In Character and Out of Character threads for completed
chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

This is effectively the end of Chapter 3. Chapter 4 is much longer covering the voyage as far as the refuelling stopover in Australia. I'll give another day to allow people to reply in chapter 3 before moving on to the new chapter though.

Skill Checks Chapters 1-3 – New York

Here are the ‘skill check’ results for chapters 1-3. I’ll update the character sheets to reflect the skill increases.
Note: Both Pilots were allowed to attempt a pilot skill increase after their time on the new aircraft. Everyone else was allowed an attempt to increase library use skill after their time checking the cargo lists.

In addition everybody can increase 2 skills that haven’t already been increased by these ‘skill checks,’ provided they can justify that skill increasing, ie they must have roleplayed using that skill, even if I didn’t make a roll for them. You can increase a skill that I made a skill check for, but failed to get an increase.
These skills will increase by 1d10 points if they are below 50%, 1d6 points if they are below 75% or 1d4 points if 75% or above. Jack receives 3 discretional increases, rather than 2.

Callum
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 25% (1d100=51)
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Increase to Library Use 25% (1d10=3)

James
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 25% (1d100=15)

McRaven
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Spot Hidden 75%, Mechanical Repair 50%, Pilot 80% (1d100=27, 1d100=3, 1d100=81)
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Increase to Pilot 80% (1d10=9)

Isugtag
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Sneak 35%, Spot Hidden 35%, Library Use 25% (1d100=18, 1d100=85, 1d100=90)
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Increases to Spot Hidden 35%, Library Use 25% (1d10=3, 1d10=6)

Jack
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Psychology 76%, Persuade 55%, Library Use 60%, Fast Talk 70% (1d100=92, 1d100=19, 1d100=31, 1d100=8)
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Increase to Psychology 76% (1d10=9)

Kitt
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Pilot 81% (1d100=48)

Sean
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 25% (1d100=10)

Prof Graves
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 60%, Credit Rating 80% (1d100=34, 1d100=2)

Maurice
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 25% (1d100=11)

Olof
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 38% (1d100=14)

One more thing:

For anyone who is interested I've put up a google earth file that will be updated continually to track the expeditions progress.

The URL is: http://www.cthulhu1933.co.uk/files/Star ... dition.kmz

You may need the latest version of Google earth installed for the file to work, I'm not sure.

I will update the file everytime I post a new ship's position, so you'll need to keep downloading the file, but it's only 1KB at the moment. The first update for chapter 4 is already included.

The Gabrielle will head due South to Cuba, then around the South-Eastern corner into the Carribean Sea and onto Panama. Once the Canal has been transitted the next stop will be Melborne in Austrailia. After a refuelling stop-over there it's onto the Ross Sea.
Mister Juan
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Mister Juan »

It's probably just me being retarded... but I was just wondering if I got everything all good: Isugtag got his Spot Hidden and Library Use skill increased?
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Mister Juan wrote: It's probably just me being retarded... but I was just wondering if I got everything all good: Isugtag got his Spot Hidden and Library Use skill increased?

Yes, sorry I forgot that not all of you have played CoC before. Rather than using a points based experience system CoC allows you to try to increase skills that you successfully used during the game by making a 'skill check' roll that has to exceed the existing skill level. If successful the skill goes up by 1d10.

So Isugtag's Spot Hidden increased by 3, and his Library Use by 6.

You can use the 'discretionary increases' on any skills you can justify having used in the game (regardless of whether I actually rolled against them), except for Spot Hidden and Library Use, as they've already increased in this section of the game.

I'll be updating the character sheets at lunchtime today, and I'll change them again as each player picks the other skills they'd like to increase.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Henrik »

Since Olof has spent a lot of time with studying the Pabodie drill, perhaps an increase in Operate Heavy Machinery is suitable? His English skill might have improved as well, since there are so many educated speakers around him.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Listen because she had to have conversations at loud jazz clubs.

Mechanical Repair or Spot Hidden because she hung out with mechanics checking out the planes at one point.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

Maurice is boosting Hide 1% and Opr. Hvy. Equ 1%
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Ok I think the character sheets are up to date, prior to the ‘discretionary increases.’
Henrik wrote: Since Olof has spent a lot of time with studying the Pabodie drill, perhaps an increase in Operate Heavy Machinery is suitable? His English skill might have improved as well, since there are so many educated speakers around him.

Those are fine. :)

Laraqua wrote: Listen because she had to have conversations at loud jazz clubs.

Mechanical Repair or Spot Hidden because she hung out with mechanics checking out the planes at one point.

