Page 1 of 1

OOC: Chapter Three - Departure

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:21 pm
by Raiko
It may take a day or two for me to get things together (I never got time to redo some things lost in my Hard-Drive crash), but we are actually just about ready to go. :D

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:51 am
by Raiko
As the New York section is just about complete now, I'll be sorting out all of the 'skill checks' and increases over the next 24-48 hours. :)

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:26 pm
by Raiko
I’ve now sent everybody a PM, stating what I think their character is taking onboard the ship with them. Most of the PMs are pretty similar, so please forgive any cut & paste errors. :)

If I’ve missed anyone out please let me know.

I’m assuming that anyone who hasn’t posted otherwise IC is going to have a last night on the town with Doctor Greene.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:42 pm
by Decrepit
By the way, happy 1000th post, BMM! :D

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:13 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
Raiko do you think Maurice's PC sheet could be added to the crew list?

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:45 pm
by Raiko
I've added a link to your sheet, but I'm going to put all the various pc/npc lists, maps, cargo lists and the (totally untouched) synopsis into my new wiki http://www.cthulhu1933.co.uk/wiki. :)

The large number of threads here is getting a little unmanageable I think, so a wiki seems a much more user-friendly way to hold that data. :)

The wiki is empty at the moment, but I'll have a lot of the information added over the next couple of nights. Then I'll start removing the un-needed threads from here. I'll replace them with a single 'pinned' thread that links to key parts of the wiki.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:36 pm
by Decrepit
On our next episode of As the Mythos Turns: Will Kitt find happiness? Will Jack drown his sorrows? Will the hunky doctor be eaten by a Great Old ONe?

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:52 pm
by Charles Graves
Poor Jack

Kitt you heartbreaker :lol:

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:33 pm
by Raiko
Decrepit wrote: Will the hunky doctor be eaten by a Great Old ONe?

Maybe the hunky doctor is a Great Old One. :P

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:33 am
by Decrepit
Is it season-finale time yet? If so, then maybe. :D

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:54 am
by Decrepit
Charles Graves wrote: Poor Jack

Kitt you heartbreaker :lol:

Now, now. :) If there's fault, it's probably Jack's for being socially inept. And, besides, part of him would rather not become attached to anyone else, given both his experience and his self-assessment, and so he thinks it's better for people to keep their distance.

Mainly, I'm just having a little fun with it.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:37 pm
by Decrepit
Kitt wrote: "It's not safe to go out on your own, though," asks Kitt, worried. "I could go and get my gun."

:shock: :D

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:38 pm
by Laraqua
The hunky doctor better not be eaten by a Great Old One! If he did, where would the drama be? :lol:

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:59 pm
by Decrepit
It'd be a mysterious death where you never see the body. Of course, if a GOO eats you, you're probably not going to see the body anyway. Hmm ...

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:42 am
by Raiko
Sorry for the delay, I've been too busy at work to post :cry: this has also delayed my work on the wiki.

I have kept up with your posts though.

As I understand it, Jack is going to speak to Hanson on the phone, then join Greene's night out?

PS: I promise to try and make a drama of it any time that anyone gets eaten by a GOO (or one of their minions).

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:49 am
by Decrepit
You have Jack's plan right.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:34 am
by Henrik
If you should die, you should die in style. If you should be eaten, let it be by a shoggoth at least!

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:39 am
by Henrik
Have the skill increases been sorted out? I suspect that I haven't used any skills in this chapter either! :lol:

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:50 pm
by Raiko
Henrik wrote: Have the skill increases been sorted out? I suspect that I haven't used any skills in this chapter either! :lol:

Skill increases will occur when the ship leaves port.

The next increase after that will occur when you set foot on the ice, then at key points later in the adventure.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:04 pm
by Laraqua
Has Kitt been getting skill increases, too?

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:04 am
by Henrik
I'm suspicious of that Lexington woman. A shame that we did not learn more about her. I think she's a cultist!

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:58 am
by Decrepit
I have a feeling we'll come across her again ...

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:24 pm
by Raiko
Decrepit wrote: I have a feeling we'll come across her again ...

