chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Charles Graves »

"That is a very kind offer, thank you Gunnar"

"I'm going to speak with Starkweather, say I have to read up on a radical new treatment for Hypothermia or something at the library. I don't like this deception but I think it is the only way. Anyone else coming along to get his permission?"
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by BlackGoat »

Sean nods to Graves

"Absolutely, i'm curious myself"
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

"I'll try to be of use to you, professor Graves. I can accompany to Starkweather. Perhaps I need to check up on the geological findings of previous expeditions to Antarctica." Olof smiles wickedly.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Starkweather’s Room, Fifth Floor - Amherst Hotel, New York

10:00am – Tuesday 5th September 1933
Graves heads upstairs to find James Starkweather, he is accompanied by Olof, Callum and Sean. The professor manages to convince the Expedition Leader that he will need to spend the some time at the library to research the new medical techniques, and that his companions will be necessary in order to get the research done quickly. Unfortunately Starkweather doesn’t believe that the task will require a full day to complete.

“Very good Professor, excellent idea! As you are aware I’m a great advocate of using all the latest technology and techniques for the expedition. I shouldn’t think that an expert such as yourself would need more than a few hours to find what you need though, particularly with these three gentlemen helping you out.”

“So I’ll expect you back at the Gabrielle sometime after lunch. William is getting most anxious about the departure date, the list of problems on his clipboard is piling up disturbingly quickly. With the first aircraft arriving tomorrow we simply must get on top of the outstanding jobs, I will not allow that Lexington woman to beat us to the ice!”

The English captain realizes that he’s in danger of loosing his composure again, and quickly ushers the investigators out of his hotel room cum office, “Well you’d best be going gentlemen, time stands still for no man and all that. And I must be off myself I got the arrangements to make for the lunchtime press conference.”

“Professor let me know later how your research went, I’m most interested to hear about the new techniques.”

Wasting no time the four investigators follow Jack, Kitt and McRaven to the Public Library.
Last edited by Raiko on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

New York Public Library, New York
Morning - Tuesday 5th September 1933

At the library the investigators work as quickly as they can to gather evidence concerning the unusual events that surround both this expedition and its 1930 predecessor.

Continuing his investigation of Danforth the disturbed survivor of the 1930 Expedition Graves learns that upon his return from Antarctica Danforth was admitted to New York’s main mental asylum – Society of the New York Hospital, Bloomingdale in Westchester Country some miles to the north of the Bronx.

Callum is attempting to find more information linking Starkweather and Acacia Lexington, he cannot find anything concrete, but he does find that several society pages suggested that a romantic connection existed between the dashing English captain and the glamorous young heiress.

Jack also searches in vain for more information about the animosity between the two rival leaders. He finds that many of Starkweather’s expeditions have been marred by the same kind of organizational mismanagement as this expedition seems to be suffering. These rumours are no more than Jack had already discovered in his preliminary researches before joining the Expedition , but in the library he discovers a little known monograph “Across the Great Sandy Desert” by an undergraduate Mark Peabody. In the monograph Peabody describes a five month expedition to cross some 1,200 miles of Australian desert, from the Great Sandy Desert to the Great Victoria Desert. The expedition was commissioned by the Chandler Foundation, in conjunction with the University of California, and was lead by one Captain James Starkweather.

While the expedition began well, the group did not find the hoped-for wells or springs in the Great Victoria Desert south of Limejuice Camp. By the time Madura was reached, in Southern Australia, all of the camels had been killed, and the party had been without water for two full days. Peabody alleges that this was all the fault of the expedition leader. However the press of the time preferred to accept Starkweather’s version of events, he claimed that it was his leadership and self-sacrifice that allowed the party to survive. Peabody’s monograph appears to have been largely ignored.

The other investigators: Sean, Kitt, McRaven and Olof all have less luck with their researches, uncovering only information that is already known to them.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Lobby - Amherst Hotel, New York

01:20pm – Tuesday 5th September 1933

When he arrives back at the Amherst with Kitt for Starkweather’s 1:30 press conference Jack finds that a small package is waiting for him at the reception desk. Openning it he finds that it contains copies of various articles about Aciacia Lexington taken from the Daily News’ press morgues.
Jack,

Here’s a selection of b/grnd info on Acacia L.
Sorry couldn’t find any more linking to J.S.

Danny.

There are a large number of articles present, Acacia appears in society pages throughout her youth and young adulthood (ca. 1914-1922). Since then, most mentions of her have been mentioned in the business sections of the larger papers, especially the Wall Street Journal. Five of the articles in particular stand out.

The first "Lexington's Fairy Child" May 16th, 1918 details Acacia's social debut in glowing and exhaustive detail, including three paragraphs describing her gown.

