In Character and Out of Character threads for completed
chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Decrepit »

"Just looking to get some background, that's all, Professor--and call me Jack," Jack says, then pauses.

"Ah, well, I guess that's not entirely true. I'm curious about whether any of the survivors of the earlier expedition can give some idea of what happened to Lawrence. Plus, I figure that there are some things that happened that just didn't fit into official accounts, if you know what I mean."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Grand Central Terminal – New York
02:05pm – 27th August 1933

After taking a short cab ride Jack, Clark and Graves arrive at New York City’s famous and impressive rail terminus. Inside the crowded foyer they soon find that the next train to Boston departs at 14:40 from platform 12, from Boston they will be able to take a second train to Arkham.

Kelly’s Place – 420 West 45th Street, Hell’s Kitchen, New York
01:45pm – 27th August 1933

James leads the way into the seedy looking gun store, closely followed by Callum and McRaven. The inside in just as shabby looking as the storefront, but Kelly does stock an impressive collection of pistols, rifles and shotguns. The well built Irishman himself stares suspiciously from behind the counter at the three potential customers as they enter his shop. He is within easy reach of both a shotgun and a baseball bat from where he stands, apparently Kelly believes in looking after his own security.

“If ye’r not boyin, stay out. No browsin, y’hear.”
Last edited by Raiko on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Well, gentlemen," Jack says, "I suggest that we take the next train to Boston and go to Arkham from there. I'll check in to the fares and accommodations--but I'm guessing, knowing my editor, that we'll be able to go in only modest comfort ... at least those going on the paper's tab, that is.

"Funny thing, you know, most people think this place is called Grand Central Station, but it's actually not, you know.

"Anyway, back to business. Dr. Michaels, do you happen to know Professor Pabodie? I was thinking about just dropping in on him, but if you've got an 'in,' I'm interested in hearing about it."
GaryTheNerd
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 18 years

Post by GaryTheNerd »

"Know him? Na, but I've seen him around campus a few times. Dyer too. But if push comes to shove, I think I have a topic of conversation a bit more intriguing than a simple newspaper interview."

Clark scratched his head as his face tightened. After a few moments he began again.

"Anyways, I wouldn't worry too much about accommodations while we're in Arkham. We can stay at my place while we're there. There's a spare bed and a couch. And I guarantee you'd be hard pressed to find an Arkham hotel that has as wide a selection of libations as I have."

"Besides, we may need the extra money. If Pabodie is a bust, there's a guy in Kingsport who was on that expedition too, man by the name of Arthur McTighe."
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

As Olof cautiously studies the schematics of the Pabodie drill, the engineer suddenly gets an idea. Why not phone the Miskatonic University? Perhaps there is a possibility of speaking with Professor Pabodie and complement him on his work and perhaps get an answer on the nagging question: Why isn't Professor Pabodie on this expedition?

Olof goes down in the lobby and asks if he can phone Arkham, Massachussets.
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

"Thank you for your kind offer of hospitality Clark" says Graves. "While at the University I think I may also briefly drop in on the anthropology and psychology departments." He gives Jack the money for his ticket and wanders over to a newspaper vender to pick up a copy of todays NY Times.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Amherst Hotel – Lobby
03:30pm – 27th August 1933

Olof makes his call to Miskatonic University and, after a ten minute wait, eventually gets Professor Pabodie on the phone.

"Hello this is Frank Pabodie, how can I help you sir?"
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Thanks from me, too, Clark," Jack says. "I must confess that I'm interested in seeing your, um, 'selection.'

"I thought about telephoning Pabodie, but I think I may have better luck just dropping in instead. I'm interested in your other lead, too, Clark. Anything you want to say about this McTighe?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

On The Train – Boston to Arkham
08:05pm – 27th August 1933

The journey from Grand Central to South Station, Boston took just under five hours, arriving right on schedule at 19:30. The last train of the day to Arkham departed from platform 3 five minutes late at 20:00.

The change of trains at Boston was the most stressful part of the journey so far, the three now sat aboard the second train relaxed in the knowledge that they would make it to Arkham tonight. Their train is due into Arkham’s station at 22:30.

South Station, Boston
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Professor Pabodie? My name is Olof Eriksson, I'm with the Starkweather-Moore expedition. I have been set in charge for your drilling equipment and I have to say I'm impressed by the ingenuity of the drill!"

Olof pauses. "If you don't mind me asking, why aren't you on this expedition? After all no one knows your equipment better than you professor I suspect."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Lobby – Amhurst Hotel, New York
03:30pm – 27th August 1933

When Olof compliments Pabodie’s drilling apparatus the professor replies, “Thank you Olof.”

He sounds friendly, and happy to talk about it, however as soon as Olof asks why Pabodie is not accompanying the new expedition he is greeted by complete silence.

The silence lasts for several seconds, and Olof is about to speak again, thinking that he may have lost his connection, when Pabodie speaks again. He sounds very upset now:

“I will never go back. Ever. Nothing in the world could persuade me to set foot down there again – and I cannot explain in any way that you would understand. Oh, the poor, poor men, my friends, the fools….It is not a place for us. Mankind was not made for such a place.”

