Page 1 of 1

OOC: Chapter One - September At Last

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:50 pm
by Raiko
This chapter was supposed to be called "Arrival in New York," but that wasn't suitable due to the way we played the (optional) Prologue.

I'm almost ready to post details of all the expedition NPC's, they'll appear in the "Cast of Characters" thread when they're ready.

I'll be PMing further details of two or three NPCs to each of the players who didn't go to Arkham, one or two of you have given preferences as to who you'd like to get to know, I'll pick suitable NPCs for the rest of you. If you'd rather make your own minds up let me know in the next 24 hours please.

I'll hopefully keep a tighter schedule for this chapter, I've never tried running a game for so many characters before so I appolise to anyone who got left out at any stage in the prologue.

For those players who's characters went to Arkham/Kingsport, you still have chance to ask a question or two of McTighe, but I didn't want to spend another week just interacting with three characters, so I've begun chapter 1. Your characters can be considered to be back with the others as soon as you finish with McTighe. :)

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:47 pm
by OrionUK
I think James would like to get to know the rest of the group over time, on the voyage, he will not rush any conversations after the reception he received over dinner. Saying that he would like to continue the discussion about Lawrence with McRaven & Callum at some point.

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:55 pm
by Raiko
I'll give everyone another 24 hours to make their first chapter one post, then I'll (hopefully) start posting everyday.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:07 pm
by Raiko
I get the impression that one or two of you (not just Charles Graves) are planning on moving your characters from the hotel to the ship straight away.

This is fine, but please take into account that:

(a) The expedition won't be departing for another couple of weeks.
(b) The main "base" for now is still the hotel, so most meetings will be held there.
(c) Your characters will be at sea for approximately two months, except for a brief stopover in Australia, they'll be sick of the sight of their cabins by the time they reach Antarctica. :P

Having said all that, I honestly don't mind - so if you want to move your characters here, no problem. :)

I'll be waiting another 3-4 hours to see if anyone posts, then I'll continue (it'll be more than 24 hours since my last post then).

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:30 pm
by Henrik
Ah, I thought we would depart as soon as possible. I should have paid better attention when Starkweather and Moore held their briefing. :)

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:37 pm
by Decrepit
Henrik wrote: Ah, I thought we would depart as soon as possible. I should have paid better attention when Starkweather and Moore held their briefing. :)

There were just too many plates flying around.

Jack's not moving till he has to, btw.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:38 pm
by Raiko
Henrik wrote: Ah, I thought we would depart as soon as possible. I should have paid better attention when Starkweather and Moore held their briefing. :)

:lol: You will be departing as soon as possible, but your characters just have lots of hard work to do first. :)

EDIT: There's no problem moving your personal gear to the ship though, you will all have a cabin allocated today.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:32 am
by Raiko
Sorry for not posting last night, I ended up not having time. :oops:

I'll post some deckplans a little later.

If you don't want to speak to Moore then just head to the crew's mess to see Sykes. After grabbing some food of course. :)

I'll post again tonight (about 12-13 hours from now).

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:21 am
by Raiko
Again you can tkae the opportunity to speak with Sykes or just go with the flow.

For Charles Graves & GaryTheNerd you can use the medical examination to take the opportunity to introduce yourselves to any of the other players if you like (or other players characters can use this time to meet the two doctors).

There will be a lot of time spent today in lots of waiting rooms and queues, so I'm happy for any of you to assume that you are next to any other PC or NPC at any time, and strike up a conversation.

After the measurements, medical and photograph, you'll be shown round the ship, then it's off to the dentist (with a luck roll to avoid treatment :lol: What do you all think the sanity loss would be for 1930s dental work? ;))

I'll keep posting every day to take us through this stage if the adventure, you can roleplay your character's reactions to as much or as little of this as you like.

I've got campaign cartographer reinstalled now (and paintshop pro), so I'll get the floorplans edited and posted ASAP. This is necessary as I'm adding an extra cabin or two to the ship, to make sure I've room for our slightly larger expedition.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:49 pm
by Raiko
Sorry I had another busy weekend (as usual), then I forgot to my flash-drive to work, so I could n't post at lunchtime.

Anyway, Steerpike seems to have got us back on track:
Steerpike wrote: McRaven stands in line for the exam. He's been here before, albeit some 20 odd years ago, but it's all part routine.

