In Character and Out of Character threads for completed
chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

GaryTheNerd
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 18 years

Post by GaryTheNerd »

Slightly disappointed that I didn't get to hurl furniture at anyone, but otherwise very well done.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Wow, that was great Raiko, I hope you resolve all the combat like that, cause it was AWESOME!
I'm just going to have to second that.

Seeing that someone already used his idea
Slightly disappointed that I didn't get to hurl furniture at anyone, but otherwise very well done.
Depending on how things panned out poor Lawrence could have found himself buried under a storm of chairs, plates, vases and Inuit Guides. ;)
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Raiko wrote: Depending on how things panned out poor Lawrence could have found himself buried under a storm of chairs, plates, vases and Inuit Guides. ;)

Classic.
Mister Juan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Juan »

Decrepit wrote:
Raiko wrote:Depending on how things panned out poor Lawrence could have found himself buried under a storm of chairs, plates, vases and Inuit Guides. ;)

Classic.

hahahahhaha!
Now that just made my day. :lol:
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Sorry to take a while replying, it was my little boy's birthday.

If anyone wants more answers from the leader's ask now, they'll be the first two people questioned by the cops (as well as Grey Wolf).

I'm not planning on roleplaying the taking of statements, if anyone fancies telling less than the whole truth to the cops (for whatever reason), then please PM me.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Leaving the Washington Room (or the Hotel) without giving a statment to the cops will require either a Credit Rating, or a Persuade roll.

In either case it will still be necessary to make a statement, but it can be made at the police headquarters the following day.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

After Moore's speech, Jack's going to try to persuade the cops to let him call his editor. I'm presuming there's not a phone in the room and that he'll have to leave the Washington Room temporarily.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Sorry for the sort delay, I've been very busy - I'll make a big post tonight to catch up. This post should finish the Formal Dinner section off, so start thinking what you plan on doing straight after, and also in the few days before September 1st (Chapter 1).

BTW: I've had a quick MSN chat with Gloomy, and they will still be playing later, so I'll be keeping William in.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

Olof will have no trouble with giving his statement to the police.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

A day or so after the dinner is wrapped up, Jack will attempt to talk his editor into funding a quick one- or two-day trip to Miskatonic University to visit with Professor Pabodie. Jack will try to telephone Pabodie first and set up an interview, but if he can't, or if Pabodie seems reluctant or outright unwilling to talk, Jack will still head to Miskatonic, try to pin down Pabodie in person, and, at the very least, try to dig up some more information about the 1930 expedition. He'll also pick up a copy of Dyer's report on the expedition at the university bookstore.

Jack's not really looking for dirt or expecting to find anything truly scandalous (much less supernatural), but Lawrence's behavior has only strengthened his curiosity and his instinct for self-preservation. Prior to departing, Jack will try to learn a bit more about the drill (no pun intended) from the expedition members so that he can talk slightly more intelligently about it with Pabodie. And why isn't Pabodie coming on this trip, anyway?
Shadow
Layman
Layman

Post by Shadow »

Moving day starts today. I won't have internett access most of the day. I should tonight though and I should be able to get caught up on most of my threads tonight. If I am holding up the game feel free to make a GM call and have my character act without me.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I'm still quite busy, but hopefully I can stay on track now.

If anybody hangs around the Washington Room I'll introduce a few more NPCs, or you have a chance to chat with Moore if you like.

Or if anyone else wants to join the posse heading for Lawrence's room there still might be time. Alternatively it may still be possible to tag along with Charles Graves and visit Lawrence at the police HQ.

My IC post made use of Invisible Castle rolls, but I've not added the hyperlinks yet as I made the rolls at home, but made the post from work.

I'll link in all the dice throws from home later.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I'll post some picture tonight from home.

Hopefully I won't be quite so busy this week, so I should be able to post every day. :)

@Shadow: Hope the move goes well, if you don't get to post I'll assume that Kitt agrees to accompany Moore, and meet some other expedition members.
Shadow
Layman
Layman

Post by Shadow »

thats cool, shes not really an investigator or anything. She would do her best to meet the people she is going to be flying around.
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

quick heads up

Post by Steerpike »

Hey folks,

I may manage another post today, but after that I will be gone until tuesday. I am heading down to continuum on friday morning 8)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

@Steerpike: That’s cool, there shouldn’t be anything too life threatening happens to McRaven before Tuesday anyway.

