VIKING HOMEWORK

The Vikings have just begun settling the new world and have set their sights on Helluland. “The Land of Flat Stone” Can the ancient Eskimo inhabitants stop the Viking invasion or will the Vikings fulfill their prophecy and cover the flat rocks of Helluland in blood and steel.

Choose your side. Protect your people and intermingle with ancient Inuit creatures as Baffin Island is torn asunder by Viking steel and myth.

Choose your side. Join the invading Viking army and clear the way for Iceland’s settlers as Helluland’s native Inuit people and their gods are put to the sword and the axe.

[This game accepts new players]

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

VIKING HOMEWORK

Post by DSIGFUSS »

VIKING HOMEWORK

Please do not post in this thread.

Check in from time to time to read up on Viking mythology.
Every once in a while I will be giving a pop quiz. If you respond (by PM) and score 80% or higher, you will receive skill points to be placed whereever you choose. (Thank Laraqua for that idea btw)
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Re: VIKING HOMEWORK

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Fenrir

In Norse mythology, Fenrir or Fenrisulfr is a wolf, the son of Loki and the giantess Angrboða. Fenrir is bound by the gods, but is ultimately destined to grow too large for his bonds and devour Odin during the course of Ragnarök. At that time he will have grown so large that his upper jaw touches the sky while his lower touches the earth when he gapes. He will be slain by Odin's son, Viðarr, who will either stab him in the heart or rip his jaws asunder according to different accounts.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Monngarm

Moongarm was the one of the offspring of Iarnvidiur, the trollwife (giantess) from Ironwood, east of Midgard. Her sons were all giants, but born in the wolf forms. Moongarm was the largest and the mightiest of these gigantic wolves.

According to Snorri Sturluson, Moongarm was filled with blood of all those who had died. He will swallow the heavenly bodies, spattering the sky and heaven with blood. This would cause the sun not to shine, and violent winds would rage unabated. For this reason, Moongarm was known as the sun's snatcher.

Skoll and Hati

Skoll and Hati were two giant wolves that pursued two heavenly bodies – Sol (Sun) and Moon.

Skoll and Hati were descendants of the troll-wives or giantesses known as the Iarnvidiur.

One of the signs of the coming of Ragnarök was that Skoll would devour the goddess Sol, and Hati would swallow Moon. The Nine Worlds would suffer from long winter.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Loki

Loki is the son of giants and foster brother of Óðin. He is a trickster, a shape-changer, and the master of lies and deceit. He is the father of three monsters: the wolf Fenrir, who will swallow Óðin at Ragnarök; the monster Jörmangandr, who will drown Þór in venom at Ragnarök; and the monster Hel who presides over the hall of the dead in Niflheim, and whose hospitality includes offering visitors drinking horns full of urine.

Loki plays a central role in many of the stories of the Æsir. And, he is unique among the gods in having a character which changes through the stories. At first, he was a prankster, not to be trusted, but helpful on many occasions, such as in the story of rebuilding the walls of Ásgarð. With his lies, and his habit of revealing secrets, Loki constantly stirred the gods against each other, such as in the story of Freyja's necklace. Later, he became spiteful and malevolent, such as when he cut Sif's hair. The gods' merriment over the agonies of his punishment probably turned Loki's maliciousness into a vindictive desire to destroy them.

Ultimately, Loki caused the death of Baldr, wisest of the gods. As punishment, Loki now lies in a cave, bound to a rock by the entrails of his sons. A snake fastened to a stalactite above him drips venom into his face. Loki's faithful wife Sigyn catches the venom in a bowl, protecting Loki from harm. When the bowl fills, she carries it away and empties it into a rock basin in the cave. During those moments, Loki is left unguarded, and the snake's venom splashes in his face. In torment, he shudders and writhes. This is the cause of earthquakes. Loki will remain bound in the cave until Ragnarök, when he will lead the monsters and the giants into battle against the gods.