Stand in line, hurry up and wait. Breath in, breath out, Breath in and hold your breath...breath out. Testing eyes, testing reflexes, taking blood, taking piss and when it's all over, you walk out and another walks in.

Somewhere around the door was your dignity, the first thing you always lose. Remembering to pick it up, you smile bravely at te next victim and head next door for the camera.

It's almost over now

*FLASH*

"Thats a keeper, Mr McRaven Sir, you're done"

With that McRaven heads out back in the room where the coffee and sandwiches are hiding out. He then corners the Prof, and between bites, inquires as to the status of the birds and the need for him to check things out.

So I'll carry on from there :)

I'll be posting in a few more minutes.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:27 am
by Raiko
Regarding the cabin allocations:

Madame Pyro is creating a second female character, she will be joining the expedition in a couple of "in-game" days, and will share Kitt's room.

It doesn't look like Gloomy will be joining us, Blackgoat has asked if he can join the game, so I've asked if he'd mind having a photographer character to replace William. So his character will be with Callum & Isugtag.

The Aftcastle Cabins are much worst than the Midships Cabins, but luckily none of you are using them. :)

General Stuff

I keep putting the 15th as the departure date, it's meant to be the 14th, oops :oops: - I'm editing it now.

I won't be recruiting any more players unless a lot of people drop out.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:11 pm
by Henrik
I see that you continue to misspell Olof's surename, Raiko. It should be ErikssOn, not ErikssEn. The -sen ending is Norwegian and Danish, not Swedish. It's should be "son".

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:09 pm
by Raiko
@Henrik

Oops :oops:

Sorry about that, I misspelled it in the "Cast of Characters" page, and then kept copying it from there. :roll:

Fixed now, I'll edit recent IC posts later.

BTW: I really should have known how to spell Eriksson correctly, as it's currently a famous (but not very popular) surname in England. ;)

@Everyone

Your characters' cabin numbers correspond to the room numbers on the deckplans.

I'm putting up a key below the deckplans showing what the other room numbers mean.

In case I’m delayed posting the key:
Room 19 is the Officers Mess, where Moore is (and the sandwiches).
Room 20 is the Galley
Room 21 is the Crews Mess, where Sykes is.
Room 22 leads down to the engine room.

The CC3 plans that I'm doing will include furniture, fittings, etc. They’ll hopefully be done later this week, but they’ll certainly be ready in plenty of time for the voyage.

Because of the apparent mix-up regarding departure times, I’m assuming the following (based on the majority of posts):

Everyone has either brought their “working gear” today, or will be sending it tonight (eg Olof).
This working gear will be stored on the Gabrielle ready for departure.
All rifles/shotguns are also being stored on the ship from today/tonight.
All “personal day-day gear” is still at the hotel, including any pistols.
Nobody plans on keeping possession of their firearms during the voyage, via persuasion, or stealth.
Nobody plans on sneaking illegal alcohol on board the ship.
The following characters are currently carrying concealed firearms (with permits): Isugtag, James, McRaven.
Nobody else is currently armed.
Everybody is still staying at the Amherst Hotel.

If anybody disagrees with any of this for their character then please let me know, I’ve no problem, but I want to keep track of your gear / firearms / alcohol. I realise that my generalised list above won’t be correct for everyone.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:39 pm
by Decrepit
I believe that Jack's still going to need a cabin assignment ... unless I totally missed it on the list.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:51 pm
by Raiko
Decrepit wrote: I believe that Jack's still going to need a cabin assignment ... unless I totally missed it on the list.

Sorry, I lost that during cutting & pasting - Oh well, poor Louis misses out on a comfy cabin. :)

Fixed now.

I'll post again tonight, the next post will take everyone up to tomorrow morning's meeting at the Amherst. If I have have time I'll detail all the speeches, etc, in that post, so we can get on with things.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:23 am
by Raiko
I didn’t include the meeting in my last post, as it isn’t until the following morning (for some reason I keep thinking that that meeting occurs in the evening, despite reading chapter 1 a dozen times!).

My next IC post will be for Saturday 2nd, September – 1933, I’m planning on spending two or three real-life days for each “game day” in chapter one, unless anything occurs that requires more detailed roleplaying. The first of my posts each day will always detail that day’s “breakfast meeting,” once you’ve all had time to respond to anything said or done at breakfast, I’ll spend one or two “real days” covering the tasks and events that occur that “game day.”

