Page 1 of 1

ESKIMOS : Chapter 1 : BLOOD AND SNOW (Imp and Andrew)

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 am
by DSIGFUSS
Chapter 1 : BLOOD AND SNOW

Baffin Island : Just South of the Artic Circle, Jan 22, 1003

Tornuaq, Maniitok and Unalaq moved swiftly up the snow bank, spears in hand, eager to begin the hunt. All three men knew the icy beach that lay just over the peak of this final snow drift had been their favorite hunting grounds since they were just boys. They had left their sleds and their dogs just a mile back with the gingantic wall of Mount Qaisualuk silouetting the landscape behind them. Maniitok had insisted on leaving the sleds behind. He always insisted. The hunting was always better when they aprroached the ocean on foot. The best prey would always sense the dogs. They would have to settle for the oldest and the slowest meat if they were not careful in their approach.

It was mid morning and the Sun had risen just a few hours ago. If they hoped to make it back to their village at the base of Mount Qaisualuk before dark, that did not leave them with much time for the hunt. All three warrior's hearts pounded with excitement.

Maniitok smiles at his friends, as he hurries up the slope.

I will spear a Narwhale Tornuaq, before you lay that long knife of yours on a single seal. You couldn't hunt a wounded walrus. Ha!

Re: ESKIMOS : Chapter 1 : BLOOD AND SNOW (Imp and Andrew)

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:24 am
by ImpInTraining

Unalaq smiled at the friendly jesting. He hurried beside Maniitok up the slope. "I heard there were many caribou out east of here, just a couple day journey. If we don't do so well here, maybe we should consider a short trip... just a few days to a week to load up our sleds... then run home."

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:42 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq gave Maniitok a sideways look and said, "That is if you remember that the pointy end of the spear goes into the whale this time." then with a broad smile he looked to Unalaq and said, "You know, I could go for caribou meat, it's been awhile and besides, I need a new blanket for when I marry Maniitok's sister." He finished with a slight devilish grin.

Standing in-between his two best friends, Tornuaq felt on top of the world (no pun intended) and thought that life couldn't really be any better, with the exception of marrying Maniitok's sister of course, the most beautiful woman in the whole village. This was the life and it was hard to imagine what life would be like without the two men by his side.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:07 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- In the north, on the Artic Circle, it is compleyely dark for only a couple of months around January and then light for a couple months around June. Right now in late January, in the game. The sun rises at 7:30 and sets at 12:30 pm. Right now the time is 9:00 am and sun is rising to its peak. There are 5 hours of light and only three of those hours could be considered full daylight. The sun barely passes over the horizon when it rises at this time of year.
Maniitok is your buddy. The three of you are friends. Andrew made up the sister thing but I like it. Maniitok has a super hot sister and he has promised her to one of you. He enjoys pitting the two of you against each other in direct competition for her hand. Neither of you know if he will ever make good on his promise.

Maniitok's smile widens at the mention of his sister. This has always been his favorite game.

If you can catch a walrus with that long tooth of your Tornuaq, I will let you marry my sister tommorrow and then Unulaq and I will finally be rid of you and your tooth. Ha! Ha! Hey Unulaq?

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:49 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq laughed, "You will never make good that promise. You enjoy the torment too much. Last time you ask for a seal with skin so black it seemed to take in the light, I do so and you say it was not dark enough. I swear you'll be the death of me with all these tasks!" Tornuaq slapped Maniitok on the back and moved towards the beach with his friends.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:40 am
by ImpInTraining

Unlulaq chuckled and asked Tornuaq "Why would you want to marry a woman who's heart belongs to me? She's seen the many catches I return with every hunting trip - so obviously she would want a great provider for her husband." He looked out on the horizon and lifted his snow glasses up to get a better view.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:50 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok laughs out loud as the three old friends reach the summit of the last snow drift.

The only catch is my Tiilaqiia (Maniitok's sister) and if you are both the last to the water's edge my friends, you won't even catch a cold.

Maniitok quickens his stride as Unulaq and Tornuaq keep up the pace with the ease of movement only the the Inuit possess in the deep snow. Tornuaq quickly passes Maniitok and reaches the top of the drift ahead of his two friends smiling wildly with the excitement of the hunt close to all of their hearts. If he was lucky a walrus would have wandered far from the shore. Reaching the beach first would mean his pick of the hunt. The walrus would be his and he could carve the tusks into a proper gift for Tiilaqiia . Tornuaq stopped dead in his tracks when the beach finally opened up to him. Maniitok and Unulaq came crashing in behind Tornuaq but Tornuaq did not move. His whole body stiffened in shock and terror at the sight before him. Maniitok and Unulaq quickly rose to their feet and joined Tornuaq in his horrified bewilderment.

The beach stretched for at least a mile before ice and rock engulfed the fine gravel on either side of it. All along it lay dying Beluga whales. A hundred at least all lined up as if they had all tried to to test their evolutionary lot in life and walk on land, only to hit the same imaginary wall just 20 feet from the water's edge. The Beluga whales were all spaced evenly down the beach, no more than 10ft apart from each other. It was as if Sedna herself had thrown them all out of the water to die.

As if on cue, the Beluaga whales began to cry out to the three friends and brothers. It was the most beautiful and saddening sight either three men had ever witnessed. Tears began to form in all of their eyes as the Beluga's song began to grow louder and louder. It was impossible to ignore the idea that the whales seemed to asking the three men for help.

ooc - sanity checks please! (1/1d6)

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:46 pm
by ImpInTraining

Sanity check (1d100=59) My current sanity is 80 as well. So I lose 1.[/color]

Unulaq, startled, said "By Nanook's fur ... what has happened here?" He looked and counted all the whales and said "What are we to do with this? I wanted a good catch, but this is too much."

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:35 am
by Andrew
OOC: Sanity Check (1d100=56) Thanks guys for clearing that up and yes, I know Mr. Handy.

Tornuaq stood there next to his brother speechless for a moment as it all sunk in, looking to each man next to him he said, "Perhaps this is a sign from Sedna, telling us that we should not have such petty contests for the hand of a woman."

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:09 am
by DSIGFUSS

The long stretch of Belaga's continue their sad, helpless song of hopelessness.

Maniitok lowers and shakes his head....

Something is very wrong here Tornuaq. I do not believe our petty squabbles would cause the godess to bring such pain to her own creatures. Look at them all. They still live.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:22 am
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq said, "You're right ... that's exactly what it symbolizes. So thanks for stepping down." He gave a wink and a smile as he started down toward the beached whales. "Maybe we can wet the ice behind them to make it slick, and push them back in one by one?" He wondered just how thick the ice was out there. Had to be pretty sturdy considering how much weight was resting atop.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:30 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq smiled at Unulaq and said, "Not a chance I'll step down but what are we going to do with the whales? Sliding them back on ice would be a good idea but I don't think we could even get them to budge."

Tornuaq frowned as they stood there wishing he had an answer to save them. Knowing there was nothing he could do from the crest, he walked down towards the beach.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:39 pm
by DSIGFUSS

ooc- this is the only gravel beach for miles. There is ice but the Belugas are all beached on the fine gravel and flat stone ground just past the ice leading to the ocean. There is an inlet running through Baffin Island that passes by Mount Qaisualuk and continues North. See map when I get it up.