The other four all concern the death of Acacia’s father Percival Woodrow Lexington, and her inheritance.
Lexington Tragedy
23rd July 1921

New York (AP) – A shocking scene greeted police at the P. W. Lexington mansion on Fifth Avenue today. They came to investigate what appears to be the death of one of New York City's greatest industrialists at his own hand. Percival Woodrow Lexington was discovered in his study dead from a gunshot wound to the head. Police initially suspected foul play from the dishevelled nature of the study.

"But there are obvious powder burns on his head and right hand," said Police Detective Ronald O'Meira. "That coupled with the position of the body and gun lead us more toward a
self-inflicted wound than foul play."

But his daughter Acacia does not agree. "Daddy wouldn't kill himself. These buffoons are looking for an easy answer to keep from doing any real work," the distraught young woman said. "I vow I'll find my father's killers and make them pay."

Meanwhile an anonymous Wall Street source has hinted that the Lexington fortunes were severely over-extended. The sky in New York society has grown dimmer this evening and the murky surroundings of this death surely spur further inquiry.

Rare Manuscript Linked To Lexington Death
24th July 1921

(Special) – A notice from the estate of Percival Lexington warns rare book dealers to watch out for a missing manuscript that could be linked to foul play in Lexington's recent death.

An extremely valuable and rare galley proof of the Edgar Allen Poe book The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym has been reported missing from Lexington's study where his body was found yesterday. "Robbery would be a motive for murder," said police detective Ronald O'Meira. "But the physical evidence points to a different conclusion. The book may show up in a few days. It's very difficult for most families to accept the loss of a loved one in this way."

Issuing the notice was daughter Acacia Lexington who previously raised suspicions of foul play and a lax attitude by police in investigating this case. "This manuscript is unique. I believe it is involved in my father's death," she said. "This manuscript differs greatly from the published version. I fear some collector has killed for it."

The manuscript was to have been sold in public auction today, along with other rare and valuable items from Percival Lexington's collection. A coroner's report is expected tomorrow. A public service and private family funeral will be held Friday. The public service will be held at St. John the Divine Cathedral at 11 am

Heiress Denies Own Tale Of Murder
26th July 1921

New York (AP) - A startling retraction came today from the daughter of the late industrialist Percival Lexington. Just days after she claimed foul play and police mishandling of the case, Acacia Lexington delivered a very different story after her father's funeral. "With the coroner's report and the physical evidence I have no choice but to face the facts about my father's death," Miss Lexington said.

Earlier this week Lexington claimed that her father’s death was linked to the disappearance of a rare manuscript he kept in the study where his body was found.

"I believe that book is still in my father's library," Miss Lexington said when asked about her earlier claim. "I haven't finished cataloguing the contents of the house to see if anything is missing. When it is done I'm sure we'll find the book."

"We know this is a hard time for Miss Lexington," said police detective Ronald O’Meara who investigated the Lexington suicide. "Any suggestions she made earlier were obviously the result of the strain of the situation," O’Meara said.

Percival Lexington was eulogized by several business leaders including fellow industrialist John D. Rockefeller and esteemed banker John Pierpont Morgan. He was laid to rest in a private ceremony at the family’s estate in Suffolk County.

Lexington's last will and testament will be read at his attorney's next Wednesday. It is expected that his daughter Acacia will be his sole beneficiary. Questions still remain as to who will run the Lexington enterprises for this young woman.

The final article "The Young Lady Takes Charge" Dated November 3rd 1921 is taken from the pages of the N.Y. Times. In the business section, the long article discusses Acacia Lexington's assumption of her father's business affairs after his death. It is very condescending, suggesting that Acacia should:
“either marry or find a capable and steady man of business to manage the vast fortune. A woman should never try to dabble in the affairs of commerce. Nature has granted her a high place in the scheme of things, a place that man can not usurp; in return she should not attempt to claim a position for which she is by nature unfit."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Pier 74, New York
03:30pm, Tuesday 5th September, 1933

Having worked hard for a few more hours checking the cargo inventories James approaches Moore. The overworked professor is clutching his now famous clipboard and directing some of the stevedores as they load another set of crates into the #3 tween deck hold.

Seeing the young Englishman approaching Moore smiles and says, “Hello James, can I help you?”

James explains that he’d like a private word with the professor regarding the current situation, and Moore reluctantly agrees that he can spare a little time, “But only five minutes mind you, there is still far too much to be done, as you know only too well.”

Once they are in a quite corner James gently presses Moore for anything that he knows regarding the earlier Miskatonic Expedition, explaining about the note that Professor Graves received that morning.