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill..... in Norse mythology, the great tree of the world. Its branches and roots extended through all the universe—the heavens, the earth, and the underworld. At its top sat an eagle, at its bottom twined a serpent, and between them ran a squirrel breeding discord. It was prophesied that at the doom of the gods the tree would be destroyed.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Creation of The Universe

Ginnungagap existed before Heaven and Earth. The Northern region of Ginnungagap became full of ice, and this harsh land was known as Niflheim. Opposite of Niflheim was the southern region known as Muspelheim, which contained bright sparks and glowing embers. Ymir was conceived in Ginnungagap when the ice of Niflheim met with Muspelheim's heat and melted, releasing "eliwaves" and drops of eitr. The eitr drops stuck together and formed a giant of rime frost (a hrimthurs) between the two worlds and the sparks from Muspelheim gave him life. While Ymir slept, he fell into a sweat and conceived the race of giants. Under his left arm grew a man and a woman, and his legs begat his six-headed son Þrúðgelmir.
Ymir fed from the primeval cow Auðhumla's four rivers of milk, who in turn fed from licking the salty ice blocks. Her licking the rime ice eventually revealed the body of a man named Búri. Búri fathered Borr, and Borr and his wife Bestla had three sons given the names Odin, Vili and .

The sons of Borr killed Ymir, and when Ymir fell the blood from his wounds poured forth. Ymir's blood drowned almost the entire tribe of frost giants. Only two giants survived the flood of Ymir's blood, one was Ymir's grandson Bergelmir (son of Þrúðgelmir), and the other his wife. Bergelmir and his wife brought forth new families of frost giants.

Odin and his brothers used Ymir's body to create Midgard at the center of Ginnungagap. His brow became Midgard, the domain of man. The blood of Ymir formed seas and lakes. From his bones mountains were erected. His teeth and bone fragments became stones. From his hair grew trees and maggots from his flesh became the race of dwarves.

The gods set Ymir's skull above Ginnungagap and made the sky, supported by four dwarves. These dwarves were given the names East, West, North and South. Odin then created winds by placing one of Bergelmir's sons, in the form of an eagle, at the ends of the earth . He cast Ymir's brains into the wind to become the clouds.

Next, the sons of Borr took sparks from Muspelheim and dispersed them throughout Ginnungagap, thus creating stars and light for Heaven and Earth. From pieces of driftwood trees the sons of Borr made men. They made a man named Ask and a woman named Embla. It is from these two that the race of man was born.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Heimdall

Image Image

Heimdall is the guardian of the gods who will blow the Gjallarhorn if danger approaches Asgard. His senses are so acute that he can hear the grass grow and he can see to the end of the world; he can hear a leaf fall; he also requires no sleep at all. He is moreover the guardian of the Bifrost Bridge, a rainbrow bridge that leads to Asgard [/b

Asgard

The home of the gods, one of the nine worlds of norse mythology. Asgard was the topmost level of the nine worlds. The Æsir gods and goddesses had their mansions and palaces here. Asgard was connected to Midgard by the rainbow bridge, Bifrost. The red ark in the rainbow is actually burning fire so to make the bridge impassable to mountain giants and frost giants. Most of the major gods or Æsir have their own halls in Asgard.

Asgard is surrounded by a huge strong wall built by a giant. (Stay tuned for the story of Asgard's wall)
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Odin

Odhinn, Odin, Woden, Wuotan, Wotan- The highest and holiest god of the Northern races. He is the god of universal wisdom and victory. According to some sources he has the Valkyries collect half of the slain following any battle, according to other sources the Valkyries only collect heros. These warriors are then brought across Bifrost and into Valhalla. These warriors are known as the Einherjar. Odhinn's symbols include the raven, the wolf, and the spear. Odhinn is said to have two ravens, Hugin (thought) and Munin (memory) that he sends forth into the world every day to gather information for him. He is also said to have two wolves Geri (greedy) and Freki (fierce). He is said to feed the wolves the meat from his plate in Valhalla as all he needs for sustenance is Mead. Odhinn's spear, Gungnir, crafted by the sons of Ilvadi, is said to have the power to determine victory in battle. Another of Odhinn's symbols is the valknut, three triangles interlaced.

Odin is a god of war and death, but also the god of poetry and wisdom. He hung for nine days, pierced by his own spear, on the world tree. Here he learned nine powerful songs, and eighteen runes. Odin can make the dead speak to question the wisest amongst them. His hall in Asgard is Valaskjalf ("shelf of the slain") where his throne Hlidskjalf is located. From this throne he observes all that happens in the nine worlds.

