ASH: Dahlia

Moderator: Laraqua

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: ASH: Dahlia

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Please don't be sad, Dahlia," says Lionel as he steers the trolley. "I shan't be long, and I assure you I will be careful. I have too much to live for to die now, and I know how much it would break Sarah's heart and yours. I have no intention of leaving you all alone, but I can't leave this other little girl alone either."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

A series of sniffles ensues, and Dahlia quietly rubs at her eyes and pulls a tissue from her pocket to blow her nose.

"Okay, if you say so..." she says doubtfully, peering into the darkness to watch.
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

As Lionel moves away, his breathing is loud, laboured by stress and fatigue, yet somehow reassuring, as for so long as Dahlia can hear his breath, she knows he is alive. She can hear her own heartbeat thudding between her ears. Hear her own breathing, louder than Lionel's, drowning his out. Try as she might to slow and quiet her breath, so that she can better hear his, it is as though through the act of focusing on it in order to quiet it, she merely makes her breathing more urgent. There is something frantic to the air. Perhaps it was in the motes of ash that flit about her gaze, thinner than in the hospital, but thick enough to fear. Ash that burned her lungs when she breathed it in.

The wheels make a soft creaking sound of rust and age, the broomstick softly brushing the linoleum, the water sloshing away, as he steers the trolley between two cabinets. To the left rises up a contraption of beakers and test tubes, bunsen burners and pippettes, while to the right lays a closed folder and a pencil case. It all has the manner of a chemistry classroom, rather than a laboratory. He hears a raspy coughing sound coming from further within the cabinets and a voice that croaks out a word he can't quite make out, though it sounds so familiar, as does she.

Somewhere, within the room, a machine hums a soft tune.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Fear not," says Lionel as he steers his trolley towards the cabinets where he heard the girl's voice, keeping his ears peeled. "Help is on the way! I'm almost there. Keep speaking so I can hear your voice. I know you from somewhere. You were at the hospital during the War. I remember you let us out of the pantry when I was stuck in there with Brianna, Ronald, and Agnes. You remember us, right? Hang in there, Dahlia, I shan't be that much longer. Think of something pleasant...think of Sarah! Remember how nice her hair smells, and how good it feels to hug her. Once we've rescued this girl we'll all go and find her, and Daniel, and all the others. Then we'll save the world, and we'll all go out for ice cream afterwards!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Ice cream?" croaks the voice as Lionel comes around the cabinets. He sees a mutilated figure, the skull fragments of her jaw coated by twitching muscle and flapping skin, blood running in a gush from her throat and down her clothing. She raises one scarred hand towards him, as though imploring him to help her. "Ice ... cream?" The blood froths as she speaks, somehow managing not to mangle her words in the process. Her fingers twitch as she reaches out for him. He recognises her clothing, even under all of the blood, even in the gloom ... Brianna.

SAN loss: 1/1d6+1

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"BRIANNA!!!" screams Lionel, his mind unravelling. The last vestiges of his sanity crumble away to nothing. "It's okay, sweetie, I'm a doctor, remember? I can...help...you...ice...cream..."

[OOC: I guess Lionel is yours now, though I wouldn't mind playing him at 0 Sanity. I had wondered if he might get an advance on the Sanity bonus for finding Sarah since he talked to her on the phone earlier, but considering the hit he took it probably wouldn't do any good. He's at 0 Sanity now, which makes him permanently insane. The rules say it is possible to recover from 0 Sanity, but it will take years. If he and Sarah both get through this alive, she'll certainly care for him and do her utmost to heal his broken mind. Ah, if only Dahlia had had the courage to go with him...]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Lionel's training as a doctor kicks in, and he immediately rushes to help Brianna and does his best to stop the bleeding. "Hang in there, Brianna, I'll save you!" he cried. "I was so worried that I'd never see you again. Sarah told me...you've met her, haven't you? Dahlia, come quickly, she needs help!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Lionel hops off the trolley, his shoes making a soft splashing sound in the crimson water. He tries to staunch the bleeding with his jacket but the gushing spurts simply soak through as he places it around her shattered skull. Her small hands latch onto his arm as he lifts her up and puts her onto the trolley, as any doctor would do when a patient required surgery. She hugs herself to him, trembling and twitching, blood soaking him. OOC: Luck Roll.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Luck is not with Lionel as he places Brianna aboard the trolley. "Agnes, get me some morphine, stat!" he calls, then smiles at Brianna as he tries to prep her for surgery. "Don't be afraid, my dear. You're in the best of hands. I just wish Sarah were here to help too. She told me how you burned her with the fire, but don't worry, she's not mad at you and neither am I. She's so terribly sorry about the scare she gave you. She didn't understand what she was doing, and she was frightened out of her mind."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The blood gushes across Lionel, smearing his face, as he lays the child upon the table.

