chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years

Re: Investigation#1 - Sean, Jack, McRaven and Olof

Post by Henrik »

Olof is satisfied that his work has given some solid results. He tidies up after himself thoroughly and then goes to find Sean, McRaven or Jack. He begins with looking in the cabin he is sharing with Jack.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Decrepit »

Raiko wrote: "Lets see, there's Whitney the chief steward , Abraham the cook , the two mess-boys Henning and Scott, and Price the storekeeper. And of course First Officer Turlow periodically checks all of the holds for shifting cargo."

"Mr Turlow took a look at the damaged pipe though, he said it appeared to just be caused by corrosion. An unfortunate incident, but sadly all too common whilst at sea."[/color]

"Hmm," Jack says. "Very helpful. Thank you, Captain. I assume these men are experienced and vouched for." He says it as a statment but hopes to leave enough opening for the captain to raise any doubts that he might have. Jack knows sailors and men in the service (in one form or another) are touchy on matters of honor, and he doesn't wish to imply anything.
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

McRaven chokes back an angry response, and decides to check the exterior of the aircraft, muttering angrily to himself
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

The Boeings are dismantled for transit. The #2 tween deck hold contains the Shackleton (Kitt's designated aircraft), and also the expedition's two spare engines.

The fuselage in lashed down and covered with a 38 foot canvas tarpaulin, which Kitt has pulled back enough to access the interior.

The two wings and the four engines (2 for the Shackleton and 2 spares) are stored in crates which have also been securely lashed to the deck whilst in port.

McRaven begins looking around the exterior of the Shackleton's fuselage, uncovering and recovering it with the tarpaulin as he goes.

[OOC: I'll wait to see if there is any further conversation between you before I post anything else.

@Steerpike: I let Laraqua choose which of the three Boeings is Kitt's as she stated that Kitt was heading to her own aircraft. McRaven will pilot one of the other two Boeings either the 'Weddell' or the 'Enderby', which would you prefer?

Halperin will pilot the remaining Boeing, while DeWitt will fly in the Fairchild (RF Scott)

These are just your 'primary aircraft' each pilot will actually probably fly all four aircraft at some time or other.]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Vredenburg raises an eyebrow at Jack's leading comment, "As you know I haven't actually commanded the Gabrielle before, although I have worked with Mr Turlow and one or two others in the past."

"There are a few newcomers, but I'm more than happy with the crew and I'm sure they can all be trusted."

"If you like I could arrange a chat with Mr Turlow, so that you can voice your concerns. He's a very busy man, but I'm sure he could spare a few minutes."

[OOC: You can continue with your chat or head back meet with Olof and the others.]
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"I'm sure you're right, Captain. I did remember that you were new here to this command, but I assumed that you men of the sea had your ways of finding out the bona fides of your shipmates.

"I would, of course, appreciate talking to Mr. Turlow, but only for the information he could supply about the others. I'm sure his conduct is beyond reproach." Jack says the last more as a way to try to stay in the captain's good graces than as a fully honest assessment. Yet, he supposed, if Turlow wanted to take them out, he'd have other ways of accomplishing the same goal, and without leaving traces that others could pick up on.

"Would it be convenient now to talk to him, or should I come back?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Bridge

"Well as I said, I'm more than happy with the crew. And you're right, if someone was 'faking it' I'm certain that they would have been found out by now."

Captain Vredenburg shakes his head, "But sadly being a bona fide sailor doesn't prevent someone from also being a saboteur. I'm happy for now to continue under the assumption that the leak was an accident, as Mr Turlow has suggested. However if you find any real evidence that there is a saboteur aboard this ship I promise you it will be taken most seriously indeed, I will not allow the safety of my passengers and crew to be compromised."

"Mr Turlow stands the four-to-eight watch. I expect he'll be sleeping at the moment, but he'll be here on bridge during his morning watch and then probably somewhere on deck until his afternoon watch."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

SS Gabrielle - #4 Tween Deck Hold

Kitt returns to checking out the Shackleton's interior while McRaven and Sean take a look around the outside of the fuselage. They don't find any obvious signs of sabotage.

