Page 1 of 1

IC: Chapter Two- The Death of a Sea Captain

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:36 pm
by Raiko
Chapter Two - The Death of a Sea Captain

Fourth Floor - The Amherst Hotel, New York
08:20am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

As they leave their rooms, ready to make their way down to breakfast, and the daily meeting with Starkweather and Moore, the investigators are all surprised to find several journalists casually standing in the corridor outside the newly repaired door to Moore's hotel room.

The reported mostly ignore the Expedition team members as they pass, seemingly intent on watching the door to the co-leader's room, ready to pounce if it opens.

The reason for the presence of the journalists becomes apparent when the investigators look at their morning newspapers downstairs, Jack also has a telegram waiting for him at the Amherst's reception desk.

Code: Select all

HEY JACK STOP YOU PROBABLY KNOW
THE SITUATION BY NOW STOP LEFT YOU
OUT OF THINGS THERE STOP SORRY BUT
DID NOT WANT TO ALIENATE 
STARKWEATHER FROM YOU STOP SENT
DANNY TO JOIN THE PACK STOP KEEP
YOUR EARS TO THE GROUND STOP 
JM PATTERSON
FAMED SEA CAPTAIN MURDERED!
Wednesday 6th September 1933
Watery Death for Commander Douglas
New York (AP)- J.B. Douglas, fifty years old, was discovered last night in the water off Battery Wharf. Two fishermen brought the unconscious mariner ashore after an assault by person or persons unknown. Commander Douglas died on the way to the hospital.

A respected officer of the Merchant Marine for many years, Douglas will be remembered as the captain of the SS Arkham, one of the vessels which carried the Miskatonic University Expedition to the Antarctic in 1930. Douglas was reportedly in New York City to speak with the leaders of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition, which will leave in a few days. The expedition expects to retrace the route of Douglas' ship three years ago.

Thomas Gregor and Phil Jones, sailors resident in New York City, were returning to their fishing boat Bristol when they heard muffled cries and ran to see what was happening. They spotted a man running away and some agitation in the water.

While Jones ran after the fleeing man, Gregor dove into the cold waters of the harbour and found a motionless figure there. He heroically pulled the unconscious man out of the water and onto the dock. He attempted to revive the drowned man. Meanwhile Jones, who had lost his quarry, went for help.

Police later announced that Commander Douglas had been bludgeoned about the head, and began a search for his murderers. Anyone with information about this terrible crime, or about Mr. Douglas' whereabouts on the night of the murder should contact Detective Hansen at the Battery Precinct Station.
DEATH ANNOUNCEMENTS
Commander J. B. Douglas
Jeremiah Barnes Douglas, Commander in the United States Merchant Marine (ret.), aged fifty years, died September 5th in New York City. Douglas served as an officer in the Merchant Marine during the Great War. He retired from the Service as a Commander in 1926 after twenty five years. He then captained his own vessel, the Arkham, notably on an expedition to Antarctica in 1930-31. He retired from active life in 1932 to his home in New Hampshire.

Known as "J. B." to his family and friends, Douglas is remembered as quiet, forthright, and a stout friend to all. He is survived by his brother Philip. A graveside Memorial Service will be held September 8th, 11 a.m., at Saint Brigit's Cemetery in Brooklyn.

Explorers coming down from the fifth floor report that it is absolutely packed with reporters, all hoping to see Starkweather who is locked in his room.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:18 pm
by Henrik
Olof was perplexed. This expedition had not even started and it seemed to be riddled with problems. If you solved one problem, two other would show up. Commander Douglas murdered? Olof did not for one second believe that it was a coincidence. Where there was smoke, there usually was a fire to be found.

"So what do you think about this?" the engineer said. It was an open question not aimed at a particular investigator. "I do not think it is a coincidence."

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:43 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean became very weary now. A death before he joined, and a death now. The removal of Clark, and the endless trouble involving the cargo making a hurried trip evident.

There is something very big here, this trip may not be such a great idea...

With the mention of a surviving brother, Sean questions whether there may be enough time to talk to him about everything that has happened with his brother in the past and present.

You're no expert gumshoe Sean, might be best to speak with a few of the more experienced members of the expedition about it

Sean begins reviewing in his mind what information he does know. It comes to mind that the 1930 expedtion has one known survivor left? Is he next? Sean begins looking for Jack to speak with him about all that has happened, if anything it will eliviate Jack's belief that Sean is here to steal his work.

"Excuse me Jack..."

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:43 pm
by Decrepit
Looks like I'm absolved of the reporting on this one, Jack thinks. This all just keeps getting stranger and stranger. Best to meet with the others after this latest storm blows over and regroup. I also need to get some of that other research done, too, and soon.

Caught up in his thoughts, Jack finally notices Sean trying to get his attention. He might be all right, Jack thinks, but compared to us, he's practically a newborn babe. The team had already been through so much, and they were still in New York.

"Yes, Sean?"

Unwelcome news

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:25 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven could scarcely believe it. But there it was in black and white, Commander Douglas dead on arrival after being thrown into the bay.

far too many strange things had been happening on the trip, and the pilot was starting to feel a little spooked. He was planning on getting Jack to help him question the veteran skipper about the notes they had been getting, and now this happens within a day of it being announced that he was joining the starkweather-moore expedition.

It was time to take a trip to the room douglas had and check it out like they had with lawrence, maybe even check with the brother of Cmdr Douglas, see if knew anything.

They had to get lucky at some point and figure out what the hell was going on. Getting dressed quickly he gets out of room and goes out looking for Jack.

Getting downstairs he powers his way throught the press pack and spots the hack talking with Mcphearson the photograhper. He makes his way towards them, still clutching the morning newspaper

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:30 pm
by Charles Graves
With everyone busy following their own leads, Graves tries to decide how best to make himself useful.

"Gunner old chap, I'm going to see an acquaintance of mine at police headquaters, a Commissioner Bolan, if you'd care to come along. Let's see what we can find out about the murder of Commander Douglas."

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:37 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum doesnt really feel like doing any more investigating at the moment. "As soon as I'm done with breakfast, I'm heading back to the docks. I feel the need for some good, honest hard work. All the death and deceipt surrounding this mission is extremely disconcerting. I think we should seriously consider employing some additional security. Both here at the hotel, and down at the ship and warehouse.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:58 am
by Mister Juan
For the past few days, Isugtag had kept mostly to himself, silently putting his strong arms to work around the docks. What little conversation he had entertained had been with his fellow polar guide, Callum. The Scot mountaineer share his appreciation of a job well done, and checking the cargo manifest in his company had confirmed the fact they worked well together. Callum’s knowledge about mountain environments had also impressed the Inuit. His own experience was restricted to the Rockies and Appalachians, nothing like the great peaks of the Himalayas. Isugtag, who had at first some doubt about the expertise a Scot could bring on the topic of polar survival, was now glad Callum was aboard.

His respect for his fellow expedition members was only growing in days. The skills of the polar guides had also reassured him a great deal. Since being charged with “security” he had felt slightly overburdened by the new duty. But now, when they would be on the ice, he wouldn’t have to worry so much: they were all good men who knew their jobs.

Since the morning of the 5th, the already rather silent Inuit had kept even more to himself. He had barely spoken a single word, beside his customary “good morning” and “good evening”.

On the morning of the 6th, Isugtag woke up early, as usual. On the bedside table, one of his Colt Revolver was laid to rest, it’s chamber fully loaded. Since the past nightmare he had been gifted with, he had kept the weapon at hand. Something bad was coming their way. Something very bad. To the very core of his being, he could feel it. His people spoke of ancestor spirits that brought warning before the hunt. Apparently… the spirits were already at work.

Once dressed, Grey Wolf took a hold of the revolver, sliding in it one of the inside pocket of his vest. Grabbing the second one from a nearby drawer, he tucked it in his heavy leather belt, in the small of his back. As he exited his room and headed for the lobby, to smoke his morning pipe and read the paper, Isugtag was rather surprised to notice an impressive amount of reporter massed around Moore’s door. When he looked down at the newspaper he had picked up just outside his room, he immediately understood.

One death was possible. Two was getting awfully suspect.

Taking a seat in one of the plush armchair, Isugtag began to read the article, all the while keeping some attention toward the conversation his fellow expedition members were having. Even though he didn’t voice his opinion, the Inuit had to agree with Callum: security was becoming a major concern.

What bothered Isugtag even more was that very few people knew where Douglas was staying. The crime could have very well been a random act of violence… but things were just simply not adding up. Calmly, he folded the newspaper in two and gently settled it on a nearby table. The daily meeting with Moore and Starkweather would probably be delayed, and Isugtag had one thing he wanted to verify. As he began stuffing his pipe, he simply walked out of the room and headed for the main floor exit.

Out on the already busy New York street, Isugtag scratch a match an lit his pipe. Looking up at the sky, he wondered if it was going to rain.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:17 pm
by Raiko
As he is crossing the room towards Jack and Sean, McRaven notices Isutag leaving the Rose Room, and making for the hotel doors, he has a look of determination on his face, and McRaven wonders what the Inuit guide is up to.

Hearing that Callum will be heading back to the docks Nils says, “I will join you.” Meanwhile he brother agrees to accompany Professor Graves.

About a minute after Isugtag has left the Rose Room, another man walks in. He is a nondescript man with short cropped dark hair and keen eyes wearing a grey overcoat, he takes a seat by the door, and takes out a reporter’s notepad. He seems intent on observing the inhabitants of the Rose Room, and starts to take notes.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:52 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven stops as he sees the guide walking out the door and making for the main-doors out onto the street. The inuit was was frowning, his brow coming together "A face like thunder" thought McRaven.

He places his paper on the table next to Jack and leans over to whisper in his ear. "Hey Jack, do me a favour, check that guy out thats just come in...he bothers me for some reason"

Having said that he turns and heads out, following the Inuit. He sees him pause outside and lights his pipe while looking up at the sky.
he comes up alongside the indian and looks over to him.

"Going somewhere Isutag?"

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:01 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean now with Jack's attention speaks quietly.

"I'm not much of reporter, or investigator rather. However, I have a feeling something deeper is going on. I figured with you being an investigative type, what do you feel is going on here?"

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:59 pm
by Mister Juan
Pulling some smoke from his now lit pipe, Isugtag gave McRaven a simply nod as a form of greeting.

As he exhaled, his eyes went from the clouded morning sky to his fellow expedition member. "Yes McRaven, I am going somewhere." was all he said as his hand went up to flag a taxi down.

Opening it's door, he held it so McRaven could take a seat.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:00 pm
by Henrik
Olof follows whoever is going to the police station.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:24 pm
by OrionUK
At the Rose Hotel as soon as James gets a chance he talks quietly to Jack, Sean & Graves and anyone else within the close vicinity "I have had a chat to Moore & would like to let you know what I have learnt if any of you can spare a moment"

Off on a trip

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:42 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven smiles slightly and enters the cab waiting for the inuit to get in.
"You can call me Bill Isugtag, so whats the plan?"

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:59 pm
by Mister Juan
Snapping the door shut behind him, the big Inuit leaned forward toward the driver.

"440 Scammel Street"

He leaned back in the seat, turning toward McRaven. Even in his heavily accented english, it wasn't difficult to notice his seriousness.

"Not many people knew where Commander Douglas was staying; only Starkweather, Moore and..." he turned his attention to the passing street "myself."

He brought his pipe to his mouth.

"I was to pick him up at his hotel, later today. This is where we are going."

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:00 pm
by Raiko
The Rose Room – Amherst Hotel, New York
09:20am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

As Professor Graves, Olof and Gunnar get up to leave for the NYPD Headquarters, the stranger sat by the door stands up and discretely blocks their way out of the room.

“I wonder if I could have a word gentlemen. I’m Detective Hanson, NYPD Homicide. He takes his shield out of his overcoat pocket and shows it to them. He also nods to Jack, who he spots across the room, apparently they’ve met before.

[OOC: I’ve forgotten to post the picture of Hansen onto imageshack, and I can’t to it now until I get home. The photo is of Bruce Willis, I’m pretty sure it’s from Last Man Standing]

Westbury Hotel – 440 Scammel Street, Lower East Side, New York
09:40am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

“Sure thing bud, that’s a rough area y’know.”

The taxi ride to the Westbury Hotel on Scammel Street takes nearly thirty minutes, the hotel lies in a particularly seedy area of Manhattan’s notorious Lower East Side between the Williamsburg and Manhattan Bridges. Getting there the taxi had to slowly crawl its way through the busy streets of downtown Manhattan and then through heavy Lower East Side traffic swollen by Brooklyn commuters entering the island using the two bridges.

When the taxi eventually arrives outside the Westbury Hotel, it is not an impressive sight. A battered sign proudly displays “WES RY HOT” above a beaten black doorway. The place looks like little more than a flophouse. Nothing at all like the comfy and expensive hotel that the expedition members are staying at.

Litter and worse things clog the gutters of the dingy potholed street, and shadowed figures watch the taxi suspiciously from the doorways and walkways of nearby tenements. Laundry lines crisscross the street in every direction.

Looking out from their taxi McRaven and Isugtag see that the shops that are adjacent to the Westbury on either side have both been boarded up, one looks burnt out. To make matters worse, it has begun to rain, as Isugtag suspected, The heavy downpour has nowhere to go, due to the clogged gutters, so it pours straight off the buildings and sidewalks into the street, which is now a fast flowing river a half inch deep.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:40 pm
by Decrepit
I've been wanting to talk with the police, and now they come to me, Jack thinks. He could've done worse than Hanson. He's had a chance to work with him before and found him to be a good cop. But, like, all coppers, Hanson will have his own agenda, and it might or might not line up with Jack's own. Best to play things carefully, especially as he hasn't had much time to talk to the others. Of course, as far as Jack knows, none of them have anything to hide, but still ...

"Detective," Jack says. "Good to see you again. It's been a while. What can i do for you?"

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:37 pm
by Mister Juan
Stepping out of the cab and ankle deep into the murky water, Isugtag didn’t even bother to shield himself from the rain. His long black and gray hair became soaked in a mere second, sticking to his face and head. But the Inuit cared very little. He cared even less about the decrepit nature of the neighborhood, the danger they probably were already in, and the untold things that floated around in the street. Isugtag had slept in flooded trenches where weeks old dead bodies floated amongst the rats. This… This was far from disturbing.

He stood still for a few seconds, his trained hunter eyes panning up the hotel’s run down façade. Of all the places Douglas could have chosen, Isugtag wondered why this one. Was Commander Douglas such a recluse he could only find peace in places forgotten by most?

After throwing a rapid glance over his shoulder toward McRaven, Isugtag finally hoped on the sidewalk and walked in a rather decisive pace toward the hotel’s door.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:52 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum heartilly slaps Nils on the back "Excellent my friend lets get this job finished once and for all!"

Stepping outside the cheery Scot hails the nearest cab and ushers Nils inside. Getting in himself, Callum quickly gives tells the cabbie where to go.

Out of the frying pan...

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:17 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven steps out of the cab, and turns to the driver handing him a 10spot
"Stay here and keep the metre running"
With that he moves quickly to step into line with the indian as they head towards the run down hotel.

It didn't make sense to McRaven, this was a place for broken men, down on their luck and one step away from the poor house...or worse. The rain only helped to add to the atmosphere of misery and crushed hopes this flea pit seemed to exude from every window and rotten gutter.

"Isugtag...Did Douglas ask to come here?"

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:32 pm
by Mister Juan
The Inuit's hand wrapped itself around the door's handle.

"I don't know. He wanted to be away from the press... Let's find out."

He pushed the door open.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:42 pm
by Raiko
09:20am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

“I’m investigating the death of Commander JB Douglas. I’m here to speak talk to Starkweather,” Hansen says, “not that he, or any of you, are serious suspects in this case. Mr Starkweather seems to have most of New York’s press trying to squeeze into his suite at the moment, so I thought I’d come and talk to some of his team. I take it that you are all members of the expedition?”

“Good,” he continues, “now then, first of all do any of you know Douglas personally, and can you think of any reasons that somebody might have wanted him dead?”

“Also, we haven’t managed to establish exactly where Douglas was staying in town yet, can any of you help?”

Pier 74 – New York
09:32am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

When Callum and Nils’ taxi pulls up alongside Pier 74 they can both see that the gates and offices have been locked up, there appears to be no activity around the Gabrielle itself. It has just started to rain heavily, but despite the weather a number of people are loitering on the street around Pier 74.

Spotting the taxi pull up, most of them start to converge on the vehicle. Judging by the number of notepads and cameras present they all appear to be journalists.

The interior of the Westbury is not much better than the outside, it is impossible to tell what colour the mouldy threadbare carpet was originally, the walls and ceiling are stained brown from tobacco fumes, and there is a pervasive smell of alcohol and body odor.

The clerk, sat behind the dirty reception desk, is a narrow faced, balding man in rumpled clothes. He looks up suspiciously when Isugtag and McRaven enter the hotel.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:54 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves shakes hands with the policeman."Unfortunately, I doubt that I'll be of much help to you Detective. I never had the opportunity to meet Commander Douglas and I have no idea where he was to be staying. I wish I could be of more assistance."

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:52 pm
by Decrepit
"And I'm not going to be much more help, Detective," Jack says. "Starkweather was going to have me meet with Douglas, but that never happened ... and never will now, obviously. I don't know any more than that, really."

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:12 pm
by Ghost_1971
"I dont like the look of this Nils. Where is every one?" Opening the door Callum steps out into the rain. "We need to find a telephone and talk to Moore. Come on Nils. I think I'll need some help getting through these newshounds."

checking in

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:56 pm
by Steerpike
Seeing the sour expression on the desk clerks face, makes Mcraven wince inwardly, wishing that Jack or someone else with smoother manners was here. He keeps his gaze fixed on the clerk and whispers to Isutag.