That's quite possible...

I'll be making a big post tonight. I'll wait till Jack has had chance to respond to Hanson if he wants to.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:57 am
by Raiko
Do you want to role-play the last night out, or move on quickly to departure day?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:17 am
by Laraqua
I'm good to go. There's not really many characters going for a fun, wacky adventure anyway. Kitt will just spend the whole time gushing over Doctor Greene and trying to keep Jack's morale up, which will verbally entail much the same thing, but with the good doctor there'll be body language hints too.

Shame about the time period, if this was Modern, I woulda had to pack something R-rated in her belongings to make sure the trip is fruitful! :lol:

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:57 pm
by Raiko
Ok I'll move straight onto the departure, with a quick account of the night out.

I'm going to be extremely busy for the next 24 hours or so, but should be able to post at a higher rate again after that. So I may not be able to write the next post until then.

One last thing, this really is the last chance to add any items to the equipment list, after my next IC post you will all be aboard the SS Gabrielle. :)

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:04 pm
by Raiko
Ok I'm doing some last minute stuff before we go, the departure will be on Sunday (real life), I'll have you aboard the ship tonight.

BTW: I've started the BtMoM wiki now, all the character lists, maps and handouts will be moved there very soon.

Once that's done the forum should look less cluttered with just IC & OOC threads, plus a single thread linking to key parts of the wiki. :)

Once I've posted about you boarding the boat, I'd like you all to post about entering your cabin/joining your cabinmates. Once everyone has posted it'll be time to go. :D

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:11 pm
by Raiko
I need to go out, but I'll have you aboard the Gabrielle in a post later today. Sorry for the delay, as usual I'm busier than expected. :oops:

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:37 pm
by Raiko
Hurray!!! It's taken me longer than I originally planned, but this time you really are going. Sorry about the cabin what/Maurice. Not to worry though, once a few of the 'more senior' expedition members are dead Maurice will be able to choose a better cabin. :lol:

For those characters who maintained their vigil over the warehouse, the night again passed without incident. A job well done though.

The wiki is coming along slowly. This page will shortly contain a photo of each and every expedition member. There are still one or two of you who haven't provided a photo of your character. Please could you send one now.

As I said I would like each of you to make one or tow posts about boarding the ship and settling into your cabin or walking around. I'll give you a day or two, then we depart (and you get those skill increases - yes Kitt as well :))

I plan to post about one or two days travel per real-life day once we leave port. I would like you all to try to make a daily post as well, so that I know that everyone is still here. There are some events that take place during the voyage, I'll make sure that regular posters get to be involved in these, so make sure you post so as not to miss out. There will also be 'classes' run on the voyage, giving 'free' skill increases to your characters, so make sure you post that you are joining in when the time comes. :D

Bon-voyage you land lubbers...

Oh yeah, there's sea-sickness rules as well :?

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:36 am
by Decrepit
Great. Jack gets to bunk with Dr. Hunky. :roll:

Well, at least this way I can keep an eye on him.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:35 am
by Raiko
Decrepit wrote: Great. Jack gets to bunk with Dr. Hunky. :roll:

Well, at least this way I can keep an eye on him.

Made me laugh, I mean I put Jack and Clark together, because they seem like they'll be good friends...

...then GaryTheNerd vanishes, I replace Clark with Dr. Hunky, and you get stuck with him. :lol:

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:50 am
by Mister Juan
Just to say that I'm still following the game daily. I just haven't found the time to post anything constructive. Work is eating away my days like it's not even funny. Anyhow, I'll do my best to have something up (and coherent) tomorrow.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:21 am
by OrionUK
Hi Raiko, do you still have the photo's I provided for James or do you want them again?

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:47 pm
by Raiko
OrionUK wrote: Hi Raiko, do you still have the photo's I provided for James or do you want them again?

Yes I've still got James' photos thanks.
I'm hoping to put the rest of the Expeditions photos onto the wiki tonight.
I'll also sort out the skill increases.

