Eskimos : Chapter 1 : BLOOD AND SNOW (Trixie+EskimoHermit)

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Eskimos : Chapter 1 : BLOOD AND SNOW (Trixie)

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The pale faced woman stares at Yuralria again for a moment with that same sort of blind focus.

No dear... this is not the spirit world either. Or not the spirit world as you know it. I am fascinated by your reserve child. It is far to difficult for me to explain. Please come and sit.

She motions for Yuralria to sit on some decorated pillows close to her.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

Yuralria goes to sit next to the pale faced woman and makes herself comfortable on the pillows. What a strange place....the decorations are so ornate...not like home at all....where is the hide skin rug and furs like I have in my hut? She must be right...this is a strange place....a different place.....

Yuralria quietly waits for the woman to begin to speak. Clearly there is much to be learned from her.
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

I am Sigyn, wife to Loki. This poor soul beneath me.

Loki stares into Yuralria's eyes intently. Yuralria is instantly charmed by the handsome pale faced Loki.

He cannot speak so soon after tasting the venom. It will be some time before he can speak again.

Sigyn wipes a drip of the excess snake venom from Loki's cheek.

So tell me Yuralria Which gods do your people show penitence to.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria looks at the woman cautiously. Why has she called me here? What does she want to know from me? Why does she ask about our gods?

Yuralria takes a moment to think before answering. "Sedna is a god we worship much. The god of the sea. All blessings of fish and whale come from her..." Her voice trails off thoughtfully.

"Why are you here? In my village?" she asks.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

A better question might be... why are you here in my husband's cave?

Sigyn smiles at Yuralria.

There is some tea boiling in the kettle on the fire. Would you please pour us a cup. I also have some fruit and breads you might enjoy. Something from my homeland. I am quite certain you wil enjoy it.

A whistle of steam startles Yuralria. She looks to her left and spots a roaring fire with a steaming kettle atop it where none was there before. Just to the left of the fire is a reed woven basket with fruits and breads the like Yuralria has never seen before on the island.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria rises to fetch the tea, and scratches her head thoughtfully. Have I seen this here before? I don't think so....it wasn't there when I first entered was it?

She brings the cups back with her, along with the basket, and sits again, taking a moment to get comfortable with the hot tea in her hand. She looks through the basket cautiously, sniffing the biscuits when the pale faced woman's head is turned, and licks the one timidly. She sets it down. Better to know who these people are first...

For some reason, I have been summoned. There must be something I need to learn from you. The gods would not send me otherwise. Perhaps it is Anningan...does he wish vengeance?

"Where is your homeland?" Yuralria finally asks, giving the biscuit a ginger bite.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The bread tastes amazing. So soft and wonderful to the tongue. A knife rests in the basket along with 5 beautifully colored red apples.

Would you please slice me a piece of apple Yuralria? The red fruit.

Sigyn thinks for a long moment and then answers Yuralria's question.

My homeland..... It has been so long.... It is far from hear. The Yggdrasill grows tall and my home lies in it's brances.

Sigyn looks at Yuralria trying desperately to understand. She smiles and continues, albeit at a much slower and somewhat insulting pace.

Imagine a tree that stetches from the deepest ocean to the tallest reaches of the heavens. Now imagine that same tree were the size of a man. We would be living in its stomach. Hee Hee. I used to live with all the others on its top in the great kingdom of Asgard. Your god Sedna, I'm afraid, lives at its feet. I do not think she enjoys it there, but such is her fate and mine for that matter.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria slices the apple as she listens, deftly trying to use the strange, shiny object. It was made of a strange substance. Not stone, nor ice, nor anything she'd seen, really. She lifted it up to inspect it for a moment, and sees her reflection shine back at her, then lowers it, shocked, but trying not to look as flabbergasted as she feels.

A tree....Yuralria takes a moment to let the information wash over here. Finally, she looks over at Sigyn with eyes widened with realization.

"You are a god?" she asks incredulously. "And your husband also?"

She offers her a couple slices of cut apple as she says it.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sigyn takes the slices of apple and gently places them in Loki's mouth. She whispers soothingly to him.

Chew my love. This will return your strength.

Sigyn then returns her attention to Yuralria.

A god? No... Not I.... Loki would beg to differ... bless his heart. He would berate me for even speaking to you, but who am I to judge a neighbour come calling. I'm sure there is something in the Eddas about that little no no.

Sigyn focuses hard on Yuralria for another short moment and then returns her attention to Loki and the jug of poison.

ooc - Inuit Mythos check please
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Inuit Mythos passed
"Well, thank you.....for inviting me in." Yuralria says weakly, watching her husband again writhing under his holds. She takes another bite of the bread, curiously now as it tasted very good, but was so different from anything she'd tried.

