Page 1 of 1

Prologue

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:33 pm
by kabukiman
The Amherst Hotel, 9. AM

You all arrived to make an interview to see if you may be accepted in the expedition (you don't know each other at this point). It will be Starkweather himself that will speak with you.
A clerk in the lobby simply points you to a queue that starts outside the hotel and goes up the stairs. You are all the last ones to arrive, so you may speak if you want to know each other (you have plenty of time, or I can skip to the interview).

Re: Prologue

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:50 am
by Snapper

MacDuff trudged in looking slightly grumpy. He was in battered tweeds and a serviceable Royal Navy tie, and had an equally battered fedora in one hand. The man himself was solid and perhaps slightly pudgy, weather-beaten, with greying ginger hair, a short beard and a long-ago broken nose. He paused to light a cigarette, offering his pack of Lucky Strikes to anyone interested.

"Ah hate interviews. They already have mah resume, they can make up their minds from that." He spoke with a distinctly Scottish accent. "Hire me or be damned."

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Katie Wright enters, wearing her flight jacket and trousers. She has a feeling she'll have a better chance by looking the part rather than trying to pretty herself. She has red hair and is tall and a little on the slim side, and a large part of her weight is muscle. "Hi, I'm Katie Wright," she says. "I'm an aviatrix."

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:11 am
by Snapper

"'Aviatrix'? I have no heard the term before but I ken the idea. As long as you can take off and land without killing me, I'm happy. I knew a few Naval pilots during the War, mad bastards to a man, pardon my French. Not too many of them survived. But I think I'd rather fly with you than those that did, and I don't even know you."

"I'm MacDuff, cartographer, by the way. Pleased to meet you and here's hoping we don't die in a horrible plane crash together."
Despite the fatalism and gruff language, the Scotsman held out a hand politely.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Katie shakes his hand with a grip almost as strong as his. "Pleased to meet you," she says. "You won't have to worry on that score. I haven't crashed a plane yet. Granted, I'm young, but I'm an excellent pilot, even if I do say so myself."

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:23 am
by Snapper

"As a general rule, I have no time for people who claim to be more than they are. But I do feel self confidence is an asset for a pilot. You have to trust your own judgement and skills, because often enough you're all there is between life and death."

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:44 am
by aine

"That's lovely, hold it there....." There is an instantaneous bright flash, "And..... we're done. Thank you!" A man, slim, handsome and with a cheeky smile, stands up from behind a large photgraphic camera that you hadn't noticed until now. He winks at Katie and then moves in to shake hands with Katie and MacDuff.

"Martin LeBlanc, potential expedition photographer (if I can sabotage that impertinent upstart who got here earlier)." He looks up the stairs to where another photographer is busy snapping his collegues with a small camera.

"He's got a 35mm, damn him." He looks sheepishly at his own box camera. "Due to an unfortunate incident last week I'm reduced to this old 'Brilliant'. Only it's not particularly."

He grins, "I've got a new one arriving next week; if I can get on this show."

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Katie Wright, pilot," says Katie, shaking Martin's hand, her grip much stronger than his.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:18 am
by Snapper

MacDuff frowned, blinking his eyes several times. "Do not make a habit of taking photographs of me without warning me first. I do not enjoy being blinded."

"I'm MacDuff, like the play."
Making a visible effort to reign in his temper, MacDuff shook the offered hand.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:35 pm
by aine
“MacDuff, Ms Wright. A pleasure to meet you. Have you been to the Antarctic before? I’ve had some polar training in the Artic Circle but I hear it’s a different kettle of fish in the Southern Hemisphere.” Martin looks at the other people in the queue.
“ Not many here who look like they’d be up to it. You two look like you’ve had some experience however.”

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm likewise pleased," says Katie. "I've never been to Antarctica before - few have - but I hope to remedy that. I have flown up to Canada and Alaska, over the Canadian Rockies, so I do have some experience in cold weather, but yes, I've also heard the south is different."

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:37 am
by Snapper

"Aye, much of my map making has been about the North Atlantic and the last few years in Canada. Cold is cold."

"I understand there are no bears of any colour in the Antarctic, that is a good start. On the other hand, if we get into trouble, we'll have to be ready to solve the problem ourselves. Because no one else will be about to rescue us."

MacDuff smoked his cigarette in silence after that, contemplating.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:10 pm
by kabukiman
9h45
You are already inside the building, near the stairs. The interviews seem to be quick.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, no bears there," says Katie. "The only animal life I know of there are penguins, and they're not particularly dangerous. Still, there could be undiscovered animals there. I plan to bring a shotgun, just in case."

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:53 am
by Snapper

MacDuff smoked for a bit, brooding. "Aye, you have the right of it. Most of that vast waste has never been seen by man. Maybe there are white bears there? Fearsome creatures. Or there could be undiscovered tribesmen, such as live in the Arctic."