There will be a lot of information appearing over the next few days of the schedule, training available, the layout of the ship, etc. I'll try to make good use of both the wiki and the forum to try not to overwhelm anyone with details.

The first leg of the journey (around Cuba and onto to Panama) will take about eight days.

There aren't any on board activities planned for the rest of the first day, just a big celebration.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:25 pm
by Decrepit
There'd better be some shuffleboard. I'm just sayin'.

On a more serious note, is Jack going to have access to the radio room for dispatching stories, or how's that going to work?

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:34 pm
by Raiko
Decrepit wrote: There'd better be some shuffleboard. I'm just sayin'.

On a more serious note, is Jack going to have access to the radio room for dispatching stories, or how's that going to work?

Yes the ship's radio operator will wire your stories back to New York. You can ask at any time providing it doesn't interfere with the normal operation of the ship.

The radio room is on the boat deck, one level above the Main Deck. I never provided a plan of that deck, but I'll be rectifying that today. :)

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:14 am
by Raiko
I'll resume the story tomorrow, with the first day or so of sailing.

I've edited some of the deckplans now, I just need to tidy up and post the top two decks.

Your characters know the main deck and the cargo hold well already.

I edited the crew slightly after double checking the cabin spaces. The most noteable change was the removal of the Ship's Physician. He apparently isn't normally part of the ship's crew, but was added by the insurance brokers.

But with two expedition doctors aboard there hardly seems the need, also the authors forgot to allocate him a cabin.

I also removed one of the engine crew.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:48 am
by Raiko
I've updated the deckplan images now, the cutaway view is now labelled, and there are plans of the boat and bridge decks now. There is also a 'flying bridge' above the bridge that is not shown (ie an area open to the elements with a ship's wheel).

The deckplans forum also has a short summary of what is stored in each hold, for anyone who doesn't fancy memorising the manifest.

My next post will be to actually carry on the story, now that I'm happy there is enough detail about the Gabrielle.
:)

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:56 am
by Raiko
Sorry for the delay, it's been one of those days again.

I'll make sure that I post tomorrow, unfortunately as I've got several things to reply to IC, and a long post to make I won't get chance tonight.

I'm also sorting through the experience/skill check stuff.

I've decided that while I'll use the CoC 'skill check system' as published I'll also give 'discretional awards' as well. Each player will recieve between 1 & 3 bonus increases for each experiance award section. There will be limitations in how you can use the increases though. For Chapters 1-3 everybody will get at least 2, some characters will get 3.

Hopefully I'll get full skill increase and bonus award lists done tomorrow.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:18 pm
by Raiko
Hi everyone,

I've not forgotten this game, my little boy was ill last night while I was half way through preparing the first few posts about the voyage. I'll hopefully have them finished tonight, but if not I'll email them to work and post at lunchtime tomorrow.

Once the voyage is progressing I'm confident of keeping the posts coming, it's just those first few that are tricky.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:10 am
by Raiko
This is effectively the end of Chapter 3. Chapter 4 is much longer covering the voyage as far as the refuelling stopover in Australia. I'll give another day to allow people to reply in chapter 3 before moving on to the new chapter though.

Skill Checks Chapters 1-3 – New York

Here are the ‘skill check’ results for chapters 1-3. I’ll update the character sheets to reflect the skill increases.
Note: Both Pilots were allowed to attempt a pilot skill increase after their time on the new aircraft. Everyone else was allowed an attempt to increase library use skill after their time checking the cargo lists.

In addition everybody can increase 2 skills that haven’t already been increased by these ‘skill checks,’ provided they can justify that skill increasing, ie they must have roleplayed using that skill, even if I didn’t make a roll for them. You can increase a skill that I made a skill check for, but failed to get an increase.
These skills will increase by 1d10 points if they are below 50%, 1d6 points if they are below 75% or 1d4 points if 75% or above. Jack receives 3 discretional increases, rather than 2.

