her composure. Without waiting for his response, she continues, "Yes, Thorrin....I remem.....er..I...uh....take me to where he is!" Her eyes flicker for a moment, avoiding his glance, then she grabs one of her pots of blessed ashes, and a few sticks with bones tied to them, and bolts for the door.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:09 am
by Andrew
OOC: I just suddenly realized that we're like the characters from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Yuralria being Nynaeve the Wisdom, Unulaq would be Rand and Tornuaq Mat... damn, if I wasn't reading the books I'd have never of made the connection... Carry on.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:42 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq leads Yuralria to his hut and lets her enter first, "Right in here... he's floating, and being attacked by something."

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:56 am
by DSIGFUSS
Unualq and Yuralria enter the tent and find Thorrin on the ground, his arms in front of his face sa if he were protecting himself from something. He stares at his hands in wide eyed terror. Tornuaq has his sword drawn and his arms stetched out in front of him as well, looking down at his own arms in horrified disgust.

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:24 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq rushed over next to Thorrin and tried to get a feel for if the assault was still happening.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:20 am
by trixie
Yuralria looks around wide-eyed as they enter, trying to make sense of the situation in front of her. She puts her hands up in motion to Unulaq to stop in the doorway, and strides into the tent herself.

Yuralria begins to chant and sing, pulling handfuls of ash from her pot and sprinkling it in a wide circle around the perimeter of the hut. She closes her eyes as she sings, "Hmm....hey hey......awaho....hey hey.....hmmmmm....lokay awatoo simpay....hmmm.....hey...hey....qaluk....qintuk.....awatoo....hmm....hey hey...." As the circle becomes complete, the dust begins to rise, creating a grey curtain of ash suspended in the air. Yuralria takes her stick in hand, raising it high over her head and shaking it vigorously so that the bones rattle. With her hands over her head, she continues her chant, and for the first time it seems as though she is controlling the ash itself. The dust curtain begins to move, swirling this way and that, becoming thicker and somehow engulfs Thorrin and Tornuaq within it. "Hmmm....hey...hey....lokay awatoo...simpay...hmm....hey...hey......lokay AWATOO SIMPAY!!" Yuralria's voice gets more and more loud and forceful, her eyes for the first time opening to watch the results of her difficult task. She shouts the last few words and upon it, the curtain rises up, seemingly possessed, and clings to the air thickly.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:17 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq can’t get a sense of what’s happening quite yet. Thorrin doesn’t appear to be in any immediate danger and Tornuaq seems so out of it, he barely notices Yuralria and Unulaq burst into the hut. He just continues to stare blankly at his arms and hands.

Yuralria casts her spell and both Unualaq and the Shaman would swear they heard squeeling; like air escaping from a fire pit. The sound quickly fades as the ashes from Yuralria’s incantation cover the room, floating and settling on everything in sight. For a brief moment the three three Eskimos and the Viking feel strangely connected within Yuralria’s circle. Emotions flit from one person to the next bouncing through the ash like pebbles in a river. Noone is spared and everyone's most initimate surface thoughts are exposed.

Thorrin collapses in his delirious exhaustion before shouting in seemingly perfect Inuit.

Fuck your mother Loki! You trickster devil. You’ll never have the last rune! I swear it! By Odin I swear it!

oc – Everyone please honestly describe your character’s feelings towards each of the other three characters in the hut covered in Yuralria’s ash. Please include one short descriptive sentence for each character.

ie

Thorrin feels towards Tornuaq: A great sadness / A strong bond of brotherly love / Fearful

Thorrin feels towards Unulaq: The Respect he would show his captain / A growing fellowship / Fearful

Thorrin feels towards Yuralria: An intellectual curiosity / A strange attraction / Fearful

oc sorry Yuralria. Had to modify your spell effect a bit; sorry. In the future it would be best if you describe the spell itself and not what happens. I love all the chanting. That was great. Just end with the chanting and say what spell you are casting. If you arfe searching for a desired effect such as making spirits visible to the naked eye, then send me a pm that you are trying to do so. We’ll find common ground somewhere. Keep up the good work though!!

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:27 am
by trixie
Yuralria lowers her stick in great satisfaction. It'd seemed the spell had the effect she'd hoped for. She looked around at the men, blinking and confused at the feelings she was experiencing. This was an unusual side effect to her magic....one she couldn't recall having experienced before. She could tell by the expressions on their faces that they could sense what she was also sensing....this overwhelming knowledge of what each of them was feeling towards one another was clouding the hut as well.

OC
Yuralria feels towards Thorrin : An overwhelming curiousity / distrust / fear

Yuralria feels towards Tornuaq : Curiousity and excitement / a confusing attraction (lol :mrgreen: )

Yuralria feels towards Unulaq : Anger and resentment / Rebellion over being patronized / distrust

Damn I feel better! :twisted: hahah!

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:20 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq looked around the room at each of the others present wondering how it was that he was experiencing their emotions... and did that mean they were feeling his as well?

Unalaq feels toward Thorrin: Curiousity / the respect one would give a visiting diplomat / hopefulness

Unalaq feels toward Tornuaq: Brotherly love and mutal respect / envy / confusion

Unalaq feels toward Yuralria: Respect one should show a shaman / disillusionment / suspicion

ooc: If that isn't confusing, I don't know what is.

Unalaq asks Yuralria, "What is that squealing noise? Is it here? Can I attack it?"

