VIKINGS: Chapter 1 : STEEL AND ICE (KinginYellow)

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

VIKINGS: Chapter 1 : STEEL AND ICE (KinginYellow)

Post by DSIGFUSS »

VIKINGS : Chapter 1 : STEEL AND ICE

Osvald and Alrik sat side by side waiting for the witch's answer. All around him were the captain's closest men. The leaders of the Viking warship, Capatin Gunnhar had named Ice breaker. The witch, her face hidden in shadow, moaned and hissed like a wounded animal. She swayed back and forth in trance, seemingly unconcerened for how uncomfortable she made everyone. Her wild hair and terrible stench seemed to attract every fly in Captain Gunnhar's private quaters. The Captain looked at the witch in disgust. He took a hearty gulp of his ale and wiped his beard clean.

What do you have to say witch? Are we on course for Helluland?

The witch held out her hand to Captain Gunnhar and clicked her long nails together making a hollow clacking noise.

The captain seemed to take the cue and drew his long scrimsax blade and handed it to her. The witch held out her arm and cut it from wrist to elbow. Several long scars stretching from the same spot suggested that she had done this many times before. Long streams of blood poured down her arm as she bled herself into a rune covered gold plate lying flat on the table. Just then the boat lurched and the plate slid across the table landing directly in front of Osvald.

The witch smiled a rotting toothless grin at Osvald and slid the scramsax along the table towards him.

You are clouded in destiny Osvald son of Oland. Add your flesh to my own and we shall see what dark secrets you hold that may just guide us through Hel and back again to Helluland.

The witch cackles and all the other Viking warriors stare at Osvald intently.... waiting to see what he will do.
TheKingInYellow
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: VIKINGS: Chapter 1 : STEEL AND ICE (King and Pianoman)

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Osvald sat stoically, neither flinching at the witch's foul odor nor shuddering at her behavior. Though not fond of her mannerisms, he kept his attention firmly focused on her words. Sitting on a simple stool, bow-legged, chin resting on his knuckles, he followed her motions until she passed the blade to him.

Taking the blade in one hand and running his fingers through his beard as though pondering the situation, he allows himself a few moments of silence before speaking. "For the sake of the expidition, so be it..."

He quietly steels himself and cuts his arm as the witch has done.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Piano man »

"]Image

Alrick watches the display with a air of disgust. He finds the witches magic to be brutal, yet effective. He picks up a metal flask off of a near by table and checks himself to make sure that his hair is still in place. He much prefers the grace of his own magic. Something of beauty. If there is one thing that Alrick cherishes it is beauty. His look is unbecoming of the stereo typical viking. He prefers to be clean shaven and grooms himself regularly. While some would call him vain, he knows that it is all part and parcel with his magic. He loves to sing and is often heard humming on deck while he works. No one has ever really said anything to him about his appearance. Alrick is not sure if that is because of repect or fear. He has proven himself to be an intelligent fighter. Often in battle he does not even leave his horse. Staying mobile with his bow that he got while traveling in the Orient he is almost untouchable. Or maybe it's just luck. Either way he has managed to remain relatively unharmed so far, and has seen many battles.

Alrick turns his attention back to the witch, and intently watches. Unlike some he believes fully in the power of her magic, and although she is as homely as the back side of a mule she still posesses great power which should be respected and feared. That is why he has always tried to keep as good of a relationship with her as possible. Some time the effort of not showing his distaste for her is difficult though. That being said they still manage to keep a fairly business like relationship. Often consulting eachother on matters of magic.
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The witch grins devilishly as Osvald bleeds himself into the golden dish. Once Osvald had finished the witch lunges across the table for the dish and pulls it greedily back to herself. The stench of her fills the room as she makes even the slightest effort or movement, disease and rot pourig from every pore.

She reaches down beside her and pulls out a small leather pouch. She shakes it rigorously over her head and then begins to feel her way through it, her eyes mad with focus. She pulls out four rune covered black stones and tosses them into the blood. They land as they do all rune side up. The witch cackles wildly to herself and then fixes her eyes on Alrick.

Alrick.............

Her demenour suddenly changes. She appears to transform from a blood thirst madwoman into a pleading lover in just a fraction of a second. The change is quite disturbing.