Callum
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 25% (1d100=51)
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Increase to Library Use 25% (1d10=3)

James
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 25% (1d100=15)

McRaven
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Spot Hidden 75%, Mechanical Repair 50%, Pilot 80% (1d100=27, 1d100=3, 1d100=81)
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Increase to Pilot 80% (1d10=9)

Isugtag
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Sneak 35%, Spot Hidden 35%, Library Use 25% (1d100=18, 1d100=85, 1d100=90)
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Increases to Spot Hidden 35%, Library Use 25% (1d10=3, 1d10=6)

Jack
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Psychology 76%, Persuade 55%, Library Use 60%, Fast Talk 70% (1d100=92, 1d100=19, 1d100=31, 1d100=8)
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Increase to Psychology 76% (1d10=9)

Kitt
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Pilot 81% (1d100=48)

Sean
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 25% (1d100=10)

Prof Graves
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 60%, Credit Rating 80% (1d100=34, 1d100=2)

Maurice
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 25% (1d100=11)

Olof
Skill Checks Chapters 1-3: Library Use 38% (1d100=14)

One more thing:

For anyone who is interested I've put up a google earth file that will be updated continually to track the expeditions progress.

The URL is: http://www.cthulhu1933.co.uk/files/Star ... dition.kmz

You may need the latest version of Google earth installed for the file to work, I'm not sure.

I will update the file everytime I post a new ship's position, so you'll need to keep downloading the file, but it's only 1KB at the moment. The first update for chapter 4 is already included.

The Gabrielle will head due South to Cuba, then around the South-Eastern corner into the Carribean Sea and onto Panama. Once the Canal has been transitted the next stop will be Melborne in Austrailia. After a refuelling stop-over there it's onto the Ross Sea.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:57 am
by Mister Juan
It's probably just me being retarded... but I was just wondering if I got everything all good: Isugtag got his Spot Hidden and Library Use skill increased?

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:45 am
by Raiko
Mister Juan wrote: It's probably just me being retarded... but I was just wondering if I got everything all good: Isugtag got his Spot Hidden and Library Use skill increased?

Yes, sorry I forgot that not all of you have played CoC before. Rather than using a points based experience system CoC allows you to try to increase skills that you successfully used during the game by making a 'skill check' roll that has to exceed the existing skill level. If successful the skill goes up by 1d10.

So Isugtag's Spot Hidden increased by 3, and his Library Use by 6.

You can use the 'discretionary increases' on any skills you can justify having used in the game (regardless of whether I actually rolled against them), except for Spot Hidden and Library Use, as they've already increased in this section of the game.

I'll be updating the character sheets at lunchtime today, and I'll change them again as each player picks the other skills they'd like to increase.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:00 pm
by Henrik
Since Olof has spent a lot of time with studying the Pabodie drill, perhaps an increase in Operate Heavy Machinery is suitable? His English skill might have improved as well, since there are so many educated speakers around him.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:25 pm
by Laraqua
Listen because she had to have conversations at loud jazz clubs.

Mechanical Repair or Spot Hidden because she hung out with mechanics checking out the planes at one point.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:25 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
Maurice is boosting Hide 1% and Opr. Hvy. Equ 1%

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:31 pm
by Raiko
Ok I think the character sheets are up to date, prior to the ‘discretionary increases.’
Henrik wrote: Since Olof has spent a lot of time with studying the Pabodie drill, perhaps an increase in Operate Heavy Machinery is suitable? His English skill might have improved as well, since there are so many educated speakers around him.

Those are fine. :)

Laraqua wrote: Listen because she had to have conversations at loud jazz clubs.

Mechanical Repair or Spot Hidden because she hung out with mechanics checking out the planes at one point.

I’m fine with those, but remember that there is a special ‘aircraft maintenance’ skill for this campaign, that Kitt already has at a higher level than her Mechanical Repair.

I’m happy for you to increase either Mech Repair, Aircraft Maintenance or Spot Hidden though.
thewhatchamacallit wrote: Maurice is boosting Hide 1% and Opr. Hvy. Equ 1%

I’m fine with those (I presume you’d justify the Hide increase as Maurice felt ‘invisible’ earlier ;)).

You’ve wrote 1% next to each increase, does that mean you’ve already rolled?
Otherwise you get +1d6 Operate Heavy Machinery and +1d4 Hide

I'll try to make a few posts over the weekend, to get us moving along again.

