Page 1 of 1

Fifth Floor, Administration Office

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:39 am
by Laraqua
The administrator's office was cramped and unappealing. It seemed that space was a necessity in this hospital so much so that even the high-ranking staff couldn't have any room to breathe. The office was decorated lushly, however, as though to make up for the space restraints. The large, unweildy desk was made of mahogany, the computer and printer appeared powerful, a fact further highlighted by your suspicion that the administrator, Arnold Dullard, was playing a videogame when you came in. The bookcases and filing cabinets all seem to be state-of-the-art. Even the telephone seems pricey. Unfortunately, the effect of all the classy and expensive furniture was merely to make the place feel smaller.

Arnold Dullard is a relatively young man for the job. He's only in his late thirties, though his prematurely balding head suggests otherwise. He wears a pair of spectacles upon a nose that appears to have been broken once or twice. He is immaculately dressed and gestures dramatically while talking. Light from the venetian blinds show the day getting later as the two discussed hospital policy at length.

Re: Fifth Floor, Administration Office

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:41 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan O'Connell had readied himself with a deep breath before stepping into the office. His bureaucracy was meeting with the hospital’s bureaucracy and it’s hasn’t always been a meeting that always goes over well. His briefcase had all the information on the case, all the forms that needed to be filled out and citations of all the laws he had on his side, but sometimes even all that would do no good against a stubborn administrator. Aidan had assumed good faith on the part of Mr. Dullard before he began the meeting and hoped it would be all he would need.

“Well, Mr. Dullard, it’s fairly simple. I just need you to sign these forms; one for National Insurance, one for Child Welfare and one for me for the specific case and everything’s good and well.”

The specific case was 11 year old Sean Cole, taken from his father’s custody after his teachers reported him “malnourished and with suspicious bruises”. Upon further investigation, the agency had found that Sean’s father routinely starved the boy as punishment and most likely beat him as well. It didn't take long to get a court order to take the boy into protective custody. Aidan had brought Sean to the hospital to treat him for his under nourishment, though the doctor also discovered he had a fractured cheekbone during his check-up.

“I’ve already given my number to the doctor I spoke with when we checked him in, but I want to give it to you as well. If there are any questions or concerns about the case, I’ll be happy to address them.” He gives Dr. Dullard his card. “My home number is on there, too. Don’t hesitate to call after hours if there’s a problem.”

Aidan smiles politely, hoping he’ll sign the forms without argument.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:23 am
by Laraqua
Dr. Dullard smiles and leans over to speak into the intercom. "Would you get us a cup of tea, please? Mrs. Tahehone?" He then leans back and waits, still smiling.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:16 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan says thanks, but can't help but wonder if Mr. Dullard is starting with a battle of wills. This would be a first; he's dealt with plenty of administrators who've resisted him, but never a petty tyrant. Perhaps he's being too quick to judge. In his head, he scrambles for something to say, but now worrying that he may be engaged in a faceoff with the director, doesn't want to say anything that might cost him the upper hand. He makes sure to meet the Dr. Dullard's with an equally polite smile.

"Tell me, Dr. Dullard, how many patients is this hospital equipped to serve?"

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:10 am
by Laraqua
"Not enough," says Dr. Dullard, settling back in his chair. He seems content to wait.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:56 pm
by TheKingInYellow
He wasn't expecting that answer. Aidan can't decide if Dr. Dullard is jerking him around of if he's just informal in a starkly casual way. He could just ask him to sign the forms, but he doesn't want to seem powerless in they game they're playing... If there's a game at all, he's still not sure.

"Not enough? What makes you say that?"

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:54 pm
by Laraqua
"There's a man on a gurney somewhere on one of these floors, place in the corridor. The Children's Ward is packed. There's no rooms for wardrobes, just a cabinet at the foot of their bed. We have nurse's desks and chairs in each ward but unlike in the old days, we don't have the staff to watch over them or any of the other bay wards. You come in here with your forms and governmental protection, knowing you can just disappear, soon as this case - we call them, children, by the way - is settled." He chews his finger nails and glance nervously at the window behind him. The venetian blinds are drawn, but even so, it seems somewhat darker than before.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:16 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Now the teeth come out. Aidan knows not to take it personally, as they are on the same side, though he certainly doesn't not appreciate Dr. Dullard's assumption about him.

"Overcrowding? Well, I can understand your concerns then. But let me tell you..." His tone becomes more indignant though still reserved, "I can assure you that you aren't the only hospital under the same stresses, some of which are hurting more than you. While I feel for your situation, I promise you that I won't be leaving until I can guarantee Sean Cole's care and I will have you know that my job isn't done until long after I've assured that the boy is in the care of reliable guardians."

Aidan sinks back into his chair, suddenly feeling very embarassed about his angry outburst.

"Excuse me."

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:19 pm
by Laraqua
Dr. Dullard smiles as though Aidan's past some sort of test. He smiles wearily. "Excuse me, let's see where that tea went." He then heads abruptly for the door and shuts it behind him - in Aidan's face if he attempts to follow. There's a click and the man is gone.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:57 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"Of course." He replies as the Doctor leaves. He remains in his chair and sighs with relief; he was seriously afraid that he had made things worse. While he waits for Dr. Dullard's return, he takes out his notepad from his briefcase and scribbles a brief note. He would suggest to his supervisor, Mr. Tyler, that the hospital needs more funding, hoping that he would in turn pass it on to his supervisors and so on. Chances are nothing would come of it, he knew that, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:30 am
by Laraqua
Time passes.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:46 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan checks his watch a few times. It's getting late. Not that he has anywher to be, but he doesn't want to spend the whole day waiting for Dr. Dullard. He gets up and goes to the door, perhaps his secretary knows what the delay is.

Locked.

"What?" He wonders outloud. He tries the door again, but with similar results. He looks on the door for the locking mechanism.

"This doesn't seem right. Dr. Dullard wouldn't lock me in, would he? It must've been an accident."

He knocks on the door, hoping someone will open it from the outside.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:55 am
by Laraqua
The lock appears to be standard.

There is no answer to his knock.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:05 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan scratches his head, now feeling a little uncomfortable with the situation.

"Dr. Dullard?" he calls out, hoping someone might hear him. Failing that, he'll look around the room, perhaps hoping to spot a set of keys. Failing that, he'll wait another ten minutes before searching Dullard's desk.

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:11 am
by Laraqua
The keys are nowhere in sight. Despite the clutter of the large, expensive furniture, the spaces on top of the furniture is relativel sparse.

"Would everyone please remain where they are?" asks a calm voice over the intercom. It sounds like the hospital administrator, Arnold Dullard. "A chemical incident in London Central has caused massive storm clouds containing high quantities of dangerous substances. Could everyone please remain inside and, where possible, find a secure place to stay until the all-clear is called? Thank you and have a good day."