Maniitok smiles solomely at Tornuaq and follows Unulaq down the slope leading to the gravel beach.

The chorus of Beluga's grow louder as the three warriors approach. Maniitok approaches one of the whales and places his hand on its slippery skin.

They are still wet.....

He walks around the great white whale and examines its trail leading from the ocean across the ice and snow and onto the rocky beach.

This snow was just broken. They have only been here for a few hours.

Maniitok looks at his two friends with great concern and compassion for the whales.

What happened here? What do we do Unulaq?

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:30 pm
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq struggled to find a reason why the whales might have been so beached, but fails:
Inuit Mythos (15%) (1d100=49)
Natural World (45%) (1d100=77)

He shrugs to the question. "We can't lift them up and carry them back to the water... each of them. They are too heavy. My suggestion is we make the best of it. This much meat could feed our whole clan for a year. Might take a few trips with the sleds... but if we slaughter them here and take only what we need, we could make the trips lighter. Send one dog sled back with the meat while the other two of us stay here and keep working on the next - keeping scavengers away."

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:35 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq nods in agreement, "I can't think of anything we can do for them and Unulaq is right, we might as well make the best of it, maybe it is a sign of good fortune for us?"

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 pm
by DSIGFUSS

Maniitok stands up and sticks his spear straight into the ground.

Yes Tornuaq! Perhaps this is a gift from Sedna! There will be no need to hunt the cariboo if we can harvest these whales in their place. Perhaps Yuralria will know what this means for our people. The hunting ceremony is tommorrow and Yuralria will dive down to meet Sedna for her first time. She can ask the godess....

Maniitok stops and eyes the Beluga in front of him. He sighs deeply.

It is a shame. Our whole village could not consume all of these creatures, Many of them will freeze when the sun falls. A painful death at that.

We should take all we can and then come back tomorrow in greater numbers.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:36 pm
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq nodded, and said "Before we begin, I want to take a look at the sea ... to see if something chased them out. If these waters are dangerous, we need to know before accidentally rowing our kayaks by."

He started walking out toward the water's edge.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:33 am
by Andrew

Tornuaq looked at his two brothers and said in a bit of a skeptical tone, "You don't think that the Qallupilluk would be able to do something like this do you?"

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:03 am
by DSIGFUSS

Maniitok face becomes very intense at the mention of the Qallupilluk

I do not rule anything out Tornuaq....

He trails slowly after Unulaq and looks out into the water.

ooc - (Tornuaq and Unulaq ) - Spot Hidden.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:18 am
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq shook his head at Tornuaq, "The Child-Snatcher has never been said to chase the sea mammals out of the water. No, I think if it's not Sedna's doing... then it is something yet unfamiliar to us."

Unulaq scans the horizon (and his eyes fall out) but doesn't see anything.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:25 am
by Andrew

OOC: Spot Hidden 60% (1d100=59)

By the way Tom:
(and his eyes fall out)

Nice. :D

Tornuaq shook his head slightly agreeing, he was just trying to make sense of this unsensable situation.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:18 am
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq searches the water for any disturbance. Passing a Beluga to reach the water's edge, the whale shifts slightly and knocks Unulaq to the snow. All he can see is snow. Maniitok laughs nervously and follows Tornuaq further up the beach.

The water is still and Tornuaq's eyes wander up the beach as he can't keep his eyes off the long organized row of Beluga whales for long. The song was disturbing and still ringed out over the beach like a heavenly chorus. Then he saw it in the distance. Slumped up on some cracked ice half buried in snow lied man. The Beluga whales crawled at least 50 feet from the water. It seems the stranger had only made it 20.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:06 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq squats down and shields his eyes, "Look," He says and then points to the spot, "there is a man on the ice." At that he gets up and starts to head towards the man.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:27 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq pulls himself out of the snow and trails behind Maniitok and Tornuaq.

Get up you fool.

As they get closer to the man on the ice, Maniitok speeds up his pace into a run.

His eyes widen as he lays them on the stranger. He was covered in a shiny hairless skin, the likes of which neither of the three Dorset men had ever seen before. It seemed to be like treated bones that linked together and sparkled in the morning sun. Having some skill with carving. Manitok runs his fingers along the shiny skin wondering how the stranger could have carved something so hard and cold to the touch into such a fascinating interlacing pattern. Mannitok smiles up at Tornuaq, excitement clear on his face.

His own skin was even more strange. It was white and blistered, no doubt from the chilling cold of the ocean. It was as if a wolf had sucked the blood from him and returned his spirit to dwell in the empty shell of a man.

His hair was bright red and grew in great lengths on his head and face. He even had braided it like a woman. Maniitok smiles at Unulaq as he catches up.

If you could grow one of these my friend, you could have your pick of any women in the village. Perhaps even two!

Maniitok touched the thick red beard and the stranger stirred. Manniitok jumps back like a startled child and draws his spear.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:55 pm
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq jumped back a half step as well, but it was more from Mannitok's sudden movement than the man they found. Unulaq felt the man's clothes to see if they were damp, "Dry skins ... this man needs warmth." Unulaq had dressed in layers this day, so he removed one of his furs to wrap around the body of the man on the beach. "Have either of you seen a clan such as this before?"

He looked to the man's face and said "Can you hear me?"

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:43 am
by DSIGFUSS
The pale skinned man doesn't stir a second time. His breathing remains slow and erratic.

Maniitok regains his courage and shakes the stranger.

Brother! Are you still alive? We should get a fire going.

ooc - First Aid and Spot Hidden Checks Please.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:43 am
by ImpInTraining

Spot Hidden (70%) (1d100=66) - succeed
First Aid (30%) (1d100=53) - fail

Unulaq nodded, "I will look for some wood and weeds to start a fire."

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:59 pm
by Andrew

First Aid- 30%- First Aid (50%) (1d100=23) Succeeded
Spot Hidden- 45%- Spot Hidden (45%) (1d100=60) Failed

Tornuaq looked down at the man and wondered where this stranger came from that he looked so different, he wondered briefly if he had come from the stars. Shaking all thoughts from his mind he began to do what he could to care for the man's health first and foremost.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:37 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq searches the beach for something to light a fire. There is no shortage of driftwood along the beach and he quickly sets himslef to collecting as much as he can.

Maniitok, still confused and startled, backs away from the pale faced stranger to allow Tornuaq some space tp work. First, Tornuaq must remove the stranger's wet clothing if the fire will do him any good. He quickly locates the straps to his shiny metal shirt and removes it. He had never felt anything so heavy in his hands before than the shiny metal shirt. Underneath, his clothing was soaked in blood. A small familiar object protruded from his chest. Maniitok's eyes widen as he identifies it.