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:33 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Damn you! You're making me think! :)

Tornuaq feels toward Thorrin: Worry/ Brotherly love / Respect

Tornuaq feels toward Unalaq: Curiosity/ The love a little brother has for an older brother/ Respect

Tornuaq feels toward Yuralria: Curiosity/ Strong Attraction/ Respect

Tornuaq sat there a moment, blinked rapidly a few times and stood. He sheathed his sword and looked at everyone there. "I... Uh... Did anyone else feel that? I mean I..." and then he blinked when it just hit me that he understood everything that Thorrin said. "Hey! When the hell did you learn to speak our language?" Tornuaq exclaimed with a big smile.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:14 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin remains still, unconscious and spent. Tiny claw marks cover his bare chest and arms. Unualq, Tornuaq and Yuralria all shiver in silent contemplation over the odd effect Yuralria’s incantation had on everyone in the hut.

ooc – Sanity Check – 1/1d6. I know I’m asking for a lot of sanity checks but it’s pretty crazy. Once you begin to see more of certain things, you will get some back, but no one has ever experienced anything like what just happened.

ooc- Do any of you need any clarification on what just happened? Sometimes I think I might not explain things enough. If so please pm me. You three can talk about it for a few posts now or start crying like children depending on your sanity rolls.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:56 pm
by trixie
Yuralria looks around the hut, blushing profusely everytime she looks in Tornuaq's direction. Finally she looks at the floor, trying to swallow the terribly large cotton ball she felt in the back of her throat. He's so....dreamy......augh! A shaman must not have these feelings! I will be shunned! Stop looking at him....he'll notice! She tries to look away, look anywhere but at his face. His arms.....augh! His mucklucks......augh! Stop looking at him Yuralria!!! In her discomfort her gaze settles on his pants....and suddenly she looks very uncomfortable indeed. She forces her gaze away, blushing fiercely again.

She meets Unulaq's gaze and blushes some more, knowing he'd have the knowledge of how she felt about him as well. She blushed, ashamed of her brazen anger and rebellious feelings. She'd never look at him the same way again. Finally she answers him, "The beasts. They were small demons with sharp little claws. I saw them while I was.....uh....in my dream. They attacked Thorrin. I don't think they will be able to harm us anymore. I cast a protection spell from magical creatures, but I fear it had some.... unexpected results." She pauses, blushing some more, then quickly changes the subject. "Thorrin. He must be hurt." With that she kneels to Thorrin's side, looking at him cautiously. "May I look?" she asks him in her mother tongue, motioning as well so that he might understand her wish to help his wounds.

OC Sanity check 58%, passed. Lose 1

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:06 am
by Andrew
OOC: Sanity 68% (1d100=50)

Tornuaq slowly realized what he had felt came from the others and realized that Thorrin was unconcious as well. He looked at Yuralria and smiled sheepishly, he knew his feelings for her but he had never imagined hers, however since she was the Wisdom he knew that their feeling would never come to be, it was too much to ask of her to give it up and he would not allow her to do so even if she tried. He knew though that they would never be able to look at one another in the same light again and suddenly sadness filled his eyes. 'Why did she have to be the Wisdom? We grew up together, I've had feelings for her almost my entire life and now... I must chose another.' Tornuaq sighed heavily.

"I have the taint of these demons on my hands and arms, is it to much to hope that water will remove it?" He asked Yuralria while staring at his feet, hoping she wouldn't notice the sadness in his eyes.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:47 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq's eyes darted back and forth between Tornuaq and Yuralria. "This is ... uncomfortable. I'll be outside."

He turned and left his hut. He stood outside and struggled to understand what had just happened, and pondered his suspicions about the shaman... but the more he thought about it, the closer he felt to a nervous breakdown.

ooc: Sanity (53%) (1d100=62) Sanity Loss (1d6=4)

Now that I lost a lot of sanity instead of lucking out with my sanity rolls, maybe you'll stop making me lose it and give me some back.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:16 pm
by DSIGFUSS
As Unulaq leaves the hut, his head swims with everything he’s witnessed in the past 24 hours. It all seems so incomprehensible to the Dorset hunter. The Ijiraat and the whitemen with their shiny weapons; all working against them. Foreign gods and the melding of minds. Images begin to flash in front of Unualaq’s face as he struggles for air. Belugas and snarling wolves with red eyes flashing. Blood covered snow and laughing Norsemen. Unualaq is forced to steady himself and then suddenly vomits onto the snow.

Braaaaaaaaaaaawk!

As he wipes the chunky spittle from his lips, he looks up to see Chief Kalituk moving purposefully across the village. He marches to Ogtuk-Luk’s hut and Maniitok parts the hide for him to enter. The light from the fire inside the hut reveals several Dorset men have gathered together.

Yuralria places her hands on Thorrin’s chest and whispers a few ancient and powerful words to Thorrin. A soft glowing light shines from the sky and passes from Yuralria to Thorrin that only Tornuaq can see. Tornuaq has seen Yuralria use her healing magic before but never has he seen such an effect. Something has changed in Tornuaq’s perception of things; for good or for evil remains to be seen.

Thorrin opens his eyes and looks at Tornuaq and Yuralria.

Thad hlýja minn hjarta til sjá the bádir af Thú.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:24 pm
by trixie
Yuralria looks uncertainly at Thorrin, turning both hands palm up and shrugging to show that she didn't understand. She then looks to Tornuaq with a confused expression. "You have understood him before, haven't you? Just a moment ago he spoke perfect Inuit. Unless that was merely my imagination....." She looks away, embarassed. If only I could disappear into the hide of the tent....just blend in....I can't wait to retire to my hut for the evening and not have to think about this embarassing situation anymore.....