They also take a quick look at the crates containing the Boeing's wings and engines, all six crates are securely strapped down to the deck. The crates themselves are nailed shut and fitted with integrity seals by the Boeing engineers who disassembled the aircraft. They have clearly not been opened by anyone since the aircraft were disassembled in New Jersey.

The only exception is a single engine crate that was opened up during Patrick Miles' aircraft maintenance classes; that crate is nailed shut and secured to the deck, but Boeing's integrity seals have obviously been broken.

[OOC: That's all you have time to check tonight if you want to meet up with Olof and Jack before lights out as planned. Kitt finishes her work for the night at about the same time

In the morning you could either continue checking out the Shackleton, or take a look at RF Scott and the fuel barrels in the lower hold. If you decide to break open the crates housing the wings and engines you risk making a saboteur's job easier.]
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Thank you, Captain, for your time and for your help," Jack replies. "I'll be certain to let you know what we find out, if anything. We certainly have a common interest here." He smiles grimly and prepares to seek out the others, particularly Olof.
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by BlackGoat »

A sigh escapes...

"The thing that troubles me Mr. McRaven is I know something is amiss on this ship, but where is it...and will we get it before anyone is harmed?"

Sean rubs his chin a bit as he looks around.

"I suppose we will continue tomorrow eh?"
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

McRaven looks over towards Sean.

"Aw hell, mac...call me Bill...the only guy who calls me Mr McRaven is my bank manager!"

The pilot looks around him one last time.

"You're right though...something is very amiss. We can check the seals on the engines and wings tomorrow along with the fuel. We need to get back and find Jack, see if he learned anything"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The four of you all meet up back in Jack & Olof's cabin then. :)

Dr Greene is sat in the crew's mess chatting to Professor Graves, so it's safe to talk for now.

[OOC: Once you've said what you need to I'll move onto the next morning, unless anything terrible happens in the night of course.]
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

[OOC: Yeah, like I really trust Dr. Greene!] :D

"... So that's about all I found out." Jack says. "I should probably talk to Turlow, but I'm not sure he'll be that much more help than the captain. While I imagine neither is above suspecting a crewman, neither is likely to accuse one, either, unless presented with clear evidence.

"Now that we know who had regular access to the reefer, perhaps we can narrow down our efforts."
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Interesting. We have to look into those persons. As I suspected the sabotage was done by an acid, probably sulphuric acid. I don't believe that is something the saboteur carried with him, but something that can be found on this ship. The question is: where? If we could pin-point those places and match them with the people who has access both to those places and the reefer, we might narrow or search somewhat." Olof pauses to let the information sink in and to await the reactions of the others.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Good thinking, Olof," Jack says, grinning. "Yes, that seems the way to go to me -- if we could determine who would have access to both the acid and the reefer, we might just have our man.

"Listen, though," Jack says after a pause. "Do you fellows think we need to free-lance this? Know what I mean? If we have evidence, I'm not sure going to the captain would be all that bad of an idea. He seemed quite open--to me, anyway--to the idea that sabotage was a possibility, though he thought an accident more likely.

"Of course, we could always take the cloak-and-dagger approach."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

All OOC:
Decrepit wrote: [OOC: Yeah, like I really trust Dr. Greene!] :D

I meant that he was out of earshot in the mess, while you four met back in the cabin. As Greene shares the same cabin as Jack and Olof I thought it was important for you to know where he was; there are several other NPCs in the crew mess, but I didn't bother with them.

I propose to post details of the next day or two in my next post (I'm enjoying the game, but I'd like to get to Antarctica sooner or later :lol:)

I'm assuming that McRaven and Sean will start off tomorrow by checking the seals on the wing/engine crates in the #2 tween deck hold, then spend most of the day checking out the Fairchild and all those fuel drums in the #2 lower hold.

Assuming they don't find anything there, they'll check out the other two Boeings in the #4 Hold the following day.

Meanwhile it looks as though Jack and Olof plan to look for a source of Sulphuric Acid, and try to find out who had access to it.