@Ghost: I’ve sent you a PM regarding Lawrence’s diary.

As things seem to be going smoothly with this big group, and as Maxim dropped out, and Gloomy may or may not start posting later: I’ve allowed Lanesracra to join us, I’ve also said that Azazel can join if he/she wants. They will be joining the game at the start of Chapter 1.

The game is running slightly slower than I’d anticipated, but then again I thought the Prologue would take longer, and my own posting rate has been slower than normal. Hopefully I can get going faster now.

I’ve seen an idea of another GM (Blitz on Dumpshock) of allowing the players to take as long as they like to role-play their conversations, etc during the week, but then posting a “plot push” every weekend (if necessary). I’m thinking of using the same system here so that I can keep the game roughly on schedule without you all worrying when I’ll push things along next.

What do you all think? Obviously I would postpone the plot push if necessary, but it would at least allow you to anticipate when it was coming. :)

BTW: I’m glad you all decided to split into smaller groups, it seems more real that way, and also I think it will make my life easier if you keep doing it. I think that playing this way will also make it easier for characters to build realistic relationships with the various NPCs.

I’d been concerned that I was going to end up with 10 characters all trying to sneak into Lawrence’s room at the same time. :lol:

I'll be posting again IC later today.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Raiko wrote: What do you all think? Obviously I would postpone the plot push if necessary, but it would at least allow you to anticipate when it was coming. :)

This seems like a good idea to me.
BTW: I’m glad you all decided to split into smaller groups, it seems more real that way, and also I think it will make my life easier if you keep doing it. I think that playing this way will also make it easier for characters to build realistic relationships with the various NPCs.

If this were D&D, we'd say it was easier to kill off the PCs that way, too. :D

And welcome aboard, Lanesracra.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Decrepit wrote: If this were D&D, we'd say it was easier to kill off the PCs that way, too. :D

:lol: But since it's CoC I can kill you all off regardless of the size of the group, so splitting up makes sense. :twisted:
OrionUK
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by OrionUK »

Oh no Raiko you cant start talking about killing us off yet when we havn't even set off on the expedition yet!! :shock:
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Sorry I've not posted yet, I've got a post almost done for the police headquarters, but I'm having to "work at work" at the moment. :(

I'll definitely post at least once later today, and also on Saturday. Then the first "plot-push" will be on Sunday, so that we're past the formal dinner events by the start of next week.

I'll be spending one or two more real-life weeks on the Prologue. Whether it's one week or two depends on your characters' plans for the time before Sept 1st, eg trips to Arkham, etc.

I'm also going post a map of "Call of Cthulhu New England" so that those players who aren't familliar with Lovecraft's setting know where Arkham, Kingsport, etc are located. Plus a game map of Manhattan.
Henrik wrote: OOC: Are these NPCs something the writers of the scenario cooked up? Snåbjorn does sound Norwegian, but I don't think it's a genuine Norwegian name! It reminds me of the fact that 90% of all Swedish girls seem to be named Inga if you are to believe Hollywood. That name has not been fashionable for at least 40 years or so... :lol:

Yes all the expedition team members’ names are made up by the scenario writers. A quick google search shows that Snåbjorn only seems to exist as a name in this scenario :lol:, and as a misspelling(?) of Snæbjörn, which is an Icelandic first name I think.

I normally check my NPC names on google first, indeed I usually pick names from “Name Sites” in the first place. That’s the good thing about forum games, I usually pick names for minor NPCs as they appear in the game which sometimes leads to embarrassing delays in a tabletop game as I desperately look around the room for inspiration. With a forum game a quick bit of google-fu is all it takes to get an instant authentic NPC name. :D

I’ll maybe do some checking and “tweak” the NPC names (because things like that bug me :roll:).

Return to “Previous Chapters”