A spear head! One of our people hunted this man Tornuaq.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:40 pm
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq started making a fire nearby the man, kindling on the bottom with increasingly larger wood on top. He kept most of the wood at the wayside to throw on later. "As soon as he gets his heat back, we should move him back to the igloos. Maybe bring back the other hunters today to make the best of these poor creatures." He notes the spear tip and nodded to Maniitok's comments, "But that doesn't explain all of these Beluga on the beach."

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:16 am
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok stands up and grips his spear. He looks down at the red haired stranger and spits onto the beach.

This spear head was carved by the Thule. They have need to carve heads shaped like men. There have been many raids from the west although I heard nothing of red haired gosts. The Thule would not have hunted this man if they did not have reason.

ooc - Historically, The Thule is another name for Dorset. On Helluland the Thule is one tribe of Eskimo and the Dorset are another. All the Eskimos in this campaign are Dorset. There is a third tribe that lives on the north eastern tip of the island but neither the Thule nor the Dorset people concern themselves with them much. They have only been around for a few decades. The raiding parties are actully true Inuit beginning their campaign that will eventually drive the Dorset/Thule people out of Eastern Canada. But that's a few hundred years off now. Just FYI so I'm not just dropping names.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:23 am
by ImpInTraining

"What are you suggesting?" asked Unulaq. "No matter who might have been angry with him, he is in need of help. It would be wrong to turn our back on him. This red-haired ghost... we can help. It is a much better than the fate of the whales on the beach."

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:42 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok loosens the grip on his spear.

You are right Unulaq. It's no wonder my sister prefers you.... You have the wisdom of the winter fox. We will speak of spears when he wakes.

In no time at all Unulaq has a roaring driftwood fire. The Beluga whales continue their sad song as Tonrnuaq dresses the stranger's wound.

Mannitok watches the two brothers work in silent contemplation. Unulaq and Tornuaq both feel as though Maniitok is plotting something.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:51 pm
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq leans in to speak softly to Tornuaq, "I don't like the look in Mannitok's eyes. Maybe it's just me, but I have the feeling in my gut that he's up to no good."

He looked at the red-haired man and checked his responsiveness now that the fire was going well. Then he said (more loudly than before) "We should probably get some water for him to drink... melt some snow or something. He'll be thirsty once he wakes up."

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:18 am
by Andrew

"I am glad to know that it was not just me thinking Mannitok was up to something. I think that when our backs are turned he will kill this man. One of us should have an eye on him at all times. I mean when he said his sister prefers you, I know he's talking crazy." Tornuaq finished with a smile.

"I will go gather snow, maybe Mannitok should ride back to the village to speak to the elders?" Tornuaq asked.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:00 am
by ImpInTraining

"Good idea. And we can stay and stand guard," Unulaq responded quietly.

"Maniitok, one of us needs to go back and speak with the elders about this. This man is still too weak to move right now. Why don't you go back and bring back help... all the men, dogs, and sleds from the tribe you can muster. Tell them to bring their tools for the Beluga."

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:44 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok eyes Unulaq suspiciously. He looks from Unulaq to Tornuaq and then back at the stranger. He sees his own fist tightening its grip on his spear and then bows his head in shame. (Insight check : Pass)

I am sorry my brothers. I let my concern for my cousins to the South get the better of me. It will not happen again. I promise you by my spear or anothers, no harm shall come to this stranger with fire for hair and snow for skin. You do not need to send me away.

He releases his spear and bends over to help Tornuaq and Unulaq carry the pale faced stranger to the fire.

I will not leave you to bare Sedna's next gift by yourselves. With the peculiarities of this day, I would not be surprised to see the entire depths of the ocean come crashing down on our heads.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:01 pm
by ImpInTraining

OoC: Ok, that's twice we tried to send the NPC back for help, and the Keeper vetoed the idea. So I'm thinking we're not supposed to send anyone back just yet. *shrug* Unless it's maybe one of the PCs who is supposed to go back.

Unulaq nodded to Maniitok and looked to Tornuaq "I still want to check by the waters. Stay here in case our guest wakes up."

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:23 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq nodded in agreement and pulled up a patch of beach and sat down next to the stranger. He looked over his surroundings and sighed, what was going on? First the Beluga and now this stranger with a spearhead in him. It was shaping up to be a very unusually day indeed.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:04 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq wanders the beach as the chorus of Beluagas echoes around him. He approaches the water and scans the horizon.

(Unulaq : Spot Hidden)

Tornuaq and Maniitok sit around the pale faced stranger in uncomfortable silence for a short while until Maniitok suddenly breaks it.

You would save this man spirit, even if he has hunted your brothers Tornuaq?

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:13 am
by Andrew

"I would, there are reasons to keep him alive, he may know things that could be vital to us. To me it would stand to reason that we bring him to health, see what kind of man he is and if necessary hunt him ourselves." Tornuaq answered while using his spear to draw in the sand.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:05 am
by ImpInTraining

Spot Hidden (70%) (1d100=69)

Unulaq looks out unto the sea and asks "What are you hiding, Sedna? Why do you throw your children to the beach?"

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:07 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok looks at Tornuaq and nods in agreement.

You are wise Tornuaq. I see that now. We must first learn from this man. Learn of his people and his connectin to the whales and then learn what connection this stranger has to our cousins so far from their village.

Maniitok lowers his head and stares at the stranger's blood in the snow.

Then we speak of his fate.....

OOC - Tornuaq - Insight check
OOC:  
Unulaq wanders purposefully up the beach looking for any clues. The ocean is quiet and still. Unulaq rarely sees the water so calm. It seems almost as if the sea itself were morning the Belugas.  

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:34 pm
by Andrew

OCC: Insight 5% (1d100=4) Oh my Gods! I can't believe I made that roll!

Tornuaq looks around and says, "Yes, then we speak of his fate."

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:22 pm
by DSIGFUSS
As Unulaq walks, he notices something odd. The Belugas are spaced so evenly along the beach, just more than a man's height separating one whale from the next. Midway down the line of Belugas, Unulaq notices a whale is missing.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:31 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq's eyes lower to slits and he tells his friend, "Their is something in the way you speak that makes me not trust you concerning this man. I would trust you with my life but not his, I would have no problem killing this man if we knew what his crimes were but we do not. He has much he can tell us, maybe he himself know why the Beluga are on the beach. Please, ride back to the village and bring back an elder, come back yourself even but we need one of the elders."

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:07 pm
by DSIGFUSS

Maniitok rises and picks up his spear.

You hurt me brother.... but again you show the wisdom of the arctic owl. I would kill this ghost if he has done what I fear he has done. I will go and then return with enough of our people to properly set these whales to rest and perhaps with the wisdom to do what must be done with the white man.

Maniitok looks over the beach at Unulaq who is still searching.

Take care of Unulaq. The Beluga's song seems to have have taken a tall toll on his heart. I will return at first light. Do not hesitate Tornuaq. If trouble comes. I beg you. Take flight and leave this spirit to his own destiny.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:32 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq stood and embraced his brother, "I will Maniitok, you be careful on your journey as well."

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:45 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Maniitok embraces Tornuaq as a brother and sprints over the snow drift off towards his sled and dogs. He waves to Unulaq and Tornuaq as he reaches the peak of the drift and echoes his farewell over the beach.

