IC: On the third floor

From the times when the investigator split up.
Includes Private Message Transcipts
All of these threads are hyperlinked in and out of the main Chapter One IC & OOC threads.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

warhammer
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by warhammer »

coffee demon wrote: While searching, he asks Thomas, "You're sure it's alright for us to stick around? Do we need to think up a story?"

"Self defense, and protecting other people from mouth-foaming madmen." answers Thomas. "Not only is this a good reason that makes us stand on the safe side of the law, most importantly it's the truth as well. Either these guys were batshit insane, or they were drugged beyond recovery. We did the right thing, and offered them many times the chance to surrender."

Thomas frowns while looking at the dead bodies. He knew they had done all they could, but he still couldn't help thinking how messy the whole situation had been. The team was just supposed to go meet somebody and it had turned into a gorefest.
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

warhammer wrote:
coffee demon wrote: While searching, he asks Thomas, "You're sure it's alright for us to stick around? Do we need to think up a story?"

"Self defense, and protecting other people from mouth-foaming madmen." answers Thomas. "Not only is this a good reason that makes us stand on the safe side of the law, most importantly it's the truth as well. Either these guys were batshit insane, or they were drugged beyond recovery. We did the right thing, and offered them many times the chance to surrender."

"Agreed," replied Timour finishing his search, "the truth is our best tactic. Besides, this scum had it coming."
You sleep well tonight because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf...

-Orson Wells
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Neither of the dead men have any identification on them, but Andrei does find a flyer for a lecture about “The Cult of Darkness” in the inside pocket of the dead assassin.

Rummaging through the Hudson, Timour finds enough to establish that the car is registered to a Thomas Witherspoon of Lenox Avenue, but that Witherspoon is aged 49 and white skinned. The white skinned assassin was in his mid 20s.

“Cult of Darkness” Flyer
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour shares the info about Witherspoon, "I think we should follow up on this lead. See who this Witherspoon is and if he's alright."
You sleep well tonight because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf...

-Orson Wells
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei stands. "The Cult of Darkness. NYU, tonight at eight." he reads aloud.

He looks at the three others as they search cars etc. "Fellows, I think we're in big trouble is these people associate us with Jackson."

I hope Elizabeth is OK.

Andrei memorizes the place of the lecture, and puts the card back in the assassin's pocket. Then he stands back, against Thomas' car, and waits for the police to arrive. His mind is whirring with the events of the past half-hour.

So, Jackson wasn't so crazy after all, I guess. We all need to sit down and figure this out.

"I have no idea how much danger we're in, but we need to be careful", he says out loud, to no one in particular.
Maksim Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Maksim Rukov »

Maksim hides his face in his hands. "A cult? Huh. This is just getting better and better. Lemme guess, we'll be tagging along to see what's happening? This is great, I mean, really."

He raises a hand. "Don't worry, I won't complain around Elizabeth. I know that she's going to be pretty upset but right now I feel the need to gripe." He smiles at Andrei. <<We will need to speak about wages at some point, of course, now that we know better just what the risks entail.>>

"Good shot, by the way, Timour,"
says Maksim. "I always envied you your aim. One lucky shot and I feel great, I can only imagine what you feel on a daily basis." <<I think, perhaps, the BAR should be within reach, even if we do need to hide it again. It would be helpful if ever we get into another car battle. Each to our own areas of expertise, and all that, I'm sure you'll agree Andrei.>> "The press and the police both seem like better angles for Andrei and Thomas' skills than mine. I hope we don't get held too long at the police, but then, with Thomas' knowledge and Andrei's circle of friends, it shouldn't take that long, really. I mean, Andrei's a very respected man. Sorry I couldn't be more help with the car, though."

He says it all with a sheepish smile, well aware that he's babbling a little, blushing ever so slightly at his rambling. His eyes are concerned, though, his brow a little furrowed.

"I'm glad to see you all made it through okay."
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei listens to Maks up to the point about "talking about wages", then tunes him out and nervously watches the police cars come around the corner, further up the street.
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour nods off his brother's flattery and then turns to behold the arriving police. Like keystone cops they clamour about the city looking for trouble and obviously always being late to deal with it.

"I'd say these 'johnny laws' are lucky that there are private citizens around to do their job for them. Else they might have to get their pretty uniforms sullied."

-Orson Wells
Maksim Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Maksim Rukov »

<<And without enough time to settle on a story,>> Maksim says in a reasonably quiet voice. He could never be sure who could speak what language. His eyes widen and he walks over to Thomas, leaning in to whisper to him. "I have a shoulder holster for a handgun I'm not licensed to carry. What am I supposed to say about that?"
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour doesn't say anything to the cops, even if questioned, he merely shakes his head as though he doesn't understand. If pushed he indicates to the others and mumbles only Russian, refusing to speak English to the police, unless they ask about his gun, then he'll have Andrei or Maksim translate for him.

If the issue of his sidearm is raised he shrugs it off. He's a bodyguard after all, if they have issues with it they can speak with his employer's legal counsil.

He will not resist arrest.

-Orson Wells
warhammer
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by warhammer »

"No need to think too hard to figure out this cult is some really big thing." says Thomas. "And they obviously have secrets to protect... Secrets that are worth killing as many people as they see fit. Why the hell do they think they have impunity to do this? I'm going to show them otherwise."

Thomas is slightly annoyed when he learns of the existence of Maksim's shoulder holster. "Why didn't you tell me about it earlier?" he says. "It's a tad late to get rid of it now."

He quickly thinks about the issue, remembering what the normal penalties would be for carrying illegal handguns (whether this could be settled with money or if stronger penalties such as jail time would be involved), and which laws they could use to their advantage to protect Maksim and Timour and avoid any kind of penalty.

"Avoid the handgun issue for now, and just tell the truth." Thomas instructs the rest of the group before the cops arrive. "People have been killed and we don't want the cops to find out one of us is lying, it wouldn't do us any good."
Maksim Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Maksim Rukov »

Maksim's sheepishness grows at Thomas' disapproval. He feels stupid, out of his depth and the very reality of their situation has just hit him. Perhaps he wasn't the best type of person for this contract. He decided that if they managed to get out of this, he'd find some way to bow out of the arrangement. It wasn't as though Timour would require any armed back-up. That man could shoot a fly off a fifth floor window if he put his mind to it.

He'll be very placid and easy-going with the police, determined to look less like a trouble maker and more like a concerned citizen. He'll be quietly obedient and softly spoken and will try to say as little as possible without legal counsel present.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

[OOC: Don't have time just now for a full post, but I'll say that either Thomas, or one of the Downings' pet lawyers, can argue any charges down to "Misdomeaner Possession" with a successful Law or Credit Rating Roll.

There will be a smallish fine (no problem for the Downings), the pistols will be confiscated, and the Rukovs will not be allowed a Handgun Permit unless Thomas (or whoever can make a second Law roll, and Elizabeth a credit rating roll).]

[OOC: Don't have time just now for a full post, but I'll say that either Thomas, or one of the Downings' pet lawyers, can argue any charges down to "Misdemeanor Possession" with a successful Law or Credit Rating Roll (they used the guns, which probably makes it “Felony Possession,” but only to protect themselves and the public).

There will be a smallish fine (no problem for the Downings), the pistols will be confiscated, and the Rukovs will not be allowed a Handgun Permit unless Thomas (or whoever) can make a second Law roll, and Elizabeth a credit rating roll.

To be honest, I’m not sure of the punishments during the 20s anyway for illegal weapon possession.

I'll be back later with a "real post"]

Return to “Private Threads(Ch 1)”