chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: IC: Chapter Four - At Sea

Post by Raiko »

Decrepit wrote: "I think we could give the stakeout a night, maybe two," Jack says. "I've been the main one saying that I didn't think our saboteur wanted to kill us, after all. But now I'm not so sure of that; there's no telling when he'll get frustrated enough.

"I'll tell Olof. He and I can watch the lifeboat in shifts for a time. We could bring the other 'watchers' in on this, too, I suppose. Gah, I'm getting paranoid myself."

Turlow laughs, "Personally I'd ask the Eskimo guy and that Scottish climber Callum."

"They're both look like handy guys, and I'd say that if either one were responsible for the sabotage then your whole expedition is doomed anyway."

"It's your call though, you know who to trust better than I do..."
OrionUK wrote: Having been infomed that he is talking to Jack in the radio room he knocks & enters.

"Mr Turlow I wondered if you needed to come & see what we have found in the hold? I see Jack here has found you so presume he has updated you on our findings?"

Mr Turlow regards James with suspicion when he walks in on their conversation, but he nods when he hears what James has to say, "Yeah Jack was just telling me about the radio. I'll come and look."

He accompanies James back to the #3 Hold (OOC: I presume that Jack returns to Olof at this point), when they arrive they learn that both base radios and all four of the smaller trail radios have been similarly sabotaged.

All six radios will require replacement parts in Australia, it is fortunate that the damage was discovered now, as the expedition would be impossible without radio communications.
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

"What's the news on the other searches Mr. Turlow? Anything turned up there?" enquires Callum.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

Olof keeps waiting for Jack or Turlow trying to look inconspicious. He looks around for a good watching place, where one can watch the lifeboat unseen.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Jack returns to Olof. "I talked to Turlow. He's in agreement that we, or soemone, should watch the boat, as that seems a likely place for the saboteur to return. He wants us to hurry it up, though, as he feels the understandable need to talk to the captain about all of this.

"Maybe we should get Callum and Isugtag in on this," Jack says, considering Turlow's words. "I don't really mind telling the others, either, I suppose. I don't think we can afford not to trust any of our own people right now. Besides, those 'supplies' you found are probably too important to the saboteur to leave there permanently. I'd suggest, though, that we work in pairs so that no one is left alone ... just in case."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

#3 Tween Deck Hold - SS Gabrielle
05:00pm - Thursday 28th September 1933

Turlow remains tight lipped, "Not that I'm aware of Callum."

"The food could take days to check fully though. And I expect our friend will wait until night-time before making another move."

OOC: Sorry, you'll have to wait until Jack or Olof explain things.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Seems as a good idea. I have a hard time seeing either Callum or Isutag as saboteurs. They seem to be professionals. Didn't Isutag work for the Canadian Mounties or something similar?"
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Yeah," Jack says. "'course, who knows anything about anybody, really?" He grins a little, making it clear--he hopes--that he was just joshing.

"Let's see about getting the others together and letting them know the circumstances. We need to be ready and to have everyone on the same page, as it were."
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

Graves sits quietly in the darkness keeping a close watch on the water supply, oblivious to the discoveries of his companions.

He had considered taking a flask of coffee with him to keep him warm, but had decided against this fearing the aroma may have alerted the saboteur. Besides, after the sleepless nights of trying to save the injured during The War he now required very little rest to remain alert.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Whenever Jack comes upon a member of the expedition (i.e., the PCs), he passes along this bit of information:

"Well, it seems that Olof found that our missing fuse coils, as well as a set of blasting caps, were in one of the lifeboats. Presumably, our saboteur has been stowing gear in that lifeboat, assuming that no one would disturb it. There was no dynamite.

"However, I'm told the blasting caps are in themselves dangerous, as they could destroy our planes or, worse, ignite our fuel, maybe even sink the ship.

"Mr. Turlow knows about this--we assumed that he would've had better places to hide things were he the saboteur--but the captain doesn't yet. We're going ahead with our vigils, but we--that is, Olof and I--think it'd be a good idea to get Isugtag and Callum to watch this particular lifeboat."
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

"Well! That's quite a find. Those caps are extremely dangerous, even on their own. I'll definately come in on the stake out with you both. Maybe we should see Turlow about getting some of the fire arms out, just in case." says Callum "Lets just hope the dynamite never shows up....."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

That Night...

Frustratingly the night passes without any saboteur falling into one of the traps.

The following day (Friday 29th September, 1933)

During a short chat with Turlow in the morning, the first officer suggests that the same plan be followed for one more night before he goes to the Captain, "Those detonators can't do any harm so long as they're in the lifeboat. Our little friend is sure to go there sooner or later, he's probably being cautious after poisoning the dogs. It's a few days before we can make port after all."

The checking of the number three hold is completed on Friday, it took a full day of backbreaking work, but fortunately nothing else appears to have been sabotaged. Work will begin checking the number one hold tomorrow.

On the Boat Deck - SS Gabrielle
02:14am - Saturday 30th September 1933

Everybody settles into position again on Friday night, nothing happens for hours, the decks are completely deserted except for the occasional crewmember walking about, or smoking a cigarette. None of these nocturnal crew members do anything even remotely suspicious.

Then, in the dead of night as Callum settles down for a short rest and Isugtag watches the lifeboat, a shadowy figure moves stealthily to the boat.

Isugtag nudges Callum to rouse him, and points quietly towards the shadows. The figure looks around for any sign that he is being observed, then reaches for the lifeboat's tarpaulin, switching on a flashlight as he does so.