"Do you know which room the commander was given? How do you want to play this?"

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:29 pm
by Raiko
09:21am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Detective Hanson shrugs and says, “Well thanks for your time anyway. If you don’t mind saying, what were you doing around midnight last night?”

“Just for the record, obviously.”

Pier 74 – New York

As Callum and Nils step out of the cab they are surrounded by the pack of reporters, they all ask the same questions:

“Did you know Command Douglas

“Why do you think he was killed?”

“Will this stop the expedition departing?”

“Two deaths? Is the expedition cursed?”

The weasel faced hotel manager looks all the more suspiciously at the two investigators as they whisper by the door.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:45 pm
by Henrik
"I was sleeping in my hotel room, detective. We had all worked hard preparing for the coming voyage. Was Commander Douglas murdered around that time? Edward boldly counterquestions the detective hoping that he would not take offense.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:56 pm
by Ghost_1971
God Damn Reporters!

"The answer to all of your questions is no!" says a scowling Callum "Now if you dont mind, please Sod Off and let us see whats going on."

"Okay Nils, now make like a battering ram and get us through these idiots please."

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:42 pm
by Decrepit
"I was asleep in my room as well, detective," Jack replies.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:57 pm
by Charles Graves
"I would have been in my room as well. At that time I was probably listening to the news on the BBC World Service, it alway helps me to drop off."

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:31 pm
by Raiko
09:21am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Hansen smiles at the Professor’s joke, “Ok, well thanks for the help anyway, I’ll just ‘circulate’ a little now.”

The detective spends the next quarter if hour collaring as many members of the SME Expedition team as possible, but nobody has any information about the Commander to share with him.

09:40am

Eventually as Hansen is about to give up and head upstairs to Starkweather, Jack manages to get him alone in a quiet corner of the Rose Room.

“Hi Jack. What’s up?”

Pier 74 – New York

The reporters try all they can to stop Callum and Nils from pushing past, standing in their way and grabbing at coat sleeves, but in the end they are no match for the two powerful mountaineers.

When they finally force their way through to the pier’s security gate, they find that it is indeed locked tight. A lone security guard can be seen beyond the fence, he walks over when he hears Callum shout.

“I’ll sorry sir the Pier is locked up for the day, Professor Moore called early this morning and said that loading will be postphoned by a day.”

Isugtag shakes his head, “No just the hotel address.”

“Moore said he was only due in town today.”

Fortune favours the bold

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:14 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven nods then starts walking towards the reception desk.

He's not sure he can bluff this guy, he's pretty certain they don't have enough money to bribe the ugly SOB, so it's gonna have to be done on the sly, and the best way to that thinks McRaven is.....

"We need a room for the day, how much?"

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:45 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves explains to those he was going to see the Police Commissioner with that he will have to go later as at the moment he needs to assess the suitability of the doctor who may be replacing Dr Michaels.

He excuses himself and jumps in a taxi to meet the medic for an interview.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:13 pm
by Decrepit
In hushed tones, Jack replies, "This is going to seem a little odd, coming from a reporter and all, but ... what are you hearing about the expedition? Starkweather and Moore have us on such a tight leash I can barely get away.

"There's definitely something odd going on here," Jack continues. "I'm not saying anyone's done anything, but two deaths in such a short span strains belief, you know?"

Jack stops there, waiting for a reply, a sense of how what he's saying is going over. There's more to be said, but, he thinks, there's no reason to spill his guts out to the wrong person.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:41 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Hmm.... Because of Commander Douglas I suppose. Ok thanks for your help. Could I possibly use your phone? I need to talk to Professor Moore urgently."

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:19 am
by Raiko
Pier 74 – New York
09:35am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

“Sure thing Mr McDonald, you two come right through.”

The security guard unlocks the heavy padlock from the gate and ushers Callum and Nils through, he manages to close the gate again without any of the reporters following through.

“Come with me sir.” He leads the two explorers to his small office and lets them inside, “The telephone’s right there.”

Outside the Amherst Hotel, New York

Professor Graves grabs a cab and sets off for Doctor Greene’s Brooklyn townhouse.

Meanwhile back inside the Rose Room…

“That’s very interesting Jack, I’ve come to the same conclusion, there’s something suspicious going on with this expedition.”

“When we fished Douglas’ body out of the East River he still had twenty bucks in his wallet, so that rules out robbery. We figure his death likely had something to do with this expedition.”

“That’ll be two dollars a night, payable in advance,” the manager hands over the key to room 27, glancing at the register book open on the desk, McRaven notices that JB Douglas was staying in room number 23, the adjacent room (21) appears to be vacant, the previous resident checked out this morning.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:30 am
by Decrepit
"That's interesting, detective," Jack replies.

"I wish I could tell you more, but all I have are questions and no answers. For instance, Starkweather seems rather, um, passionately concerned about the Lexington expedition somehow interfering, sabotaging ours. Odd, yes?

"By the way, I seem to remember reading something about Miss Lexington and the death of her father. Wasn't there something odd about that?"

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:32 pm
by Henrik
"I remember something about a missing book, supposedly an unique edition of a book by that author... Poe something?" Olof was not so knowledgable in American literature, having been forced mostly to study the Swedish classics of the 19th century. He had not enjoyed the experience. "Ms. Lexington stated later that she believed that the book was not gone at all, didn't she?"

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:45 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum lifts the handset and dials the Armherst "Professor Moore please. Its Callum McDonald speaking......"

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:09 pm
by Raiko
09:41am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Turning to Olof, Hansen says, “Yes I think you’re right. It’s before my time as a detective though, I was just a rookie then.”

“As far as I can remember, she found the book later. She’d alleged that her father was murdered by burglars, but the evidence clearly suggested suicide. It’s quite common for the relatives of suicides to search for another answer in their grief though.”

Pier 74 – New York

”Yes I’ll put you right through sir.”

The phone at the other end rings and rings…

”I’m sorry sir Professor Moore doesn’t seem to be in his room.”

Nils pats Callum on the shoulder, “Try Starkweather

”I’m sorry sir Mr Starkweather’s phone is engaged, perhaps you could call back later?”

Brooklyn – New York
10:22am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Professor Graves’ taxi pulls up outside the address of Doctor Richard Greene, the potential replacement for Clark.

Greene is an old friend of Moore, they have worked together before, he lives in a large Brown House in a leafy Brookyn suburb.

This part of Brooklyn seems to be avoiding the downpour that’s pouring on Manhattan, but it’s very, very overcast and quite windy. As he steps out the cab, Graves hears the low rumble of thunder in the distance.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:39 pm
by Decrepit
"Ah, yes, you're right, gentlemen," Jack says. "It was about a book. I'm trying to remember now who did work on that case ... O'Meira, I think. Do you happen to know if he's still on the force, detective? I don't honestly think that any of this has anything to do with the expedition--how could it?--but there are a lot of odd loose ends."

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:42 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Ok. I'll do that. Thanks anyway."

Putting the phone back on the cradle Callum enquires "Shall we go onboard the Gabrielle and do some more chores then Nils? It would be a shame to waste this time we have."

B & E not B & B

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:36 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven notices the room number for Cmdr Douglas and signs his name as Mr J Smith and signs in Isugtag as Mr S Jones. He also takes a quick mental note of who had the room next to douglas.

"Listen mac" he says to the desk clerk "my indian friend here is a little superstitious, what do you say to 5 bucks on top of the two and let us have room 21?"

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:23 pm
by Charles Graves
After paying the cabbie, Graves turns up the collar of his longcoat against the bracing wind, walks to the front door and rings the bell.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:35 am
by Raiko

“Sure thing buddy, for five bucks he could have my room!”

McRaven and Isugtag climb the stairs to the second floor, they find that there is a beat cop stood outside room 23, he hardly glances at them as they open the door to room 21.

Once inside, they find that the room is dirty and smelly, the beds have been made, though the blankets are grubby. A small window looks out onto the street, where they can see their cab waiting.

Another door connects this room to room 23 next door…

Brooklyn – New York
10:22am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Professor Graves is greeted at the door by Richard Greene, a young athletic looking man with brown hair, he stands a little under six feet tall. Once the professor has introduced himself he bids him inside, “Come inside and make yourself at home Professor, would you like a coffee?”

Pier 74 – New York
The morning - Wednesday 6th September, 1933
Nils and Callum busy themselves checking the cargo lists, although there aren’t any stevedores working today, at least the danger of the constantly moving cranes is absent for a day.

Over the course of the first hour several other expedition members join them in the holds and the warehouse, others turn back when they see the locked gate and the growing crowd of journalists.

Neither Moore nor Starkweather turn up at the docks all day.

“Yeah, O’Meara’s a lieutenant now, my lieutenant in fact. I’ll ask him about it if you like. I don’t expect it relates to any of this, but I don’t like loose ends.”

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:42 pm
by Henrik
"We'd appreciate that, detective. I hope we can be of further help in your investigation. We're usually around here if you want to get in touch with us."

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:03 pm
by Charles Graves
"I would love a coffee thank you Dr Greene."

The Professer takes a seat and conducts the interview with the medic.

After only a few minutes it has become obvious to Graves that Dr Greene would be a terrific addition to the expedition. He tells the interviewee that he will be giving a whole-hearted recomendation to Captain Starkweather.

"Please may I borrow your phone Doctor, I need to call for a taxi."

When the taxi arrieves he bids Dr Greene Farewell and returns to the hotel.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:04 pm
by Charles Graves
"I would love a coffee thank you Dr Greene."

The Professer takes a seat and conducts the interview with the medic.

After only a few minutes it has become obvious to Graves that Dr Greene would be a terrific addition to the expedition. He tells the interviewee that he will be giving a whole-hearted recomendation to Captain Starkweather.

"Please may I borrow your phone Doctor, I need to call for a taxi."

When the taxi arrieves he bids Dr Greene Farewell and returns to the hotel.

no time to lose

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:47 pm
by Steerpike
Realising that he and Isugtag have little time, Mcraven with the help of the inuit conduct a quick check of the room they are in. It has clearly been cleaned, but Mcraven decides to check some of the more usual places anyway. Starting with the waste paper basket, the wardrobe then under the bed.
OOC:   with that out of the way, Mcraven then checks the door connecting to room 23. Listening first then checking to see if it is unlocked, then checking to see if the door can be picked or forced open with simple pressure rather than brute force.  

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:27 pm
by Raiko
09:42am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

“Thanks, I’ll see you around,” Hansen is about to leave, then turns back to Jack and Olof:

“Before I go, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your take on Starkweather and Moore? Could either of them have enemies that would go after Douglas

09:55am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Isugtag and McRaven make a quick search of this room, but it reveals no clues left by the previous occupant. The rain outside is showing no sign of easing, and the wind has picked up, Isugtag thinks that there’s a storm brewing.

Turning his attention to the door McRaven first listens, then peers through the keyhole, the adjacent room seems to be empty for now. Looking more closely at the lock, he determines that it’s cheap and should be easily picked; however he also notices fine scratching on the mechanism that seems to indicate that someone has picked it before, and quite recently too.

Brooklyn – New York
10:35am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Professor Graves’ taxi departs from outside Greene’s Brownhouse just as the rain starts, by the time it joins the traffic leaving Long Island across the Manhattan Bridge, the rain has become torrential and the sky is constantly illuminated by lightning.

Pier 74 – New York
Lunchtime - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Nils and Callum get down to another hard day’s graft at the docks, they spend much of the morning helping Pulaski and Frodesen to transfer the malamute dogs from their transit cages into the now completed kennels in the #5 tween deck hold. However just before lunch they find themselves helping Professor Griffith and his assistant Charlie Porter to search for the crate of caustic soda canisters from list#7. The warehouse records show that it has been delivered and placed in the warehouse, but now it’s vanished.

Eventually they give up the search, “It’s not as if it’s anything valuable,” says the Professor, he sends Charlie away to a local laboratory supply house with $10 from the expedition funds to purchase some replacement soda.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:06 pm
by Decrepit
"That's what we need to find out, detective," Jack says. "So far, all we have are vague suspicions about Lexington and her expedition. Starkweather seems too entirely bent out of shape about that for something not to be going on. Where's there's smoke, as they say.

"You know me well enough, detective, to know that I normally don't talk this freely about a story, but, well, this time my life's involved, not just my journalistic credibility, whatever that is.

"Maybe we can help each other," Jack continues. "I have to be careful, being on the inside and all, but there's enough I'm not being told to worry me.

"How about I come along with you to talk with O'Meira for starters?"

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:14 pm
by Henrik
"I'd be interested in following to the Police Station, Jack. Two heads are wiser than one." Olof wasn't sure if the Swedish proverb would translate so well into English.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:17 pm
by OrionUK
James approaches Professor Griffith as he is getting a bit suspicious of the amount of errors on the lists. "Professor which company is responsible for the delivery of the caustic soda canisters?"

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:15 am
by Raiko
09:42am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Detective Hansen nods, “Sure, why not. I’m not sure what O’Meara will make of it, but you’ve both been co-operative so maybe we can help each other out. I’m going to talk to Starkweather and Professor Moore now, but if you don’t mind waiting a little while I’ll meet you both on the way out.”

Just across the room…

Gunnar walks across to Sean, “Hello I was supposed to be accompanying Professor Graves to the Police Headquarters, but now he’s shot off somewhere alone. I’m quite excited to be a detective like some of our friends though, and I doubt that Moore will make it to the docks today with everything that is happening.”

“Maybe you’d like to give me a hand, I’m sure that you’re a better detective than me! I was thinking of going to the Public Library first.”

Outside NYPD Headquarters – New York
11:10am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

After a journey of about half an hour Graves’ taxi finally pulls up outside the NYPD’s imposing Headquarters Building.

Pier 74 – New York

Griffith looks through the paperwork and says, “The soda was supplied by Irving Laboratory Supplies of Brooklyn, but as you can see here,” he points to a receipt note attached to his clipboard, “the crate was received and put into the warehouse on the thirtieth of August, all the paperwork is in order. So it’s obviously been misplaced or stolen since then.”

He looks at James, Callum and Nils in turn, “It is only a minor item, and young Porter will soon be back with a fresh supply, do you think it’s worth making a fuss about?”

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:50 am
by OrionUK
James looks at the receipt Prof Griffith is holding to see if he can make out a signature of who took delivery "it may only be a small item but it is one of a few that have gone missing which indicates that we have theives oporating in this area or someone is purposley delay the expedition"

If James cannot make out a signature he will try to ascertain who has taken delivery from the people working at the ship or he will visit the suppliers, if needs must, to see if the delivery driver has any recolection.

revelations

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:08 pm
by Steerpike
He feels a cold shiver run down his spine, forcing him to shudder slightly.

"I think the murderer may well have stayed overnight in this room, quickly isugtag, hand me your pipe cleaner"

McRaven waits for his companion to hand over the little hooked implement for cleaning pipes and goes to work on the lock.

"If only my parents could see me now" He says to no one in particular.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:29 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum nods in agreement with James "I think the amount of things that have been 'misplaced' is very suspicious, and could point to some one working for the opposition. I think we should start handling the security of our warehouse, ourselves. I would be prepared to move my belongings out of the Armherst and stay down here until we are ready to set sail. What do you think Nils? James?"

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:08 pm
by Raiko
09:57am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

With an audible ‘click!’ McRaven manages to pick the door’s cheap lock. He carefully opens the door, and with Isugtag takes a look inside the adjacent room.

The room is in disarray, all of Douglas’s belongings lay scattered across the floor, cloths, books, and papers are everywhere. The bedclothes have been ripped off, and the mattress slashed open. The wardrobe and bedside drawers emptied, and the rooms small chair is overturned.

This is clearly not the result of a search by the cops. It will also be difficult to search quietly through the mess, without alerting the cop outside the door.

Detective Hansen’s Car – 7th Avenue, New York
10:50am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Hansen spends almost an hour upstairs with the two Expedition Leaders, but when he eventually comes back downstairs he is as good as his word, and invites Jack and Olof to return to the Headquarters with him.

Once they are on the road Hansen looks thoughtful and says, “When I spoke to Moore he confirmed that only him, Starkweather and an Eskimo guy called ‘Isatug’ or something knew where Douglas was staying. Do you guys know this Eskimo at all?”

Pier 74 – New York

Nils nods at Callum’s suggestion, “Yes, compared to the ice this warehouse is almost a Hotel anyway.”

Examining the shipping receipts James sees that the caustic soda crate was signed in by Bill Jackson. As far as he can remember Jackson is the guy guarding the gate today.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:06 pm
by Decrepit
"Isatug seems like an all right fellow," Jack says, "though he keeps his own counsel. I've barely spoken to him, and I hadn't met him before the first meeting in New York.

"Did Starkweather or Moore say anything else interesting?" Jack asks. "I think as long as we're working together here, at least for now, we need to know what each other knows."

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:21 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Ok then. I'll clear it with Moore. He can let Isutag know what we plan on doing, and the hotel can send down the last of my things. If you have a firearm I think you should get it."

Callum calls the hotel to speak to Moore, then goes to the Gabrielle to retrieve his rifle and some camping gear for sleeping in the warehouse.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:01 pm
by OrionUK
James nods to Callum "I will move in down here too, do either of you want to accompany me to have a chat with Bill Jackson?"

having a quick look.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:41 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven looks round to Isugtag and motions for him to take off his shoes

"I'm no good at sneaking around" He whispers to the Indian "It'll have to be you. Move quietly, pick up any scraps of paper, anything that looks important, like a diary or notebook, I don't think we are going to have too long here, so do the best you can...I'll keep an eye out"

McRaven then heads over to window, looking down on to the cab...then at his watch...wondering if he should call down to the front desk and ask them to send the cab away...McRaven knows if more cops show up that cab is going to be a big giveaway...he reaches for the phone his mind made up.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:03 pm
by Henrik
"Isutag seems to be an alright fellow and a skilled guide. I haven't spoken with him either. I have mostly spoken with the Norwegian guides. A little bit closer to home, so to say."

