chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Re: IC: Chapter Four - At Sea

Post by Henrik »

Olof remains hidden but he is trying to get a glance of whatever is happening.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Decrepit »

Jack, noting that Olof is staying put, decides to do the same until the situation is resolved. No need to blunder in to anything delicate.
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

"Well done boy. Now stay calm, lie down on the deck and put your hands on the back of your head please." As an extra incentive Callum pokes Scott in the back, with the barrel of his gun, and urges him down to the floor.

Assuming that some of the other expedition members are within earshot, Callum shouts out for someone to bring some handcuffs or rope to restrain the young 'saboteur'.
OrionUK
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by OrionUK »

James slowly stirs from his sleep & suddenly becomes wide awake, once the knowledge that someone has shouted reaches his senses, he sits up & say's "whats going on?"
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by BlackGoat »

Sean looks at his wrist to check for a time, but realizes he doesn't have a watch. Whats it matter anyway? It's late, and he knows it. The weight of his eyelids attempt to cover his vision in further darkness. However the small chance of an arrival and the adrenaline keep him awake. He let's out a light yawn.

"This, is dreadfully a bore, heh"

"Wonder if the others have come upon the vermin setting us up..."
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

Noticing his companion's yawns Graves whispers, "you get some sleep, I'll wake you if I spot anything."

The Professor had never really expected the saboteur to target the water but wasn't willing to take the chance. Oblivious to the happenings elsewhere on the ship he keeps his eyes peeled for any sign of movement in the darkness.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Jack goes to see whether he can find any rope or other form of restraint.
Mister Juan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Juan »

At the very moment Scott laid down on the floor, Isugtag was on top of him.
Literally.
With one hand, he held his shotgun, barrel pointed off and to the side where it wouldn't hurt anyone if it went off. His other, now free, large paw went behind Scott's neck where it firmly held him down, while one of his knee held him pinned to the floor. The messboy wasn't scrawny par se, but the big Inuit was probably three time his size and strenght.

Helding their captive pinned to the floor Isugtag looked up toward Callum, giving him a respectful nod.
Tonight, they had done a fine job.
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by BlackGoat »

Sean gives a brief smirk. he whispers.

"Thanks Chap, but I think it's best the both of us keep an eye out, I'm not so much tired, almost like I'm hoping something happens so this will all be over.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Jack apparently has little trouble finding rope--rope? on a ship?--and makes a quick presentation of it to the men holding Scott. "Here you go, fellows. I'm going to see about finding Mr. Turlow."

OoC: Jack wheels away and heads off unless someone--besides the prisoner--objects.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Olof smiles although he feels a bit sorry for the poor prisoner for a moment. Those thoughts disappear when he looks at the lifeboat. If this is indeed the saboteur they might have saved this expedition from further disaster. He then follows Jack to find Mr. Turlow.
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by BlackGoat »

Sean quirks an ear upward and hears noise coming from the deck.

Something is happening on deck, I say we go check it out Professor...

Sean stands from his seated position.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

By the time Sean and Professor Graves have made their way onto the Boat Deck, Jack and Olof are returning with Mr Turlow. The first officer is absolutely furious to learn that all evidence points to one of his crew being the saboteur, rather than one of the expedition members.

The disgraced Scott will be secured in his quarters until the SS Gabrielle reaches port, after which he will be handed over to the authorities. Unfortunately the Gabrielle has neither a brig, nor any spare cabins at the moment so Turlow assures everyone that one member of crew will guard Scott at all times.

A search of Scott's quarters provides additional evidence that he really is the saboteur, his personal items include: a much-folded copy of Starkweather's original expedition announcement, neatly clipped out of the New York Times; two carefully stoppered glass bottles of clear liquid, one full, the other all but empty, both clearly labelled "Sulphuric Acid - Extremely Poisonous - Do Not Swallow" and a telegram, sent by a Chicago Wire Service, offering Scott $250 for his exclusive eyewitness account of the voyage of the SS Gabrielle.

There is no sign of any powdered strychnine however, and Scott hasn't uttered a single word since his capture, choosing instead to stare sullenly at his captors.

Captain Vredenburg, Starkweather and Professor Moore are soon informed of Scott's capture. Moore and Vredenburg are delighted that the saboteur has been caught at last though the cooperation of Mr Turlow and members of the expedition. Starkweather rages for a while, in his opinion confinement to his quarters is far too lenient on the "Bloody Traitor," and he should be either keelhauled or hung, or at the very least set adrift in a lifeboat.

He soon calms down though, and heartily slaps Callum and Isugtag on their backs, "I knew you chaps had the right stuff, eh!"

"Bloody good show, I suppose hanging is going a little too far, but at least you two chaps put the frighteners on that little bastard!"
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Jack was happy about how things had turned out, but questions were still in his mind. Did Scott use all the strychnine? If not, where was the rest of it? Did he have any helpers or sympathizers on board?. Most serious of all: Why? The fellow was going to get a nice paycheck on top of his pay. Why put the expedition at risk, or even stop it, under those circumstances?. Jack would have much preferred a confession to the stone silence that Scott was offering. In lieu of a reasonable motive and an accounting of all the contaminants, Jack was inclined to keep on edge. But now wasn't the moment to share those thoughts aloud, especially not in front of Scott. If there was someone else helping him, better for Scott to think that everyone believed the sabotage was over. Jack hoped it was, but he was too skeptical to be sure.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Olof is happy that the saboteur is caught and that things might go back to the normal routine. A bit dull perhaps, but Olof wants to take every chance he can to prepare for the ice and cold of Antarctica.
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

Graves agrees with McRaven that Jack and Isugtag would be an ideal choice of 'good cop/bad cop'.

"With my training in psychology and psychoanalysis, I would like to sit quietly in the background during the interrogation to see if I can discover anything further about the prisoner's state of mind and whether he is answering the questions truthfully."
Mister Juan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Juan »

Although he hadn't really spoken to anyone since Scott's capture, Isugtag knew very well that it hadn't put everyone quite at ease. It had affected the crew in general, since the saboteur had turned out to be one of their own, and most of the expedition members still had trouble grasping the “why”. He hadn't quite understood what the search of his cabin had turned up, until Jack had taken his time to explain it to him.

With Lawrence's and the Captain's death back in New York, there was now simply too much in play for him not to get to the bottom of this.

After getting a rather rapid approval from Starkweather, Isugtag had taken Jack aside. In his usual “straight to the point with a few word” english, he suggested that they both go and “interrogate” Scott.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Kitt, confused and a little nervous, starts asking around for Jack - her one calm port in this crazy storm.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Mister Juan wrote:After getting a rather rapid approval from Starkweather, Isugtag had taken Jack aside. In his usual “straight to the point with a few word” english, he suggested that they both go and “interrogate” Scott.
"Me?" Jack says. "Well, I suppose I could help. I've asked some tough questions before, I suppose, but I'm no copper." He takes an appraising look at Isugtag. "But with you around, I suppose Scott will talk if he's going to." He grins.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Captain Vredenburg agrees to one or two of the expedition members interviewing Scott, "Anything to get to the bottom of this mess..." He does however insist that Mr Turlow or one of the officers be present throughout the interview.

Kitt finds Jack chatting with Isugtag and Professor Graves, apparently they are about to go and interrogate Scott.

Return to “Previous Chapters”