Tommorrow morning brothers! I'll tell my sister to expect you both home soon!

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:34 am
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq waved over to Maniitok as he was leaving. Then started to head towards the gap in the Beluga conga line to check it out a little more closely.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:47 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unaulaq moves closer to the gap in the whales. He can see the trail leading up to the line of Belugas. He even spots the patch of disturbed snow where the whale had beached itself and joined in with the chorus. Unulaq, however, can not imagine where the whale could have gone. There are no prints in the snow suggesting it moved anywhere. Unless it backtracked along the same path it came, the whale simply dissappeared.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:37 pm
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq moved in closer, kneeling beside where the Beluga was at one time, reaching his hand out to touch and make sure his eyes weren't just playing tricks on him.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:32 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc- It's no trick. The whale was definitely there. Now its gone. (roll a Track check)

The Beluga to Unulaq's left and right begin to shake nervously as Unulaq approaches. Their song changes slightly. Unulaq can tell the animals are scared and confused.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:14 am
by ImpInTraining

ooc: er, I don't have a 'track' skill. But... track (1d100=19)

Unulaq called over to Tornuaq, "This is strange. One seems to be missing. It was here, but now is gone! Maybe it got up on its tail and walked away?"

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:26 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq can see no tracks around the flattened snow where the Beluga whale once lied.

Tornuaq finally gets the fire going. The pale faced stranger groans as the fire comes to life but does not waken.

Both Dorset warriors then hear a terrible noise coming from the water. A terrible screaching, similar to the Belugas song, but filled with anger. Both men look up and out onto the water but see nothing.

ooc - Spot Hidden check please.

ooc - I'm noticing that I'm doing more skill checks than other keepers. I think it reminds people that they are playing a game and not participating in a choose your own adventure book. I could always do the rolls myself if you guys are getting tired of the dice rolling. What do you think?

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:08 pm
by Andrew

OOC: Personally I like it when a DM, Keeper makes the rolls. I don't really care otherwise. Will post later tonight, running short on time.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:16 pm
by ImpInTraining

Spot Hidden (70%) (1d100=49)

Unulaq looks up suddenly when he hears the screeching noise coming from the sea. He backs away from the water instinctively, spear in hand.

ooc: Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm easy... really... ask Andrew's wife. :twisted:

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:28 am
by Andrew
ImpInTraining wrote:ooc: Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm easy... really... ask Andrew's wife. :twisted:
OOC: This coming from the guy who bought her a train ticket so we could spend our first wedding anniversary together.

OOC: Spot Hidden 60% (1d100=36)

At the noise Tornuaq jumped to his feet and ran over to Unulaq, "What was that brother?" He asked as he looked out onto the water.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:38 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Both brothers see the lone Beluga break the water just for a second before diving back down into the icy black. Then the water is still and the Belugas continue their sad song.

The pale faced man with the fiery red hair stirs once again. The warmth of Tornuaq's fire seems to be bringing new life to the stranger.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:49 pm
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq watched the water only for a few seconds more, then turned away "Nothing, I guess. Missing his brothers and sisters." He showed Tornuaq the layout of all the Beluga, how evenly spaced they were except for this one spot ... where a Beluga whale had rested at one time judging by the trail from the water's edge. And now it was missing. "I don't know what happened to it. It just suddenly disappeared." He scratched his head and then gave up the investigation. Thinking was hard work, and best left for the elders.

He started heading for the fire and asked Tornuaq pointing a finger at the red-haired stranger, "Did you check him for weapons? We should make sure he is not armed when he wakes - in case he is hostile."

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:09 pm
by Andrew

"I didn't!" Tornuaq exclaimed as he ran over to the stranger. He not only searched for weapons but also tried to see how the strange shiney skin came off. The man would rest better if he wasn't wearing that.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:57 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tonrnuaq finds some leather ties the pale faced stranger had used to strap the shiny shirt to his chest. They easily untie and Tornuaq removes the shirt. It is heavy in his hands.

After some searching, Unulaq finds a long knife stowed in his boot made from something similar to the shirt and sharper than any stone blade he had ever seen. The man has a scabbard on his belt, but it appears to be empty.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:04 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Shoot, I was hoping to get a steel blade to wield against them. :)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:52 pm
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq examined the knife - such a shiny stone he had not seen the likes of before. He ran his finger down the edge and admired how sharp it was. "This is ... strange. It would make skinning those whales so much easier." He held it out to Tornuaq to examine, and said "Hide it away on you after you're done checking it out."

ooc: If I remember correctly, you put some skills into knife, didn't you? I'm good at spear and club... so you're welcome to this.

He went over to examine the shiny chest shirt and tested the weight, "So heavy. It would really slow the dogs down. Why would someone wear stone to keep warm?"

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 am
by Andrew

OOC: No, I took sword and spear... however what's a spear but a dagger on a really big stick.

Tornuaq examined the stone and was amazed by it, of course he too had never seen anything quite like it. "It is so strange, and almost colder than the air around us. I do not know why this man would want such skin. When he awakens, do you think he will understand our words brother?"

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:39 am
by ImpInTraining

"I had not considered that. He probably will not understand us. How do you suppose we should speak with him? I guess we could act out our words," Unulaq suggested with concern. "This man will wake up in a strange place, surrounded by strange people - perhaps people similar to someone he had a fight with not too long ago. He will be frightened, perhaps... maybe even defensive. I would suggest tying his hands together, but that would certainly give him the wrong impression."

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:28 pm
by Andrew

"I guess we need to just remain calm, move slowly and smile a lot. Maybe that will show we are friendly." At that Tornuaq takes off his coat and draps it over the man's shoulders, even with the fire going it was cold out and lying in the wet cold snow just made the cold even worse as it sunk into your bones.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:05 am
by DSIGFUSS
The pale faced stranger grunts when Tornuaq drapes his fur over him. He settles into the fur like a babe into his mother's arms. It's almost cute to see the wild man appear so vulnerable. Unulaq and Tornuaq can't help but smile.

Then from behind them, another terrible Beluga shrieking noise echoes across the beach. It seems the lone swimming Beluga had followed Unulaq down the beach. Only twenty feet from the shore, the Beluga pops his head out of the water and watches the three men warming themselves by the fire.

Something doesn't seem right with the whale.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:14 am
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq says, "I am going to take a closer look at this Beluga. With any luck, it hasn't sprouted feet like its friends and will not be a threat so long as I keep my distance."

He hefts up his spear and starts walking back toward the water's edge, not making any aggressive actions. He is simply curious.

"What can I do for you, Beluga? We have not the strength to carry your brothers and sisters back to the water," he comments loudly... not really expecting an answer.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:20 am
by DSIGFUSS
To Unulaq's surprise. The Beluga speaks in a deep hollow voice.

Give me the foreigner Thule! I will feed on his bones and deliver his white skin to my brothers!

0/1 Sanity check please.

Spot Hidden check.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:29 am
by ImpInTraining

Sanity check (80%) (1d100=99) lose 1 sanity ... can't edit my character sheet though.