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:45 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean Smiles to Gunnar.

"Sure thing"

Sean felt somewhat lost with all the recent events and his lack of any evidence on his last library trip, he decided to let the others figure things out if there was anything to figure out and he'd not dedicate so much time to it.

Best to keep a level head he thought.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:03 am
by Raiko

Quiet as a mouse the big Inuit guide begins to search the dead commander’s ransacked hotel room.

The hotel manager answers McRaven’s call and doesn’t sound too happy about going into the heavy rain to send the taxi away, but obviously he’s still grateful for the extra $5 that the pilot slipped him. Putting the phone down and walking over to the hotel room’s window McRaven sees the manager step over to the waiting taxi, a few seconds later the taxi drives away.

New York Public Library, New York
10:15am – Wednesday 6th September, 1933

When Sean and Gunnar step out of the rain into the city's massive public library, Gunnar who is very impressed with the size of the place, turns to his companion and asks, “Where should we start, any ideas?”

Detective Hansen’s Car – 7th Avenue, New York
10:51am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Hansen shrugs, “Moore hasn’t even spoken to Douglas. Starkweather has, but he seems to think that everything is the fault of Acacia Lexington. I don’t really believe that she’s going to have Douglas killed just to get a head start on your expedition, and besides, from what I’ve heard Douglas hasn’t actually agreed to join up.”

As he stops his car in a queue of traffic, the detective looks across at Jack before continuing, obviously seeing if he gets a reaction, “He was in town to talk with both Starkweather and Lexington.”

Pier 74 – New York

Nils looks at James with new respect, clearly the tough polar guide did not expect this rich young Engishman to agree to leave his cosy penthouse and sleep at the warehouse.

He nods, and offers James a handshake, “Maybe you will survive the ice after all. You are not as soft as I thought.”

When the three men make their may over to the security office Callum calls the hotel, while James and Nils talk to Jackson the guard.

“Yeah I think I remember that crate, can’t be sure though. I mean we’ve had lots of stuff delivered. I’m sure it went into the warehouse.”

Meanwhile Callum once again fails to get hold of Moore, his room is still empty, and Starkweather’s phone is constantly engaged.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:12 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum sighs with frustration. "Could you please take a message to Professor Moores' room then please. Tell him that Nils, James and I plan to move permanently to the warehouse until we set sail. We will be overseeing the security down here ourselves from now on. Give the same message to Isugtag, our large inuit friend."
"We would also like our personal posessions boxed up, and sent here as well please. Thank you very much for your help. Good bye now...."

Callum then goes to find Nils and James.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:44 pm
by Decrepit
"That is a surprise, detective," Jack says. "Starkweather left everyone with the impression that Douglas was definitely joining the expedition.

"Had Douglas talked to Lexington already?"

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:41 pm
by OrionUK
James returns Nils hand shake, pleased to be slowly making progress with his new found companions.

When Callum catches up with James and Nils "We should find out whom is in charge of the warehouse and expand our questioning there" James suggests.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:31 pm
by Raiko
Rooms 21 & 23, Westbury Hotel - 440 Scammel Street, Lower East Side, New York

As Isugtag stalks silently around the room he finds a few items of interest.

There are two photographs, their frames now smashed, one shows the two ships of the 1930 expediton, the Arkham and the Miskatonic, the other shows two men in their late middle years, they are undoubtedly brothers, the older one is in uniform and is presumably Commander Douglas.

Papers letters and personal effects are scattered throughout the room. Most of these aren't of any interest, but there are several small bound journals one for each year from 1920 to 1933. As he looks around the room Isugtag finds that the journals for 1930 & 1931 are both missing.

The wastebasket has been overturned, but what were balled up scraps of paper have been carefully 'unscrewed' and flattened out on the bedside table. Several crumpled sheets of handwritten paper hold potential clues:

* Starkweather, Amherst Hotel. WH-5040; 10:00am

* Gerald Blackman GR-7738

* Phillip - 10:40, 12:55, 3:10, 8:45 (overnight)

* Wykes, Grimes, Brewer - Purple Cup

* A. Lexington QB-0505 (there are several check marks against this phone number)

* A partially written letter from Douglas:

[OOC - Note all of the 4 digit numbers with 2 prefix letters are New York telephone numbers, also I've forgotten to scan the letter, I'll do it when I get home, but to summarise it for now - it's written to 'Phillip' and it makes it quite clear that Douglas thought that Starkweather was a nuisance and a lunatic, he had no intention of joining either expedition, and was quite shocked at Starkweather's tactics.]

As Isugtag is looking at the letter, McRaven sees three police cars pull up outside the Westbury.

New York Public Library - New York
10:15am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

"Maybe we should try to look into the supposed theft at the Lexington House first," says Gunnar, "it was something to do with a rare work by Poe wasn't it?"

Detective Hansen's Car - 7th Avenue, New York
10:51am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

"We're not sure Jack," replies the detective, his eyes back on the road again as the traffic resumes moving.

"I've not had chance to speak to Miss Lexington yet, not an easy woman to meet, and lots of good lawyers between her and me no doubt."

Pier 74 - New York

Nils pats Callum on the shoulder, "Gunnar will want to join us as well I think."

The hotel receptionist agrees to pass on Callum's message to Professor Moore as soon as possible.

Nils nods in agreement to James, "Yes we should speak to him. Michael Nelson is the foreman of the stevedores; he's in charge of the warehouse, but none of them are here today with Moore getting the pier locked up."

"I doubt he's the thief anyway, more likely one of his men."

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:04 pm
by Henrik
Olof chuckles at the detective's remark. Olof's father always said that lawyers were a neccessary evil.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:12 am
by Mister Juan
After rapidly scanning all the notes, Isugtag folded them carefully, trying to be as discreet as possible, and stashed them away inside his breast pocket.

There was no way to know if Douglas' murder was in any way related to the "bad luck streak" the whole expedition had been cursed with. But the concidences were too many to be simply concidences. Something bigger was a brew, and the big Inuit could feel it down to his bone.

Or maybe it was just his dreams that were making him nervous. After all, this whole world was still rather alien to him.

Slowly doublebacking out of the room, he threw a quick glance at McRaven, nodding toward the room's exit. He still wasn't quite sure what he had gotten... but time was short. He'd be able to ponder over it all once they were back at the hotel.

"Let's go" he whispered.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:29 am
by OrionUK
"Yes" James agrees with Nils "We should have a chat with Mr Nelson tomorrow, maybe have a scout around here this afternoon to see if we can uncover any clues as to where the missing items might be being taken and also find out who is the recruitment officer for the Stevedors at the docks, maybe they can provide information on the staff to see if anyone looks suspicious on paper"

"Callum are you ok doing some of the questioning with us?"

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:42 am
by Raiko
Nils laughs, "You are joking, yes?"

"They are all suspicious, if they weren't they wouldn't be doing manual labour on the docks."

"If the items have only been stolen by stevedores, I am not bothered, I am only worried about sabotage."

"Sabotage will cost lives, not money."

getaway

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:56 pm
by Steerpike
Mcraven nods and hands the indian his shoes.

With that he closes the door softly and locks it quickly. He takes out a handkerchief and wipes the handle...he'd read about this in a black mask magazine some months ago...and starts towards the door.

He motions for The inuit to stop and simply waits...waiting for the cops to arrive and perform their own search of the room...a lot of cops equals a lot of noise so once McRaven can hear them in the next room...

He opens the door and immeidately heads down the corridor and the stairs.
As they pass the cop at the door he makes a comment to Isugtag that
"This place is a flea pit we're not staying here"

Something else he'd read in black mask...he felt strangely excited by all this cloak and dagger, but also at the back of his mind was the feeling that this time they might have got lucky and got a clue.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:03 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean looked around at the huge inside aswell amazed.

"Yeah, Hopefully this won't be too damned difficult, but with the Lexington Fame we shouldn't have too much trouble digging something up"

Sean ponders if the Poe work has any sort of connection to all the creepy stories correlated with the past expeditions.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:15 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Yes I'd be happy to come with you." replies Callum. "Will you contact Gunnar, Nils, and get him to come here too? Maybe you could get him to pick up some locks. I wouldn't mind fitting a few of our own in place of the existing ones. Should slow them down a bit."

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:04 pm
by OrionUK
"Ok Nils of course I agree the stevedors are a suspicious lot but letting them know we are not going to take any of these delays anymore might force someone to make a mistake & we will then be ready"

James thinks of how they could flush out the person or persons responsible for the losses.

"If anyone has any ideas on how to set a trap to catch a sabotuer I will be more than happy to help - have any of the staff been showing signs of having more cash than usual I wonder"

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:22 pm
by Raiko
Lower East Side, New York

McRaven and Isugtag manage to get out of the Westbury without being stopped by any of the cops (there are now two talking to the manager, as well as the one outside Douglas’ room).

Then after ten minutes walking through the heavy rain they manage to get another taxi. Once inside Isugtag unfolds Douglas’ incomplete letter:

Douglas’ Letter (click to enlarge)

New York Public Library – New York

Gunnar looks thoughtful and says, “Well you never know, we’d need to see the book to find out I suppose. Miss Lexington said that their manuscript of Poe’s The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym was unique significantly different to the published edition, how could we find out without meeting her. The published version will obviously be here, but if the Lexington version truly is unique it still won’t help us.”

NYPD Headquarters – 240 Centre Street, New York
11:15am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

After what seems an eternity Jack and Olof are finally led into the detectives office at the NYPD Headquarters; ushering them through the rows of untidy desks Hansen takes them into the small glass walled office of Lieutenant O’Meara. As he closes the door behind him Jack spots Graves being escorted upstairs towards Commissioner Bolan’s offices, the professor spots Jack and waves cheerfully, but continues upstairs.

Looking up from his desk the big veteran cop raises his eyebrows and asks, “What’s up JJ

Hansen replies, “I know it’s a little unorthodox Lieutenant, but these two guys are with the Starkweather-Moore Expedition, they seem to be on the level, and I thought we could help each other out, off the record.”

“This is Jack Wilson from the Daily News, and his friend is Olof Eriksson, one of Starkweather’s engineers.”

O’Meara frowns, then says, “Ok then boys, how do you think we can help each other?”

[OOC: I know that Charles Graves won’t be able to post for a day or two, so you can meet up later if you like]

Pier 74 – New York

Nils shrugs, “As you wish James, but don’t you think it would be better not to reveal what we suspect.”

“We can stake out this warehouse without changing locks, or alerting the stevedores.”

“If at least two of us remain here at all times, once Gunnar and Isugtag arrive, we can just quietly keep an eye on things without making the thief or saboteur suspicious.”

If is obvious to both Callum and James that Nils is quite excited about this hunt, as he’s probably spoken more in the last ten minutes, than in the whole time since the formal dinner!

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:30 pm
by Henrik
"We appreciate that we can borrow some of your precious time, Lieutenant O'Meara. The Starkweather-Moore expedition has so far been a disaster, full of unfortunate events. Some of us begin to believe that these events are not just coincidences. So far we haven't been able to prove anything, and I sincerely hope that we never will... We are curious of an old case of yours, concerning the death of a Mr. Lexington. I'm sure that you have seen his daughter figuring in the papers. Could you tell us something about the case?" Olof turns to Jack for moral support, he's not sure that receiving any information about a police case is legal.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:43 pm
by Decrepit
Well, that was ... blunt, Jack thinks, glancing at Olof, but sometimes blunt is good. O'Meara may be a straight enough dealer to respect that. For the moment, Jack just sits back to see what happens.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:15 pm
by Raiko
NYPD Headquarters – 240 Centre Street, New York
11:15am - Wednesday 6th September, 1933

O’Meara laughs, “Well you don’t beat around the bush do you Mr Eriksson

“I can remember the case fairly well, because of the wealthy victim and Miss Lexington’s unusual claims I guess. I don’t see any problems discussing it with you; the case is long since closed.”

“As I recall Acacia was quite convinced at first that her father’s death was the result of a robbery. She claimed that a rare book had been stolen from her father’s library and that the robber had killed her father; but all of the evidence clearly pointed to suicide. There was no indication of a break in or a struggle, Lexington’s handgun was still at the scene, and powder marks clearly indicated that he’d shot himself.”

“She told us that the book, an original manuscript of The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe, contained several additional chapters that were never included in the published novel for some reason. Anyway a day or two later, Acacia located the book, and withdrew her claims. Case closed.”

O’Meara shrugs, “I’m not sure what this could have to do with your two Expeditions though,” he looks straight into Olof’s eyes and asks, “Now what are all these unfortunate events that you mentioned?”

“Because during a murder case, I never believe in coincidence.”

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:16 pm
by Decrepit
"It's all mostly just rumor and guesswork," Jack says. "That's partly why I'm--we're--here talking to you now, and at significant risk to our status as members in good standing of the expedition, I might add.

"Look, Starkweather's in a snit about Lexington. He sees her behind every corner, behind every mishap, great and small, that happens to the expedition. Me? I'm not sure what's going on, either, but I don't like conspiracy theories. I also don't like ending up dead, so I was hoping that you could tell me something I hadn't already read in the papers.

"But if you don't have anything more than that about Lexington and her father, I'm not sure we can really help each other here."

Jack waits, hoping this might goad O'Meara into tipping his hand, assuming that there was a hand yet to tip.

Back to base

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 pm
by Steerpike
Mcraven tells the cab to head to the docks

"Look Isugtag, we need to play carefully here. Starkweather has not been playing straight with us on a number of things. We make ourselves busy at the docks, talk to some of the guys there, put in some calls to the hotel and get the others over here. Away from starkweather, away from the press. We got a lot to talk about"

He slouches in the crumpled leather of rear seat of the cab and stares out to the rain swept streets.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:22 am
by Mister Juan
After reading the letter over a few times, forehead filled with deep wrinkles, the Inuit had handed it over to McRaven.

His reaction had been rather similar to his.

"I agree with you... Something is not quite right with all this. Too many things that shouldn't happen, are."

Isugtag flicked open his tobacco box and started filling his pipe again.

"I had a dream about our expedition." said Isugtag in a low, almost whispered voice.

His eyes seemed unfocused, as he kept filling his pipe in an instinctive manner... as if the motion was calming him down.

"I was drifting along a large white plaine... White and cold as far I as could see. Lonely fields of white that have not been passed by man or beast. I saw the moutains. I saw the Miskatonic Range. Even in the distance, their giant shadows casted darkness all around me. And then I felt it. Something haunting. Something alien."

Grey Wolf stopped in his tracks. He looked up from his seat over to McRaven... looking him straight in the eye.

"Something is waiting for us there William. Something cold. Pitiless and ancient… I know it. I can feel it in my bones. "

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:47 pm
by Henrik
"Well, we have been checking the expedition equipment during the last few days and it seems that many things have gone missing or are broken. I might just be my imagination. According to my experience half the job in engineering is to figure out why stuff isn't working and the other half is fixing them. But... we had that coincidence with the madman who wanted to kill Starkweather so I would not be surprised if he had took the liberty of destroying and stealing a few essential things. I can't prove anything though, so let it just remain a theory."

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:28 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven can't help supress a shudder at the Indians words, holding the mans gaze he says softly

"If anyone else had said that to me, I'd have laughed in their face, we need to get to docks and soon"

He leans forward so he can speak to the driver

"Hey mack, can you drive faster? this is something of an emergency"

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:59 pm
by BlackGoat
While still taking in his surroundings...

"Well, I suppose we just look up everything by Poe until we come across our desired title, then hopefully we can get some Info on the possibility of a duplicate, or even article on this 'unique' piece."

While rubbing his chin with his index and thumb...

"Best to also look up anything written about Poe, inspirations for his works, and pissibly find out if he often made unique works with text not including in the circulated editions, or if this particular title is entirely more unique than we had primarily understood. I just question what could be so significant in that unique piece that would cause such a commotion."

Sean now looks to Gunnar.

"That's just my take, do you have any suggestions?"

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:09 pm
by OrionUK
"Good thinking Nils, I hadn't thought of that aspect of the situation - we will play it your way for a day or two and keep our eyes peeled at all times"

James is dedicated to getting to the bottom of this and will do whatever it takes to find out what is happening.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:42 pm
by Raiko
NYPD Headquarters – Centre Street, New York
11:16am – Wednesday 6th September 1933

“Look I appreciate you guys coming to see me, so here’s what I’ll do.”

“The Lexington case was too long ago for me to remember any better off the top of my head, and I doubt that it has anything to do with the current case, but I’ll get someone to dig out my old notes. If you come back here tomorrow Jack you can look through them and follow things up yourself.”

“As I said, I doubt that there’s a connection, and I can’t spare any of my men to look into Acacia. Her lawyers would just get in the way anyway, so you’re welcome to use my old notes yourself, so long as you come to me with any evidence, I’ll get real angry if I find anyone obstructing a murder case. Fair?”

Pier 74 – New York
Lunchtime – Wednesday 6th September 1933

Mcraven and Isugtag’s taxicab pulls up on 12th Avenue outside the gates of Pier 74. Beyond the small group of reporters and the locked gate, they see Callum, James and Nils walking into the security office.

