Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Starkweather Interviews and Press Conferences

Post by Raiko »

[OOC: These two posts are copies of those lost to the server problem]

The Washington Room – Amherst Hotel, New York
09:00am, Sunday 3rd September 1933

Starkweather dashes over, offering his hand, as Jack steps into the Washington Room, “Excellent Jack, so glad you could make it!”

“Take a seat at the front, the others won’t be arriving for a few more minutes at least, and you must be bursting with questions.”

“I must say, I’m delighted to have acquired the services of Commander Douglas, a real coup for our expedition! Don’t you agree?”
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

[OOC: This is a copy of Decrepit's reply, I'll post here again tomorrow - I'm just pasting in stuff I prepared while the forums were down for now]

"I'm still trying to take this in," Jack returns. "And I must say, sir," he continues, with a hint of exasperation, mostly supressed, "that if I'm to do my job properly--and remain in my editor's good graces--I'd would sincerely appreciate some warning about such headline-making events. After all, you did want me on this expedition, correct?

"About the matter at hand. Yes, I'd say it sounds like quite a coup. I have to wonder, though, what it was you said to the commander to lure him out of retirement. Was it a challenge, especially given that he'll be returning to ... well, to a place of some distress?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Decrepit wrote: "I'm still trying to take this in," Jack returns. "And I must say, sir," he continues, with a hint of exasperation, mostly supressed, "that if I'm to do my job properly--and remain in my editor's good graces--I'd would sincerely appreciate some warning about such headline-making events. After all, you did want me on this expedition, correct?

“Nonsense old chap, your editor got the press release at the same time as the rest. I fear he expects too much if he thinks he’ll hear all the news form the expedition first. Commander Douglas wished to avoid the attentions of the press as much as possible, he won’t even be joining us at the hotel. The statement that we released to the press, was in accordance with his wishes, I assure you.”

Starkweather pauses, and seems to consider things for a moment before speaking again, “I’ll take your comments into consideration though, so no more surprises - I’ll speak with you before we make any press releases.”

“And I’ll arrange an interview with Commander Douglas for you, once he’s met the rest of the Gabrielle’s crew. He’s due to arrive in New York on the 6th.”
Decrepit wrote: "About the matter at hand. Yes, I'd say it sounds like quite a coup. I have to wonder, though, what it was you said to the commander to lure him out of retirement. Was it a challenge, especially given that he'll be returning to ... well, to a place of some distress?"

Starkweather laughs, “No, no there wasn’t any problem at all, the commander is keen to return. Commander Douglas is a professional man, he understands that the Antarctic is a dangerous place, but that what happened to Lake’s party was nothing more than very bad luck.”

“He’s been before, and he knew that he was the natural choice to master our ship.”

Starkweather seems to firmly believe what he is saying, but all the same his words don’t seem to ring true to Jack, though he can’t put his finger on why.

[OOC: Slight mistake on that roll, Jack's psychology is 76% now, I've not updated the character sheets after the prologue skill checks yet, the result of the test was obviously the same anyway]
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Sensing that there's more to the story, Jack probes gently ahead, not really sure what he's trying to find out.

"And what exactly has Commander Douglas being doing since his retirement? With all due respect to the commander's lengthy record, isn't there something to be said for ... well, for someone with more current experience?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

“Well that’s the thing you see, there aren’t really many ships masters with the experience.”

“Byrd’s using the same captain as on his first trip as far as I know, and there haven’t really been any further Antarctic Expeditions since the 1930 Miskatonic Expedition. So Commander Douglas’ experience is about as current as you can get.”

“It’s also important to remember that we plan to use the same approximate route through the ice pack as the Miskatonic Expedition did.”
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Well, then, that seems quite sensible, Captain," Jack says. "You'll have to forgive a landlubber like me for asking that sort of question. In any case, doubtless many of my readers will have no experience at sea and have questions such as that."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

“Ha, well I must admit I don’t know much about bloody ships myself, I just get on them and hope the damn sailors know what they’re doing!”

“Anyway the commander seems to know what called for, once he’s met the crew and we’ve ironed out the last few issues on the 6th I’ll make sure that you have some time together. I’m sure he’ll be able to enlighten your readers with some seamanship!”

“It appears that some of your fellow journalists are arriving, I’ll talk to you again another time.”

Starkweather moves to his lectern, and waits there, acknowledging each journalist as they take their seat, he greets many of the reporters by name. Once everybody has assembled the expedition leader gives his presentation, but although it has the usual extravagant “Starkweather Spin” the talk adds nothing to what Jack already knows about Commander Douglas or his recruitment.

Starkweather spends several minutes enthusing about how, despite the earlier expeditions mishaps, Commander Douglas provided outstanding service, and is clearly the ideal man to plot the return, etc, etc.

“Commander Douglas will be arriving in town in a few days, and will meet his crew according to his own schedule. He has asked to be kept away from the press, and will not be joining us at the Amherst. I trust you will all respect his wishes.”

“However I’m sure you will all have a chance to meet with the Commander before we depart.”

Return to “Previous Chapters”