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:33 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq frowned for many reasons and with his eyes bared on the floor he said, "Yes I heard him speak perfect Inuit as well but it must have been because we were all under your magic. I have been able to pick out a few words here and there but what he just said I have no idea what. I am sorry I could not be more helpful."

Tornuaq then looked at Thorrin, shook his head and shrugged his shoulders and acted like he did not understand. "Repeat please." He said in a slow drawn out manner, like it was going to help.

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:47 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq staggered across the snow and ice, his head swimming with thoughts and visions. He needed to resubmerge himself in regular activities... nothing crazy or alien. He heads over to Ogtuk-Luk’s hut, wondering what was going on within. Nodding to Maniitok and asked curiously, "What is happening here?" He hoped they were talking about fishing or hunting... something that could take his mind off of things.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:38 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok smiles at Unulaq as he enters Ogtuk-Luk’s hut.

Welcome Brother! You are just in time.

There were six Dorset warriors assembled around the Shaman Protector’s fire. Chief Kalituk, Ogtuk-Luk, Maniitok, Qannaq, Faroo and Arrluk. Each had their own carving tools and stone chisels in hand and were busy with their carvings. A smile pile of bone arrow heads lie in a plain reed basket at the center of the carving circle. The arrow heads were shaped like wolves and bears. All manner of deadly animal forms the Ijiraat might choose to take if they were to attack again. Ogtuk-Luk was busy carving a long piece of ivory. It was already beginning to find its shape. An armored man with a beard holding a sword; it reminded Unulaq of Thorrin when they first found him on the beach. Qannaq threw another arrow head into the basket and offered young so and so a few pointers before returning to his work.

ooc - If I haven't mentioned it in your thread before, the Inuit carve spear and arrow heads that resemble animals they are hunting. (Including men) They beleive it helps. If the Shaman blesses the object before a battle. Armor and tough hide aer ignored.

Chief Kalituk nods to Unualaq and offers him a seat in the carving circle.

The Elders would have us wait for Sedna’s blessing before we begin our preparations. This is folly. I have sent a small scouting party onto the plains to judge these Vikings’ intentions. Please sit. I’m sure everyone would enjoy the story of how you defended a dying man from his own people. The savages!

Chief Kalituk spits in the fire with disgust for the Norsemen.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:50 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin shakes his head with frustration.

No

Nei!

He holds Yuralria's hand and Tornuaq's hand and presses them both to his own heart. (clearly unaware of the offense in touching a Shaman) The awkwardness of the moment they just shared lingers in the air like thick smoke. Thorrin seems blissfully immune, however, as he interlocks his own fingers with Yuralria's and Tornuaq's hands.

Frienda.

Vinur.

He then takes Tornuaq's hand and closes it tightly around Yuralria's smiling at the two as if he were very happy for them. Tornuaq's mind quickly whips itself into a spiral of shame adn Yuralria's is not too far behind. No man, save Ogtuk-luk, (her protector) should ever lay hands on a Shaman.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:15 pm
by trixie
Yuralria feels an all-too-familiar blush come creeping up her neck, and over her face, making her ears burn and her heart flutter. It had been so long since anyone had so much as mistakenly grazed her hand. It was sometimes unbearable to be treated this way, day in, day out. Even the children of the tribe would stay well away from her, having been scolded by their Aga not to touch her at all. Children were so loving, they would reach out to all the other members of the tribe. Sometimes Yuralria felt lonely as ever...lost in the shadow of her wisdom. How she yearned sometimes to be treated like everyone else.

But this lonely day was the same as the others. She found herself stammering and looking away, feeling uncomfortable as ever before. She became acutely aware of how warm Thorrin and Tornuaq's hands felt, how comforting it felt to be treated as normal. Thorrin didn't know any better, and yet somehow she felt her own pulse and theirs all at once, melded together in a big mixing pot. Oh! That touch seemed more precious than any other. Tornuaq had been her crush for many years, not that he'd ever realized it. As a young girl she'd watched him, memorized his features, losing herself in her daydreams of him when she should have been listening to her Aga. Instead she'd dream of her future, the children she might have, and the life she'd hope for one day when she grew up. Little did she know that Aglakti would leave. And then to her surprise she was chosen to be shaman instead of Sashila. Oh! The thought of Sashila made a thousand needles press into her side. The jealousy she felt over beautiful Sashila, with the boys swooning over her.....that was her life. That was her spot in the tribe. Sashila was supposed to be the one in the shadow...the beautiful, untouchable Shaman. Not her!

Yuralria realized she was daydreaming and snapped back to reality. She blinked a few times, trying to hide the tears in her eyes, and gave Thorrin a wan smile. She wriggled her hand from his grasp, and patted her chest.

"I am shaman. I am alone. Only one." She put one finger up and patted her chest again, as though to motion her vowed singlehood. How could he possibly understand? She pointed to Tornuaq, then put two fingers up. "Tornuaq" she pointed to one finger. "Sashila" she pointed to the other, and avoided their eyes altogether. Her voice cracked as she said it, and she shook her head sadly. "I'm sorry," she said softly, turning to leave before she embarassed herself any further. "I just can't...."

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:16 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq's heart nearly jumped into his stomach when his hand was placed on Yuralria's he had dared not touch the Shaman! But why? It was true she could do magic and was considered one of the highest rank in the tribe but even a chief married. Why was it different for a Shaman? Tornuaq smiled as he listened to Thorrin and then held his smile until Yuralria held up her third finger and mentioned Sashila and then he frowned. When Yuralria headed out towards the door he decided that enough craziness had happened already, what would another cause.