Chapter One covers all the “routine events” from 1st September until the Gabrielle’s departure date. Chapters two and three cover more dramatic events that may or may not involve the investigators directly.

Those two chapters run within the same timeline as chapter one, so we might change chapters before the departure date, or we might jump straight from chapter one into chapter four depending on your actions.

@Decrepit: I’m trying to get in touch with Shadow, so that Jack gets his interview with Kitt before she leaves for New-Jersey. Once she’s talked to Jack I’m happy to NPC her until Shadow’s got time to join in properly again, but I’d rather not NPC her for the interview.

@Madame Pyro: If you read this, I sent you a PM, but you haven’t read it yet. Are you still interested in playing? I need another female character in on the 3rd or 4th of September, so if you don’t get in touch soon I’ll have to use the “lady NPC.”

@Blackgoat: Sorry I haven’t emailed you yet, I’ll send everything tonight.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:36 pm
by BlackGoat
No problem at all, i've been just reading along keeping fresh everything everyone is doing and still thinking how I want to play out my character, i'm eager to join in with the rest of you.

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:37 am
by Raiko
I've added a short introduction to the two expedition leaders in the Cast of Characters thread.

I'll add another section to that thread every day until all of the expediton member have been profiled (plus the SS Gabrielle's crew eventually.

As promised I'll also send more detailed information to individual players regarding those NPCs who they have got to know best during the prologue.

Sorry this stuff is taking so long, I guess I should have spent several more months prep time before starting. :roll:

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:29 pm
by Raiko
I'm writing the full meeting post, but it was taking a little too long last night, and I can't spend too long on it today, as it my wedding anniversary. :)

I've put up a short introduction, mostly copied out of the book. I'll post more details of the meeting tomorrow, but I wanted to put something up now that allows you all to post something.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:26 pm
by Raiko
Player Update

Sean Lyle Mcphearson is BlackGoat’s character. I haven’t heard anything from Gloomy since the first week of play, so I’m assuming that they won’t be joining us.

Sean therefore takes William’s place in the expedition.

I’m going to give GaryTheNerd another week to start posting again, otherwise I’ll find a suitable place to write out Clark (who I like a lot), and replace him with the NPC that had to be left out due to having two PC doctors aboard (I also like the NPC).

I’ve not heard anything back from Madame Pyro yet, so it looks like I may have to either use the female NPC, or just have one female character in the expedition. But there’s still time yet. :)

I'll continue posting the presentation stuff either tonight or tomorrow, after you've had chance to post your characters thoughts, greet Sean or whatever. This also gives BlackGoat a chance to post, he's been keenly reading the story so far, so I'm sure he's glad to be involved at last. :)

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:41 pm
by Raiko
I’ll be posting each NPCs introduction in the Cast of Characters thread, rather than making that IC post even longer. I’ll only be able to do this a few NPCs at a time, but everyone should be done in a few days.

You can post your own character’s brief introduction up IC if you like, or just assume that they did it – with the exception of our new character Sean I think all the PCs know each other by now.

As I’ve already said, I don’t intend to role-play though the whole “cargo-inventory” thing, it’s too time consuming for a play by post game, and I’ll sure you’re all as keen as me to get sailing.

But I do need your characters to join into groups (either with other PCs, or with the NPCs) and take a list from Moore, it’s still going to be time consuming for your characters, even if you players get out the worst of it. :)

I’ll post “highlights” of the inventory checking process as we go.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:32 pm
by Charles Graves
Welcome aboard BlackGoat :D

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:58 am
by Raiko
I'll have Sean's character sheet up on the cthulhu1933 website sometime tomorrow.

I've posted the cargo lists on a separate thread, please select one for your character, unless they're the lazy type.

As I said I won't be spending long on the lists, but we still need to establish what your characters are checking.

