OOC: Chapter 1 - NEW YORK, Starts 12th Jan 1925

New York - 12th to 27th January 1925

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Laraqua »

I always saw psychology as understanding what others are feeling or trying to do whereas persuade was something that dealt with manipulating others' perceptions, beliefs or feelings. Surely if I was putting on an act, I'm trying to persuade others to see me a certain way.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Ack! All the guests arrive and the hostess is nowhere to be found. My fault for sleeping, I guess. :wink:
warhammer
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by warhammer »

Laraqua wrote: I always saw psychology as understanding what others are feeling or trying to do whereas persuade was something that dealt with manipulating others' perceptions, beliefs or feelings. Surely if I was putting on an act, I'm trying to persuade others to see me a certain way.

Persuade is rather the "long version" of fast talk, where you actually expose a point of view and try to convince other people that you're right; but while fast talk involves making things up on the spot for a one-sentence lie (for example), persuade takes actual reasoning (whether it's a good reasoning or a fallacious one) and is lengthier as it involves spending a certain amount of time exposing your viewpoint.

I reckon Psychology should be used for whatever concerns feelings and moods - whether you try to detect them in others, or conceal your own.

Now what does conceal do? Is that hiding something on your person?

What would you roll to notice someone stealing a nonchalant peek at something?

Yes, Conceal involves concealing an item, on your person or in a room for example. The difference with Hide is that Hide involves hiding yourself.

I would roll Spot Hidden for noticing someone stealing a peek.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

You seem to have these rules down pat Wh, why aren't you a keeper? :lol:
warhammer
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by warhammer »

I was a keeper once :P
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Raiko »

Remarkably Thomas guessed almost right

My god! He can predict the future, perhaps I should make some sanity rolls ;)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Oh well, I still rolled brilliantly.

Shame that wasn't my Dodge or Drive Auto roll or even Persuade the guards roll.

*hangs head*

I roll well to hide my shame but not to do anything impressive.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I was going to post this in the "swearing thread" that Coffee Demon started, but Lee locked it before I could post.
carnage_lee wrote: As fas as I'm concerned 'in character' swearing in the 'game forum' is ok - as long as it's not gratuitous or used to prop up poor or dull writing and is acceptable by the Keeper of the game.

However the Keeper of a game is that Forum's mederator and they are well within their remit to edit any posts to remove offensive words and phrases as they see fit - without recourse or justification.

For my Masks game I'd prefer it if you avoid 'strong' swearing where possible, I'd prefer you to post something like "Andrei curses loudly in Russian" (obviously this isn't an option with all of your characters).

This is because although I personally don't have a problem with strong language, I want the game to be readable to anyone who'd like to read it, and some people are very offended.

There is the potential in Masks for some very explicit content later on, and I've already made the decision to try a leave this to the imagination of the reader, I'll just post enough to stimulate the imagination.

Having said all that, I won't censor players posts in any way, although I will comment OOC if the game starts looking like an episode of Deadwood.

But to go back to Laraqua's point about The Getaway: In my opinion The Shield is just as gritty and adult a TV program as Deadwood, but manages to do it without the explicit language. This means that my wife will watch The Shield, but not Deadwood.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Andrei takes a hit to the sternum that splits him from groin to neck and sprays blood in a fifteen foot arch that saturates the gathered members in a gory mist of scarlet precipitation.

Staring on in horror the other members can only gawk in shock and revulsion as the Russian's entrails cascade to the cold, stone floor like so much loose butcher's meat.

Andrei in a last, horrific gurgle, gasps, "must...not swear, don't know... who may... read of this...”
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I don't really think anyone can best thewhatchamacallit's response. Ever.

*claps*

But then, that's assuming the Keeper in this campaign will include explicit gore.

Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

:lol::lol::lol:

Ahh, lets just say anything goes then, so long as it's in character. :)

The easily offended shouldn't be reading a horror forum anyway. ;)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Getting back to the game, I'll leave you to chat for now, once the conversation begins to dry up (or goes off track) I'll move time along.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

About the swearing:

I wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna go over the edge when I first asked, but people make a good argument for not swearing at all.

Best to err on the safe side - after all, how many amazing writers have written horror without using swears? Thats just my opinion though.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Timour still has that BAR in the back of his mind, he speaks with Elizabeth about it as soon as appropriate and insists that if he is to get such a handy weapon that she also allows him to get the proper paperwork to be able to use it in defense of self and others.

I figure she'll have the pull for this with both the local authorities and the state department.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

This one's for Laraqua/Whatcha..

When we first talked about our characters, we said we knew each other because one of you dated, or were engaged to, my sister at one time.

Are we still going with that? Who was the one, Maks? Also, any ideas why the engagement ended?

Just trying to build up more of a history between us, the happy trio :) Its cool that we can have an entirely seperate conversation in Russian.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Where is this @!#!%# swearing thread, anyway? I'm hoping to pick up some new phrases.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

In "forum guidelines" I asked how much swearing was OK. 8)
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

The one place I didn't look. Thanks. I'll try to limit my use of "sentence enhancers." :P
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Hint: if anybody wants to be paid by Elizabeth, or have her cover their expenses, they will need to ask her (or at least give her a hint). Although generous, she's not used to the idea of people needing money and has little experience with money matters. Feel free to roleplay this if you like, but you're also welcome to just assume that some financial agreement has been reached.

Not that the Russians aren't amusing, I'm just sayin. 8)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I'll have dated your sister. It's more amusing if it was Maks because he would have altered her philosophy, started having her question her station in life in relation to others, and all in all, ruined everything as she started talking to staff like real people, questioning what should be assumed as fact, and reading far too much!

Also, you would have had to deal with her crying when Maks slipped into one of his dark and sullen moods. I doubt she would have realised that Maks just does that sometimes, regardless of other people. When he's up, he's up ... and when he's down...

Return to “Chapter One”