Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Pier 74 – New York Docks, Hudson River
The Afternoon – Thursday 7th September, 1933

Captain Vredenburg shakes each man’s hand again before they leave, “It’s good to have met you both, now I must spend as much time getting to know my crew as possible. Good day.”

Cargo loading operations continue throughout the afternoon and evening without any hitch. By the time darkness falls, all the fuel drums have been loaded into the #2 Lower Hold and securely dunnaged. Each of the three layers of 55 gallon tanks are separated by a layer of 1” x 6” dunnage boards, with an additional layer of boards placed on top.

Work then begins to load the expedition’s Fairchild monoplane R.F. Scott aboard, atop the dunnaged drums. McRaven, Kitt and the other two aviators are joined by the engineers Miles and Huston as they watch the aeroplane being slowly hoisted into the air from its flatbed railroad truck.

Earlier in the afternoon they had examined the monoplane, and the three larger Boeings, aboard their trucks, and were satisfied that no sabotage had occurred.

Tomorrow the three Boeings will be loaded abroad the Gabrielle, first the Weddell , and the Enderby would be loaded into the #4 Lower and Tween-deck holds respectively, finally in the evening the Shackleton and the two spare Wasp radial engines will be loaded into the #2 tween deck hold.

During the night...

As part of the newly increased security, Moore assigns a separate night watchman to guard each Boeing during the night. They are armed only with a billy-club and whistle, but it’s better than nothing.

James, Callum, McRaven and the Sorensen brothers again spend the night watching over the warehouse and the pier, but again nothing of note occurs. The whole area is brightly floodlit and noisy throughout the night, as the process of pumping oil into the Gabrielle’s fuel tanks begins. All five are tired by time dawn breaks, as sleeping was almost impossible on the noisy pier, whilst not on watch.

Amherst Hotel – New York
08:30am – Friday 8th September, 1933

Those explorers who remained at the Amherst Hotel have a much quieter night, and sleep well. The morning newspapers all carry the story of Starkweather’s announcement that a new sea captain has been found for the expedition, although only Jack’s Daily News had the chance to actually interview Captain Vredenburg.

After his usual morning briefing about the current status of the expedition preparations Moore again mentions the funeral of Commander Douglas, “Captain Starkweather and myself will both be attending, and I know that a few of you have kindly offered to show your respects. The funeral will be held at St Brigit Cemetery at 11:30 this morning.”
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Decrepit »

Upon meeting his hotel-dwelling colleagues in the morning, Jack scratches his head and says, "Well, Kitt and I have been going through the police file on the Lexington case. Not much here really--more questions than answers.

"The police's theory is that Percival Lexington killed himself and that he did so owing to bad company finances. He apparently had a visitor the night he died, but no one knows who it was; still, the cops think it was suicide.

"Something doesn't add up, though. Like I said, the cops think it was because Percival was going bankrupt, but it seems like selling that Poe manuscript would've gone a long way toward putting him in the black. If that's so, why kill himself over it? Why not just sell the manuscript?"

Jack looks around. "Like everything else around here, lots of questions, no answers."
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Henrik »

"Perhaps he collected books? My father collects stamps and he wouldn't part with them for anything in the world." Olof chuckles. "But well, as far as I know my father's stamp collection is worthless. Does anyone know how much that Poe book is worth? Perhaps Lexington's debts were too large for him to pay?"
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Maybe," Jack replies, "but it doesn't seem like you kill yourself when things look to be turning around. And then there's that mysterious visitor no one seems to know anything about. And the manuscript suddenly going missing and some fishy story about it being 'here somewhere.' It doesn't add up.

"But what do I know about suicides? I've been married and divorced twice. If I were going to end it all, I'd've done it long ago."
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Callum stretches out another long yawn, and pours out his third coffee of the morning. "Does anyone have any plans today? How about you Nils?"