There might be a few typo's in the cargo lists, I'll be double checking them tomorrow, it's very late now.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 am
by Mister Juan
Just a little side note:
I just realised that I mentioned Isugatg had, as service revolver, an Enfield No. 2 Mark 1 revolver. Even if the revolver entered manufacturing in 1932, it would be highly unlikely for him to have one, let alone two. What I have learn, is that Canada's Northwest Mounted Police (which Isugtag would be loosely affiliated with) were issued, starting in 1905, Colt New Service revolvers. During WW1, Canadian forces also widely used the same revolver. It would be more logical if Isugtag had that revolver instead of the Mark 1.

Specs for the gun are very similiar to the Mark 1. It holds the same number of shots, at the exception of having a caliber of .455 instead of .38 . The barrel is also a bit longer (half an inch I think), and cylinder swings out and to the side to load, instead of being a forward break action.

Anyways, I realised this isn't very important, but I thought it might be good to note what weapons will aboard the ship (now, why would we bee needing guns anyways? :P), since at some point, ammo might have to be shared. Since the Colt New Service revolver load .455, it means it could share ammo with any guns loading .455 (Callum's new Colt .45 comes to mind).

Also, if anyone ever wonders why Isugtag has brought a total of 4 guns with him: well, he's a hunter. The polar environnement he knows of actually has many predators, mainly wolf and polar bears. He knows that the South Pole is mainly unexplored, and actually expects similar animals to be found there.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:17 pm
by Raiko
Henrik wrote: Olof had listened with interest. He raised his hand.

"Is it possible to have a look at Professor Pabodie's drilling equipment? I have so far only read about the marvelous device!"

Olof picks up list #7. He's not feeling interested in checking up on the food supplies. Also, he might need to use the more scientific and technical equipment and it can be a good idea to familiarize with any new devices.

The various components of the Pabodie Drill are all on List#2 :)

Code: Select all

1 | heavy crate w.derrick, bracing struct for drill 
 1 | heavy crate w. generator, motors & drill-head 
 1 | frame cont. w. jointed drill-pipe, 12' lengths 

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:27 pm
by Raiko
Note that these lists contain the vast majority of the cargo that will be used by the expedition, barring a few “little items” like 4 aeroplanes and 22,000 gallons of fuel.

The full manifest will be posted closer to departure, when more of the cargo has arrived, but it's worth glancing through the lists now, because if it's not on those lists the chances are that it's not being taken.

So if there is any essential piece of gear that you'd like aboard, you need to either speak to Starkweather or Moore, or go shopping. 8)

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:22 pm
by Raiko
I'll give Charles Graves & OrionUK a few more hours to post, then I'll reply anyway.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:38 pm
by Raiko
Just in case I missed anyone off the IC post here is a breakdown of the teams looking after each cargo list

@Henrik: I've tried to replace the Norwegian guy's names with more correct ones, I'll be amending the "Cast of Characters" thread in a minute.

I'll be making one or two more posts today, which will take us all the way up to the morning of the 4th September. This is just to abridge the "cargo checking" part of the adventure, without skipping it entirely.

List#1
Jack
Olav Sørensen

List#2
Olof
Albert Gilmore
Louis Laroche
Samuel Winslow

List#3
Tamás Lopez
Hidalgo Cruz
Maurice Cole

List#4
Isutag
Callum
Gunnar
Nils
Gregor Pulaski
Erik Frodesen

List#5
James
Sykes

List#6
Charlie Porter
Timothy Cartier
Avery Giles
Douglas Orgelfinger

List#7
Charles Graves
Sean
Clark
Willard Griffith
Morehouse Bryce
Charles Myers
Pierce Albemarle

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:41 pm
by Raiko
@OrionUK: I forgot that the 3rd is a Sunday, so obviously James’ appointment with the “dynamite guys” must wait until Monday afternoon. I’ve edited my previous post.

@Decrepit: Sorry to railroad your character a little, I wanted to allow you an interview with Starkweather, but as he really does prefer to shout to the world, this seemed the best way to run it and still keep the game on track. I’ve started a new short thread to allow you to question Starkweather out of sync with the “cargo checking.” I'll also use the same thread for any future interviews with Starkweather.

@Everyone: Beware, I’ll continue posting like this until the departure, barring any major events of course. :)
You can either sit back and enjoy the ride or “butt in” with posts of your own, but if you don’t post the departure date will move relentlessly closer, and closer. Although I’m keen to depart for Antarctica, once the date arrives their will be no chance to use libraries or press morgues for your investigations any more.