I’m fine with those, but remember that there is a special ‘aircraft maintenance’ skill for this campaign, that Kitt already has at a higher level than her Mechanical Repair.

I’m happy for you to increase either Mech Repair, Aircraft Maintenance or Spot Hidden though.
thewhatchamacallit wrote: Maurice is boosting Hide 1% and Opr. Hvy. Equ 1%

I’m fine with those (I presume you’d justify the Hide increase as Maurice felt ‘invisible’ earlier ;)).

You’ve wrote 1% next to each increase, does that mean you’ve already rolled?
Otherwise you get +1d6 Operate Heavy Machinery and +1d4 Hide

I'll try to make a few posts over the weekend, to get us moving along again.

Hopefully I can stop saying "I'm sorry" every other post in Chapter 4. ;)

BTW: Please could the first person who tries the google earth file let me know whether it works or not. If it doesn't, make sure you have the latest google earth version first though.

Thanks. :)
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Unfortunately, there's no skill called Romance, as Jack would be getting a 1d10 increase in that ...

Anyway, next best things.
Persuade (+1d6): +4
Fast Talk (+1d6):+6
History (+1d6): +3
(I didn't roll for History, but he did pick up some things about the previous expedition.)

866142 [MOM] 3 1d6 [4] = (4)
[6] = (6)
[3] = (3) Ch. 3 discretionary skill increases for Persuade (55%), Fast Talk (70%), History (60%) 2007-02-09 06:51:25
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=866142
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Just a note:

I've learned that for some reason, if you download my google earth file using Internet Explorer it thinks the file is a zip archive, when it is in fact clearly a .kmz google earth file.

I don't really know why, but it happens with both IE6 & IE7. If you change the file extension back to .kmz after downloading it will work correctly. I'll try to find out why this happens (does anyone here know?)

Firefox doesn't have this problem, and presumably other decent browsers (eg Opera) won't either. Personally I think everyone should stop using IE, but I'll try to fix the problem anyway.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Decrepit wrote: Unfortunately, there's no skill called Romance, as Jack would be getting a 1d10 increase in that ...

Since when? Not like he's been getting anywhere! Or has he? :P

Poor Kitt. The only woman with a boat load of men for months at sea. Is she gonna get hassled or what? :wink:
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I think I've fixed the Google Earth / Internet Explorer problem. Please could somebody who uses both programs check the file for me again, all versions of IE should now recognise it as a google earth file.

If was a problem with how Internet Explorer handles unknown file types (it guesses instead of checking the windows settings), but there was a server side file I changed that fixes the problem.

The file's URL again is:
http://cthulhu1933.co.uk/files/Starkwea ... dition.kmz

As for Jack, there may not be a romance skill, but hanging around Starkweather has done wonders for his Psychology skill! :lol:

BTW: Everybody's skill choices are fine so far, but Laraqua you haven't said whether you prefer Aircraft Maintenance / Mechanical Repair / Spot Hidden for Kitt's second skill.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Henrik »

Rolled for my chosen skills. Got 4 percentiles increase in Operate Heavy Machinery and 6 percentiles in English. Increases in Operate Heavy Machinery and English (1d6=4, 1d6=6)
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Laraqua wrote: Since when? Not like he's been getting anywhere! Or has he? :P

I meant his skill was so low that he'd qualify for the 1d10 increase. But, yes, you're right, there's no plausible RP reason to assume that he'd employed such a skill, let alone successfully. :D
Poor Kitt. The only woman with a boat load of men for months at sea. Is she gonna get hassled or what? :wink:

Nah, not with all these gentlemanly sailors around.
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

As Graves has been doing much reading on Polar survival and medicine he will increase both skills. Can you also add the word 'history' to his Art-painting skill as he knows about paintings but cannot do them himself.

Will you roll for Charle's increases and post back what the results were and I'll the change the hard-copy character sheet I have for him.
Mister Juan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Juan »

Since Isugtag did some sneaking around with McRaven, and spent pretty much every single day in silence, simply watching and listening to everyone around him... I'll improve Sneak and Listen ;)

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=870107
So thats +7 to sneak and +8 to Listen
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Callum spent a lot of time helping to load equipment onto the ship, and keeping watch over the warehouse, so I was thinking of improving Operate Heavy Machinery and Listen, if thats ok.

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=871345
OrionUK
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by OrionUK »

I think James, having spent so much time watching the warehouse etc, would have used Listen and Spot Hidden quite a bit. So I would like to improve those please.

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=871443

Return to “Previous Chapters”