The line goes dead.

Boston and Maine Railroad Depot – Arkham, Massachusetts
10:33pm – 27th August 1933

Clark, Graves and Jack step down from their carrage onto platform 2 of Arkham’s small railway station. The sun has set, but the starlit skies are clear of cloud, it is a pleasant summer evening in Massachusetts.

The station master waits at the end of the platform, this is the last train of the evening, and he looks forward to returning home after inspecting the trio’s tickets.
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Strange. His probably upset because of the horrible accidents on the last expedition. That's understandable." Olof hangs up. He shortly considers phoning the professor again, but decides not to. The professor is obviously distraught and if he does not want to talk about his experience on the continent, Olof won't trouble him. Somehow Olof can't shake the feeling that there is more to the professor's reluctance to partake in the expedition than ordinary grief. Perhaps Starkweather or Moore can tell him more?

OOC: I go and look up either Starkweather or Moore. I have some questions for them.
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte

getting tooled up and some answers...maybe

Post by Steerpike »

McRaven nods in the direction of James before speaking to the shopkeeper.

"The young gentleman here would like to see a selection of your better quality pistols, and answer a few questions about a previous customer...I'm sure it will be worht your while"
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Well, fellows," Jack says, "it's getting late. Should we just head over to your place, Clark? I don't want to say I'm superstitous, but I've ... well, I've heard a few stories about Arkham, and after the Lawrence incident, I'm not sure whether I want to be out here at night."

Jack stops for a moment. "I'm sure you must think me a bit foolish, Clark, you being from here and all, but I'm a little on edge, I guess."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Lobby – Amhurst Hotel, New York
03:45pm – 27th August 1933

Olof leaves the lobby and heads back upstairs, looking for one of the expedition leaders. Starkweather is away on expedition business, but fortunately Professor Moore is in his room.

He opens his hotel door shortly after Olof knocks, "Oh hello Olof, come in. What can I do for you"
GaryTheNerd
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 18 years

Post by GaryTheNerd »

"I've read the dime novels too, Jack. Don't tell me a reputable newsman like yourself actually believes in tales of space monsters and giant fishmen thought up by some second rate Jules Verne."

Clark scratches his beard for a moment. "Although there is the old Corbitt house in the middle of town. Some folks say its haunted."
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"Well, professor, call it curiousity, but I called Professor Pabodie a few minutes ago. I complimented him on his drilling machine and I could not help myself wondering why he was not part of this expedition as well. I asked him about it and he became very agitated and then he hung up on me. I know there was some sort of tragic accident, but it seemed that was not the sole reason for his reluctance to participate. Has he been asked to participate in the expedition?"
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"I'm sure you're right, Clark," Jack says. "I'm just being a mother hen. Shall we head to your place and sample some of those libations you mentioned? I'm sure some liquid courage would set me to rights.

"Tomorrow we can get an early ... ish start. I want to stop at the university's bookstore first and skim through the Dyer report before talking, or trying to talk, to Pabodie. I'm not sure he's going to want to see me, and I want as much insight as I can before I see him in person."
OrionUK
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by OrionUK »

James replies to shop owner "We only wish to browse briefly before making a purchase and, if possible, test your memory regarding an associate of ours whom has recently been in touch with your establishment - his name was Lawrence?, here is a small note for your trouble" James then hands the shop owner a $10 dollar bill and waits to see the shop keepers reaction.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Kelly’s Place – 420 West 45th Street, Hell’s Kitchen, New York
01:46pm – 27th August 1933

The big Irishman pockets the ten dollars, “Aye Lawrence, oy remember him. Quiet guy, real nervous type. Oy sold him a .38, but he called every day while he was waitin’ fer the permit. Oy told him it’d take a week.”

After checking James’ permit, Kelly shows him a selection of handguns, “Take yer pick, the Colt 1911’s pop’lar with them that can afford it.”

Moore’s Room - Amherst Hotel, New York
03:47pm – 27th August 1933

“Have a seat OlofMoore pours them both a coffee and listens to the concerns of the young Swedish engineer.

When Olof has finished, Moore sits thoughtfully for a moment then replies, “Frank Pabodie changed on that voyage, they all did...None of them discuss what happened on the ice.”

“I invited him to accompany the expedition of course, but he refused. Too many dead friends I guess.”

Moore pauses again and seems to be considering saying more, but decides against it. Unfortunately it seems that he doesn’t wish to share everything that he knows.

“I hope to learn the full truth when we find Lake’s camp, I lost many friends myself on that expedition.”

Miskatonic University – Arkham, Massachusetts
01:35pm – 28th August 1933

After partaking from Clark’s private supply the night before, the three investigators rise “nice and early” to begin their investigation.

They journey first to the university, but learn that Professor Pabodie is not available.

Apparently he received an urgent phone call the day before that upset him greatly. He asked for three weeks leave of absence to attend to his elderly aunt who had been taken ill in Boston.

Although disappointed the three do manage to acquire a couple of copies of Dyer’s Summary Report from the university bookshop. Unfortunately the lengthy document appears at first glance to be very dry, detailed, and long-winded – it will take some time to fully digest.

Return to “Previous Chapters”