Unulaq fell backwards, dropping his spear as he scrambled back a few feet from the bizarre form of a talking whale. "How is it ... possible? How are you speaking to me?"

He stood up, swallowing back his fear of the unknown for the moment and was too amazed and confused with the event to notice much else. He stated, "The waters are full of fish. Why is it you need to feast on this pale man?"

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:42 am
by DSIGFUSS
The Beluga moves closer to the shore. It is now less than 10 ft from the beach.

We can't allow this fleshling to live. He cannot reach the mountain! Now throw him into the water now! I grow tired of speaking with you lessor creatures. Give me the Viking! Now!

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:49 am
by ImpInTraining

"Hey now... lessor creature? There's no call to be offensive," Unulaq said, growing a little angry. "So he's a ... Viking? Never heard of it." The Inuit looked over his shoulder at the man where he lay nestled in the fur, then back to the waters. Unulaq bent down and picked up his spear again, glad to have it in his grip in this time of uncertainty. "If you give me good reason we should side with you over this man, I will abide by your wishes. But so far, you've done nothing but demand action of me. Do I look like your sled dog?"

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:38 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq looked over at Unulaq with a slight confused looked, from where he sat it almost looked as if he was having a conversation with the Beluga. He smiled at the ridiculous thought and started to stoke the fire.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:41 pm
by DSIGFUSS

A dog yes! My dog? No! If you were my dog, I'd have already beaten you for your insolence.

The Beluga swims even closer to the shore, now no more than five feet from the edge of the beach where the drop off begins. Any closer and the whale will Beach itself. He continues in his hollow voice.

I grow weary of your stink human. Hand me the Viking male or join him.

Tornuaq - spot hidden
Tornuaq - Listen

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:52 pm
by Andrew

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:16 pm
by DSIGFUSS
As the Beluga moves in closer to the shore, Tornuaq can hear it actually speaking to Unulaq and in their own native tongue. Perhaps not as startled as Unulaq, Tornuaq notices something even more disturbing. The Beluagas eyes are red.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:24 pm
by Andrew

Tornuaq moves over to Unulaq, "I see you have a new friend that demands a lot for such insults. Let us back away, this is obviously no normal Beluga, it's eyes are red even."

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:09 pm
by ImpInTraining

Unulaq turned to Tornuaq as he spoke, then looked back at the Beluga, looking at the red eyes. "Strange... not that anything has been ordinary here," he commented. To the speaking whale, Unulaq said, "Well, if we must be enemies, then at least give me the benefit of knowing who it is that I should fear. What is your name?"

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:56 pm
by DSIGFUSS

We are Ijiraat and that is all you must know to fear us. We were here long before you and will be here long after your people are dust and snow. Give me the Viking male and leave this beach. You were not meant to witness.

The Beluga moves even closer to the beach and then disappears below the surface of the ocean.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:57 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq chuckled. "We are Ijiraat... so these other Beluga are helping you? Doesn't look like you get along all that well on dry land. So good luck with any hopes of world conquest." He started walking backwards, keeping his eyes on the strange talking whale as he returned to the Viking.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:17 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq followed his brother's lead, "Do you think it was wise to talk to the Ijiraat like that? What if they are all powerful? Or maybe this is a test from Sedna?"

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:00 am
by ImpInTraining
"A wise man I may never be, but I do know that I do not like something coming up from nowhere ordering me about as if I were some sled dog. If they were all powerful, I do not think we would find so many of them beached on their bellies and vulnerable to our spears and clubs. If it was Sedna, she would have told us as much. She's not humble," Unulat responded.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:42 pm
by Andrew
"I agree that the way he spoke was uncalled for but still... Whatever happens next brother you know you can count on me to be by your side." Tornuaq stated as he held his sword in front of him.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:00 pm
by DSIGFUSS
A few moments of silence pass between the two brothers as they wait by the water's edge. Suddenly the water breaks and the Beluga, now covered in a strange white fur, beaches itself right in front of the two Eskimo hunters. It's tail and fins begin to shake and thrash as they dissolve and bubble away. It's head collapses in on itself and giant pearly white teeth sprout from where the Beluga's head once was. A large black nose, not unlike a dog's, begins to bubble and pop amongst the newly formed teeth. From beneath the fleshy carnage, Unlulaq and Tornuaq can see fresh limbs growing and pulsating with veiny life. The smell is aweful and the sight and sounds of ripping flesh and stretching muscle are horrifying to winess.

OOC - Sanity checks boys. If you pass them, you can act before the change resolves itself. If you fail you must simply watch. 2/1d6+1

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:55 am
by Andrew
OOC: Sanity Check 80% (1d100=41, 1d100=72)

Tornuaq gripped Unulaq's shoulder and start to move backwards, "What is that thing!" He yelled, still holding onto his brother's shoulder he headed to the sled, drawing his sword.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:16 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Sanity (79%) (1d100=31) So I've lost three so far - reminder... you have to make the change on my character sheet. ;)

Unulaq couldn't believe his eyes ... but he knew that things weren't looking very good for them. The creature wasn't water-bound after all. "Must be what all the Beluga was running from. Fight or run... fight or run..."

Unulaq knew that after his insolence this creature would be coming for him... maybe after it was done with the Viking. So he hefted up his spear and said, "This might be the only time it is weak. Attack now!" He charged in with his spear to jab the thing in the neck.

ooc: Spear (70%) (1d100=1) Critical hit! Can you believe it?

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:39 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Ok, looked it up and it doesn't really specify about strength damage inclusive in the double damage. What it says is to 'roll the attack damage twice and add them together'. So I assume that means with strength damage. I'm also assuming I'm using a thrusting spear (vice a throwing spear). Impale damage with the spear. (1d8+1=9, 1d4=1, 1d8+1=4, 1d4=4) for a total of 18 damage. Not bad, considering 13 is maximum for normal damage.

With calculated precision, Unulaq lept up and brought the spear down into the creature's neck and pushed it further, trying to seek out those vulnerable internal organs. "Can a dog do this?" he called out angrily.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:19 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Sanity Check 80% (1d100=41, 1d100=72)

Tornuaq quickly noted that his brother didn't move back, in fact he went forward and attacked the beast. When he mentioned that this might be the only time it's vulnerable, Tornuaq agreed and jumped into the fray and missed his attack horribly

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:55 pm
by ImpInTraining
Ok you guys both will get to go first. Your dex is higher than his total inititaitve roll in polar bear form. Roll strikes and tell me what you want to do.

ooc: Hey Andrew, your posted rolls are confusing the hell out of me. The last roll posted was the same as the one before... and why did you roll two sanity checks? Color me baffled.

DSIGFUSS, this club of mine ... is it something I carry with me, like dangling on my belt or something? Have to ask because the spear, once impaled, takes a round to pull out. Might be just be a better idea to leave it and start clubbing the snot out of this thing.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:34 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - It's most likely slung around your back. Yeah I read that thing about the impaling. I like it.

Unulaq impales the frothing beast on the end of it's spear. It howls in pain and backs towards the waters edge snarling and spitting at Unulaq. Still in mid transformation, the beast is forced to continue reshaping its body.