Moore doesn’t take the letter very seriously explaining that both he and Starkweather have received several threatening letters from “all kinds of nutcases.” However James is lucky, for Moore’s opinion of him has been boosted by the hard work that he has put in with the cargo lists, “You could easily have hidden behind your privileged position, but instead you chose to get stuck in, very commendable I think.”

“You are a good man, so I will tell you what I know, it is maddeningly lacking in important details as you will hear, but I will let you make up your own mind.”

The professor pauses for a moment collecting his thoughts before beginning his story, “As a member of the Miskatonic Faculty, I knew many of the Miskatonic party quite well. Lake and Dyer were good friends, Atwood and Pabodie familiar faces from the faculty lounge, and several of the graduate students attended my lectures at one time or another, including poor missing Gedney. The great tragedy concerns still concerns me.”

“I was at the university all through the time the expedition was away. I read the papers, I listened to the broadcasts and I was as excited and fascinated by the finds as anyone at the school. When disaster struck I was so worried; when news of the deaths came, I was devastated. And when the battered remnants of the party returned to Boston Harbour I was there to greet them as they came off the boats.”

“I only saw the Danforth boy once afterwards, coming off the ship. He did not look at all well , and they took him to a hospital straight away. A total breakdown we were told. He was in the, ah, instituation for nearly a year before he ran away. Went back to the school, tried to break into the geology department after hours during examinations. A guard ran him off – I don’t know if anyone has seen him since.”

“Pabodie, Sherman, McTighe…” he sighs. “Good men, all of them. After the voyage they were changed. Quieter. Morose. They didn’t talk about the Ice; none of them would say why.”

“My greatest fear is for William Dyer. He was so terribly different when he returned! Dyer used to be a fine speaker, a dedicated scientist, one of the more popular teachers in the department. He was… charismatic, I suppose. After the voyage, we scarcely knew him.”

“All the good humour was gone. He wandered the halls, day and night, returning to his office to write his report. His work suffered, and so did his students. He lost weight, and I do not think he slept well. His eyes had that hollow lacklustre look one used to see sometimes in veterans of the Great War. But that was not all.”

“William and I used to be chum. The ‘Double Bill’ they called us, a few years back.” He smiles, remembering. “After his return it was almost as if he no longer knew me. He would avoid me in the halls – fail to return my calls – be late for meetings – miss engagements – I simply do not know why. There was a horrible sense of guilt about him! As if he were carrying around some horrible sinful secret that aged him visibly by the day.”

“I cornered him once. Demanded to know – to help – but he refused me flatly. He was vicious about it, too. Said things. Hurtful things. Said that I presumed too much, and he didn’t need burdensome friends like that.”

“I told him that he was hurting everyone, not just himself; he said that he was leaving as soon as the report was done. And he did. Signed up for a dig in Montana, then another one in the Yucatan, then one or two more, always far from home.”

“Last December he wrote requesting indefinite leave. We haven’t seen or heard from him since. The only word that I ever received was a short note from Hawaii in March. ‘I am sorry’ is all it said.”

Moore looks James straight in the eye for a moment, “So you see my friend, I have to know what happened down there. What was able to hurt my friend so terribly. And no one alive up here is willing to say.”

There is a last brief pause. “I hope he’s happy, wherever he is. I hope he’s sleeping well.”

He looks at James again, “I know that this poses more questions than it answers James, but this really is all that I know of the other expedition, all that anybody knows except for those who were there. And they won’t speak to you, me or anyone.”
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Rose Room – The Amherst Hotel, New York
07:00pm – Tuesday 5th September 1933

A very angry James Starkweather stands at the front of the Rose Room, waving a copy of the Post in the air, his face almost purple with rage. Most of the members of the expedition are gathered in the room to eat their evening meal.

A little earlier in the day, Clark had been recalled to the hotel by Starkweather, just as a horde of tabloid journalists had descended upon the security gate of Pier 74. The reasons for all of this became obvious as soon as someone got hold of a copy of the Post.
New York Evening Post wrote: Starkweather Doctor’s Alcohol Shame
Tuesday 5th September 1933

Antarctic Expedition Linked to Prescription Racket!

New York - Investigative reporters from this newspaper today uncovered the prohibition busting shame of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition’s doctor Clark Michaels. Michaels aged 42 of Arkham, Massachusetts regularly makes ‘payment in kind’ to friends and acquaintances in the town by way of illegally falsified prescriptions for medicinal liquor.

The bearded doctor (pictured here making an obscene gesture to reporters outside the Amherst Hotel) is allegedly a heavy drinker himself. Our intrepid investigators visited the seedy Arkham speakeasy that Doctor Michaels frequents. The rogue medic is quite a ‘local hero’ at the underground drinking establishment, but as one regular identified only as Sam said, “We miss our doc, how are the guys meant to get their medicine without him.”

