OOC GAME QUESTIONS : VIKINGS AND ESKIMOS

The Vikings have just begun settling the new world and have set their sights on Helluland. “The Land of Flat Stone” Can the ancient Eskimo inhabitants stop the Viking invasion or will the Vikings fulfill their prophecy and cover the flat rocks of Helluland in blood and steel.

Choose your side. Protect your people and intermingle with ancient Inuit creatures as Baffin Island is torn asunder by Viking steel and myth.

Choose your side. Join the invading Viking army and clear the way for Iceland’s settlers as Helluland’s native Inuit people and their gods are put to the sword and the axe.

[This game accepts new players]

Moderator: DSIGFUSS

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

OOC GAME QUESTIONS : VIKINGS AND ESKIMOS

Post by DSIGFUSS »

I thought it would be better if you put your important game questions in a separate thread so they don't get mixed in with the Mixer chatter. So here is where you post your game questions.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: OOC GAME QUESTIONS : VIKINGS AND ESKIMOS

Post by welsh »

Dsig-

You might want to go over some of the combat rules as the Dark Ages rules are a bit, odd.

Also- character creation 110 for primary stats? And you will modify?

Also do you have a list of extra weapons?

Do the tribes have leaders? Are we assume our characters are advance scouts or are there other vikings in the boat?
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Is 110 too much? It's been pretty standard from the other games I'm playing and they aren't even really ass kicking based.
Yeah I plan on learning the rules for Dark Ages this weekend. Once I get my hands on the book I'll fly through it. I'll post a list of weapons sometime today.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

Well, I'd like to be in the game (although I really don't have the time). As a Swede I would of course be interested in playing a Viking. When do you need to have the character concept?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

I'm willing to play an Eskimo Shaman but I know little about the culture. Could you post up a bit on their social mannerisms? For example, what is culturally polite - to be quiet, boisterous, use plenty of honorifics, be really familiar?
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sorry... the Shaman's taken. I just had a similar problem on the viking side with the witch. He came up with a great idea though. A semi mystical character. I could work in another magic dude..... half shaman half warrior all Narwhale. Just kidding.... maybe.
Seriously though It would be awesome if you played. We can even talk about two shamans cuz those are the only female characters in the Eskimo world. You could play a villager or some out in the snow hunter gatherer outsider type.

Either way.... The Vikings are close...... you can smell them in the wind.
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Will the Shamans be losing sanity for spell usage like in the normal rules for Call of Cthulhu?
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

As for the personality and culture of the Dorset tribe. The Vikings described the natives they met on Helluland as large gentle children. I imagine them to be a very kind and joyful people. Totally in the moment with a deep resevoir of emotion hidden in their souls. You know what I mean. The say what they mean and mean what they say types. Their warriors are strong willed, and love their work.(hunting) They are sharp and witty in their own way. Being human however, they can be played good or evil, generous or selfish, fat or thin. You kind of see where I'm going with this guys.

Eskimos - Happy go lucky with a side order of bottomless patience.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Will the Shamans be losing sanity for spell usage like in the normal rules for Call of Cthulhu?

Yes. I'm going to take whatever Cthulhu abilities are closest to the Inuit powers and modify the cthulhu ability just slightly. Sanity loss will definitely be involved, escpecially for things like visons and spirit walks. You might just lose your mind if you change into a lemming to many times. (That's right.. i said lemmings)
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Trixie and Laraqua or just Trixie depending on what Laraqua decided to do.

Read this action:

The Inuit people believed that both the vast, cold universe and their individual camps were inhabited by supernatural beings of many different kinds. Most important were the human souls. There were three different kinds: personal souls, name souls (remember name partnerships?), and ghosts. Animals also had souls. Shamans had the ability to harness many of these for specific tasks such as personal protection.

The shaman could exercise a leadership function in Inuit society. The role of the shaman was usually assumed by men, but sometimes by women. The shaman's power over the community, however, was negative in the sense that a shaman could influence through fear. This typically put the group in debt to the shaman. While they may be disliked, shamans were always important social forces, exerting control over the lives of every individual within their influence. Very seldomly did secular and shamanistic power overlap
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Maybe I could play a one-time shaman who left the village to live as a hermit, hence my replacement. Could create interesting role-playing dynamics?
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Yeah I would like that. You return to your people when the viking's arrive and then there will be lots of tension between you and your replacement. I will even start you off separately from the other tribe to start off. Then the replacement Shaman can establish a bit of control before you come in from the cold and try to get your old job back. Good idea...
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

'narrows eyes'

Hmm....who can be more evil.....grrrr......
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by trixie »

Dan are you still looking for one more Eskimo? It's still up on the other site (http://www.darkandmoodyforums.com) I posted that you were still looking for one more ass kicker Eskimo. Is that true? (male character that is....so far many many vikings and only 4 eskimos, two of which are chicks....just wondering)
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Andrew »

trixie wrote: Dan are you still looking for one more Eskimo? It's still up on the other site (http://www.darkandmoodyforums.com) I posted that you were still looking for one more ass kicker Eskimo. Is that true? (male character that is....so far many many vikings and only 4 eskimos, two of which are chicks....just wondering)

If you are still looking we can leave it up but if you say we can pull it just let either me or Imp know. Either of us can pull the ad down when you're done.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Yeah I could go for 1 more Eskimo warrior, That wil put it at 5 and 5. A little more than I wanted to start with but leave it up. I'm going to have Laraqua in her own thread for the first couple days.
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

DSIGFUSS wrote: Yeah I could go for 1 more Eskimo warrior, That wil put it at 5 and 5. A little more than I wanted to start with but leave it up. I'm going to have Laraqua in her own thread for the first couple days.

Roger that.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Dsig- considering a Viking longboat has a crew of 40 rowers, what are you planning for NPCs.

- Anonymous Cannibal
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Out of curiousity, how many people have the Dark Ages book?

- Anonymous Cannibal
Andrew
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Andrew »

I don't have a single Cthulhu book, not even on pdf.

Return to “Helluland”