VIKINGS: Chapter 1: STEEL AND ICE (Henrik, basket, Oathin)

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

VIKINGS: Chapter 1: STEEL AND ICE (Henrik, basket, Oathin)

Post by DSIGFUSS »

VIKINGS : Chapter 1 : STEEL AND ICE

Weoulf, Ingvar, Orm and Sigfurd all rowed with every muscle they could spare. Back and forth the oars moved for what seemed like an eternity. It wasn't until that no good son a bitch Gilliok stopped cracking his whip at them, that they could finally relax.

Take a rest lads! There will be plenty more rowing and whipping if this wind don't pick up soon!

Gilliok dissappeared up on deck and a sigh of relief echoed through the hull of the Viking warship "Ice Breaker".

There were 50 men in total aborad the Ice Breaker and 40 of them would be forced to row when called. The stink of blood, swet and ass lingered in the air. The hull was overcrowded with Viking oarsmen. The wind had all but died three days ago and the Ice Breaker's sails were flat as the kegs of ale they had carried all this way. The wind had died three days ago and Captain Gunnhar was displeased with their progress so he had ordered his gods be damned bastard Gilliok whipmaster to discipline his men to row faster. Gilliok, that son of a stinky whore, was all too happy to take the whip to his own men, a practice usually reserved for slaves.

Weoulf sat with Ingvar on one oar and Orm sat with Sigfurd on another. All four men had just campaigned in Britain, slaughtering the prissy Brits and setting spark to a life long friendship. The four had realized long ago that in order to survive these long, hard campaigns, they had to stick together. Sigfurd collected all their mugs and filled them with ale, passing them out to his friends. He slapped Orm on the shoulder, knowing full well what muscles pained him.

For all this damn whipping, at least the Captain keeps the Kegs full to the tits! Gilliog...That bloody cunt!
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Re: VIKINGS: Chapter 1: STEEL AND ICE (Henrik, basket, flint)

Post by Henrik »

"Yes, to bring the whip to the backs of free men is surely something that will damn him to Hel." Orm was tired but he would not break. The old viking had endured pain before and the pain of the body was nothing compared with the pain that was in his heart. The memory of a maiden now long gone and buried still pained him, the loss of her worse than any loss of a comrade in arms.

"Well, Sif perhaps I'll see you in the afterlife again soon. You'd better not have bedded another man during these long years since your passing."
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

"I'm gonna do it... I swear. I'm gonna kick his ass."
"He'll know the sickening sound of skull and grizzle under my axe before long. Yes. And no one back home will miss him"

"Who want's another drink?"
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm did not answer but kept on rowing. He was to old and wise to pick arguments during a voyage. Even if you did not like or agree with the captain or other men of authority, nothing good came from challenging their right of command. The sea was harsh and you could not always count on the protection of the gods and in those times a sailor must trust to his ship, his own abilities and his fellow sailors.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sigfurd slaps Ingvar on the back and smiles at Weoulf and Orm. Sigfurd is a loud mouth prick at the best of times. The no good bastard Gilliok brings out the blasphemy in him.

You said it old friend. I'd see that sac of hammered shit stuffed up Idoun dress if I had my way. Then we'd see how he likes those apples. Ha!

He slaps Orm now, knowing his faith in the Norse pantheon might have taken offense to his little joke at the expense of the gods.

You think we're close to land Orm? My back can't take much more of this salve work. I still don't know why we didn't bring some of those slack jawed Brittains to do the rowing. We could a tossed em in the sea once they was spent.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"I hope so. There must be more islands in this sea. So much sea seems to be a waste of water."
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

"I think I'm going maaad on this boat " Ingvar says to no one in particular.

He continues wrapping twine tightly around the handle of his axe.

"The sooner i can sink this into someone's head the better, know what I mean guys? GOD DAMN this is a long boat ride..."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

I hear you Ingvar. Anymore time at sea and I'll slit me own throat.

Sigfurd looks around and smiles. All three men know Sigfurd well and that when he behaves like this, he's got something juicy.

I heard a woman on board last night. Moaning and carrying on into the night.

Sigfurd punches Weoulf in the shoulder.

Not like that yah dirty bastard. Always with your mind tween her legs. Ha!

Sigfurd laughs and takes a big swig of ale.

There's a witch on board. I'm sure of it now. I seen em carry the old crone in before we set sail. She was all hunched over and full of spit and venom. I think it was Melkorka....
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"A witch on board? Why would we bring a witch on a sea voyage?" Orm could have added some sort of snide remark about Sigfurd and his urge to bed a woman, but the old norseman had never been much for those jokes. Women were perhaps not men, but they could be as bold and brave as any man. That was one of the lessons that Sif had taught him during their short time as man and wife.
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

"A witch?" Ingvar perks up. "Perhaps they mean to exile her to the icy wastes of Helluland."
"By the gods..." he mutters, shaking his head.