[OOC: I need to make a few rolls before I can post again for Sean and Gunnar – This will have to wait till I’m at home]

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:45 pm
by Decrepit
Without being entirely sure what he's agreeing to but realizing that he's nowhere on his own at this point, Jack says, "Fair enough. You fellows just have to be careful, though, not to ruin my position with Starkweather.

"I'll be back tomorrow."

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:36 pm
by Henrik
As they were leaving. Olof asked Jack: "O'Meara was unusually cooperative. Is it common that the police opens their archives to non-policemen in America?"

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:11 am
by Decrepit
"It's not all that common," Jack says, "but O'Meara probably needs some inside information as much as we do. I have to admit, I'm worried about entangling myself with the police and Starkweather--being a sort of double agent even--but Starkweather and Moore have kept critical bits from us.

"I assume that I can trust to your discretion in all of this." It's not really a question, but it's not hostile either, exactly.

Without waiting for a reply, Jack says, "Let's head back to the hotel, see what's up with the others."

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:13 pm
by Raiko
The Amherst Hotel – New York
11:45am – Wednesday 16th September, 1933

When they arrive back at the Amherst, Jack and Olof find that most of the others have gone to the docks.

1:30pm – Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Sean picks up a copy of The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket to loan, and with Gunnar sets about researching any information about a longer version of the book.

They don’t find any information about the “missing chapters,” and as this was the only novel that Poe wrote, it is difficult to judge whether the abrupt ending was Poe’s style. Sean does however uncover one strange news item, an Arthur G.Pym of Nantucket was one of thirty victims listed in a Huston Riverboat Fire, the article is dated Wednesday May 16th 1838, just a few weeks before Poe’s novel was published.

I forgot to make the rolls on Invisible Castle:
Sean McPhearson – Library Use (25%) = [12]
Sean McPhearson – Luck(70%) = [38]

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:18 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven pays the cabbie and pulling up the collar of his coat against the wind and rain, pushes his way through the throng of reporters.
Hoping that Isugtag is keeping pace, he heads for the security station were he saw the others go.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:55 pm
by Decrepit
"Shall we head for the docks then, Olof? We could try to find Starkweather or Moore, but I can't imagine what use they'd be to us. I feel as if we need to check in with the others."

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:20 pm
by Raiko
Pier 74 – New York

Jack and Olof’s taxi arrives at Pier 74 just in time for them to see McRaven and Isugtag shouldering their way through the reporters.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:49 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves enters the Commissioner's office and shakes his hand warmly. "Excellent to see you again old chap. Unfortunately, as you are well aware our expedition has befell yet another tragedy since our last meeting, with the murder of Captain Douglas. As the party's physician I am responsible for the health and wellbeing of the whole expedition so I was hoping that you may be able to shed some light on both murders - An 'Ivy League' / 'Oxbridge' meeting of minds shall we say." He smiles warmly, hoping to put the policeman off his guard."

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:05 pm
by Decrepit
"What's been going on, gentlemen?" Jack asks as he sees McRaven and Isugtag. "Olof and I just came from the hotel, and we heard nearly everyone was here."

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:13 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean intrigued by the information regarding the death shares his find with Gunnar

"I suppose now it's time to look up some information on this chap and see what turns up"

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:23 pm
by Raiko
Commissioner Bolan’s Office – NYPD Headquarters, Centre Street, New York
11:20am – Wednesday 6th September 1933

The Commissioner laughs, “I’m afraid I’m not exactly Ivy League Professor, I’ve been a cop all my life. And I really can’t discuss an ongoing murder investigation too much, but since you helped us out with Lawrence I’ll tell you what I can.”

“As you saw for yourself that Lawrence was a madman, who ended his own life. You’ve seen the autopsy reports and there isn’t any indication of foul play.”

“As to Commander Douglas; it’s unfortunate, but the part of town where he chose to stay is quite notorious. I expect it will turn out to be the result of a drunken dispute or a mugging. The only thing that concerns us is that Douglas still had his wallet, but it’s possible that the robber was disturbed before he found it.”

Pier 74 – New York

It’s crowded with the security watchman and seven explorers all packed into the small security office, but at least it’s dry here. Outside the heavy rain shows no sign of ever stopping.

The Afternoon – Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Sean and Gunnar spend the rest of the afternoon in the NYPL pouring over newspaper cuttings and other historical records, but can find nothing other than the riverboat fire to indicate that Arthur Pym was anything other than a fictitious creation of Poe.

Curiously though, follow on articles about the Hudson Riverboat fire indicate that it was a terrible act of arson, for which nobody was ever brought to justice.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:59 pm
by Charles Graves
After thanking Bolan for his valuable time, Graves heads to the Library. He arrives in time to see Sean and Gunnar leaning over a table crammed with books and old newspapers. From the beaming smile on Sean's face it appears they might have discovered something of interest.

"Good afternoon Gentlemen, is there anything I can do to help?"

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:59 pm
by Henrik
Olof greets McRaven and Isutag. He has not spoken at any greater length with them and is interested in what they have figured out.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:31 pm
by Decrepit
"What's the plan, gentlemen?" Jack asks, smiling. "I've found out very little, but there's a promise of more to come. Any news here?"

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:02 am
by OrionUK
"We have decided that the amount of things going missing ect to delay the expedition could be down to sabotage so have decided to move our belongings here to do further investigation"James replies to Jack

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:35 pm
by Decrepit
"Really?" Jack says. "Hoping to catch someone in the act, eh? Well, it's probably as good a plan as any. If it's all the same, I'm probably going to remain at the hotel, try to follow up some more leads. I need to head back to police headquarters tomorrow to look at some notes related to Miss Lexington. So maybe we can tackle the problem of sabotage from two different directions--if, indeed, Miss Lexington has anything at all to do with the sabotage, which I rather doubt.

"Anything I can bring you fellows?"

some answers and more questions

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:03 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven, nods to everyone assembled, then looks around to make sure it's just them, seeing the guards, begins to speak quietly.

"You all know what happened this morning. After the Lawrence thing, we were plenty spooked but this killing made it worse. First off we have just been back from the hotel were Cmdr Douglas had been staying...."

At this point he waves to silence any protest or a rush of questions

"His room was trashed, long before the cops got there...whoever did was looking for something specific, not sure what they got...but we managed to find quite a bit ourselves...including a letter that states clearly that Douglas had no intention of being the expeditions captain and that Starkweather knew this, although he still told the press the man was on the team!"

McRaven takes out the letter Isugtag had handed to him earlier, and lays it on the table for the others to look at.

"We have other things as well, but we need somewhere more private to check them out. More than ever we need to know what really happened out there last time"

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:19 pm
by Decrepit
Jack gives a low whistle. "That was a risky move on Starkweather's part, announcing Douglas was 'on board,' so to speak, when he wasn't. If it's one thing I've learned about Starkweather, though, is that he's a risk taker, a gambler. Not the sort of fellow I'm all that anxious to be leading a dangerous expedition--especially one I'm in.

"Was Douglas going to work for Lexington then? And why was he at that fleatrap anyway, I wonder?"

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:53 pm
by OrionUK
"Very interesting, who is left to speak to about the previous expedition that might be able to shed some light on this?" James asked McRaven

"Yes we are hoping to find out who is commissioning the person disrupting the supplies & why" James replies to Jack "and I can't speak for the others but I have everything I need here now my kit has been brought from the hotel - but thanks alot for the offer"

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:35 pm
by Steerpike
"Well going by that letter" Contiues McRaven "He was being dogged by some conman, probably the same joe who broke in and trashed the place. We have some journals here belonging to the captain...I notice a couple are missing...it may be the items he was sent to his brother. There are a number of phone numbers too, something to go on maybe"

He pauses for a moment while studying the letter

"So whats this about disrupted supplies?"

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:33 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean appears baffled at this point. He knows there is more to it and, something right there but he is unable to realize how to grasp it. He looks to his assistant.

"What do you suggest we do at this point?"

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:18 am
by Henrik
Olof listens carefully to the conversation, but thus he does not add anything. He carefully reads the commander's letter when it is shown to him. "Perhaps it is better to confront Moore with this information. He seems to be a more rational man than Starkweather."

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
by Raiko

Gunnar (OOC: who isn't anyone's assistant BTW) is equally confused about how to investigate a mass murder from nearly a century ago, "I don't know Sean," he turns to Graves, "what do you think Professor?"

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 pm
by Decrepit
"I can go ring up some numbers if you'd like," Jack says. "It'd be easier to do that from the hotel than from here, certainly. Do we know anything about these numbers?"

He looks at Olof. "I think it's almost time to confront Moore again, but I'd really like something more to go on than our admittedly correct sense that something's not right. I'd like something to really press Moore with."

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:14 pm
by Steerpike
"Well, they're all new york numbers...though two of these entries have no numbers, Phillip...which I guess is the brother, then there are the four names, Wykes, Grimes, Brewer, and...purple cup?..which could be a bar somewhere"

McRaven hands over the paper with the numbers to Jack.

Starkweather, Amherst Hotel. WH-5040; 10:00am

* Gerald Blackman GR-7738

* Phillip – 10:40, 12:55, 3:10, 8:45 (overnight)

* Wykes, Grimes, Brewer – Purple Cup

* A. Lexington QB-0505 (there are several check marks against this phone number)

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:13 pm
by Decrepit
Jack looks at the list.

"I think Philip's worth a call. He might know more about his brother's state of mind, although we get some of that from the journals, of course.

"We already know to speak to Lexington, so I'll lave that be for the moment.

"I'll also see if I can find out whether there's information about the Purple Cup. It probably is as you describe it.

"That leaves Gerald Blackman. I guess I could just try to ring him, see what happens--unless someone has another idea."

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:55 pm
by Ghost_1971
"I'll check out the Purple Cup lead if you like? Take some of the pressure off you. It'll give me something to do til we start our stake out."

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:13 pm
by Decrepit
"Oh, sure, take the fun assignment," Jack says, smirking.

But then more seriously, he adds, "If I were you, though, I wouldn't just go sauntering down there alone asking for these fellows. We don't really know who they are or why Douglas was interested in them."

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:21 pm
by Steerpike
"Stakeout? what stakeout?" Says McRaven

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:49 pm
by OrionUK
James turns to McRaven "I think he is referring to the stakeout we are doing here at the docks, we are going to try to find out what is causing the problems with the cargo lists"

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:57 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves taps quietly on the table, pondering the situation before speaking.

"I'll have a chat to one of my friends at the British Museum to see if they know anything about the missing passages and if not whether they know of any collectors or specialist dealers who may be able to help. I really believe that these passages would be of great significance. It's possible that there may be more chance of tracking down the passages by consulting experts in the States, he was an American author after all. While I'm making calls back to England, it may be an idea for you two to track down this library's expert in Poe to see what they know and perhaps if that draws a blank you could call the Smithsonian Institute in Washington."

With that the Professor goes off in search of a phone.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:35 am
by Raiko

Outside the Reading Room

The Professor finds a row of public telephone booths on the landing, outside the reading room.

Meanwhile back in the reading room.

Gunnar looks at Sean, raising his eyebrows in amusement, “Well he’s certainly abrupt!”

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:56 am
by Henrik
"Perhaps we should investigate this Blackman first, before we call him? Who is he? And what connection does he have with the late Douglas? If you wanted to research a person here in the States, where would you go?" Olof asks who never have done anything of that sort neither in Sweden nor in the USA. "I could do that with some help. It would be an interesting challenge."

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:29 pm
by Decrepit
"Yeah, I agree about Blackman," Jack says. "Just calling him out of nowhere and saying, 'Hey, I know you don't know me, but what do you know about Douglas's death, and just who the hell are you anyway?' probably isn't going to work terribly well."

He pauses for a moment. "There are a few places we could check. The library, for one, although unless this fellow's famous, we probably aren't going to turn up much. I can also call my paper, see if I can get someone to check our morgue--our archives, I mean. It's probably also worthwhile to check with one of my police contacts."

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:25 pm
by Charles Graves
After persuading one of of the librarians into opening the box of fines for overdue books in order to break Grave's $10 bill into small change the Professor enters the phone booth and closes the door behind him.

"Hello Tarquin, Charlie Graves here, how's things you old Cambridge reprobate. I'd heard you were at the British Museum these days, they really are taking on anyone now I see. Anyway, bit of a tricky situation in the colonies at the moment old chap, I'm in New York of all places and I was hoping one of your chums in the Reading Room could help me out with something. The Poe work, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym has had a large section removed in the past and I need to know what was taken out. I know it sounds like a strange question but believe me it is of vital importance, I'll tell you all about it over a brandy at the Club when I get back. I'm staying at the Amherst room 102 so if you find anything out I can be reached there. Oh, you might also want to check the specialist book dealers on the Portobello Road and James at Christie's to see if they can help. I really am at a sticky wicket at the moment Tarquin thank you so much for your help."

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:42 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven listens to the exhange intently, before speaking again.

"I'm not the bookish sort, I guess digging up information is more your line Jack. I'm willing to help out in any other way, if you need another set of eyes for this stakeout I'm in. If you need someone to back your play when you check out this bar, I'm there too"

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:46 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Ok. I'll make some enquiries about the 'Purple Cup' then." comments Callum. "I'll be using your phone for a while if you dont mind?" says Callum, passing a crumpled $5 bill to the security guard "That should cover the cost of the calls."

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean listens and then watches Graves leave in a swift step. He then turns to Gunnar.

"Yes indeed he did"

Sean let's out a short laugh before looking around the Library for a Librarian to consult with his new inquiries. Upon finding one he goes over to him.

"Good Evening Sir, I'm interested to know if anyone here could help me with information about Sir Edgar Allen Poe? Anyone here pride themselves on being a literary expert on his work?"

(OOC: My comment about Gunnar as an assistant was me refering to him as my research partner, assistant, etc =) Just clearing things up so you don't think I was confused about who he was. )

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:49 am
by Raiko

Tarquin agrees to find out what he can for Professor Graves, although off the top of his head he isn't aware of any unpublished chapters for that particular novel.

Back in the Reading Room:

"Yes sir, actually there is someone. Just wait here a minute and I'll see if she's available."

A few minutes later the librarian reappears with a tall dark haired lady, wearing gold rimmed spectacles, "Hello I'm Agatha Goodright, I'm told that you have an enquiry about Poe?"

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:45 pm
by Decrepit
Jack turns to Callum. "Hey, wait a second. I'm just remembering that the Purple Cup is this speakeasy by the docks in the Lower East Side. You're not going to want to go alone, I can assure you. Somebody want to go with him? I'm going to go back to the hotel and try to call Commander Douglas's brother."

Volunteer

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:54 am
by Steerpike
"Ok, i'll go with him" Says McRaven, "I'm going to arrange for my stuff to come down from the hotel to the ship first. We may need some back up...and it's in my suitcase at the moment"

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:42 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Hahaha. It's probably a good thing that I didn't start ringing around trying to find the location of an illegal drinking den then! Thank you Jack, and thanks to you to Bill. Your company will be welcome. Any one else? What about you Nils?"

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:43 pm
by Henrik
"I could go to the library and see if I can find anything on this Blackman character in the local newspapers. I think you have a better shot at finding anything about him, Jack, but I don't like to be idle" Olof says.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:48 pm
by Raiko
Pier 74 – New York

“I’ll stay here Callum, to keep an eye on the warehouse. I’ll see if Turlow is aboard the Gabrielle, and get my rifle back.”

Before he leaves the office Nils turns to the others and asks, “Jack, James, could one of you arrange for Gunnar to bring my gear from the Hotel? Isugtag are you staying?”

When Sean explains about the missing chapters of the Poe novel, Ms Goodright says “I remember that a supposedly unique copy of the book was supposed to be auctioned in the city about a decade or so ago, it was an original manuscript that supposedly contained material that was never published.”

“I was interested, and we considered purchasing the manuscript for the library’s collection, I’d never be able to afford such a thing for myself obviously.”

“Anyway when the date came around, the Poe manuscript was no longer part of the auction.”

At that moment Graves walks back over, having finished his telephone conversation with Tarquin in Cambridge.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:54 pm
by OrionUK
"Of course we will arrange for your things to be brought from the hotel, I shall not be long! James replies to Nils

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:55 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves waits to be introduced to the librarian.

He managed to catch her saying something about an auction so hopefully Sean has been able to turn up a new lead.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:14 pm
by Ghost_1971
"Ok. Nice one Nils. I'll see you later on then. Right, whenever you are ready Bill."

"Are you sure I cant tempt anyone else to join us? There may even be a drink in it! Only joking of course." Callum pulls on his jacket and waits to see if there are any takers.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:56 pm
by BlackGoat
Sean looks to Graves noticing his approach.

"ah, Ms. Goodright this is a fellow expedition member of ours, Professor Charles Graves. Professor Graves, this is Ms. Goodright. The Libraries literary expert on Poe. She was just explaining to me about the Unique piece we're researching."

Sean shares the information he recieved from Ms Goodright with Graves.

"Ms. Goodright, do you know why the auction suddenly stopped? Also, who currently holds said unique copy, and further more i'm intrigued to know of your opinion on why this particular edition was not released on a large scale"

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:03 am
by Mister Juan
Still busy stuffing tobacco back into his now empty pipe, the tall Inuit lifted his brown eyes toward Nils.

"Too many hunters will scare the game away."

He lit his pipe, took Douglas' letter back and folded it carefully back into his coat pocket.

"I will be at the hotel." he simply said as he pushed the door opened with his shoulder.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:58 pm
by Steerpike
MRaven looks through the window at the retreating figure of Isugtag, as he the indian makes his way through the crowds of press hounds at the main gate.

"Now thats what I call enigmatic" He says to noone on particular.