The final words Alrick.... I am too weak......
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Make another SAN Check and tell me what you roll in a pm. -homey!

PPS
Hope the job is going good buddy. Y

PPPS
You better hope you don't have to hump the witch.

Alrik stands straight at the mention of his name. Without speaking to anyone he makes his way across the room clears his throat and begins to sing, activating the ruins. It takes a toll on him but not one that he isn't used to.

Those songs I know, which nor sons of men
nor queen in a king's court knows;
the first is Help which will bring thee help
in all woes and in sorrow and strife.

Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!
TheKingInYellow
Keeper
Keeper

Osvald wraps a wet cloth around his arm and watches the exchange between the witch and Alrik. His mannerisms are certainly strange enough to be those of a sorcerer and perhaps too vain for his own good, yet he seems a solid enough man. The new lands will no doubt pose hardships to even the strongest of will and body, and Osvald appreciates any man of integrity and strong character who can be mustered.

He sets himself back down at his seat, always half watching the ritual. Grabbing his mug he hoists it with his uninjured arm and quenches himself before returning his attention to see what the witch has to say.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The witch cackles as the runes in her hands begin to glow.

Yes Alrik! Yesssss!

She pours some lamp oil over the plate of blood and lights it ablaze. Osvald feels a strange tingling beneath his open wound. That tingling begins to blister as the blood burns. The witch tosses the glowing rune stones into the fire and laughs maniacly, her eyes moving from one Viking warrior to the next. She finally rest on Alrik and the old hag lick her lips perversely before her eyes turn white and glaze over into some magically enduced delerium.

The smoke begins to form shapes all around them. Three Viking warships sailing over the sea. The first ship bursts into flame. The second fills with water and then sinks back into the smoke. The third grows wings and flies into a smokey mountain range crashing on the rocky slope and splintering into a thousand smokey pieces.

The smoke then dies down and the rune stones continue to glow in the bloody pool, now thick and balckend into two shapes. Osvald recognizes the first shape as Iceland. The second an island unfamiliar to him and it would seem any of the other Vikings present at this dark meeting.

A rune stone both Alrick and Osvald recognize as Home lies flat on Iceland. Another rune stone labeled clearly as Gods lies on the new island. The island they have named Helluland. The third rune stone marked with the symbol for dragon lies just east of the island. The witch wakens from her trance and the glow in the runes dies out. The smell of oil and burning blood still lingers in the air.

Three days at this snails pace cries the witch. By fire water and wind, we are all doomed!
TheKingInYellow
Keeper
Keeper

Osvald bites his lip and attempts to be stoic as his wound worsens and blisters at the witches magic. He manages to hold all but a frustrated grunt and clutching his arm to steady it.

Watching the witch's magic and the images it conjures, only speaking once it has come to an end. He turns to Captain Gunnhar.

"I'm uncertain of what the witch's visions mean to convey, but I have little doubt about the end it fortells. Our fortunes appear wrought with death and disaster if we are to stay on this course. I emplore you to consider these signs. But let it be known, I shall follow your decision without question or apprehension. If the gods will it to be so, then who are we to question the end we find in Helluland?"
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrick sits down on a nearby bench. That song took a little more out of him than he thought it would. He watches the others in silence while he gathers himself. After a moment he regains his composure and decides it's time to speak up.

"I wouldn't take her warning too lightly. This sign is not something to brush off. We need to discuss what the safest course of action should be. I agree captain that the final decision lies with you, but I can tell you this. If we should not take corrective action I fear that we all will be lost."

Alrick runs his hands through his hair which is now slick with sweat trying to get it back into place. After all even an ominous warning is no excuse for looking messy.

"Witch from your reading what would you suggest."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Captain Gunharr circles the table pondering Alricks words while the witch mutters quietly to herself. He places a firm hand on Osvald's wounded shoulder (arm) and nods, respecting his particpation and sacrifice in the ritual that has brought them to this most difficult decision.

Yes Melkorka. This prophecy spells doom for our voyage. The first ship has already burned or will burn. Our destiny lies at the bottom of the sea. The king will come to Helluland and find nothing but blood and ash for his people. What say you hag?

Melkorka hisses at the insult.