Taking a few long strides he placed his hand on Yuralria's shoulder and then spun her around and looked deep in her eyes. "Times are changing Yuralria, this day alone has shown that." Then not caring what the punishment would be, leaned forward and kissed her on those beautiful rosy lips she had.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:11 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq took nodded to everyone present at the spear-tip making party. His head was still spinning from the earlier events, so he found himself a seat and grabbed a piece of ivory to start carving. "There was something else that just happened," Unalaq stated matter-of-factly. "A few moments ago, Thorrin was floating in my hut, attacked by something unseen. I ran to get Yuralria - who was in a trance at the time - and she came to chase away what she said was they were small demons attacking him." He shook his head and glanced at the blade in his hand for a moment... "Thorrin spoke, and we all understood him perfectly for a moment. He said 'Fuck your mother Loki! You trickster devil. You’ll never have the last rune! I swear it! By Odin I swear it!'" He went back to carving working on a head for the viking spear tip and said, "I wonder what the rune is he spoke of."

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:59 pm
by trixie
Yuralria was startled and alarmed at Tornuaq actions, and panicked momentarily. Oh...I want to let myself go and enjoy the moment, but at what cost? Would the village turn on me? Would anyone see? It was all so confusing. Yuralria decided to throw caution to the wind, closed her eyes, and leaned into him, enjoying the warmth of his touch and the fabulous way he made her feel. It was like hundreds of fluttering fish had made their way into her abdomen, and she was floating away with him, far into a beautiful abyss. She must be imagining it. After all she had never been kissed before. Was this what it would feel like? Yuralria had never imagined it would feel so wonderful...so warm... and yet terrifying. This was Tornuaq...the one she'd admired and loved for years. Who'd believe her luck?

And yet this was surely not luck. She knew it right down into her toes. What would happen to Tornuaq if anyone saw? If just one of the villagers or even a child wandered close to the hut door and walked back to the village, claiming to have seen their Shaman indisposed......would it be herself or Tornuaq that would be tortured? Or both?

Yuralria pulled away from Tornuaq after that thought, haunted by the images of Tornuaq flashing through her mind. She saw him laying strapped to a massive rock with a serpent over top of him. A giant one, with mouth stretched wide, so that poisonous venom could drop into Tornuaq's mouth. She could already hear his agonized screaming. Had she seen this before? Suddenly she was there as well, holding a pitcher under the serpent's mouth to catch the venom, watching it drip, over and over again. She'd stroke Tornuaq's feverish forehead, and assure him she'd never leave. Yuralria shuddered involuntarily.

Yuralria rests her hand on Tornuaq's chest,"Tornuaq...this could have terrible consequences for the both of us." Yuralria looks out the hut's door to see who might have been close by. "I never meant to......I'm so sorry." Tears spring to Yuralria's eyes and she looks into his, saddened by this vision of the two of them chained to torment for eternity. "We can't ever.....I mean I shouldn't have....." She blushes, embarassed at her own cotton tongue and lack for words. "They'd do terrible things to you and I. And I can't let that happen."

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin frowns at Yurlaria and Tornuaq before rising to his feet. Yuralria’s healing magic had worked wonders on restoring Thorrin’s vitality and vigor. He throws on a thick fur coat of Unulaq’s and steps outside, clearly aware of the tension brewing between Yuralria and Tornuaq.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok is bewildered by Unulaq’s story of devils and spirits. The entire hut follows his story closely, returning to their carving only when they are certain Unualq has finished.

Maniitok carves off a large sliver of ivory from his spear tip as he comments.

That is terrifying news brother. It was lucky the Shaman could rid your white friend of the angry spirits plaguing him. Do you think Thorrin has this rune? Perhaps that is why the armored men are searching for him.

Chief Kalituk grunts suspiciously.

You say this all happened now in the time since you left the elder’s hut? These are strange times indeed. I hope you are well Unulaq. I would like to think that as chief, I could handle this madness that has been thrust upon you. I do not know if I could have resisted the urge to throw the white man into the sea and be finished with his devilry. You are strong Unulaq. There is no other of my warriors I would wish to bear the brunt of this storm.

Ogtuk-luk, the Shaman’s protector, nods.

I am honored to have you in my hut Unulaq. I will see that anything you carve here tonight be treated with honor and blessed properly by our Shaman.

oc – get back 3 sanity for the copnfidence your fellow Dorset warriors have in you.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:34 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq was tempted to tell his suspicions about Yuralria, but he couldn't bring himself to do it with her protector being present. He nodded his thanks to everyone that supported him through the tough time as he worked on his spear tip. "I do not know what the rune might be. Tornuaq and I did not find anything on his body except for his armor and that knife. If the rune is the knife, then we might have to go retrieve it sooner than later."

"I wish I knew what this Loki looked like," he commented as he worked on the ivory.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:52 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq held Yuralria's hand on his chest and moved to over his heart. "Yuralria... I have loved you from a far these many years and if you tell me that I must continue to do so I will do it because you have told me it must be this way. My heart beats for you and you alone and as long as I live I swear to you that I will love no other." Watching Thorrin leave, Tornuaq felt an overwhelming urge to kiss Yuralria once again, throwing caution to the wind he quickly pulled her forth, one hand on the back of her head and one still on his chest he pressed his lips against hers.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:29 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Faroo nods in agreement and places another Viking shaped arrow head on the pile. As the youngest Dorset hunter at the carving circle, Faroo is very excitable and is quick to add to Unulaq’s story.

Do you think this Loki god has white skin like the Viking Thorrin? I wonder if their women are colored so too. I would very much like to see one of them.

Faroo laughs and shoves his old friend Qannaq.