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:27 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Chemical substances?" Aidan repeats to himself. "What the hell does that mean?" It also dawns on him that there are probably safer places to be than in a fifth story office with a window. He rifles through the desk or any other drawer her can find, and if that doens't pan out, he'll go and pound on the door again, calling for help.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:57 am
by Laraqua
The drawers are filled with forms, both empty and filled, letters, portfolios, proposals, meeting agendas. All but one drawer contains such things and perhaps even that drawer would be no more fruitful. Unfortunately, the bottom drawer of the desk is locked, so Aidan can't tell what's inside. There is an intercom on the desk, however, sitting on a couple of PC Games magazines which confirm Aidan's suspicions that he had been playing a game when he'd come in.

The portrait of a smiling man against a backdrop of dark and shadowy figures seems to mock him from its position on the right hand wall. The figure is obviously a few decades old and that just seems to add to his condescending attitude. It seems there's no hiding from Dr. Dullard's ostentatious desires.

Banging on the door seems to be to no avail.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:13 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan activates the intercom, speaking into it while surveying the room for some other option. In his head he's assuring himself that he's probably fine, but his nagging sense of self-preservation won't let him sit still.

"Miss Tahe... Tahehone? I seem to be locked in? Are you there, dear? Could you please let me out?"

Spotting the painting on the wall, and finding it rather pompous, he does manage to get an idea. There has to be a spare key around here, hasn't there?" He takes the painting in both hands and tries to unhook it from the wall. "Come on, come on, hidden key."

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:55 am
by Laraqua
The only answer to his question is the crackle of static that peaks with a loud burst towards the very end. It does almost seem like there are voices hidden in the static but he can't make them out and they don't seem to be responding to him. It's almost as though there were a conversation hidden there but it's so incoherent it's hard to know if it's merely the crackle of static playing with his mind.

So he goes to the painting and brings it down, revealing a wooden engraving of several people who appear to be in a procession, perhaps funerary, their garbs are long and solemn, dragging across what appears to be floorboards strung with bells. Between them is slung a stretcher, upon which is a dismembered corpse. Only the head and torso are visible. The other pieces must be somewhere else. Above it all is a set of markings that remind Aidan of astrological star signs. Set in the four corners of the wood is a pointed groove that hooks back into what appears to be steel.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:39 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan is less than comfortable with his discovery, finding it to be a long ways away from the spare key or hidden safe he was hoping to find. The engraving is disturbing, amplified by the situation and the fact that it was hidden. Although, it does appear to be attached to the wall, perhaps he'll find something behind that. He takes the engraving and tries to unhook it or dislodge it.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:36 am
by Laraqua
He succeeds in removing the engraving, revealing a 2ft x 2ft safe with a hooked embedded in each corner. Engraved into its surface are the words: Nomina si nescis, perit et cognitio rerum.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:32 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"Ah ha!" Aiden exclaims at his discovery. The actual value of the find quickly sinks in however and he realizes that having found a wall safe does little to help his situation. He does pen down the inscription in his notebook, however.

"Now then, ... Now what?"

(OOC: Does the office door have a pane of glass in it, or is it all solid material?)

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:33 am
by Laraqua
The door appears to be quite solid and judging from when he opened it, it is unusually thick as well. There's a glass window, on the other hand, though this is the fifth floor. The only other options are using the Intercom, which appears to connect to various different offices and departments down here, or the telephone. Either that, or examine the bookcase for a good book to wile away the time.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:54 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan ponders over the options he has. Perhaps trying the intercom would be a good idea, but it seems futile in his nervous state. Instead, he flips open his cell phone and checks his contact list; whatever number he has on hand for the hospital he will call on the office phone while he reads the number from his cellular.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:24 am
by Laraqua
He has both this office's phone number, and the ground floor reception desk phone number.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:38 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Well, no sense in calling myself." He tries the reception desk's number.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:41 am
by Laraqua
There is a click as someone answers the phone. He can vaguely hear some people in the background but nobody speaks into the phone.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:08 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Hello?... Hello? Is anybody there?" He'll wait for a reply and repeat it as a yell if he doesn't get a response.

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:31 am
by Laraqua
A woman's voice, breathy, responds in a low and terrified voice. "Hello?" A moment later, a man's voice says the same query.

Then the woman speaks again: "Yes? Can you hear me? Where are you?"

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:45 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Hello? Yes, I can hear you! Are you okay? This is Aidan O'Connell, with Child Welfare... Uhm... I'm trapped in the Dr. Dullard's office... Is there anyway someone could let me out? This chemical spill has me a worried."

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:16 am
by Laraqua
"Hello," says a man's voice. "Is there someone else there?"

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:09 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"Someone else? Here? No... It's just me, in the Administration Office. Dr. Dullard stepped out a minute ago and seems to have locked the door behind him and hasn't come back. With this chemical incident, I'm a bit on edge. You wouldn't be able to get someone to let me out, would you?"

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:28 am
by Laraqua
The man and woman babble simultaneously.

The man says: "Listen dude, you need to stay where you are. And seal yourself in, make sure the gas can't get through the gaps in the door. This.. er gas, its dangerous you hear me!"

The woman says: "Wait, there is someone else, there's me! My name's Jill and I'm in the Children's Ward ... or, well the Nurse's Station next to the ward. I'm getting a heater because the little ones are cold. I, let me move the heater to the Ward and then I'll come find you, Mr. O'Connell. Who else is on the line?"

The other man then speaks again. "My names Leroy, theres four of us sealed in the dispencery on the first floor. But don't come down here! We heard people outside screaming. And on the ground floor.." He stops and lowers his voice to a whisper. "I saw the darkness come in through the front door, it killed everybody. Don't let it touch you!

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:49 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"Jesus... I'm on the fifth floor, and there's a window in this office. Please, someone let me out!" He starts to panic, wonder if he could could break down the door himself, but he's never been much of an athlete. "Jill is it? Please, could I trouble you to let me out? ... But knock first... If I don't answer, then it's too late for me."

Aidan eyes the bookcase while he's talking. Perhaps it's big enough the cover the office window with?

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:57 am
by Laraqua
Jill speaks before Aidan has finished, seeming not to have heard him yet, almost as though the phone is not sending and receiving the messages as quickly as it normally should. "Actually, I think the gas, or darkness, or whatever, has passed through. I went through the hallway to get here and mostly it's just cold. But it does look like some horrible stuff happened as the gas passed through."

The bookcake looks large enough to block out most of the window.