"I met some of the crew of the Endurance, back in my Navy days. Shackleton was an amazing captain, god rest him. Kept them alive with good leadership, force of will, and of course the fact the crew selected were excellent. But it proves the point, if it goes wrong, you are on your own in the Antarctic wastes."

"Poor Captain Sir Ernest Shackleton, the candle that burns bright, burns quick."

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"And Scott," says Katie. "He never made it back."

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:37 pm
by Snapper

"Scott of the Antarctic? Aye, a most terrible example of what happens when disaster strikes on that white continent."

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:58 pm
by aine
“I’m sure we’ll have a team of Amundsens- nothing to worry about there. And I plan to do my shooting with a camera.” Quips Martin.
@I say, this queue is moving fast; I wonder what the interview process involves.”

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:41 pm
by kabukiman
You are already upstairs and can see the door (near three hours have passed).
On the other hand, there is a lot of people behind you...

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"There sure is a lot of competition," says Katie. "I had no idea so many people want to go to Antarctica."

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:34 am
by kabukiman
You advance quickly and you are finally outside the door; it opens and you see a young fellow not very satisfied leaving it. You hear a voice inside:
"NEXT!"

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:15 am
by Snapper

MacDuff briefly contemplated social convention versus his genuine desire to get the interview done. He gestured for Wright to go ahead.

"Aviatrices first, I believe."

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Katie, pleased both by his politeness and that he knew the correct plural term. She enters through the door.

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:24 am
by Snapper
OOC:   I presume these interviews will take place one by one, not the 3 PCs together?  

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:31 am
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:24 am
OOC:   I presume these interviews will take place one by one, not the 3 PCs together?  
OOC: Yes.

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:11 am
by aine
Martin eyes up the competition whilst they wait.
“I don’t know that I want to trust my life to these rabble.
Do you think we get the chance to back out once we meet the other chosen candidates?”

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:28 am
by Snapper

MacDuff gave the question a second or two of serious thought. "Well, there's no slavery in civilised countries anymore, you can always resign at any time. Until you are on the high seas or on that white continent, of course. Not much to be gained by resigning then."

"The problem is whether you have given your word that you will commit to the expedition, and as a separate issue, what harm it will do your reputation if you pull out at the last minute."

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:31 am
by kabukiman
Katie
The room is ample, you see a desk (full of papers), with three men. One you know from the photos, is James Starkweather. He is in his late 40's, strongly built, tall, (1,80) with a tan and a moustache. He looks surprised (more shocked actually) and exclaims:
"What are you doing here?"

You also know one of the others, William Moore, the expedition co-leader (a professor in Arkham: he has glasses, a small beard, and he looks more fragile that Starkweather) and a third character that you don't know (he is writing something), very pale and and even thinner than Moore.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Mr. Starkweather, gentlemen," says Katie, "I'm here to apply to join your expedition. My name is Katie Wright. I'm a pilot."

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:07 am
by kabukiman
"Miss, with all the respect, this isn't a place to a women. This will be a hard and dangerous expedition".

You can see that he hardly conceals his contempt.

Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"I appreciate your concern," says Katie, "but I'm tougher than I look. Tougher than most men, in fact. I'm young, healthy, and quite capable of enduring cold temperatures and harsh conditions."

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:35 pm
by kabukiman
"And what experience you have?"

He doesn't seem convinced at all.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I learned to fly starting when I was in my early teens," says Katie. "It kind of runs in the family. Wilbur and Orville are distant cousins of mine. I have thousands of flight hours, most of them solo flying. I've flown as far south as Mexico and as far north as Canada and Alaska. I've flown over the Canadian Rockies on that last flight. More recently I flew across the Atlantic solo, but I wasn't the first woman to do so. Amelia beat me to it by several months. Amelia Earhart, that is."

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:38 am
by kabukiman
"Well, we will call you if we need you, but I doubt, since we have a lot of more ... experienced pilots. Thank you for coming and have a nice day. Next!"
With this, he shows you that the interview is over and he takes you to the door.

OOC. Mr Handy, please roll listen.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your consideration," says Katie as she leaves.

Listen roll (25% base skill) leaving the office:
d%

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:13 am
by kabukiman
Katie don't hear anything.

OOC: Who is the next?

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:06 pm
by Snapper

MacDuff gave LeBlanc a quick look of apology. "I believe I'm next in the queue."

With that, he strode into the interview room and gave the occupants a respectful nod each. "Gentlemen, I'm MacDuff, cartographer. I believe you have my references."

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Starkweather doesn't seem to like women," says Katie after she comes back out of the office. "My youth will also work against me, even though I've been flying a lot. He said they have more experienced pilots, and he doubts they'll need me, but they'll give me a call if they do."

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:10 pm
by aine
“He’s probably just saying that to impress the sponsors.” Martin replies. “But there wasn’t even a short list or anything?” He looks concerned.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"If there was, I didn't make it," says Katie. "Still, that's just Starkweather's opinion. Moore and the other fellow didn't speak, but they could overrule him. Both of them are much smaller and weaker than I am. If they can go to Antarctica, so can I."