Qannaq will not let me near any of his daughters. Perhaps Thorrin has a daughter with hair like fire. All over her body…. heh Unulaq?

Faroo stands up and dances over the fire, pretending to pull a woman’s dress over his head. All the Eskimos laugh except for Ogtuk-Luk. He simply smiles and continues his carving.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:41 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq smiled, greatful for the distraction, as he watched Faroo's dance. "Honestly, I do not know what that Loki would look like. But perhaps Yuralria..." he shut himself up quickly, lest he let it slip that the Shamman had already spoke with the Viking god.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:01 pm
by trixie
Andrew wrote:Tornuaq held Yuralria's hand on his chest and moved to over his heart. "Yuralria... I have loved you from a far these many years and if you tell me that I must continue to do so I will do it because you have told me it must be this way. My heart beats for you and you alone and as long as I live I swear to you that I will love no other." Watching Thorrin leave, Tornuaq felt an overwhelming urge to kiss Yuralria once again, throwing caution to the wind he quickly pulled her forth, one hand on the back of her head and one still on his chest he pressed his lips against hers.
Yuralria pulls away, staring into Tornuaq's eyes with mysterious, dark eyes of her own. "Tornuaq, you know I feel the same way. But you know yourself the detriment this would cause us if we continue. Please, we should speak of this no further. The elders will toss me to the bottom of the sea if they hear of talk like this. And you...." her eyes well with tears, spilling over and dripping down her cheeks, "they may do horrible things to you too. We can't let anyone know."

Yuralria pulls out of Tornuaq's grasp, and moves closer to the door, "You know yourself I've loved you as long as I can remember. But it is not possible to love a Shaman. I must spend my life alone, so as not to lose the wisdom." With that, she ducks out of the hide door and walks through the village with her head down, wiping her cheeks with her hide glove.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:34 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq watched her leave but did not move to stop her, after she left he waited to a fifty count and then headed out side as well. Looking over the village he sighed with a heavy heart and began walking away from the village and began heading to a quiet spot he and Unalaq had discovered as children. It was quiet there and when he wanted to be truely alone he headed to that place. It was there he would straighten out his mind.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:24 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Ogtuk-luk stops and stares at Unulaq when he mentions Yuralria.

He holds his stare as he continues his carving.

Chief Kalituk notices the Shaman protector’s defensive gaze and does all he can to put a stop to it.

Yes, the Shaman has had quite an eventful day hasn’t she. With her visions and our encounter with the Ijiraat. I hope for everyone’s sake she has earned the right to comb the goddesses hair tomorrow or all will be lost.

Ogtuk-Luk stands and addresses everyone in the hut.

You know nothing of her hardships Kalituk. To be Shaman is to be one with the gods. To speak their minds and suffer. You should mind your tongues and know that you are all lesser men in her presence.

I will finish my carving in her presence. I will bring these to her for her blessing. You have all done excellent work here.

Ogtuk-luk picks up the completed spear and arrow heads. He bows respectfully to Chief Kalituk and Unulaq.

I am sorry.

An awkward silence washes over the carving tent before Thorrin pokes his head in and smiles. His bright red beard covered in frost and snow. He shivers and looks around the tent with pleading eyes holding one of caribou skins wrapped tightly around his thick frame.

Unlak?

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:25 pm
by DSIGFUSS
As Yuralria begins the short walk back to her hut, she notices Ogtuk-luk walking with a determined pace in front of her carrying a wicker basket. They both seem to be headed in the same direction.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:45 pm
by trixie
Yuralria quickens her step to catch up to Ogtuk-luk, stealing a glimpse of his face to the side to read his expression. She could always tell when there was something amiss with him. After all, he was her eyes and ears. He heard many things no one had the brazeness to tell her themselves.

"Ogtuk-luk? Are you alright?"

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:38 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq stood and tried to explain, "... I only meant..." but Ogtuk-luk was already out of the hut. He shook his head and said "I do not think that went well."

As Thorrin popped his head in to the hut, Unalaq smiled and responded, "Thorrin, come." He waved the Viking over. He made his best effort to acquaint everyone with the friendly Norseman, introducing each of them in turn saying the name twice so Thorrin could absorb them. It was in everyone's best interest to come to know this man on a first-name basis... for it was harder to condemn a man to death if you knew him intimately.

While he was introducing each of them, he wondered what Thorrin would think if he realized they had all just fashioned spear heads in the Viking's image.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:53 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin bows politely to each of the Dorset hunters as Unulaq introduces them. He offers his hand to Chief Kalituk after Unulaq finishes with the introduction. The chief stares at him quizzically unsure what he was after. Thorrin takes the initiative and grabs the chief’s arm, grasping his forearm tightly. Chief Kalituk is surprised but quickly warms up to Thorrin as they both smile at each other.

He has quite a grip! Good to meet you Thorrin, says the chief slowly laughing happily with the exchange.

Thorrin replies repeating Kalituk’s words with perfect clarity. He substitutes Chief Kalituk for Thorrin and smiles. Thorrin must have experience dealing with other cultures as he seems to be picking things up very quickly.

Chief Kalituk motions towards the empty seat Ogtuk-Luk had left behind.

Sit Sit Thorrin.

Thorrin does so immediately smiling at everyone and repeating his words.

Sit Sit!

Faroo passes Thorrin a piece of bone and a stone knife so he can fiddle with it. Thorrin shakes his head and reaches into a pouch he had on him when Unulaq and Tornuaq had found him. He pulls out three very small sharp steel knives and passes them out.

Knife! hnífur!