Jill pauses, as though listening, though no words are heard on the line. Perhaps a delay in Aidan's speech? Then she replies: "Yes, I'll come for you. Just ... just stay calm. Leroy? I think the worst is over. You might want to take stock of resources. Maybe we can pool what we have. I might need some help taking care of these kids. I'm going to move this heater into their ward, and then I'll come get you, Aidan."

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:51 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Yes, of course, tend to the children first. I will do what I can here for now..." He hangs up the telephone, feeling equally relieved that the gas may have passed and disturbed that there might be a hospital full of victims because of it. But there isn't much he can do for now. At the very least he can try to block off the window, just in case. He stands to one side of the book case and tries to push it towards the window.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:37 am
by Laraqua
It moves easily enough, revealing a scrap of paper hidden beneath it, a series of images drawn upon it that look somewhat like starsigns and roman numerals mixed together. There is a central point of a man drawn in the center and an outstretched arm is drawn beneath and between each symbol, floating free.

IV III IX II
--> <-- -->

Written on the back of the scrap of paper is a line of gibberish that makes his head pound and his vision blur. It seems best not to concentrate too strongly on that.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:34 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Oh... My..." Aidan stuffs the scrap into his back pocket. "I hope the gas hasn't gotten to me... Damnit." His worry starts to flare up again, it may be too late for him already and Jill was coming to let a corpse out of the office.

No, no sense in thinking you're dead already. The gas has already gone, remember?

Aidan sits down on the floor, his back against the desk. He rubs his temples and tries to recompose himself. What about Sean? He hadn't even thought about the boy since the news of the biohazard. Was he alright? Well, Jill said she was going to the Children's Ward, he could ask her when she arrived and go there himself.

I wonder why I haven't heard any sirens? No police or ambulances? Is the whole city holed-up inside for this thing?

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:47 am
by Laraqua
Minutes tick by.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:29 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan waits uncomfortably. Isn't Jill coming? How long has it been?...

He realizes that he doesn't really know how much time it has been, for all he knows, it could been only a minute since he was on the phone. He tries to steel himself against further panic, but despite his best rationalizations all he can do is sit and sweat it out.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:38 pm
by Laraqua
The telephone rings.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:24 am
by TheKingInYellow
The sudden noise sends Aidan diving to the ground with an unheroic yelp of fear. Once he regains his senses and realizes that he's just commited an act of absolute cowardness he rises to his feet, trying to have the good spirit to laugh at himself, though he can only manage a forced chuckle. He picks up the telephone. "Hello?"

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:32 pm
by Laraqua
The line goes dead.

Someone knocks loudly on one of the locked doors. "HELLO? ANYONE IN THERE?"

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:12 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan nearly jumps again. "Jesus!... Yes! Yes, I'm here! Jill, is that you? Can you open the door?"

He moves to the door and tries to open it.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:31 am
by Laraqua
The door opens with a smooth click, revealing only darkness and ash that swirled about from the floor to ceiling. There is a space of warmth by the door and the sound of breathing as though someone still stood there.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:36 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan looks at the doorway in perplexion. Is there a fire? Wouldn't the alarm have gone off? Someone must have let me and out and run... Right?

Timidly, Aidan calls out in the reception room. "He... Hello?"

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:59 am
by Laraqua
The floor is littered with dirt, clots of blood and chunks of hair and flesh. Amongst it all are pieces of charred clothing, gold teeth, metal plates, spilled handbags and dropped suitcases. The mess is moving, writhing, and he realises that there are bodies still there, twisted and melted together into the floor. The scent of blood and rot, burnt meat and hospital disinfectant mingle to irritate his nostrils.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:33 am
by TheKingInYellow
For a brief moment, Aidan's brain can't make sense of what he sees and he can't recognize anything, but quickly the grizly nature of the scene can't be denied, no matter how much it wants to.

Aidan throws up from his sitting position, too stunned to even move, letting the vomit fall in his lap and roll over his chin. He stares blankly at the mess, not even able to formally cogitate enough thought to form a real reaction to what lies in front of him.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:45 am
by Laraqua
Move to Daniel, Main Area, Fifth Floor Thread. Read the last three posts to get an idea about what is happening.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:37 am
by Laraqua
Aidan finds himself alone in the administrator's office, dark and dank, with moist walls that seem to be sweating rusty water. The book cases are covered in fungus, the books collapsed into slush upon the shelves. The computer is covered with a black fungal bloom that seems almost to be a jelly-like substance.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:35 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Alone... Again?" Aidan wonders outloud, hoping someone might contradict him.

He stands up, unsure of what to do or where to go from here, not even sure if he's in the same room anymore.

"Perhaps... I'm hallucinating? Maybe the chemical spill got me all drugged up and this is just a psychotomimetic trip?"

He ponders on the idea for a moment.

"Or perhaps I'm standing in the middle of human gore and I'm going to die...", he remarks sarcastically. Unfortunately the latter seems more likely at the moment.

"All right, Aidan. Steel yourself, you have more important priorities. Sean could very well be in danger... After all, it's your job to protect him. I need to get to the Children's Ward." It's a paper thin justification to take action and he knows it, but he needs any courage he can manage to stop himself from weeping.

Timidly, he checks the door, seeing if the brutal carnage still lays beyond it.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:39 am
by Laraqua
The ashen main area is smeared with dirt and water. There is no one out there. No gore. Just a hospital, disrepaired with peeling paint and aging doors. It seems more like an abandoned hospital, ready to be torn down, then anything else.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:53 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan isn't entirely sure that he's anymore comforted by the lack of corpses than he would be by their presence. If anything, he feels like he would appreciate some consistency at this point.

Nervously, he scouts out the hallway outside the door, vigilantly scanning the floors for corpses which he's sure must be somewhere, though he won't be any happier if he finds them. Pending that the way is clear, he starts towards the lift, but reconsiders.

Use stairs in case of emergency.

He turns around and heads for the stairwell.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:43 am
by Laraqua
A somewhat familiar but unknown voice comes over the Intercom: "Attention everyone! The water supply is contaminated. Do not drink or even touch tap water, or any standing water you come across. Use only water in bottles or other sealed containers. Do not go outside under any circumstances, and avoid all exits or places that are otherwise exposed to the outside. It is extremely dangerous out there, and there are small parasitical organisms that attack people and burrow into their flesh. Once that happens, they are transformed into something no longer human. These creatures are alive and have a pulse, and their mouths are full of fleshy fungal material. They will attempt to seize their victims and lock their mouths over the victims' mouths. If they succeed, the victim is rendered paralysed and helpless, and they will then try to force the fungus down the victims' throats. Keep your distance from them at all costs, and keep your mouths covered at all times! A surgical mask will work, but the fungus will eventually rip through it. Two masks will last longer. Towels could also be used. Do not go anywhere alone if at all possible. If you fall prey to one of these creatures, you will need someone else to get it off of you.