Then again good luck if you want to dodge the work at the docks, Moore is keeping an eye on everyone, and he doesn’t have time for slackers.

In the meantime I’ve still got a huge backlog of “NPC Introductions” to add to the cast of characters thread, and PMs to you all about the NPCs you know better than the others, I’ll try to catch up today. :oops:

I’m assuming that Madame Pyro isn’t going to play after all, I haven’t heard anything from her and she hasn’t answered (or read) the last PM that I sent. I’ve considered recruiting an extra player to take a second female PC, or introducing the published female NPC, but I’ve decided that I’ll just include Kitt. I’d hoped that Shadow would be back posting by now, but at least I know the reason for his absence, and I’m prepared to run Kitt as an NPC if necessary.

As GaryTheNerd hasn’t returned, or let me know why he’s not posting, I’m going to consider Clark to be an NPC from now on.

This means that the current “Cast of Characters” is:

Callum McDonald (Ghost1971)
James Seymour (OrionUK)
Kitt Knight (Shadow)
William McRaven (Steerpike)
Professor Graves (Charles Graves)
Grey Wolf (Mister Juan)
Olof Eriksson (Henrik)
Jack Wilson (Decrepit)
Sean Lyle Mcphearson (BlackGoat)

Thanks everybody for keeping the game moving so far despite the slow start. :) I’d only recruited so many players as from previous experience I genuinely didn’t expect so many of you to stick with the game, so thanks again. As all of you have provided excellent posts and stuck with the game, and also because of the five or so new players who expressed an interest in this game only BlackGoat actually submitted a character; I’m not planning on allowing any new players into the game, and if I do they’ll have to either take over an existing character or an NPC.

I’ve got my own posting up to speed now, and events should soon start to gather pace. So I wish all of your characters the best of luck with the rest of the expedition.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:31 pm
by Raiko
I'll give you all the rest of today to reply to that batch of posts before I post again, although I will reply to any posts that you make as quickly as possible.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:02 pm
by Raiko
This post was about the server problems so it's not relevent any more

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:04 pm
by Raiko
Now the server's back up :D I'll post again later tonight (I've got some stuff prepared).

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:39 am
by Raiko
All your characters are sleeping on the fourth floor except James who has a posh suite on the eighth floor, and the two pilots who are obviously still in Trenton.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:22 am
by Decrepit
Jack will try to rouse someone from the paper to see whether he can find and persuade someone to do a quick morgue check searching for any connections between Starkweather and Lexington. Ideally, he'd like some preliminary information before going into the breakfast meeting. At the meeting, he will also try to get some reactions from Moore and Starkweather for a follow-up story on the moved-up timetable and the new, even hotter competition.

If helpful, Jack can make a trip to the office today, schedule permitting.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:05 pm
by Raiko
I'd like everyone who's character is on the fourth floor to make a post please, not just Decrpeit; it is quite a dramatic event after all.

I'll wait to give you all a chance to post before continuing, so please post ASAP. :)

In the meantime I'll sort out a reply for Jack's earlier interview with Starkweather

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:12 pm
by Raiko
I had a very long post to make, so I broke it up into several shorter posts, the first one was here http://www.c4xtc.com/viewtopic.php?p=4671#4671.

I'll be adding the well known details about Acacia to her expedition's thread later today.

I'll try to keep the posts coming quickly this week, we were getting through the preparation phase at roughly "real-time" last week before the server problems. If you can all try to post at least once per day now, I'll try to keep us moving as quickly as possible.
Decrepit wrote: If helpful, Jack can make a trip to the office today, schedule permitting.

Now that Jack doesn't have to work on the cargo lists anymore, he should have chance to get to his offices, though he may need to take Kitt with him, she'll be back in New York by 11:00am

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:13 pm
by Raiko
Shadow is back, hopefully he'll be able to resume playing Kitt when she arrives back in New York. :)

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:24 pm
by Raiko
I’ve tried to leave a few things more open ended to give you a chance to post.

If anybody wishes to slip away from the ship and investigate things it you like, as long as your absence is unnoticed or excused with Moore.

Jack has a little time to make quick enquiries before meeting Kitt, they may also have chance to investigate things together later.

James has an excuse to be away all day.

Graves could use a trip to the library to research “more medical texts” as an excuse for other investigations.