McRaven then calls the hotel to request that his luggage be forwarded to the boat.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:34 pm
by Raiko
The Afternoon

Agatha Goodright remembers that the book was owned by the Lexington family, the auction was held the day after Percival Lexington’s suicide, so she assumes that his family had other things to worry about. She is surprised however that the book was never auctioned at a later date. She also says that as the manuscript is a proof that pre-dates the first edition of the book, the author or the publishers obviously decided to cut the final chapters. She suspects that the Lexington manuscript probably is totally unique.

Graves, Gunnar and Olof spend the afternoon looking through the library’s newspaper archives for material to corroborate Agatha’s memory. Graves finds a few short articles from the New York Herald (24th – 30th July 1921) that tell the same story as the articles Jack obtained from his Newspaper’s morgue, Alicia Lexington reported the manuscript as stolen the day the auction was due to be held. The manuscript apparently contains three additional chapters that have never been published, and was expected to fetch a very high price from either a major library or museum, or a private collector; enough to help ease the financial problems rumoured to be affecting the Lexington family. Percival’s suicide occurred the evening before the auction date. None of the investigators can find any indication that Alicia ever sold the manuscript at a later date.

Later in the afternoon the four explorers are joined in their research by Olof, who has come to investigate Gerald Brackman. It turns out to be easy to find out who Brackman is, a check of the New York Telephone Directory reveals the address of his Law Firm:
Brackman and Associates, 8th Avenue & 91st Street, GR-7738

The telephone number GR-7738, is the same as the number found in Douglas’ hotel room. He doesn’t find any other information about the lawyer at the library.

The Daily News Building – New York

Jack heads back to his newspapers offices, and checks through the morgues looking for information about Brackman. The lawyer has a file in the newspaper’s morgue, but there isn’t very much in it, he is just a run of the mill lawyer, dealing mostly with divorces and wills, one or two of his clients have been high profile, but not enough for his name to appear in more than one or two articles.

THE EVENING

The Amherst Hotel – 44th Street, New York
7:00pm – Wednesday 6th September, 1933

Investigators Present: Jack, Kitt, Olof, Sean, Graves, Maurice, Isugtag, James[/b]

Most of the expedition team members return to the Amherst for their evening meal in the Rose Room. Kitt goes up to her room first to freshen up before eating. She finds a typed letter has been pushed under her door.

Code: Select all

Dear Miss Knight

You must listen to this warning. There will be no others. After this, only action remains. I do not expect you to understand my reasons, but all that is necessary is that you act. Consider this a threat if you like. A most earnest threat.

The expedition must not sail south. Captain Douglas was only the first to die. If you persist in your brave blind hopes you will all perish. Only those who turn back are safe. I hope that you will be among them.

Let the dead lie peacefully with their secrets. They are the only ones who are beyond pain. Nothing awaits upon the ice but suffering and a bitter ending that I will do anything to help you avoid. Yes help: even death is a blessing compared to what lies in wait.

I suppose you will blame me for everything. I don’t mind, even though it’s not true. There are forces at work here that you do not understand, and I have to be content with that. The deadliest sin sometimes, is in the understanding; and the most damned are those who explain.

Please. I urge you. Turn away. Tell the others. For your own sake, for all of us, turn back while you can. There is nothing more that I dare say.

Most sincerely,

A better friend than you will ever know.

[OOC: If Kitt heads back downstairs to show the letter to the others, you have a few minutes to discuss it before Moore arrives in the Rose Room, Starkweather will not be with him (I know one or two of you are hoping to speak with Moore without Starkweather being present).]

Outside the Purple Cup

Investigators Present: Callum, McRaven

After returning to the Amherst to get their pistols and send the rest of their gear to the ship, Callum and McRaven head for the Lower East Side docks to hunt for the Purple Cup. They eventually locate it in a dingy little building on the waterfront by Battery Point, this is very close to where Commander Douglas was murdered.

Standing nearby for a while they see that almost all of the patrons entering and leaving the speakeasy are sailors.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:59 pm
by Laraqua
Kitt reads the letter twice with a frown marring her otherwise delicate features. Then she folds it over carefully and reaches for the door, pausing a moment to collect her thoughts, then goes down to find the others.

She makes a bee line straight for Jack. He was a reporter, true, which meant the letter might be plastered all over the newspapers by morning, but it also meant he'd know how to explain it to the others in the right way. Besides, someone who spent all of their time writing stories should be better equipped to analyse a letter than someone who spent most of their time working in air planes.

"Excuse me, Jack? Could you come with me for a minute?"

If he follows, she'll take him to a quiet corner to show him, though if others insist on following she won't complain. If he wishes to stay where he is, she'll merely pass him the letter.

Afterwards, she asks: "But why me? Why did they send it to me?"

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:14 pm
by Decrepit
Jack follows Kitt and reads through the letter she shows him.

"I'm afraid I don't know 'why you,'" he says. "Perhaps this loon has smply taken a fancy to you, is all. I doubt he's the first." Jack breaks off, hoping to provoke a bit of a smile, then he continues.

"This is only about the sixtieth odd thing to happen in the past few days, as you know. I think they are a great many questions that need an answer. Moore seems like a fairly sensible fellow, not like Starkweather. Perhaps it's time to confront him with all of this."

Jack scratches his head. "Or maybe we should press on with our investigations in something like secret. I'm not sure. In any case, you don't have to worry about me running to my paper with this. That would only cause you--and us--far more attention than we want, and it'd probably provoke our mysterious 'benefactor' into a froth, which I don't think we want right now."

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:22 pm
by Laraqua
Instead of a smile, Jack gets a little blush in response to his words. Kitt felt more flustered than normal dealing with this sort of danger. Once the expedition went ahead, once she was a pilot again, then and only then would she feel the kind of confidance that came from the sweet simplicity of flying.

Until then she felt weak and confused. She didn't like the feeling but there wasn't very much she could do about it.

"Any idea what we should do next? I mean, we don't have a lot of time. If there's anything I could do to help, just say the word. There's not a lot else I've got on my agenda. Well, not compared to some people."

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:31 pm
by Ghost_1971
"I dont think I've ever felt more out of place, ever. And we've not even gone in yet. I'll probably let you do most of the talking."

"It's not too late Bill. We could always just go back. Its not that I'm frightened, you understand. I'm just far to pretty to go into a bar full of drunken sailors. They may start getting ideas."

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:59 pm
by Decrepit
Jack sees Kitt's embarrassment and is instantly sorry that he said anything of the sort to her. It was yet more evidence of his inability to deal sensibly with women. It was something his ex-wives had reminded him of on more than one occasion; maybe it was time he took them to heart, as it were.

Back to the matter at hand, he says, "Thanks for the offer. I think there will be things for all of us to do. In any case, I think we should discuss this letter with the others as soon as possible, preferably before Moore comes in. This is a serious issue of security."

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:36 am
by Laraqua
"Could you do the talking, Jack? I'm sure you'll be able to spin it in the right light. I don't want the others to get overly worried." Kitt smiles. "I have to admit, I'm getting a little worried about the whole thing. I don't know what's sillier. Me worrying, or me dismissing the worry just because I want to fly in such an amazing place."

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:46 pm
by Decrepit
Jack returns the smile. "Sure thing, Kitt. I'll talk to them."

After a moment, he continues, "Look, I won't lie to you. There is some danger here, obviously, but you've got a lot of people looking out for you, and I'm ... we're going to keep you safe, all right?

"We'll find out who's behind all this before we even leave for Antarctica. Then you can fly your plane to your heart's content and all you'll have to worry about are your, um, fuel lines and, um, gauges."

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:52 pm
by Laraqua
Kitt cocks an eyebrow. "You don't know much about planes, do you? One day, I should show you the inside of a plane. It's really something to be able to fly. Maybe I could even teach you some of the details. Take you up into the air." Her eyes go a little dreamy as she envisions the snow and ice passing beneath her, as unsullied as the clouds. "It'll really be something."

"Oh, I have a luger, but it's not really a handbag gun, is it?" Kitt asks, leaning in conspirationally. "I should find some way to holster it but there's not many types of holsters that are inconspicuous on a girl. It won't be such a problem over there but here, well, I'm not sure what I should do on that account."

A drink or two at the purple cup

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:33 pm
by Steerpike
Mcraven raises an eyebrow at the comment made by Callum. There was no way he was going back to the docks empty handed, without at least having had a go. He was no investigator like Jack, and lacked the easy charm of James. But he had crisp dollar bills in his wallet, and was hoping to play the mindless optimism card quite a lot.

He shoves his hands into his overcoat pockets. His right hand curls around the handle of the revolver. He really hopes he won't be needing it.

"Nows not the time to be getting cold feet. Besides which, Jack would never let us forget about it. Fortune favours the bold, so lets be bold for the next hour or so and see what kind of hand we get dealt with in here"

With that he moves forward, and opens the door the dingy drinking den.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:56 pm
by Henrik
As Jack leaves Olof tells the others what he has found. "This Gerald Blackman seems to be a lawyer with an office here in New York. I don't know why Douglas needed to phone a lawyer. I don't think he was in any legal troubles. Perhaps he wanted to write a will or something similar? Perhaps Jack has found something further." Olof waits for Jack to return from his private conversation with Ms. Kitt.

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:23 pm
by Decrepit
Jack rejoins the hotel group waiting for Moore's arrival.

"Fellows, perhaps this is no surprise by now, but there's another problem."

He passes around the letter Kitt received. After they've had a chance to digest its contents, Jack continues.

"It was one thing to make a show about the expedition itself, or to offer some vague warnings, but this is specificially directed to one of us. Isn't it about time we confronted Moore with some of this? I'm getting fed up with his evasiveness and Starkweather's showboating. I suggest it's time to apply the screws--metaphorically speaking, of course."

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:13 pm
by Raiko
The Purple Cup – Near Battery Point, New York

The inside of the Purple Cup is dingy and smoke filled. The walls are covered with tatty maritime souvenirs, everything is stained a dirty brown by the smoke.

All conversation inside stops as McRaven and Callum walk through the door. Two dozen sets of eyes stare suspiciously at the newcomers, who are clearly outsiders.

The Rose Room – The Amherst Hotel, 44th Street, New York
7:05pm – Wednesday 6th September, 1933

All conversation stops in the Rose Room as well when Professor Moore walks through the door.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:27 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
Maurice makes his way into the Rose room, he recognizes the faces of a few of the people gathered about but doesn't know anyone well enough to address them by first name.

Exhausted after an insanely hard day of preparations he has come to the hotel looking for a place to relax, a bit to eat, a drink if it's offered and the chance to talk to someone new for a change.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:09 pm
by Henrik
Olof looks at the others hoping that someone else shall begin questioning professor Moore, suitably someone who has English as their native language and knows who to express himself or herself without offending Moore.

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:19 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum takes a deep breath and follows McRaven inside...

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:25 pm
by OrionUK
After arranging for Nils and his own luggage to be forwarded to the ship James makes his way through to the Rose room to see what everyone is up to.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:02 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
Maurice walks over to the table occupied by the Journalist and the Female pilot from his expedition, "Allo," he says while extending his hand when an appropriate break happens in their conversation, "I am Maurice," he continues with an obvious french accent looking to Jack. "Maurice Cole, one of da laborers dan la Monsieur Starkweather's boat."

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:24 pm
by Laraqua
Kitt Knight smiles up at him, notices that he wants to speak with Jack, and politely excuses herself to go get a drink. She drums her fingers on a convenient surface, staring at the wall thoughtfully, dreaming of white snow and the power of a plane.

Despite all of these mishaps, bad omens and threatening messages, she really can't wait to get there. First woman to step foot there or not, she didn't care. She just wanted to fly.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:35 pm
by Steerpike
With Callum at his side, McRaven strides in keeping his gaze fixed firmly on the bar trying to keep any apprehension off his face. when he reaches the bar, he gives a brief nod to the barman and asks for two beers.

When the beers get handed over to the two men, McRaven leans in close and waves for the barman to come closer.

"Look mac, I won't beat around the bush here. I'm looking for anyone who knew Commander Douglas and may have seen him recently, I won't insult anyone here with a cheap bribe, but it's really important...can you help?"

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:02 pm
by Decrepit
"Maurice, is it?" Jack asks. "Well, welcome to the madness. Seems like every time we turn around, someone's trying to kill us, threaten us, sabotage us, or be our 'friend.' And in all likelihood, I'm going to have to go confront one of the people who's letting me come along on this expedition to shake out what he's been hiding from us." Jack smiles wrily, then turns to speak with Moore.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:08 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
Maurice decides it bet to hang out and listen to the conversation. Jack's introduction was intriguing and he was looking for something new to learn so he took a seat and kept quiet.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:30 pm
by Henrik
Olof introduces himself to Maurice. "Hello, my name is Olof. French, huh? I studied in Paris during a couple of years. If we'd got the time I'd enjoy the opportunity to brush up on my French."

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:50 pm
by Decrepit
Jack looks around for Moore.

When he finds him, Jack says, loud enough for the others to hear if they want, "Professor,, I believe that you and I need to have a talk about the way things are going around here. There's been some more ... disturbing news, and I have a great many concerns about how events are unfolding."

Jack looks around to see whether anyone is watching.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:51 pm
by Raiko
(OOC: I can't speak for the PCs, but...)

Jack sees that everyone is looking.

"Really?" the professor asks, "well then, what is this disturbing news? I had doubted that this day could get much worse."

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:05 am
by Decrepit
Jack hands the letter Kitt received over to Moore.

After allowing time for Moore to read it, Jack says, "Professor, I think we've all been quite cooperative up to this point. We've put up with a media frenzy, a lunatic with a gun, a sea captain who was going to join us and instead ends up joining Davy Jones, and now this, a threat on one of our members.

"Every time we've tried to talk with you, you've been evasive. I think it's time for you to share what you know about what's going on. For the moment, I'm assuming you're one of the good guys here, but that could change."

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:22 am
by thewhatchamacallit
Henrik wrote: Olof introduces himself to Maurice. "Hello, my name is Olof. French, huh? I studied in Paris during a couple of years. If we'd got the time I'd enjoy the opportunity to brush up on my French."

"Oui," replies Maurice shaking Olaf's hand, "I am Maurice Cole and I could 'elp you brush up one your Francais, if you would like. I have never been to France myself but 'ave always wished to travel dare (there)."

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:00 am
by Henrik
"Jack's right. We all have concerns about this trip. Currently I believe that none of us wants to quit the expedition, but that can change fast if things continue escalating in this peculiar and dangerous manner."

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:32 am
by Raiko
Moore folds up the letter and hands it back to Jack, “I’m not quite sure what you expect me to tell you Mr Wilson. I certainly hope that you are planning to give that letter to the police, as it could have a connection to their murder investigation, though it’s more likely the work of a crackpot. I’ve received several lunatic letters myself, but I thought it better to throw them into the bin than worry unduly about them. These expeditions always receive advice from every lunatic around.”

“As to me being evasive, what exactly do you think I’m not telling you? I don’t ever remember you voicing any concerns to me before. I certainly don’t know who murdered the Commander, or why Lawrence went off the rails.”

He raises his eyebrows and smiles, “And you must admit that it’s rather ironic that you of all people are complaining about the media circus surrounding the expedition, perhaps you should have a word with your editor?”

“I’ll answer whatever I can for you, provided I have your word that it won’t be printed in your tabloid rag tomorrow.”

“If that isn’t good enough for you I suggest that you leave, I’ve had a long enough day as it is, and if it were up to me there wouldn’t be any journalist on the team in the first place.”

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:38 am
by Laraqua
Kitt goes to stand slightly behind Jack and to one side. She didn't want Moore's intense scrutiny but she wanted him to know he had an ally. "We just wanted to know if you could shed any light on the situation. It's all been very trying for us. We just want all the pieces to the puzzle."

"Why this expedition? I know we're doing something rather interesting but there's been other expeditions to other interesting places. Did they really receive such hassle? And what about the first expedition, was it really so bad for them or are we being singled out?"

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:09 am
by Decrepit
[OOC: this is more or less simultaneous with Kitt's questions.]

"That's all well and good, Professor," Jack says, "and I know that you told James some of your thoughts before. Maybe 'evasive' was too strong a word. If so, I apologize. Maybe I'm just not as used to being threatened as you are." The last isn't hostile so much as a bit conciliatory. Jack feels like maybe he's stepped over the line a bit out of concern for Kitt and for the rest of the party, himself included.

"But surely you must find this letter to be rather different than your run-of-the-mill crackpot. My gut tells me that this one is on the level. And more things have happened since the last time all of us talked about this.

"To me, this seems like someone who's got some inside knowledge of our proceedings, or those of the last expedition. Ask me to prove that, and I'll admit that I can't, but that's what my gut is telling me. Surely you must have your own suspicions, Professor."

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:28 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
First Jack and then Henrik both had turned away from their conversation with him so abruptly that Maurice couldn't help but ponder why everyone was being so distracted and short while talking to him.

Absently he sniffed his armpit and wondered if perhaps he should have had two showers.

Maurice had tried to follow the conversations taking place about him, but the Anglish talked so fast and what they were saying made little sense.

He understood expedition and a few thing about the press and someone threatening someone but the rest was lost on him. Usually he was pretty quick on the uptake but today he felt out of his depth.

He'd assumed he would have a rough go fitting in with the gathered group, he was a foreigner and of lower social standing, he had been ready for all of that to be an obstacle to his fitting in. But now by the way they all talked and laughed (sparingly) together over their own inside jokes it became apparent that not only was Maurice an outsider, but he was an outsider that had come in very late.