"S..So....you are more like Sedna? Living at the feet? And what of our gods, Malina and Anningan? They are very powerful gods, certainly!"

Yuralria's head spins. Sedna....not very powerful?! Blasphemy!
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sigyn smiles seemingly reading Yuralria's thoughts.

The bottom is not what you think Yuralria, daughter of the snow. Sedna is simply not where she wishes to be as am I. Malina and Aningan are as you think of them. Powerful as the sun and sinister as the moon. I know of them.... and love them.... but not as you do child.

Sigyn changes hands holding the jug and stretches her now free arm. She sighs deep.

Your love for them is much different than mine.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

[O.C. Does Yuralria know what the 'Eddas' are? I assume not....]
"So, you are like me? A helper for the gods?" Yuralria watches her hold the jug, and feels sorry for the woman and her seemingly endless plight.

"How long has he been like this? Under the great serpeant I mean?"
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

It would only further confuse you if I told you Yuiralria. We have been here a long time. At times, it's all I can remember.

Sigyn smiles that same smile. Yuralria begins to recognize the look as the same she would give a child asking questions that there are no simple answers for. "Why the the Quallipuk steal the children" Sure enough there is an answer for that dreadful question but Yuralria would spare the child the truth to protect whatever innocence the child has left.

Sigyn continues.

As for helping the gods. Ha! I wouldn't help them out of a gunny sac. They are cruel and without a sense of humor. Not like my Loki here.

Sigyn looks down into Loki's eyes and then back to Yuralria.

So how did you find this place? We have not had a visitor in some time. and never one so....... mortal.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria looks at Loki with an expression of sudden recognition. He is a god.....not one of ours...but still. Anningan knows him. Malina knows him. Sedna knows him. What will he say about me???

Yuralria is speechless for a moment, and can only stammer an incomprehensible "Uh......" Somehow it seemed, the weight of the world depended on what she said next. Suddenly all of her recent behaviour came running to mind. She had to evaluate it, analyze it. Did she do the right thing? Were they happy with me hear? Did I ask too many questions? Did I sound stupid?

Yuralria looks at the floor, deep in thought, wondering how Anningan would react the next time the moonlight touched her. How would Sedna react tomorrow during her dive? What if they were angry with her for being here? For speaking to Loki and Sigyn? What if they judged her for it? Perhaps it was unfitting....sitting here eating sweets and drinking tea. It's blasphemous!!!

Yuralria stands slowly, and falls to her knees. "I must pay my respects" she utters softly.

Tell Anningan and Malina I'm sorry....I did not know....do not bring judgement on my people for my lack of respect....do not bring judgement.....I did not know.....I was a fool.....please forgive me.....
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sigyn holds a hand out and gently touches Yuralria's head as as she kneels before her gods. For just a moment, Yuralria has a feeling she could crush her head like a boisenberry..

I told you Yuralria... your gods cannot hear you in this place. Nor will they hold you responsible for your participation in what's to come. Continue if you wish... I will not hold it against you.

Sigyn slices off another piece of apple and feeds it to Loki. She waits patiently for Yuralria to finish.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria looks confused, and stands, embarassed.

"My participation in what is to come?" she asks, her eyes slightly narrowed as though she wasn't fully understanding, and suddenly had suspicions of what the woman's intentions were.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sigyn nods.

Yes Yuralria. Something grand is happening here on this island. Perhaps if everything proceeds as written, even Loki will finally be freed. There is strength in your people..... Strength that has been passed down from your gods since the beginning. You will need that strength if you are to survive the coming trials. There is much I can teach you Yuralria of the Dorset and the Thule.... daughter of Sedna.
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

"Trials? There are trials coming our way? Of what sort?"

Yuralria can't quite make heads or tails of everything this woman tells her, but she knows one thing....freeing Loki would likely start something difficult. A trial in itself. Clearly there was a reason he was bound to a rock under fleshy holds?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

I have a book of prophecy you'd be most interested in Yuralria. It explains everything. What you must do and when you must do it. Your people depend on you Yuralria for much more than you think.

It's over on the bookshelf. If you'll just hold the jug for a moment, I'll show you. Careful not to let any of the poison drip onto my Loki. He'd likely tear the whole island to pieces with his shaking. A steady hand.....

Sigyn hands Yuralria the partially filled jug of poison.

Don't be frightened....
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Yuralria takes the jug warily, watching the drip in fascination and doing her best to keep her hand steady.

She tries not to watch Sigyn get the book. Careful to watch the drip.....don't look at her...keep looking at the drip....don't look at Loki....no don't......drip........drip.......

Prophecy of things to come....how will I explain this to the Chief? He'll swear I'm mad....

Return to “Chapter 1 : Blood and Snow : Steel and Ice.”