I'll wait another day or so while your characters chat, if I've got the wrong idea about your plans for the next day or two then you can either correct me OOC, or make it clear that your character has other plans in your IC posts.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Feel free to update whenever you like, dear Keeper :)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I'll be moving things on soon, hopefully this evening. I was just waiting for the conversation to finish in the other investigation thread.

Everyone's ready to move on now, but I just need to double check a couple of details before I make my new posts.

Keep watching this space. :)

Hopefully after finally finishing this very, very long day we can finally make some headway (I never knew before this, that there was some sort of invisible wall near the equator that prevents further progress :lol:)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

[OOC: Since your plans are so similar I've assumed that one way or another Kitt joins with Sean and McRaven checking the aircraft.]

Work checking the holds is slow going, with the main cargo hatches closed up whilst at sea everything must be done either by torchlight, or by rigging the heavy cluster lights from the Bosun store. Also everything must be done manually as the closed hatches prevent the Gabrielle's cargo cranes from being used to manipulate the cargo (this will be more of a problem for Callum & James who are checking all of the holds in thread#2 - Isugtag [/b]has also joined them).

Tuesday 26th September, 1933

It takes a few hours of Tuesday morning to finish checking the Shackleton in the #2 Tween deck hold. The radios and other electrical components of the flight deck appear to be ok, all of the integrity seals on the engine and wing crates are undamaged, and the single unsealed engine used for maintenance class is checked and found to be in perfect condition.

The crate is shut back up, and re-secured to the deck.

There is also a heavy pallet of kerosene tins stored in this hold, but it's does not appear to have been tampered with.

The rest of the day is spent down in the #2 lower hold checking the Fairchild Monoplane RF Scott, and the top layer of fuel drums (the lower layers are virtually impossible to check while at sea, but they're also sabotage-proof).

No signs of sabotage are found.

Wednesday 27th September, 1933

If takes the whole day on Wednesday to check the other two Boeings (Weddell and Enderby), stored in the #4 hold (one in the lower, on in the tween-deck) there are only two engines per aircraft here, as the only spares are stored with the Shackleton.

All the engine and wing crates for both aircraft have fully intact integrity seals, neither fuselage shows any sign of sabotage, and all of the cockpit equipment appears to be undamaged.

The only other thing stored in the #4 hold is the expedition's supply of explosives. All of the dynamite is stored in a small makeshift 'bunker' in the #4 Tweendeck hold. The bunker is 8 feet square with heavy wooden walls, the whole structure is surrounded by sandbags. A heavy padlock has been fitted to the door, which thankfully does not appear to have been tampered with.

If you want to access the explosive store First Officer Turlow has the only key to the lock.

The #4 Tween Deck hold is also the only means of accessing the damaged Reefer store. Even though it isn't working, now that the ammonia smell has gone it's still the best place to store the remaining food including the boxes of pemmican, the messboys (Scott and Henning) pass through the #4 hold several times during the day to access the reefer, so do the dog handlers (Erik Frodesen and Olav Sørensen) who need to get pemmican for the dogs.

[OOC: Note: Callum, James and Isugtag were due to search the #4 hold on the same day, I've assumed that you bump into them and that they agree to move onto the #3 store instead.]

Jack and Olof:

Jack and Olof spend two fruitless days trying to find where the sulphuric acid could have come from, and who would have access to it.

The only sulphuric acid legitimately on-board the Gabrielle is in the expedition lab (where Olof did his forensic work), but all of the acid in there is accounted for. In any case all of the expedition team have access to the lab/office, and any number of crew members could have sneaked in. It's mostly used as an office by Starkweather and Moore, but is often empty.

It would appear that the saboteur must have brought their own acid on board.

Thursday 28th September, 1933

I'm not sure what your plans are for today, as all of the planes have now been checked. However there is another disturbance that morning, see the main IC thread.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"This seems fruitless." Olof's mood has worsened. At first the thought of doing some detective work appealed to him, but the lack of progress, the shortage of good food and the mood of the crew have infected the Swede as well. "What do you suggest we do? It seems as our saboteur has got away. Perhaps we just keep our eyes open for anything suspicious and out of place."

Return to “Previous Chapters”