Finishing his beverage he smiled resignedly to himself while listening in on the perplexing discussions for a few more minutes and then fearing that Moore might find some better use for Maurice's time should the mood strike him the young deck hand got up from the table and began making his way quietly back to his quarters.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:40 pm
by Raiko
The Rose Room – The Amherst Hotel, 44th Street, New York

Moore lightens up a little, “Oh don’t mind me, I’m just having a very bad day.”

“You are quite right that the letter Kitt received is much more threatening than those sent by your average crackpot. As I said, I really think that you should pass the letter onto the police.”

The professor shakes his head sadly, “my own suspicion is that this letter was written by my friend William Dyer, he was most determined that a second expedition should not be mounted, though I didn’t think he’d stoop so low as to write threatening letters to a young lady. I suspect that he wrote a few of the letters that the Captain and I have received as well.”

“I’m sure that William has nothing at all to do with the murder, but even so, the reference to it in this letter is worrying. But let me tell you, if will take more than an anonymous poison pen letter or two to deter me from the truth. I will find out what happened to Lake and the rest. And when we find that out Jack, you’ll be able to tell the truth to the whole world!”

Moore lowers his voice so that only those close by can hear him.

“Captain Starkweather has gone to talk with our replacement Captain. I delayed the transport of the aircraft, but they will arrive tomorrow. And barring any more disasters we will depart as planned on Saturday. I’ve been told that some of you plan on guarding the warehouse, that’s an excellent idea given the chaos so far. I shall be making additional security arrangements of my own tomorrow as well.”

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:45 pm
by Decrepit
Jack pauses for a moment to take things in.

"I guess I owe you thanks, and an apology, Professor," he finally says. "Hearing it from you directly does reassure me some. As to the letter, I do intend to pass it along to the police. I do have some contacts there, as you might imagine.

"Your theory about Dyer sounds about right, unfortunately."

Jack recalls how he and the others had tried getting in touch with Dyer only to find him unavailable. Perhaps they should redouble their efforts.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:41 pm
by Henrik
"I spoke with Pabodie on the phone" Olof mentions. "I was so concerned with the matters of the drill that I did not think of calling William Dyer as well. Didn't professor Graves travel to Arkham a few days ago? Did you go with him, Jack?"

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 pm
by Raiko
The Purple Cup – Near Battery Point, New York

The bartender just shrugs rudely and walks away after dumping two beers in front of McRaven and Callum.

The two explorers can still feel every person in the building staring at them, whenever their backs are turned, but McRaven also notices one bearded old sea dog nod to him from a table in the corner.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:45 pm
by Charles Graves
Upon hearing his name, Graves looks up sharply from his newspaper. He had been trying to look detached from the conversations that were going on at the other end of the room but had in fact been listening intently to the discussion.

"A group of us did travel to Arkham but unfortunately Dyer has not been seen by any of his friends for some time now. It may be an idea for Jack to get his newspaper to print some pictures of Dyer which could be handed out to the entire crew so that he may be spotted if he tries anything."

A friendly face?

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:01 am
by Steerpike
McRaven nudges Callum and points to the old man, The picking up his beer walks over to where the old sailor is sitting.

"Hello there...may you could help. We really need some information on Commander Douglas, can we sit down and talk...can my friend here get you anything?"

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:25 am
by Decrepit
"First of all, we're not sure that Dyer's behind this," Jack says. "That would make a lot of sense, but we really don't have any proof. Putting up pictures of him as if he was a wanted criminal ... I'm just not ready to go that far yet."

Jack scratches his head for a moment. "But it might not hurt to see whether the police can find him--or at least they can keep an eye out for him."

He stops again. "Maybe we need to think about our leads a bit more carefully, see whether we've missed something important."

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:16 pm
by Henrik
"If we should begin by concentrating on what we know about the demise of Commander Douglas. He seemed to have contacted a lawyer by the name of Blackman prior to his death. Why? To make changes in his will? We need to know why he phoned Blackman. What else do we know about Commander Douglas?" Olof begins.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:16 pm
by Charles Graves
Graves folds his newspaper and puts it on a table in front of him, smiling heartily.

"No Jack I think you misunderstood me, I'm not suggesting we put up wanted posters for Dyer. I just think it would be prudent for the entire crew to know what he looks like. I'm not accusing anyone of anything but as someone has threatened the lives of the members of the expedition it would be foolish to allow an attack on an unsuspecting member of the party if it could possibly be avoided."

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:46 pm
by Decrepit
"Sounds like I did misunderstand," Jack says, grinning. "What you're saying makes sense to me.

"I should go call Douglas's brother, as I planned on doing. Maybe our fellows at the Purple Cup will turn up something too."

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:03 pm
by BlackGoat
Merely listening intently to the conversation, Sean seems calmed by the entire encounter. Hearing Moore explain it away cradles Sean's own fears of a deeper plot from him. He then also considers that if could be their competition trying to spook them away.

Sean let's out a sigh and thinks to himself...

I can't wait until Saturday finally comes and we're out to sea, the threats will stop and all this tension will be alleviated

Sean starts to attribute his nervousness to his long period of time "off" the job.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm
by Ghost_1971
Taking a large mouthful of beer, Callum goes over to the sailor as well "Good evening Sir. You need a top up?"

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:23 am
by Raiko
The Purple Cup
7:05pm – Wednesday 6th September 1933

The old sailor laughs, “I wouldn’t say no to that sonny.”

“Take a seat boys, I saw your Commander Douglas last night.”

Moore nods, “I think you are both right. We should be vigilant, in case William makes an appearance.”

“I know that the commanders’ brother will be in town on Friday, for the funeral. Mister Starkweather and me will be there, I’m sure it would be welcomed if some other expedition members attended.”

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:38 am
by Laraqua
Kitt nods. "I would like to go."

questions

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:04 pm
by Steerpike
Mcraven nods at Callum "Get this gentleman a drink please"
As he waits for Callum to get a drink for the old sailor, Mcraven takes a taste of his own beer and sits at the table.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:47 pm
by thewhatchamacallit
"Good to meet you. Oh good to meet you," says Maurice sarcastically while shaking his hands together in a mock greeting. The people upstairs had been as cold and indifferent as he'd feared they'd be, while he might have been popular back home, in the big wide world of the English one Frenchman didn't mean a thing.

Stomping out his cigarette Maurice looked about the town and pulled his jacket tighter. Surely there must have been something for him to do rather than return to his room and be bored crazy.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:44 pm
by Decrepit
"Well, I could go, too," Jack says, "but by Friday it may be too late to follow up on anything important. I'm inclined to call him today."

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:18 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum goes to the bar and purchases a bottle of whatever the old sailor is drinking. Returning to the table, he takes his seat and hands over the bottle "Should keep you going for a while."

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:49 am
by Decrepit
"Professor,," Jack says, "do you happen to know where the Commander's brother lives? I thought I had his number, but now I'm remembering I don't. I don't know whether he'd talk to me, but I still think waiting till the funeral is too long."

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:32 pm
by Raiko

Moore shakes his head, "No I'm afraid I haven't ever spoken to either Commander Douglas or his brother myself."

"Mr Starkweather had spoken to the commander, but I doubt whether he'd have his brothers number."

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:18 pm
by Decrepit
"Well, thanks anyway, Professor," Jack says.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:08 pm
by Henrik
"I'm going to visit Blackman tomorrow. Anyone who wants to join me? I think it can be important."

Q & A

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:55 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven waits for the old sailor to take his first swig from the bottle before he speaks.

"So, you said you saw Douglas in here last night? Did he meet someone here...were they...hmm...local?"

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:11 pm
by Raiko
The Purple Cup – Lower East Side, New York
7 to 8pm – Wednesday 6th September 1933

McRaven and Callum learn that the old sea dog, who goes by the name Orry Wheaton, was sitting with some pals one table away from JB Douglas the night before.

He remembers that Douglas met with three other men, one of whom was definitely called Grimes, none of the four were regulars in the Purple Cup, but all were obviously sailors. Wheaton didn’t overhear much of what was said at the other table, but he remembers hearing the names Starkweather and Lexington several times, he remembers those names and knew Douglas, because of the extensive press coverage of both expeditions.

The four men were deep in conversation for a long time, they appeared to all friendly towards each other, and Wheaton thinks that Douglas left alone at the end of the night.

The Amherst Hotel
8:30pm – Wednesday 6th September 1933

Jack manages to get a phone number for Phillip Douglas, a farmer from upstate New York. Unfortunately though the phone is answered by one of Phillip’s farmhands, who says that «Mr Douglas has gone to the city to identify his brother’s body, he won’t be back till after the funeral.»

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:28 pm
by Decrepit
Well, that scotches that, Jack thinks as he hangs up. In all likelihood, Phillip wasn't going to know anything of value anyway. Might as well leave things be till the day of the funeral on that count.

It would be back to the police tomorrow. Jack hoped that someone, somewhere was findi8ng something useful.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:42 pm
by Charles Graves
"Good idea Mr Eriksson, I too think that Mr Blackman knows something that would interest us. Mind if I tag along with you tomorrow?"

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:45 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum picks up the bottle and refills the sailors shot glass. "Thanks for the info Orry. Did you notice any one else hanging around? Or anything that seemed peculiar at the time?"

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:39 pm
by Raiko
The Purple Cup – Lower East Side Dock, New York
8:00pm – Wednesday 6th September 1933

“Haha! There’s always peculiar characters in here lad, but no I didn’t notice anything unusual. I was as surprised as anyone to learn of the murder.”

Callum and McRaven stay a while longer, but don’t learn anything else from the Purple Cup patrons.

[OOC: I’ve cut this short as there really isn’t anything else to learn. I really didn’t want to leave you both trying to ‘find the right question’]

Pier 74 – New York Docks, Hudson River
During the Night – Wednesday 6th September 1933
Characters Present:Gunnar, Nils, Callum, James, McRaven

The five explorers sleep in shifts, ensuring that there are always at least two of them awake, but the night passes without incident. Only the night watchman and the occasional rat move about the warehouse or the pier.

Tomorrow night will be different, 24 hour operations will resume in the morning, after the day of relative inactivity following Commander Douglas’ death.

Amherst Hotel – New York
08:30am – Thursday 7th September 1933
Characters Present:Graves, Jack, Olof, Isugtag, Kitt, Maurice, all other Expedition Members.

Those expedition members who remain at the Amherst descend to the Rose Room in the morning after what was a restful night for most. Starkweather isn’t present at breakfast again, but Professor Moore is and the day begins with another of his rather long and dry briefings (summarised below).

“Ok gentlemen, yesterday was, to be frank, a complete disaster. As well as tragically loosing a very experienced sea captain, we have also lost a full day of preparation. And yet our objective must remain the same, we depart on the 9th, and so I insist that everyone, and that really does mean everyone, must be at the pier today to help load the ship and check to lists.”

“The aircraft will arrive on the pier this morning, and so the aviation team will obviously be required to give them a once over before they are loaded. The fuel will also start arriving, so please take care everyone.”

“Most importantly of all, the full inventory of cold weather clothing has now arrived. So you must each meet with Mr Sykes in the Gabrielle’s mess for final fittings. This is most important, in a few weeks your very survival will depend on that clothing.”

“On a sadder note, the funeral of Commander Douglas will be held tomorrow morning, the Mr Starkweather and I will be attending, and Miss Knight has also said that she will join us, but I’d like a few more of you there. It is only right that our expedition should pay this man the respect that deserves.”

When he has finished addressing the assembled explorers Moore asks for a quiet word with Jack, in the corner.

“Ah Mr Wilson, erm Jack. Mr Starkweather asked me to let you know that our replacement Captain has been appointed, he will be onboard the Gabrielle this afternoon, and Mr Starkweather would like you to have the chance to chat with him before the appointment is announced to the rest of the press this evening.”

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:34 pm
by Decrepit
"That was most considerate of Mr. Starkweather," Jack says with only the slightest hint of sarcasm leaking through (he hopes). "I'll be most interested to talk with him.

"I understand that I need that fitting, and I won't miss that or the meeting you mentioned. But based on our conversation last night, I think both you and I recognize the need for me to speak to the police about the matter of the letter involving Kitt. I'd like to take care of this business this morning so that I can be back on board for the meeting with the new captain and for the fitting.

"Oh, and I was assuming you knew that I would be interested in attending the funeral."

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:47 pm
by Raiko
The Amherst Hotel – New York
9:00am – Thursday 7th September 1933

“Oh,” Moore looks a little surprised; after a moment his frown vanishes and he says, “I had thought that you would have taken the note last night.”

“Well no matter, I’ll expect you back on the ship well before lunch. Sykes has a lot to do, so he can’t afford to spend any extra time on the fittings.”

“I expect you’ll need Miss Knight to accompany you to the police, see that you both return in plenty of time.”

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:45 pm
by Decrepit
"Understood," jack says. "I would've gone last night but for some other business."

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:54 pm
by Henrik
When Moore mentions that everyone will be needed at the docks today, Olof leans over to Dr. Graves and says: "I don't think we'll be allowed to visit Brackman. Somehow I don't think that the private investigation of an 'unrelated' murder is a prioritized matter."

When it becomes clear that Jack and Ms. Kitt have got permission to leave, Olof asks Jack the following: "If you got the time do you think you and Ms. Kitt perhaps could pay Mr. Brackman a visit?" The Swedish engineer smiles wickedly. "And I guess Moore does not need to know about that if you got the time?"

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:26 pm
by Decrepit
"Hmm," Jack says. "I guess we could. I didn't find out much about him myself other than what I think you found--that he's a small-time lawyer. I'd rather we knew what his connection with Douglas was other than the fact that the dearly departed had written the fellow's number down, but maybe a 'surprise visit' will shake something loose."

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:37 pm
by Laraqua
Kitt just nods, and makes up her mind to keep her Luger on hand, just in case something untoward happens while they investigate. She's been feeling far more nervous about things as each day passes. Leaving the shore will be almost a relief.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:43 am
by Henrik
"Thanks, appreciate it. It seems time is running out. We're going to depart to Antarctica whether we solve these mysteries or not, Jack. I'd prefer to have as much information as possible on hand. There is still time to pull out from this venture, although I might regret doing so and I would like to make a well-grounded decision, not just an educated guess."

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:30 pm
by Raiko
The Rose Room – The Amherst Hotel, New York
9:15am – Thursday 7th September 1933

As everybody prepares to leave the Rose Room, Professor Moore calls out, “Oh yes, one more thing!”

“Due to the obvious security worries with everything that has happened, we’ve decided to increase security at both the hotel and the docks. We ask for your cooperation please.”

“There is now a logbook at the hotel reception desk, please could everybody sign in, and out whenever they enter or leave the hotel from now on.”

“You will also now be asked to sign in and out at the pier, everyone will be issued with a ‘dock pass’ when they sign in. Anyone seen without a visible pass will be stopped by the watchmen and brought to me or Mr Starkweather. There will be some additional watchmen at the pier at times as well now.”

Moore pauses to push his spectacles back up his nose, “I ask you to only leave the hotel or docks when absolutely necessary until the expedition preparations have been completed. Hopefully these additional measures will help to ensure everybody’s safety, and prevent and further breaches of the docks security.”

09:45am – Thursday 7th September 1933
Characters Present: Jack, Kitt

O’Meara is expecting Jack and hands over a large brown folder when he and Kitt arrive, “Hi Jack, and hello to the famous Miss Knight I presume. This is everything that I’ve got regarding the suicide of Percival Lexington, and the alleged theft. There isn’t all that much I’m afraid, a bit of an open and shut case, but the autopsy report is in there too.”

He looks seriously at Jack, “It goes without saying that it would be very bad for you if any of this appears in your newspaper, but I’ve got to admit that I’m curious to learn whether you can find a link between this stuff and current events.”

Characters Present: Everyone Else

The rest of the expedition member begin to arrive at the docks, as usual there is a small crowd of journalist waiting outside the gates.

Each team member is signed in and issued with a ‘docks pass,’ then directed back onboard the Gabrielle to the same room that Sykes made his initial measurements a few days before. A large queue of explorers soon forms.

The five explorers who spent the night watching over the warehouse and the ship, are also told of the new security arrangements and issued with passes. Nils volunteers to keep watch over the warehouse until one of the others relieves him, so the other four get themselves at the front of the queue for the fittings.

[OOC: If Callum, McRaven or James want they can stay with Nils, I’ll edit my post if necessary. Gunnar agrees with his brother’s plan]

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:46 pm
by Decrepit
"Thank you," Jack says as he takes the file from O'Meara. "Right now, I'm more interested in saving our necks than in getting a 'scoop.' I know you're taking a risk in trusting me with this, so I'll return the favor by keeping all this on the Q.T."

Less jocularly, Jack continues, "There is ... another matter. I'm sure you either know or guess that an expedition like ours tends to attract ... fringe elements. Most of this can rightly be ignored, but Miss Knight here is the recipient of a particularly pointed threatening letter." Jack hands over the letter to O'Meara, glancing first at Kitt. Jack hopes he's doing the right thing, getting the police involved in this. It wasn't his M.O. to be "cooperative" with the coppers, but they had resources that he didn't, including time and manpower, and if it kept Kitt alive and unharmed, it was worth it. Besides, he'd had a pretty good feeling about O'Meara, and he usually went with his gut on things like this.

Jack absently thumbs O'Meara's file while waiting for the other man to finish the letter.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:26 pm
by Laraqua
Kitt sighs. "I don't really believe they meant any harm by it. From what I've heard, lots of celebrities get mail like this. It doesn't necessarily mean much at all."

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:51 pm
by Decrepit
"Maybe not," Jack says, "but it's better to be safe, I think, especially given the other things that've gone on. Not that I don't think you can take care of yourself, but it's best to be cautious, at least until we get away from the city."