Isugtag and/or Callum could leave the ship to order replacements for the missing timbers, with or without each other and Gunnar. Whilst away they could look into other matters without being missed.

Other characters could use similar excuses to leave the pier and investigate events.

Remember though that if too many people leave the docks, Moore will become suspicious and/or angry. So don’t feel obliged to investigate.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:20 am
by Raiko
I'll carry on NPCing Kitt, until Shadow can start posting again.

Anybody who wants their character to be in the lobby close to Graves can be. So feel free to get involved. The messenger has left the lobby by the time Graves has read the letter though.

@Decrepit: Sorry I'd hoped that Jack and Kitt would be in the library at the same time as Graves, but he fluffed his Fast Talk roll. BTW: The Stark-raving-mad-weather comment made me laugh, he gets a similar nickname later in the adventure. :lol:

@Charles Graves: Unfortunately the library was a bit of a waste of time (you must have the unluckiest dice rolls in the world). However the medical texts that he located will allow him to reroll a single failed medicine, first aid, or pyschoanalysis roll when you are in the Antarctic, use it wisely. :)

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:54 am
by Raiko
By the way, from this point I'm not going to push the game quite so quickly, providing some of you post I'll let you set your own pace. I'll push things on a Sunday if the game is going too slowly. I'd just moved things quickly to get through this chapter which is very slow paced.

Chapter One is almost finished, chapter two begins on the 6th. Things should be more action packed from now on :)

@Steerpike: McRaven will arrive back in New York at 11am, on the same train that Kitt used the day before. The planes will arrive by rail on the 7th and 8th, the fuel has already started to arrive.

McRaven will be free to do what he likes for the first day back in New York, after that Moore will get him down to the docks with everybosy else.

Cargo checking is becoming more and more awkward, but most of it has now been done. The docks are a more dangerous place than ever as expedition's fuel supplies are starting to be stockpiled in the warehouse ready for loading onto the Gabrielle.

Moore is becoming increasingly stressed by the inventory mistakes ("Lexington sabotage" as Starkweather calls it), so anyone hoping to sneak off and investigate anything will need a good excuse.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:37 am
by Raiko
Nice posts everybody :)

OOC: Callum, Idea Roll(80%) = [38](Sorry I’ve not got access to Invisible-Castle from work)

@Steerpike: McRaven shouldn't have been back in time to see the huddle in the Amherst, but as I'm glad you are all back together we'll say the pilots caught an earlier train than Kitt did, so they arrived at Penn Station at 09:05, rather than 11:05 as stated.

So everyone's back together. :)

Note that you will need some excuses in order to avoid checking more of the cargo lists today.

Jack & Kitt don't need to go to the docks - they have a press conference at 01:00pm

As I've mentioned in PM's to one or two of you, James can get out of working at the docks, as he donated a large amount of money to the expedition, he could also fairly easily (maybe with a credit rating check) get one or two of you out of the work, if he can think of an excuse.

Jack has excellent Fast Talk skill (not that worked yesterday), so he could probably get an extra person out of working at the docks, again he need a decent excuse though.

Nobody will really be expecting McRaven at the docks today, the first planes arrive tomorrow though.

Various other characters could use their own fast talk or persuade skills.

You could also just sneak away, without telling Moore

Remember that Moore will not be happy if all of you try to dodge the work at the same time, so maybe you could take turns (maybe in groups) during the day or something.

I'll give you until Sunday (my time) to discuss your plans, then I'll try to resolve the events for the rest of the day (this will take us up to the start of chapter 2).

If you seem to have come to a consensus before Sunday (today maybe? 8)), then I'll resolve things immediately.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:23 pm
by Steerpike
Raiko wrote: Nice posts everybody :)

@Steerpike: McRaven shouldn't have been back in time to see the huddle in the Amherst, but as I'm glad you are all back together we'll say the pilots caught an earlier train than Kitt did, so they arrived at Penn Station at 09:05, rather than 11:05 as stated.

Sorry about that :oops: Next time when there is a "time" difference I will OCC a quick query about McRavens possible actions.

cheers

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:18 am
by Raiko
@Charles Graves: I fear that you jumped the gun slightly, you posted before I had the chance to post an extract from Lawrences Diary. :lol:

Still it's good that things are moving too fast for me now. :)

Beats those damn lists eh?