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:23 pm
by kabukiman
Snapper wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:06 pm Image

MacDuff gave LeBlanc a quick look of apology. "I believe I'm next in the queue."

With that, he strode into the interview room and gave the occupants a respectful nod each. "Gentlemen, I'm MacDuff, cartographer. I believe you have my references."
He makes a quick glance to Moore and then says
"Ah yes, I remember, We read your papers and indeed you seem just what we need. You will participating in a one time in a life opportunity! The entire world will be looking at us,and our names will be remember as long as there is courage in humankind! Congratulations, you are now a member of our expedition! One of my collegues will give you the adequate papers and you can already stay in this hotel." (the third member of the trio give you a bunch of papers).

He takes you to the door and then shouts:
"NEXT!

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:36 am
by Snapper

MacDuff nodded politely again. "Thank you, gentlemen, I will not let you down." With that, holding the papers provided, he headed out to make way for the next interview

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"That was fast," says Katie.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:46 am
by Snapper

Out of sight of the interview room, MacDuff looked at Katie and shrugged modestly. Quietly, he said, "I'm not sure I ken what decided them but I suppose they were in need of a cartographer and had no more time to waste looking. Good luck to you though."

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Katie. "Maybe your reputation preceded you. I hope I get to go with you."

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:31 pm
by Snapper

"Maybe they want people who won't much be missed if they're lost on the expedition, whose demise wouldn't attract much interest from the papers, y'ken?" Macduff's tone has become hushed and conspiratorial, but he raised an eyebrow with amusement. "We'll have to see how the photographer does."

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"That could be," says Katie. "I am a Wright, but I'm not exactly as famous as my distant cousins. Or as Amelia Earhart. I can just imagine the headlines if she disappeared."

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:08 pm
by Snapper

Macduff shrugged again. "Maybe any aviatrix missing would be too much unpleasant coverage in the papers for their preference." . With that, he fell into a brooding silence.

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 pm
by aine
Martin steps into the room.
“Good morning, Gentlemen.

I’m Martin Le Blanc, expedition photographer on various artic circle expeditions, also those in Les Alpes, Northern Territories and most extreme of all, The Cairngorms. I’m sure you have all experienced the Scottish Highlands; it’s not high, it’s not vast but the weather makes the European climbers tremble.

“As you can see from this old camera, I can take pictures with any equipment and I’m very handy with fixing it; all gadgets really. My Aunt is the formidable explorer Hettie Le Blanc, you must have heard of her exploits in Rhodesia. Exploration runs in the family.

“Now, if you’ll all look this way and say, ‘Sign here, Mr Le Blanc…. ( there is a bright flash ) … excellent, that by the way is as my own salts of magnesium, engineered to work at very low temperatures, including that caused by your present expressions…. Er….”

Martin grins uncertainly.

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:29 pm
by kabukiman
aine wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 pm Martin steps into the room.
“Good morning, Gentlemen.

I’m Martin Le Blanc, expedition photographer on various artic circle expeditions, also those in Les Alpes, Northern Territories and most extreme of all, The Cairngorms. I’m sure you have all experienced the Scottish Highlands; it’s not high, it’s not vast but the weather makes the European climbers tremble.

“As you can see from this old camera, I can take pictures with any equipment and I’m very handy with fixing it; all gadgets really. My Aunt is the formidable explorer Hettie Le Blanc, you must have heard of her exploits in Rhodesia. Exploration runs in the family.

“Now, if you’ll all look this way and say, ‘Sign here, Mr Le Blanc…. ( there is a bright flash ) … excellent, that by the way is as my own salts of magnesium, engineered to work at very low temperatures, including that caused by your present expressions…. Er….”

Martin grins uncertainly.
He is simply delighted to see a photographer and shakes your hand
"That is excelent! Not only you will have the oportunity to see and record things that no human ever saw, but your photos will be no doubt printed in all over the world!"

When you photograph him, he immediatly makes a more heroic pose; you can see that he is acustomated to this kind of situation; the other two persons on the contrary, seem to try to blend with the shadows of the room, not confortable with being in the spotlight.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 am
by kabukiman
With this, he congratulates you, and you are given the instructions of what room you will get. He resumes then receiving other candidates.

Martin and Macduff have been chosen. Katie seems not.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:56 pm
by Snapper

"Aye well, I'm sorry, Miss Wright, I hope it works out for you. I'm off now to see to my room." Macduff gave a polite if slightly curt nod and headed off in search of his room. As he went, he leafed through the paperwork provided by his new employer.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:04 pm
by aine
“Golly, What are they thinking!” Martin exclaims to Katie. “A woman is just as good as a chap in most situations. And you’re certainly better than most of these decrepit ex- war birds in the queue. Are you going to stick around? Maybe they’ll all die of old age overnight.” He smiles gallantly.

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you both," says Katie with a smile. "I'll stick around. There's always a chance."