"Well if the sea gets angry, I guess we'll know whose head to feed to the depths - and that cursed son of a whore Gilliok too." Ingvar said that a little too loud, but he doesn't give a good god damn.

He wipes ale off his beard, and glances around the cabin belligerently.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

One of the Vikings in the middle of filling his mug catches Ingvar's belligerent glare and returns it. Ingvar knows the man just as he knows the rest. His name is Oddlog, another brute in Captain Gunharr's crew. For Ingvar, it was like looking into a mirror and seeing this tired savage, so close to the edge. Perhaps Oddlog felt that way too, for his next words were rich with quick hatred and spit.

You've got the look of an asshole after a shitting contest Ingvar.

Oddlog smiles, sporting a less than toothy grin, obviosly trying to provoke Ingvar.
FlintlockHMD
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by FlintlockHMD »

Sigfurd's punch brings Weoulf out of a sick faced reverie.

"Odin's beard! What was that for?"

He goes back to staring over the edge of the boat, trying to keep his lunch down.
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

Ingvar stands drunkenly with his hand axe, staring at Oddlog.

"If i wanted to hear from a pile of wet shit I'd crap in your mouth"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Oddlog reaches for his scrimsax and slowly advances on Ingvar.

If I cared what a whiney little whore thought. I'd have asked your mother!

Oddlog smiles... ready to fight. With a simple gesture of his hand, Oddlog invites Ingvar to come to him.

Come to me my pretty.....

ooc- noone is wearing any armor. (too hard to row in armor)
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

oc. All right lets mix it up. You need an initiative?

Ingvar was going to go fisticuffs, but when he sees the scrimsax he yanks the hand axe out of the table.

"By the ancient rites of combat I shall tear you a new arse"

"GYARRRR!!!!"

Initiative 9
Strike 11
Damage 5
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Orm decides to drop his oar and watch the fight. He is tired of the sea and this crew. This journey will surely be his death!

"Those idiots! Why pick a fight here in the middle of the sea! Not an ounce of common sense even if they would add their heads together!"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Odllog gets a good three paces into his charge and lunges out with his Scrimsax. His huge three foot reach carries the long viking blade inches from Ingvar's shoulders. Ingvar is quick and ducks the scrimsax coming down hard on Oddlog's thigh with his own throwing axe. Oddlog cries out in pain as the blade cuts its way down his thing and skims the knee cap. Perhaps a littler deeper than Ingvar had intended.

You son of a bitch! I'll bleed you for that Ingvar. I'm through fucking around!

Duels like this sort were frowned upon by Captain Gunharr. Killing was punishable by flogging or death. Both men know they will be judged by the damage they inflict on their opponent. Unless they were careful, the victor was often punished more than the Viking who lost the duel. No deep cuts, no stabbing! Salshing and fistwork only. That was the rules. Captain Gunnharr knew his men loved to fight, but he'd be damned if he'd lose half his crew before he even set foot on Helluland.

Fight!

All the Vikings holding their mugs cheered Ingvar's name and Oddlog uses the ditraction to take a step back and regroup. He looks over at his friends and roars at the crowd. One of Oddlog's friends Hildigarr, takes a step around the fight and begins to eye Weoulf and Orm, obviously deciding which oarsman would best suit his need for bloodshed.

ooc. - Ingvar - same rolls. init/strike/ dam unless you got something else in mind.

ooc - Weoulf and Orm post your reactions to Hildegarr please.
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Basketvector »

oc. I was hitting blunt cause I rolled 1d6 for damage. Blade damage would be more right? So if we're going to blades I'm not sure what the damage for this thing is. You can roll for me.

If he's attacking with a blade then I will too. Otherwise I'll still go blunt.

"CRY FOR MERCY OLD MAN!!!!"

Initiative: 4
Strike: 71
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Better sit down and enjoy the fight, Hildigarr it's not worth the trouble. I did not get this old out of bad swordmanship." Orm states as if he was talking about the weather or perhaps the harvest.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

You're an old fool Orm but you'll bleed just like the rest.

Hidegarr begins to advance on Orm when Sigfurd jumps in between the two, his own scrimsax in hand.

This old man has friends Hidegarr. If blood's what you crave yah murderous cunt, then I've got plenty to spill.

Sigfurd lunges forward with his scrimsax, but Hildegarr steps nimbly to the side with a murderer's poise and skill. As he moves past Sigfurd's blade, Hildegarr drags his own scrimsax across Sigfurd's gut leaving a long bloody slash in its wake.

Meanwhile Oddlog, clearly frustrated with his own knife work, reaches out and grabs hold of Ingvar's throat. He lifts him up and into the air and starts to choke him.

ooc - Ingvar takes 2 damage plus STR bonus.
ooc - Ingvar - make a grapple check to keep hold of your axe. If you want to break the hold -an opposed STR check must be made.

Return to “Chapter 1 : Blood and Snow : Steel and Ice.”