Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

The Purple Cup – Lower East Side Dock, New York
8:00pm – Wednesday 6th September 1933

“Haha! There’s always peculiar characters in here lad, but no I didn’t notice anything unusual. I was as surprised as anyone to learn of the murder.”

Callum and McRaven stay a while longer, but don’t learn anything else from the Purple Cup patrons.

[OOC: I’ve cut this short as there really isn’t anything else to learn. I really didn’t want to leave you both trying to ‘find the right question’]

Pier 74 – New York Docks, Hudson River
During the Night – Wednesday 6th September 1933
Characters Present:Gunnar, Nils, Callum, James, McRaven

The five explorers sleep in shifts, ensuring that there are always at least two of them awake, but the night passes without incident. Only the night watchman and the occasional rat move about the warehouse or the pier.

Tomorrow night will be different, 24 hour operations will resume in the morning, after the day of relative inactivity following Commander Douglas’ death.

Amherst Hotel – New York
08:30am – Thursday 7th September 1933
Characters Present:Graves, Jack, Olof, Isugtag, Kitt, Maurice, all other Expedition Members.

Those expedition members who remain at the Amherst descend to the Rose Room in the morning after what was a restful night for most. Starkweather isn’t present at breakfast again, but Professor Moore is and the day begins with another of his rather long and dry briefings (summarised below).

“Ok gentlemen, yesterday was, to be frank, a complete disaster. As well as tragically loosing a very experienced sea captain, we have also lost a full day of preparation. And yet our objective must remain the same, we depart on the 9th, and so I insist that everyone, and that really does mean everyone, must be at the pier today to help load the ship and check to lists.”

“The aircraft will arrive on the pier this morning, and so the aviation team will obviously be required to give them a once over before they are loaded. The fuel will also start arriving, so please take care everyone.”

“Most importantly of all, the full inventory of cold weather clothing has now arrived. So you must each meet with Mr Sykes in the Gabrielle’s mess for final fittings. This is most important, in a few weeks your very survival will depend on that clothing.”

“On a sadder note, the funeral of Commander Douglas will be held tomorrow morning, the Mr Starkweather and I will be attending, and Miss Knight has also said that she will join us, but I’d like a few more of you there. It is only right that our expedition should pay this man the respect that deserves.”

When he has finished addressing the assembled explorers Moore asks for a quiet word with Jack, in the corner.

“Ah Mr Wilson, erm Jack. Mr Starkweather asked me to let you know that our replacement Captain has been appointed, he will be onboard the Gabrielle this afternoon, and Mr Starkweather would like you to have the chance to chat with him before the appointment is announced to the rest of the press this evening.”
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Decrepit »

"That was most considerate of Mr. Starkweather," Jack says with only the slightest hint of sarcasm leaking through (he hopes). "I'll be most interested to talk with him.

"I understand that I need that fitting, and I won't miss that or the meeting you mentioned. But based on our conversation last night, I think both you and I recognize the need for me to speak to the police about the matter of the letter involving Kitt. I'd like to take care of this business this morning so that I can be back on board for the meeting with the new captain and for the fitting.

"Oh, and I was assuming you knew that I would be interested in attending the funeral."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Amherst Hotel – New York
9:00am – Thursday 7th September 1933

“Oh,” Moore looks a little surprised; after a moment his frown vanishes and he says, “I had thought that you would have taken the note last night.”

“Well no matter, I’ll expect you back on the ship well before lunch. Sykes has a lot to do, so he can’t afford to spend any extra time on the fittings.”

“I expect you’ll need Miss Knight to accompany you to the police, see that you both return in plenty of time.”
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Understood," jack says. "I would've gone last night but for some other business."
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Henrik »

When Moore mentions that everyone will be needed at the docks today, Olof leans over to Dr. Graves and says: "I don't think we'll be allowed to visit Brackman. Somehow I don't think that the private investigation of an 'unrelated' murder is a prioritized matter."