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:06 am
by ImpInTraining
"We must not have checked him so thoroughly as we had thought," Unalaq admits embarassedly. "Try using this blade. It is much stronger and sharper than anything we have. It will give you an idea of what we may have to stand up against."

He looked to Thorrin, who seemed to be enjoying himself. It was a great relief to see him getting along so well with everyone. Unalaq waited for a good time to ask "Thorrin... What is the rune?"

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:29 pm
by DSIGFUSS

Runes? Thorrin repeats.

Ahhhh … rún.. Yes… rún..

Thorrin looks around the room and appears to be thinking hard. He spots a large caribou skin hanging on the wall and he smiles. The Viking walks over and picks it up, turning it over so the leathery hide is face up on the hut floor.

He then takes a short twig from the fire and begins to scratch symbols on the light brown hide with the charcoal end of the half burnt twig.

The first symbol he draws is:

He then draws a series of other symbols, scratching furiously away on the hide. All the other men in the hut are thoroughly enjoying themselves. The Inuit had no written language. In the Inuit culture, knowledge was passed on through story and song. The runes or symbols seemed so organized and sharp to the untrained eye.

Maniitok couldn’t help but interrupt Thorrin as he scribbled away. He pointed at the first rune.

What does that mean?

Thorrin squints his eyes trying to get some meaning out of Maniitok’s words. He smiled and pointed at the same rune Maniitok had noticed. (The 1st rune he had drawn) He repeated its name.

Fa… rún…

He then tries to get Unulaq’s attention; pointing to his spear. He picks it up and Chief Kalituk rises quickly to his feet. Thorrin holds out his hands and that calms Kalituk somewhat. The chief sits back down but keeps a watchful eye on the Viking,

Thorrin then places his hand on the spear tip and sings a song. Not quite with the same heart and fervor Unualq had heard the Viking sing before, but Thorrin’s voice was still beautiful and frightening all at once.

The fyrstur er Hjálpa hver vilja koma með þig hjálpa alls woes og í sorg og átök.
fehu fehu fehu
f f f f f f f f f
fu fa fi fe fo
of ef if af uf
f f f f f f f f f

Thorrin then drapes the bears skin over himself and hold his hands out to his new friends smiling and standing tall, pretending to be a brave warrior. He suddenly thrusts the spear under his arm and plays dead. The dead Viking opens an eye with perfect comedic timing and then jumps back to feet. It’s obvious to all watching that Thorrin was enjoying his little play of his. He then shakes his hands having thought up another idea.

He holds out the skin in front of him for everyone to see and speaks in his native tongue, pointing to the caribou skin.

skjaldarmerkja!

He stabs at the skin with the spear. The spear obviously doesn’t pass through it.

Fa! .

Thorrin adjusts the skin so the spear appears to be passing through the caribou skin catching everyone’s eye in the room, hoping for some sign of understanding from the Dorset hunters.

No skjaldarmerkja!

Fa!

No skjaldarmerkja!

Fa!

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:33 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Ogtuk-Luk looks back to the Shaman and smiles, waiting for her to catch up. He doesn't make eye contact and seems shamed in her presence.

Yes! Everything is fine. I was just coming to find you. I have some spear tips the others would like for you to examine and give your blessings. Unulaq is introducing the others to Thorrin right now in Mannitok’s tent. I think we are getting to close to the Norseman. He could be troublesome in the end. It is not my place to question…

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:43 am
by trixie
Yuralria takes up the same pace as Ogtuk-luk and her eyes flicker nervously to anyone that might overhear as the pair walk together.

"Yes, Unulaq has had much to say about the norseman. I am troubled over this situation as well and need to clear my thoughts for the time being. Come with me to my hut, where we won't be interrupted or overheard."

As they near her hut, she holds the door open and waves him in, then continues, "Tell me, Ogtuk-luk. Do you believe Unulaq is entranced with Thorrin? He defends him above anything else. As though he were one of our own and not an outsider. Unulaq and Tornuaq spoke of a knife they found, one that nearly made Tornuaq mad.....do you remember? I wonder if the nature of their friendship is somewhat....altered. Magically that is."

Yuralria hides her tear streaked cheeks and pushes the shameful feelings of what she just did from her mind for the time being. She felt severed...somehow. Like she needed a long soak in the hot springs by herself to clear her thoughts and become new again. Tornuaq had taken something from her, but she wasn't sure yet quite what it was.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:55 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: I'm pretty clueless at what Thorrin's trying to say... can I roll for an Idea check?

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:17 pm
by DSIGFUSS
oc - for sure! hahah! so funny. It sounded good in my head. I made that one a bit more abstract I guess.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:44 am
by ImpInTraining
Ah, thanks... Idea (60%) (1d100=21)

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:45 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unualaq thinks about what Thorrin had just tried to explain. Confused, he stares blankly at the Viking with the other Dorset hunters. If Unualq didn’t understand what he was talking about, what hope did Maniitok and the rest have.

Unualaq then remembers Tornuaq’s sword and how it had pierced the Viking armor as if it were made of blubber and not tempered steel. He went over Thorrin’s little game of charades in his head. By jabbing at the caribou skin and not being able to penetrate it, Thorrin had attempted to describe the spear as being too dull. Then after the song… probably a spell of some sort, Thorrin pretended to make the spear pass through the caribou skin with ease. Unulaq reasoned that the rune "Fa" must be magical in it’s design and makes a man’s weapon sharp enough to ignore armor. (Similar to the Shaman’s magic that allows a hunter to carve a shape into his spear head and once blessed by the Shaman will pierce the specific hide that corresponds to the carving. (ie Viking carved spears should in theory pass through Viking armor.)