The sudden flare of illumination from the torch briefly ruins the two investigators' night vision, but after blinking away the afterimage from their eyes, Callum and Isugtag both recognise the face of Adam Scott - the other messboy - as he reaches into the lifeboat.

On the Quarterdeck - SS Gabrielle

From where they crouch on the quarterdeck overlooking the #4 & #5 hold Jack and Olof spot the feint glow of torchlight near to the lifeboats. James and McRaven are asleep under blankets an arms reach away.

On the Forecastle - SS Gabrielle

Professor Graves and Sean couch in the shadows watching the valves of the freshwater tanks, nothing has happened here all night, both are blissfully unaware of events towards the Gabrielle's stern.

Cabin 12 - SS Gabrielle

After another fun evening of cards with Greene and the Sorensen brothers, Miss Kitt Knight lays fast asleep in her bunk, a pulpy romantic novel is on the bed beside her and she dreams happily of long flights over the ice fields of Antarctic, with hunky doctors, rugged explorers, and of course cynical newspaper reporters.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Jack tries quietly to nudge James and McRaven awake. With gestures and looks, Jack tries to suggest to Olof that they take a wait-and-see approach. He fears that any attempt by Olof or him to "help" at this point would do more harm than good, unless it becomes clear that the trap is sprung or the men can't handle it alone.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Olof nods in agreement. His pulse is beginning to speed up. How would have thought that he, a mining engineer on his way on a scientific expedition, would be involved in a cat and mouse game with a suspected saboteur? This is exciting indeed!
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Callum signals to Isugtag, with hand gestures, that they should attempt to surround Scott in a kind of pincer movement. Quietly he moves away, gun in hand (but no round chambered), towards the lurking saboteur....
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Isutag nods in understanding and begins circling Scott's position in the opposite direction, his shotgun readied.

OOC: Ghost / Mr Juan: Please make a sneak test each on invisible castle, your character sheets are here (Callum) and here (Isugtag). I'll roll for Isutag myself if Mr Juan doesn't get chance before I post again tonight. Note that these are opposed roll (countered by Scott's listen skill), so you won't know if you've succeeded until my next post.
Mister Juan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Juan »

As the night has settled down, Isugtag had found himself returning back to his normal self. Although he was far from behind surrounded by some heavy forest canopy, or the icy cold winds of the tundra, behind out under the starts made him feel at ease. He had gotten used to the regular rowing of the boat, and was now quite keen on letting himself being gently rocked back and forth.

The first night had been without any incidents... which was both a good and a bad thing. But Isugtag was a hunter, used to waiting for his prey for days on end. Like a deer to water, the saboteur would come sooner or later.

The Inuit knew he wouldn't have to wait much longer when his trained eyes caught movement on the deck. No one was supposed to be out here... especially not at this hour.

Rising to his feet slowly, Isugtag simply nodded to Callum and began moving toward Scott. He held the shotgun in both hands, it's steel and wooden frame feeling cold.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

02:15am - Saturday 30th September 1933

Callum and Isugtag converge on Scott from two directions at once. On one side Isutag moves with the confidence of an experienced hunter, gliding silently across the Gabrielle's deck, meanwhile Callum cringes at the sounds of his own footsteps, sure that the saboteur will hear his approach. Scott though is so intent on his own clandestine activities that he does not seem to notice and continues to rummage under the lifeboat's tarpaulin.

A moment later, as he turns back from the lifeboat holding the box full of blasting caps, Scott is shocked to find himself facing the levelled firearms of the two explorers. All colour drains from the young man's face; he glances subconsciously down at the box of detonators and then back up at the two men confronting him.

OOC:
Sorry I meant to roll this on invisible castle from home, but forgot to:
Adam Scott - Listen Check - Does he hear Callum or Isugtag? = [90%]
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

"Ok lad. Slowly kneel down, and push those boxes put in front of you. Dont give my friend here a reason to shoot you." threatens Callum "He was only just saying to me, how he's looking forward to doing a spot of hunting again too, so please dont try to run. After all there's nowhere to go on a boat, is there?"
Mister Juan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Juan »

Creeping toward Scott, Isugtag started to slowly feel the thrill of the hunt gain on him. He had hunted, many times, not games, but men; men on the run who believed they could hide out in the wilderness. This hunt was no different from the others; his duty was to protect the members of the expedition. What had been probably intended as nothing more than an honorary title, had now turned into a full fledge job.

As the soft sole of his boots slid along the polished deck, Grey Wolf felt like a mere shadow in the night. Feeling Scott suddently tense up to turn around, he rapidly raised his shotgun toward the messboy's face.

When Callum spoke, Isugtag didn't bat an eye. His whole attention was focused at the end of the barrel. He knew his fellow mountaineer had a much smoother tongue, and so, he simply held his.

Only when Callum mentioned him looking for a bit of sport did Isugtag grunt.
It could have been a muffled laugh thougth...
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

02:15am - Saturday 30th September 1933
Callum wrote: ...so please dont try to run...

Scott seems to be thinking of doing exactly that; his eyes dart furtively from side to side as seeks a means of escape.

The muzzle of Isugtag's shotgun so close to his face is a powerful deterrent though, Scott stares desperately into the Inuit's brown eyes and he does not like what he see's there at all. Unable to hold Isugtag's gaze, Scott's eyes drift across the long scars that mark his face and finally back to the muzzle of the shotgun.

By the time Callum has finished talking Scott has made up his mind, slowly he places the box of blasting caps onto the deck in front of him.

OOC:
Scott's apparent physical stats: STR:12, SIZ:11, DEX:13, APP:10.
(I should have posted these earlier)

Return to “Previous Chapters”