Expeditions, maps, etc.

Moderator: Raiko

Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

travel and research plans

Post by Steerpike »

McRaven is from a well to do family so making arrangements would be fairly simple, but he will out of habit, fly for most of the journey.

On the way he will pick up a couple of books, about the Scott expedition and any titles relating to the use of aircraft in artic expeditions, simply to give him some idea as to what he can expect.

If possible some background reading on the Miskatonic expedition, if university imprints can be found during his journey. Otherwise he will leave that until he is settled in New York.

Tucked away in his luggage with his flying gear, is a MkV webley service revolver and a box of 50 .455 shells. Old habits die hard :wink:

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...hmm were did i hear that one before
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Getting to America

Post by Raiko »

For those characters who are not based in North-America, the following liners are available.

Trans-Atlantic

SS America (United States Lines): Departs Southampton 31st July - Arrives New York 8th August

RMS Majestic (White Star Line): Departs Southampton 7th August - Arrives New York 12th August

RMS Berengaria (Cunnard Lines): Departs Southampton 12th August - Arrives New York 18th August

European based characters could also take a Zepplin flight across the Atlantic, if they don't mind travelling with a German Carrier (bearing in mind that all three of the above ships were originally German Liners)

Trans-Pacific

SS President Coolidge (Dollar Steamship Lines): Departs Shanghai 23rd July – via Honolulu – Arrives San-Francisco 7th August

SS President Hoover (Dollar Steamship Lines): Departs Yokahama 2nd August – via Honolulu – Arrives San-Francisco 17th August

These dates may need adjusting slightly to allow Kitt to make the journey, bearing in mind that she needs to get to one of the ports from Nepal in the first place. I'll double check later.

I’ll post some images and stuff later from home (I can’t access Imageshack through the firewall at work).
Shadow
Layman
Layman

Post by Shadow »

Assuming she gets accepted, she could take a steam ship from Bombay around South Africa then up to Europe, from there she could grab a Zeppelin flight (preferable to boats) or take one of the ships. Bearing in mind its 1933, so Hitler just (Jan of this year) came to power. The Nazi party isn't the great evil... yet.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I found a few lines that go from India to Europe, I'll find a suitable ship.

I'd just assumed that you'd prefer to cross direct to the States, although obviously that would have required a long journey to Japan / China and another coast-coast trip once you reached San-Francisco.

Taking a Zepplin's fine, cool way to travel I think. I was thinking more of the Great-War veterans not wanting to travel "with the Huns" rather than any worries about the Nazi party.
Shadow
Layman
Layman

Post by Shadow »

Good point, but she is relativley young, and the daughter of a pilot. The Pilots had a entirley different view of the enemy than the ground pounders.
OrionUK
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by OrionUK »

Having received his acceptance letter, James will take the White Star MS Majestic (as one of his preferred cruises) but will fund his own cabin as he has a certain standard that he prefers not to drop below. He will get one of the Butlers onto it straight away.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Jack lives in "town," so he won't need to travel (except across the city, presumably). He does, however, feel grossly underprepared for such a journey. He's going to try to gather what basic geographical and historical information he can about previous trips, especially the failed Miskatonic trip. As a journalist, he may have some contacts who know something about the Pole--maybe a university person? If so, he'll be trying to get in touch with them for some advice. His knowledge of how to proceed on such an expedition is so limited, really, that he's going to restrict himself to basic, easily available library resources plus personal contacts. He does, after all, also have a job that he's continuing to perform in the interim.

He's been around enough, though, to consider it prudent to pack some heat for the cold trip. He'll plan on picking up a .32 revolver and ammunition.

EDIT: Jack would also like to learn a bit more about Starkweather and/or Moore. He'll check the paper's morgue and ask any of his contacts who he thinks might know or know about either one. He's not looking for dirt, exactly, but he wants to know who he's dealing with as much as possible.
GaryTheNerd
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 18 years

Post by GaryTheNerd »

Clark is in Boston and is getting a ride to New York from a friend and former patient. He plans on bringing his personal medial kit, his Lee-Enfield and a box of ammunition.

He plans on brushing up on the latest in treatments for frostbite, hypothermia and other related diseases as well as reading several psychiatric journals concerning short and long term isolation. Clark has little interest in Starkweather or Moore, but he will research into the failed Miskatonic expedition, particularly anything concerning Lake's party.
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Callum will take the SS America, on 31st of July.

He will book straight into the Amherst Hotel.

Using this as a base, he will research anything he can find about the 1st expedition, the weather conditions at the time of the current expedition and he will make sure that his equipment is in a perfect state, ready for setting off.

He is, of cousre, taking his own gear, as its the best money can buy anyway.
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

Professor Graves will take the RMS Majestic to NY and book into the Amherst. He travels light, intending to buy any necessary equipment while in the States. He does however take his medical bag and WWI service revolver with extra ammunition.
He uses his time on the crossing to study up on cold related medical conditions and the backgrounds of the expedition's two leaders.
Shadow
Layman
Layman

Post by Shadow »

Ok so it looks like Kitt will take a flight to Bombay, hop a boat north through the Suez canal, and then a train to Berlin. From Berlin it's a Zeplin to New York!
Gloomy
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Gloomy »

William Turner will spend some time tieing up any loose contracts he has with magazines/newspapers in London which may take some time which means he will then travel on the RMS Berengaria to America booking in at the Amherst hotel on the 18th. He will take most of his photographic equipment and a luger pistol that he picked up in germany with a full set of ammunition. While traveling he will read up on James Starkweather and the miskatonic expedition. He will hire a studio in New York for the entirety of his stay using his substantial funds and continue to research for his book.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

Olof will check upon on the drilling machine of Pabodie. He will also try to end any current engagements he has with any current employer in the Appalachians. He also tries to read as much as he can about Antarctica in his spare time. He also tries to get a room in New York something not to fancy, but not to shabby either.
Gloomy
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Gloomy »

Perhaps to push it along if we all have our travel plans set out then we should rush on to the meeting in new york? Also sorry i've not been on i've been away auditioning for a drama school. :(
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I'd prefer you not to push things along at this stage, see my post in the OOC thread.

You'll all be arriving at the Amherst for the Formal Dinner today. :)
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

If given time Olof will spend some time with the Norwegians, hoping to get any tips of what he has to think about when they come to Antarctica. Olof has no previous experience of such a harsh climate. He also tries to get a chat with a man I have forgot the name of who would be part of the drilling team. I think he sat at the same table as I at the dinner.

Return to “General Information”