chapters are archived here.

Moderator: Raiko

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: IC - Chapter Five - Onto The Ice

Post by Laraqua »

Kitt dances about the decks while the others heave their lunches or tie things down. She clutches her overly large hat to her head, giggles and calls out encouragement to the various men, all the while trying to hold her dress down with her free hand. If it could be possible, she seems so much happier and healthier now than she has at any point before in the trip. She finds the storm absolutely refreshing!
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Henrik »

Olof feels very sorry for those that are struck by sea sickness. He is a bit surprised that he has not been stricken, but he welcomes the change, he has been sea sick before on this trip and he did not enjoy it at all. Perhaps there will be a change in weather soon.
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by BlackGoat »

Sean collects his thoughts and walks along the deck. The sight of hi fellow crew members emptying their stomachs is however very unsettling. He realizes how close they are coming and a sudden wave of uncertainty hits him. He will arrive on one of the polar lands of the word in the not too distant future.

With the apprehension of Scott he feels better, but with yet another newcomer he keeps a watchful eye on John. With all thats happened, you can't be too trusting of the strangers.

He stands and watches the ocean for a moment, observes the sky and decides that being outside is far too depressing right now. Perhaps one of the activities will keep him busy. He invests his time in First Aid.
Ghost_1971
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Ghost_1971 »

Callum sips, tentatively, at the water offered by John. "Thank you very much mate." He attempts a smile, but it's definately more of a grimace. I've heard that if you can keep your eye on the horizon, the sea sickness isn't as bad, he thinks. Callum wraps himself in his sowester and walks out onto the deck for a breath of fresh air, and to watch the horizon.
Charles Graves
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charles Graves »

At first Graves stoically tries to assist in the securing of the scientific equipment but it soon becomes clear that he is just too ill to be of any help.

He climbs to the deck to fill his lungs with fresh air.

He clings to a hand rail at the top of the stairs leading onto the deck feeling cold, wet and miserable. Feeling the bracing wind in his face does however reduce his nausea.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Kitt sidles up to Graves, still clutching at hat and dress. "Lovely day we're having, hey?" she asks, blithely unaware of Graves condition.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Raiko »

[OOC: I cut & pasted the end of my last post to the beginning of this one, as it makes more sense here, after all of your storm related posts]

The SS Gabrielle is battered by the terrible weather all day long, but suddenly shortly before 7pm that evening the fierce winds die down, and the black wall of clouds to the west dissolves suddenly.

Everyone on board is treated to a magnificent sunset, banners of orange and green and gold fusing and chasing one another across the lowering sky. It is a wonderful surprise ending to a memorable day. Gabrielle turns south once more.

SS Gabrielle - The Southern Ocean
12:00 - Monday 24th October, 1933

SS Gabrielle Noon Position:
Latitude: S57°47'
Longitude: E163°57'
Wind: SW20-25kts
Last 24 hours: 246miles

Dawn on Monday the 24th breaks clear and cold, with a bitter wind sweeping in from the south-west carrying the chill of the polar ice. Ice-rime quickly builds up on the ship's lines and railings. Any who venture onto deck need to wrap up against the cold wind.

Compared to the previous day's rough ride, the sea today seems almost as smooth as glass. The Gabrielle make excellent progress through the smoother seas.

Knowing that yesterday's storm will certainly not be the last, or the worst, Captain Vredenburg orders his crew to rig the ship for bad weather. Heavy lines are rigged fore and aft along the deck, to be used as handholds and guides when needed. All remaining loose equipment is safely stowed and secured.

Starkweather and Moore walk the decks proudly, Starkweather making light of yesterday's nausea, and back in high spirits.
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by BlackGoat »

( OOC - Failed to notice i was actually seasick >_< )

Sean rolls over in his bed to realize the rough seas have gone...atleast for now.

"Good, maybe I can shake this and finally get used to this blasted movement..."