Odin has only one eye, which blazes like the sun. His other eye he traded for a drink from the Well of Wisdom, and gained immense knowledge. On the day of the final battle, Odin will be killed by the wolf Fenrir.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Runes

The following is Odin's recounting of the eighteen Runes of Power he learned while hanging from the world tree by his own spear as recounted by Har. Ths will not be on the quiz so only read it for fun. It does however mention all eighteen runes and their possible functions which might play a big part in the game. Read them and quote them if you wish. But only for fun!!

from the Havamal.

Know how to cut them, know how to read them,
Know how to stain them, know how to prove them,
Know how to evoke them, know how to score them,
Know how to send them"; know how to send them,

Better not to ask than to over-pledge
As a gift that demands a gift";
Better not to send than to slay too many,

The first charm I know is unknown to rulers
Or any of human kind;
Help it is named,
for help it can give In hours of sorrow and anguish.

I know a second that the sons of men
Must learn who wish to be leeches.

I know a third: in the thick of battle,
If my need be great enough,
It will blunt the edges of enemy swords,
Their weapons will make no wounds.

I know a fourth:
it will free me quickly
If foes should bind me fast
With strong chains, a chant that makes Fetters spring from the feet,
Bonds burst from the hands.

I know a fifth: no flying arrow,
Aimed to bring harm to men,
Flies too fast for my fingers to catch it
And hold it in mid-air.

I know a sixth:
it will save me if a man
Cut runes on a sapling' s Roots
With intent to harm; it turns the spell;
The hater is harmed, not me.

I know a seventh:
If I see the hall
Ablaze around my bench mates,
Though hot the flames, they shall feel nothing,
If I choose to chant the spell.

I know an eighth:
that all are glad of,
Most useful to men:
If hate fester in the heart of a warrior,
It will soon calm and cure him.

I know a ninth:
when need I have
To shelter my ship on the flood,
The wind it calms, the waves it smoothes
And puts the sea to sleep,

I know a tenth:
if troublesome ghosts
Ride the rafters aloft,
I can work it so they wander astray,
Unable to find their forms,
Unable to find their homes.

I know an eleventh:
when I lead to battle Old comrades in-arms,
I have only to chant it behind my shield,
And unwounded they go to war,
Unwounded they come from war,
Unscathed wherever they are.

I know a twelfth:
If a tree bear
A man hanged in a halter,
I can carve and stain strong runes
That will cause the corpse to speak,
Reply to whatever I ask.

I know a thirteenth
if I throw a cup Of water over a warrior,
He shall not fall in the fiercest battle,
Nor sink beneath the sword,

I know a fourteenth, that few know:
If I tell a troop of warriors
About the high ones, elves and gods,
I can name them one by one.
(Few can the nit-wit name.)

I know a fifteenth,
that first Thjodrerir
Sang before Delling's doors,
Giving power to gods, prowess to elves,
Fore-sight to Hroptatyr Odhinn,

I know a sixteenth:
if I see a girl
With whom it would please me to play,
I can turn her thoughts, can touch the heart
Of any white armed woman.

I know a seventeenth:
if I sing it,
the young Girl will be slow to forsake me.

To learn to sing them, Loddfafnir,
Will take you a long time,
Though helpful they are if you understand them,
Useful if you use them,
Needful if you need them.

I know an eighteenth that I never tell
To maiden or wife of man,
A secret I hide from all
Except the love who lies in my arms,
Or else my own sister.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Thor

Thor is the son of Odin and husband to Sif. He rules over Thrudvangar kingdom and his hall (Bilskirnir) is the largest house known to man, with 640 floors.

