chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Investigation#1 - Sean, Jack, McRaven and Olof

Post by Raiko »

This is a private thread currently intended for the players of Jack, Sean and McRaven only. EDIT: And Olof too. :)
If you are playing a character other than one of those four then please do not make any posts here.
I'm not too concerned about everybody else avoiding reading posts from here, but if you do then please remember that information contained in this thread is not general knowledge.

This thread will run simultaneously with the main IC thread. If you wish to join this investigation, or to chat to any of the characters involved in it, then please make a post in the main IC thread.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Re: Investigation#1 - Sean, Jack and McRaven

Post by Raiko »

[OOC: Ok, I've started this thread just for your three characters so that you can follow your own set of posts more easily.

As this thread runs simultaneously with the main IC thread, please keep an eye on that as any events not limited to your investigation will be posted there, and that is where any other characters can interact with you. If anyone else joins your investigation they can start posting in here as well.]

Here are the last two IC posts from the main thread, that relate to this investigation:
Decrepit wrote: "Well, all right then," Jack says to Sean and McRaven. "I'm happy enough to help if you think it really would be help. It's clear I don't know my stem from my stern when it comes to boats--ships, I mean. See?" He chuckles a little.

"One thing we might want to know is who would have unquestioned access to the reefer. I mean, I really haven't been paying attention, but can just anyone go down there unchallenged? Maybe, but my sense is that people belong in certain places and they're noticed if they're not. We also seem to be looking for someone fairly clever but either not too experienced in sabotage or not inclined to harm us fatally. As bad as the damage is, we can recover from it, especially if we turn back or delay our voyage.

"I think we also might want to think about what some key points of the ship are so that we can keep watch. We can't guard everything, of course, which is why there's all the more need to think about what's vital. If someone wants to keep hurting us, how would he do it?"

Steerpike wrote: McRaven ponders on Jacks words for a moment.
"Hell he'd go for anything that would force us to turn back. He's gone for the food, he could just as easily target drinking water, fuel for the aircraft or the aircraft themselves...so i think some of us should check over that. While Jack..."

McRaven then lapses in silence, looking around him and at the crew.

"You know when we were digging around while back in the states....the sailors were a close knit bunch, I wonder if whoever is doing this is like us...a stranger, someone new, recently joined...maybe you should check that out"

[OOC: You three don't seem to need anything from me just yet, so I'll leave you to it for now.]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

As the three investigators discuss their next move Olof enters the cabin...
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Decrepit »

"Yes," Jack says, "I think it's quite possible that the saboteur, if that's what we've got, is a relative stranger around here. I'll try to ask the captain about that, but I don't want to start a witch hunt.

"Believe me, I've participated in a few--hell, even started a few," he adds ruefully.

"I'll also try to find out the routines around the reefer. I'll admit that I haven't been paying that much attention to how things work around here. As far as I know, anybody could be allowed access, but maybe that's not true."

"Hello, friend," Jack says amiably to Olof upon seeing him enter. "How goes it?"
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Re: Investigation#1 - Sean, Jack, McRaven and Olof

Post by Henrik »

"Hi Jack." He also nods to the others in greeting. "I have found something strange and worrying." The engineer pauses shortly unsure how to continue. "I did some repairs to the refridgeration system. I was able to fix the piping, although the cooling system will not run without cooling agent. When I worked I discovered this." Olof holds out the part of the corroded pipe for inspection. "I suspect that someone has sabotaged this pipe with some sort of corrosive agent, probably an acid of some sort. I'm going to the laboratory to see if I can identify the chemical which was used for this... sabotage. I think that you would know that we might have a saboteur on board." The Swede's accented speech together with his facial expression shows who worried he is about the matter.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"It's good to have some confirmation, even if the truth hurts," Jack says. "In the meantime, I think some of us had already jumped the gun on--er, come to the conclusion that there was a saboteur. The evidence was purely circumstantial, though; this is a solid lead."

Jack pauses to scratch his head for a moment. "I don't know what the other fellows think, but I think you should go ahead and try to find out what you can about that pipe. Meanwhile, I'd better see if I can find out something from the captain. Anybody got any other--or better--ideas?"
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"It would be great if you could check out what kind of acids there is available on board. Perhaps the saboteur found the tools on board. I do not think he carried it with him. Good luck" Olof says and turns and heads for the laboratory.
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

"Ok, seems we have a plan here" says McRaven.
"Jack can check with the capt, Olof can go check on the chemicals...I guess Sean and myself can go check on the aircraft and fuel...lets say we meet up in the mess before lights out"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

There's about an hour or two left until lights out.