What once was a Belagu whale, now stands a giant blood soaked polar bear, Unulaq's spear imbedded in it's neck. It looks weak but maintains its ferocity when cornered.

The Viking man.... must die!

The bear now completely transformed stands up on its hind legs and roars. The red eyes of the Ijiraat burn red with vengeance.

Tornuaq and Unulaq ready themselves for a second go at the beast.

ooc - inits! (roll 1d10), plus your actions.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:45 pm
by Andrew
OOC: ? (1d10=3)

Tornuaq's eyes open wide and he attacks with his sword.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:51 pm
by Andrew
ImpInTraining wrote:ooc: Hey Andrew, your posted rolls are confusing the hell out of me. The last roll posted was the same as the one before... and why did you roll two sanity checks? Color me baffled.

OOC: Same here Tom, that was supposed to be my attack roll. I'm not sure how it showed up as my sanity check again. Also I rolled the sanity check because I forgot what this meant: 2/1d6+1. The 2/ is what got me confussed.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:16 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Sanity checks ... either you make them, or you don't. Sometimes, no matter if you make the sanity check or not, you're going to lose sanity. If you make the check, it is typically not as bad as if you don't make the check. In this case, we either lost 2 sanity points if we made the check, or 1d6+1 sanity points if we failed. That's what the 2/1d6+1 means.

As far as initiative goes, I'm not sure what that means, 1d10+actions? Initiative (1d10=3)

Also, does pulling out my club count as an action? Or should I just go ahead and attack with it?

Unulaq looked at his spear, knowing it would be too risky to try pulling it out now that the transformation was complete. "Did you see that? It just ... changed!" He twisted at his shoulders, and the force of the inertia swung his club around to his front side, where he grabbed it and pulled the strap off from over his head. With club in hand, he bravely set forth to club the bear to submission.

ooc: You're not going to believe this... Club (60%) (1d100=1)

Club (damage) (1d6+1=3, 1d4=2, 1d6+1=6, 1d4=2) total of 13.

BTW - I noticed I screwed up on damage for the spear last round. I used a Viking thrusting spear, and not one of the Eskimo spears. Rerolled using a stone spear damage: stone spear (damage) (1d6+1=7, 1d4=1, 1d6+1=7, 1d4=1) for a total of 16.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:26 pm
by DSIGFUSS
As far as initiative goes, I'm not sure what that means, 1d10+actions? Initiative (1d10=3)
actions: I just meant roll 1d10 and then post your action. What your character is going to do. In this game 1d10 is added to your DEX score to get your initiative. Still the highes tgoes first. I like it better cuz it gives those with lower DEX scores the chance to not always go last.

Sorry for the confusion.

ooc- Holy crap nice hit again. The reason I didn't want Maniitok leaving before was so you'd have some help with this guy. But no help needed with Unulaq the destroyer and his magical can of whoop ass!

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:33 pm
by ImpInTraining
ooc: Ah, thanks for explaining. :D

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq readies himself for a charge but it's not needed. Unulaq swings his whale bone club round his head in an impressive arc and then crashes it down on the polar bear's skull. His head crushes beneath the sheer force of the impact. His eyes go dark as the bear slumps lifeless to the snow and then begins to slip into the dark, icy water.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:07 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq dropped his club behind him and grabbed hold of his spear still impaled in the creature's neck and tried to keep the creature from sinking away. "Give me a hand, Tornuaq! I don't want to lose this thing."

ooc: If the creature does sink away, at least he'll still have his spear.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:20 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq dropped his sword in the snow and raced forward to help drag the creature out. "You deserve Maniitok's sister, you are the better out of us." He said with a sad expression as he tried to drag the thing onto land.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:02 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq chuckled, "I know ... but let's not ruin the game."

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:19 am
by Andrew
"I'm not deserving of her, I will settle for one of the other woman in the village and hope death comes swiftly." Tornuaq stated his expression was almost fitting except for a sly little smile at the corner of his mouth.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:51 am
by ImpInTraining
"Bah... a couple of lucky hits doesn't determine the winner of a woman's heart. Besides, no one but you were here to see it." He frowned suddenly, "Pity ..."

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:16 pm
by Andrew
Suddenly Tornuaq's face brightens up, "Ha! Lucky hits! You said it!" He laughs heartily and says, "No brother, I will tell the truth of how you slew the beast... I have to admit though with how he was so boostful he did got down rather easily." At that Tornuaq drew the 'vikings' highly polished dagger and slit the bear's throat once he was up on land. "Just in case."

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:45 pm
by DSIGFUSS
With great painstaking effort, the two brothers pull the carcass of the polar bear up onto land. Upon closer inspection, they can see that the bears eyes are black as coals and on the belly of the beast is a brand. This symbol is burned into the creatures's fur.

ooc - how close to the ocean did you make the fire?

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:19 pm
by Andrew
OOC: I'd say about 50 to 100 feet away. Want to keep the viking away from it so he doesn't get any more wet than he already is.

Tornuaq scratches his head at the symbol and then looked to Unulaq for an explanation, it seemed that whenever Tornuaq was confused at something, Unulaq always knew the answers, then again some of them sounded like he was full of bearshit.

He could remember as a young man asking Unulaq why snow was wet. Unulaq's reply was, "Because if it was dry it would blow around and make you sneeze, like dust. How would you hunt then if you were sneezing and scaring away the animals?" 'Bearshit, dry snow wouldn't be dust... would it?' Tornuaq thought to himself.

"Well brother, what would you say that symbol means? An igloo sliding down a mountain?" Tornuaq smiled and laughed.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:51 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq put his hands behind his back observantly and shook his head, "Quite obviously, it is the sign of the penguin from behind the wall. See it's bill?" He smiled. "Well, whatever this creature was, at least it left a nice fur that we can make into a blanket. I'm glad I only had to stab it in the neck. No one likes a blanket with holes."

Unulaq looked to the Beluga to see if they seemed a little more at ease now that this creature had been slayed, as if they might have been fleeing from it. "What if this creature consumes its bodies? Look at that one spot where the Beluga was, but is gone. Maybe this creature absorbed it somehow to take the shape we first saw... and it absorbed a polar bear before. Then ... when we gave it the Viking, it would have been man-shaped. The only tell-tale signs appear to be red eyes and this strange brand." He pointed to the spot where the missing Beluga was and said, "Go look for polar bear prints over there... I am curious. I'll make sure our company is still comfortably sleeping."

With that, Unulaq started heading back to where the Viking lay.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:23 pm
by Andrew
"But brother, it was an Ijiraat they are shapeshifters. Also even though we are the only ones who witnessed it, soon we will forget the encounter... although you did kill it. Maybe killing an Ijiraat will not make us forget." Tornuaq said, wondering if Unulaq had forgotten what a Ijiraat was. "However I do not recall the stories mentioning a symbol carved in them."

At that he got up to track a polar bear.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:16 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq shrugged on his way to check on the stranger, "I was never good with the stories of the Shaman. Always thinking of hunting, daydreaming. But what can you say about the missing Beluga? What other explanation is there?"