Mr. Handy: POW vs. POW roll. Your POW vs. Dahlia's.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In spite of Lionel's mental state, he feels that his mind is as strong as ever as he feverishly works to save Brianna.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Lionel peers about the laboratory as the overhead electric lights come on, revealing that the high school chemistry laboratory obviously wasn't as large as he had expected. At least his attempts to deal with the wounds were obviously helping, the blood was no longer fountaining up, though Brianna's face was bleeding quite profusely. Still, he seemed to be doing well, there. However, there was another patient awaiting his care, sitting patiently on a counter despite being in obvious pain from appendicitis. A shame the war was on. It meant all sorts of places were being used as a hospital and this high school was no exception. He wondered idly if there was power to the computers and telephones, or if he could call for a nurse on his mobile phone. After all, now that power was back on he should be able to use such things better than before.

Dahlia sees the room is smaller, matching the description of high school chemistry laboratories more than a government facilities. However, the glass windows between this room and the next corridor looked more governmental than scholarly. The blood-splattered lighting merely revealed the great mess of gore and bullet holes that covered the room. A chemistry equation on the blackboard had several bloodied fingerprints near it, like someone injured had attempted to write it up. She saw, as the lights went on, a young girl with burn scars on her face ... yet the skin was far too waxy, the eyes vacant, much like a doll that has had its string cut. The girl isn't bleeding, and yet Lionel is sewing up pretend wounds on her face, and the little girl isn't even flinching away. Somehow, though, Lionel, himself, is covered in splatters of blood.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I'm definitely going to need some assistance here," says Lionel. He takes out his mobile phone and dials a familiar number. "This is Dr. Carpenter. I'm in the chemistry lab, and I'm going to need some help with the patients here. Please send a nurse over." He smiles at the patient on the counter. "Are you feeling okay? Let me know if it gets worse. As soon as Brianna is stable and the nurse gets here I'll be able to remove that wonky appendix of yours."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

[O.C. Woah...I missed a ton! I ddin't even realize we were back up and running....can one of you pm me next time?]

Dahlia scrambles from her seat when the lights go on, looking wide eyed at Brianna and feeling feeble and ineffective all at the same time. What can I possibly do?? Brianna? What happened? Oh my gosh!

She gives a woeful look at Lionel and asks simply, "Can I help you with something?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, my dear," says Lionel. "If you're feeling up to it, I could use some help. You said you helped Sarah earlier, didn't you? Brianna has lost a lot of blood, but I think she'll pull through. She's going to need a transfusion, though. Perhaps you could get me her chart so I can check her blood type."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Dahlia knits her brows together in thoughtful conquest of the chart and goes about looking for it.

"Wouldn't.....I... have to.....walk around the hospital for that? Like from wherever she was or something?" Dahlia looks somewhat confused as she deliberates where they might be and how they got there.

And how did Brianna get here anyways? With lots of blood and guts?

Dahlia feels a little faint and sticks her head between her knees for a moment.

"I'm okay....just a sec and I'll help you!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, you shouldn't go wandering around if it's not in this room," says Lionel. "I'd have thought they'd have brought the chart here, but no matter. I'm on the phone with someone who might be able to look it up. Let me know if the pain gets bad, and I'll help you. In the meantime, you can hand me things when I ask for them." He examines Brianna some more. "Even if we can't find out her blood type, we can always use O-negative blood, if there's any left. That's the universal donor type, so it can go into anyone." He speaks into the phone again. "Hello? Is anyone there? If you can find it, I'd also like to know Brianna's blood type. I think she's going to be okay, but she's hurt bad and she's lost a lot of blood, so she'll need a transfusion."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, thank you, nurse," says Lionel. "Goodbye." He ends the call and pockets the phone, then turns to Dahlia. "Well, the good news is that Brianna is stable for now. I also found out her blood type. However, it's O-negative, which means she can only receive O-negative blood and no other type. Still, it's not all that uncommon. I'm sure there will be some on hand, or failing that we'll find a donor. They're going to send another surgeon to remove your appendix, but I'm to get you ready." He looks for a clean surface that could serve as an operating table, removes whatever is upon it, and begins to wipe it off.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

"My appendix?" Dahlia looks somewhat startled and confused. What'dya mean? I already had it taken out just a few days ago!"

She backs away from Lionel and stares at him with a look of misplaced trust and sudden realization.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You've already had your appendix taken out?" says Lionel, confused. "Oh, dear. It appears someone has made a dreadful mistake. It's a very good thing you told me. I'll have to have a word with whoever is responsible for the error. That sort of thing just won't do. I'll discuss it with the other doctor, who should be here shortly. You did seem to be in pain earlier. Are you sure you're all right? Any complications with the operation?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter Two”