She takes a deep breath and then continues: "There are other strange creatures and phenomena as well. The dark cloud that has covered the hospital is raining down a strange black ash. Its effects are unknown, but you should minimize your exposure to it. It can be wiped off with moist towelettes, but again make sure that you do not use tap water. Metal objects have rusted due to the arrival of this cloud, and have apparently aged decades in rather short order. You may notice that your sense of time is distorted, and people may seem to vanish. You may also see apparitions or hear voices of people you know. On the second floor there was an unknown creature that produced a whistling sound. If it approaches you, run. It is possible to outrun and escape from it. This is Nurse Sarah Carpenter. Stay safe, everyone."

The stairwell is extremely dark ending in complete darkness. Without a light source, he might trip and break his neck.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:50 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan blinks several times at the announcement. "Now surely that can't be right."

Still, a surgical mask would make him feel more comfortable and it doesn't seem likely that the backlight on his cellphone will work as a suitable flashlight. He recalls seeing the training room somewhere on this floor, that seems like a good place to start. Cautiously, moves away from the stairs to look for it.

"Strange creatures... Nonsense, right?"

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:12 am
by Laraqua
The training room is lined with shelving and medical charts dimly lit from the light of the Administration Office. There is a pulpit at the very other end, along with a few machines such as overhead projectors. There are several rows of seats. Several people still sit in those rows, as though waiting for someone.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:14 am
by TheKingInYellow
Spotting the waiting individuals startles Aidan and he hides around the other side of the door threshold. He barely has time to reprimand himself for being unreasonable for being afraid of other hospital patrons before he can remind himself that all of his silly fears have mostly been validated so far.

He carefully tries to sneak back to the administration office, his small feet seeming to make more noise than they would have had he not tried to sneak.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:33 am
by Laraqua
The individuals are unmoving as he moves back into the corridor, making his way to the Administration Office.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:18 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan is initially relieved that nobody moves, but finds that, in reality, it's rather unsettling.

"Damnit, this is a hospital, it shouldn't be difficult to find a surgical mask, or even a flashlight, really."

Returning to the Administrative Office door, Aidan starts moving to the left to the next office, using his cellphone screen for minimal illumination to read the office names. Finding the Accounting Office next, he tries the door, though it doesn't seem like the nominal place to find anything of use.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:24 pm
by Laraqua
The door opens halfway before stopping, banging against a broken computer monitor. The room is in shambles. Books and files picked up and tossed about and littered with ash. The window is broken, unleashing a large amount of ash that blows alternately in and out of the room. Gouged into the desk with a fire axe that sits still half-within the wood are the words: "Oh God, it hu"

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:44 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan slams the door shut, probably louder than would be wise.

"That bloody ash... Although, that axe might be handy..."

He goes back and forth in his mind, deciding whether or not to try and grab it, eventually deciding that he won't risk the ash unless he can find something to cover him. He can't help but feel a little cowardly.

He moves on to the Chief of Staff's Office and tries the door.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:06 am
by Laraqua
Locked. He can hear a voice murmuring behind it, though.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:59 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan ponders over what to make of that. Eventually, he knocks on the door and waits for response.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:29 am
by Laraqua
The door opens and sees a nurse peering out at him. Her eyes bleed, the blood running down her cheeks toward her chin. Ropy blood dangles from her nostrils. "It's ... yeah ... a down ... of course." She smiles, her smile faltering and returning. A hammer held in her right hand.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:55 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan backs away nervously. "Now, madam, no need to worry," he begins in a calm, non-confrontational voice. "I'm one of the survivors, too. You're injured. Please, put down the hammer and I can give you assistance."

He continues to back away, not really knowing if he has any chance to difuse the situation.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:03 am
by Laraqua
"They're coming from down... We must build a net. We must build a net t-t-to... They're coming." She turns and shuffles back inside the room, leaving the door partially opened.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:16 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan blinks a few times, not entirely sure what to make of that response, though supposing it's not so unexpected from a victim of such a traumatic event.

Curious, perhaps morbidly so, he looks into the office, though he wraps his hand firmly around the doorknob, ready to pull it shut in case the woman does pose a danger.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:32 am
by Laraqua
The entire room has, where possible, been dismantled. The book case is in pieces, the shelves removed, the desk as well as the cupboards have been chopped up roughly at the edges and piled to one side. To the other side are the objects, too metallic or thick to be dismembered. The nurse returns to her task.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:49 am
by TheKingInYellow
Confused, Aidan closes the door. The woman needs help, but not any he's able to provide. When help arrives, he'll make sure that someone gets her out of there.

Help?

He hadn't considered it, but would help come? The whole city could very well be in this state of emergency. What's more, people are probably expecting the hospital to be coming to help them and clearly that wouldn't be the case.

Feeling rather unsettled about the matter, he dials the authorities on his cellphone while trying the door to the Staff Office.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:51 am
by Laraqua
"This is ... station," says an oddly toneless voice, the words broken up by bursts of static. "Do you need assistance?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:10 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Yes! This is Aidan O'Connell at [hospital's name]... I know that you must very busy, but is anyone coming here? We need help. As far as I know, the Children's Ward is unattended and ... The kids... They need help!"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:17 am
by Laraqua
"Are you That Which Breaks Forth?" asks the toneless voice. "We are seeking That Which Breaks Forth. Tell us where it is so that we might rest."

Another voice breaks through, weaker, and barely heard above the static. "Hello? Who ... in a shambles ... can't ... try to get here ... we could ... streets are ... hello?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:21 am
by TheKingInYellow
"That which breaks forth?" Aidan asks back as the second voice comes in.

"Hello?" He practically yells it. "This is Aidan. On the fifth floor. Where are you?" He pauses, thinking about what he's doing. "Are you here, at the hospital?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:32 am
by Laraqua
"The police ... where ... can't seem to ... radios seem to function better ... hospital?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:46 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Yes! We're at xxx hospital. There are children here. They need help!"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:12 am
by Laraqua
"...to help but we need to stay here ... many refugees ... not enough ... need medical supplies, though..." The man chuckles. "...local police station ... three or four blocks from Mercy Cross ... come ... bring supplies ... the front end of the cloud ... dangerous ... not so bad now ... things out there ... gone fishing ... could try ... one police officer? How would you all ... here, though?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:27 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Well, no... You can't put yourself in danger. But... Please, as soon as you can. We're in bad shape here. I'm going to try to find the children's ward, I'll try to keep them safe..."

Aidan sighs in defeat, though it's about what he expected.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:29 am
by Laraqua
"...phone number ... repeat several ... can make sure I hear ... please?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:39 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Yes, of course!"

