Ash - Cael

Moderator: Laraqua

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Andrew - Cael

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Dahlia's a little young for that," says Sarah, "but she's brilliant. Give her time, and who knows? I don't think it'll be a problem finding enough people to eat all that fruit and meat. There are about fifty survivors across the street from the hospital. And if you're looking for a doctor, there's one there: my father, Dr. Lionel Carpenter. There are other survivors in the hospital too, but it would be extremely dangerous to return there. We lost a constable to something horrible. I didn't even see anything but its shadow, and it got him before anyone could react." She pauses. "What exactly happened here? Why are the higher-ups locked away, and what's the problem with the medical workers?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

[img]http://aussie_news_views.typepad.com/aussie_news_views/images/2007/04/28/29_4_07_well_grab_harry_and_make_br.jpg[/img]

"She looks tough enough," says the Captain, holding out his hands to help Dahlia off the helicopter. "I'm Captain Daniel Blackworth." He looked down at his medals sheepishly. "Well, Sergeant Daniel Blackworth. Whatever. I'm commanding officer here and these good lads are my troops. The others, well, to hell with them really... They can wait. Your friends by the Cinemaplex can't. I guess we should go fetch them. A proper doctor is a hard asset to lose, let alone a bunch of civilians who are doubtlessly bristling with all sorts of obscure knowledges we need. Like a cook. A decent cook can go a long way with morale." His grin broadens. "Can't half tell I'm a Sergeant, can't you?"
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

Dahlia looks at Daniel for a moment in silence, then narrows her eyes. She puts a hand on her hip and looks at him curiously.

"Hey! How do you know so much stuff about what WE know? We didn't tell you much yet.....but you already know things....."
Dahlia backs away from Daniel slowly, then looks at Cael and Sarah timidly. She begins to shake her head, frightened.
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sarah holds onto Dahlia tightly and makes sure she stays in the helicopter. Her eyes narrow. I never mentioned the Cinemaplex... she thinks. And he knew I was thinking about 28 Days Later, too. Then her gaze meets Daniel Blackworth's, and she knows that somehow he knows what she's thinking this instant, so there is no point in remaining silent. "Cael, get back in fast!" she shouts. "I never said anything about the Cinemaplex!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Yes... You did." The Sergeant just smirks a little, his eyes twinkling. "How many mobile phone calls do you really think have been made in the past few hours?"

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Dahlia looks at Daniel incredulously, then back to Sarah, like a frightened deer caught between two predators.

"That's called eavesdropping ya know,"
she says matter of factly to Daniel, "and it's pretty RUDE to do it!"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

He raises his hands apologetically. "We needed to see if anyone was alive out there. We thought about phoning Sarah but ... judging by how many freak phone calls happen we weren't sure if the message would be successful. We've had much better luck with radios."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I never mentioned 28 Days Later, either," says Sarah, "but I thought it. You didn't get that from my phone conversations. You have been reading my mind! I insist that you stop it this instant! There are private things in there, things I don't want someone I just met to know..." Tears form in her eyes. He knows all about Lyle! she thinks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Blackworth arches an eyebrow. "Look, lady, I don't have time for this. You want help in rescuing your dad or what? 'Cause if all ya wanna do is go for another joy ride in your little bird then fine. I've got more to do with my day then send a few of my men to a place they might not come back from."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sarah begins to cry. "Please," she says, "you know exactly what I've been through. Go easy on me, 'kay? You know full well I want my dad safe and sound, but I'm going to need some assurance that I can trust you." She looks to Cael for guidance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
trixie
Disciple
Disciple

Post by trixie »

Dahlia shakes her head, looking up at Sarah, and she slips her little hand into Sarah's in an effort to be reassuring.

A lump begins to grow in her throat however, and it feels like it's rising and growing until she fears she'll explode. Before she knows it, tears stream down her cheeks. "How can we trust you, after all we've seen? How can you ask that of us?!" she says loudly, almost accusatively. "We've seen very weird things tonight....and then you show up and know more about us than....." She squeezes Sarah's hand tightly all of a sudden, shaking her head defiantly. "No, no I just......no I don't like this at all."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sarah hugs Dahlia, keeping her brimming eyes on Daniel Blackworth. My most private thoughts, she thinks, laid bare and exposed. He knows all about me, but he's told us bugger all about himself and the situation here. We could be walking into anything. If only he'd at least be honest, admit he can read my mind, and tell me how he's doing it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheKingInYellow
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Aidan steps out of the helicopter, his hand still holding his spike like he expects he'll need it.

"Yes, eavesdropping... That actually makes good sense." His voice is cheery and excited, as though completely ignoring the tension going on between the the group and Blackworth. He extends a hand to the new man, making proper introductions. "Aidan O'Connell, Child Protective Services. So then, you know what's going on in the city?"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The soldiers seem to now be paying more attention to the surrounding environment than to the helicopter, though a few continue to pay attention.

"Let's go inside. Standing out in the ash can't be healthy," says Blackworth. "And we've all had a long day. Not to mention but I'm pretty sure dinner's on. That's what made me think of 28 Days Later, actually, the fact that the closest thing we have to trustworthy cook ... can't really cook. We have soldiers who can but they're not so shaken up that they can't resume active service. At least we have good ingredients."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sarah takes a deep breath and climbs out of the helicopter. I hope I'm not making a mistake, she thinks. I'll take the risk that they do have nefarious designs on me after all for the chance to rescue my father. She looks Blackworth in the eye. But if anyone harms one hair on Dahlia's head - well, you bloody well know what I'm capable of! "Actually, I think the ash is probably the remains of the people who were disintegrated when the storm hit," she says, extending her arms to help Dahlia out of the helicopter. If he can read my mind he'd know that - unless he's just trying to pretend he can't. "I noticed that it's thinner out here, which makes sense because this area seems less populated than the area around the hospital. Probably harmless, but still disgusting. My mask keeps me from having to breathe it in, but you already know there's a much more important reason to wear one. I'll have to check to see if I have some more in the bundle of supplies I salvaged from the ambulance. I didn't have a chance to grab a proper medical kit - I was far too busy trying to keep anything from grabbing me! I'm not sure if my father and the other survivors are still in the Cinemaplex or if they've already gone to the superstore. If not, would it be best for them to stay there and try to get on the roof? I can call him to let him know; I should probably tell him we've arrived safely anyway."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"I'd assume rooftop landings would be safest simply because its harder for others to reach," Blackworth peers up at the wan light that escapes from the thick, grey clouds. He shoves his hands in his pockets and turns to head back through the door.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I know that," says Sarah. "What I meant was, should I tell them to stay in the Cinemaplex and use that roof rather than the superstore's roof?" She glances back at the others before following Blackworth. "Coming? I don't want to go in there by myself."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Depends on the rooftops," says Blackworth before Cael can respond. "Most roofs can't support a helicopter - not just because of a peaked shape or whathaveyou but because the rooftops aren't reinforced. Judging by the roads, finding a safe place to park will be no mean feat. If you want my bet? Tell them to get to the hospital. Either that or find something large enough that a clumsy bird with a big tail can set down in the dark."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Easier said than done," says Sarah with a shiver. "Even if they make it there, just surviving the trip to the roof would be iffy. I'll call my father back now and let him know. The people with him might know if one of the roofs over there will support a chopper." She takes out her mobile and gives Lionel a call.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
TheKingInYellow
Keeper
Keeper

Post by TheKingInYellow »

"The hospital may not be a bad option, actually." Aidan chimes in. "If we take a few armed men with us, we would be able to gather needed supplies in addition to rescuing the others.

Not to mention that I could grab my briefcase.

Return to “Chapter Two”