"I cant wait to get this show on the road. I need to get climbing again soon."
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"The problem is that we don't have the time to speak with the Lexington woman. She seems to know more than she has told anyone. When does the funeral start? I need to get ready. I don't think I packed a black suit, but then I wasn't expecting to visit funerals as a part of an Antarctic expedition." Olof chuckles again.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"We could try to talk to her after the funeral," Jack says.
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

Entering the room holding a saucer in his left hand and sipping tea from a small cup held in his right, Graves looks up at the mention of Lexington.

"I've just asked at the reception desk and got the address of a place I'll be able to hire a suit that I can wear to the funeral. It'll need returning so if anyone would like to ask Ms Lexington anything they can use the excuse of returning it to get away."
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Well, I could do it," Jack says. "I could use my job as a cover, if you will, although she surely knows that I'm working for the 'enemy.'"
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

"Perhaps I could talk to her," says Kitt, at first quietly, then repeating herself louder. "I may be the 'enemy' but I'm sure she might be amused by the chance to talk to me in particular, considering, as it were, that we are apparently both rushing toward the same goal for the same purpose."
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Rose Room – Amherst Hotel, New York
09:10am – Friday 8th September, 1933
Henrik wrote: I don't think I packed a black suit, but then I wasn't expecting to visit funerals as a part of an Antarctic expedition." Olof chuckles again.

The expedition’s new doctor Richard Greene crosses to the group as Olof is speaking, he is a young athletic looking man, standing a little under six feet in height.

“Hi I’m Richard Greene, I’ll be working with Professor Graves to keep you guys healthy. I’ve met the Professor already, and Moore of course, but I only arrived here yesterday evening so I thought I’d better introduce myself.”

After shaking everyone’s hands Greene turns to Olof, “I’ve got a spare black suit that would probably fit you if you’d like to borrow it?”

“I wish I was joining you guys at a happier time, but I thought I’d join you at the funeral.”

Dr Richard Greene

09:10am – Friday 8th September, 1933
Ghost_1971 wrote: Callum stretches out another long yawn, and pours out his third coffee of the morning. "Does anyone have any plans today? How about you Nils?"

"I cant wait to get this show on the road. I need to get climbing again soon."

Nils nods, “Yes, it will be good to climb again.” Walking away he says simply, “I shall check the gear again.”

As his older brother leaves Gunnar laughs and says, “On the ice he will speak even less!” In a comedy imitation of Nils he says, “You are a fool... you will die.”
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Good evening, Doctor Greene," says Kitt, blushing a little. She managed to keep hold of her dignity by reaching out and shaking his hand briskly, just as she would have done had she been back home. It was far easier to do there, though. There hadn't been any men as handsome as this one back there. "I-I'm glad to have you overboard. Sit down and join us."

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Oh, I'm most greatful Dr. Greene. You're saving me a lot of trouble." Edward looks a bit amused at Ms. Kitt's reaction when the handsome doctor enters.

"Nothing sways a girl like a handsome physician. Why are we engineer considered so unattractive?"
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

For some reason, Jack glares at the new doctor for a moment, then forces his face into its more typical smirk and his attitude into something like bonhomie.

"Good to meet you, Doctor," he says, shaking the man's hand. "Going the way this expedition has so far, we'll need all the help we can get with staying alive."
Mister Juan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Juan »

Like every single morning since he had arrived to New York, Isugtag was seated in one of the corner of the Rose Room, reading the morning’s newspaper and smoking his wood carved pipe. While out in the wilds of Yukon, the Inuit always had very little contact with the outside “civilized” world. His grasp of the modern Yankee society lacking in many parts, he had seen in as wise to instruct himself in their ways and world. And so, every morning, like clockwork, he would attempt to read the paper, cover to cover… even though he sometimes struggled with his English.

Also as usual, the strong man was keeping to himself, quiet through most discussions and sometime silent for entire days. Even more so since Douglas’ death had been announced. It was obvious that Grey Wolf saw the commander’s murder as his own failure to act.