Thor is probably the best known of the Norse Gods. He is a simple God, the patron of farmers and other folk who are "wise, but not too wise" as the Eddas advise us to be. Thor is best known for wandering the world in search of adventure; usually found in the form of giants or other monsters to kill. He possesses tremendous strength and the hammer Mjolnir, which was made for him by the Dwarfs. Mjolnir is considered to be the Gods' greatest treasure because it is sure protection from the forces of the Jotnar. Using Mjolnir, Thor is a warrior figure, but he is less a professional warrior than a common man called upon to defend his land. He loves battle not for itself as do the berserkers of Odin, nor does he have a strong code of honor such as that of Tyr--in fact he breaks with honor and kills giants whether they have the protection of "hospitality" or not. Thor is associated with thunder and lightning, but it's important to note that he is not the God of destructive storms, thunder and lightning were associated with the summer storms that brought swift crop growth. Thor is nature as a benefit to man. The Jotnar are held to be the source of the destruction found in nature. Thor was the God of "everyman." He was simple in purpose, strong, and free. He was most beloved of the freemen farmers who populated the Germanic lands.

Thor owns three precious things. One is the hammer Mjolnir which the frost ogres and cliff giants know when is raised aloft. The second one is a belt of strength and when he buckles that on, his divine might is doubled. The third thing are his iron gauntlets; he cannot do without these when he grips the handle of Mjolnir.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Frey

Frey is one of the most important deities in Norse paganism and Norse mythology. Worshipped as a phallic fertility god, Frey "bestows peace and pleasure on mortals". He rules over the rain, the shining of the sun and the produce of the fields. He is one of the Vanir, the son of the sea god Njörðr and brother of the love goddess Freya. The gods gave him Álfheimr, the realm of the Elves, as a teething present. He rides the shining dwarf-made boar Gullinbursti and possesses the ship Skíðblaðnir which always has a favorable breeze and can be folded together and carried in a pouch when it is not being used. He has the servants Skírnir, Byggvir and Beyla.

The most extensive Frey myth relates Frey's falling in love with the giantess Gerðr. Eventually she becomes his wife but first Frey has to give away his magic sword which fights on its own "if wise be he who wields it". Deprived of this weapon Frey defeats the giant Beli with an antler. But at Ragnarök, the end of the world, Frey will be killed by the fire giant Surt.

Horses are held to be sacred to Frey, probably because of fertility connections

Freya

In Norse mythology, Freya is a goddess of love and fertility, and the most beautiful and propitious of the goddesses. She is the patron goddess of crops and birth, the symbol of sensuality and was called upon in matters of love. She loves music, spring and flowers, and is particularly fond of the elves (fairies). Freya is one of the foremost goddesses of the Vanir.

She is the daughter of the god Njord, and the sister of Frey. Later she married the mysterious god Od (probably another form of Odin), who disappeared. When she mourned for her lost husband, her tears changed into gold.

Her attributes are the precious necklace of the Brisings, which she obtained by sleeping with four dwarfs, a cloak (or skin) of bird feathers, which allows its wearer to change into a falcon, and a chariot pulled by two cats. She owns Hildesvini ("battle boar") which is actually her human lover Ottar in disguise. Her chambermaid is Fulla. Freya lives in the beautiful palace Folkvang ("field of folk"), a place where love songs are always played, and her hall is Sessrumnir. She divides the slain warriors with Odin: one half goes to her palace, while the other half goes to Valhalla. Women also go to her hall.

She was also a sorceress who practiced the shamanic magick known as Seidhr, which she taught to Odin. Freya is the Goddess most often invoked by independent women. While she is a Goddess of beauty, she is not dependent on men as is the stereotype of so many love Goddesses, but is strong and fiercely independent. She is also known as the Great Dis and probably has connections to the family spirits known as the Disir. In many ways she is like Odin in that she is a Goddess of many functions which are not always obviously related.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Frigg

In Norse mythology, Frigg was said to be "foremost among the goddesses," the wife of Odin, queen of the Æsir, and goddess of the sky. One of the Ásynjur, she is a goddess of marriage, motherhood, fertility, love, household management, and domestic arts. Her primary functions in the Norse mythological stories are as wife and mother, but these are not her only functions.