Aidan recites his phone number several times, slowly and carefully.

"Did you get that, sir?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:11 am
by Laraqua
"Yes, we should be able to get to you..." He chuckles. "Looks like the connection cleared up. This is Sergeant Hawkins here. We've got about sixteen cops here. We broke open the gun's cabinet. The place is barricaded up pretty tightly. We got about sixty civilians in here but not enough food for any of them. You're probably in better shape than us. We got a ... well, this is gonna seem pretty weird. We got a man here who sealed this place up tight. We had renovations a few weeks ago and he did some funky stuff for the window and door frames. He can't quite remember why he did it, but."

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:31 am
by TheKingInYellow
The ability to communicate is a great relief. Aidan leans up against a wall and manages to loosen up just a bit.

"Well, we could certainly stand to have better insulation here. Windows are broken everywhere here, I'm scared to even open doors. ... You know... You can't drink the water, right? It's contaminated. They made an announcement about it, the water's poisoned, or something."

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 am
by Laraqua
"That's just great," says Sergeant Hawkins. His accent identifies him as being from the same area as Lister from Red Dwarf - Liverpool. "Y'know, I was really looking forward to a nice, long drink. We thought as much, though. Damn... Don't suppose you could nip down to the local store and buy us about 50 cases of water? Trolley it down or somethin'?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:59 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Ha! Gladly, I'll be right down there. Maybe you can trade me for a flashlight and gasmask... Maybe a pistol." He laughs, feeling relaxed having someone to share the severe situation with.
"They say the ash is dangerous, too... Rusts metal, causes blackouts, disorientation and all that. Nasty stuff, I suppose. They're telling us to wear surgical masks, here. Any helpful advise you can offer from your end?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:09 am
by Laraqua
"The ash is harmless," says Sergeant Hawkins. "I think it's a kind of by-product of the attack - a side effect of it, if you will. To tell you the truth, I think it's people. The main threat is that it hides things in it... Though it might hide you, too, if you're careful. It'd block scent pretty strongly and cover up basic vibrations. Only way the things could track you would be if you carried a light or perhaps the noise of your movement. Just a theory, anyhow. Not sure what else to say, but there's certainly more than one type of thing out there. What works against one might not work against the other."

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:35 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Yeah..." He trails off, thinking about the nurse back in the other room. "So then... What's the plan... Are they evacuating the city? Are they bringing in reserves?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:41 am
by Laraqua
"Evacuate the city to where?" asks Sergeant Hawkins. "I've got no way to contact the outside world. The internet is dead. The telephone sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Beyond that is the radio and we've managed to contact some people in the country but that's about it. It's an old radio, y'understand. Probably doesn't have much range anyhow. As far as I know, this is England now. Heck, could be the world now."

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:01 am
by TheKingInYellow
"But... The chemical spill... It was in the city, right?"

Aidan is getting nervous again. Surviving this doesn't seem like an appealing prospect if there's nowhere to go. Certainly, it couldn't be everywhere, right?

"So then... We just have to survive?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:22 am
by Laraqua
"Seems as much. No idea about other countries, you understand me."

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:28 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Yes, I do... Listen, I have a child in my charge and I need to find him... You have my number, please call if you find out anything or things change. I'll call you if I find out anything."

"Good luck."

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:35 am
by Laraqua
"Yeah, and that to you too. If you ever get back here, bring us a Snickers from the vending machine, would ya?"

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:42 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Heh, if I get the chance I'll bring you the whole machine. Take care of yourself."

Aidan hangs up the phone and notes the remaining battery power. He feels better about the situation, but in reality isn't any better off.

"Back to checking rooms."

He tries the Staff Room door.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:50 am
by Laraqua
The radiator hums warmly in its place near the comfortable blue couch and he realises just how cold it is in all of the other rooms. Thee chairs sit around a round table - upon which sit the remnants of a game of poker. Ash swirls about the room - not a lot, but enough to be noticeable.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:56 am
by TheKingInYellow
"The ash is harmless." He reminds himself, certainly glad to be in a warm room. "Looks like someone got caught in the middle of a good hand, too."

Not seeing anything particularly useful on the poker table, he surveys the rest of the room hoping to find something that he may put to use. Hopefully someone kept a flashlight at their desk or maybe even a duffel bag to carry things around with him. He recalls that he left his briefcase in Dr. Dullard's office, but none of its contents were important enough to go back for.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:52 am
by Laraqua
The room is mostly empty, other than a large handbag brimming with feminine objects, including a mobile phone that lights up when the buttons are pressed (all do, I know, just emphasising it), condoms and feminine sanitary napkins.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:08 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan spends a minute cycling through the contacts on the cellphone before realizing that it's silly to be looking for information. He replaces the phone and steps back out into the hallway.

"This seems to be getting me nowhere, but I can't get out of here without ... something."

He ponders the situation for a moment and something occurs to him. He removes the scrap of paper from his pocket that he found behind the bookcase in the administrative office.
IV III IX II
--> <-- -->

He pauses for a moment, realizing that the clues couldn't be much more obvious. With a practically giddy laugh, he returns to Dr. Dullard's office to try to unlock the wall safe.

"How do those work normally? Right to clear... So... Left to four, right to three, left to nine and right to two?... Here's hoping."

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:11 am
by Laraqua
The safe door opens to reveal an ornate golden filligree pair of smaller doors within the filligree facing as though the safe held a shrine. The smaller doors were lined with miniature bells. Within the filligree, Aidan can see two shelves. One contains an ordinary-looking book, an older leatherbound book and a sheath of letters. The other contains a series of bell-lined bangles - silver bells on golden bangles, a filligree Ankh with a spiral in the hole and an ornately carved spike that curves inwards.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:35 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan blinks at this discovery. He would have expected to find Dr. Dullard inside the safe more than he would've expected this. He seems to have been a pretty odd character.

With some hesitation, he takes the ordinary-looking book out of the safe and examines the title.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:43 am
by Laraqua
It appears to be a kind of business diary judging by the plain black-and-red cover. Flicking through it, he finds a series of addresses and phone numbers at the start of the book, followed by the usual business diary lay out.

OOC: Tell me if you look at it more thoroughly.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:48 am
by TheKingInYellow
(I do believe I will)

Curious about what makes this worth hiding in this altar, Aidan starts to browse through the book, looking for interesting entries, names or other material.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:59 am
by Laraqua
There are several entries each day on prayer meetings in SDR. There is a weekly note on Sunday about the Chapel - often with information on teaching new members how to enhance and enlarge the underground Chapel. It appears that members of his prayer group were amateur builders and electricians as well as doctors, nurses and other hospital staff. Scribbled in the borders are also passages in a bizarre part-English part-something-else language that seemed to be some form of prayer.