The other runes must have magical properties as well for those that can use them.

That would mean skjalarmerkja must mean armor.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:45 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Ogtuk-Luk follows Yuralria back to her hut, silent and obedient for his Shaman.

ooc – I think we lost Eskimo hermit. If you can find someone to play him that would be radical. Until them I’ll NPC him as he’s important to the plot.

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:38 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq explained what he thought to the other Vikings, "I believe he says this rune of 'fa' permits his weapon to strike true the creature he attacks, even if his weapon is too dull to draw blood." He smiled amused with the Viking and nodded, slapping the man on the shoulder, "Runes ... Spells. Skjalarmerkja ... Armor." He shrugged and asked, "What rune you keep from Loki?"

The act of coming to know this foreigner and his ways was quite exciting for Unalaq. All his life, he had known only the Inuit ways, the Inuit people. Now he was experiencing a whole different culture. He wondered if they had Shaman as well, or if anyone could cast their magic? He wondered if the 'fa' rune had a time limitation, or if it lasted forever. But he had no idea of how to ask such questions.

He looked to the chief and said, "I think we should consider digging some pits around our village, cover them with thin ice. That way if any unexpected visitors come, they may fall into the pits and be trapped or crippled."

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:16 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin smiles at Unulaq and chucks him on the shouder, when he finally gets the Viking’s meaning. All of the other Dorset warriors clap and cheer their excitement as they continue their carving. Chief Kalituk nods his approval and then looks to Thorrin with joyful impatience when Unulaq asks his next question.

Thorrin thinks for a second.

He dips his stick back in the fire and continues drawing runes on the caribou skin with his makeshift charcoal writing utensil. He draws seventeen in total. Naming or counting each as he draws them. Unulaq is fairly certain he is naming them as he calls the first rune Fa.

Thorrin then draws a circle in place of the final eighteenth rune. He looks into Unulaq’s eyes with a sort of sadness. He then crosses it out with an X.

Thorrin then proceeds to touch each of the other runes with his stick, repeating the word Viking after touching each rune in order.

ie. Fa… Viking

When he gets to the circle with the X, the last rune on his list… Thorrin looks gravely at Unulaq

No Viking rune… Odin’s rune….

No Viking…. No Loki…. No Thorrin….

Odin!

Thorrin then quickly draws a picture which Unulaq knows to be the shape of their island. All of the Dorset warriors seem very concerend that Thorrin would know the island so well. Chief Kalituk appears on the verge of posing a whole host of questions but Thorrin quickly continues before anyone can get a word in. He points his stick at the island.

Helluland!

He then draws a series of triangles near the south east corner of the map, easily recognizable as mountains. Every Dorset hunter knows of the vast mountain range.

Thorrin points his stick at the mountains.

Odin Rune….. Asgard!

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:10 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq blinked with sudden realization... he looked to the Chief wide-eyed and said, "The knife... it was sending him to Odin's rune... in the mountains. We have to get the knife. Loki wants the rune, and if the other Vikings get the knife first, then they will get the rune." He looked down and cast his glance to the floor as if searching for answers as he said "If Loki gets the rune, I can only guess it means disasterous ends for us all."

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:45 am
by coffee demon

Qannaq, the aged hunter, sits in his usual spot near the entrance to the igloo. He's repairing the leather traces of his dog sled with a bone awl and caribou sinew.

Qannaq listens closely, saying nothing. He watches the young warrior, Unalaq, and occasionally glances across the space to judge the chief's reactions.

This talk of magic and disaster. The omen of the wolves, this White Giant. , Qannaq thinks. Something bigger is going to happpen. May our people stay strong.

Qannaq sighs and pulls at his most recent repair, testing it's strength.

May these changes strengthen us, like sinew stitching strengthens damaged leather.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:28 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Yuralria's Hut

Ogtuk-Luk frowns at Yuralria, deeply concerned for her feelings on this matter.

I do not think they are under his control if that is your meaning Yuralria… I think they are simply blinded by all the excitement the Viking’s presence brings. His ways and his people are new to us. I believe he hopes for the best. Perhaps he is right and Thorrin is here to help. If they are wrong, however, it will spell doom for our people in the end.

Ogtuk-luk places the spearheads in front of Yuralria for her blessings.

I am here for you Shaman. Whatever course you choose I will defend with my life.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:31 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Mainiitok's Hut

Chief Kalituk is speechless. His long life as warrior has not prepared him for any if this. It seems now more than ever he is relying on the advice of others.

What do you suggest Unualaq. Your brother believes you discarded the knife. The elders will not allow us to return for it with the Shaman’s ceremony so close at hand. They will want us all present when Yuralria meets with Sedna tomorrow morning and I won’t risk sending any of my warriors tonight with the Viking threat looming so close to
our village.

Chief Kalituk stands and addresses the circle.

We cannot wait for the elders to reach a decision. In the first morning light, assemble a hunting party. Retrieve this knife, but do not hold it. Who can we trust now with this artifact if we believe our Shaman is under Loki’s spell?

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:42 pm
by coffee demon
Qannaq sneaks outside for a breath of fresh air. For anyone else, it might be rude to walk out while the chief was talking, but Qannaq was older, and everyone knew this was his Way. He needed time alone. Like the snow fox, Qannaq enjoys silence.

Qannaq would follow the decisions of the tribe, and trusted the Chief.

Outside, Qannaq lets the chill autumn air cool his exposed chest. He breathes slowly through his nose, and looks out at the stars.