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:29 am
by Raiko
I could do with you all making a decision within the next 24 hours.

I am prepared to wait a little longer, but don't be surprised if I try to push things along IC if you haven't made your plans by then.

As we are aproaching the end of a chapter, this seems like a good time to mention something that PrBatblind brought up in his game:
PrBatblind wrote: This is a very nice opportunity to introduce a new advancement rule I used this summer and that did work fairly well. I’d like you to tell me what you think of it.
Instead of throwing for each checked skill at the end of the adventure (was it a chapter or whatever), the keeper gives a number of skills (generally three, but I suppose an act or bravery or a spectacular role-playing could earn a few more) which can be raised. Then the player chooses which he wants to increase, considering they can be all that he used in the adventure, was it successfully or not. Therefore, the skills are increased according to their actual scores, following the following table:
If the skill ranges:

From 01 to 30, 1d10
From 31 to 50, 1d8
From 51 to 70, 1d6
Above 71, 1d4.

This system is less frustrating than the official rule, for players always get rewards, and have an influence on their progression.

The official rule for training stipulates that one could train in any skill with the right teacher, but at the rate of… six month for a 1d10 progress. Now with the new system I could allow points before the end so that the player could learn the fundamentals of, for instance, shotguns…

Your thoughts on the general rule?

Character advancement is one area that I would always houserule in a tabletop game, as I hate the official rules. So what do you all think of Séb's houserule?

I like it a lot and I'll use it if most of you like it, this will include backdating to the prologue as I never updated the character sheets.

I won't be using any other houserules though. :roll:

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:11 am
by Henrik
I like the rules as they are now, but if you want to use this rule instead I'm not opposed to the idea.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:49 pm
by Charles Graves
I like Seb's houserule for experience. It allows the Gamemaster to reward good play and doesn't rely so heavily on luck.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:23 pm
by Raiko
Moore has already departed for the docks, you could either speak to him there, or wait until the evening

XP

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:04 pm
by Steerpike
I'm all in favour of increases being settled at the end of each chapter. That way we only increase the skills we are using, if we are allowed to pick any 3, the temptation is go for areas were we are weak in anticipation that we might need them.

Like Mcraven suddenly getting better at occult, library use and fast talking without ever having used them sucessfully.

I'll take my GM hat off now and go sit quietly in the corner. :wink:

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:21 am
by Mister Juan
I'm fine with the advancement rule.
Also chirping it to say that I am not dead, just terribly busy at the moment ;)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:18 am
by OrionUK
I dont mind which rule Raiko chooses. I have had some funny shifts over the weekend so sorry for the delay in posting but should be ok for the rest of the week now.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:16 pm
by Raiko
Sorry for the short delay, I couldn’t post at lunchtime today as I finished early to get something done on my car, and I can’t post properly tonight as I’ve got a very early start tomorrow. :(

As you seem to have mostly finished planning what to do next I’ll give you until my lunchtime tomorrow to decide who’s going where (thats about 13-14 hours from now).

Remember that you’ll need to go to the docks if you want to speak to Moore (either to officially get out of checking the lists, or the question him about other things).

He’ll be back at the hotel in the evening, so that’s probably a better time to question him, he’s always got a little time to spare for members of the team.

Starkweather is still at the hotel, probably looking for some journalists to chat to. ;)
He isn’t as good at finding time for team members as Moore though. Getting permission from him is as good as getting it from Moore though.

At lunchtime tomorrow I’ll go with whatever plan you seem to have hatched, at the moment I’ve got this:

Jack and Kitt are going to the library, then coming back for the press conference at 1pm.

Professor Graves is planning on going to the library as well, either he or Jack could talk to Starkweather or Moore about that (possibly after the deed is done :)).

Olof is accompanying Graves.

James is going to the docks.

Callum thinks everyone should ‘bunk off,’ but Nils disagrees with him, warning that Starkweather puts his pride first.

Both Sorensen Brothers will continue at the docks for now (they are the only NPCs in this little gathering).

McRaven has suggested talking to Commander Douglas about the mysterious note, Douglas is due into New York tomorrow (6th Sept 1933), Starkweather has promised the press access to the commander the day after that.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:51 pm
by Ghost_1971
I didnt mean we should bunk off. I just meant that we could use the fact that Moore is under pressure. Therefore we could all go and investigate, instead of just one or two people :?