He sighs and lays back down just staring up from his bed.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

SS Gabrielle - The Southern Ocean
Tuesday 25th October, 1933

SS Gabrielle Noon Position:
Latitude: S60°17'
Longitude: E165°4'
Wind: S <10kts
Last 24 hours: 188 miles

Daybreak on October the twenty-fifth brings with it a weird shadowy world. The ship pushes forward at reduced speed through thick freezing fog. Rime thickens on all exposed surfaces, frost points grow across ports and windows, and the deck becomes slick and dangerous. The captain reduces speed once, then a second time, as visibility drops and the sea calms.

The first iceberg is sighted at 2:40 p.m. - a huge old glacial table at least 40 yards across, weathered and crumbling, its sides undercut in a hundred caves from the working of wind and water. Other icebergs follow, looming up out of the thick freezing mist like ghosts. As sunset approaches the Gabrielle has passed close by a dozen of them, each trailed by its little flock of chips and shards. One of the floes is a deep greenish black, riding barely above the water, but almost half again long as the ship.

As the sun sets the ships barometer begins drop again and the crew fears that another storm is imminent. Captain Vredenburg immediately turns the ship, heading east. He is unwilling to risk pushing into deeper the field of icebergs at night in rough weather.

The atmosphere in the ship's messes is subdued, as the Gabrielle pushes slowly through the fog and both passengers and crew nervously await the threatened storm.

Richard Greene gets out his cards, and starts a game which both Sorenson brothers quickly join, he asks if anyone else wants to join in:

"It this is anything like the last storm, I'll be throwing my guts up soon. So I might as well enjoy myself first!"

Nils Sorenson grunts in agreement, he was also badly effected by the last bad weather.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Jack laughs politely and volunteers to sit in. Truth be told, he, too, was disturbed by the weather and by the presence of the bergs, which he'd of course anticipated but still not, somehow, prepared himself for. Even had the weather been fair, Jack would've begun to think that this all was a terrible idea.
OrionUK
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by OrionUK »

"I'll second that" James say's sitting down to join in the game. Barely recovering from the massive bout of sea sickness he welcomes anything to take hs mind off the thought of further storms, although he hopes if and when they do occur the storms won't have such a significant impact on his stomach!
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"I´ll see if I can get some coffee from the pantry." John says and heads off t get some warm berverage. "Save a seat for me too, guys. Last time I played was a..." The sentence trails off as he gets out of earshot. Momentarily John gets back with a steaming pot of black gold java, china clanking on the verge of shattering as he stumbles on the high step-in. "Oops, close one there!" He puts the china down and lets the pot rest on a coaster amid the cards. "So, what´s the game?" John looks at the players expectantly...
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Kitt stands out on deck, fully rugged up, surveying the icebergs. Ever so often, she bothers various ship men for information on what they're doing and what's going on.

Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

Olof who is seeing Kitt watch the icebergs walks to her and points out. "They're magnificient, aren't they. I've read that the major part of the isberg is hidden below the water line." Not knowing the term "ice berg" the engineer uses the word of his native language instead.
BlackGoat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by BlackGoat »

Pulling up a chair Sean sits with the men.

"Count me in, I'd rather not regret not using my free time as I did last time."

He looks around at the others seated.

"So what do you all think of the events passed? Think we're finally past all that rubbish and preparing to make history?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"I think we're past all that now," replies Green as he deals the cards out.

"After all everything's been quiet since Callum and Isugtag caught Scott in the act. This fog's wierd though, spooky almost."
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Jack seemed to remember having a role in the capture as well, but he let it pass. "I hope things have ended," he says, "but we really know so little about why the things that happened, happenend. I'd feel better with a proper motive. Scott told us some things, but nobody thinks he told us everything about why he did what he did, and we don't know who he was working for."
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

"How fascinating," says Kitt, meaning it. "Everything seems to exciting out here. I just can't wait to see the ice! And to fly! It's been so long since I've flown."

OrionUK
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by OrionUK »

"It's certainly been an eventful start to the trip, can't say this was a boring voyage so far but I'm glad the fiend is off the ship now and we can look foirward to the next part" James looks at Dr Greene "so what game are we playing here then"
Henrik
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Henrik »

"I've never had experienced flying, it should be interesting indeed." Olof hides the fact that even if he knows the physics behind flying, his a bit frightened by the prospect of flying himself!

Return to “Previous Chapters”