Always testing the gods patience with your insults eh Gunharr? Your faith is constantly tested oh mighty captain. Yours shall fail you I fear.

Captain Gunharr bangs his fist on the table sending the ritual plate crashing to the floor with a loud bang.

You are not a god witch! What do you advise?

Melkorka grins wildly at Captain Gunharr.

We stay the course. Nothing is more important than the rune. I would throw you all in the sea if I could but hold it in my hands.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrick stand straight and faces the witch.

"Listen witch. I may respect your powers, but you are a twisted cow. Speak to the captain with the respect that suits his position or I will throw you over board myself. The Captain is right you are not a god any more than I am. You merely work his magic. You are a tool nothing else. On a side note Captain I have to agree with what she says. We should stay the course as the ruins dictate, but of course that is your decision to make.
TheKingInYellow
Keeper
Keeper

Osvald wraps the cloth around his arm and sets it down on the table to keep in place. Pondering over the situation as the others continue their exchange he eventually speaks up in a kindly, yet strong tone.

"The gods speak through magic that the witch understands, it is not our place to question it. If the captain believes that we can be of some good to continue on our voyage then we shall follow him to the ends of Midgard and beyond. After all, every man is to die some day, but only those loyal and brave earn a place at Odin's table. Perhaps if the gods see fit, our deeds may yet inspire the Skalds."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

"Listen witch. I may respect your powers, but you are a twisted cow. Speak to the captain with the respect that suits his position or I will throw you over board myself. The Captain is right you are not a god any more than I am. You merely work his magic. You are a tool nothing else.

Alrik and Melgorka have palyed this game before. Knowing full well what the witch was capable of, Alrik could test her like no other man. Melgorka had need of Alrik's songs if she were to get what she wanted. It was a sick triangle. Captain Gunharr, The witch and the bard Alrik. The witch had rule over Captain Gunharr and Alrik had some power over the witch. Alrik, however, served under Captain Gunharr and and like any Viking, Captain Gunharr would beat him down if he thought his authority was in question.

The witch hisses at Alrik and then quickly approaches. She moves all too close and takes on a far more seductive and twisted tone.

You be mindful boy! Gunharr does what "I" say. As do you! Mind your conscience Alrik or you might find my appetites reaching beyond our immediate goals and into far darker ones of the flesh.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

"The gods speak through magic that the witch understands, it is not our place to question it. If the captain believes that we can be of some good to continue on our voyage then we shall follow him to the ends of Midgard and beyond. After all, every man is to die some day, but only those loyal and brave earn a place at Odin's table. Perhaps if the gods see fit, our deeds may yet inspire the Skalds."
When Osvald speaks the witch recoils from Alrik and cowers slightly. For all the power she has learned from the gods, Melkorka fears them now more than ever. Osvald's words echoe through all in the room with a hollow sort of destiny. The skalds will certainly be watching. She knows it more than any of them.

Yessssss! Osvald knows! Death and destiny lies wating for us on Helluland! We must press on.

Captain Gunharr stares at the witch so harshly she is forced to listen. As are all on the ship who value their lives.

We have all seen the terrible fate before us. Wether it be by fire or by water or wind..... or whatever power the gods will, we will face it. Our king is coming to Helluland and we will clear the way. We're in our own saga now lads. All who die now, die in battle and it is not my place to deny any soul aboard this ship a chance to DINE WITH ODIN!

Captian Gunharr lifts his axe in the air and screams his battle cry. All the Vikings raise their swords and axes and join in the shouting.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrik stand and salutes the captain, his own melodious cry joining in a war cry.

"Ah to dine with Odin would be an honor. I will not shy from death."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

All the Vikings continue cheering as Captain Gunharr backs away from the crowd and stands next to Osvald.

Walk with me Osvald he says and exits the room onto the main deck of the Ice Breaker.

The witch holds her arms in the air reveling in the extasy of the Viking cheers. When the Vikings finish Melkorka grabs Alrick's hand and leads him into her own chambers.

Come bard! We have much to discuss.
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Alrick follows the witch to her chambers.

Just what are you wanting with me. My loyalty to you is strong, but even I have my limits.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Alrick moved to your own thread.

Return to “Chapter 1 : Blood and Snow : Steel and Ice.”