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:54 pm
by Raiko
I've re-read your post, and maybe I misunderstood it, as I originally read it as meaning that you don't want to consult Moore (or Starkweather), hence my "bunk off" phrase. :)

I'll assume that Callum is accompanying Graves when he goes to see Starkweather, under the pretence that his arctic survival experience will aid the professor’s research.

I’m also assuming that Olof and Sean are accompanying Graves as well.

McRaven is still free to do as he likes for today, I’ve assumed that he goes with Jack and Kitt.

This leaves James, Isugtag and Clark who are still going to the docks.

I'll be posting in an hour or so, I couldn't from post from work as I need to use Invisible Castle.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:42 am
by Decrepit
"Eduardo" at Dell says the problem with my computer is the monitor, and they claim to be sending a replacement. Of course, they also told me they were going to send me a second email about it, and they haven't, a few days later. Which is a round-about way of saying I'll be in and out. Nice time for me to take some time off work to work on my dissertation stuff ... :cry:

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:09 am
by OrionUK
Hi Raiko, when James gets to the docks with the Sorensen Brothers can he spend 1/2 hour or so helping with the lists & then, whenever the right opportunity presents itself, start "chatting" to Moore whilst slipping in the odd question about previous expedition members, survivors & previous goings on - to see how susceptible Moore is at releasing any info about the recently received warning?

If the others still need more time to investigate after this afternoons press conference I will think of an excuse to give to get a couple of people back out again depending on peoples findings.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:41 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean is accompanying Graves =)

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:29 pm
by Raiko
Sorry, I've been much busier than I like to be :x, hopefully things will go smoother for the rest of the week and I can resume posting at my normal pace again. :)

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:03 am
by Raiko
Hopefully I'm back on track now, the rest of the week shouldn't be quite as busy.

I've mostly written a post concerning James meeting Moore at the docks, I'll post the full thing from work.

I'll be starting Chapter 2 from work tomorrow as well, you can all post replies in either chapter 1 (for 5th Sept stuff), or chapter 2 (for 6th Sept stuff) for a day or two if you like, until you are happy that your actions are complete in chapter 1.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:38 pm
by Raiko
That was my final planned post of chapter one, I will of course reply to any posts that you all make.

As I've made several IC posts today, here is a link to the first.

@Charles_Graves & Ghost1971: I'll PM you both a copy of Greene's resume later, I need to copy some stuff out the book first.

I'll be beginning Chapter Two from home later, again I need to copy some handouts from the book (I thought I'd done them a while ago).

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:58 pm
by Decrepit
I'm mostly back now, maybe. My replacement monitor got lost at the opposite corner of the state, but hopefully I'll be up and running today.

Raiko, I'm not sure how far you want me to push the investigation of perhaps-ancillary events. They're certainly intriguing, but I don't want to derail things, either.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:09 am
by Raiko
Decrepit wrote: Raiko, I'm not sure how far you want me to push the investigation of perhaps-ancillary events. They're certainly intriguing, but I don't want to derail things, either.

I'm fine with you investigating anything that you like, if I feel that the adventure is getting off track I'll try to push it gently back on track. If that doesn't work I'll just have to be less gentle. ;)

For now it's ok to investigate anything that you like. I'd prefer you all to move your IC actions into chapter two as soon as you can, but apart from that do what you like. :)

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:55 pm
by Raiko
Another thing that I’ve forgotten to say is that if GaryTheNerd comes back (as real life can easily cause long absences from forums, eg Shadow), I have kicked out Clark the character, but not Gary the player. If he returns we’ll sort out something to allow him to continue playing (not with Clark though).

I enjoyed Gary’s roleplaying of Clark a lot, but as I said earlier I had to leave out one of the main NPCs (Greene) due to having two PC doctors. I was happy with this, as long as both doctors remained PCs.

As I don’t know whether GaryTheNerd will ever return or not, I decided this was the best time to replace Clark.

Graves and Callum are quite welcome to reject Greene if they don’t think he’s suitable. Given the time constraints, as Callum said there isn’t really time to find a replacement, so the Expedition will depart with one doctor (Graves). This won’t be a problem as the published campaign is written with Greene as the sole doctor.