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:19 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum decides to stay on the docks with Nils, and help out with the days activities there.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:22 pm
by Raiko

O’Meara reads the note, “Well it could just be from some crazy guy, but I’ll pass it on to Hansen, it mentions Commander Douglas’ murder so it’s certainly worthy an investigation.”

“Anything else Jack

A quick flick through the file tells Jack that he’ll need to sit down for a while to read through everything. He’ll have time to quickly assess the information in the taxi, on the way to Brackman’s offices and the docks, but a proper read would take a couple of hours at least. From what Moore had said, it seems unlikely that he’ll get that time before tonight.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:44 pm
by Decrepit
Jack has been weighing in his mind whether to tell O'Meara or Hansen about Moore's suspicions about Dyer, or about the plan to visit Brackman. But he ultimately decides that he doesn't really know anything yet, not enough to help anyway, and that warning the police about threats against Kitt and the others would be enough.

He hoped he wasn't wrong.

"No," Jack says finally. "If I think of something, I'll let you know. I'll return this file in good order." He gets up to leave.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:02 pm
by Laraqua
"I'll help you read through that," Kitt offers, murmuring in Jack's ear. "That is, if you think it will help."

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:46 pm
by Decrepit
"Oh, absolutely," Jack says. "Looks like there's actually a fair bit here. I don't figure that we'll get all the way through it now, but this afternoon promises to be quite busy. We can take a look while we head over to Brackman's office.

"Speaking of which, I'm inclined to go in to see Brackman pretending I know just a bit more than I do, as if I knew why Douglas had been in touch, or had tried to be anyway. That might open him up just a bit. Of course, if he calls my bluff, we're in for a spot of trouble, perhaps." Jack glances toward Kitt questioningly, looking for a reaction to the idea, apparently.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:48 pm
by Laraqua
"Well, exactly what do you think might happen if he does call your bluff?" Kitt asks. "If it'll merely be embarressing, well, we'll be leaving soon anyway."

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:49 pm
by Raiko
Brackman and Associates – 8th Avenue & 91st Street, New York
10:20am – Thursday 7th September 1933

The taxi ride from the police headquarters to Gerald Brackman’s offices is a long one, half the length of Manhattan, and there is a danger that it was for nothing. As Kitt and Jack enter the small, but plush offices of Brackman and Associates, well situated facing the middle of Central Park, they are ‘greeted’ by Brackman’s stern faced, middle aged receptionist. She shakes her head slowly, like an old school-marm, as she explains slowly, “Mr Brackman is a very busy man, you really should have made an appointment.”

She glances at Brackman’s appointments book, “Mr Brackman is busy all today, and he will be attending a client’s funeral tomorrow I’m afraid.”

Looking back up from the book, she smiles without the slightest hint of warmth and says, “He’s free on Monday morning, I could fit you in around 9:30 if you like?” Taking out a pen, she looks at Jack expectantly, “Mister…?”

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:28 pm
by Decrepit
"Wilson," Jack replies. He wonders briefly whether he should've come up with a fake name to give to her, but he decides that, for one thing, he wasn't all that good a liar (a bluffer, maybe, but not a liar) and, for another thing, assuming Blackman was coming to the same funeral Jack was, the truth would come out eventually.

"I think Mr. Brackman is going to want to see me. My visit is in regards to the client you just mentioned." Jack tries but fails to inject much of a sense of urgency and authority into his voice.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:09 am
by Raiko
The receptionist doesn’t even blink as she says, “I’ve already said that Mr Brackman is not available today. Legal matters regarding his deceased client will not be settled until after the funeral in any case. If you have information regarding the death of his client, then I’m sure Mr Brackman would suggest that you give it to the police.”

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:52 pm
by Decrepit
Jack looks over at Kitt, shrugs, and prepares to leave. "Thanks for your, er, help, ma'am," he says to receptionist.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:09 pm
by Raiko
SS Gabrielle – Pier 74, New York Docks, Hudson River
The Morning – Thursday 7th September 1933
Characters Present: Everyone (hurray!)

Peter Sykes

The final fittings of everybody’s cold weather clothing takes a long time, but Peter Sykes does a very professional job, so hopefully this will prove to be a morning well spent. Sykes checks every item of clothing as each explorer is dressed from the skin outwards in many layers, complete with several pairs of gloves and mittens, boots, hats and masks.

As each new item is added he questions the explorer about the fit. There are one or two minor errors, but nothing unexpected, and eventually each explorer has a full fitted set of clothing. When each fitting is completed, the items are packed into a box which is then stored in that explorer’s cabin, where it will remain until the expedition reaches the Antarctic region.

Mid way through the morning Jack and Kitt arrive back from their investigations, they join the back of queue with Nils, McRaven and Callum who have now been relieved at the warehouse by Gunnar and James, and also Olof who keenly awaited Jack’s return from Brackman’s office.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:37 pm
by Decrepit
Anticipating questions, Jack says, "Brackman was a bust. His receptionist gave me the kind of look I haven't seen since I last talked to one of the former Mrs. Wilsons.

"However, it sounds like he's going to be at the Commander's funeral, along with Philip. Kitt and I were already going, but now it's doubly important that we be there.

"I did manage to pick up some information from the police on the Lexington case, but I'm going to need some time to go through it. I may be able to tell you more in the morning."

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:28 pm
by Henrik
"Nicely done, Jack, Kitt. A shame about Brackman but I guess we can get to him tomorrow. Do you need help with the material about Lexington? I would not mind doing some late night reading." Olof had hoped for more information about Brackman but he does not believe that he would have succeeded in learning more where Jack learnt nothing.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:11 pm
by Decrepit
"Well, thanks for the compliment, but I don't feel like I got much," Jack replies. "For whatever reason, that receptionist took an instant dislike to me.

"Thanks for the offer to sift through all this reading material. Maybe that would help; I'm not sure. Kitt and I started reading through it in the cab ride to Brackman's, but I'm not sure there's a good way to divide up the work. I'll let you know."

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:52 pm
by Henrik
"Okay. If you need me, don't be afraid to ask." Olof's attention turns back to Sykes and the artic clothing. The fitting has been a reminder that they actually is going to embark on an expedition in two days!

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:54 pm
by Raiko
SS Gabrielle – Pier 74, New York Docks, Hudson River
The Afternoon – Thursday 7th September 1933

The Captain’s Office
Characters Present: Starkweather, Captain Vredenburg, Jack, Sean

[OOC: I’ll assume that Sean is coming along with Jack, I’ll post an image of Vredenburg later]

Jack and Sean are warmly greeted by Starkweather as they enter the Captain’s office, on the boat deck of the Gabrielle. He gives each of them his usual firm handshake as they step through the door.

“Jack, Sean good to see you again! Terrible, terrible news about Commander Douglas, but Captain Vredenburg here has kindly agreed to take command of the Gabrielle for us on very short notice,” Starkweather points to the other man in the room, a stocky bearded gentleman wearing the uniform of a merchant marine captain. He nods to the two journalists while the English expedition leader continues in his normal enthusiastic tone.

“The captain has sailed before with First Officer Turlow on another ship, so the two know each other well. He’s agreed to an exclusive interview with you Jack, and for Sean to take a few photographs.”

Elsewhere on the pier…
Characters Present: Moore, Everyone Else

The loading of the expedition’s fuel and aircraft begins on schedule midway through the afternoon, there are a total of 22,000 gallons of fuel for the planes in 440 fifty gallon drums to be carefully loaded and secured into the #2 Lower Hold. The Fairchild Monoplane will then be securely lashed on top of them all.

The three disassembled Boeings will be secured in the #2 and #4 Tween-Deck Holds, along with two additional spare engines. The process of loading the expedition’s aircraft and their fuel requires the utmost care and will only be completed an hour or two before Saturday morning’s departure.

The pier is a hive of activity, all under the watchful eyes of Professor Moore, and James’ team of “Saboteur Hunters.”

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:46 pm
by Henrik
Olof's interest in all things technical is awakened by the sight of the aeroplanes. If there would be time he would have loved asking the technicians and the pilots about the planes, but now is hardly the proper time and place to disturb them in their important job, a job that if it would be sabotaged would ruin the whole expedition.

"It would be a masterstroke to sabotage the planes in some way" he thinks. "Perhaps..."

Olof turns to Kitt. "Who is checking the planes? I'd rest assured that someone like you took an extra examination of them and the fuel. If I was a saboteur I'd never miss the opportunity to sabotage the aeroplanes, if it was given."

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:22 am
by Steerpike
Olof turns to Kitt. "Who is checking the planes? I'd rest assured that someone like you took an extra examination of them and the fuel. If I was a saboteur I'd never miss the opportunity to sabotage the aeroplanes, if it was given."

Meanwhile....

McRaven checks of his list as the fuel is slowly and carefull loaded. He keeps a watchful eye on the proceedings as the crew go about the business of lashing the fuel drums together.

Taking nothing to chance, he looks over the stowed fuel before heading top deck to join some of the other pilots as the fairchild is loaded next.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:16 pm
by BlackGoat
After formalities Sean raises his camera a bit to signify he'd like a shot of the new captain.

"If you wouldn't mind Captain, A shot of you with Mr. Starkweather would be nice."

Preparing his Camera, He sets up a few photo's and proceeds to take them.

"Good to have you with us Captain." He smiles.

Sean thinks to himself.

Hopefully you don't turn up Ace Deuce aswell

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:13 pm
by Decrepit
"Captain Vredenberg," Jack says, "I suppose I should begin by saying thank you for joining the expedition on such short notice. It's a little odd for me to have to begin by thanking my interview subject, but this is a rather unusual circumstance.

"In any event, I'm wondering if you could tell me--oh, and my readers, of course--about your previous experience. About how familiar are you with the ice and all that."

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:26 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum goes for a quick look around the aircraft. He isnt normally interested in these kinds of things, but curiosity finally got the better of him. If I'm going to spending alot of my time in this flying 'Tin Can', I'd better show some interest in it.

When he's finished he resumes his duties, checking on the manifests.

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:57 pm
by Raiko
The Captain’s Office
Characters Present: Starkweather, Captain Vredenburg, Jack, Sean

Captain Henry Vredenburg

When Starkweather has properly introduced them, Captain Vredenburg greets both journalists with a handshake and a warm smile. After posing for a few photographs for Sean he offers everyone a seat, and a cup of coffee.

Once everyone is seated, Vredenburg starts to answer Jack’s questions, “Oh I’ve spent half of my life down there Jack, my father was a whaler and so was I. The Rorqual Whales are plentiful in the southern ocean, the Humpback in particular.

“I’ve spent years at a time down in those waters amongst the ice bergs, and into the packs themselves when they start to break in the spring,” Vredenburg looks thoughtful and says: “This will be the first time that I’ve gone as far as the Ice Shelf itself though.”

“It’s a pleasure for me to join your expedition, although I wish it could have been under happier circumstances.”

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:37 pm
by Laraqua
Henrik wrote: Olof turns to Kitt. "Who is checking the planes? I'd rest assured that someone like you took an extra examination of them and the fuel. If I was a saboteur I'd never miss the opportunity to sabotage the aeroplanes, if it was given."

Kitt
gives him a shocked look. "Oh no, what a terrible thought. I must ensure that they've all the equipment we need." She rushes off to make sure that the planes are all in working order, tenderly checking each small piece. The idea that she might not be able to fly these stings her and she will spend each and every hour possible trying to organise other mechanics on their spare moments, using her feminine wiles if she has to, just to make sure they'll be in working order when they move off.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:52 pm
by OrionUK
James rests only when necessary as he is spending every spare moment walking around the compounds and equipment looking for anyone or anything that might look suspicious. He spends twice as long around the aircraft and other areas of importance to ensure nothing is done to the equipment.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:14 pm
by Henrik
Olof looks around to see if someone needs his help with anything.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:16 pm
by Decrepit
In response to the captain, Jack says, "Thank you, Captain. Your resume sounds very reassuring, and, as you know, I have a more than casual interest in seeing that this expedition comes off safely." He smiles a bit, hoping to ingratiate himself with the captain.

"I'm curious, though, how a man of your skill and experience became available on such short notice, and for what seems like a rather lengthy undertaking." He does not add "snakebit" to his description of the expedition, though he thinks it.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:31 pm
by Raiko
Vredenburg chuckles, "I'm afraid these hard times hit the whaling company as well, we were owned by a bigger consortium who were badly hit in '29. They never recovered and eventually took the whaling business under with them. The ships were sold by the creditors"

"So Mr Starkweather came to me at a time that I was out of work. I may well retire after this little adventure, but if not then hopefully you can make me famous enough to find easy employment elsewhere! Eh Jack?"

The captain laughs louder.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:46 pm
by Decrepit
"Sure thing, Captain," Jack says. smiling, for some reason feeling a renewed optimism in this expedition. Something about the sailor's manner suggested confidence.

Jack continues asking some more routine questions for the sake of form, but any thought that the sailor would have any genuinely useful information for him had faded to nothing.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:36 pm
by Raiko
The Afternoon – Thursday 7th September, 1933

Captain Vredenburg shakes each man’s hand again before they leave, “It’s good to have met you both, now I must spend as much time getting to know my crew as possible. Good day.”

Cargo loading operations continue throughout the afternoon and evening without any hitch. By the time darkness falls, all the fuel drums have been loaded into the #2 Lower Hold and securely dunnaged. Each of the three layers of 55 gallon tanks are separated by a layer of 1” x 6” dunnage boards, with an additional layer of boards placed on top.

Work then begins to load the expedition’s Fairchild monoplane R.F. Scott aboard, atop the dunnaged drums. McRaven, Kitt and the other two aviators are joined by the engineers Miles and Huston as they watch the aeroplane being slowly hoisted into the air from its flatbed railroad truck.

Earlier in the afternoon they had examined the monoplane, and the three larger Boeings, aboard their trucks, and were satisfied that no sabotage had occurred.

Tomorrow the three Boeings will be loaded abroad the Gabrielle, first the Weddell , and the Enderby would be loaded into the #4 Lower and Tween-deck holds respectively, finally in the evening the Shackleton and the two spare Wasp radial engines will be loaded into the #2 tween deck hold.

During the night...

As part of the newly increased security, Moore assigns a separate night watchman to guard each Boeing during the night. They are armed only with a billy-club and whistle, but it’s better than nothing.

James, Callum, McRaven and the Sorensen brothers again spend the night watching over the warehouse and the pier, but again nothing of note occurs. The whole area is brightly floodlit and noisy throughout the night, as the process of pumping oil into the Gabrielle’s fuel tanks begins. All five are tired by time dawn breaks, as sleeping was almost impossible on the noisy pier, whilst not on watch.

Amherst Hotel – New York
08:30am – Friday 8th September, 1933

Those explorers who remained at the Amherst Hotel have a much quieter night, and sleep well. The morning newspapers all carry the story of Starkweather’s announcement that a new sea captain has been found for the expedition, although only Jack’s Daily News had the chance to actually interview Captain Vredenburg.

After his usual morning briefing about the current status of the expedition preparations Moore again mentions the funeral of Commander Douglas, “Captain Starkweather and myself will both be attending, and I know that a few of you have kindly offered to show your respects. The funeral will be held at St Brigit Cemetery at 11:30 this morning.”

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:08 pm
by Decrepit
Upon meeting his hotel-dwelling colleagues in the morning, Jack scratches his head and says, "Well, Kitt and I have been going through the police file on the Lexington case. Not much here really--more questions than answers.

"The police's theory is that Percival Lexington killed himself and that he did so owing to bad company finances. He apparently had a visitor the night he died, but no one knows who it was; still, the cops think it was suicide.

"Something doesn't add up, though. Like I said, the cops think it was because Percival was going bankrupt, but it seems like selling that Poe manuscript would've gone a long way toward putting him in the black. If that's so, why kill himself over it? Why not just sell the manuscript?"

Jack looks around. "Like everything else around here, lots of questions, no answers."

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:01 pm
by Henrik
"Perhaps he collected books? My father collects stamps and he wouldn't part with them for anything in the world." Olof chuckles. "But well, as far as I know my father's stamp collection is worthless. Does anyone know how much that Poe book is worth? Perhaps Lexington's debts were too large for him to pay?"

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:41 am
by Decrepit
"Maybe," Jack replies, "but it doesn't seem like you kill yourself when things look to be turning around. And then there's that mysterious visitor no one seems to know anything about. And the manuscript suddenly going missing and some fishy story about it being 'here somewhere.' It doesn't add up.

"But what do I know about suicides? I've been married and divorced twice. If I were going to end it all, I'd've done it long ago."

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:09 am
by Ghost_1971
Callum stretches out another long yawn, and pours out his third coffee of the morning. "Does anyone have any plans today? How about you Nils?"

"I cant wait to get this show on the road. I need to get climbing again soon."

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:26 pm
by Henrik
"The problem is that we don't have the time to speak with the Lexington woman. She seems to know more than she has told anyone. When does the funeral start? I need to get ready. I don't think I packed a black suit, but then I wasn't expecting to visit funerals as a part of an Antarctic expedition." Olof chuckles again.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:13 pm
by Decrepit
"We could try to talk to her after the funeral," Jack says.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:05 am
by Charles Graves
Entering the room holding a saucer in his left hand and sipping tea from a small cup held in his right, Graves looks up at the mention of Lexington.

"I've just asked at the reception desk and got the address of a place I'll be able to hire a suit that I can wear to the funeral. It'll need returning so if anyone would like to ask Ms Lexington anything they can use the excuse of returning it to get away."

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:16 am
by Decrepit
"Well, I could do it," Jack says. "I could use my job as a cover, if you will, although she surely knows that I'm working for the 'enemy.'"