The Post can also exclusively reveal that Michaels falsified his personal details in his application to the expedition; he has not actually practised medicine for over two years.

Neither Michaels nor expedition leaders James Starkweather and William Moore were available for comment. Federal Agents are thought to be considering launching a full investigation into the activities of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition.

Jack soon received a hasty phone call from Patterson, “Hi Jack, have you seen the Post! Jesus those guys will do anything to sell papers! Who the hell gives a damn about Prohibition anymore now anyway, the damn thing will be over by the time you guys get home. Look those idiots are bound to come after you, they’re desperate to match our circulation, and they probably know you went to Arkham with Michaels. So watch your back! You better warn that English guy as well.”

Now Jack and Graves stand with the others in the Rose Room as Starkweather rages. Nobody has seen Clark since he entered Starkweather’s room two hours ago.

“This must not happen again! I like a drink as much as the next man! But it’s the law! This man’s actions have stained the reputation of my expedition, and I will not stand for it! No I will not! Doctor Michaels has left the expedition, effective immediately! One or two of you warned me that you had grave reservations about this, this clown of a man! I wish to God I’d listened! But I’m not the sort to go flying off the handle, so I trusted the man!”

“Well I won’t make the same mistake twice! Anyone, anyone who damages the reputation of this Expedition is gone! As is anyone who shows any other form of disloyalty!”

“Moore! I had enough, you take over!”

Starkweather storms out of the room, slamming the doors behind him.

Fortunately Moore is far calmer than Starkweather, he stands in front of the assembled expedition and says, “Well gentlemen, and Miss Knight, I think that Mr Starkweather has said all that needs to be said. As you can see the Captain is extremely sensitive to the media, so please, please try not to upset any of them.”

“The Captain will hopefully calm down a little later, but recent events are making it very difficult for him. I’ll do my best to ensure that nobody else is removed from the team in this way, but you must help me out, there was nothing that I could do for Doctor Michael under the circumstances.”

“Fortunately there is another doctor who I think would be happy to stand in for Clark, Professor Graves and Callum, if you would be so kind, I’d like you to meet with him tomorrow, to check that both his medical and cold weather experience are up to the task. Doctor Greene was initially rejected in favour of Clark, but under the circumstances I think that Mr Starkweather now regrets his choice.”

Moores gaze lingers over both Graves and Callum, “Gentlemen we cannot afford another mistake, please ensure that Greene is up to the job. Here is his resume, phone him tonight and, it he still wishes to join us, meet him tomorrow.”

“That will be all everybody, lets hope that this will be the last event of this nature to effect our team.”
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

So much had happened so quickly that Jack hardly knew how to take it all in. Oddly enough, leaving town seemed easier and safer than staying, even after all the peculiarities of the preceding days.

Jack would have to write up something about the change in doctors, but he damn well wasn't going to ask Starkweather for a comment. Though he knew it was bad practice, Jack decided just to make up a suitably self-serving and pompous comment from Starkweather explaining the change in personnel. No point in risking a hot lava bath for a little public relations mishap that would soon be forgotten. And if Starkweather didn't like it, he could go hang. He had only himself to blame for people not wanting to approach him. More likely, though, Starkweather would just congratulate him for his time-saving development. Jack could see how bending the rules could bite him later, but there was too much going on now to worry about flexible ethics.

He reviewed what he knew, and what he thought. Lexington and Starkweather had probably had a romantic relationship, one that presumably went sour. This would account for all the heat in Starkweather's response. Lexington had been involved in a curious incident involving her father, first chastising the police then apologizing. What had caused her to change her mind? She seemed strong willed enough not to be easily bullied by some blackmailer, so Jack surmised that it somehow became to Lexington's advanatge to hush up what had really happened. Maybe she found the manuscript herself? Or maybe she just wanted to seize the reins without lot of delay. Jack wasn't sure.

He'd ask Danny to try to see whether this manuscript had ever gone on sale, but he figured that would turn up nothing. It's been a long time since Jack had read any Poe, so he hoped to be able to pick up a copy of the published version of the book.

He also thought he'd try to put in a call to one of his police contacts. He can't remember if he's ever met O'Meira, but maybe someone would be able to fill in some of the gaps in the Lexington story. If he found something, he could always call up Lexington herself on the pretext of doing a story about "the competition." Not much time left, though, he realizes, and he wasn't sure how this was going to help him with the expedition, but his curiosity had been aroused, and he couldn't let this one go so very quickly.

Return to “Previous Chapters”