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:36 pm
by Andrew
"I agree that I have no other explanation of what's going on and yes, things do seem a lot stranger than just one Ijiraat. So what do you think we should do now? I was think we should maybe move closer to our sleds, if something happened we could put the stranger on it and let them run away while we fight anything that might come." Tornuaq stated while looking at the man, so helpless.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:12 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq shook his head defiantly. "Too much here to go to waste if we turn our back on it and give in to the scavengers. If you want to head back to the sleds with the Viking, I don't mind. But I'm staying here until Maniitok comes back with help." He said, "On the other hand, if you want to hang around with me, why not try that new knife out by skinning this bear?"

ooc: Oh yeah, at some point after getting the polar bear out of the water, Unulaq removed his spear.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:48 pm
by Andrew
"No, we either both stay or go." Tornuaq got up and tried the new knife on skinning the polar bear.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:48 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The Beluga whales continue their beautiful sad song through the ramaining few hours of sunlight leading into mid day. Tornuaq begins to skin the Ijiraat and is simply amazed at the ease at which the shiny blade separates skin from muscle. He can't help but imagine that such a gift would trump any heroic deep or feat of strength Unulaq might have to offer Maniitok's sister. Tornuaq could have any girl in the village if he gave them the shiny blade as a wedding present.

As Tornuaq cut into the Ijiraat, he noticed something strange about the beast. There were bright green sacs that still pulsed with life all through the Ijiraat's musclular system. Tornuaq touches one by accident with his knife and it squirts a bright pus over the fur. The Ijiraat's arm begins then begins to slowly bubble and froth out of control. (Much like the Beluga did before it turned into the bear) In moments, the skinned paw of the bear is a hoof and the thick arm quickly become more slender and long.

Tornuaq - Sanity check 0/1

Meanwhile Unulaq searches the area where the Beluga once lied, this time looking for anything out of the ordinary. He quickly spots a set of gull prints walking away from the deep whale imprint in the snow. The bird prints take a few steps towards the sea and then stop. The bird obviously took flight.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:38 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq felt like he might loose his lunch but nothing else as he made a face of disgust. When it started to sprout back Tornuaq yelled to Unulaq, "Brother! Come quick! You must see this!" He shouted loudly before he gripped the knife, inverted it and was ready to plunge the blade home repeatedly until it stopped growing.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:52 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq was kneeling and tracing a gull's track when he heard Tornuaq calling. Unulaq ran quickly, hefting his spear up in case there was danger. "What is it... it is still dead, right?" He quickly stopped running as he saw the deformed, partially skinned bear. "What did you do to it?" He asked staring at the long, slender, hoofed foot. "Don't do that again until after you're done skinning it, whatever that was. That skin has not as much fur as the bear."

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:00 pm
by Andrew
OOC: I'm under the impression that the thing is regenerating... like a troll in D&D, am I correct?

"I accidentally pop one of those green slime sacks. With those things there it will be more difficult to skin the bear." Tornuaq stated he then looked at the green slime on the polished blade and sniffed it. "Today as seen many a strange thing indeed."

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:23 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - could be regenerating or simply reacting to the touch of your knife.

Tornuaq watches the cloved hoof grow out of the dead bear and then stop. The bear showed no sign of life and the bubbling of blood and tissue stops after the leg fully forms itself. Other green sacs begin to pulsate for a moment and then they too stop. The Ijiraat's eyes, now black, swirl with red as the green putrid sacs tense and shake with life. When the Ijiraat ends its transformation, the eyes return to their black glassy state and the sacs remain still and disgusting.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:16 pm
by Andrew
Tornuaq looked to Unulaq and said, "I guess I could pop the other sacks and we could fight it again." He stated with a grim smile, he then careful went back to skinning the bear.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:14 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - Tornuaq roll Idea check

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:40 am
by Andrew
OOC: Idea Check 55% (1d100=52) Talk about close!

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:15 am
by ImpInTraining
"We should cut these sacks off and give them to the shaman. She'll know what to do with them," Unulaq suggested.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:52 pm
by Andrew
"I don't know if I can cut them out without popping them but I will try." Tornuaq commented.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:26 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Tornuaq begins to slice around the fleshy sacs with the pale faced stranger's wonderful new blade. It cuts through the connective tissue like blubber. He accidently cuts into one and the sacs and a large patch of the polar bear's skin begin to bubble. The fur retracts back into the skin and becomes brown and wrinkly. Fat begins to form all around Tornuaq's knife. Instinctively, he jerks the knife away and watches the fat grow in every direction, unfettered by the constricting skin.
Tornuaq recognizes the meat....... walrus.

After the bubbling ceases, Tornuaq finally removes one of the sacs in tact.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:43 am
by ImpInTraining
"That is one nasty creature. So I wonder if ingesting this stuff gives you the ability to change shapes ... want to try?" Unulaq grins mischievously. "With my luck, it just makes you think you are high and mighty."

"Go ahead... double-dog-dare you."

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:21 am
by Andrew
"I think I would loose my stomach before I ever got it close to my mouth. However the meat is walrus... I don't understand, are the Ijiraat just actually walrus?" Tornuaq sits on a rock and studies the man's knife for a moment, "If we had more of these, our lives would be made a lot easier, I wonder if he has more or can tell us how he made the stone so smooth and sharp."

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:36 am
by DSIGFUSS

Tornuaq inspects the shiny blade more carefully. It catches the light and sparkles. He turns it over seveal times, noting the strange markings scribed into a dark stone on the blade's hilt.

The blade feels right in Tornuaq's hands. When he focuses on the blade he swears he can hear a chorus of beautiful voices ringing through his fingers each time the light catches the blade. He has a sudden urge to move towards the mountains. Something important lies deep in that range of rock and ice. His people avoided the mountains in the winter. They were perilous and there was no reason to go. In the spring, Tornuaq and Maniitok would collect gull eggs on Mount Qaisualuk, but there was no forseeable reason to venture there in the winter. As Tornuaq thought on the blade and the mountains, a scenic picture flashed in his mind's eye.

ooc - Tornuaq - roll Own Kingdom check.

ooc - Meanwhile, Unulaq roll a spot Hidden check.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:12 am
by Andrew
OOC: Not by a long shot: Own Kingdom 40% (1d100=81)

Tornuaq stood and looked in the direction of the mountains, "I have to go to the mountains Unulaq, I can't explain it but the knife is telling me I must go. I even know where in the mountains I must go but I don't know where it's located exactly. Will you come with me?"

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:22 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq chuckled, "You have been sitting in the sun too long." He laughed a little bit, then looked back at Tornuaq, seeing the look on his friend's face. "You are serious? The mountains are too treacherous to climb right now. You know that. Besides, we cannot leave this man alone. Who knows if the Ijiraat was alone or has others in the area."

Spot Hidden (70%) (1d100=18)

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 pm
by Andrew
"I have to go Unulaq. We can put him by the dogs and build a fire for him there, the elders will be there soon, he should be safe. I have never felt something so strong pulling me towards something, it's as if the mountains themselves are calling to me. I want very much for you to go as well brother but if I have to I will go at it alone." Tornuaq stated, a weak smile on his face. He was confused at this feeling, "I think maybe that's where this man wanted to go as well but that's just a guess."