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:35 am
by Laraqua
"Perhaps I could talk to her," says Kitt, at first quietly, then repeating herself louder. "I may be the 'enemy' but I'm sure she might be amused by the chance to talk to me in particular, considering, as it were, that we are apparently both rushing toward the same goal for the same purpose."

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:21 am
by Raiko
09:10am – Friday 8th September, 1933
Henrik wrote: I don't think I packed a black suit, but then I wasn't expecting to visit funerals as a part of an Antarctic expedition." Olof chuckles again.

The expedition’s new doctor Richard Greene crosses to the group as Olof is speaking, he is a young athletic looking man, standing a little under six feet in height.

“Hi I’m Richard Greene, I’ll be working with Professor Graves to keep you guys healthy. I’ve met the Professor already, and Moore of course, but I only arrived here yesterday evening so I thought I’d better introduce myself.”

After shaking everyone’s hands Greene turns to Olof, “I’ve got a spare black suit that would probably fit you if you’d like to borrow it?”

“I wish I was joining you guys at a happier time, but I thought I’d join you at the funeral.”

Dr Richard Greene

09:10am – Friday 8th September, 1933
Ghost_1971 wrote: Callum stretches out another long yawn, and pours out his third coffee of the morning. "Does anyone have any plans today? How about you Nils?"

"I cant wait to get this show on the road. I need to get climbing again soon."

Nils nods, “Yes, it will be good to climb again.” Walking away he says simply, “I shall check the gear again.”

As his older brother leaves Gunnar laughs and says, “On the ice he will speak even less!” In a comedy imitation of Nils he says, “You are a fool... you will die.”

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:29 am
by Laraqua
"Good evening, Doctor Greene," says Kitt, blushing a little. She managed to keep hold of her dignity by reaching out and shaking his hand briskly, just as she would have done had she been back home. It was far easier to do there, though. There hadn't been any men as handsome as this one back there. "I-I'm glad to have you overboard. Sit down and join us."

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:37 pm
by Henrik
"Oh, I'm most greatful Dr. Greene. You're saving me a lot of trouble." Edward looks a bit amused at Ms. Kitt's reaction when the handsome doctor enters.

"Nothing sways a girl like a handsome physician. Why are we engineer considered so unattractive?"

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:44 pm
by Decrepit
For some reason, Jack glares at the new doctor for a moment, then forces his face into its more typical smirk and his attitude into something like bonhomie.

"Good to meet you, Doctor," he says, shaking the man's hand. "Going the way this expedition has so far, we'll need all the help we can get with staying alive."

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:34 am
by Mister Juan
Like every single morning since he had arrived to New York, Isugtag was seated in one of the corner of the Rose Room, reading the morning’s newspaper and smoking his wood carved pipe. While out in the wilds of Yukon, the Inuit always had very little contact with the outside “civilized” world. His grasp of the modern Yankee society lacking in many parts, he had seen in as wise to instruct himself in their ways and world. And so, every morning, like clockwork, he would attempt to read the paper, cover to cover… even though he sometimes struggled with his English.

Also as usual, the strong man was keeping to himself, quiet through most discussions and sometime silent for entire days. Even more so since Douglas’ death had been announced. It was obvious that Grey Wolf saw the commander’s murder as his own failure to act.

This morning, Isugtag appeared slightly different from his usual self. He was still quiet and reserved, cocooned up in his own shell. But above all, he seemed tired. Dark bags had started to draw themselves under his eyes, and his usually keen eyes looked distracted. His gaze kept drifting off from his newspaper and out towards the windows… where he would just stare in space… as if looking at something only he could see.

When Greene entered the room, Isugtag snapped back to reality. As the young physician introduced himself, the tall Inuit simply bowed his head toward him, greeting him without getting up from his seat.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:59 am
by Charles Graves
Graves finishes his tea and heads off to pick up his suit.

"I'll be back before you all set off for the funeral. Dr Greene, would you care to join me to discuss the medical plans for the trip? You can also pick up the suit for Mr Eriksson."

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:39 pm
by Laraqua
"If there's no disagreements, I think I might see if I could arrange, perhaps, for a conversation between myself and Lexington, since we are completing a similar trial," Kitt says, then smiles. "At the very least, she might relish the chance to call me a fool and try to convince me not to go, to ensure that she will get there first."

"Perhaps it would be even more interesting to her if Jack were to come with me. That should surely be interesting press for both of our expeditions. Two potential first women to set foot over there, potentially getting into a terrific fight... Oh, I don't know. I suppose it sounds rather silly. This is all so complicated. Things were much simpler when I merely focused on being an aviator."

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:06 am
by Raiko
09:15am – Friday 8th September, 1933

Greene flashes a quick smile at Kitt before following Professor Graves towards the stairs, “See you later guys, Olof you may as well come up for the suit.”

St Brigit Cemetery – Lower Manhattan, New York
11:30am – Friday 8th September, 1933
Characters Present: Jack, Kitt, Graves, Olof, Isugtag, Maurice, Starkweather, Moore

St Brigit Cemetery is a small cemetery located near to the middle of lower Manhattan, a peaceful clearing in the middle of the urban jungle. The memorial ceremony for Commander Douglas is brief and sparsely attended. Along with Starkweather, Moore, and the investigators are Philip Douglas (the Commander’s brother), Gerald Brackman, two older men with the look of the sea about them, and a journalist Jack recognises as Gary Hawkes of the New York Post. Hawkes nods to Jack when he spots him.

Detective Hansen also attends, watching the proceedings from a discrete distance, his face impassive.

The pastor reads a tribute to Commander Douglas that lists his accomplishments as a man of the sea, and then short prayer. Philip Douglas shakes hands with the pastor, exchanges a few words with him and with Mr. Brackman, and gets ready to leave. Both Starkweather and Moore make their way across to Phillip to offer their condolences.

12:10pm – Friday 8th September, 1933
Characters Present: James, Callum, McRaven, Sean, the Sorenson Brothers.

The investigators are working in the semi darkness of the #3 Tween-deck hold, which has now been closed ready for the voyage and is illuminated only by temporary cluster lights slung from the twelve foot high ceiling.

The boredom of rechecking the contents of the hold again, lest any last minute mistakes have been made is interrupted by Gunnar Sorenson shouting down through the open ceiling hatch,

“Guys, guys, come quickly! You must see this!”

welcome interlude

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 pm
by Steerpike
McRaven felt like he was slipping into a daze, the endless lists, the reptitive scanning of hold contents, it all seemed to be blurring together.
The old soldiers phrase of "hurry up and wait" never seemed to apt. And there was the tension, building up like a stormfront waiting to break...it was getting intolerable.

Then came the shout through the hatch. McRaven looked up from yet another crate of supplies to see the exited face of one the sorenson brothers...Gunnat.

The pilot moved quickly to the ladders and started on his way up. Any opportunity to break the tedium was welcome.

"Whats up Gunnar? What have you found?"

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:27 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum makes his way through the storage hold, to see what Gunnar has found.

"Nothing bad I hope Gunnar?"

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:14 pm
by BlackGoat
After the way things have been going Sean's heart has instantly sunk and can feel a negative vibe. He knows this is probably going to be yet another set back, or worse. He readies himself as best he can and sets his attention to Gunnar.

Thinking to himself...
what could possibly happen now...

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:01 pm
by Henrik
Olof follows Starkweather and Moore and offers his condolences as well. He thinks of something to ask the captain's brother about, but decides against it. This is not the proper time for such questions. He then tries to catch up with Brackman to get a chat with him. He also looks towards Jack and motions him to follow. Olof still feels hampered by the English language and he always feels that it's safer to have the journalist around when asking questions that might make someone upset if asked clumsily.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 am
by Decrepit
Seeing Olof move toward Brackman, Jack casts a glance in Philip's direction but thinks better of it and trots after Olof. Brackman was little more than a name written down, but maybe he knew something. It was also more ... seemly to go after him than after the grieving brother, Jack supposed.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:50 am
by Laraqua
Kitt wanders over to Phillip, feeling extremely self-conscious. "Uh, excuse me? Hi. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss and that if you needed anyone to talk to ... about, well, how sad you are, well... Sometimes it helps to talk?" She stopped and stared lamely at him. She didn't know anything else to say and certainly wasn't about to barrage him with questions. A part of her hoped he'd just reveal all in conversations.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:20 pm
by Raiko
11:55am – Friday 8th September, 1933
Characters Present: Jack, Kitt, Graves, Olof, Isugtag, Maurice, Starkweather, Moore

Brackman turns as Olof and Jack approach him, “Hello, can I help you gentlemen?”

“That’s very kind of you, erm Miss Knight I take it? I’ve read about you in the newspapers.”

Phillip shrugs, “I’ll be ok, and I hope that your expedition goes well, although I’m surprised that my brother offered to join you. I never thought that he’d return to Antarctica.”

Nearby the two old sailors say a last word of respect over Commander Douglas’ grave and turn to leave.

As everybody scrambles to the top of the short ladder and out onto the Gabrielle’s deck, Gunnar leads them forward toward the bow.

When they get there Nils lowers his field binoculars and smiles grimly as he points downstream along the Hudson:

“It looks like Acacia moved her schedule as well... Mr Starkweather will not be a happy man.”

Near to the lower tip of Manhattan the investigators can all see the SS Tallahassee, Acacia Lexington’s ship being towed towards the ocean by two tugs.

A loud disturbance can be heard from on the pier itself.

SS Tallahassee -- © Chaosium 1999

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:18 pm
by Laraqua
"Oh," says Kitt. "Why wouldn't he want to? Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to pry. It's just that I've been ever so excited about the journey. I really can't rather think of a reason why someone wouldn't want to go."

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:52 pm
by Decrepit
"Mr. Brackman, hello. I'm Jack Wilson, a member of this expedition. This is Olof, another member.

"I dropped by your office the other day, but your receptionist made it quite clear that you weren't available. Perhaps she told you Miss Knight and I stopped by? In any event, Olof and I would like a word with you.

"I'll come to the point, as there isn't much time. I--or, rather, we--have some ... concerns about this expedition, apart from the usual dangers of the ice, and we have reason to believe that the late captain here had been in contact with you immediately prior to his unfortunate death. Given that you're here, I'm sure you're concerned about getting to the bottom of all of this, and, frankly, I am too, given that my neck's on the line, or maybe the chopping block."

Jack continues, urgently, almost breathlessly. "If there's anything he told you that might help us find the truth, we would very much like to hear it."

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:56 pm
by Raiko

The lawyer listens to Jack’s plea, but is unmoved. Shaking his head slowly Brackman says, “I’m afraid that what Commander Douglas discussed with me is confidential, I cannot possibly speak to you about a client’s private affairs, even a dead one’s.”

“However I don’t suppose that there is any harm in telling you that my business with the Commander did not relate to your expedition in any way.”

As far as Jack and Olof can tell, the lawyer is telling the truth.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:30 pm
by Raiko

[OOC: Oops, I missed Laraqua’s post!]
Laraqua wrote: "Oh," says Kitt. "Why wouldn't he want to? Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to pry. It's just that I've been ever so excited about the journey. I really can't rather think of a reason why someone wouldn't want to go."

“J.B. came to stay with me on the farm for a few months after his return from Antarctica. During those months he swore over and over again that he would never return to the ice.”

“You must understand that my brother was a changed man when he returned from that expedition. During the voyage back North he had to have two fingers amputated due to frostbite. The person who stayed with me was a sombre, introspective man given to long spells of brooding, during which he would, well...”

Phillip looks somewhat embarrassed, “...he would drink to excess.” Shaking his head Phillip continues, “During these drinking bouts J.B. would ramble on with wild, sometimes incoherent stories of the things that had happened there, and eventually would fall into a drunken sleep.”

“But his sleep too would be disturbed by those same events. When he awoke though he would always deny having ever told those stories.”

Kitt senses that Phillip is unsure whether to speak of these stories and dreams, he changes the subject slightly without elaborating further, “Eventually after about three months, the drinking bouts and nightmares became less and less frequent. After six months they had ended completely, he left shortly after and returned to the sea, but never ventured to the far south again.”

“I haven’t seen his since, though we do correspond if only infrequently. The last that I’d heard from him was a telegram saying that he planned to visit me early this month, but he was murdered before he had chance to visit.”

“When I arrived in the city, I was frankly surprised to learn that he’d agreed to join your expedition at all, though perhaps time has healed even his mental scars. Your Captain Starkweather speaks highly of him so perhaps my brother at least found his peace before his death.”

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:37 pm
by Laraqua
"I've sometimes had nightmares, too, though normally of mundane things that are inexplicably scary," Kitt says, smiling sadly. "It must be a terrible thing. I wonder why the change of heart? Well, thank you for trying to explain. I... I appreciate you being so nice as to tell me. It puts my mind at ease that it was more a kind of shell shock and less any real concrete fear."

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:54 pm
by Decrepit
Without anything more concrete to go on, Jack says, "Oh, I understand, Mr. Brackman. I'd just assumed that you cared enough about Captain Douglas to try to help someone get to the bottom of what happened to him, and what might happen to us as well. I apologize for accusing you of giving a damn. Good day."

Jack turns on his heel and prepares to stomp off. It's not even so much that Brackman has upset him; it's that there had been some tantalizing clues spread 'round but no answers to the numerous questions that had been forming and reforming in his mind. Quickly looking around, Jack scans to see whether Hansen is still around. He sees Kitt talking to the late captain's brother. Well, maybe she got something out of him, he thinks.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:43 pm
by Raiko
Raiko wrote: A loud disturbance can be heard from on the pier itself.

Nils turns his attention away from Acacia's ship and goes to look on the pier, "What the hell's happening now?"

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:14 pm
by Ghost_1971
Callum follows close behind Nils, also keen to see what is happening on the pier......

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:19 am
by Henrik
Olof is surprised by Jack's outburst. He turns to Brackman. "You'll have to excuse my friend, Mr. Brackman. We have been investigating this matter, but seems to have got stuck. We're scheduled to leave tomorrow and we'd hope to get to the bottom of this thing before we do. I understand that you can't answer questions about the legal matters of your client, but can you answer this. Did the commander seem nervous the last time you spoke with him? Was his mood changed in any way?"

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:32 pm
by Raiko

The nature of the disturbance is immediately obvious, a large number of police officers have entered the pier and are starting to round up all of the stevedores. Half a dozen other cops are following two suited men up the Gabrielle’s gangway.

The leader, one of the two suits, identifies himself to Nils and an angry looking First Office Turlow as soon as he steps onto the deck, “Richard Parker, Treasury Department – Bureau of Prohibition

“This ship is impounded and nobody is to leave, we have received information that it is being used to transport contraband in violation of the Volstead Act

In his hand he holds a signed warrant.

In the distance the Tallahassee and her tugs continue to steam slowly towards the ocean, carrying Acacia Lexington and her team to Antarctica.

Brackman doesn’t look too disturbed by Jack’s outburst, “It’s ok I understand your friend’s frustration.”

“I didn’t notice anything unusual about Commander Douglas, and as I said his business with me did not relate to your expedition in any way.”

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:28 pm
by OrionUK
James steps forward "Sir you must be aware of the exact nature that this ship is being used for as it has been in the newspapers for the last week or so. This is very clearly a delay tactic that the Lexington expedition is using to delay our departure and, therefore, wasting your & our time and the publics tax. You should be aware that we have a very prominent news reporter within our crew who will take great pleasure in reporting this rediculous impounding & delaying of our expedition"

"May I suggest you go back to your highest superior to re-check this allegation and get back to us, at the very earliest convenience, as to your intentions. I would also be very greatly distressed to find that any funds have been passed by anybody from our rival expedition to the treasury department and would have full intention in funding an investigation into everybodies personal bank account to see if this is a matter of corruption"

James has a very stern and unwaivering look on his face that shows he has every intention in following through with the threat.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:13 pm
by Raiko

“You’re English aren’t you?”

From the look on Parker’s face it is obvious that he doesn’t care for Anglos, “Sir I do not appreciate you accusing me or my men of corruption, or making thinly veiled threats.”

“If you have a complaint to make then I suggest you contact the Treasury Department, or the Attorney General; but if you utter one more word to hinder this federal investigation I shall have you arrested and deported.”

Parker turns to Turlow, “Sir you will provide access to the cargo holds, we’ll need to check everything in the holds. Your crew will remain onboard at all times”

Turning back to the explorers he says, “You will be taken back to your hotel, where you will remain until the contents of the hold are checked.”

The Lobby – Anherst Hotel, New York
12:30pm – Friday 8th September, 1933

Those who attended the funeral arrive back at the Amherst and find it full of cops and Prohibition agents as well.

Upon learning of his ship’s impounding and of Alacia’s departure, Starkweather is understandably apoplectic with rage, “THAT CONIVING BITCH!!!”

“Moore! MOORE!!!”

“It’s her I tell you Moore! That woman is THE DEVILS SPAWN I tell you!!!”

Storming across to Jack the English explorer says, “Jack call your editor! This is preposterous! I won’t stand for it! Not this time!

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:43 am
by Decrepit
Yes, your eminence, thinks Jack, though he's not (quite) annoyed enough at the world to say it out loud.

Besides, this could be a good story ...

He heads for a telephone to call Patterson with the little he knows and to ask for a photographer to head down to the docks.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:49 am
by Henrik
It takes a couple of minutes before Olof can figure out what has actually happened. Everyone is upset and it's not easy for the Swedish engineer to piece together the whole history of what has unfolded during the funeral. Since he feels that he can't do much about the present circumstances Olof goes up to his room and switches to a suit of his own. He's careful to hang up the borrowed suit carefully so it won't get wrinkled. He then goes down to the lobby again to see what happens. He decides to return the suit later since right now is certainly not a good time.