This morning, Isugtag appeared slightly different from his usual self. He was still quiet and reserved, cocooned up in his own shell. But above all, he seemed tired. Dark bags had started to draw themselves under his eyes, and his usually keen eyes looked distracted. His gaze kept drifting off from his newspaper and out towards the windows… where he would just stare in space… as if looking at something only he could see.

When Greene entered the room, Isugtag snapped back to reality. As the young physician introduced himself, the tall Inuit simply bowed his head toward him, greeting him without getting up from his seat.
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

Graves finishes his tea and heads off to pick up his suit.

"I'll be back before you all set off for the funeral. Dr Greene, would you care to join me to discuss the medical plans for the trip? You can also pick up the suit for Mr Eriksson."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"If there's no disagreements, I think I might see if I could arrange, perhaps, for a conversation between myself and Lexington, since we are completing a similar trial," Kitt says, then smiles. "At the very least, she might relish the chance to call me a fool and try to convince me not to go, to ensure that she will get there first."

"Perhaps it would be even more interesting to her if Jack were to come with me. That should surely be interesting press for both of our expeditions. Two potential first women to set foot over there, potentially getting into a terrific fight... Oh, I don't know. I suppose it sounds rather silly. This is all so complicated. Things were much simpler when I merely focused on being an aviator."

Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Rose Room – Amherst Hotel, New York
09:15am – Friday 8th September, 1933

Greene flashes a quick smile at Kitt before following Professor Graves towards the stairs, “See you later guys, Olof you may as well come up for the suit.”

St Brigit Cemetery – Lower Manhattan, New York
11:30am – Friday 8th September, 1933
Characters Present: Jack, Kitt, Graves, Olof, Isugtag, Maurice, Starkweather, Moore

St Brigit Cemetery is a small cemetery located near to the middle of lower Manhattan, a peaceful clearing in the middle of the urban jungle. The memorial ceremony for Commander Douglas is brief and sparsely attended. Along with Starkweather, Moore, and the investigators are Philip Douglas (the Commander’s brother), Gerald Brackman, two older men with the look of the sea about them, and a journalist Jack recognises as Gary Hawkes of the New York Post. Hawkes nods to Jack when he spots him.

Detective Hansen also attends, watching the proceedings from a discrete distance, his face impassive.

The pastor reads a tribute to Commander Douglas that lists his accomplishments as a man of the sea, and then short prayer. Philip Douglas shakes hands with the pastor, exchanges a few words with him and with Mr. Brackman, and gets ready to leave. Both Starkweather and Moore make their way across to Phillip to offer their condolences.

12:10pm – Friday 8th September, 1933
Characters Present: James, Callum, McRaven, Sean, the Sorenson Brothers.

The investigators are working in the semi darkness of the #3 Tween-deck hold, which has now been closed ready for the voyage and is illuminated only by temporary cluster lights slung from the twelve foot high ceiling.

The boredom of rechecking the contents of the hold again, lest any last minute mistakes have been made is interrupted by Gunnar Sorenson shouting down through the open ceiling hatch,

“Guys, guys, come quickly! You must see this!”
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

welcome interlude

Post by Steerpike »

McRaven felt like he was slipping into a daze, the endless lists, the reptitive scanning of hold contents, it all seemed to be blurring together.
The old soldiers phrase of "hurry up and wait" never seemed to apt. And there was the tension, building up like a stormfront waiting to break...it was getting intolerable.

Then came the shout through the hatch. McRaven looked up from yet another crate of supplies to see the exited face of one the sorenson brothers...Gunnat.

The pilot moved quickly to the ladders and started on his way up. Any opportunity to break the tedium was welcome.

"Whats up Gunnar? What have you found?"
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Callum makes his way through the storage hold, to see what Gunnar has found.

"Nothing bad I hope Gunnar?"

Return to “Previous Chapters”