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:42 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq shook his head in disappointment. "You are not thinking straight. You know a journey into the mountains this time of year is near certain death... especially if you go alone. If you must go, then wait for the others to get here, and then I will go with you. But I am not leaving this man here alone ... and I am not leaving him with our dogs. We do not know anything about him or how he will react when he wakes up."

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:55 am
by DSIGFUSS
The blade continues to humm in Tornuaq's hands. The image of the mountains flashes in front of him again and again. Tornuaq still doesn't recognize the mountain, but the blade whispers to Tornuaq in the Dorset tongue. The voice sounds old and tired.

North..... Odin...

Unulaq briefly looks over his shoulder. He quickly notices the ocean had gained at least six feet on the beach since he had last noticed it. No tide rises that quickly.

ooc - Tornuaq Sanity check 1/1d6

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:10 pm
by Andrew
OOC: Sanity 78% (1d100=63)

Tornuaq gripped the knife a little tighter, "North... Odin..." He repeated.

"Unulaq, I have to go. The knife is telling me to go to the mountains, it's voice is elder. I do not know who this Odin is but perhaps he can explain what has happened here today or perhaps..." He paused and said in a softer tone compared to the excited one he was just speaking in, "Perhaps Odin is the cause for these strange things today."

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:48 pm
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq turns away from the ocean toward Tornuaq, "Is it really worth your life to find that out? You do not even have your climbing gear with you. How do you expect to climb anywhere?" He looked at the knife with suspicion... "Put the knife down and think about what you are saying for a while. Whatever answers in the mountains ... they probably have been there a long time and will probably wait there patiently for a long time to come."

He pointed out at the ocean, "Look, Sedna is trying to help her children. We should move further back from the coast."

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:32 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq looked at the knife, then at the shore and then to Unulaq. He took several paces away from the shore and plunged the knife in the icy ground and then walked back to Unulaq. "Yes, we should move farther inland." He said in a monotonous tone.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:59 am
by DSIGFUSS
As Tornuaq throws the knife into the snow, the pale faced stranger groans. He quickly curls back close to the fire and resumes his labored breathing. Unulaq looks out over the sea. He can see huge waves forming on the water far off in the distance. Thunder cracks. Even further south, Unulaq could see giant storm clouds moving in ways nature did not intend, funneling into each other miles away over the open sea. The waves, however, will be on them soon.

Tornuaq's visions of the mountains to the North quickly subside. He knows if he picks up the blade again and holds it in his hands, he will have to go. Only one thing still bothers him. Tornuaq knows that noonelse but him will ever touch it again.

Tornuaq-Sanity check. 0/1
Unualaq - Sanity check 0/1

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:14 am
by Andrew
OOC: Sanity 77% (1d100=14)

Tornuaq stares at the knife, even though it's charm was broken it somehow still had a hold of him. Dammit! How could he let such a thing go? It was obvious that he needed to go to the mountains, it was important for him to. However he knew that Unulaq was right, winter, no gear, it was suicide.

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:42 am
by ImpInTraining
Unulaq shook his head at the weather change, "Not good at all." He turned to face Tornuaq and said, "So ... you still feel like climbing some mountains? Not good weather coming in for it. If not, then I suggest we wrap that knife up in something so that we are not touching it ... maybe you can give it to someone you do not like." He chuckled at the thought. "Anyway, we need to move. Let us get this man back to the dog sleds. Hopefully, these poor Beluga will be freed from their predicament very soon... but I do not particularly want to match their fate."

Unulaq made sure the clothes and furs on the Viking were snug enough that they wouldn't come off while he was being moved, then reached down and tried to carry the man by himself for some distance. He was strong ... and could manage it for a little distance, but the gangly dead weight of the man was burdensome. "Tornuaq, give me a hand carrying him."

With Torunuaq on one side, and Ululaq on the other, they put the viking's arms over their shoulders and held on with their outside hand. Their inside hand wrapped around the leg closest to them, and they began carrying him in that fashion. It wasn't the most comfortable way to move, but it was a lot easier on Unulaq.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:47 pm
by Andrew
As they moved inland and set up a small camp again, Tornuaq turned to Unulaq and asked, "So now what? When the elders come what do we do then?" Tornuaq still wanted the knife, it was almost burning in him to hold it again but he knew that he must wait, when the elders came things would be made clear, he would tell them about the knife and what it showed him.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:17 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Unulaq and Tornuaq move up the beach and build another campfire to keep the pale faced stranger warm. He shakes violently until the fire is finally built back up again. The three men sit peacefully and watch wave after wave, (some 13ft high) come crashing down, slowly covering the beach. Soon the water will even reach the Belugas as Unulaq had expected. The Beluga whales continue their song, clearly fightened by the anger of the sea.

OC- You will be fine until dark. An hour or two. Feel free to discuss what just happened or just chat amongst yourselves. I will be reading your thread every day but maybe not posting. If at any point you want to speed things up just pm me and I'll make time pass.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:41 am
by ImpInTraining
ooc: and me without my surfboard.

"Do not worry too much about what is to come." Unulaq watches the angry waters as the crash upon the rocky beach. He says "You know ... I hope that water does free the Belugas. I mean... we'll seem crazy to the others that come, but at least all those creatures will not die. And we can hunt them another day."

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:10 pm
by Andrew
"It would have been nice for them to see us with our spears standing in front of all those Beluga. That would have been an impressive site!" Tornuaq said with a smile. He looked out to the seas and wondered what Sedna was so enraged over, he then looked over at the man sleeping and again wondered about him. As hard has he tried to not look at the knife, his eyes fell upon it anyway and the urge to pick it up swelled again, at that he looked at his brother and just smiled.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:06 am
by ImpInTraining
If Tornuaq didn't grab the knife and wrap it in something, Unulaq will. He'll take some of the skin that Tornuaq pealed off of the shapeshifter and wrap that around the knife before picking it up and sliding it into his boot for storage.

"Hopefully, as long as I do not touch it, it will not hold power over me," Unulaq states.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:10 am
by Andrew
Tornuaq merely shrugged, he didn't know the answer.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:12 am
by DSIGFUSS
Just as Unulaq suspected, the water rises quickly as the giant waves roll onto the beach, one after another. The ocean reaches the Beluga and soon the whales are swimming freely, edging themselves back into the open water. A few linger for a short while and sing out, eying the two Dorset warriors. Just after noon, the two brothers watch the sun begin to set over the horizon. The colors boucing off the whale and the ocean are spectacular to see. The corpse of the Ijiirat floats slowly out to see and sinks. The Belugas ignore this before they too disappear into the icy depths.

The pale faced stranger stirs once again and he screams out in fear or pain.... neither brother could tell for he spoke a tongue so native and harsh he seemed to spit and hack his own words. The stranger then quickly slips back into his restful sleep and every so often Unulaq and Tornuaq hear him weep.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:13 am
by DSIGFUSS
Proceed to Chapter 2