There is mention of hiring a private detective to examine goings-on at the Cinemaplex - there are also a number of mentions of people spotting a woman or man with binoculars in the upper windows of the Cinemaplex, or of Cinemaplex employees being found in places where they shouldn't be.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:08 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Even more peculiar. Was Dr. Dullard a part of some cult? Here at the hospital?

"It would help if I could talk with someone who works here..."

Peering around the bookshelf he pushed over the window, he looks for any sign of this Cinemaplex refered to.

Thinking it best to keep this evidence, he reclaims his briefcase and puts the book inside, moving on to the leatherbound volume to see what else the Doctor is in to.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:20 pm
by Laraqua
It is too dark to see anything outside. Assuming they were spying on the hospital with binoculars, it would make sense if they were across the road.

The leather-bound volume appears to be some kind of bible. The first passage:

We of the Fragile Bond must remain as kin. Where one needs aid, there shall be the brother to aid him. Where one needs friendship, there shall be the sister to befriend them. Where one needs advice, there shall be the father to advise him. And where one needs solace and spiritual protection, there shall be the mother to give to him. For the Fragile Bond is wrought not with steel but with care, love and compassion and from this shall spring the safety and security of our unknowing brethren.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:36 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"Certainly sounds like a cult." Aidan remarks to himself. He stuffs the tome into his briefcase to take a look at when he's found a safer place to examine them, feeling rather exposed in what feels more and more like Dr. Dullard's little temple.

He withdraws the sheath of letters and looks them over.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:30 am
by Laraqua
They're scented love letters addressed from a Dr. Sutcliffe. They're full of the usual mushy stuff - yet spoken more sweetly, softly, more romantic than cheesy. It seems the two have had quite the illicit affair going on. They seem to have loved each other very much.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:46 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Hmm, I guess even crazed cultists have a soft spot."

Aidan returns the letters, finding himself unable take them, despite having taken everything else he's found so far.

Lastly, he picks up the queer Ankh to examine its nature.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:53 am
by Laraqua
It feels cold to the touch and reflects the light strangely. Other than that, it appears somewhat normal. It appears to be made of a similar, albeit differently colour metal, as the curved metal spike.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:05 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan feels like a petty thief, but with some hesitation he takes the Ankh and the spike, placing them in his jacket pocket. He doesn't know what purpose they could possibly serve, or what reason he might keep them, but having something feels comforting.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:08 am
by Laraqua
The spike is far too large to fit in the jacket pocket and its curved nature alone would make that awkward. It comes out slightly straight for three inches, and curves around quite severely. It would make an awkward weapon, even, though its tip is quite sharp (10% chance to hit, 1d8 damage).

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:13 am
by TheKingInYellow
Ah, my mistake.

"Well, it will do until someone happens to drop a samurai sword or a machine gun." He laughs to himself, even though it's more just to comfort.

"Well, I do believe I've pilfered everything of value from here..."

With his briefcase in one hand and the spike in the other, he leaves the office.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:28 am
by Laraqua
There is no one in the main area.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:10 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Sigh... Back to this game."

Returning back to his path, he wanders down the hall, spike in one hand, briefcase in the other and goes to the Staff Counselor room. He sets down the briefcase and tries the handle.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:55 am
by Laraqua
The room is empty of life. A flashlight sits upside down, its light shining off the note held beneath it. In solid, black texta are the words: "I have two. Here you go."

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:04 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Ha! About time!" Aidan exclaims, feeling rather triumphant until he finds the note underneath.

"Well, that's a little creepy..." He remarks, trying shake off the shivers the finding gives him. Unsure of what to do, he writes down his cellphone number on the note along with a counternote "Thanks! Call me."

Having been given the gift of light again, he can make his way down the the Children's Ward. Awkwardly holding the briefcase handle and the flashlight in the left hand and the spike in his right, he starts towards the stairwell.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:05 am
by Laraqua
His cellphone beeps. He's been sent a text message.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan leaps into the air with surprise, dropping the briefcase. He stummbles as he lands, panting with terror. Realizing what actually happens he feel sufficiently unmanly, again.

"I'm glad nobody saw that." He remarks, checking what the message is.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:00 am
by Laraqua
Your welcum g man.
The cell phone registers the other mobile phone as having a silent number.

As Aidan's shocked breathing begins to slow down, he becomes faintly aware of having heard the term 'g man' before. It's not his current case but one long, long ago. The voice of a child who had vanished from a similar hospital only to call him during the night, desperate and alone.

The child had spoken too quickly and he had been tired and drunk from a night on the town. He could hardly even understand him and what little he had heard made no sense. Then there had been a large, high-pitched noise and someone had hung up the phone. It had been nightmarish. No signs, no clues, the police had been at a loss.

The floor below beckons to him. The ash floats lazily in the air like dust might in an old building. A snack vending machine had released its load of candy bars across the floor. A ball of wall had been dropped near where a person's half-finished knitting sits on the bench. The ball had rolled across the floor before stopping somewhere near the middle.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:28 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan shakes his head at this turn. Somebody has to be messing with him, at least, that's the only thing that makes sense. Someone has a pretty sick sense of humor to be screwing with people in a situation like this, and this guy hit a nerve. He tries to shake off the feeling that somebody is watching him. Right now he has bigger problems to worry about. Though he's sure it's in vain, he tries the callback on the message.

As he's waiting for a reply, he stoops over to pick up the candy from the candy machine, checking the the pacakges to make sure they're intact. He can only assume that the circumstances have left the children distressed, candy might be of some comfort. Whatever's intact he will stuff into the briefcase.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 pm
by Laraqua
There are dozens of candy bars, skittles, Mars Bars, Snickers, along with chips packets. His briefcase already contains papers, however, and so he can't fit very many. If he emptied his pockets and briefcase of waste materials, he would certainly be able to fit enough to give a snack to all of the children in the Children's Ward. Fortunately, none of them appear bad. When opened, they ever smell good.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:46 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"Very good." He thinks to himself. He spends a few minutes discarding papers from his briefcase and tossing away things he doesn't need until his can stuff his briefcase and jacket pockets with all the candy he can manage.

Having stocked up, he heads to the stairwell, illuminating the way with his new flashlight.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:59 pm
by Laraqua
As he heads down the stairwells to the Fourth floor, he can hear an odd rythmic thumming sound coming from outside that seems to be getting nearer. His mobile phone rings - a call this time.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:05 pm
by TheKingInYellow
He sets down the briefcase, holding the flashlight and the spike the same hand while he takes the call.

"Hello?"

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:09 pm
by Laraqua
"Hey, Aidan? It's me again," says the familiar cop's voice. "You'll never believe what I've wrangled for you. A chopper... Bona fide. Grab what food and water you can and go out onto the balcony. Maybe bring a gurney or something. They should be able to air lift you to safety ... well, air lift you here anyway."