When it becomes clear that Jack and Ms. Kitt have got permission to leave, Olof asks Jack the following: "If you got the time do you think you and Ms. Kitt perhaps could pay Mr. Brackman a visit?" The Swedish engineer smiles wickedly. "And I guess Moore does not need to know about that if you got the time?"
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Hmm," Jack says. "I guess we could. I didn't find out much about him myself other than what I think you found--that he's a small-time lawyer. I'd rather we knew what his connection with Douglas was other than the fact that the dearly departed had written the fellow's number down, but maybe a 'surprise visit' will shake something loose."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Kitt just nods, and makes up her mind to keep her Luger on hand, just in case something untoward happens while they investigate. She's been feeling far more nervous about things as each day passes. Leaving the shore will be almost a relief.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Henrik »

"Thanks, appreciate it. It seems time is running out. We're going to depart to Antarctica whether we solve these mysteries or not, Jack. I'd prefer to have as much information as possible on hand. There is still time to pull out from this venture, although I might regret doing so and I would like to make a well-grounded decision, not just an educated guess."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Rose Room – The Amherst Hotel, New York
9:15am – Thursday 7th September 1933

As everybody prepares to leave the Rose Room, Professor Moore calls out, “Oh yes, one more thing!”

“Due to the obvious security worries with everything that has happened, we’ve decided to increase security at both the hotel and the docks. We ask for your cooperation please.”

“There is now a logbook at the hotel reception desk, please could everybody sign in, and out whenever they enter or leave the hotel from now on.”

“You will also now be asked to sign in and out at the pier, everyone will be issued with a ‘dock pass’ when they sign in. Anyone seen without a visible pass will be stopped by the watchmen and brought to me or Mr Starkweather. There will be some additional watchmen at the pier at times as well now.”

Moore pauses to push his spectacles back up his nose, “I ask you to only leave the hotel or docks when absolutely necessary until the expedition preparations have been completed. Hopefully these additional measures will help to ensure everybody’s safety, and prevent and further breaches of the docks security.”

NYPD Headquarters – Centre Street, New York
09:45am – Thursday 7th September 1933
Characters Present: Jack, Kitt

O’Meara is expecting Jack and hands over a large brown folder when he and Kitt arrive, “Hi Jack, and hello to the famous Miss Knight I presume. This is everything that I’ve got regarding the suicide of Percival Lexington, and the alleged theft. There isn’t all that much I’m afraid, a bit of an open and shut case, but the autopsy report is in there too.”

He looks seriously at Jack, “It goes without saying that it would be very bad for you if any of this appears in your newspaper, but I’ve got to admit that I’m curious to learn whether you can find a link between this stuff and current events.”

Pier 74 – New York Docks, Hudson River
Characters Present: Everyone Else

The rest of the expedition member begin to arrive at the docks, as usual there is a small crowd of journalist waiting outside the gates.

Each team member is signed in and issued with a ‘docks pass,’ then directed back onboard the Gabrielle to the same room that Sykes made his initial measurements a few days before. A large queue of explorers soon forms.

The five explorers who spent the night watching over the warehouse and the ship, are also told of the new security arrangements and issued with passes. Nils volunteers to keep watch over the warehouse until one of the others relieves him, so the other four get themselves at the front of the queue for the fittings.

[OOC: If Callum, McRaven or James want they can stay with Nils, I’ll edit my post if necessary. Gunnar agrees with his brother’s plan]
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Thank you," Jack says as he takes the file from O'Meara. "Right now, I'm more interested in saving our necks than in getting a 'scoop.' I know you're taking a risk in trusting me with this, so I'll return the favor by keeping all this on the Q.T."

Less jocularly, Jack continues, "There is ... another matter. I'm sure you either know or guess that an expedition like ours tends to attract ... fringe elements. Most of this can rightly be ignored, but Miss Knight here is the recipient of a particularly pointed threatening letter." Jack hands over the letter to O'Meara, glancing first at Kitt. Jack hopes he's doing the right thing, getting the police involved in this. It wasn't his M.O. to be "cooperative" with the coppers, but they had resources that he didn't, including time and manpower, and if it kept Kitt alive and unharmed, it was worth it. Besides, he'd had a pretty good feeling about O'Meara, and he usually went with his gut on things like this.