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:29 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq looked to Thorrin and back to the chief, "I ... do not know." Since he returned, it was like everyone was expecting all the right answers from Unalaq, but he was working on gut instinct more than anything. "I could take Tornuaq... we could take extra cold weather gear and follow the path into the mountains... retrieve the rune. But I do not know what we would do after that. If the Vikings are all fighting over the rune, then we would have a bargaining chip that might strengthen our chances of survival."

He looked to the chief questioningly, then looked around to the others in the room to see what their take on the idea was.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:45 am
by DSIGFUSS
Faroo was standing now... encouraged by Unulaq's words. Maniitok remains in his seat, his face grim and frightened.

Thorrin seems confused but smiles at Unulaq.

Chief Kalituk lifts his spear high!

We will leave in the morning after the Shaman's ceremony. It would be unwise to upset the goddess when we will need her guidance and support in this dark hour!

All the Inuit in the hut hoot and hollar for their chief, eager to begin their adventure. Maniiok doesn't share their enthusiasm. He stares at Unulaq with sad worried eyes.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:46 am
by trixie
DSIGFUSS wrote:Yuralria's Hut

Ogtuk-Luk frowns at Yuralria, deeply concerned for her feelings on this matter.

I do not think they are under his control if that is your meaning Yuralria… I think they are simply blinded by all the excitement the Viking’s presence brings. His ways and his people are new to us. I believe he hopes for the best. Perhaps he is right and Thorrin is here to help. If they are wrong, however, it will spell doom for our people in the end.

Ogtuk-luk places the spearheads in front of Yuralria for her blessings.

I am here for you Shaman. Whatever course you choose I will defend with my life.
Yuralria picks up the spear head and mindlessly turns it over, appearing pensive and bothered. She furrows her brow.

"Thorrin has divided our tribe, Ogtuk-luk. He's like a knife that has split us down the centre. Do you believe it to be true as well?" Her eyes flicker as she says it, with self-doubt and worry. Why am I feeling this way? Why do I second guess myself all of a sudden?

After a moment she takes the three spear heads and places them in her bowl of elk's blood. She seems bitter, holding her mouth in a set way that seems to portray a certain distaste for the way things are going. She slowly stirs the mixture with a twig, and muses. "Tell me Ogtuk-luk. What were they speaking about while carving spears?"

Ogtuk-luk knew that he was Yuralria's other eyes and ears. She quite often poked him for information when she felt unsure of the tribes feelings. Ogtuk-luk was always quiet enough that they would sometimes forget he was present, and speak recklessly in front of him. It proved to be helpful in times such as today.

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:53 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq nodded to Chief Kalituk, "As you wish." He stepped closer to Thorrin and grabbed up a knife. Pointing to the knife, he says, "Knife." He pointed to Thorrin and said, "Your knife..." and he held the knife outward before him, acting like the knife was pulling him around. He put his right hand over his eyes as if blocking them from the glare of the sun while peering in a distance, then said "Odin's Rune?"

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:49 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin shakes his head.

Tornuaq’s knife. Thorrin no knife! No knife! Tornuaq’s knife.

Thorrin throws his hands up in the air with frustration. He falls on his back and covers his face. He obviously has a lot to say on the subject of the knife but doesn’t know how to properly express himself.

Thorrin finally sits up and takes a deep breath.

He goes back to his caribou skin with a map of the island. He draws three shapes and names them. He then points to each shape and says Vikings. Vikings. Vikings! The ships are spaced out in equal distances from the island.

Thorrin points to the 1st shape and says

Knife… Thorrin… Vikings…

He then points to the mountain range near to the Dorset village.

Thorrin points to the second shape and says

Knife…. Melkorka… Vikings…

He then points to a group of mountains north of the village.

Finally Thorrin points to the 3rd shape furthest from the island and says

Chief… Vikings… Brunhilde!

After saying the word BrunhildeThorrin makes a series of hand gestures. Brunhilde is obviously someone or something important and possibly mystical in nature.

Thorrin shakes his head grimly at Unulaq hoping he got through…

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:34 am
by ImpInTraining
"Tornuaq's knife?" Unalaq questioned. He wasn't sure about much of anything Thorrin was telling him except that their comfy home was being invaded by masses of Vikings.

Unalaq pointed at the second ship and asked "Melkorka, evil?"

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:41 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Thorrin looks at Unulaq and squints his eyes trying to remember the meaning of Unulaq’s words. He then points top the second shape, which Unulaq has figured to be a ship of some sort (Even though the Eskimo have no real word for ship) - Big canoe. (haha)

He then starts listing off names.

Melkorka, Evil …. Loki, evil…. Odin… No evil…. Alrik… No evil.. Alrik…. Thorrin friend… Chief Gunharr… no evil. Vikings… No evil.

He then smiles and pats Unualq on the back happy they are finally getting somewhere. He smiles at the other Eskimos who are clearly glad Unulaq is on top of this.

Thorrin points to the first boat and circles it again, repeating the word Loki before listing off another series of names.

Thorrin… no evil. Chief Lar-gut… evil Sigelda…. evil Vikings…. evil.

Finally Thorrin points out the last shape or ship as Unulaq sees it.

Brunhilde…. Chief Chief ….. evil…. no evil…

Thorrin shrugs his shoulders suggesting he doesn’t know.

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:44 am
by ImpInTraining
Unalaq sighed and rubbed his forehead. "I am weary from this long day, I think. Maybe I should try to get some sleep, and then get together some cold-weather gear for the journey ahead." He smiled and clasped Thorrin's arms nodding appreciatively, then bid good night to the others.

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:27 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Imp, Eskimo Hermit and Yuralria Please go to new thread:

Sedna's Comb