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:13 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"A... A helicopter?" He voice is practically giddy. A way out, thank God!

"Listen, how much time do I have? I have my charge down in the Children's Ward and I need to get him first. Can you give me fifteen, maybe twenty minutes?"

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:19 pm
by Laraqua
"I don't..."

There's a gunshot and the sound of breaking glass coming from downstairs. Then an explosion, followed by a long and groaning noise of something deep within the hospital coming loose - the very floor and walls vibrate. As soon as it started, it was over.

"What the hell was that?"

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:23 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"I... I don't know. Listen... I'll call you back. I need to get to the Children's Ward."

Without waiting for a response he hangs up, picking up his briefcase again and readying the spike he quickly starts down towards the second floor.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:32 pm
by Laraqua
He heads down to the Second Floor and rushes off the stairs. He can see a very small group of kids huddling near the reception desk. They peer at you in fear and dart behind the desk. He can also see a girl of about 8, clutching a book and standing near the Children's Ward doors with a 16-year-old girl standing by her.

OOC: One round at a time please ... something may happen. :lol: Something good ... or something bad ... only time will tell.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:34 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Jawohl. Though, in my experience, something is never good :P

"Children!" He exclaims, lowering the spike. "Thank God. Are you alright?"

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:38 am
by Laraqua
"Who are you?" the girl demands. She then yells "Leave us alone!" and ducks back behind the nurse's station, clutching the book tightly. Alisha just looks at at the smaller girl's flight nervously but doesn't move.

"Alright?" asks a lad's voice loudly. "The cold. Numbing. Defenseless. Bodies. The monster in the bathroom. Wires. Hunger. Flesh. Cold metal. Enveloping. Young flesh. Lambs. Slaughter. Noise. A shriek. Tearing. Ripping. Wetness. Crimson. Succulent blood. Squirts. Flows. Splatters. Nurtures. Feeds. Gives life ... Trap! Bodies. Invaded. Used." he suddenly yells out. "Pain! Muderder! Death! Carnage! Slaughter!"

"But you can't spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!" he says with a crackling voice and goes into a long, maniacal and hysterical laugh as he grabs the doorframe for support, slumping against it. A young lad with a bloodied hand comes into view - he's probably only about fifteen.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:58 am
by Laraqua
An unfamiliar woman, laboring heavily, with a badly injured and poorly bandaged leg, pulls herself up off the ground from the Children's Ward and hobbles over to stand between the children and you, only a quick glance toward the lad showing her concern, a gun held in her hand. She raises the gun at Aidan as she moves. "As she said, who are you?"

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:04 am
by Laraqua
OOC: Enter Imme, SuAside & Trixie's thread.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:29 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan makes his way up the stairs, hoping that there is roof access from the stairwell.

God help me... But there are still people to save... Myself included.

[OOC: I'm also passing on any sanity rewards for right now; being in a group doesn't make Aidan feel any better in light of what happened to Sean.]

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:42 am
by Laraqua
The stairwell continues up passed the sixth floor to a locked door marked Roof Access. A low moaning can be heard coming from the fifth floor.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:45 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan pauses at the fifth floor, hearing the moaning... There was that nurse he left behind. ... But there isn't time, rescuing the children is priority number one. He continues on to the sixth floor.

"Damnation... Locked." He looks to see if there's visible locking mechanism and wonders how difficult it would be to break through it, though he's pretty sure it's not within the capacity of a man of his constitution.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:51 am
by Laraqua
The door seems pretty solid. An axe would probably be the best way to get through it. It has an electronic lock - a key pad.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:53 am
by TheKingInYellow
An axe! And luckily Aidan knows just where to get one. Although, one of the emloyees downstairs might know have a keycard, they could just as well not and that would be time wasted.

Aidan makes his way back down the stairs to the fifth floor. Spike at ready, he goes back inside.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:59 am
by Laraqua
A lattice of wooden objects has been built just past the administration office, though it only extends a few feet so far. Movement can be heard in the distant recesses of the floor but Aidan's torch catches no sign of anyone.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:15 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan doesn't know what to make of the construction, but he sure as hell doesn't like it. He pauses briefly, unsure if he should announce himself or not. Eventually he decides it may be for the best.

"Hello?" He calls out, moving towards the lattice, looking for a way through it into the accounting office, nervously looking over his shoulder to make sure nobody's behind him.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:35 am
by Laraqua
He hears a vague chittering sound coming from one of the rooms at the other end of the floor. He can also hear a giggle coming from the open door of the Administration Office. A gloved hand grips the door frame. At least, it appears to be a glove, no hand could be that white.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:39 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Hello?" He calls out again. "There's a help coming! A helicopter should be on it's way."

He leaves his briefcase where the lattice work begins, not wanting to try and crawl through with it. Not waiting for a response, he tries to crawl through it if he can find a large enough hole, keeping the spike ready. He starts a cold sweat, feeling absolutely exposed and completely unsafe.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:54 am
by Laraqua
The head appears around the door frame, wearing Dullard's bowler hat, her long blonde locks stained with thick blood. She tilts her head from side to side in quick jerks, much as a bird would.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:57 am
by TheKingInYellow
Her visage is enough to make Aidan shudder.

"Hey, you, listen to me! Help is coming... Just wait there, where I can see you. We can go up to the roof together and I will help you get to safety. Just come out of the office and stay RIGHT there!"

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:35 am
by Laraqua
She giggles again and comes out of the room, moving with a jerky, bird-like motion. Aidan manages to rise to his feet. She tilts her head to an unnatural angle. "Build?"

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:40 am
by TheKingInYellow
"No! No building, damnit! Stay right there!" He yells, doing his best to cover to terror in his voice. He raises the spike above his head to signal that he's not afraid to defend himself.

"Stay right where you are! I'm not telling you again!"

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:42 am
by Laraqua
The woman stares at the spike in abject horror, flinging her arms up to protect her face and throwing herself back, tripping over in her haste and hitting the floor. She attempts to crawl away, whimpering piteously, glancing over her shoulder at him in fear.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:50 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan is perplexed at this, but isn't going to let his ignorance hinder him at this point.

"Listen to me! Go back to door and stand perfectly still... We have help coming... We can get you help, but we do not have much time left. Do you understand me?"