Frigg has the power of prophecy although she does not tell what she knows, and is the only one other than Odin who is permitted to sit on his high seat Hlidskjalf and look out over the universe. She also participates in the Wild Hunt (Asgardreid) along with her husband.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Tyr

Image Image

While seldom reckoned today among the most popular of the Gods, Tyr is extremely important. He is the God of battle, of justice, and (secondary to Odin) of Kingship. The most important myth concerning Tyr shows both his bravery and honor. He gave his hand as surety to the Fenris Wolf that no trickery was involved in the Gods binding of him. When the fetter in fact did bind the wolf, Tyr lost his hand. The honor and reliance on ones word is often overlooked in this myth in favor of an interpretation of self sacrifice. However, throughout the myths various deals are made and the Aesir easily get out of them. It's likely that Tyr could have escaped his fate as well, but one's word is one's word and thus Tyr lost his hand because it was less valuable to him than his honor and word. Tyr was held to be the God of the Thing or assembly. While the ancient Norse were not truly democratic, and in fact held slaves, within the noble class all were reckoned to be roughly equal. The Thing was a place where the landholders would meet for trade and to iron out disputes among them, in the hope of avoiding feuds. Tyr was originally the chieftain of the Aesir and the God of Kingship, but he has been gradually supplanted by Odin, especially during the Viking Age. It is likely this was because of Tyr's strong sense of honor and justice. For raiding and pillaging, Odin, the God of the berserker rage, was a much better patron than Tyr, the God of honorable battle. This is an important thing to note about Northern religion: it is extremely adaptable. There are not hard and fast rules about who is what and while the nature of the Gods cannot be changed they are more than happy to have the aspects most important to their worshippers emphasized. Just as a person uses different skills and "becomes a different person" when they move or change jobs, so the Gods too have adapted to new climates and needs.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The Giants (Jotnar)

The Jotnar or giants are the sworn enemies of the Gods. While the Aesir represent order and the Vanir represent the supportive powers of nature, the Jotnar represent chaos and the power of nature to destroy man and act independent of humankind. In the end, it is the Jotnar who will fight the Gods at Ragnarok and bring about the destruction of the world.

In essence despite being called Giants or Ogres, the Jotnar are Gods just as much as the Aesir or Vanir. In many cases they correspond very closely to the Fomoire in Celtic mythology. Most simply put, the Jotnar are the Gods of all those things which man has no control over. The Vanir are the Gods of the growing crops, the Jotnar are the Gods of the river which floods and washes away those crops or the tornado which destroys your entire farm. This is why they are frightening and this is why we hold them to be evil.

The Jotnar are not worshipped in modern Asatru, but there is some evidence that sacrifices were made to them in olden times. In this case, sacrifices may very well have been made "to them" rather than shared "with them" as was the case with the Vanir and Aesir. It would be inappropriate to embrace them as friends and brothers in the way we embrace our Gods. One doesn't embrace the hurricane or the wildfire; it is insanity to do so.

As I've suggested earlier, the Jotnar aren't grouped so much by their commonalities, but by their non-membership in the Aesir. Thus, some of them are benign, while others are apparently evil to the core. Aegir, Skadi, and several of the wives or mates of the Aesir are from Jotnar stock. Others, such as those appearing at Ragnarok, seem to have no redeeming characteristics and are entirely hostile.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Iðunn

Image Image

Iðunn was one of the goddesses in Norse mythology. According to the Prose Edda, she was the custodian of apples that allowed the Æsir to maintain their eternal youthfulness. She was the wife of Bragi, god of poetry.

As related in Haustlöng Iðunn was abducted with her apples by a jotun (giant) who used Loki as a stooge to lure Iðunn out of Asgard. During her absence, the Æsir began to age without the rejuvenating qualities of her apples, prompting them to press Loki into the task of rescuing her. Borrowing Freya's falcon skin, Loki retrieved Iðunn from the Jotan transforming her into the form of a nut for the flight back. displeased, The Jotun pursued them in the form of an eagle, but was defeated by having his wings set afire by a bonfire created by the Æsir.
edzz
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 2 months

Post by edzz »

DSIGFUSS wrote:Frey

Frey has to give away his magic sword which fights on its own "if wise be he who wields it".
Hope I could have that magic sword too.
jhoonday
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by jhoonday »

Based on my research, at Viking victory celebrations, they drink draughts of their enemies' blood out of drinking vessels fashioned from human skulls. The toast "Skol!" may be derived from this custom. They are really one of a kind to watch and read for.

Return to “Helluland”