In Character and Out of Character threads for completed
chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

"If we should begin by concentrating on what we know about the demise of Commander Douglas. He seemed to have contacted a lawyer by the name of Blackman prior to his death. Why? To make changes in his will? We need to know why he phoned Blackman. What else do we know about Commander Douglas?" Olof begins.
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Charles Graves »

Graves folds his newspaper and puts it on a table in front of him, smiling heartily.

"No Jack I think you misunderstood me, I'm not suggesting we put up wanted posters for Dyer. I just think it would be prudent for the entire crew to know what he looks like. I'm not accusing anyone of anything but as someone has threatened the lives of the members of the expedition it would be foolish to allow an attack on an unsuspecting member of the party if it could possibly be avoided."
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Sounds like I did misunderstand," Jack says, grinning. "What you're saying makes sense to me.

"I should go call Douglas's brother, as I planned on doing. Maybe our fellows at the Purple Cup will turn up something too."
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by BlackGoat »

Merely listening intently to the conversation, Sean seems calmed by the entire encounter. Hearing Moore explain it away cradles Sean's own fears of a deeper plot from him. He then also considers that if could be their competition trying to spook them away.

Sean let's out a sigh and thinks to himself...

I can't wait until Saturday finally comes and we're out to sea, the threats will stop and all this tension will be alleviated

Sean starts to attribute his nervousness to his long period of time "off" the job.
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Taking a large mouthful of beer, Callum goes over to the sailor as well "Good evening Sir. You need a top up?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Purple Cup
7:05pm – Wednesday 6th September 1933

The old sailor laughs, “I wouldn’t say no to that sonny.”

“Take a seat boys, I saw your Commander Douglas last night.”

The Rose Room – Amherst Hotel, New York

Moore nods, “I think you are both right. We should be vigilant, in case William makes an appearance.”

“I know that the commanders’ brother will be in town on Friday, for the funeral. Mister Starkweather and me will be there, I’m sure it would be welcomed if some other expedition members attended.”
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Kitt nods. "I would like to go."
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

questions

Post by Steerpike »

Mcraven nods at Callum "Get this gentleman a drink please"
As he waits for Callum to get a drink for the old sailor, Mcraven takes a taste of his own beer and sits at the table.
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

"Good to meet you. Oh good to meet you," says Maurice sarcastically while shaking his hands together in a mock greeting. The people upstairs had been as cold and indifferent as he'd feared they'd be, while he might have been popular back home, in the big wide world of the English one Frenchman didn't mean a thing.

Stomping out his cigarette Maurice looked about the town and pulled his jacket tighter. Surely there must have been something for him to do rather than return to his room and be bored crazy.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Well, I could go, too," Jack says, "but by Friday it may be too late to follow up on anything important. I'm inclined to call him today."
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Callum goes to the bar and purchases a bottle of whatever the old sailor is drinking. Returning to the table, he takes his seat and hands over the bottle "Should keep you going for a while."
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Professor,," Jack says, "do you happen to know where the Commander's brother lives? I thought I had his number, but now I'm remembering I don't. I don't know whether he'd talk to me, but I still think waiting till the funeral is too long."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Rose Room – Amherst Hotel, New York

Moore shakes his head, "No I'm afraid I haven't ever spoken to either Commander Douglas or his brother myself."

"Mr Starkweather had spoken to the commander, but I doubt whether he'd have his brothers number."
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Well, thanks anyway, Professor," Jack says.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

"I'm going to visit Blackman tomorrow. Anyone who wants to join me? I think it can be important."
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

Q & A

Post by Steerpike »

McRaven waits for the old sailor to take his first swig from the bottle before he speaks.

"So, you said you saw Douglas in here last night? Did he meet someone here...were they...hmm...local?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Purple Cup – Lower East Side, New York
7 to 8pm – Wednesday 6th September 1933

McRaven and Callum learn that the old sea dog, who goes by the name Orry Wheaton, was sitting with some pals one table away from JB Douglas the night before.

He remembers that Douglas met with three other men, one of whom was definitely called Grimes, none of the four were regulars in the Purple Cup, but all were obviously sailors. Wheaton didn’t overhear much of what was said at the other table, but he remembers hearing the names Starkweather and Lexington several times, he remembers those names and knew Douglas, because of the extensive press coverage of both expeditions.

The four men were deep in conversation for a long time, they appeared to all friendly towards each other, and Wheaton thinks that Douglas left alone at the end of the night.

The Amherst Hotel
8:30pm – Wednesday 6th September 1933

Jack manages to get a phone number for Phillip Douglas, a farmer from upstate New York. Unfortunately though the phone is answered by one of Phillip’s farmhands, who says that «Mr Douglas has gone to the city to identify his brother’s body, he won’t be back till after the funeral.»
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Well, that scotches that, Jack thinks as he hangs up. In all likelihood, Phillip wasn't going to know anything of value anyway. Might as well leave things be till the day of the funeral on that count.

It would be back to the police tomorrow. Jack hoped that someone, somewhere was findi8ng something useful.
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

"Good idea Mr Eriksson, I too think that Mr Blackman knows something that would interest us. Mind if I tag along with you tomorrow?"
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Callum picks up the bottle and refills the sailors shot glass. "Thanks for the info Orry. Did you notice any one else hanging around? Or anything that seemed peculiar at the time?"

Return to “Previous Chapters”