Jack absently thumbs O'Meara's file while waiting for the other man to finish the letter.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Kitt sighs. "I don't really believe they meant any harm by it. From what I've heard, lots of celebrities get mail like this. It doesn't necessarily mean much at all."

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Maybe not," Jack says, "but it's better to be safe, I think, especially given the other things that've gone on. Not that I don't think you can take care of yourself, but it's best to be cautious, at least until we get away from the city."
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Callum decides to stay on the docks with Nils, and help out with the days activities there.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

NYPD Headquarters – Centre Street, New York

O’Meara reads the note, “Well it could just be from some crazy guy, but I’ll pass it on to Hansen, it mentions Commander Douglas’ murder so it’s certainly worthy an investigation.”

“Anything else Jack

A quick flick through the file tells Jack that he’ll need to sit down for a while to read through everything. He’ll have time to quickly assess the information in the taxi, on the way to Brackman’s offices and the docks, but a proper read would take a couple of hours at least. From what Moore had said, it seems unlikely that he’ll get that time before tonight.
Last edited by Raiko on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Jack has been weighing in his mind whether to tell O'Meara or Hansen about Moore's suspicions about Dyer, or about the plan to visit Brackman. But he ultimately decides that he doesn't really know anything yet, not enough to help anyway, and that warning the police about threats against Kitt and the others would be enough.

He hoped he wasn't wrong.

"No," Jack says finally. "If I think of something, I'll let you know. I'll return this file in good order." He gets up to leave.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"I'll help you read through that," Kitt offers, murmuring in Jack's ear. "That is, if you think it will help."

Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Oh, absolutely," Jack says. "Looks like there's actually a fair bit here. I don't figure that we'll get all the way through it now, but this afternoon promises to be quite busy. We can take a look while we head over to Brackman's office.

"Speaking of which, I'm inclined to go in to see Brackman pretending I know just a bit more than I do, as if I knew why Douglas had been in touch, or had tried to be anyway. That might open him up just a bit. Of course, if he calls my bluff, we're in for a spot of trouble, perhaps." Jack glances toward Kitt questioningly, looking for a reaction to the idea, apparently.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"Well, exactly what do you think might happen if he does call your bluff?" Kitt asks. "If it'll merely be embarressing, well, we'll be leaving soon anyway."

Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Brackman and Associates – 8th Avenue & 91st Street, New York
10:20am – Thursday 7th September 1933

The taxi ride from the police headquarters to Gerald Brackman’s offices is a long one, half the length of Manhattan, and there is a danger that it was for nothing. As Kitt and Jack enter the small, but plush offices of Brackman and Associates, well situated facing the middle of Central Park, they are ‘greeted’ by Brackman’s stern faced, middle aged receptionist. She shakes her head slowly, like an old school-marm, as she explains slowly, “Mr Brackman is a very busy man, you really should have made an appointment.”

She glances at Brackman’s appointments book, “Mr Brackman is busy all today, and he will be attending a client’s funeral tomorrow I’m afraid.”

Looking back up from the book, she smiles without the slightest hint of warmth and says, “He’s free on Monday morning, I could fit you in around 9:30 if you like?” Taking out a pen, she looks at Jack expectantly, “Mister…?”
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Wilson," Jack replies. He wonders briefly whether he should've come up with a fake name to give to her, but he decides that, for one thing, he wasn't all that good a liar (a bluffer, maybe, but not a liar) and, for another thing, assuming Blackman was coming to the same funeral Jack was, the truth would come out eventually.

"I think Mr. Brackman is going to want to see me. My visit is in regards to the client you just mentioned." Jack tries but fails to inject much of a sense of urgency and authority into his voice.

Return to “Previous Chapters”