Hopefully I can stop saying "I'm sorry" every other post in Chapter 4. ;)

BTW: Please could the first person who tries the google earth file let me know whether it works or not. If it doesn't, make sure you have the latest google earth version first though.

Thanks. :)

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 pm
by Decrepit
Unfortunately, there's no skill called Romance, as Jack would be getting a 1d10 increase in that ...

Anyway, next best things.
Persuade (+1d6): +4
Fast Talk (+1d6):+6
History (+1d6): +3
(I didn't roll for History, but he did pick up some things about the previous expedition.)

866142 [MOM] 3 1d6 [4] = (4)
[6] = (6)
[3] = (3) Ch. 3 discretionary skill increases for Persuade (55%), Fast Talk (70%), History (60%) 2007-02-09 06:51:25
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=866142

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:17 am
by Raiko
Just a note:

I've learned that for some reason, if you download my google earth file using Internet Explorer it thinks the file is a zip archive, when it is in fact clearly a .kmz google earth file.

I don't really know why, but it happens with both IE6 & IE7. If you change the file extension back to .kmz after downloading it will work correctly. I'll try to find out why this happens (does anyone here know?)

Firefox doesn't have this problem, and presumably other decent browsers (eg Opera) won't either. Personally I think everyone should stop using IE, but I'll try to fix the problem anyway.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:02 am
by Laraqua
Decrepit wrote: Unfortunately, there's no skill called Romance, as Jack would be getting a 1d10 increase in that ...

Since when? Not like he's been getting anywhere! Or has he? :P

Poor Kitt. The only woman with a boat load of men for months at sea. Is she gonna get hassled or what? :wink:

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:16 pm
by Raiko
I think I've fixed the Google Earth / Internet Explorer problem. Please could somebody who uses both programs check the file for me again, all versions of IE should now recognise it as a google earth file.

If was a problem with how Internet Explorer handles unknown file types (it guesses instead of checking the windows settings), but there was a server side file I changed that fixes the problem.

The file's URL again is:
http://cthulhu1933.co.uk/files/Starkwea ... dition.kmz

As for Jack, there may not be a romance skill, but hanging around Starkweather has done wonders for his Psychology skill! :lol:

BTW: Everybody's skill choices are fine so far, but Laraqua you haven't said whether you prefer Aircraft Maintenance / Mechanical Repair / Spot Hidden for Kitt's second skill.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:46 pm
by Henrik
Rolled for my chosen skills. Got 4 percentiles increase in Operate Heavy Machinery and 6 percentiles in English. Increases in Operate Heavy Machinery and English (1d6=4, 1d6=6)

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:03 pm
by Decrepit
Laraqua wrote: Since when? Not like he's been getting anywhere! Or has he? :P

I meant his skill was so low that he'd qualify for the 1d10 increase. But, yes, you're right, there's no plausible RP reason to assume that he'd employed such a skill, let alone successfully. :D
Poor Kitt. The only woman with a boat load of men for months at sea. Is she gonna get hassled or what? :wink:

Nah, not with all these gentlemanly sailors around.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:48 pm
by Charles Graves
As Graves has been doing much reading on Polar survival and medicine he will increase both skills. Can you also add the word 'history' to his Art-painting skill as he knows about paintings but cannot do them himself.

Will you roll for Charle's increases and post back what the results were and I'll the change the hard-copy character sheet I have for him.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:53 am
by Mister Juan
Since Isugtag did some sneaking around with McRaven, and spent pretty much every single day in silence, simply watching and listening to everyone around him... I'll improve Sneak and Listen ;)

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=870107
So thats +7 to sneak and +8 to Listen

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:25 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum spent a lot of time helping to load equipment onto the ship, and keeping watch over the warehouse, so I was thinking of improving Operate Heavy Machinery and Listen, if thats ok.

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=871345

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:05 pm
by OrionUK
I think James, having spent so much time watching the warehouse etc, would have used Listen and Spot Hidden quite a bit. So I would like to improve those please.

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=871443