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:52 am
by Laraqua
She struggles to her feet, using the wall for support, and runs across the floor, her low heels clicking against the linoleum. She disappears inside one of the rooms.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:57 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan sighs. She's a lost cause, but as long as she seems to fear the golden spike, he feels like he at least has the upper hand. He checks around himself, looking for anyone else before heading towards the Accounting Office, keeping the spike deliberate prepared.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:17 am
by Laraqua
The Accounting Office is as it was before. The axe embedded in the desk. Ash streaming in through the window.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:00 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan pulls his shirt up over his mouth, hoping it will prevent him from inhaling the suspicious ash. Setting down the rest of his panoply, he tries to pull the axe from the desk.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:26 am
by Laraqua
The axe sticks fast.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:43 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan sighs and then realizes that he left his back to the door. He scurries around to the other side of the desk and tries again.

Failing that, he tries to kick it, missing miserably.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:52 am
by Laraqua
The kick makes his toes sore.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:01 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Son of a bitch..." Aidan swears under his breath. He wonders if he's just wasting time, but without a way to get through that door, everybody's in trouble.

Unless one of them had a keycard and they're already up on the roof.

He steps up on the desk and grabs the axe, trying to lean on it with all of his meager weight to try and push it out the way in came in.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:26 am
by Laraqua
The axe is released into his hands.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:32 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Oh, thank God!" He exclaims, claiming the axe. Now that he has more items to juggle in his two hands, he tucks the flashlight into his pants, tightening his belt to keep it there. Spike in one hand and the axe swung over his left shoulder, he leaves, trying to spot his way back out of the lattice.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:46 pm
by Laraqua
He can hear whimpering from somewhere else on the floor. The lattice itself is exactly as it was. As he moves, his mobile rings.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:39 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan sighs at the the bad timing and steps back into the office, setting down the axe to answer the phone.

"Aidan here."

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:56 am
by Laraqua
"Hawkins here," says a familiar voice. "The helicopter's wondering what's taking everyone so long. I mean, look, I'd hell appreciate getting some food over here - everyone'll be real starving soon - but the chopper can't wait forevery."

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:28 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Can't tell you how glad I am to hear you, Sargeant... Pardon our lateness, I'm just about to get to the roof now. Everyone should be getting as many supplies as they can carry as we speak... Let me ask you, how many people can your helicopter carry?"

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:50 am
by Laraqua
"Normally? About eight to ten fully grown men - about eight hundred kilograms. It's the British version of the SWAT helicopter. Could fit a lot more, technically, but not in this weather. Best be safe. We need a lot of food and supplies. Hope you've got that."

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:15 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Eight to ten full grown men, you say? So do you think you could take ten to fifteen children? We can send them along with all the supplies we can manage... Any chance we could get another ferry for the rest of us... Maybe..."

Aidan has to think about the number of people.

"Eight... Or nine adults?"

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:19 am
by Laraqua
"That many survivors?" Hawkins sounds shocked. "To be honest, we haven't that much space here but we are thinking of making a break for it to somewhere else... Is it safe in the hospital from those things? Could we just bring people there?"

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:26 am
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan sighs, feeling that he knows exactly what he means by "things".

"I'm afraid we're having problems here, too... I may have found something they're adverse to, but we're no safer here than it sounds like you are there."

He looks out the window before remembering the ash coming in through the window.

"Is there anywhere safe enough for us to go to?"

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:37 am
by Laraqua
"Cruise liner?" Hawkins laughs. "Look, we'll just try and get you all over here and then we'll worry about that. Just bring food, medicines and whatever medical staff you got. I'm guessing those children aren't particularly healthy... Well, we don't particularly have anyone who can look after them. That helicopter just happened to be passing through, really. It honed in on our signal. I think those two cowboys are just keen on playing heroes... They need someone sensible up there to sort them out."

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:39 am
by TheKingInYellow
"Well, any heroes we can get would be appreciated now. I'm going to clear a patch to the roof and get the others. Are you here? Or nearby?"

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:44 am
by Laraqua
"I'm still in the cop shop," he says. "We got a spot for the chopper to land. Look, be careful, okay? I'll let you get back to it."

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:54 am
by TheKingInYellow
"You be careful, too. We're counting on you."

Aidan hangs up and grimaces. This isn't the rescue he was hoping for, but he'll have to make it work. He collects his belonging and leaves the office again.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:04 pm
by Laraqua
The area outside the office is devoid of life.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:32 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Finding the lack of anything almost as bad as anything at all, he braces himself and crawls through the lattice again, making a point to pick up his briefcase when he reaches the other end.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:34 pm
by Laraqua
As Aidan's fingers wrap around the briefcase's handle, a Snicker's bar falls out of his pocket onto the floor, followed by a soft chittering sound from behind him.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:41 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan can't turn around fast enough, rearing the spike above his head ready to strike, as well as clumsily trying to raise the heavy axe up with one hand, but effectively failing that. He immediately tries to identify whatever the noise is and hopefully kill it before it kills him.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:47 pm
by Laraqua
His torch shakes from its position in his belt. The darkness oppresses the trembling circle of light. There are so many shadows, so many places for something to hide. He hears the chittering sound again - coming from somewhere above.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:50 pm
by TheKingInYellow
He looks up, all the while backing up, hopefully out from under whatever it is. Almost out of habit he calls out in a voice filled with fear, "Hello?"

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:03 pm
by Laraqua
"Hello G Man," says a young boy's voice from behind him.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:24 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"Jesus!" Aidan exclaims, swinging around wildly, barely in control of the weapons in his grasp.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:36 pm
by Laraqua
"You said you wouldn't leave me!" the child screams from behind him as he turns to face the stairwell.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:42 pm
by TheKingInYellow
"God damnit, come back here! This place is dangerous!" He yells after the child, starting after him.

It couldn't be him, could it? There's absolultey no logical reason why it would be.

Finding that running with an axe, briefcase and spike all in his hands and flashlight in his pocket is going to get him nowhere slowly, or worse yet cause him to fall down the stairs, he takes quickly stuffs the axe handle into the handle of his briefcase and to make the load less awkward, though still not particulary convenient to carry. He chases after the boy.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:54 pm
by Laraqua
As Aidan crawls back through the lattice, he sees a pair of grimy, dripping wet young boy's legs standing before him. He was wearing the same red sneakers he had on when he had gone missing. Aidan tries to lift his head, to move, but finds himself frozen. "You left me all alone! How could you let me die like that?" The boy turns and runs off into the darkness. Aidan listens to his receding footsteps, then finds he can move once more.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:10 pm
by TheKingInYellow
Aidan stops and thinks about that accusation.

But I did everything right, didn't I?

"No!" He exclaims. "You're just ... Hallucinating?... Projecting? ... It's the stress, the stress and the guilt... You didn't really see that, you just think you did." He assures himself. It all makes sense really, as there's no way that boy could be here, not that anything else makes sense here...

He brings himself to his feet and feels very, very lonely. He heads towards the stairwell.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:16 pm
by Laraqua
Return to that other thread.