Owner's Suite / SME Expedition Laboratory

There is nobody else current making use of the expedition's makeshift office / laboratory so Olof gets to work immediately, it could be a long night. He is glad to find that Starkweather has managed to stock the lab with everything that he should need tonight.

[OOC: Henrik, please make a chemistry roll of Olof, I'll give a +20% bonus as you are working in a well stocked lab]

The Bridge

Jack finds a weary looking Captain Vredenburg at work on the bridge. The captain looks resigned as he sees Jack enter the bridge, he speaks with more than a hint of irony, "Hello Jack, what can I help you with?"

Main Deck - Above the #2 Hold

Sean and McRaven borrow a flashlight each and head for the number 2 hold, which seems the most logical place to start - the #2 tween deck hold houses Kitt's Boeing aircraft The Shackleton while the #2 lower hold contains both Ralph DeWitt's Fairchild Monoplane RF Scott and the entire supply of fuel for the expedition.

When they arrive they are surprised to see that the small hatch leading down to the Tween Deck is already open. Glancing through the hatch they see that somebody is already using a flashlight down there, inside the Boeing's fuselage.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Captain," Jack says, returning the greeting. "I'm sure you're busy, so I'll keep this short. I'm hoping you can tell me who might have had unquestioned access to the reefer." Hoping to forestall the obvious questions, Jack hastens to add, "I'm not interested in a story or in stirring up trouble. I just want to stay alive long enough to do my job and get back home.

"Is it someone's job to be in charge of it, or can anyone from your crew have access to it? You'll have to forgive my appaling ignroance about naval matters."
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Olof immediately gets to work. An analysis can hopefully be done in this well-stocked laboratory.
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

McRaven, on seeing the torch with the plane, quickly enters and issues a challenge

"Ok who the hell is that down there!"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Steerpike wrote: McRaven, on seeing the torch with the plane, quickly enters and issues a challenge

"Ok who the hell is that down there!"

There is no reply to McRaven's challenge.
Decrepit wrote: "Is it someone's job to be in charge of it, or can anyone from your crew have access to it? You'll have to forgive my appaling ignroance about naval matters."

"Well Jack, there should be only about a half dozen people who have regular access to that hold."

"Lets see, there's Whitney the chief steward , Abraham the cook , the two mess-boys Henning and Scott, and Price the storekeeper. And of course First Officer Turlow periodically checks all of the holds for shifting cargo."

"Mr Turlow took a look at the damaged pipe though, he said it appeared to just be caused by corrosion. An unfortunate incident, but sadly all too common whilst at sea."

OOC: Sorry for not replying sooner, the network went down at work on Friday.
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

McRaven looks over to Sean noddign briefly, then heads in turning his flash light in the direction of the intruder.

"Stop whatever you're doing and come forward right now" he shouts
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by BlackGoat »

Looking to McRaven.

"This may have to get physical, keep your wits about ya"

Adding to his partner's challenge...

"Alright enough of this, if you won't come out We'll just come in after ya"

OOC; Sorry for my absence there, read back up on everything and here I am =)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Kitt storms out, looking extremely irritated. "I am busy, you know? You've made me forget exactly where I've looked at already. I might have to start over to be sure no saboteurs have wrecked my plane!"
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by BlackGoat »

The Adrenaline rush leaving him, he sighs with relief and some embarrassment.

"Forgive us Ma'am , we were actually checking on things to as you appear to be. Making sure no more of the equipment is tampered with. You can hopefully understand our suspicion, what with strange lights and all."
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Steerpike »

Although relieved, he bites back an angry response before answering

"Like Sean said, we're here to check on the equipment, but honestly Miss Kitt, when there is someone who means us harm, you ought not to have come down here on your own"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

"They injured a fridge, not a person," says Kitt. "And if you're that concerned, then stay on guard or come and help me." With that, she goes back to her job before she forgets where she was up to.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Henrik wrote: Olof immediately gets to work. An analysis can hopefully be done in this well-stocked laboratory.

Sorry, real life went crazy after my last post and I never replied to your post.

Olof's analysis of the damaged pipe section establishes that the corrosion was caused by a powerful acid, almost certainly sulphuric acid.

Return to “Previous Chapters”